I LOST MY HEAD - THE CHRYSALIS YEARS (1975-1980)

Gentle Giant

1. Just The Same (5.34)
2. On Reflection (5.43)
3. Free Hand (6.15)
4. Time To Kill (5.09)
5. His Last Voyage (6.27)
6. Talybont (2.43)
7. Mobile (5.03)
Bonus tracks
8. 1976 Intro Tape (previously unreleased) (1.39)
9. Just The Same (John Peel session) (6.00)
10, Free Hand (John Peel session) (6.05)
11. On Reflection (John Peel session) (5.42)
12. Give It Back (International 7" mix) (3.48)
13. I Lost My Head (7" mix) (3.29)

DISC 2
5. Empty City (4.39)
6. Timing (4.39)
7. I Lost My Head (6.55)

THE MISSING PIECE (1977)
8. Two Weeks In Spain (3.06)
9. I'm Turning Around (3.59)
10. Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It (2.25)
11. Who Do You Think You Are? (3.36)
12. Mountain Time (3.23)
13. As Old As You're Young (4.21)
14. Memories Of Old Days (7.19)
15. Winning (4.17)
16. For Nobody (4.07)

DISC 3
PLAYING THE FOOL (LIVE 1976)
1. (a) Just The Same/(b) Proclamation (11.17)
2. On Reflection (6.27)
3. Excerpts from 'Octopus' (15.39)
4. Funny Ways (8.31)
5. (a) The Runaway/(b) Experience (9.31)
6. So Sincere (10.19)
7. Free Hand (7.40)
8. Sweet Georgia Brown (1.22)
9 (a) Peel The Paint/(b) I Lost My Head (7.28)

DISC 4
GIANT FOR A DAY (1978)
1. Words From The Wise (4.16)
2. Thank You (4.50)
3. Giant For A Day (3.51)
4. Spookie Boogie (2.55)
5. Take Me (3.37)
6. Little Brown Bag (3.29)
7. Friends (2.01)
8. No Stranger (2.31)
9. It's Only Goodbye (4.20)
10. Rock Climber (3.53)
Bonus tracks
11. Thank You (7" single edit A) (3.50)
12. Words From The Wise (7" single edit B) (3.04)

CIVILIAN (1980)
13. Convenience (Clean And Easy) (3.13)
14. All Through The Night (4.23)
15. Shadows On The Street (3.16)
16. Number One (4.47)
17. Underground (3.49)
18. I Am A Camera (3.32)
19. Inside Out (5.52)
20 It's Not Imagination (4.04)

Search GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) lyrics

Search GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) tabs

- Derek Shulman/ vocals, saxes, alto sax, descant recorder, bass & percussion
- Ray Shulman/ bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals & percussion
- Kerry Minnear/ keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals & percussion
- Gary Green/ electric, acoustic & 12 string guitars, alsto & descant recorder, vocals & percussion
- John Weathers/ drums, tambour, vibes, percussion & backing vocals

Albums remastered by Fred Kervorkian at Avatar Studios, NYC from the original 1/4 inch tapes through 24bit 96K hi-reolution transfer.Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios, London.
Disc 1 tracks 8-13 and disc 4 tracks 11 & 12 previously unreleased on CD.

Thanks to faroutsider for the addition
and to AtomicCrimsonRush for the last updates

GENTLE GIANT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) Music

The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)
Alucard 2014
I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980
Box set · Import
Alucard Records 2005
Acquiring the TasteAcquiring the Taste
Fontana Island 1990
Gentle Giant - (2012) NEW CD (Prog Rock) US $8.29 Buy It Now 54m 54s
GRYPHON 4 JAPAN Mini LP CD + RED QUEEN PROMO BOX + PROMO SLEEV, NEW GENTLE GIANT US $275.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
GENTLE GIANT Interview CAPITOL RECORDS 1976 Near Mint US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
GENTLE GIANT-FREE HAND 1975 CAPITOL RECORDS LP ST-11428 VG-VG++ UK PROG ROCK!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
GENTLE GIANT '' AQUIRING THE TASTE '' LP VG- RARE CND VERTIGO SWIRL LABEL US $29.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Under Construction [CD New] US $21.56 Buy It Now 3h 9m
GENTLE GIANT octopus PROMO EMPTY BOX Japan mini lp cd US $24.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Giant For A Day CD 1993 (1978) Progressive Rock UK Import US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
GENTLE GIANT - IN A PALESPORT HOUSE - NEW CD US $8.75 Buy It Now 4h 6m
GENTLE GIANT octopus LP Record 1973 RARE VG US $37.50 Buy It Now 4h 32m
1976 LP Gentle Giant Interview In Shrink Extremely Nice US $4.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT "Gentle Giant" Self titled Vertigo/842 624-2 (CD, 1989) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Rare Prog./ Gentle Giant/ LIVE in '76/2 LP's on Capitol records/ VG+/ VG(strong) US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
GENTLE GIANT - GIANT STEPS [GENTLE GIANT] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.81 Buy It Now 6h 31m
GENTLE GIANT - Live In Stockholm '75 (Deluxe Digi-Pack-NEW) US $11.61 Buy It Now 6h 34m
GENTLE GIANT Japan 1975 NM LP FREE HAND US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 56m
GENTLE GIANT Missing Piece LP Original First Issue w/ inner 1977 Capitol UK Prog US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 2m
GENTLE GIANT "Gentle Giant In Concert" Windsong/WIN CD 066 (CD, 1994) US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Gentle Giant / Three Friends US $4.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - GENTLE GIANT [803341369429] - NEW CD US $12.28 Buy It Now 7h 36m
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS - JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD US $58.50 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT The Power And The Glory LP 1974 Capitol Canada Prog Rock VG+/VG US $26.99 Buy It Now 8h 33m
GENTLE GIANT OCTOPUS JAPAN SHM-CD SEALED AUDIOPHILE US $36.00 Buy It Now 9h 18m
MAGIC ELF cd - King Crimson Yes Gentle Giant ELP Rush Jethro Tull Dixie Dregs US $13.95 Buy It Now 9h 47m
GENTLE GIANT three friends BRAZIL RARE EDITION LP Vertigo SWIRL 1972 GATEFOLD US $34.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Acquiring The Taste CD 1971 Vertigo CANADA Press US $6.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Free Hand / Interview CD 1998 BGO UK Press - 2 Albums In 1 US $8.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Gentle Giant CD 1970 Vertigo CANADA Press US $6.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant In A Glass House - toc UK vinyl LP album record WWA002 WWA 1973 US $214.24 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Gentle Giant Gentle Giant Japanese CD album (CDLP) UICY-9028 UNIVERSAL US $87.21 Buy It Now 14h 3m
Gentle Giant - Power & The Glory [CD New] US $9.47 Buy It Now 17h
Gentle Giant - Three Friends LP (Tapestry Reissue)  Gatefold Sleeve SEALED US $24.91 [0 bids]
Free Hand - 1st Gentle Giant vinyl LP album record UK CHR1093 CHRYSALIS 1975 US $89.64 Buy It Now 19h 15m
Gentle Giant In A Glass House - EX UK vinyl LP album record WWA002 WWA 1973 US $131.17 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Gentle Giant Free Hand - Blue Label vinyl LP album record UK CHR1093 CHRYSALIS US $36.47 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Gentle Giant Interview 1976 LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 21h 42m
GENTLE GIANT:THE MISSING PIECE US $11.61 Buy It Now 22h 55m
GENTLE GIANT- Missing Piece, Import CD (rgf 1006) Excellent, Out of Print RARE US $11.99 Buy It Now 23h 35m
GENTLE GIANT - THE POWER AND THE GLORY - NEW CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Out of the Woods US $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste 1971 Gateold LP 33 RPM Prog Rock Vertigo US $14.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT OCTOPUS 1973 ORIGINAL 12"LP COLUMBIA KC 32022 DIE CUT, LYRICS US $4.88 [1 bids]
Yusef Lateef The Gentle Giant Original 1972 LP Near Mint NM Red Green Atlantic US $6.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - POWER & THE GLORY NEW CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 1 day
Gryphon: s/t [1st] Japan CD Mini-LP Mint ARC-7031 (richard harvey gentle giant Q US $60.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gryphon:Midnight Mushrumps Japan CD Mini-LP ARC-7030 Mint (gentle giant yes Q US $65.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant / The Official Live/ Playing the Fool / US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant: The Missing Piece (NO ifpi, Terrapin, UK) US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant 4 x Japan Mini LP CD Disk Union box set US $220.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Octopus album, from 1972, KC 32022 VG+ cond. cover in fair cond. US $14.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant "The Power and The Glory" from 1974 Capitol records ST 11337 (0698) US $14.96 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT, LP Giant For A Day, orig 1978 US Capitol, EX, Three Friends US $7.25 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT, orig LP "Interview", 1976 US Capitol, EX/EX, shrink, Three Friends US $7.25 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT S/T, THREE FRIENDS AND OCTOPUS- 3 MINT CD'S PROGRESSIVE 70S ROCK US $22.99 [0 bids]
LULABOX-BELIEVE-RARE 2 TK U.S PROMO CD SINGLE-Gentle Giant Below Belt REMIX-1993 US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Official Live Playing the Fool SKBB-11592 FREE US SHIPPING US $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Acquiring The Taste UK import LP Vertigo Speceship label 6360 041 US $30.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT FREE HAND VINYL RECORD ~ CAPITOL # ST 11428 US $7.95 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS UK PROG LP VERTIGO SPACESHIP LABEL US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT Giant For A Day 1978 prog LP on UK 1993 CD w/ Postersleeve US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT ~ The Missing Piece ~ VINYL LP US $23.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant CD on Vertigo label - USA copy - 1970 recordings US $4.98 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT i'm turning around 7" blue label design b/w just the same (chs2160) US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT i'm turning around 7" blue label design b/w just the same (chs US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT thank you 7" b/w spooky boogie (chs2245) uk chrysalis 1978 US $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT LP " Interview " CAPITOL Canada 1976' US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT LP " The Missing Piece " CAPITOL Canada 1977' US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Acquiring The Taste - Gentle Giant US $7.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Giant for a Day! by GENTLE GIANT (CD, 2010, DRT/Navarre) NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - IN A GLASS HOUSE - NEW CD US $20.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Live in Essen, Germany 1971(Ltd Edtn 140g Grey Vinyl-only 500!) New US $19.92 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - POSTCARD SET # 1 - concert posters, promos etc - NEW US $8.29 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Free Hand LP 1975 UK 1st Press STEREO CHRYSALIS CHR 1093 US $15.78 [3 bids]
Gentle Giant Capitol 2LP Live Prog 1977 US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece LP VG Condition RARE US $3.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - OCTOPUS (LP 1972 - VERTIGO - 6360 080) SP ONLY 99P!!! US $2.54 [2 bids]
Gentle Giant - Three Friends 1972 Columbia orig. gate-fold KC 31649. LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the taste - Classic Reissues 180 grams SEALED US $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
CD Gentle Giant Three Friends DADC CBS Columbia CK 31649 DIDP 71764 Early Press US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Octopus Original 1973 US Die-cut  w/lyric inner columbia US $58.99 Buy It Now 2 days
King Biscuit Flower Hour by Gentle Giant (CD, Jan-1998, King Biscuit... - Mint US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Pretentious For the Sake of it 2LP GF NM- Vertigo UK US $29.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT THE MISSING PIECE 1977 CAPITOL ST 11696 LP / RECORD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Octopus UK Import LP Vertigo 6360 080 Swirl label US $44.44 [3 bids]
Octopus [Digipak] by Gentle Giant (CD, Sep-2011, DRA) US $13.72 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE WWA 002 VINYL NM NICE COVER NICE SLEEVE 1ST PRESS US $44.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant (CD, Feb-1997, Mercury) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CD-Gentle Giant-In a Glass House 70's UK psych prog US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - Live Playing The Fool 2LP 1977 Prog Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
Promo Prog Rock LP: Gentle Giant ~ Acquiring The Taste ~ Vertigo 1005 US $40.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - MEMORIES OF OLD DAYS NEW CD US $42.25 Buy It Now 2 days
Prog, 1970's rock 12" Vinyl Record lot Glider, Chase, Gentle Giant, Greenslade US $14.99 [0 bids]
BOB KINDRED - GENTLE GIANT OF THE TENOR - NEW CD US $12.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant The Power And The Glory + Insert vinyl LP album record UK WWA010 US $131.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Three Friends Australian vinyl LP album record 6360070 VERTIGO US $89.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - Spaceship label Gentle Giant UK vinyl LP album record 6360020 US $131.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Free Hand - 1st - EX vinyl LP album record UK CHR1093 CHRYSALIS US $64.71 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant In A Glass House Original 1973 LP WWA 002 US $150.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant "Octopus" Vinyl LP - Rare Prog! - Mason Jar Cover! VG++ US $10.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - ENDLESS LIFE NEW 2xCD SEALED US $13.21 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy GENTLE GIANT music online Buy GENTLE GIANT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENTLE GIANT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) ratings distribution

GENTLE GIANT I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980) reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is a glorious box set featuring all of the albums of Gentle Giant albums of the Chrysalis label from 1975 to 1980. As with any box set the tracks are hit and miss here but this is a wonderful way to get hold of 2012 remastered albums that have impacted the Gentle Giant catalogue over the years. The box set houses no less than 3 excellent albums in the form of the live classic "Playing The Fool", "Free Hand" and "Interview". The 1980 "Civilian" album is actually quite good and heavier than the usual GG, but of course you will have to trawl through the disappointing era with the mediocre "The Missing Piece" and the dreadful "Giant For A Day". One major drawcard to this box was the previously unreleased material and it is packed with tons of bonus tracks and all in remastered glory. The booklet is lavish and packed with info and pix of the band as you would expect. The musicians are legendary: Derek Shulman on vocals, saxes, alto sax, descant recorder, bass & percussion, Ray Shulman on bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals & percussion, Kerry Minnear on keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals & percussion, Gary Green on electric, acoustic & 12 string guitars, alto & descant recorder, vocals & percussion, John Weathers on drums, tambour, vibes, percussion & backing vocals. Here are my reviews of each disc, almost identical to my reviews of the original albums but worth revisiting for this excellent box of goodies.

DISC 1 FREE HAND (1975)

"Free Hand" is manic Gentle Giant compositions from end to end with trademark multi part harmonies and frenetic time sig changes throughout. It begins with glorious melodic mayhem on 'Just The Same' and then launches into the weird Gentle Giantism harmonies that sound like some parody of medievalism 'On Reflection'. The opening section is almost maddening in it's delirious harmonising but it soon breaks into some fabulous melodies with a nice gentle dreaminess that pleases my senses.

The best song is to follow with the title track, that I adore when I hear it on any compilation or the original album. The remaster is crystal clear and even better. The vocals of Derek Shulman are excellent throughout, strong and easy to comprehend. 'Time To Kill' is certainly a highlight with some chaotic signatures and wonderful musicianship. The pleasant chimes and acoustic guitars are a feature of 'His Last Voyage' before the very melancholy vocals echo along the melody line. The wah wah lead break is a great augmentation to the jumpy piano line. My least favourite track on the album is the sea shanty instrumental 'Talybont', but it's like a transition and fully instrumental.

The bonus tracks as with all GG remasters are very good and fill the CD nicely. On "Free Hand" there is previously unreleased '1976 Intro Tape', just an instrumental filler really, and from the John Peel Sessions 'Just The Same', 'Free Hand' and 'On Reflection', all different versions of these gems and nicely performed. Also we have 'Give It Back (International 7" mix)', a strange reggae riff and quite out of place commercial style for this earlier album though works nicely on "Interview", and 'I Lost My Head (7" mix)' is a very good song. All tracks are intriguing and worth a shot, though not to return to as often as side one of this release. The album is close to a masterpiece, at least side one of the original would be classed as such, but it kind of meanders along in side two, even sounding outdated, like some hippy trip to tune out to. In any case, this is one of the greatest GG albums and should be heard by every lover of eclectic prog. 4 shining stars.

DISC 2 INTERVIEW (1976)

"Interview" is another of the better Gentle Giant albums beginning with some incredible complex musicianship on the title track, certainly one of the greatest GG songs. This is followed by reggae mayhem on 'Give It Back' that sounds great remastered. Between the songs we hear little interview snippets as transitions from track to track that work very well for a concept. 'Design' is next that brings things down for me with the almost annoying multi harmonies that permeate each album. They love to indulge in this barber shop quartet style but I am not a fan so this is an acquired taste. It is quite amusing though especially with the sproings and boings of percussion and tinkling chimes that are comical. The tribal percussion at the end is great but overall this is just too demented for its own good.

'Another Show' is next with a fast tempo and maniacal circus music intro. When Shulman's vocals come in the song becomes heavier and I like the odd signature. This is as crazy as the band like to be, just pulling out one unusual tempo after another, but this will send some running for cover. The guitar is excellent here competing with the keyboards and weird xylophone percussion. 'Empty City' follows, with dreamy acoustics to allow us to breathe. There are tons of harmonies and some nice basslines on this one, but the album is not up to the quality of previous GG. Notably the interview snippets are absent and that would have been nice to make this album more consistent.

The interview snippet does return again just before 'Timing', another track with bizarre tempo changes and a circus like musicianship. It is difficult to latch onto a melody as there are so many ideas competing against each other. It is a lot of fun to listen to all this inventiveness though, and the violin solo is wonderful, later joined by a powerful lead solo, one of the best instrumental breaks on the album. 'I Lost My Head' is a longer track at almost 7 minutes, and I love it when it finally launches into the melodic last 4 minutes with amazing vocals and guitar powering out on an odd intricate meter.

Overall this is not a masterpiece GG albums, but it has some excellent tracks especially side one, where the band seem to use all their best material on many occasions and run out of steam towards the end. The last track though here excels and is one of my favourite GG songs. It is perhaps best purchased with the box set or with the double CD package with "Free Hand". 4 glittering stars.

THE MISSING PIECE (1977)

Gentle Giant's "The Missing Piece" is a transitional album made during 1977 as disco was beginning to be king and punk was alive and spitting. In comparison to the followup "Giant For a Day", this album is very good. However, gone are the technical complexities of the Giant only to be replaced with very simple three chord wonder melodic rock. I like the way it starts with its raucous and rather catchy 'Two Weeks in Spain', the Shulman brothers sound great and this one is infectious with some weird musicianship. It then goes steadily downhill with 'I'm Turning Around', a failed attempt at a ballad single, that did not trouble the top of the charts either side of the Atlantic. 'Betcha Thought we couldn't do it' is mediocre quasi-punk as is 'Who do you think you are?' and the nauseating hicksville of 'Mountain Time'. It picks up a bit with a more progressive approach with 'Memories of Old Days' that has a longer running time and even effects of children thrown in. The album even ends on something proggy with 'For Nobody' but this is rather a lacklustre album.

The liner notes attempt to explain or justify this mediocrity from a band we have come to admire over the years for their virtuoso complexity in prog. Ray Shulman explains; "it was a funny period of time; we were suddenly searching for an identity, what we ought to be, where we were going to fit in. There was a degree of pressure to make a more commercial album, and to be honest I can't even remember whether it was self-generated or from the outside; in any case, we'd always tried to avoid repeating ourselves, we were always looking for something new to do." The result is this rather poor effort and it certainly was the beginning of disaster for the group that would continue to decline on the ensuing GG catalogue. 2 little stars.

DISC 3 PLAYING THE FOOL (LIVE 1976)

Gentle Giant's live triumph is flawless musicianship. Gentle Giant's live album "Playing The Fool" is a treasure of prog rock at its most exquisite, intricate and whimsical. The sound captured live is quintessential Gentle Giant and almost works as a type of best of the Giant. There is enough variation on offer to make it a worthwhile addition to any collection. The best bits of "Octopus" are here, and tons of medley's and montages of Gentle Giant's inimitable style. The music is full blown prog revved to the max with wonderful soloing on descant recorder on 'Funny Ways', and soaring strings on 'Runaway/ Experience'. This set list is as good as I have heard from Gentle Giant. The brilliant 'Free Hand' and 'Peel The Paint' are played to perfection. 'Free Hand' is perhaps the best I have heard it with wonderful complex time sigs and Minnear's mind bending keyboards.

The original vinyl was a huge multiple vinyl release but it all fits very neatly on one CD and although there are annoying breaks in the tracks, it is great to hear this in one sitting without having to turn over one vinyl side after another. To quote the reviews in liner notes "this British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity, progress and originality in their mix," and "they are a musician's band who slowly hypnotise all." Certainly the stars were in alignment when the band played this concert. It is flawless.

The guitar on 'So Sincere' is jaw dropping for instance, and Shulman's vocals are spot on target. Many of these tracks are better than the original studio takes. I love how the band move from track to track seamlessly blending them in and pushing the boundaries with incredible harmonies and musicianship. John Weathers' extended tribal drum solo on 'So Sincere' is worth a listen too along with Minnear's vibes. The violin of Ray is also wonderful throughout, such as on 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. It really is an incredible performance from the whole band. It is hands down Gentle Giant's best album. 5 awesome stars.

DISC 4 GIANT FOR A DAY (1978)

I just got through this again for this review and it was a weary slog. This one is up there with "Love Beach" as the biggest sell out of a prog band in history. The music is accessible, the voices are clear and bright, the music is three chord precision but this is an appalling waste of talent. This album is so uninspired it is almost beyond reason. There are major risks taken with this one and GG are obviously trying to fit into the new wave music of 1978 when prog was snubbed but they are sapped of all their power and become insipid as an AOR band. They were never meant to play this type of sap so without the complexities, the concepts and sprawling instrumental breaks, there is nothing left in the cannister. This imposter band going by the name of Gentle Giant play some of the sappiest most boring repetitive drivel I have ever heard. I acquired this album as a double feature with "The Missing Piece" and that album certainly did have some great moments and really once that album is over I rip the CD out so that I don't have to be inundated with any of "Giant for a Day". It is also available with the fabulous box set "I Lost My Head". You gotta love the original packaging with that corny Giant mask! Did anyone cut up their album cover and wear that around the place? Madness! Attacking this album is like turning a cannon upon a budgie cage; you can't miss. Nothing on this is redeemable, and believe me I tried to find something. Let's look at some of these tracks, heaven help us!

'Words From The Wise' is over harmonised and sounds like Little River Band meets early Petra, except those bands have better songs than what is offered here. 'Thank You' is pop pap so boring it is unsettling. 'Giant For A Day' is perhaps the best track and is AOR but I liked some of the guitar riffs though I can't remember a single note. 'Spooky Boogie' should have been good as an instrumental but is really silly Halloween themed nonsense with a forgettable melody. John Weather's only solo composition 'Friends' is acoustic humdrum compost filler, and the last track 'Rock Climber' makes me want to throw rocks at the CD player to put this thing out of its misery.

The liner notes are the best thing about this; "ironically keyboard player Kerry Minnear's 'It's Only Goodbye' was written specifically as a single, but was never released as such." And the album "failed to elicit much enthusiasm when it was released", and stating the bleeding obvious, it "left long term fans dissatisfied." But best of all and most delusional I quote "the album's disappointing sales in no way reflect a lack of quality." I beg to differ because after hearing all the other excellent GG albums this is an absolute disaster and one to avoid unless you desire a rather expensive coffee coaster. The box set features 2 bonus extras 'Thank You (7" single edit A)', and 'Words From The Wise (7" single edit B)'. Are they an improvement on the original album tracks? Not at all. On reflection, and so sincere I can only say GG lost their head here. 1 mouldy star.

CIVILIAN (1980)

Hang on a minute. Gentle Giant had a 1980s album? Curiously this is not all that bad. Certainly it buries "Giant For A Day" and in some ways is more entertaining than "The Missing Piece". Shulman's vocals are terrific, the melodies are strong, the music is excellent and there are some wonderful moments to feast on. The problem is it's not prog. In any case the album was not half as bad as I had heard it would be. I received it really as a free with the excellent "Playing The Fool Live" album, and later with the box set "I Lost My Head". On these Gentle Giant releases there is usually great albums with mediocre albums, however "Civilian" is one of the better albums, especially for its release date when prog was declining.

Tracks such as 'Convenience', 'Underground', 'I am a Camera', and 'It's Not Imagination' are well worth checking out. Not so much prog master tracks but just solid AOR with attention to very accomplished musicianship. It is not the complex quirky Gentle Giant but a consistent melodic 80s commercial sound. 3 sparkling stars.

So at the end of this look back through the world of Gentle Giant we have the good the bad and the ugly as you would expect but this is a fantastic package, well designed, with tons of excellent songs and great liner notes. It is ideal for newcomers to the band and the ideal way to get hold of some of their more mediocre material without sacrificing too much on 4 jam packed discs. The live album is simply brilliant in itself and this box is definitely worth the effort. 4 genius stars.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#840745) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 19, 2012

Post a review of GENTLE GIANT "I Lost My Head - The Chrysalis years (1975-1980)"