SALVATION

- Greg O'Shea / Guitars
- Matt Lawson / Vocals
- Gavin Parkinson / Bass

Code666 Records, January 21, 2013

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

THE PROPHECY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE PROPHECY Salvation Music

SalvationSalvation
CODE666 2013

More places to buy THE PROPHECY music online Buy THE PROPHECY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE PROPHECY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE PROPHECY Salvation ratings distribution

THE PROPHECY Salvation reviews

Review by J-Man
4 stars Hailing from England, The Prophecy is not a band that I've acquainted myself with in the past, but if their previous output is anywhere up to par with the music on Salvation, I've really been missing out! Salvation is the fourth full-length observation from this English doom metal act, and while it primarily focuses on crafting melancholic soundscapes, the album deviates from doom metal conventions in enough ways to make for a fascinating listen. Borrowing elements from other genres and blending them into one coherent sound, Salvation is the work of truly gifted musicians and songwriters.

Salvation is a rather interesting album from a stylistic perspective, as it maintains a doomy and melancholic flair throughout its full duration, but doesn't quite sit right as a traditional doom metal release. The Prophecy borrows from alternative rock, death metal, and Fates Warning-inspired progressive metal in addition to more 'normal' sounding doom metal, and the result is an album that sounds fresh and inspired. Touches of bands like My Dying Bride (especially in their use of violin) or Confessor do appear throughout Salvation, but on the whole, this is a very unique effort.

Nearly all of the tracks here surpass the ten minute mark, so this is an album that will require some attention from its listener. I enjoyed this from first listen, however, and the band's contrast of light and heavy sections especially grabbed my attention. Not too dissimilar from Opeth, The Prophecy utilizes clean guitar sections and singing - sometimes for extended portions of time - and contrasts them with heavier doom riffs and powerful growling vocals. The Opeth comparison is not entirely valid, however, as the heavy portions always remain in doom metal territory rather than a death metal ditto. On the whole, though, the extended compositions and dispiriting atmospheres are likely to appeal to fans of more adventurous metal music. Everything from the funeral dirge opening in "Salvation" to the highly progressive "Redemption" is memorable and engaging, and it's in the songwriting department where The Prophecy perhaps shine the brightest.

There really aren't too many doom metal albums that manage to be as diverse as Salvation while still maintaining a consistent atmosphere, so I'll highly recommend this one to fans of the genre. An engaging and beautiful experience from start to finish, Salvation is an amazing record that marks one of the musical highlights of early 2013. Great work, gentlemen!

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#902854) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars This is the fourth album from this Yorkshire band, but is the first one that I have come across. I see from the biog that they have supported My Dying Bride among others and the label itself have termed them as 'Doom'. While they have the melancholia of that style of music, that is about it as there are times when the easily the most prominent aspect of their music are Matt's Lawson's incredible vocals. Yes there are times when the music slows down and the riffs crunch out, but they can quite easily lead into gently picked chords that are almost acoustic in their approach. The album is only five songs long, but with just one of these under ten minutes in length this is something that actually requires listening to. It isn't possible to just put this on in the background as there are loads of nuances that only come to light when the listener is playing close attention.

The album was recorded at Priory studios in Sutton Coldfields, engineered by Greg Chandler (Esoteric) and mastered by James Plotkin (Khanate, Lotus Eater's etc). These guys deserve a special mention as it is the way that the sounds have been constructed that really make this stand out. I have long been a fan of MDB, but to my ears the apprentices may have surpassed the masters with this. This really is an incredible piece of work. www.auralmusic.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#911555) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 08, 2013

Review by Warthur
4 stars Beginning with a doom metal blueprint based on the model of My Dying Bride and similar death-doom acts - which usually I find a rather hit-and-miss proposal - The Prophecy's Salvation wins me over with the band's adept use of progressive rock song structures and carefully crafted atmospherics. Typically, progressive rock influences in metal have tended to focus on faster playing than this - what better way to showcase your technical skills and your super-proggy wacky time signatures, after all? - but here The Prophecy manage to tap into spacier precedents and unlike, say, Anathema don't lose themselves in starry-eyed Pink Floyd worship. A solid release which won me over despite initial scepticism; tack on another star if you're a fan of My Dying Bride or other members of the Peaceville death-doom crowd.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#981005) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 18, 2013

4 stars The Prophecy are a band who were designed for me to like. Blending my two favourite metal genres, progressive and doom, but keeping elements of melodic rock music and pentatonic vocal lines? It's as if the band I've been trying to form for the past 3 years suddenly exists, and obviously is muc ... (read more)

Report this review (#981314) | Posted by Gallifrey | Tuesday, June 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE PROPHECY "Salvation"