OPEN

Good, but non-essential

Buy STEVE HILLAGE Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Day After Day (6:17)
2. Getting In Tune (3:16)
3. Open (5:16)
4. Definite Activity (4:43)
5. Don't Dither Do It (5:04)
6. The Fire Inside (6:15)
7. Earthrise (8:34)

Track listing on 1990 CD remaster:
1. Talking To The Sun (5:56) *
2. 1988 Aktivator (2:31) *
3. New Age Synthesist (8:46) *
4. Healing Feeling (6:11) *
5. Earthrise (8:34)
6. Open (5:16)
7. Definite Activity (4:43)
8. Getting Better (Single) (3:01) *
9. Day After Day (6:17)
10. Getting In Tune (3:16)
11. Dont Dither Do It (5:04)
12. The Fire Inside (6:15)

* Bonus tracks, 1-4 from "Live Herald" album

Total time: 65:50

Search STEVE HILLAGE Open lyrics

Search STEVE HILLAGE Open tabs

- Steve Hillage / lead & glissando guitars, vocals, sequencer, Moog (7), co-producer

With:
- Dave Stewart / rhythm guitar & backing vocals (5-7,9-12), synth (12)
- Miquette Giraudy / synthesizers, vocals
- Jean-Philippe Rykiel / synth (12)
- John McKenzie / bass (1-4,8)
- Paul Francis / bass (5-7,9-12)
- Andy Anderson / drums, percussion
- Nick Mason / co-producer (8)

LP Virgin - V 2135 (1979, UK)

CD Caroline Records ‎- CAROL 1672-2 (1990, US) Remastered by Steve Hillage w/ 5 bonus tracks

and to Quinino for the last updates

STEVE HILLAGE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEVE HILLAGE Open Music

OpenOpen
Import · Remastered
EMI Europe Generic 2007
Open by Steve Hillage (2007-12-15)Open by Steve Hillage (2007-12-15)
Virgin Japan
Open / Studio Herald by Steve HillageOpen / Studio Herald by Steve Hillage
Virgin
Open by EMI Europe Generic (2007-02-27)Open by EMI Europe Generic (2007-02-27)
EMI Europe Generic (2007-02-27)
Open by Hillage, Steve (2007-07-17)Open by Hillage, Steve (2007-07-17)
EMI Europe Generic
Open [LP]Open [LP]
Original recording · Import
Virgin
Vinyl$23.02 (used)

STEVE HILLAGE Open Poster Size press advert cutting/clipping 1979 USD $14.51 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Steve Hillage 'Open' Progressive Rock / Synths Vinyl LP VG+/VG USD $7.91 Buy It Now 13h 32m
NEW Open [remaster] by Steve Hillage CD (CD) Free P&H USD $17.66 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HILLAGE - Open CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $26.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Open - Steve Hillage (CD Used Very Good) USD $6.93 Buy It Now 3 days
Open by Steve Hillage (CD, Aug-2005, Caroline Blue Plate) Carol 1672-2 USD $2.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Steve Hillage Open CD+Bonus Tracks NEW SEALED 2007 Digitally Remastered USD $6.58 Buy It Now 6 days
STEVE HILLAGE - OPEN-REMASTERED CD 14 TRACKS ART ROCK/INTERNATIONAL POP NEW+ USD $17.12 Buy It Now 7 days
STEVE HILLAGE - Open - LP die-cut cover, coloured inner Virgin 200.975 Gong, 777 USD $15.81 Buy It Now 7 days
1979 - STEVE HILLAGE - Open + UK Tour Dates - Press Advertisment - Poster Size USD $11.86 Buy It Now 11 days
STEVE HILLAGE Open 1979 (Vinyl LP) USD $11.21 Buy It Now 11 days
Steve Hillage/Open.1979 UK Virgin Original LP. USD $16.48 Buy It Now 12 days
Open [Remaster] by Steve Hillage USD $17.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Steve Hillage Open LP Virgin V2135 EX/VG+ 1979 Open, die-cut sleeve with inner. USD $19.12 Buy It Now 16 days
Open-Remaster - Steve Hillage Compact Disc USD $15.67 Buy It Now 17 days
Steve Hillage - Open (2007) USD $8.49 Buy It Now 19 days
STEVE HILLAGE- OPEN-LP-1979 VIRGIN RECORDS-V2135-VINYL-EXC-BIN! USD $17.99 Buy It Now 20 days
STEVE HILLAGE "OPEN" LP 1979 ORIGINAL DIE CUT COVER EX GONG U.K. IMPORT USD $17.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Open 0094637345924 by Steve Hillage, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $11.76 Buy It Now 22 days
Steve Hillage - Open [CD New] USD $8.47 Buy It Now 23 days
Open [Remaster] by Steve Hillage (CD, Feb-2007, Caroline Distribution) USD $6.33 Buy It Now 23 days
Open [Remaster] by Steve Hillage (CD, Feb-2007, Caroline Distribution) USD $17.28 Buy It Now 23 days
Steve Hillage-Open CD NEW USD $13.35 Buy It Now 24 days
Steve Hillage - Open (NEW CD) USD $8.89 Buy It Now 24 days
1979 Uk Virgin Steve Hillage Open Die Cut Sleeve Late Prog Rock Classic USD $19.77 Buy It Now 24 days
10/11/79MM12 ADVERT 15X12" STEVE HILLAGE : OPEN USD $15.83 Buy It Now 24 days
27/10/79MM27 ADVERT 15X12" STEVE HILLAGE : OPEN USD $15.83 Buy It Now 24 days
3/11/79MM02 ADVERT 15X12" STEVE HILLAGE : OPEN USD $15.83 Buy It Now 24 days
STEVE HILLAGE open EU CD GH20 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 26 days
STEVE HILLAGE OPEN ALBUM & TOUR DATES ADVERT 14X11 USD $15.83 Buy It Now 28 days
1979 - STEVE HILLAGE - Open + UK Tour Dates - Press Advertisment - Poster Size USD $11.86 Buy It Now 28 days
STEVE HILLAGE Open Tour 1979 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12" USD $9.17 Buy It Now 29 days
Steve Hillage: Open - Vinyl LP / Album (Gong) USD $6.59 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy STEVE HILLAGE music online Buy STEVE HILLAGE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEVE HILLAGE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEVE HILLAGE Open ratings distribution

STEVE HILLAGE Open reviews

Review by Chris S
4 stars Open had to contend with Green as a previous comparison and whilst totally different in terms of direction it does ROCK in places. ' Day after Day' is one helluva rocker to start your day with. Hillage then shows what punk rock or new wave is all about with ' Getting in tune'. I think he was basically sticking his tongue out at the whole new genre hitting the world at the time. Afterall he had been playing stuff like that years before. The title track is also a great song bringing you back to a sense of reality. There are a couple of weaker moments like ' Don't dither do it' and another punklike effort in ' Definte activity' but Open steps up a gear with the wonderful ' The fire inside' and ' Earthrise'. Maybe Green was his peak but Open was not far off it either.
Review by horza
4 stars Steve Hillage was the first artist I saw play live.The year was 1979 and the tour was the 'Open' tour.I was'nt really sure what to expect.I had a back row ticket for the Glasgow Apollo,and I really can't remember why I was going.Maybe I was accompanying some friends.What I do remember,26 years later,is that two songs into the set I was down the front worshipping my new hero.He had an effortless style and a superb guitar mastery that was hypnotizing.Talking to the Sun is a breathtaking track,full of shimmering synths and dazzling guitar.Open and Don't Dither Do It are prog-funk and demonstrate the ease with which all the band interact and generate rhythyms and riffs which make you feel GOOD.Earthrise has an arabic style groove to it and still captivates me today.I never saw Hillage again.He never came back to Glasgow,and I regret never having had the chance to recreate the feeling I had as a 17 year old.
Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars I suppose at this point, in 1979, most prog musicians were having a difficult time releasing good prog albums. What with the press ignoring the genre, except to occasionally put it down, most prog bands were going commercial (with a dismal effect), and even Robert Fripp was calling prog band "dinosaurs", it's no surprise that Hillage waters his sound down here.

I have the CD version, with all those extra songs, but I don't feel any richer for it. Sure, Hillage can still play some great guitar solos, but except for a couple of good tracks, the music is a mix of electronica (mostly sounds that Tangerine Dream had already worn out), new wave, white funk, and even disco. For the most part, the songwriting is bland and tired.

The only real prog points are Earthrise (the only song that sounds like it would fit on one of Hillage's early albums), and The fire inside and fusiony song, that has some nice synth work by Miquette Giraudy. Two good songs don't make up for the rest of the drivel here.

2.5 stars.

Review by snobb
4 stars This album is different from Hillage's early works. But it doesn't mean it's bad work.

Hillage guitar is still very competitive, even great at the moments. Miquette Giraudy's keyboards are very spacey and really attractive. Even Dave Stewart participates on recording.

Music there is kind of eclectic and transitional mix of spacey keyborads-based compositions with plenty guitar soloings, electronics and new wave elements. In some places you will really feel strong influence of Robert Fripp Gentlemen's music. Progressive rock for late 70-s.

I believe some prog purists will criticize this album. But in whole, it is really strong work of great musicians, with some influences of it's time. CD version is longer, contains 5 additional tracks (comparing with LP version) what makes the album even more eclectic.

Possibly more on emotional level I really like this work. Not essential, but really pleasant and interesting music.

My rating is 3,5 rounded to 4..

4 stars Tis is a really good record. At first I didn't care much for it but i gave it a chance and now it's a fave. The sequence on the record is better that the cd but Ithink he does a good job on "It's Getting Better." I really like "Getting in Tune," Open" and "Earthrise." ... (read more)

Report this review (#25852) | Posted by | Saturday, January 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEVE HILLAGE "Open"