LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL

The Tangent

The Tangent Le Sacre du Travail album cover

Buy THE TANGENT Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. 1st movement: Coming Up on the Hour (Overture) (5:55)
2. 2nd movement: Morning Journey & Arrival (22:54)
3. 3rd movement: Afternoon Malaise (19:20)
4. 4th movement: A Voyage Through Rush Hour (3:07)
5. 5th movement: Evening TV (12:06)
Bonus tracks:
6. Muffled Ephiphany (4:05)
7. Hat (Live at Mexborough School 1979) (1:16)
8. Evening TV (Radio Edit) (4:28)

Search THE TANGENT Le Sacre du Travail lyrics

- Simon Albone / bass
- David Albone / drums
- unknown / guitar
- Andy Tillison / all other instruments

CD Inside Out 0506558 (Germany) (June 24, 2013)
CD Inside Out 0655-2 (US) (June 24, 2013)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

THE TANGENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE TANGENT Le Sacre du Travail Music

Special Edition
Inside Out U.S. 2004
Going Off on OneGoing Off on One
Inside Out U.S. 2007
Comm by The Tangent (CD, Sep-2011, Inside Out Music) US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Down and Out in Paris and London by The Tangent (CD, Nov-2009, CMA) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
ARE WE NOT MEN-Demo-ROCKBOY-Tangent-THORNS-Gospel-Cd's US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Jean Jenkins "Music In The World of Islam - 2: Lutes" RARE ORIG TANGENT UK LP  US $19.99 [0 bids]
Tangent 2002: Disco Nouveau by US $5.34 Buy It Now 8h 40m
retro magazine advert 1980 TANGENT SYSTEMS US $8.43 Buy It Now 16h 30m
BUSDRIVER 'FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT' US LP BRAND NEW UNPLAYED DISTRIBUTOR STOCK US $13.51 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent (NEW CD) US $19.00 Buy It Now 22h 46m
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent - Vol. 1-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $33.99 Buy It Now 1 day
British Traditional Jazz-At A Tangent - Vol. 2-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $33.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mood Deluxe - Tangent Universe [CD New] US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Spontaneous Music Ensemble THE SOURCE Trevor Watts Original 1970 Tangent 107lp US $95.00 [0 bids]
TANGENT - WORLD THAT WE DRIVE THROUGH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $36.83 Buy It Now 1 day
MUCKLE SANGS Scottish Tradition Series Vol 5 2-LP Tangent TNGM 119 (1975) UK NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Busdriver Fear Of A Black Tangent CD (UK Import) NEW US $14.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Tangent - World That We Drive Through [CD New] US $22.91 Buy It Now 2 days
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM strings 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 2 days
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM lutes 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 2 days
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM flutes & trumpets 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 2 days
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM reeds & bagpipes 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $50.71 Buy It Now 2 days
MUSIC IN THE WORLD OF ISLAM drums & rhythms 1976 UK TANGENT STEREO LP US $59.16 Buy It Now 2 days
MONOLAKE-tangent-RARE ORIG 1999 IMBALANCE COMPUTER MUSIC GERMANY 12" US $7.90 Buy It Now 2 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) +2 BONUS TRACKS CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Trailer Park by Beth Orton (CD, Apr-1997, Dedicated) Chemical Brothers Tangent US $2.99 [0 bids]
Eddie Mendenhall - Cosine Meets Tangent CD Digipak US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
693723119922 Not As Good As The Book The Tangent 2 CD ANDY TILLISON FAST POST US $11.82 Buy It Now 3 days
VARIOUS:"SCOTTISH TRADITION-BOTHY BALLADS".1971 TANGENT MONO.NEAR MINT+BOOKLET!! US $11.83 Buy It Now 3 days
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic [CD New] US $14.82 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt + Chasing Shadows Live 38 track 2 CD SEALED US $16.89 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT The Studio Sessions + Shadow Magic 36 track 2 CD SEALED Bristol Shadows US $16.89 Buy It Now 3 days
Territory Bands-At A Tangent - Vol. 4-Territory Bands-At A Tangent [CD New] US $21.41 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT - TRIBUTES & RARITIES/LIVE OVER ENGLAND - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.93 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent GOING OFF ON ONE DVD new & sealed US $9.99 [0 bids]
Tangent : Origin CD US $8.85 Buy It Now 3 days
THE TANGENT - THE STUDIO SESSIONS/SHADOW MAGIC - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.05 Buy It Now 3 days
TANGENT PLANE - PROJECT ELIMI - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) (NEW LTD CD) Pre-order US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Tangent Ill: A Place In The Queue 2006 ULTRARARE RUSSIAN EDITION with OBI US $9.94 Buy It Now 3 days
AT A TANGENT, VOL. 4: TERRITORY BANDS (5017116532726) - NEW CD US $18.43 Buy It Now 3 days
Going Off On One by The Tangent (CD, Jun-2007, 2 Discs, Inside Out Music) US $14.38 Buy It Now 4 days
Delio: Though, on; As though; Dashow: Songs from a Spiral Tree; First Tangent... US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tangent - Going Off On One [CD New] US $17.33 Buy It Now 4 days
THE TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE [THE TANGENT] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.05 Buy It Now 4 days
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone (CD, Sep-2003, Inside Out Music) US $17.09 Buy It Now 4 days
TANGENT - DOWN & OUT IN PARIS & LONDON NEW CD US $21.93 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE - BONUS TRACK NEW CD US $27.29 Buy It Now 5 days
Cross Town Traffique 45 rpm Record ''Tangent Records'' Shadow Woman'' US $14.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, Jul-2013, Century... US $13.66 Buy It Now 5 days
Comm by The Tangent (CD, Sep-2011, Inside Out Music) US $11.23 Buy It Now 5 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, 2013, Inside Out... US $11.26 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TANGENT - DOWN AND OUT IN PARIS AND LONDON [THE TANGENT] - NEW CD US $13.65 Buy It Now 5 days
TRISH CLOWES - TANGENT [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $10.16 Buy It Now 5 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work) (NEW LTD CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TANGENT - LE SACRE DU TRAVAIL (THE RITE OF WORK) [5052205065587] - NEW CD US $19.85 Buy It Now 5 days
TANGENT - GOING OFF ON ONE NEW DVD US $24.23 Buy It Now 6 days
TRISH CLOWES - TANGENT NEW CD US $15.83 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent - Down & Out In Paris & London [CD New] US $14.02 Buy It Now 6 days
A Place in the Queue [Bonus CD] [Digipak] by The Tangent (CD, Jan-2006, 2... US $6.99 [0 bids]
BOBS s/t LP 11 track sleeve has sticker residue (tanlp7014) us tangent 1983 US $14.74 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Comm US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail US $10.50 Buy It Now 6 days
The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book (Special Edition) US $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities/Live Over England [CD New] US $14.85 Buy It Now 6 days
EDDIE MENDENHALL - COSINE MEETS TANGENT [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.96 Buy It Now 7 days
C.P.E. BACH / SPANYI / TANGENT - COMPLETE KEYBOARD CONCERTOS 9 NEW CD US $28.05 Buy It Now 7 days
FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT BY BUSDRIVER (CD) US $17.44 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Going Off On One CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 7 days
Orbital Frog-Compiled By Ed Tangent CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities Live Over England CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 7 days
Trish Clowes - Tangent CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 7 days
Mendenhall Eddie - Cosine Meets Tangent CD US $17.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent - Not As Good As The Book W/ Book Spec CD US $35.56 Buy It Now 7 days
Territory Bands - At A Tangent Volume 4 - Various (NEW CD) US $20.69 Buy It Now 7 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent - Vol. 5-British Traditional Jazz [CD New] US $22.05 Buy It Now 7 days
Tangent PO 002 LP Moments US $99.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Craobh Nan Ubhal Flora MacNeil vinyl LP album record UK TGS124 TANGENT 1976 US $54.01 Buy It Now 8 days
Busdriver - Fear Of A Black Tangent - BDCD077 US $17.87 Buy It Now 8 days
CD-EP Tangent Plane - s/t RARE GERMAN PROG METAL INDIE 1996 US $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
TANGENT-GOING OFF ON ONE-JAPAN 2CDs Ii45 US $58.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Mendenhall,Eddie - Cosine Meets Tangent [CD New] US $15.94 Buy It Now 9 days
Tangent - Tributes & Rarities/Live Over England [Remastered] (2011) US $8.45 [0 bids]
Tangent - Studio Sessions/Shadow Magic [Remastered] (2011) US $8.45 [0 bids]
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent CD, 2013,Inside Out Music US $14.53 Buy It Now 9 days
Cosine Meets Tangent - Eddie Mendenhall New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.73 Buy It Now 9 days
Vol. 1-british Traditional Jazz At a Tangent - British Traditional Jazz At A Tan US $36.45 Buy It Now 9 days
Vol. 5-british Traditional Jazz At a Tangent - British Traditional Jazz At A Tan US $35.20 Buy It Now 9 days
BUSDRIVER - FEAR OF A BLACK TANGENT NEW CD US $27.66 Buy It Now 9 days
Beyond A Shadow Of A Doubt/Chasing Shadows Live - Tangent New & Sealed CD Free S US $24.60 Buy It Now 9 days
Not As Good As the Book (cd & Book) - Tangent New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TANGENT - TRIBUTES & RARITIES / LIVE OVER ENGLAND NEW CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Le Sacre du Travail (The Rite of Work) by The Tangent (CD, Jul-2013) NEW. US $13.59 Buy It Now 9 days
British Traditional Jazz At A Tangent Vol. 5 - Second Line: [6/2] by Various... US $19.11 Buy It Now 10 days
Fear Of A Black Tangent US $21.42 Buy It Now 10 days
Various Artists - At a Tangent, Vol. 4 (Territory Bands, 2014) US $23.04 Buy It Now 10 days
British Traditional Jazz - At a Tangent - Vol 1 - NEW - CD - Free P US $18.58 Buy It Now 10 days
BRITISH TRADITIONAL JAZZ -AT A TANGENT 2 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $39.89 Buy It Now 10 days
BRITISH TRADITIONAL JAZZ AT A TANGENT 1 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $39.89 Buy It Now 10 days
THE TANGENT - NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOOK [2 CD/BOOK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $26.76 Buy It Now 10 days
SHUSHA - SONG OF LONG-TIME LOVERS , TANGENT 1972 , EX/VG ,LP US $6.68 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy THE TANGENT music online Buy THE TANGENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE TANGENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE TANGENT Le Sacre du Travail ratings distribution

THE TANGENT Le Sacre du Travail reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars I honestly had never heard a The Tangent album. I know they are somewhat legendary, and they seem rather outspoken about prog rock. I definitely was thrilled to get a chance to review this album, though. The artwork is very sophisticated, so I expected the music to be as well.

I was not disappointed. This is a sprawling album, as it contains movements and two tracks that are about 20 minutes each! This album is certainly ambitious, and I think they achieved their goals for the most part. First, I'll discuss the music, but then I'll discuss the lyrical themes because they are integral to this album.

The music is rather standard eclectic prog. That may seem like an oxymoron, but this album is equal parts neo-prog and symphonic prog, and there is a rather interesting dichotomy between light and dark passages. This can especially be seen in the very innocent symphonic arrangements and flutes that are very classical in nature. They are very earthy in a way, and they often dominate a song for quite some time. Then again, there are some darker, wicked moments that explore the deeper side of the lyrical themes. Instrumentally, I was particularly impressed with the lead guitar work as there are some awesome guitar lines and solos throughout this album. The synth and keys are also impressive, but are used a little more conservatively. I think this may be to get their message across a little more clearly. The vocalist, Andy Tillson, has a unique voice that is quite rough, but somehow soothing and melodic at the same time. Last, but not least, the bassist delivers some truly groovy rhythms that get your foot stomping.

The Tangent has been known for their cynical lyrics for some time, as they have even been known to criticize music in their music. This album has a much grander scale in this regard, for this album is all about our work, careers, and jobs. It is about the grand futility of our every day commutes and journeys toward possessions and status. The album's title is "Le Sacre du Travail", which translates to English as "The Coronation of Work". That is quite meaningful for understanding the lyrics: The Tangent is discussing the worship of work as a means of happiness. I love the very beginning where we hear someone in the future describing the workers of the past, and how they did all these different things to be able to watch a box with pictures, to live in a box called a house, and so on and on. The point, I'm sure you see, is that we work away our lives to do nothing more than cage ourselves. We box ourselves and our thinking into one dimension of existence. Work-->sleep. Work-- >sleep. The great thing is that The Tangent has managed a mass global criticism all while delivering catching choruses, great instrumental passages, and delicate melodies. The album never gets boring, and it never gets pretentious.

I think my only complaint with this album is some of the writing. Some of it does come across as cheesy; such as one part where, while speaking about the fact we can't take our riches with us after we die, Tillson bellows, "Your kids will sell it all on Ebay" a few times in a row. It's as bad as you think it would be. However, the writing is mostly good-to-great, and the overall album contains some great music along with some average-to-good bonus tracks.

Apart from the well-done theme, I'm afraid this album would have been difficult to hear. However, this album is an excellent overall package that delivers thought-provoking refrains with beautiful melodies and symphonic arrangements. This is a tender album that delivers a surprising punch to the gut by way of societal commentary. This a definite listen for any prog rock fan. It is a true accomplishment in terms of scope and gentle melody, and a near masterpiece in terms of theme and composition.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#983915) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 21, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars he Tangent have certainly come a long way since Andy Tillison decided that he needed another project outside of PO90 and formed this band with Guy Manning and Roine Stolt. Neither are there these days, but he does have Jakko M. Jakszyk (Level 42) on guitar, Theo Travis (Robert Fripp, Gong, Porcupine Tree, Bill Nelson, No-Man, Steven Wilson etc) on sax, flutes and clarinets, Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings) on bass, Gavin Harrison (King Crimson, Porcupine Tree) on drums and singer David Longdon (Big Big Train) so none of these are slouches. This is a concept album, based on 'The Rite of Work'. There is a narration where it is explained that on this island 50 million people wake up, and an hour later they have to be more than 30 miles away doing something that they don't want to do, so that for a short period of time they can say that they can own a building!

This is a very English prog album, both in music and lyrics. I wonder how many people who have never heard 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' will understand the reference to factoids, but for someone like me who remembers when Steve was on Radio One (as opposed to Radio Two), all of this just made me smile. Musically it is very diverse, as although obvious reference is "Days of Future Passed" which starts with the beginning of the day and ending with the night, while here we start with the beginning of the day and ending up with "Evening TV" having survived the trip home through the rush hour, there is actually a lot going on as Andy brings in influences and textures from all forms of music. Some of the music is designed to make you think, while at other times it is almost pure pop. It doesn't always hit the mark, but when it does it is both enthralling and exciting.

Many years ago, Andy eked out a living as a sound engineer and was responsible for recording many independent bands at the end of the Seventies, and it is back to this era we go with the punk power pop version of "Hat", which may or may not be from 1979 as stated in the title.

It may not be perfect, but yet again Andy has produced something that is definitely worthy of investigation. If you haven't come across this band before then you owe it to yourself to do so now.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1007988) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013

Review by Gatot
4 stars a wonderfully crafted prog album!

Phew! Finally ... I got a chance to write this album from the band where I have been a big fan of it since its debut album which was really wonderful and it was totally in canterbury scene I would say. And now the latest album has been becoming my regular playlist but for some reason I failed to write a review about it. In one sense there has been confusion inside myself as whether or not I give a full five star rating or somewhere about four plus star rating. Well, I have been listening to it in its entirety more then ten spins already by now but yet I have not made any decision until I finally realized there are not so many people have reviewed it .... So have to write it by now and for sure the rating is on four star plus, not just four because this is really very excellent album and very close to perfection.

Musically, I imagine this is like something about or similar to classical movements even though I am not good at enjoying classical music per se. But I would treat my journey in listening to this album is like a classical music piece. It starts wonderfully with a full orchestra piece called as 1st movement: Coming Up on the Hour (Overture) (5:55) which sounds like a playing field by many musicians. But of course the listeners would be aware of the facts that there are plenty of softwares were used to record this opening piece as indicated by its liner notes on its inlay. The overture to me sounds like a masterpiece classical music regardless this is the result of software engineering work - I really don't care. In here, I can sense the beauty of the music as it sounds ...and honestly without reading the liner notes I would not be aware of the use of softwares. So ... congratulations Mr Andy! You have done such a great job on this opening piece.

The next bit is basically an epic in itself with 2nd movement: Morning Journey & Arrival (22:54) where at the beginning it moves very slowly and typical progrockers would not be so patient listening to the long and slow moving piece. But it's not in my case ... I fully enjoy this second track in its fullest from start to the end. But if you are quite patient enough the moves slowly in crescendo with excellent vocal work. There are long keyboard solo combined nicely with nice vocal choirs. It moves nicely to the next bit of track 3 titled as 3rd movement: Afternoon Malaise (19:20) with basically similar structure, starting with an ambient mode. But overall this third movement is as excellent as the 2nd.

I don't intend to elaborate track by track of this album but for sure the tracks featured in five movements are all of theme excellent in its entirety and all of the fives have formed one cohesive whole in terms of music structural integrity. I really admire this band, really!

As all probably have known that The Tangent is basically an ever-evolving lineup of talented musicians led by Andy Tillison. Le Sacre Du Travail which translated from the French means The Rite of Work which basically the story of down-to-earth subject matter: the millions of people who go to work every day. Boring? It's probably they are. But ...life is choices and they don't have the reason to get bored - in my humblest opinion. From the lineup, there is Andy himself, who wrote all of the material, and is featured heavily on keyboards, vocals, and guitar. Other Tangent regulars appearing on the album are Theo Travis playing woodwinds, Jonas Reingold from The Flower Kings on bass, Jakko Jakszyk on guitar, and Guy Manning on acoustic guitar. Gavin Harrison, a newcomer ex Porcupine Tree, plays drums, and David Longdon of Big Big Train contributed some vocals. Rikard Sjoblom of Beardfish does the narration on the first track of the album. In Beardfish's The Void, Andy Tillison did the narration on the first track, and now it seems that Rikard is returning the favor on Le Sacre Du Travail for the Tangent.

Andy explains the liner notes regarding the influences of this album. The most are Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, as well as Emerson Lake & Palmer's re-imagining of Pictures at an Exhibition. Actually Andy was working on re-writing The Rite of Spring, but was unable to complete the work due to copyright issues and finally made it as Le Sacre Du Travail.

Overall, I would highly recommend to those who claim themselves as progrockers to love this wonderfully crafted album. You should not miss this one at all. It's more than just an excellent progrock album but it also hooks you to the bone, I believe.... Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1169322) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 02, 2014

4 stars The Tangest's this year record "Le Sacre du Travail(The Rite of Work)" was an exciting experience and an example of good nowadays prog. The group is named Multi-National and features musicians from England and Sweden(perhaps more locations- nowadys it's hard to guess just by the names). The co ... (read more)

Report this review (#1040560) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Saturday, September 21, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Tangent are a band I have always kept a keen eye on. In fact, I have even had a brief history with the band (I was one of the finalists for the solo competition they had for their song 'The Wiki Man' from their last album 'COMM'), so I do know how amazing these guys are and that band leade ... (read more)

Report this review (#1001197) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Friday, July 19, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The most complete The Tangent album to date. And, to me, the best one since A Place in the Queue. I'd almost given up after the last two albums, but I'm very glad I gave this one a chance. The musicianship is superb, the lyrics are as clever and cynical as ever. (Only Andy Tillison could rhyme ' ... (read more)

Report this review (#997014) | Posted by PodProg | Saturday, July 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The latest release from The Tangent; 'Le Sacre Du Travail' (The Rite of Work) is in every way a modern Prog Rock classic, from the opening overture to the closing cacophony of traffic chaos and dying notes. It ticks all the boxes for a true prog production. A grand concept?check Symphonic ... (read more)

Report this review (#984971) | Posted by treebeard | Monday, June 24, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE TANGENT "Le Sacre du Travail"