GRANDINE IL VENTO (SYMPHONY OF LIGHT)

Renaissance

Renaissance Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RENAISSANCE Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. Symphony Of Light (12:09)
2. Waterfall (4:44)
3. Grandine il Vento (6:30)
4. Porcelain (6:41)
5. Cry To The World (5:44)
6. Air Of Drama (5:21)
7. Blood Silver Like Moonlight (5:16)
8. The Mystic And The Muse (7:48)

Additional tracks on "Symphony of Light" album:

Search RENAISSANCE Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) tabs

- Annie Haslam / vocals
- Michael Dunford / guitar
- Rave Tesar / keyboards
- David J Keyes / bass guitar, vocals on "Air Of Drama"
- Jason Hart / keyboards, accordion
- Frank Pagano / percussion

- John Wetton / vocals on "Blood Silver Like Moonlight"
- Ian Anderson / flute on "Cry To The World"

Released on Symphonic Rock Recordings in 2013

CD Red River Entertainment 61528 (2014, entitled "Symphony of Light", with 3 additional tracks, different artwork)
Digital album available via iTunes

Thanks to raph1 for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

RENAISSANCE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RENAISSANCE Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Symphony of LightSymphony of Light
MRI 2012
DVD Audio$10.49
Camera CameraCamera Camera
Repertoire 1999

More places to buy RENAISSANCE music online Buy RENAISSANCE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RENAISSANCE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RENAISSANCE Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) ratings distribution

RENAISSANCE Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars When I heard that Renaissance was releasing a new album I had quite great expectations. Maybe a little more than I should. But, after all, it was Annie Haslam┬┤s superb voice put together with Michael Dunford┬┤s compositions. It could not fail, right? Besides, the new back up band is excellent, and their recent live DVD/CD playing their classic stuff is there to prove how skillful their are musically and respectful of their glorius past. And, additionally, they have a couple of prog icons (Ian Anderson and John Wetton) to give them a little help on a couple of tracks.

So why only 3 stars? Well, after repeated spins it is my painful duty to say the weakness of the album lays exactly on the shoulders of Haslam and Dunford. First: Michael┬┤s new compositions are far from his best. They are nice, alright, but completely predicable and unimaginitive. The band tries hard to sound like the classic 70┬┤s line up: you┬┤ll find the familiar tickling classical piano lines, the fat bass runs, Dunford┬┤s discreet but effective acoustic guitar and the very organic percussion. Even the bass player does a complete Jon Camp interpretation nicely singing some parts of Air Of Drama. But the new songs are, most of the time, just too bland.

Worse yet is Haslam┬┤s interpretations: she sounds tired and without conviction. The technique is there, but not the passion.Not that the end result is bad, since no song here is crap nor Haslam┬┤s voice have not lost its beauty. But, really, I expected a lot more from such talented bunch. And the saddest thing to know it the fact tha there is no chance for Dunford to redeem himself, since he passed away during the recording of Grandine Il Vento. A real big loss for the music world.

So in the end I found this album good: nothing that compares to the classic 70┬┤s stuff, of course, but better than most of what they released afterwards. At least a couple of tracks, Porcelaine and, specially, The Mystic And The Muse, are above all the others. The latter, a kind of spin off from A Song For All Seasons, is the album┬┤s highlight. I really wish all the tunes were like that one.

Conclusion: Renaissance fans should listen and judge. Newbies should try their earlier albums long before they tackle this one. final ratins: something between 2,5 and 3 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#1011564) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 05, 2013

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
2 stars Renaissance was one of the first Prog bands I've heard. When I was 16/17 I've bought a copy of Ashes Are Burning (1973) and I was in love with their music.

Now, years passed, I've enjoyed many of their albums and the band naturally came to an end.

Around 2010 the band made a comeback and since then they're quite active. In 2010 they released an EP with 3 new songs called The Mystic And The Muse (review: progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=290114), in 2011 they went on tour and played two of their classic albums Turn Of The Cards (1974) and Scheherazade & Other Stories (1975), after that they released a nice box with CD and DVD of this tour (review: progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=642201).

After all that they started to prepare a new album in 2012. To be able to do that they successful crowdfunded a campaign to release their new album Grandine Il Vento (2013). Unfortunately, after the album being recorded Michael Dunford (one of the original band members) sadly passed away.

I must say that I was REALLY excited with the news of a new album by the band, their EP was quite good so I could expect some really nice work. I took my time to listen to the album, and last night I finally did? Well, what can I say, I am disappointed after all. Being a fan of the band I had so many high hopes on their new album, but it turned out not that good as I was expecting.

First of all, from the original classic lineup there's only Annie Haslam (vocals) that continues to be a hell of a great singer, and Michael Dunford. Michael, unfortunatell is faded on this album, his guitars are superb, but they barely REALLY appear on the album.

Second, the band isn't that good. I mean, they were playing the bands back catalogue, but creating? Not really! Frank Pagano drums are there just to keep time, and that's all. David J Keyes bass' are? not quite there. I know, he's taking place of Jon Camp, an absolutely fantastic bass player. But that's no excuse!

Now, the worst part is taken by the keyboards. Renaissance's music is Symphonic, always been, so pianos and keyboards were a big part, especially pianos. Here the pianos are really well put and well played by Rave Tesar, but the rest of the keyboards? a shame! I cannot point my fingers to anyone really, cause the keyboards are credited to Rave and Jason Hart. Now really, what are those keyboards? There's even a dance/club music kind of keyboards on the opening track!

The music in Grandine Il Vento (2013) is not bad, in fact there's many great moments, but the overall arrangements kill anything really. As I said, especially the keyboards. And there's some songs that? shouldn't be here like 'Waterfall' or 'Porcelain'.

Unfortunately my high hopes were all felled, and I'm honestly sad about it.

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#1078455) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 18, 2013

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars The best Renaissance album for 35 years!

Renaissance has never been among my favourite bands, but they are one of those bands of which I have heard everything they have ever done. Like most people would probably agree, the band's output from the last three and a half decades has not been overly impressive compared to the output from their first decade of existence. Hearing this new album is a pleasant surprise and I would say without a doubt that it is their best since 1978's A Song For All Seasons. Indeed, Symphony Of Light stands heads and shoulders above the generally weak material the band has produced since then.

The most noteworthy track here is by far the 12 minutes plus opening title track (Symphony Of Light) which belongs to the band's all-time best compositions. It has all of the ingredients of classic Renaissance: the captivating voice of Annie Haslam, the piano and the acoustic guitar, the symphonic bombast. But it also has more than that, it has other keyboards beyond just piano (which I would have wanted to have heard more on the band's classic albums).

After such an excellent opening the rest of the tracks are not quite as interesting in comparison, but nonetheless the album continues to be enjoyable all the way. The band is helped by two stalwarts of progressive Rock in Ian Anderson and John Wetton. Anderson adds his characteristic flute to Cry To The World and Wetton his equally distinctive voice to Blood Silver Like Moonlight.

The Mystic And The Muse, Immortal Beloved, and Tonight were previously released as an EP, but are here tagged on as bonus tracks. The Mystic and the Muse in particular is another strong track in the style and quality of the band's 70's material.

Recommended, particularly for fans of classic Renaissance

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1215198) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 19, 2014

3 stars Perhaps unlike some of you, my introduction to Renaissance's discography wasn't chronological; rather than starting from the beginning, my first exposure to the band was their 1975 album Scheherazade and Other Stories album, albeit many years later. The format of the album is engaging, startin ... (read more)

Report this review (#1287467) | Posted by Progulator | Saturday, October 04, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I have been listening to some heavier prog lately, so I was in for some culture shock with this album. My review is of "Symphony of Light," and not the original "Grandine Il Vento." Symphony of Light contains the additional two tracks from "The Mystic and Muse EP" and a new track "Renaissance Man" ... (read more)

Report this review (#1187906) | Posted by javajeff | Saturday, June 07, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Renaissance returns to form with this lovely effort, 'Grandine il Vento' (retitled 'Symphony of Light' in 2014 with the other 2 tracks from 'The Mystic and Muse' ep, and a beautiful new track written by Rave Tesar and Annie Haslam for the late Michael Dunford, appropriately titled 'Renaissance M ... (read more)

Report this review (#1170508) | Posted by snelling | Saturday, May 03, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A real prog album from the originators of Symphonic Prog. This elegant work is the best and most progressive album released by Renaissance since Novella in 1977. Annie Haslem is still in great voice at this late stage (amazing!) and the songs are true classical symphonic works that never veer toward ... (read more)

Report this review (#1161560) | Posted by SteveG | Tuesday, April 15, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I was quite excited when I heard that Renaissance would release a new album. So I ordered it from the band and received a copy signed by Annie Haslam herself, which is quite cool! I am, however, sad to say that I don't think "Grandine il Vento" is not as good as their fantastic album from the 70s. ... (read more)

Report this review (#1130930) | Posted by sean_y | Wednesday, February 12, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Renaissance is an interesting band, quite unique would I say. Firstly I would axaggerate if I said it was rock, but it do tangents the rock subject. Secondly I must state it's certainly symphonic music, more symphonic than most of the prog. The strength in Renaissance is concert piano and a cl ... (read more)

Report this review (#1067375) | Posted by Dr÷mmarenAdrian | Sunday, October 27, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well. Truly this is symphonic prog. And symphonic prog in the line of Renaissance oldies. Yes in comparison to some of their latest .."pop prog albums"....a real advance. But well years pass....and the product can,t be (or is difficult to be)as good as the ones in the best of times.... ... (read more)

Report this review (#981305) | Posted by robbob | Tuesday, June 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars The first track off Grandine il Vento that I listened to was The Mystic and The Muse. Fans who have kept track of the activities of the latest incarnation of Renaissance would be familiar with the EP titled The Mystic and the Muse which, of course, had the eponymous track among two others. While t ... (read more)

Report this review (#969201) | Posted by rogerthat | Sunday, June 02, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great new record by Renaissance. This is the first album by Renaissance in over 10 years, and it is definitely a great comeback. If you are a fan of Renaissance, you should certainly get this. I have only listened to this on the pre-release downloads available to the Kickstarter-backers, (who h ... (read more)

Report this review (#941378) | Posted by raph1 | Tuesday, April 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RENAISSANCE "Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light)"