TALES FROM SHEEPFATHER'S GROVE

Johannes Luley

Johannes Luley Tales From Sheepfather's Grove album cover

Buy JOHANNES LULEY Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. Stab the Sea (part 1) (2:58)
2. Stab the Sea (part 2) (5:00)
3. Guardians of Time (4:18)
4. Moments (3:18)
5. Give and Take (part 1) (4:03)
6. Give and Take (part 2) (3:01)
7. The Fleeting World (3:44)
8. We Are One (4:24)
9. Atheos Spiritualis (10:03)
10. Voya (3:53)

- Robin Hathaway / vocals
- Kristina Sattler / vocals
- Sianna Lyons / vocals
- Stephanie Bennett / harp

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

JOHANNES LULEY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOHANNES LULEY Tales From Sheepfather's Grove Music

Tales From Sheepfather's GroveTales From Sheepfather's Grove
MySonicTemple

More places to buy JOHANNES LULEY music online Buy JOHANNES LULEY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOHANNES LULEY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOHANNES LULEY Tales From Sheepfather's Grove ratings distribution

JOHANNES LULEY Tales From Sheepfather's Grove reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars In December I heard from Moth Vellum founder and guitarist Johannes Luley who asked if I would be interested in hearing his new solo album. A short while later and I was staring at the incredible artwork from Harout Demirchyan and I felt that I had been transported back to the Seventies ' but would the music pass the test? Well, I had nothing to worry about on that score. Johannes provides all of the instruments himself (apart from a concert harp played by Stephanie Bennett) and uses three singers, Robin Hathaway, Kristina Sattler and Sianna Lyons, and the result is nothing short of stunning.

It is as if Jon Anderson has again joined with Vangelis, but without the wall of keyboards, and instead it feels much more 'real' and containing lots of space and depth. In many ways it is extremely complex, yet comes across in a simple manner. It is not music that can be played in the background as it may just disappear, but greatly rewards those who have the time to spare just to listen to the music as an end in itself. Electric guitar is used for emphasis as opposed to always being a central pillar, with plenty of room for mandolin and acoustic instruments. Instead of programmed drums or even a normal drumkit, Johannes has instead opted for handheld percussion which gives a very different feel to the norm and this builds to a climax in 'Give and Take'.

This is one of the most beautiful prog albums I have ever had the pleasure to listen to, and I am sure that when 2013 comes to a close that this will be on many people's Top 10's. I know it will be on mine.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#931965) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review by Warthur
3 stars On Tales From Sheepfather's Grove, Johannes Luley offers up a range of melodic light-prog numbers spiced up a little here and there by moments reminiscent of the folkier turns of Mike Oldfield. It's a slickly produced and enjoyable album, though at points it meanders and loses my attention, so the compositions could probably do with tightening up a bit. Still, if you are fond of Luley's work in Moth Vellum then you could do a lot worse than giving this a try, and the mildly New Agey vibe that worms its way into some of the more minimalistic moments on the album is admittedly interesting.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#942922) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 12, 2013

Review by Guillermo
4 stars Last week I received a private message from Johannes Luley in the Prog Archives Forums asking me to listen to his album, so I did it. Although Johannes Luley doesn't give very much detailed information about himself in his personal website, in his Soundcloud website or in his Facebook page (other than he is from Los Angeles and that played in a Progressive Rock band called Moth Vellum before recording this solo CD), I think that his music has a lot of influence from European Progressive Rock music and even some New Age and Folk music influences (influences are inevitable), particularly from artists like Steve Howe (in some of his guitar playing), Jon Anderson's solo music, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis (in the use of some keyboards atmospheres and percussion instruments and patterns), and Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips (in some guitar playing techniques and atmospheric sounds). He plays all the instruments and sings all the male vocals and he is a good singer. Among the instruments he played in this album are a lot of guitars (mainly acoustic), some keyboards and some percussion instruments, with the exception of a harp which is played by Stephanie Bennett. I think that he is mainly a guitarist but he plays very well the other instruments he uses in this album, although the keyboard sounds are used more for the creation of sound atmospheres and moods, even making the listener to imagine that he is playing his music in a forest because he uses some 'wind sounds' in the background. There are some singers (Robin Hathaway, Kristina Sattler, and Sianna Lyons) who sing very well, mostly doing backing vocals. Some of the backing vocals arrangements are influenced by Mike Oldfield and Jon Anderson, in my opinion. In general, the music is very melodic and atmospheric, and very optimistic in content. I can't say if this album is a conceptual album or not, because I'm not a native English language speaker, and I couldn't find the lyrics in his websites. Anyway, this album is very good, with 'happy moods' most of the time. It is very well recorded and mixed, and with a lot of sound variations and track transitions which work very well as a whole. I think that this album was done very professionally and maybe it took him a lot of time to plan it and to make it. The cover design is well done, and it really reflects the style of the music which the CD contains.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#982114) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013

3 stars Sometimes I have problems with new music, when it just feels new, not new with the meaning innovate, but new as an opposite to the music I like. This music does not have that problem, not at all friends. Johannes Luley has done a (partially) lovely album with soft glittering landscapes with ec ... (read more)

Report this review (#1051919) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Wednesday, October 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This one is tough to give a rating to because it sounds SO MUCH like a few other albums/artists (JON ANDERSON's Olias of Sunhillow, ENYA, MIKE OLDFIELD, and YES/STEVE HOWE) and yet it has such great sound, compositional facility and production. Favorite songs: I like the acoustic guitar wor ... (read more)

Report this review (#972847) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, June 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Johannes Luley was the guitarist of Moth Vellum. This is a nice album, big surprise for me! Much of the album is lush and pastoral in nature. Luley plays on all instruments, except the harp. Lead vocal handled by Luley, saved for some female backing vocals. The first one, two part track "The Sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#931814) | Posted by fluiddruid | Sunday, March 17, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOHANNES LULEY "Tales From Sheepfather's Grove"