Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath 13 album cover

rock music collection

Buy BLACK SABBATH Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. End of the Beginning (8:05)
2. God Is Dead? (8:52)

Session member:
- Brad Wilk / drums

Produced by Rick Rubin
Label: Vertigo, Universal

Thanks to geneyesontle for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH 13 Music

Heaven & HellHeaven & Hell
Rhino Records 2008
Sabbath Bloody SabbathSabbath Bloody Sabbath
Warner Off Roster 1990
BLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVDBLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVD
Multiple Formats
Volume 4Volume 4
Rhino Records 2011
Vinyl$13.99
Black Sabbath : Live Evil CD US $11.80 Buy It Now 42m 12s
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $7.19 Buy It Now 47m 14s
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD, 1990, Warner Bros.) US $6.19 Buy It Now 47m 14s
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell - 2735073 US $27.11 Buy It Now 49m 54s
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules - 2735070 US $27.11 Buy It Now 49m 56s
BLACK SABBATH-HEAVEN & HELL-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV LP 1980-UNIQUE COVER-GOLD STAR US $24.99 Buy It Now 50m 53s
Black Sabbath CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
57m 40s
Black sabbath. Live evil original 1983 uk vertigo label double vinyl lp sab 10 US $34.28 Buy It Now 57m 59s
CATHEDRAL The Carnival Bizarre +1 '95 JAPAN 1ST CD OBI DOOM STONER BLACK SABBATH US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h
BLACK SABBATH 'IRON MAN : THE BEST OF' CD US $20.41 Buy It Now 1h 2m
BLACK SABBATH BORN AGAIN 1ST PRESS CD VERTIGO RARE!! US $19.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi Seven Star VINYL LP Japan Obi NMint US $79.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Black Sabbath Mob Rules VINYL LP Japan Obi NMint US $79.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at The Paris" Live 1984 1CD/1CDR Black Sabbath US $50.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath / Ozzy Osbourne Guitar Backing Tracks - 13 Classic Rock Jam Trax US $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll (1998) US $8.15 [0 bids]
Dio Holy Diver Vinyl Record 1983 Original US Black Sabbath Rainbow Heavy Metal US $15.00 [9 bids]
AC/DC LIVE CD rock metal ozzy judas priest black sabbath led zeppelin US $4.49 [0 bids]
MERCYFUL FATE Into the Unknown king diamond metal slayer black sabbath motorhead US $4.99 [0 bids]
AC/DC Back in Black CD rock metal black sabbath led zeppelin iron maiden ozzy US $4.99 [0 bids]
KING DIAMOND ABIGAIL CD mercyful fate metal metallica black sabbath ozzy slayer US $24.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl record BLACK SABBATH US $150.00 [0 bids]
"Soundgarden Megadeth Alice In Chains Motorhead Black Sabbath KERRANG 2 cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Black Sabbath(Cassette)Heaven And Hell-Very Good US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Black Sabbath(Cassette)Greatest Hits-Very Good US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
BLACK SABBATH TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP;S US $21.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Warfaring Strangers - Darkscorch Canticles 2LP Medusa Stonehenge Black Sabbath US $22.00 [0 bids]
Medusa - First Step Beyond LP Black Sabbath Pagan Altar Stonehenge Saint Vitus US $22.00 [0 bids]
Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today 2LP Saint Vitus Black Sabbath Pentagram US $25.00 [0 bids]
Electric Wizard - Black Masses 2LP Pentagram Saint Vitus Black Sabbath Sleep US $26.00 [0 bids]
Essenz - Mundus Numen (grey LP) My Dying Bride, Opeth, Sunn O))), Black Sabbath US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
RARE KERRANG PLAYING CARD - Tony Lommi (Black Sabbath) US $6.45 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Cauldron Into The Cauldron LP NWOBHM - black sabbath, iron maiden, doom, priest US $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 45m
BLACK SABBATH - Russian 3 DIFF. Lp MEZH MEDIA / MELODIYA RUSSIA Ozzy Osbourne US $79.90 Buy It Now 3h 52m
IAN GILLIAN TONY IOMMI WHO CARES 2CD DEEP PURPLE BLACK SABBATH DIO GLENN HUGHES! US $5.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy- LP US $8.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - ACCIDENTAL OVERDOSE - 2 CD - ULTRA RARE US $69.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Black Sabbath "Attention Volume 2" Vinyl LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Black Sabbath / Dehumanizer JAPAN+1 Dio OOP!!!!! B US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Ozzy Osbourne - "Live Pigs" Promo CD (ZSK-1948) RARE!!! Black Sabbath. US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Black Sabbath - , Vol. 4 (Limited Edition, 2000) US $13.21 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Vintage Black Sabbath Music Rock & Roll Patch in Thick Acrylic Display Holder US $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 43m
vintage Ronnie James Dio Intermission LP record LIVE EP NR MINT Black Sabbath US $7.99 [0 bids]
vintage 1982 Black Sabbath Live Evil 2X LP record Ronnie James Dio VERY CLEAN US $11.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Set Of 3 1" Pins Buttons #1 Metal Metallica OZZY Osbourne BLOODY US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Black Sabbath : Greatest Hits CD (1991) US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h
Black Sabbath: Mob Rules CD 2008 Remaster Warner Bros / Rhino R2 460156 B US $8.95 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Black Sabbath ATTENTION! Volume 1 Ozzy Osbourne Tony Iommi SEALED Vinyl Record US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Black Sabbath ATTENTION! Volume 2 Ozzy Osbourne Tony Iommi SEALED Vinyl Record US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Black Sabbath "Live At Last" LP Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath,CD,We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N Roll, Vol. II US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
BLACK SABBATH OZZY RULES BUDAPEST ( CD ) US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH ''XIII'' + ''EVIL'' + ''LIVE'' - 3 VINYL LPs US $109.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - 13 Logo Circle Flame - T Shirt - Brand New Official Merchandise US $24.41 Buy It Now 5h 27m
BLACK SABBATH Dehumanizer DELUXE EDITION MINI LP 2 CD US $17.49 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Reunion by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1998, 2 Discs, Epic (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH FORBIDDEN MINI LP CD OBI US $16.14 Buy It Now 5h 37m
BLACK SABBATH HEADLESS CROSS MINI LP CD OBI US $16.14 Buy It Now 5h 37m
BLACK SABBATH TYR MINI LP CD OBI US $16.14 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Record GIVE'M THE WORKS rock collection NM vinyl VG+ cover Black Sabbath + US $4.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Paranoid CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros.) US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH / THE BEST / 1983 AUSTRALIAN LP US $8.15 [1 bids]
BLACK SABBATH UK TOUR PROGRAMME 1980 DIO US $6.86 [7 bids]
6h
BLACK SABBATH - SABOTAGE LP - 2012 180 gram NM VINYL US $14.82 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath, Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath (CD, Essential Records) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 32m
THE HISTORY OF BLACK SABBATH OZZY TO DIO US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath" Second US edition Pentagram Metallica US $75.99 Buy It Now 6h 41m
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros.) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne "Just Say Ozzy" Mini Lp Greek Edition Black Sabbath Metallica US $51.99 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Count Raven "Storm Warning" Original LP Pentagram Cathedral Black Sabbath US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
DIO - DIAMONDS : BEST OF CD ~ RONNIE JAMES ( BLACK SABBATH ) GREATEST HITS *NEW* US $11.89 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Black Sabbath - The Dio Years KOREA CD *SEALED* US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
BADLANDS - Self-Titled 1989 CD Black Sabbath Kiss Ozzy Osbourne Atlantic S/T US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
BLACK SABBATH Greatest Hits RARE W. GERMANY Intercord CD issue US $80.00 Buy It Now 7h 17m
BLACK SABBATH - NEON KNIGHTS 7" VINYL US $8.96 Buy It Now 7h 26m
BLACK SABBATH - NEVER SAY DIE 7" VINYL US $7.33 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Black Sabbath - Paranoid / Wizard Vertigo Swirl Turkish Edt. 7" Free P+P NM US $150.00 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Black Sabbath: Debut FIRST PRESSING IN EVERY WAY STUNNING NEAR MINT AUDIO LP US $244.85 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath: Vol 4 FIRST PRESSING UK STUNNING NEAR MINT AUDIO LP US $244.85 [0 bids]
Blackest Sabbath: Black Sabbath 1970-1987 by Black Sabbath US $24.49 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Lords Of The Crimson Alliance, NEW, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond US $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid Wizard Turkey & Turkish Edition Unique PS 7" MEGA RARE US $99.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Rare Greatest Hits Import Cassette Classic Songs. US $2.75 [0 bids]
Black sabbath - PARANOID - Vertigo spaceship - Vinyl Album - ozzy - 1970 US $24.49 [0 bids]
black sabbath forbidden lp Rare Ozzy Dio Rainbow Vertigo Limited ed. US $19.99 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath CD Paranoid US $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Black Sabbath CD Nativity in Black Tribute RARE OOP! US $18.95 Buy It Now 8h 9m
BLACK SABBATH SEVENTH STAR 1986 YUGOSLAVIA PRESS PHILIPS LABEL NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Black Sabbath - Collection (2001) 261 US $7.33 Buy It Now 8h 18m
BLACK SABBATH CD SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH HOLLAND IMPORT CREATIVE SOUNDS LABEL US $3.99 [0 bids]
Limited Edition Black Sabbath Fully Signed Mount Display AUTOGRAPH OZZY OSBOURNE US $4.88 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears (U.S. Press)black sabbath/kiss/zakk wylde/bls US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
BLACK SABBATH 13 2 Disc Deluxe Edition CD 11 Tracks MINT Ltd 3D Lenticular Cover US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne - The Ozzman Cometh (U.S. 2CD Org. Press)black sabbath/zakk wylde US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Limited Edition Ozzy Osbourne Signed Mount Display AUTOGRAPH BLACK SABBATH US $4.88 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell Vinyl LP © 1980 Warner Bros. US $2.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH 13 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(26%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(42%)

BLACK SABBATH 13 reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This is my third review of quite old artists/bands in a row.

After Bowie and Purple, here come the Sabbath time?My first two opinions were rather average, and I was not really aware of what I was going to discover with this Sabbath album.

The return of the giant Ozzy?

I Was this a joke or could this be something worth? Let's have a listen? From the VERY first notes of "End Of The Beginning", I knew that something special was going to take place. Their incredible and doomy sound, the fantastic Iommi on the guitar and the so special Ozzy voice. I felt like I was brought back in the early seventies (you know, the good old times)!

Just to remind you that my first concert ever was Sabbath in March 1973. At the time they were considered as hard (heavy) rock band?

The same feeling prevails during the fantastic "God Is Dead". It is a long, dark, doomy, heavy and slow paced song. What a great song! What a great come back for this band. From virtually nowhere actually. These two songs only are just a great kick! Second highlight for sure. But there are sooooo many more here!

There are really no weak track on this album (well the long heavy and bluesy "Damaged Soul" is not extraordinary to be honest). Even if "Loner" cannot stand the comparison with the two openers (which is very difficult), it is still a solid heavy song. One can even get an acoustic break in the midst of all this excellent heaviness ("Zeitgeist").

The third long number is another great song: "Age Of Reason" contains each Sabbath's vintage ingredient. I guess that all of their fans were submerged with happiness while listening to this great track (although not my fave). Who knows what the band could have achieved if their line-up would have remained stable (meaning basically with Ozzy)?

I am totally in line with "Vibrationbaby" when he asserts that this could have been "Sabbath 5". The music here is really incredible and so close to the one of their greatest days. "Live Forever" is another fabulous example! And what can I say I say about the closing number "Dear Father"?

This is just FABULOUS my friends.

If I can give you a tip: if I were you, I would get the special edition of this CD because the three bonus tracks are really worth (which is not often the case). "Methademic" is a solid hard rock anthem full of dynamics and heaviness and totally in line with the album. This has nothing to do with filler. By no means! Even more: it is another highlight as far as I am concerned. "Pariah" is just another great song of this excellent and surprising album!

I hope to be able to witness another Black Sabbath concert before they end their career (or before I end my life). This is a great heavy metal album. Four solid stars is my rating.

I wish to witness them once more in my (their) life. They cancelled a concert in 1999 close to my place as well as last year in Rotterdam due to Tony's health problems. See you guys???

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#1015846) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review by UMUR
3 stars "13" is the 19th full-length studio album by UK heavy/doom metal act Black Sabbath. The album was released through Vertigo Records in June 2013. It´s the first album by the group since the release of "Forbidden" in 1995 and the first with Ozzy Osbourne since "Never Say Die! (1978)". The members have of course been busy with other projects in the intermediate years. Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi with solo careers and the two latter mentioned gentlemen also with Heaven and Hell (and with other projects). "13" was originally meant to feature original drummer Bill Ward too, but he bailed out because of contractual issues and his place is taken by Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk. So this is almost a reunion album by the original Black Sabbath lineup. As close as it gets anyway.

35 Years since these guys last recorded an album together and a new drummer do not affect the fact that the music on "13" sounds unmistakably like Black Sabbath. It´s audible that the band have gone for a vintage sound and it is the Ozzy-led albums from the early- to mid 70s that are the reference here. So we´re talking a heavy and organic sounding rhythm section, brick heavy guitar riffing, blues influenced soloing, and of course Ozzy Osbourne´s distinct sounding vocals in front. The lack of any surprises and the fact that the band have chosen to "play it safe" were slightly disappointing upon my initial listen, but slowly the quality of the tracks and the excellent musicianship begin to unfold and combined they actually make for a great listening experience. The Rick Rubin sound production is unfortunately not the best. Especially the drums sound a bit thin.

The opening pair of tracks, "End of the Beginning" and "God is Dead?" open the album in crushingly heavy style. Add a more dark and gritty sound and you´re close to being transported back to the 70s. The mellow and stoned "Zeitgeist" sounds like the younger brother to "Planet Caravan", and is a highlight on the album. Another highlight is "Damaged Soul", which sounds very retro and organic. The material are generally strong but not extraordinary, but if this turns out to the last album released by Black Sabbath, at least it´s a much, much stronger album than "Forbidden (1995)" and a much more suiting end to a great career. A 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1031958) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars The perfect Halloween album perhaps as we draw nigh to that date, Sabbath return with a fury on "13" - album number 19 in the studio. It is hard to resist the power trio of Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Ozzy Osbourne, back together at last. If nothing else it is great to hear Ozzy wail and his tone is so endearing. I have enjoyed Ozzy's journey from early dark debut to solo career and of course The Osbournes is legendary television.

The new album impresses with Iommi'as incredible deep resonating riffs and Butler's mighty bass but the real star is Ozzy who is terrific on vocals. He sounds as though he has been put into a cupboard and dusted off to rise again such is the crystal clarity of his vocals. The man has hardly changed over the years in terms of vocal technique. The lyrics have remained as dark as ever too with a few laughable moments such as "Satan's waitin;" and "God is dead". It is not exactly groundbreaking but it is Sabbath through and through.

I could not really latch onto any specific song as a highlight because they all whirl past in a blur with a ton of metal guitar in a classic metal vein and a ton of melodic singing. However I can say I loved the opener "End of the Beginning" and "Zeitgeist" is a psych metal delight, and perhaps a strong contender for a return to the classic Sabbath riff is found on the wonderful 'Age of Reason'.

Overall this is a decent return to the classic lineup. I cannot compare it with the great proto metal sound of vintage Sabbath though as that is definitive Sabbath, however "13" is still going to please many a Sabbath fan.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#1067302) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 27, 2013

Review by Gatot
4 stars It reminds me to the seventies ...

I never expected much on this new album by a band that is already old. But surprisingly when I first listened to this album I was really surprised by the music especially with the vibes it produced while I was enjoying the album. Somehow the music brings me back to the first album of Black Sabbath decades ago or during late sixties. The only different thing is that the record quality is now very digital with all sonic production is crystal clear and all subtleties can be enjoyed throughout the album.

The opening track "End of the Beginning" (8:05) reminds me back to Black Sabbath from the first album, at least from the riffs it produces as well as the guitar fills. In some way it's very similar. It's OK as long as it's coming back to the music of thir own. Ozzy's voice is still good and clear. Even though Bill Ward is not around, Brad is doing a good job in drumming. Even though starts slow the music moves in crescendo so that at the end of the track it sounds rocking. Aactually I hat the title of the second track "God Is Dead?" because I firmly believe that God has never and will not ever dead forever. But looking at the end of the lyrics there is a statement that says "I believe that God is not dead" - YES! Musically this second track is terrific and I love it very much especially how the song moves wonderfully from slow paced music with Ozzy's low register notes and it moves to heavier part as well. It's an easy to digest kind of music.

"Loner" (4:59) runs through different mode than previous two tracks but still a very good one to enjoy. I like the combined work of Iomi with his guitar and Geezer Butler with his bass guitar. The mellow "Zeitgeist" (4:37) is beautifully composed with merely using bass guitar with its solid lines and guitar fills. The music blast off again with "Age of Reason" (7:01) in faster tempo than previous tracks. I love all the remaining tracks as well as "Live Forever", ""Damaged Soul", and "Dear Father" are all very good tracks. THE BONUS MATERIAL "Methademic" is really great as well as the other two.

Overall it's an excellent come back for three original members of the band. Listening to this album in its entirety reminds me back to the early albums of Sabbath and also other seventies music like Moxy, Frumpy, Babe Ruth, Mahogany Rush, Grand Funk Railroad, Leslie West, Lord Sutch, Budgie, and many more classic rock bands ....oh what a glory days of seventies ... Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1076902) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 15, 2013

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars In listening to this, the first Black Sabbath studio album with Ozzy Osbourne in 35 years (I'm not counting the two studio tracks that were tacked onto Reunion), it's impossible to escape one overwhelming impression: everybody involved REALLY wanted this to sound like a classic Black Sabbath album. This isn't necessarily for the best, as the ways in which they succeed at this and the ways in which they fail at this each undercut the album in their own way. On the one hand, nods to the band's past abound, both in general stylistic imitations of older material and in occasionally coming very close to directly plagiarizing themselves. On the other hand, Ozzy clearly sounds like an old man trying to imitate his younger self, and more importantly the album (as many people have noted) is mixed far too loudly to properly capture the atmosphere the band's classic albums had at their best. Those albums had often been loud and heavy by the standards of their day, but there was enough space in the mix to lend a sense of mystery to the sound, whereas everything here is so loud and in-your-face that that aspect of the band's sound is completely lost. Chalk it up to another Rick Rubin special.

Then again, if Ozzy and Tony and Geezer (Bill Ward didn't contribute for various reasons) really felt the strong need to make another Black Sabbath album together, this approach was probably the best of the realistic options. Ozzy and Tony had each had ample opportunity to try different approaches since parting ways, and I think it would be very generous to say that the results for each had been "mixed." Making a deliberate stab at imitating their style from 40 years previous may be artistically disappointing in that it would limit the ceiling of what this project could deliver, but it would also significantly limit the floor, and given that this approach also represented the chance to make a truckload of money, I'm perfectly ok with them taking this route. At the very least, Tony lived up to his part by writing plenty of great riffs, which he hadn't always done since Ozzy left, and it's nice again to have so many parts with Tony clearly in one channel and Geezer in the other.

The oddest feature of the album is just how long some of the tracks last; the album takes up 53 minutes in a mere 8 tracks. It's as if, among all of the other features the band decided to pull in from its classic period, the band decided they really needed to include "epics" along the lines of the longer tracks from Vol. 4 or Sabotage, and there isn't always a lot of justification for this. "God is Dead," for instance, lasts a whopping 9 minutes, but however good some of the riffs might be, I feel like this could have been easily reduced down to 5. "Age of Reason" has a killer riff of its own, but it's not enough to justify its 7- minute length either. There are long tracks that more-or-less deserve their full running times, though. The opening "The End of the Beginning" starts off as a hilariously blatant rip- off of "Black Sabbath" (both in the riff and in the nervous drumming), but it quickly spins off into a completely different (and kinda awesome) riff before growing into a guitar-frenzied passage that occasionally sounds like "Looking for Today" but only a little bit. "Damaged Soul" is a full-fledged 8-minute slow metal blues, with Ozzy playing some decent harmonica, and given that the band really hadn't done anything bluesy after the debut, I'm very happy to hear them go back in this direction for one track. The closing "Dear Father" also stands out with crushing primary and secondary riffs (there's a riff starting around the 3:00 mark that kicks a tremendous amount of ass, and there's a faster one after it that drives the song to its end), and it's kinda funny how the album closes with the same rainfall/chime sample that started off the debut album.

The other three tracks are a "Planet Caravan" imitation ("Zeitgeist") that isn't as great as the original but still kinda pretty, and a pair of five-minute decent riff-based heavy rockers ("Loner," "Live Forever") that could have blended right into the band's classic period (with different production, obviously). All told, this mix of decent-to-good tracks, hurt some by the excessive loudness and the blatant retreading, earns a ***, but it turns out that the version I have has four bonus tracks, and they're really good (almost enough to make me think about boosting this to ****). My favorite of the lot, and my favorite of all of the tracks from this album, is "Methademic," which grows from a quiet acoustic introduction into a speedy thrash-y rocker with lots of guitar texture in the verses and a killer riff in the breaks, with the best vocal melody of the album by a long shot. "Peace of Mind" is built around a riff where the guitar drops out at the end to highlight the bass (before speeding up in the second half), and if Vol. 4. had this song instead of, say, "Cornucopia" or "Snowblind," I'd think more highly of that album.

"Pariah" is a little weaker, but it has its own share of good ideas (and it has more contrast in the sound than a lot of the material from the main album does), such as the riff that plays when Ozzy sings the hilarious Sabbath-y chorus of "I'm your pariah, for your desire, ain't no Messiah, just your pariah." And finally, "Naivete in Black" is not an original song title for the band, but the song is nothing like its predecessor, reminding me more of something like "Neon Knights" than of an Ozzy-era track, and the blending of past styles works well here. I guess what fascinates me most about these four tracks, and consequently helps me like them so much, is that they strike me as tracks where the band backed off from its deliberate attempts to sound like its classic self, but in the process managed to capture the spirit and quality of its classic self far better than elsewhere; after all, at the time they were making those albums, Black Sabbath didn't yet know what the classic Black Sabbath sound was, and they were just making music the best that they could. The decision to relegate these tracks to bonus tracks that are only available in some editions baffles me.

If you like classic Black Sabbath, you'll probably like this album, but it's also unlikely that you'll regard it as important as the best albums from that era after you've listened to this three times. Still, I do rate it the main album as the equal of Vol. 4, and the version with the four bonus tracks slightly higher; given that my initial reaction upon hearing of an impending new Black Sabbath album was to brace myself that I'd give a ** rating, this outcome makes me very happy. It's a little unjust to live in a world where this got tons of press while the 2013 Deep Purple album Now What?! was ignored, but them's the breaks I suppose.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1080385) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 22, 2013

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I was very excited when Black Sabbath announced a reunion tour and a new album on 11-11-11 (November 11th, 2011) and so began the wait for the mid-2013 release date!

The band released their first new single God Is Dead? a couple of months prior to the album release and I thought that it was a pretty decent track, even though the track was almost 9 minutes long and had little variation throughout it's first 7 minutes. End Of The Beginning was the second single and it initially sounded like the band trying to recreate the mood and sound of their band-titled track off the debut album. Eventually I've grown to like both these singles but none of them sounded like anything new nor was it all that forward-thinking.

Once I finally got a hold of the album it didn't take me long to begin enjoying it. I immediately found my favorite track off the bunch, Dear Father, which is both strong in its content and performance. The rest of the material felt like it was either in line with the two singles or was even better, which pretty much means that there are no lesser compositions among these eleven tracks! Tony delivers memorable guitar riffs, Ozzys vocals are great and Geezer/Brad provide solid foundation for the tracks. The only negative aspect that I can think of were the lyrics written by Geezer Butler which often felt quite flat, this was especially apparent on the two singles. Still, it's not a huge problem for me considering that the rest of the record is pretty solid.

If you are a fan of heavy metal music then 13 is definitely one of the top 5 albums you should be getting this year, an excellent album well worse the price of the admission. I would definitely recommend grabbing the deluxe edition of the album which features three bonus tracks, all of which are great and one of them, Methademic, even manages to show signs of excellence thanks to the riff work from Iommi. If I were Sabbath then I would call it a day and end on the high note which this record definitely represents.

***** star songs: Live Forever (4:46) Dear Father (7:20) Methademic (5:57)

**** star songs: End Of The Beginning (8:05) God Is Dead? (8:52) Loner (4:59) Zeitgeist (4:37) Age Of Reason (7:01) Damaged Soul (7:51) Peace Of Mind (3:40) Pariah (5:34)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#1101642) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 28, 2013

Review by siLLy puPPy
4 stars Finally. After 35 years Ozzy, Geezer and Tony finally get together to release a much anticipated album. Bill Ward opted out and Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine took the slot, so this isn't a complete reunion but it really sounds like classic Sabbath. The band stayed as true as they could to the classic 70s era and I have to say that I really like the results of the effort.

What we get here is retro SABBATH in all its glory. The production is up-to-date but the songs feel like this album could have come out right after SABOTAGE and is by far more interesting than either TECHNICAL ECSTASY or NEVER SAY DIE. There is no doubt that there is some blatant self-plagiarism here. The very beginning riff sounds like the beginning riff of the very first album from 1970. The song "Zeitgeist" is a clear reference to "Planet Caravan" from PARANOID. If you listen throughout the album different parts will remind you of older songs.

A recycled album maybe but one that I really enjoy hearing and never really expected would be released after the gazillion attempts over the years to make this happen. Despite this not being a full reunion and also in no way in competition to replace any of the classics as a favorite album, I still find this a very satisfying listen. I can get behind this retro sound only because this is like a new beginning. If they decide to begin releasing new albums I really hope they don't stagnate trying to recreate the past and move on into some newer frontiers. 3.5 rounded up

Send comments to siLLy puPPy (BETA) | Report this review (#1143305) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 06, 2014

3 stars Back during Black Sabbath's golden era I was a total "fanboy", I loved the band's music over its Ozzy period. When Dio took over vocal duties I still liked the band however my love for the band waned somewhat. "Heaven and Hell" fronted by Dio was a very good album which probably rescued Black ... (read more)

Report this review (#1016921) | Posted by sukmytoe | Monday, August 12, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Black Sabbaths new album 13 is full of great riffs. I listened new album couple of times from youtube before I bought japanese 2cd edition. I havent tried with good stereo system yet, so I dont know how much loudness war has an affect to cd. Anyway album sounds at least very good and I think even ex ... (read more)

Report this review (#991211) | Posted by Muumi | Wednesday, July 03, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So here it is. After years and years of waiting. Black Sabbath are back. The first album in over 15 years, and the first album with Ozzy in over 30 years. This album has been on and off for so many years that no one knew when this day would come. And now it has. The best way to describe this ... (read more)

Report this review (#990512) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Monday, July 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars ( I bought the Deluxe Edition which was used for this short review ) This could have easily been called Black Sabbath Volume 5 because stylistically that's where it fits in with Sabbath's timeline just before the experiments with a more streamlined sound on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotag ... (read more)

Report this review (#978633) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Saturday, June 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ok. So here it is then. ... Phew. A lot has happened since 1978. The lates developments of the endlessly dramatic saga of Black Sabbath of course being the numerous reunion tours with the original line-up, one aborted recording project with Rick Rubin, hiatuses, other projects, more reun ... (read more)

Report this review (#977292) | Posted by Pekka | Thursday, June 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Here we go again, Black Sabbath! 40 odd years ago as a teenager, I was mightily impressed by the heavy sound of this band. To this day I still enjoy their earlier works, but later they've lost that sound and I've lost interest. Truth is that I very much enjoy riff-based tunes, but I felt a bi ... (read more)

Report this review (#974596) | Posted by BORA | Sunday, June 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "13"