LIVE 2001 - THE FULL EDITION

Greenslade Live 2001 - The Full Edition album cover

Buy GREENSLADE Music
Live, released in 2002

1. Cakewalk (4:33)
2. Feathered Friends (6:38)
3. Catalan (8:08)
4. No Room-But A View (3:36)
5. Large Afternoon (4:06)
6. Sundance (8:31)
7. Wherever I Go (5:15)
8. On Suite (5:56)
9. In The Night (6:24)
10. Bedside Manners Are Extra (5:11)
11. Joie De Vivre (11:19)
12. Spirit Of The Dance (3:27)

Search GREENSLADE Live 2001 - The Full Edition lyrics

Search GREENSLADE Live 2001 - The Full Edition tabs

- Dave Greenslade / keyboards
- John Young / keyboards, vocals
- John Trotter / drums
- Tony Reeves / bass

CD Independent GSLCD01

GREENSLADE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GREENSLADE Live 2001 - The Full Edition Music

The Full Edition, Live 2001The Full Edition, Live 2001
Angel Air Records 2008
LP greenslade ~ USD $20.17

More places to buy GREENSLADE music online Buy GREENSLADE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GREENSLADE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

GREENSLADE Live 2001 - The Full Edition ratings distribution

GREENSLADE Live 2001 - The Full Edition reviews

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars This is a damn fine live album, acting as a 'best of' spanning a 23 year career , all the expected tracks are present except for my all-time favorite Greenslade tune 'Melange' off the debut, (which you can listen to it on the MP3 section of PA) and the tremendous 'Pilgrim's Progress' of the second release. . There is a tremendous upside in John Young's voice (he of Asia, Wetton, Lifesigns) being so much more attractive than original second keyboardist Dave Lawson's, whose vocals were a hard digestion to say the least and the presence of fabulous bassist Tony Reeves. I, for the record, will restate that Reeves is one of my giant bass idols, owner of an exemplary technique, an almost fretless style that is awe-inspiring. Unfortunately, original drummer Andy MacCulloch (yes of King Crimson infamy) is replaced by the more straightforward John Trotter. This disc really encompasses some those little details that make this band somewhat unique in the prog realm. I will endeavor to highlight those in the course of the review.

Let's get to the killer tracks first: 'Cakewalk' opens up the festivities with Reeves bopping bass leading the crew and it's just plain fun. Little tongue in cheek humor to start off a show, but what do you expect! Dave Greenslade will always be considered as the poor man's Emerson/Wakeman, which in no way diminishes his celebrated talent. The luxuriant 'Catalan' is a celebrated piece that gives the soloists the room to show off their chops (Reeves pulls off a solo that is to die for) but not before going through some Mediterranean sonic stylings that just make you close your eyes and dream. A true prog classic off their 'Large Afternoon' is the title of their 2000 return album, their last one to date. It's a classic setup for both John Young and Dave Greenslade to display some explosive work on synthesizers, piano, organ and such. 'Sundance' is another Greenslade classic off their stellar debut disc, an epic and symphonic masterpiece that swims in dense orchestrations, dazzling electric piano and tons of flute mellotron, before unleashing a blazing hot synth blast that would make Manfred Mann blush with envy. The honky tonk piano solo in the midsection is diabolical. A couple of tracks from 'Large Afternoon' come up next, the 'On Suite' is a modern synth fest, with a bass track nice and present as well as a sax/oboe synth solo that is simply the best ever, a tad lightweight but the bombast via the trumpet sounding synthesizer brings the pulse back to home base, Reeves shepherding the crew magically. The next one is perhaps a bit corny but I love a good romantic tune with symphonic dressing, so 'In the Night' delivers the raw emotion in spades, enhanced by some stellar e-piano work that flutters beautifully, paving the way for the cheese factory voice to be sure but Young can sing with the best of them. I love that lounge/blues/jazz feel, I admit it's an acquired taste but I like Sade, so give me a break! What gets me is that unique guitarsynth patch and the bluesy sway. 'Bedside Manners are Extra' is the title of their second album (1973) and has a playful aura, nothing too cerebral but still chock full of mellotron waves in the old Genesis fold that just veers into a country-style piano romp, with a cool Young vocal. Refreshingly amusing. 'Joie de Vivre' is a lust for life piece off the otherwise dull 'Spyglass Guest' album, an epic 11 minute + keyboard showcase, where both the boss and Young get to try out all kinds of ivories. This is a more buoyant example of their unique legacy, a 'no guitar'/2 keyboardist attack that is quite rare in the music world. Lots of soloing here when Young ends his singing parts, both taking turns at ravaging their set-ups, screeching sounds tortured by deft fingers (a Moog solo to knock your jaw off!). Fun! 'Spirit of the Dance' is a bubbly finale overflowing with eclectic organs runs, a bold bass cutting through the waves, a good time to be had by all and superb playing by all musicians, a fascinating farewell.

The less interesting and predominantly vocal 'oriented tracks are interspersed with these extended pieces. The 1973 'Feathered Friends' is lovingly reworked with some sensational singing by Young as well as that pseudo sax synth solo that is utterly cute. 'No Room 'But a View' and the previously unreleased but poignant 'Whenever I Go' are shorter and more accessible ditties that are still miles away from being radio-friendly pap. Kind of idiotic that this is actually destined to please keyboard fans but I just follow that maddening bass and really get off on Reeves' talent. A very, very pleasant live album that is perhaps their finest recording ever. This is the place to start (at the end?). Oh well!

4.5 Jade slaves

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#993606) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 08, 2013

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Joie De Vivre

Greenslade never was one of the really big and essential Prog bands. Nevertheless, I think that a comprehensive Symphonic progressive Rock collection should have at least one of their albums. I have all of their albums (studio as well as live) and for me they are all good ones, but the present live album from 2001 is the only one that I've rated above three stars. I must confess that I initially gave this album too only three stars, but after having re-listened to the band's back catalogue, and also given this live many more spins, I have now decided to upgrade my rating to four stars. This means that, in my considered judgement, Live 2001 - The Full Edition is the best Greenslade release.

However, having that said, I must add that the original studio albums from the 70's had certain charms that have not all been successfully carried over to this much more recent live presentation. Fans of vintage keyboards in particular may perhaps be put off by the more modern keyboard sounds that can be heard here. I fully respect those who would prefer the original albums over this one for that reason. Yet, for me, the original studio albums also had certain flaws that to a large extent have been remedied here. The vocals is one such aspect. It is often pointed out that the vocals were a weak aspect of Greenslade's earlier albums. Here the lead vocalist is John Young who also plays second fiddle to Dave (that is, second keyboards). Young is a much more "conventional" vocalist and some may think that his voice is commonplace and not distinctive. While there might be some truth to this, I think that he really lifts these songs, even though I would agree (again) that the originals had a certain charm as well. The rest of the band here consists of John Trotter on drums and Tony Reeves on bass, both also doing a very good job.

Another consideration that speaks in favour of this live album is the song selection. While the presence of so many songs from the comeback album Large Afternoon may put some fans of classic Greenslade off, nobody can deny that it is great to have some of the band's best songs on one and the same album. These include Catalan (from Time And Tide), Spirit Of The Dance and Joie De Vivre (from Spyglass Guest), and Sundance (from the self-titled debut). Catalan in particular is here improved over the studio version. Young sings songs like Feathered Friends and the title track from Bedside Manners Are Extra very well even if they were never big favourites of mine. Though there are some songs that I would rather have heard, like Pilgrims's Progress for example, the set list is well chosen.

The album that they were touring in support of when this live recording was made is Large Afternoon. Released in the year 2000, this was the first new Greenslade album in 25 years (and still the latest one to date). From this album comes five of the 12 songs in the set list. Cakewalk, Large Afternoon, and On Suite are in the style of, and in my opinion up to par with, the better of classic Greenslade material. No Room - But A View and In The Night, however, are more towards soft Rock and the lyrics are rather lame and prosaic. The song Wherever I Go is in a similar, ballad style, but I don't know where this song is taken from. Taken on their own these songs are nothing to get excited about, but within the context of the others they bring diversity to the proceedings and they don't manage to bring this album down too much.

This live album is not perfect, and it may not be all the Greenslade you will need, but it is a very good live album that deserves to be heard by fans of keyboard-dominated progressive Rock everywhere (even by those who were not too impressed by the group's 70's albums).

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#996225) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Recorded in 2001, this is the reformed Greenslade showing that they were very much back in business. With Dave on keyboards and original bassist Tony Reeves in tow, they brought in John Young (keys/vocals) and John Trotter (drums) to resurrect the band that had made such an impact in the mid Seventies. Greenslade were always unusual in that they had two keyboard players and no guitarist ? this gave their music a distinctive sound, often more ethereal and laid back than ELP, for example. This albums opens with "Cakewalk", with the band having a blast. John takes centre stage for "Feathered Friends" but while the two keyboard players are having fun on the very Spanish sounding "Catalan" it is the fretless bass that steals the show as Tony proves that a few well-placed notes are worth a thousand played quickly with no thought as to context. Tracks are taken from throughout the band's career, mixed so that newcomers to the band wouldn't know which are new and which are nearly thirty years old. It is nice to hear songs such as "Bedside Manners Are Extra" again after all this time, and with "Joie de Vivre" breaking eleven minutes it is safe to say that Greenslade are back and even though they may not be creating chart albums anymore there is definitely an audience of proggers that will want this CD.

Originally appeared in Feedback #79, June 2004

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1099683) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 26, 2013

Post a review of GREENSLADE "Live 2001 - The Full Edition"