BEN

Ben

Ben Ben album cover

Buy BEN Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

A1. The Influence (10:08)
A2. Gibbon (9:30)
B1. Christmas Execution (7:20)
B2. Gismo (11:49)

- Peter Davey / saxophones, flute, clarinet)
- Alex Macleery / electric piano, harpsichord, Moog synthesizer
- Gerry Reid / electric and acoustic guitars
- Len Surtees / bass
- David Sheen / drums, congas, percussion, vocals

LP Vertigo

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

Buy BEN Ben Music

MICHAEL JACKSON: 20th Century Masters[BEST] BEN,GOT TO BE THERE,ROCKIN'ROBIN++ USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Ben Sidran- Live at Montreux- used 8 Track tape- w/slipcase- great shape USD $8.00 Buy It Now
S447 MAMLOCK VIOLIN LAUGS PIANO ISRAEL MUSIC BLOCH CHAJES ACHRON ENGEL BEN HAIM USD $18.00 Buy It Now
BEN BEDFORD - THE PILOT AND THE FLYING MACHINE NEW CD USD $15.06 Buy It Now
BEN WEBSTER - SEE YOU AT THE FAIR NEW CD USD $21.49 Buy It Now
GRANT GREEN - Iron City ~MUSE 5120 {nm} Recorded: 1967 w/Ben Dixon USD $45.00 Buy It Now
Listen - BEN SHAW - Celebrate 2002 Deep House 12" Fire USD $3.35 [0 bids]
20s
Listen - BEN ONONO -Badagry Beach 2002 Progressive House 12" Promo Rui Da Silva USD $2.68 [0 bids]
21s
Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic: The LP - Ben Folds CD UCVG The Fast Free USD $5.39 Buy It Now 7m 22s
HLK9517UK 7" 45RPM 1962 BEN E. KING "ECSTASY" EX/VG USD $9.37 Buy It Now 8m 48s
Caetano Veloso & Jorge Ben ?- Charles Anjo 45 BRAZIL MONO 7" 1969 Tropicalia USD $49.99 Buy It Now 24m 30s
Ben Howard RARE PROMO CD ALBUM I Forget Where We Were USD $17.42 Buy It Now 29m 57s
Ben Lee - Deeper Into Dream (NEW CD) USD $15.07 Buy It Now 32m 48s
Ben E King / Quincy Jones - Legendary Performance Series 2 x Cd Fatbox USD $6.56 Buy It Now 33m 56s
Ben E King - Japanese Import - Don't Play that song! (With Obi Strip) USD $13.41 Buy It Now 34m 38s
Ben Kweller - On My Way - RARE IMPORT MINT Promo CD + Bonus Track / Ethan Johns USD $3.99 Buy It Now 35m 27s
Ben Sidran On The Cool Side Promo Single 12" 33? RPM Record Magenta MA-17361 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 38m
BEN LIEBRAND REMIX - 12 INCH - THE EVE OF THE WAR USD $26.80 Buy It Now 38m 42s
Ben Kweller - (2006) mint cd USD $4.68 Buy It Now 41m 18s
JORGE BEN - Criola 7" 45 BRAZIL MONO 1969 briamonte azimuth SOUL BOSSA ====NO lp USD $30.00 [0 bids]
45m 22s
NDR RADIOPHILHARMONIE/YINON-BEN-HAIM:SYMPHONY NO 2 CD NEW USD $16.34 Buy It Now 45m 45s
BEN WEBSTER ~ THE WARM MOODS ~ 1961 UK MONO 1ST PRESS JAZZ VINYL LP ~ NICE AUDIO USD $134.05 Buy It Now 45m 50s
ben & the platano group paris soul USD $24.99 Buy It Now 46m 33s
BEN COLDER Easy Loving No. 2 / Sing A Drinkin Song (Comedy Novelty) USD $3.75 Buy It Now 47m 15s
Ben Harper And The Innocent...-Burn to Shine (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $6.44 Buy It Now 49m 13s
Ben Nichols - The Last Pale Light In The West - Original CD USD $12.00 Buy It Now 52m 7s
Ben Cohen With Brian White's Magna Jazz Band - Remembering Ben Cohen (NEW CD) USD $16.74 Buy It Now 53m 57s
Ben Harper - Diamonds On The Inside - MUSIC CD USD $3.55 Buy It Now 58m 18s
Fifty Years:artistry of Tony Ben - Tony Bennett Compact Disc Free Shipping! USD $52.21 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Ben Zimet - Chants Yiddish - RARE 1974 LP EX/EX / Cantorial Klezmer Jewish USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Jorge Ben Caetano Veloso Elis Regina Toquinho & Vinicius RARE 1975 Brazil Bossa USD $25.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
BEN SIDRAM Old Songs For The New Depression 4228461324 Cassette Tape USD $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 8m
GIUSEPPE DE LUCA SICILIANA, CARO MIO BEN & BELLA FANCIULLA DECCA DV 90003 USD $6.69 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Arnold, Ben : Almost Speechless CD USD $4.60 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Ben Webster [Membran] by Ben Webster (CD, Mar-2004, Cja) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Vintage vinyl classical 3 record set - Ben Light, The Statlers (R37) USD $4.87 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Boyzone - Ballads (The Love Songs) CD*NO MATTER WHAT*WORDS*BEN**DISC ONLY** USD $1.73 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Craig Davies - Like Narcissus - 1988 "Rough Trade" LP Danny Thompson / Ben Watt USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Northern Soul 45 * BEN ZINE ** Village Of Tears ** PARKWAY REISSUE ** USD $13.41 [0 bids]
BEN E. KING CD - VERY BEST OF BEN E. KING (2009) - NEW UNOPENED - R USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Momus + Ben Butler and Mouse Pad - Glasgow june 2012 tour concert gig poster USD $9.36 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Ben Ottewell - Rattlebag NEW & SEALED CD A1004 USD $9.78 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five CD 1995 NEW & SEALED CD A3546 USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 31m
King, Ben Tavera : Coyote Moon CD USD $3.48 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Big Ben 45 Baby, Now That I've Found You / Would Be Better Gone - Enterprise VG+ USD $2.40 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Ben Harper-Get Up! CD NEW USD $20.63 Buy It Now 1h 41m
David Starr-David Starr & Ben Harris CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Ben Thomas-Said and Done CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Ben I Sabbah-Steps in Dub CD NEW USD $32.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Ben Potter-Flyin` Fast CD NEW USD $18.70 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Ben Folds Five-The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind VINYL LP NEW USD $33.70 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Percy Sledge and Ben E. King-The Very Best of Percy Sledge and Ben E. Kin CD NEW USD $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Danny Ben Israel Kathmandu Sessions 1960's Israel Psych Bullshit BLACK Vinyl LP USD $29.90 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Ben Hur [CD] USD $10.98 Buy It Now 1h 43m
45rpm 7" TRAD PARTY NO.1 & 2 big ben trad band + sleeve USD $6.70 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Danny Ben Israel Kathmandu Sessions 1960's Israel Psych Bullshit RED Vinyl LP USD $34.90 Buy It Now 1h 46m
BEN E. KING AMOR, AMOR 1961 EX COPY USD $6.69 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Harper,Ben : Diamonds on The Inside CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Ben Folds Live CD USD $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Ben Neill : Goldbug CD USD $5.47 Buy It Now 2h
UKDJ Breather Come On Euphony & Ben Kaye Remix Tidy Vinyl Record USD $9.37 Buy It Now 2h
Ben & Jason : Ten Songs About You CD USD $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 4m
45 Ben E. King "Spanish Harlem" 1961 R&B Atco 6185 VG++ USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Ben Lee - Grandpaw Would TOCP-8784 JAPAN CD OBI U -581 USD $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Ben Folds Five : Naked Baby Photos CD (1998) USD $7.41 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Ben Tavera King, Alice GomezSan Quilmas : Circles Into Squares - Relaxing USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Webster,Ben Edison,Harry Sweets Ben & Sweet (Bonus Track) 180g vinyl NEW sealed USD $36.28 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Ben Kyle 2012 by Ben Kyle EXLIBRARY USD $5.07 Buy It Now 2h 12m
John & Bob Wills-Faded Love / Ben Peters-Texas Tea-1980-45rpm-NM USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs ESCA-8352 JAPAN CD OBI U -548 USD $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen ESCA-6642 JAPAN CD OBI U -535 USD $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Ben Salter - The Stars My Destination 0602547164230 EU CD A-1076 USD $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Rare Bonanza BEN CARTWRIGHT Lorne Greene CHEVROLET PROMO RECORD 33 RPM ~ 1960s USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson Remaster Verve Master Edition USD $3.00 [0 bids]
Geoff Barrow & Ben Salisbury-Drokk: Music Inspired By Mega-C (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $14.22 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Ben Frost-V A R I A N T (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $9.56 Buy It Now 2h 32m
ERASMO CARLOS CONVIDA./COSTA, BETHANI, VELOSO, BEN./ , LP, FRANCE USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Ben Elton - The Man From Auntie 2 - Ben Elton CD NBVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $44.49 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Ben Tavera King : Celtic Strings & Wings CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Various Artists : Ben & Jerrys: One World One Heart 1 CD (1995) USD $4.93 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Unknown Artist : Pieces, Threaded: Piano Music of Ben Lee CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Ben Webster ?- See You At The Fair (1964) IMPULSE! JAPAN MINI LP CD Hank Jones USD $53.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Ben Glover - Do We Burn The Boats? [CD] USD $12.21 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Ben E King - 3 Original Albums [CD] USD $12.39 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Ben Reynolds - How Day Earnt Its Night (2009) NEW CD QUALITY CHECKED USD $7.36 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Glover, Ben : 26 Letters CD USD $3.49 Buy It Now 2h 47m
BEN WEBSTER Saturday Night At The Montmartre LP UK Stereo 1975 EX !! USD $16.09 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Unknown Artist : Ben Bonham and His Amazing One-man Band CD USD $4.13 Buy It Now 2h 49m
BEN E. KING - Vintage 45 rpm - Hermit of Misty Mountain/Don't Play That Song USD $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Blanchard, Ben : Barely Fly CD USD $4.66 Buy It Now 2h 52m
45 Michael Jackson "Ben" 1972 R&B Motown 1207 VG++ USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 57m
BEN SIDRAN Don't Let Go LP USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Interactive CD-Rom;Maclachlan;Ben Folds : Launch 14: Mclachlan, Sarah CD Rom USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Ben Kingsley*, Volpone or The Fox - Ben Jonson* National Theatre 7" 1977 Single USD $26.81 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Rock Roll Jukebox Hits CD Classic 50s BEN E KING SAM DAVE PAUL REVERE RAIDERS USD $11.67 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Ben E. King - Stand By Me - The Platinum Collection CD USD $8.03 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Ben Lee : Ripe CD (2009) USD $4.14 Buy It Now 3h 15m
10" BEN-SEDIRA LEILA 78rpm Opera VSM SK-101 Canzonetta(Rasquini)/Aria(Caldara) USD $29.98 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Iron And Wine & Bridwell,Ben - Sing Into My Mouth (Vinyl) [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $23.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Aquarian Son 2010 by Ben Fuller USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m

More places to buy BEN music online Buy BEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BEN Ben ratings distribution

BEN Ben reviews

Review by GruvanDahlman
3 stars Oddly enough, or maybe not, this album has stuck with me over many a year. I bought it about 15 years (or so) ago simply because I found that Repertoire Records had released it. By then I was obsessed with a couple of catalogues displaying albums re-released på Repertoire. So, I bought it. I wouldn't say I regret it. Certainly not. On the other hand it proved to be less of an exciting listen than I had expected.

The music is all instrumental jazz-rock. The musicianship is nothing but excellent, yet the music tends to pass me by somewhat. I dig it when I listen but when it is all over there is actually not much sticking. The best track is the firts one, "The influence". This track has this absolutely amazing passage which I cannot describe in musically technical terms. Anyway, you have to listen to it to kniw what. I mean. The remaining tracks are enjoyable and very well played but, as already stated, fails to make a lasting impression. I cannot hum much of it.

Musically it bears resemblence to other bands in the genre. There are bits of everything here, actually. I fins that there are pieces of Graham Bond around 1970-71, Centipede (the melodious parts) and others. I would not say that I am able to find traces of the more popular bands of the genre like Chicago or Blood, Sweat & Tears. This is slightly less oriented towards that kind of jazz-rock. Though not overly complex (on the border of free-form territory that is) it still holds enough complexity to please anyone into this kind of music.

I like this album. It is enjoyable to listen to and holds somewhat of a mystical air to it. Being an obscure album i think that it has hold up well nevertheless. Some obscure albums tend to be less than potent but this is quite powerful music in it's own right. I would not however rate it higher than three stars. It is good but not great. It is simply for those already into the genre and in need for some of that obscure mystery an album like this provides. Good but non essential.

Review by apps79
3 stars One of the really serious Vertigo rarities, a British Jazz Rock group with a short life but some fine talent.Ben were saxophonist/flutist Peter Davey, keyboardist/pianist Alex Macleery, guitarist Gerry Reid, bassist Len Surtees and drummer David Sheen, the later coming from Graham Bond's band.Their only self-titled album, which contains four long, instrumental tracks, was released in 1971.

This one falls into the same category as NUCLEUS and IF, it's technically competent Jazz Rock with some great solos and rhythms, varied climates, going from furious guitar moves and frequent instrumental interactions to a smoother keyboard/piano-driven music with a bit of a psychedelic enviroment, like RAY MANZAREK playing the piano.Cool sax work and some strong flute lines are always welcome, I fail to detect any impressive differences between the pieces, but if you ask me ''Christmas execution'' stands out from the bunch, because, unlike the other pieces, the atmosphere here is really dark and dramatic, rarely found in a Jazz Rock composition.It's also the most progressive piece in here with soft electric guitars, harsichord and lots of flute and an excellent second part with an incredible jazzy taste on guitars and eerie keyboard work.''Gibbon'' contains also some sporadic choirs, another element you'll hardly find in a Jazz Rock album, while the two longer pieces ''The influence'' and ''Gismo'', are definitely a lot more jazzier with good instrumental work, some parts with the guitars and sax in the forefront recall VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR's jazzy masturbations, but there are very limited progressive values in these with emphasis given to isolated solos.

Len Surtees played with the post-80's edition of The Nashville Teens, while David Sheen was later involved in various Jazz Rock and Fusion groups, including Mirage and the Canterbury-linked Soft Head.

Good Jazz Rock from the fogotten years, containing two very good compositions with a few proggy glimpses and another pair of more standard Jazz workouts.Warmly recommended, original vinyl is incredibly expensive, various reissues exist.

3 stars 3.5 Really. I toyed with a 4.0 ratiing but to be honest, I'd be arrogant if I actually believed others would buy this album because I gave it a 4.0 instead of a 3.5, etc... Ratings just a frame of reference. Number rating aside, this is a very interesting and long time coming review (as ... (read more)

Report this review (#1021057) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BEN "Ben"