RITUAL

Nemrud Ritual album cover

Buy NEMRUD Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. In My Mind (10:20)
2. Sorrow by Oneself (7:45)
3. Light (2:16)
4. Ritual (18:25)

Search NEMRUD Ritual lyrics

Search NEMRUD Ritual tabs

- Mert Göçay / guitars, vocals
- Aycan Sari / bass
- Mert Topel / keyboards
- Mert Alkaya / drums

CD Musea Records MP 3273 (France) (2013)

Thanks to windhawk for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

NEMRUD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Part I Journey of The Shaman, 2010

Musea Parallèle/Musea 2013
RitualRitual
Self-Produced
Vinyl$22.85

More places to buy NEMRUD music online Buy NEMRUD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NEMRUD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NEMRUD Ritual ratings distribution

NEMRUD Ritual reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
5 stars This sophomore album from Turkish proggers, Nemrud, has been a little bit of a battleground of late. It seems as if people either love it or hate it, but I'm not sure why that is. All I can say is that I LOVE this album, and of course I listened to it right after I did a countdown of my favorite albums for the first half of 2013 on my Facebook page, The PROG Mind. That kind of thing always happens to me. Sheesh.

Getting back to the album, I wasn't sure what to expect from this album, as it is labeled psychedelic/space rock. Yet, I would venture to say that it has quite a bit of neo-prog influence to it, too. In fact, I would daresay this album leans more towards the latter than the former. The music is generally easy-going, but technically brilliant at the same time. We get soothing synth and organ solos, delicate guitar passages, incredible solos, and blistering drum sections (is there such a thing?) all within one track, such as on "In My Mind" (my favorite track on the album). The music progresses very steadily sometimes to a soaring melody or climax; or sometimes it jumps around a little. So, even though on the surface it may seem like a soft and easy album, it really is genius once you let it sink in a bit.

The vocalist, Mert, has such a good voice with a slight accent. He really uplifts the music with his pleasant and strong tone, as can be seen on the short track, "Light". He makes this track something special with his smooth delivery and wonderful vocal melodies. Yet, the album is very dark as it follows a shaman through depression, sorrow, loss, etc. So, the vox are often very soulful and emotive---just the way I like them.

With all that said, however, this album is not for metalheads, certainly. If you like beautiful prog rock that features melody and structure, stunning climactic moments, and dark and profound ideas; then this album may please you.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1003908) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review by Warthur
4 stars With a compact running time of under 40 minutes, Nemrud are clearly aiming for quality over quantity with Nemrud, their second album, and on the whole I'd say they hit the mark with these long, dreamy space rock excursions. Lead guitarist Mert G''ay offers vocals here and there, but as is typical with space rock of this variety the focus is on shimmering instrumental passages. Mert Topel draws you in and spaces you out with his keyboards, whilst drummer Mert Alkaya has a knack for unleashing sudden drum interventions just at the point where a mood change would be most effective. The three Merts (plus bassist Aycan Sarı) have pulled off a good one here.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1060207) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 15, 2013

4 stars NEMRUD are back with their second release and the majority feel that this is a step up from their debut called "Journey Of The Shaman". I really enjoyed the debut myself as the band seemed to have a style similar to ELOY, and I think the complaints towards both bands are also similar as people point out the simplicity of the music and the less than average vocals. But for me Psychedelic music is all about creating a mood and being innovative. The vocals are secondary really and while the music may not be complex it really takes me to another place in my mind. By the way these guys are from Turkey which is where one of my favourite albums in the Psychedelic realm was created by SIDDHARTHA.

So we get four long tracks and they keep it under 40 minutes which is appreciated by yours truly. The story here is about a schizoid man who tries to face himself in his dreams for his own enlightenment. This one is darker and more melancholic than the debut.

Up first is "In My Mind" and it opens in an experimental manner before that melodic guitar comes in along with the drums. It picks up after 1 1/2 minutes then the vocals join in. He sings "Darkness grows in my mind...Fear erases the memories...The past is gone, in my mind...Courage releases unknown tales...Dreams appear in my mind...Shadow covers reality". The organ comes in floating as the vocals continue. Love the sound 6 minutes in, it's so uplifting as he sings "Welcome darkness, my restless friend...I am going to fly one last more...In my mind is only pain...All the memories are drained...Opened my eyes but I cannot see...What is being done to me?!?" The music turns heavy 8 1/2 minutes in when the vocals stop. Great track. "Sorrow By Oneself" opens in a very melancholic manner reminding me of a cross between FLOYD and PT. Vocals arrive as it continues in this laid back and slow moving style. A change 3 1/2 minutes in when the vocals stop as we get some interesting synth sounds and more. The guitar comes to the fore then it kicks in before 5 minutes but settles back quickly, although the tempo will continue to change. This is really good.

"Light" is by far the shortest track at just over 2 minutes. Spacey organ, beautiful guitar, and a relaxed beat as the vocals join in. "Ritual" is the final track and the epic at almost 18 1/2 minutes. Some eerie soundscapes here early on, and when the vocals come in the lyrics match that mood as he laments about being alone in the dark. The sound builds and seems to become more uplifting as it plays out. Incredible stuff right here. A change 5 minutes in as the vocals stop and the music becomes more relaxing. Vocals are back and I like when the guitar solos. It changes and picks up 7 minutes in. We get some light here as he sings about his fear disappearing and the music is more upbeat. An organ solo 9 1/2 minutes in when the vocals stop. He's back singing but the mood and lyrics stay positive. It all comes to a stop 14 minutes in, then it kicks in fairly heavily. It ends in an experimental manner much like the way the album started.

I couldn't give this anything less than 4 stars just like their debut.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#1166282) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2014

5 stars While Journey of The Shaman a most certainly had a flair for the dramatic, slightly melancholic aspects of music, Ritual is in many ways like it, yet fundamentally different. The bulk of the material isn't as in-your-face as I experienced the predecessor to be, perhaps due to the fact that it ... (read more)

Report this review (#1165013) | Posted by indiscipline | Friday, April 25, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I continue to explore the resent days of prog and go to the Turkish band "Nimrud"s second album "Ritual" from this year 2013. I have earlier been prejudiced to space rock. Prejudicies are often good to have but here I was wrong. There was nothing of long and meaningless soundscapes with no oth ... (read more)

Report this review (#1047368) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Sunday, September 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I have to agree that while this is beautiful music, it is quite simple. There are no fiery solos, no complicated time signatures, and very few shifts in dynamics. Actually, some of the recording harkens back to the 70s in that there are subtle "flaws" or "mistakes" caught in the analog tapes t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020396) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Sunday, August 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of a handful of classic prog rock to be recorded in these days. Incredible prog.rock album harking back to the glory days of the genre. If you like Pink Floyd, Eloy, Camel and similar bands you are going to be suprised by how good this is, extremely melodic and beautiful, amazing dynamics an ... (read more)

Report this review (#1017314) | Posted by bufftitanium | Tuesday, August 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here it is... My first review is coming for "Ritual"... In my opinion, the more solid album from Nemrud. Undoubetly JOTS contains some of the Nemrud's classics but, in general, I think Ritual works better as a whole and, Nemrud, a prog-rock band from Istanbul, builds its own "music suits with con ... (read more)

Report this review (#1004053) | Posted by Octane | Tuesday, July 23, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Another "Love or Hate" album from Turkey...I read all the reviews regarding this album. Most of'em are very pleased what they are hear but lots of 1-2 stars on the rating section too...Again, you can't judge people's oppinion. Here is mine :) The theme of this record is ritual in the dream.This ... (read more)

Report this review (#998608) | Posted by peyotes | Monday, July 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the best albums to ever come out in these days from Turkey. "Ritual" has a very good balance between Symphonic and pyschedelic progressive rock. Every track is simply perfect; finely crafted and feature lots of outstanding instrumental moments and vocal deliveries-- Gocay and To ... (read more)

Report this review (#993497) | Posted by courtzz | Monday, July 08, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Nemrud's second studio album is brilliant, and the best they have ever done. After the concept album Journey of the Shaman, the band decided to do something more in line with what they had done previously as can be noticed by the use of spacey synths. There isn't a weak moment on this offering, a ... (read more)

Report this review (#988753) | Posted by cavallo | Saturday, June 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars For me this is the first turning point in the career of Nemrud. Before this album, the debut was mainly a mix of psychedelic and rock, now it is a step forward towards the solid progressive rock scene. The overall mood on this album is relaxed and very atmospheric, but it can as said earlier on, fro ... (read more)

Report this review (#987801) | Posted by Raskol | Friday, June 28, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Nemrud's Ritual appears to be the defining "moment" of this band's career. After debut album of some exceptional material and some mixed results, they pulled it all together on this very good composed four-song concept album about the schizoid person who tries to face himself in the dreams. ... (read more)

Report this review (#987169) | Posted by Wasabian | Thursday, June 27, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My Ritual begins! After the low-key, psych-tinged symphonic prog of their debut Journey of the Shaman would make a triumphant and spectacular return with this highly-regarded follow-up. 'Ritual' is, without a doubt, the group's crowning glory, featuring complex instrumentation, darker themes an ... (read more)

Report this review (#978185) | Posted by hhesse86 | Saturday, June 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What a come back... After the interesting debut of Journey of the Shaman, Nemrud followed up with the amazing new concept album Ritual. After these years Nemrud founds there own face and sound which will stay in history of progrock music for years as classic Nemrud sound. This album is first ... (read more)

Report this review (#966734) | Posted by antonyus | Thursday, May 30, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NEMRUD "Ritual"