COAL

- Rein T. Blomquist / bass

Guest musicians:
- Ihsahn / vocals (8)
- Hkon Aase / violin (8)

CD (Ltd) Inside Out Music 0506500, IOMSECD 379 (Europe) (2013)
2xLP (Gat) Inside Out Music 0506501 (Germany) (2013)
2xLP (Ltd., Clear/Grey) Inside Out Music, Century Media Records Ltd. IOMLP 379, 0506501 (Germany) (20 May, 2013)
CD Inside Out Music 0650-2, IOMCD 379 (Europe) (2013)

Thanks to black_diamond for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

LEPROUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LEPROUS Coal Music

BilateralBilateral
Inside Out U.S. 2011
コーTMコーTM
COLUMBIA JAPAN
Coal - Leprous New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $25.53 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Leprous - Coal - Limited (NEW CD) US $19.87 Buy It Now 20h 20m
Leprous - Coal NEW CD US $16.23 Buy It Now 22h 52m
GROSSMEMBER - LEAVE US ALONE CD Bizarre Leprous Prod. Impetigo Napalm Death US $4.99 [0 bids]
Leprous - Coal NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 2 days
Coal by Leprous (CD, May-2013, Inside Out Music) US $9.91 Buy It Now 2 days
LEPROUS - BILATERAL * [885417056020] - NEW CD US $11.19 Buy It Now 2 days
LEPROUS - COAL NEW CD US $21.24 Buy It Now 2 days
LEPROUS-COAL-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Leprous - Coal [CD New] US $12.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Leprous - Coal 2013 [CD New] US $21.83 Buy It Now 3 days
PIGSTY - PIGS ARE BACK CD 2005 - BIZARRE LEPROUS PROD Mncing Fury Rompeprop Gut US $4.99 [0 bids]
TRIBUTE TO REGURGITATE CD - BIZARRE LEPROUS PROD 2001 *RARE CBT LDOH Disgorge US $4.99 [0 bids]
Leprous - Coal NEW CD US $18.49 Buy It Now 4 days
LEPROUS - COAL (UK) NEW CD US $25.68 Buy It Now 4 days
Leprous - Coal US $11.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Tall Poppy Syndrome, Leprous, New US $16.23 Buy It Now 6 days
3x LP Lot LEPROUS Coal NACHTMYSTIUM Silencing NAPALM DEATH Utilitarian 5x VINYL US $99.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Pigs Are Back - Pigsty (CD 2006 Bizarre Leprous Productions) US $10.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Leprous - Coal CD INSIDE OUT US $17.62 Buy It Now 7 days
Bizarre Leprous Records 4way Split Goregrind 7" Record US $16.95 Buy It Now 8 days
BURST - Conquest : Writhe CD 1.p 2001 PRANK Records / fantomas solefald leprous US $33.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome [CD New] US $13.16 Buy It Now 9 days
LEPROUS - TALL POPPY SYNDROME NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 9 days
LEPROUS - BILATERAL NEW CD US $21.24 Buy It Now 9 days
LEPROUS - COAL, ORG 2013 GERMAN 180G vinyl 2LP +2 B/T, NEW - SEALED! PROG METAL US $28.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Leprous - Bilateral CD US $17.62 Buy It Now 9 days
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome CD US $18.74 Buy It Now 11 days
LEPROUS - TALL POPPY SYNDROME - NEW CD US $13.66 Buy It Now 12 days
Mutiilation-Majestas Leprous Patch Black and white US $2.98 Buy It Now 12 days
Leprous - Coal - 506502 US $20.11 Buy It Now 12 days
Coal, Leprous, New US $15.05 Buy It Now 13 days
HIGH PURITY Z euforie Vezeni CD BLP 0134 CZECH grindcore bizarre leprous Vezen US $6.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Bilateral * by Leprous (CD, Aug-2011, Inside Out Music) US $11.22 Buy It Now 15 days
MINCING FURY GUTTURAL CLAMOR DECAY death grind metal 1st press Bizzare Leprous US $15.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Tall Poppy Syndrome - Leprous New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 16 days
Leprous - Bilateral (NEW CD) US $19.87 Buy It Now 16 days
LEPROUS-COAL (UK) CD NEW US $21.94 Buy It Now 17 days
CUTTERRED FLESH Dying In Pieces CD BLP 0130 bizarre leprous czech death metal US $6.00 Buy It Now 18 days
LEPROUS - COAL (UK) NEW CD US $26.78 Buy It Now 19 days
Bilateral Leprous Audio CD US $25.68 Buy It Now 23 days
Leprous - Bilateral NEW CD US $16.23 Buy It Now 24 days
LEPROUS - COAL [LEPROUS] [885417065022] - NEW CD US $9.48 Buy It Now 25 days
Coal by Leprous (CD, May-2013, Inside Out Music) US $16.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Tall Poppy Syndrome by Leprous (CD, May-2009, Sensory) US $17.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Leprous - Bilateral (2011) - New - Compact Disc US $11.83 Buy It Now 25 days
Leprous - Coal (2013) - New - Compact Disc US $11.83 Buy It Now 25 days
Coal - Leprous US $12.30 Buy It Now 26 days
Coal - Leprous New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.63 Buy It Now 27 days
Tall Poppy Syndrome by Leprous (CD, May-2009, Sensory) US $10.57 Buy It Now 28 days
NEW Coal by Leprous (CD) US $21.84 Buy It Now 28 days
NEW Coal by Leprous (CD) US $21.75 Buy It Now 28 days
Bilateral - Leprous New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.63 Buy It Now 28 days
Leprous - Coal CD CENTURY ME US $22.02 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy LEPROUS music online Buy LEPROUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LEPROUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LEPROUS Coal ratings distribution

LEPROUS Coal reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars I'm not a huge fan of Leprous. I somewhat liked "Poppy", but the lack of melody at times burned out my brain. I wasn't a fan of the harsh vocals either. But, I did appreciate the originality and the cool grooves.

After hearing that this new album is more melodic, I gave it a shot. It certainly is more melodic. I was massively impressed with the interesting arrangements and structures in this album. Some songs are very delicate, such as The Cloak. Others sound more like behemoths of sound crisscrossing and playing with each other. Melody is almost always in the mix, and it plays well with the strange riffing style and the ethereal vox. This is no ordinary grinding tech metal album. In fact, I don't even like tech metal. But this album is just so much more interesting.

I was surprised at times that the vocalist reminds me of Jonathan Davis of Korn. Weird, I know, but I couldn't shake it, especially in the final track. I also noticed how each song really grows on you before you've even listened to the track in its entirety. "Foe" just sounds so strange, but half-way through, I "got it". The same thing applies to "Chronic" and "Coal". Leprous obviously tried to create something completely different here, and I applaud them for that. This is not music that I will listen to countless times, but because it is very good and especially because it is very different, I will give it 4 stars.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#963372) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars There is no doubt that when these guys released 'Bilateral' in 2011 that they created a lot of noise in the prog scene, literally. Here is a band that is happy, really happy, to be a metal outfit and tour with bands like Amorphis, Therion, Opeth, Pagan's Mind et al yet also have one foot firmly in the prog camp. And if you didn't know, these guys have acted as fellow Norwegian Ihsahn's backing band so they really have no qualm with producing music at the heaviest and most complex level. When I started playing this two bands sprang to mind immediately, and the more I played it the more I was convinced that I was right. Here is a band that takes the melodic soundscape of Muse, and then mixes it up liberally with Devin Townsend to create something that at times is almost breathtakingly beautiful and yet at others is a wall of sound as they crank up the energy and the volume to 11.

There is no doubt to my mind that this is metallic prog metal of some class and power, yet I am sure that it will upset some listeners who feel that prog should be more sedate and not in your face quite so much. But if prog is about progressing and pushing the boundaries as opposed to regressing and attempting to be a clone of the great bands that have gone before then this is it. This is modern, with the odd nod back to King Crimson, and is very much modern metallic progressive music for the 21st century. The more I have played this the more I have enjoyed it and while I think 4*'s is the right mark for now, ask me again in a few months and it may have made it up 5. If you want a dynamic soundscape then this is it. www.insideout.de

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#970755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Coal' - Leprous (9/10)

It now seems strange to think there was a time I didn't understand the hype and excitement surrounding Leprous. Their first full-fledged foray into album-making, "Tall Poppy Syndrome" was met with some pretty wild acclaim in progressive metal circles. Though I was impressed with their skill and musicality, I was left wanting for a more distinct, unique style of progressive metal. Though I was certain that the band would improve and refine their craft, nothing could have however prepared me for "Bilateral". As if my imaginary Leprous wishlist had been thoroughly studied and referenced, the band's second album marked a large step towards more experimental territory and a sound of their own. Two years since its release, "Bilateral" has become one of my favourite-ever albums, and that's a big part of why I was so anxious to hear "Coal". My excitement aside, Leprous seem to have been up to some great things in the past two years; with their third record, they have fostered an even more distinctive style for themselves. Evolving their sound once again, Leprous are proving with each new album that they are the greatest band of the new progressive metal wave.

Though I've never once had the fleeting impression that Leprous might follow up "Bilateral" with a subpar album, I was self-aware of the exceedingly high standard I would hold the new record up to. After hearing "Coal", it seems impossible to meaningfully compare the two albums. Leprous have once again maintained an incredibly high musical standard, with regards to both the composition and execution. However, though it's clear that "Coal" is cut from the same cloth as "Bilateral", the tone and mood have evolved significantly. While the second album revelled in being all-over-the-place and pleasantly quirky, "Coal" puts a much greater emphasis on atmosphere and focused compositions. There remains a playful, catchy element to the music, but the tracks here come across more directly and purposefully than before. Neither approach is inherently superior to the other. The songs on "Coal" have less surprises and twists to them, but the epic payoffs have never tasted so sweet.

Many of the songs here unveil a more static side to Leprous. By 'static', I do not mean dull by any means, but rather emotionally unchanging. "Coal" earns points for variety as an album holistically, but it's as if each track focuses in on one particular atmosphere, and fleshes it out until it reaches a critical mass. More often than note, that atmosphere is one of sombre reflection and melancholy; quite the departure from the zany antics of "Bilateral". Though Leprous have very little in common stylistically with Summoning, the approach and structure of the compositions here is reminiscent of Summoning's latest album in the sense that there is a notable emphasis on realizing the potential of a handful of really strong ideas, rather than filling out the album's length with a bunch of smaller-sized components. Tracks like the breathtaking "The Valley" and gorgeously morose "Echo" spend much of their time building up to a rapturous climax. The arrangements tend to dwell on certain ideas for longer than one might tend to expect from a 'progressive metal' release, and though I might have missed that 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach of Leprous' earlier work, it's a joy in its own right to see an idea develop and mature within the context of a track.

Fortunately, Leprous offer a handful of more traditional pieces to help balance out their experimental flair. "Chronic" is an energetic, quirky piece that would have fit snugly on "Bilateral". While "Salt" may work as a four minute extension of "The Valley", it functions excellently as a track of its own, its wonderfully ethereal chorus being one of the album's highlights. While "Contaminate Me" could have used a little variety to spice it up somewhere around the halfway point, it's a powerful way to wrap up the album, adapting the spawled- out structure of the album's longer tracks to a more severe, aggressive atmosphere. While the opener "Foe" sits at a comfortable five minute length, it just might be the most experimental cut from the album, featuring some of frontman Einar Solberg's most compelling vocal work to date. Although it probably won't surprise anyone, the weakest track here is the apparent 'single', "The Cloak". Although it works well as a break between the groove metal pyrotechnics of the title track and the masterful "The Valley", it doesn't tend to have the jaw-dropping quality of the rest of the album. The mellotron presence is very much welcome, but "The Cloak" ultimately comes off feeling like a Muse ballad more than anything else. On most other albums, it may have been a highlight, but I would have hoped Leprous could have delivered something a little bit more enticing for their album single.

The evolution of Leprous' sound on "Coal" is sure to grate unpleasantly with some listeners at first, but one thing that remains evident from the beginning is the band's standard of musicianship, which is virtually without par in the progressive metal genre today. With this across-the-board virtuosic skill in mind, it's all the more impressive that Leprous manage to restrain themselves to sporting their talents within the bounds of the songwriting. Although Leprous' sound is decidedly more experimental, comparisons could be drawn with Sweden's Pain of Salvation and their peak material from a decade past. It's possibly a less inviting dish than the albums Leprous have served in the past (at least initially), but there's no doubt that Leprous have broken into fresh territory.

It's pretty incredible how much a band can change in four years. From "Tall Poppy Syndrome" to this, the level of ambition and left-field wizardry has increased with each step. Although it will be some time before I'll truly know where "Coal" stands in comparison to the rest of the band's work, Leprous have delivered one of the most musically compelling experiences of the year thus far.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#972903) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 07, 2013

Review by EatThatPhonebook
4 stars 8/10

Leprous' Most Emotionally Lush Album.

Along with just a handful of bands all over the world, Leprous is one of the game-changing legacy-carriers of Progressive Metal. Their style is distinct, but unafraid of revealing influences such as Pain Of Salvation. Behind their backs, they only have three albums; the debut, "Aeolia", is somewhat of a forgotten LP, but the latter two are the main reason the band is now at the center of the stage for many Metal and Progheads. 2011's "Bilateral", album number three, is most definitely the most ground-breaking and mature, and stood out as one of the key albums of this new wave of Prog Metal.

"Coal", against most odds, maintains almost all of the "Bilateral" qualities intact. It blends the same ingredients, and molds them with a new formula. The most noticeable new change is how the band has put Einar Solberg's voice even more up-front than usual: he sings almost all over the place, delivering beautiful, extended falsetto vocals, as well as melodic phrases that serve a given song as a completely independent additional instrument. In songs like "Echo" and "Foe", it is most apparent. This is for the most part Einar's album, even because the keyboards have most definitely toned-down, resulting in an overall drier atmosphere. This is not necessarily a fault of course, since Leprous' intent naturally was to craft something punchier, more straight-forward and song-based, rather than a moody album.

This leads to the song-writing. Looking back at 2009's "Tall Poppy Syndrome", it is amazing to see how far ahead they've brought themselves since. There is not one single track that fails. "Foe" starts the album off perfectly, boasting one of the most memorable and relevant vocal performances by Solberg; "Chronic" and the title track are easily the busiest and heaviest tracks, showcasing incredible interplay and progressive song structures; "The Cloak" and "Salt" are calmer pieces, both of them strategically well-placed throughout the album, as they generate a nice change of pace for the LP's momentum. "The Valley" is a long-winded, multi-faceted masterpiece, with perhaps one of the best hooks that the band has ever come up with; "Echo" is of a similar nature, but with a much more dramatic, slow tone to it. It is by far, the moodier and more emotional piece of the album, which is saying a lot. The album ends on a very heavy note, with guest vocalist Ihsahn killing it with one of his most fear-inducing performances: "Contaminate Me" is a throw-back to the band's more extreme roots, ?as a matter of fact Leprous used to be Ihsahn's backing band- nevertheless Leprous is able to sound as if it was brought up in a new, original fashion.

"Coal" comes so near to the levels of "Bilateral", and is once again striking proof that Leprous are one of the very best Metal bands out there. The best part of it is that they sound as if something even greater will eventually be in the works.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#976024) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review by Warthur
5 stars Leprous are not a band who stands still; comparing this album to 2009's Tall Poppy Syndrome reveals substantial and well-honed artistic growth. The influences of the likes of Porcupine Tree and others which could be heard on the earlier album are now much more difficult to detect, Leprous' sound having taken on a unique cast which pits them as true originals. The closest comparison I can think of is "what if a more tasteful version of Muse went prog metal, having listened to heaps of Porcupine Tree?", but even that doesn't encapsulate all the dimensions available here - for instance, it would obscure the extreme metal eruption of the magnificent closing track, Contaminate Me. Magnificent stuff.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1091673) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Review by aapatsos
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
3 stars I have come to learn about Leprous in early 2013, having listened to a few impressive samples and later in the year to this, fourth, album by the band. One thing is for sure: their sound is generally outside the norm, experiments freely and has character.

The initial impression I got from "Coal" was that of awe, listening to this powerful combination of Devin Townsend soundscapes, pounding heavy mid-tempo riffology and atmospheric experimentation. On the other hand, extremely melodic refrains and well-crafted harmonies provide the softer side and (arguably) keep the balance. With an average track length of 7 minutes, there is much on which to ponder, however Leprous don't always provide the necessary variety to make this a remarkable release. There are sporadic moments of glory and some majestic tunes that are genre-defining but the overall package lacks, I feel, the consistency and quality. The first three and last track are rather heavy-experimented tunes, often with Townsend-type chaotic moments, while tracks 4-7 are far more melodic, almost splitting the album into two different types of songs. In addition the indie/Muse influences on tracks like 'Chronic' slightly dilute their effort.

My preference in "Coal" tends towards the more melodic aspect, with 'The Valley' and 'Echo' being the highlights of this release. An interesting release but not a top-10 album, "Coal" will appeal to friends of experimental progressive metal. I look forward to exploring in depth all their releases as the glimpses of the highest quality are on this album, albeit not enough.

Send comments to aapatsos (BETA) | Report this review (#1102530) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013

5 stars Coal Syndrome Definition: when a new album from a band you consider highly does not reach your high expectations, but even after time and learning that the album is actually very good, you still feel disappointed in it. I think my review for Dead Letter Circus' The Catalyst Fire sums up my ... (read more)

Report this review (#1174857) | Posted by Gallifrey | Tuesday, May 13, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A marriage between traditional prog metal and that atmospheric direction that the more adventurous black metal bands have taking recently. A true marriage, half-way, not just a black metal with progressive structures or prog trying to seem cool. Tracks are divided between more metallic numbers, at ... (read more)

Report this review (#1133605) | Posted by Progrussia | Tuesday, February 18, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ok...If I must admit...these guys have been below my radar for a very long time. I was aware of the praise their first 2 albums got, and always had a slight interest in them, but whether it was a lack of interest in prog or infatuation with something else, I never gave these guys any attention ... (read more)

Report this review (#987990) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Friday, June 28, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LEPROUS "Coal"