I LOST MY HEAD - THE CHRYSALIS YEARS (1975-1980)

Gentle Giant

1. Just The Same (5.34)
2. On Reflection (5.43)
3. Free Hand (6.15)
4. Time To Kill (5.09)
5. His Last Voyage (6.27)
6. Talybont (2.43)
7. Mobile (5.03)
Bonus tracks
8. 1976 Intro Tape (previously unreleased) (1.39)
9. Just The Same (John Peel session) (6.00)
10, Free Hand (John Peel session) (6.05)
11. On Reflection (John Peel session) (5.42)
12. Give It Back (International 7" mix) (3.48)
13. I Lost My Head (7" mix) (3.29)

DISC 2
5. Empty City (4.39)
6. Timing (4.39)
7. I Lost My Head (6.55)

THE MISSING PIECE (1977)
8. Two Weeks In Spain (3.06)
9. I'm Turning Around (3.59)
10. Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It (2.25)
11. Who Do You Think You Are? (3.36)
12. Mountain Time (3.23)
13. As Old As You're Young (4.21)
14. Memories Of Old Days (7.19)
15. Winning (4.17)
16. For Nobody (4.07)

DISC 3
PLAYING THE FOOL (LIVE 1976)
1. (a) Just The Same/(b) Proclamation (11.17)
2. On Reflection (6.27)
3. Excerpts from 'Octopus' (15.39)
4. Funny Ways (8.31)
5. (a) The Runaway/(b) Experience (9.31)
6. So Sincere (10.19)
7. Free Hand (7.40)
8. Sweet Georgia Brown (1.22)
9 (a) Peel The Paint/(b) I Lost My Head (7.28)

DISC 4
GIANT FOR A DAY (1978)
1. Words From The Wise (4.16)
2. Thank You (4.50)
3. Giant For A Day (3.51)
4. Spookie Boogie (2.55)
5. Take Me (3.37)
6. Little Brown Bag (3.29)
7. Friends (2.01)
8. No Stranger (2.31)
9. It's Only Goodbye (4.20)
10. Rock Climber (3.53)
Bonus tracks
11. Thank You (7" single edit A) (3.50)
12. Words From The Wise (7" single edit B) (3.04)

CIVILIAN (1980)
13. Convenience (Clean And Easy) (3.13)
14. All Through The Night (4.23)
15. Shadows On The Street (3.16)
16. Number One (4.47)
17. Underground (3.49)
18. I Am A Camera (3.32)
19. Inside Out (5.52)
20 It's Not Imagination (4.04)

Search GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) lyrics

Search GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) tabs

- Derek Shulman/ vocals, saxes, alto sax, descant recorder, bass & percussion
- Ray Shulman/ bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals & percussion
- Kerry Minnear/ keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals & percussion
- Gary Green/ electric, acoustic & 12 string guitars, alsto & descant recorder, vocals & percussion
- John Weathers/ drums, tambour, vibes, percussion & backing vocals

Albums remastered by Fred Kervorkian at Avatar Studios, NYC from the original 1/4 inch tapes through 24bit 96K hi-reolution transfer.Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios, London.
Disc 1 tracks 8-13 and disc 4 tracks 11 & 12 previously unreleased on CD.

Thanks to faroutsider for the addition
and to AtomicCrimsonRush for the last updates

GENTLE GIANT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) Music

The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)
Alucard 2014
Three FriendsThree Friends
Alucard 2011
Acquiring the TasteAcquiring the Taste
Eastworld Records 2012
I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980
Box set · Import
EMI Import 2012
Playing the Fool: The Official LivePlaying the Fool: The Official Live
Gentle Giant/Acquiring the TasteGentle Giant/Acquiring the Taste
BGO Records 2012
InterviewInterview
Alucard Records 2010
GENTLE GIANT FIRST ALBUM collectible progressive rock GERMAN VERTIGO 1990 CD US $23.00 Buy It Now 31m 47s
GENTLE GIANT - LIVE IN ROME 1974 - NEW CD US $6.59 Buy It Now 52m 34s
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $13.41 Buy It Now 52m 53s
GENTLE GIANT - TWO WEEKS IN SPAIN 7" VINYL US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool Official Live Double Record / Rare Prog !!! US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - GENTLE GIANT / ACQUIRING THE TASTE NEW CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 1h 40m
1ST PRESS YUSEF LATEEF - THE GENTLE GIANT - SD 1602 - ATLANTIC - STEREO US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Gentle Giant/Acquiring the Taste [Remastered] by Gentle Giant (CD, Nov-2012,... US $15.07 Buy It Now 3h 11m
GENTLE GIANT Acquiring the Taste LP Vertigo Swirl US Original US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GENTLE GIANT GIANT FOR A DAY ORIGINAL LP STILL IN SHRINK! US $249.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
GENTLE GIANT LIVE PLAYING THE FOOL 2 DISC CAPITOL 1977 US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Gentle Giant Acquiring The Taste LP Orig. UK 1971 Press Swirl Vertigo Label US $250.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Interview - Original 1976 LP Shrink M-! US $19.76 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Gentle Giant in'terview JAPAN NEW SHM MINI LP CD + DVD Audio Quad Mix TOCP-95086 US $77.99 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste - Vertigo - VEL 1005 - Canada / UK VG++ LP US $499.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Gentle Giant - Pretentious - Vertigo - 6641 629 - UK - Gatefold VG+/NM LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Gentle Giant - Octopus [CD New] US $16.39 Buy It Now 13h 31m
GENTLE GIANT. THE MISSING PIECE. PICTURE SLEEVE. CAPITOL. ST-116.96. 1977. US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 28m
1974 - GENTLE GIANT - The Power & The Glory + UK Tour - Press Advert Poster Size US $15.26 Buy It Now 15h 58m
GENTLE GIANT- 'The Power and the Glory' Album - Original Poster Size Ad - 1974 US $13.58 Buy It Now 17h
Gentle Giant Playing The Fool Official Live G.G SKBB-11592 US $19.95 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant/Acquiring The Taste [CD New] US $18.02 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Gentle Giant - Power & The Glory [Vinyl New] US $28.39 Buy It Now 20h 39m
YUSEF LATEEF THE GENTLE GIANT ATLANTIC RECORDS 1602 NICE VG++ US $0.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - POSTCARD SET # 1 - concert posters, promos etc - NEW US $8.47 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT**GENTLE GIANT**CD US $6.28 Buy It Now 21h 39m
GENTLE GIANT - POWER & THE GLORY NEW VINYL US $36.57 Buy It Now 22h 19m
GENTLE GIANT, LIVE (PLAYING THE FOOL), 2xLP 1977 UK 1ST PRESS EX/EX/EX-, G/F US $42.42 Buy It Now 23h 47m
GENTLE GIANT The Missing Piece LP 1977 GD+/VG Capitol Records 1977 Prog Rock US $8.05 Buy It Now 23h 54m
Gentle Giant Rock US $19.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Rock US $20.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT "In A Glass House" UK WWA Prog. EX COPY US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB KINDRED / LARRY WILLIS - GENTLE GIANT OF THE TENOR NEW CD US $24.83 Buy It Now 1 day
SAGA 10,000 Days CD PROG SPV (Enchant, Rush, Jadis, Cairo, Styx, Gentle Giant)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT-FREE HAND-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.25 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool: 2CDs 35th Anniversary Edition [Remaster] US $6.00 [0 bids]
? Wild Turkey - Battle Hymn (ex-Gentle Giant Gary, ex-Jethro Tull Glenn Cornick) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT three friends BRAZIL RARE EDITION LP Vertigo SWIRL 1972 GATEFOLD US $49.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - PLAYING THE FOOL: THE OFFICIAL LIVE - NEW CD US $11.55 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - ENDLESS LIFE - NEW CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant 1977 Capitol 2 LP set Gentle Giant Live - Playing The Fool US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT 2CD ------ ( 1 DAY SALE ) ------ US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Free Hand LP Vinyl Record US $30.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Johnny Cash - Gentle Giant Of Country Music - Sun - 6641161 (2 x LP) US $3.38 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-INTERVIEW-JAPAN ISSUE+ OBI iii US $134.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-S/T-JAPAN ISSUE +OBI iii US $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Experience, Gentle Giant, New Import US $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-THE MISSING PIECE-JAPAN ISSUE+ OBI iii US $142.99 Buy It Now 1 day
1974 - GENTLE GIANT - The Power & The Glory + UK Tour - Press Advert Poster Size US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
YUSEF LATEEF - GENTLE GIANT [LIMITED EDITION] [REMASTERED] - NEW CD US $14.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant 'Interview' US $7.49 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - OCTOPUS NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-THREE FRIENDS ITALIAN PRESS VERTIGO 1972 EX/EX+ US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle giant-1974 poster size press advert US $16.96 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - GIANT STEPS NEW CD US $28.69 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-OCTOPUS-JAPAN SHM-CD 1222 D50 US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT civilian LP 8 track (al36341) canadian columbia 1980 US $20.13 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT pretentious LP 14 track double (6641629) uk vertigo 0 US $23.68 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT, GIANT FOR A DAY LP, Capitol EMI SW-11813, 1978 Prog,SHIPS US FREE! US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
~ GENTLE GIANT - GIANT FOR A DAY! ~ MUSIC CD US $6.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Kindred/Willis - Gentle Giant Of The Tenor [CD New] US $14.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Time Machine: A Vertigo Retrospective Prog Rock Box set Gentle Giant Colosseum US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT "PROMO" Acquiring The Taste RJ-7236 OBI LP Ab2784 US $12.50 [5 bids]
YUSEF LATEEF - The Gentle Giant - JAZZ FUNK SOUL LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - THE LAST GIANT STEP - RARE - CD US $34.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Giant for a Day CD U.K. Prog Rock VG Terrapin Trucking label CD1007 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - CIVILIAN - 1980 - TERRAPIN - 1st press US $59.41 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant The Missing Piece Capitol ST 11696, Original Pressing, Free Ship VG US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Giant For A Day 1978 prog LP on UK 1993 CD w/ Postersleeve US $8.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Live in Essen Germany 1971 Vinyl LP US $38.96 Buy It Now 2 days
gentle giant - gargantua essen 1971 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant "Three Friends" LP 1972 US $4.99 [0 bids]
JOHNNY CASH Gentle Giant Of Country LP EXCELLENT CONDITION VINYL RECORD Same ST US $20.35 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant:Octopus Promo Sleeve USA Version[Japan Mini-LP no cd gryphon yes QX US $71.25 Buy It Now 2 days
Giant For A Day: 35th Anniversary Edition [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Interview [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Cleveland OH 1/27/75 Highland 524 Original CD US $4.95 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Three Friends LP (RARE UK Import on VERTIGO w/Gatefold Cover) US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE LP WWA ORIGINAL PROG PSYCH US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Giant For A Day 1978 US ORG LP SEALED!!! US $29.95 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Prologue Live 1974/75 2-CD NEW SEALED US $10.17 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool Live - UK Double LP - Prog Psych Simon Dupree Ma US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Gentle Giant - Octopus JAPAN SHM-SACD US $36.00 [1 bids]
Gentle Giant LP Giant For a Day orig vinyl SEALED Mint 1978 SW11813 Capitol US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Gentle Giant 70s ROCK PSYCH DJ 45 Words from the Wise Mono / Stereo US $9.98 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT - UNDER CONSTRUCTION NEW CD US $30.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory on Capitol Records St 11337 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT ~ OCTOPUS ~ VERTIGO SWIRL UK LP 1972 ~ 1/1 2/1 FIRST PRESS ~ PROG US $670.49 Buy It Now 3 days
ORIG 1971 GENTLE GIANT ACQUIRING THE TASTE GATEFOLD LP VERTIGO SWIRL VEL 1005 US $0.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Octopus JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT 'I LOST MY HEAD' (The Chrysalis Years : 1975-1980) 4 CD SET (2012) US $27.07 Buy It Now 3 days
Kindred Willis - Gentle Giant Of The Tenor CD US $19.30 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool CD Remastered NEW US $16.96 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT in a glass house '93 LP rare Antrop press, different art MINT prog US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool [CD New] US $11.54 Buy It Now 3 days
POLYPHONY WITHOUT INTRODUCTION *REMASTERED KING CRIMSON ELP GENESIS GENTLE GIANT US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT THREE FRIENDS 12" VERTIGO BRAZIL 1972 GATEFOLD SWIRL 1st PRESS PROG US $30.00 [0 bids]
Don Williams - Gentle Giant (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.52 Buy It Now 3 days
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS - JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD US $58.50 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT 'FREE HAND' US IMPORT LP US $42.42 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy GENTLE GIANT music online Buy GENTLE GIANT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENTLE GIANT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) ratings distribution

GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is a glorious box set featuring all of the albums of Gentle Giant albums of the Chrysalis label from 1975 to 1980. As with any box set the tracks are hit and miss here but this is a wonderful way to get hold of 2012 remastered albums that have impacted the Gentle Giant catalogue over the years. The box set houses no less than 3 excellent albums in the form of the live classic "Playing The Fool", "Free Hand" and "Interview". The 1980 "Civilian" album is actually quite good and heavier than the usual GG, but of course you will have to trawl through the disappointing era with the mediocre "The Missing Piece" and the dreadful "Giant For A Day". One major drawcard to this box was the previously unreleased material and it is packed with tons of bonus tracks and all in remastered glory. The booklet is lavish and packed with info and pix of the band as you would expect. The musicians are legendary: Derek Shulman on vocals, saxes, alto sax, descant recorder, bass & percussion, Ray Shulman on bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals & percussion, Kerry Minnear on keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals & percussion, Gary Green on electric, acoustic & 12 string guitars, alto & descant recorder, vocals & percussion, John Weathers on drums, tambour, vibes, percussion & backing vocals. Here are my reviews of each disc, almost identical to my reviews of the original albums but worth revisiting for this excellent box of goodies.

DISC 1 FREE HAND (1975)

"Free Hand" is manic Gentle Giant compositions from end to end with trademark multi part harmonies and frenetic time sig changes throughout. It begins with glorious melodic mayhem on 'Just The Same' and then launches into the weird Gentle Giantism harmonies that sound like some parody of medievalism 'On Reflection'. The opening section is almost maddening in it's delirious harmonising but it soon breaks into some fabulous melodies with a nice gentle dreaminess that pleases my senses.

The best song is to follow with the title track, that I adore when I hear it on any compilation or the original album. The remaster is crystal clear and even better. The vocals of Derek Shulman are excellent throughout, strong and easy to comprehend. 'Time To Kill' is certainly a highlight with some chaotic signatures and wonderful musicianship. The pleasant chimes and acoustic guitars are a feature of 'His Last Voyage' before the very melancholy vocals echo along the melody line. The wah wah lead break is a great augmentation to the jumpy piano line. My least favourite track on the album is the sea shanty instrumental 'Talybont', but it's like a transition and fully instrumental.

The bonus tracks as with all GG remasters are very good and fill the CD nicely. On "Free Hand" there is previously unreleased '1976 Intro Tape', just an instrumental filler really, and from the John Peel Sessions 'Just The Same', 'Free Hand' and 'On Reflection', all different versions of these gems and nicely performed. Also we have 'Give It Back (International 7" mix)', a strange reggae riff and quite out of place commercial style for this earlier album though works nicely on "Interview", and 'I Lost My Head (7" mix)' is a very good song. All tracks are intriguing and worth a shot, though not to return to as often as side one of this release. The album is close to a masterpiece, at least side one of the original would be classed as such, but it kind of meanders along in side two, even sounding outdated, like some hippy trip to tune out to. In any case, this is one of the greatest GG albums and should be heard by every lover of eclectic prog. 4 shining stars.

DISC 2 INTERVIEW (1976)

"Interview" is another of the better Gentle Giant albums beginning with some incredible complex musicianship on the title track, certainly one of the greatest GG songs. This is followed by reggae mayhem on 'Give It Back' that sounds great remastered. Between the songs we hear little interview snippets as transitions from track to track that work very well for a concept. 'Design' is next that brings things down for me with the almost annoying multi harmonies that permeate each album. They love to indulge in this barber shop quartet style but I am not a fan so this is an acquired taste. It is quite amusing though especially with the sproings and boings of percussion and tinkling chimes that are comical. The tribal percussion at the end is great but overall this is just too demented for its own good.

'Another Show' is next with a fast tempo and maniacal circus music intro. When Shulman's vocals come in the song becomes heavier and I like the odd signature. This is as crazy as the band like to be, just pulling out one unusual tempo after another, but this will send some running for cover. The guitar is excellent here competing with the keyboards and weird xylophone percussion. 'Empty City' follows, with dreamy acoustics to allow us to breathe. There are tons of harmonies and some nice basslines on this one, but the album is not up to the quality of previous GG. Notably the interview snippets are absent and that would have been nice to make this album more consistent.

The interview snippet does return again just before 'Timing', another track with bizarre tempo changes and a circus like musicianship. It is difficult to latch onto a melody as there are so many ideas competing against each other. It is a lot of fun to listen to all this inventiveness though, and the violin solo is wonderful, later joined by a powerful lead solo, one of the best instrumental breaks on the album. 'I Lost My Head' is a longer track at almost 7 minutes, and I love it when it finally launches into the melodic last 4 minutes with amazing vocals and guitar powering out on an odd intricate meter.

Overall this is not a masterpiece GG albums, but it has some excellent tracks especially side one, where the band seem to use all their best material on many occasions and run out of steam towards the end. The last track though here excels and is one of my favourite GG songs. It is perhaps best purchased with the box set or with the double CD package with "Free Hand". 4 glittering stars.

THE MISSING PIECE (1977)

Gentle Giant's "The Missing Piece" is a transitional album made during 1977 as disco was beginning to be king and punk was alive and spitting. In comparison to the followup "Giant For a Day", this album is very good. However, gone are the technical complexities of the Giant only to be replaced with very simple three chord wonder melodic rock. I like the way it starts with its raucous and rather catchy 'Two Weeks in Spain', the Shulman brothers sound great and this one is infectious with some weird musicianship. It then goes steadily downhill with 'I'm Turning Around', a failed attempt at a ballad single, that did not trouble the top of the charts either side of the Atlantic. 'Betcha Thought we couldn't do it' is mediocre quasi-punk as is 'Who do you think you are?' and the nauseating hicksville of 'Mountain Time'. It picks up a bit with a more progressive approach with 'Memories of Old Days' that has a longer running time and even effects of children thrown in. The album even ends on something proggy with 'For Nobody' but this is rather a lacklustre album.

The liner notes attempt to explain or justify this mediocrity from a band we have come to admire over the years for their virtuoso complexity in prog. Ray Shulman explains; "it was a funny period of time; we were suddenly searching for an identity, what we ought to be, where we were going to fit in. There was a degree of pressure to make a more commercial album, and to be honest I can't even remember whether it was self-generated or from the outside; in any case, we'd always tried to avoid repeating ourselves, we were always looking for something new to do." The result is this rather poor effort and it certainly was the beginning of disaster for the group that would continue to decline on the ensuing GG catalogue. 2 little stars.

DISC 3 PLAYING THE FOOL (LIVE 1976)

Gentle Giant's live triumph is flawless musicianship. Gentle Giant's live album "Playing The Fool" is a treasure of prog rock at its most exquisite, intricate and whimsical. The sound captured live is quintessential Gentle Giant and almost works as a type of best of the Giant. There is enough variation on offer to make it a worthwhile addition to any collection. The best bits of "Octopus" are here, and tons of medley's and montages of Gentle Giant's inimitable style. The music is full blown prog revved to the max with wonderful soloing on descant recorder on 'Funny Ways', and soaring strings on 'Runaway/ Experience'. This set list is as good as I have heard from Gentle Giant. The brilliant 'Free Hand' and 'Peel The Paint' are played to perfection. 'Free Hand' is perhaps the best I have heard it with wonderful complex time sigs and Minnear's mind bending keyboards.

The original vinyl was a huge multiple vinyl release but it all fits very neatly on one CD and although there are annoying breaks in the tracks, it is great to hear this in one sitting without having to turn over one vinyl side after another. To quote the reviews in liner notes "this British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity, progress and originality in their mix," and "they are a musician's band who slowly hypnotise all." Certainly the stars were in alignment when the band played this concert. It is flawless.

The guitar on 'So Sincere' is jaw dropping for instance, and Shulman's vocals are spot on target. Many of these tracks are better than the original studio takes. I love how the band move from track to track seamlessly blending them in and pushing the boundaries with incredible harmonies and musicianship. John Weathers' extended tribal drum solo on 'So Sincere' is worth a listen too along with Minnear's vibes. The violin of Ray is also wonderful throughout, such as on 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. It really is an incredible performance from the whole band. It is hands down Gentle Giant's best album. 5 awesome stars.

DISC 4 GIANT FOR A DAY (1978)

I just got through this again for this review and it was a weary slog. This one is up there with "Love Beach" as the biggest sell out of a prog band in history. The music is accessible, the voices are clear and bright, the music is three chord precision but this is an appalling waste of talent. This album is so uninspired it is almost beyond reason. There are major risks taken with this one and GG are obviously trying to fit into the new wave music of 1978 when prog was snubbed but they are sapped of all their power and become insipid as an AOR band. They were never meant to play this type of sap so without the complexities, the concepts and sprawling instrumental breaks, there is nothing left in the cannister. This imposter band going by the name of Gentle Giant play some of the sappiest most boring repetitive drivel I have ever heard. I acquired this album as a double feature with "The Missing Piece" and that album certainly did have some great moments and really once that album is over I rip the CD out so that I don't have to be inundated with any of "Giant for a Day". It is also available with the fabulous box set "I Lost My Head". You gotta love the original packaging with that corny Giant mask! Did anyone cut up their album cover and wear that around the place? Madness! Attacking this album is like turning a cannon upon a budgie cage; you can't miss. Nothing on this is redeemable, and believe me I tried to find something. Let's look at some of these tracks, heaven help us!

'Words From The Wise' is over harmonised and sounds like Little River Band meets early Petra, except those bands have better songs than what is offered here. 'Thank You' is pop pap so boring it is unsettling. 'Giant For A Day' is perhaps the best track and is AOR but I liked some of the guitar riffs though I can't remember a single note. 'Spooky Boogie' should have been good as an instrumental but is really silly Halloween themed nonsense with a forgettable melody. John Weather's only solo composition 'Friends' is acoustic humdrum compost filler, and the last track 'Rock Climber' makes me want to throw rocks at the CD player to put this thing out of its misery.

The liner notes are the best thing about this; "ironically keyboard player Kerry Minnear's 'It's Only Goodbye' was written specifically as a single, but was never released as such." And the album "failed to elicit much enthusiasm when it was released", and stating the bleeding obvious, it "left long term fans dissatisfied." But best of all and most delusional I quote "the album's disappointing sales in no way reflect a lack of quality." I beg to differ because after hearing all the other excellent GG albums this is an absolute disaster and one to avoid unless you desire a rather expensive coffee coaster. The box set features 2 bonus extras 'Thank You (7" single edit A)', and 'Words From The Wise (7" single edit B)'. Are they an improvement on the original album tracks? Not at all. On reflection, and so sincere I can only say GG lost their head here. 1 mouldy star.

CIVILIAN (1980)

Hang on a minute. Gentle Giant had a 1980s album? Curiously this is not all that bad. Certainly it buries "Giant For A Day" and in some ways is more entertaining than "The Missing Piece". Shulman's vocals are terrific, the melodies are strong, the music is excellent and there are some wonderful moments to feast on. The problem is it's not prog. In any case the album was not half as bad as I had heard it would be. I received it really as a free with the excellent "Playing The Fool Live" album, and later with the box set "I Lost My Head". On these Gentle Giant releases there is usually great albums with mediocre albums, however "Civilian" is one of the better albums, especially for its release date when prog was declining.

Tracks such as 'Convenience', 'Underground', 'I am a Camera', and 'It's Not Imagination' are well worth checking out. Not so much prog master tracks but just solid AOR with attention to very accomplished musicianship. It is not the complex quirky Gentle Giant but a consistent melodic 80s commercial sound. 3 sparkling stars.

So at the end of this look back through the world of Gentle Giant we have the good the bad and the ugly as you would expect but this is a fantastic package, well designed, with tons of excellent songs and great liner notes. It is ideal for newcomers to the band and the ideal way to get hold of some of their more mediocre material without sacrificing too much on 4 jam packed discs. The live album is simply brilliant in itself and this box is definitely worth the effort. 4 genius stars.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#840745) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012

Post a review of GENTLE GIANT "I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980)"