BEN

Ben

Ben Ben album cover

Buy BEN Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

A1. The Influence (10:08)
A2. Gibbon (9:30)
B1. Christmas Execution (7:20)
B2. Gismo (11:49)

Search BEN Ben lyrics

Search BEN Ben tabs

- Peter Davey / saxophones, flute, clarinet)
- Alex Macleery / electric piano, harpsichord, Moog synthesizer
- Gerry Reid / electric and acoustic guitars
- Len Surtees / bass
- David Sheen / drums, congas, percussion, vocals

LP Vertigo

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

BEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BEN Ben Music

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama - There Will Be A Light [CD] USD $9.66 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BEN POLLACK With BENNY GOODMAN GLENN MILLER Mono 10" RCA LX 3003 VG+/VG USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Ben E. King ?- The Ultimate Collection: Stand By Me (CD, 1987) Funk Soul USD $7.21 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Ben Taylor - Listenging [Import] (CD Used Like New) USD $10.98 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Old Thoughts for a New Day 2006 by Adams,Ben Quintet USD $5.51 Buy It Now 2h 41m
1965 FUNK/SOUL Ben E. King - Seven Letters / River Of Tears 7" 45 USD $5.23 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Eric Ben t, Eric Bent, Eric Benet - True to Myself [New CD] USD $8.87 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Red Hot Chili Peppers Higher Ground - Ben G... CD single (CD5 / 5") NET promo USD $24.21 Buy It Now 2h 56m
BEN AIKEN NORTHERN SOUL You Were Meant To Be My Baby LOMA 45-2069 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
BEN HARPER & THE INNOCENT CRIMINALS - LIFELINE - SIGNED / AUTOGRAPHED 2xCD ALBUM USD $111.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner by Ben Folds Five (CD, Apr-1999, USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
NICK HORNBY/BEN FOLDS - LONELY AVENUE [7/28] NEW CD USD $11.32 Buy It Now 3h 6m
BEN WEBSTER No Fool No Fun 1978 VG++ import LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Ben Ventura & The New York Jazz Vinyl Record-CP Records-Bayonne NJ-CP1147 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Don't Play That Song [180 gm vinyl], Ben E.King CD | 8718469539277 | New USD $41.36 Buy It Now 3h 16m
THE BIG BEN BANJO BAND - I.O.U. POLKA - 10" DEMO 78 RPM RECORD - RARE - VGC USD $6.90 [0 bids]
BEN KWELLER On My Way 82876-60930-2 CD JAPAN 2004 OBI USD $31.07 Buy It Now 3h 26m
No Golden Crown,Artist - Dunnett, Ben & Hannah, in Good condition Import USD $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 27m
BEN HARPER Welcome To The Cruel World VJCP-3370 CD JAPAN 1998 OBI USD $32.74 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Ben Kaye vs Deeprose & Thompson ?- I'm Your DJ Tidy Two ?Records Tidytwo127 ! USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Dolce mio ben (2009) USD $11.32 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Ben E. King - First Taste of Love ( & the Drifters 1958-60, 2011) USD $10.58 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Heart of Rock'n'Roll 1961 CD Time-Life 20trx Dee Clark Ben E. King Carla Thomas USD $3.83 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Howard Skempton - : Ben Somewhen - Choral & Chamber Music (2007) USD $14.25 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Ben Foskett - : Dinosaur (2014) USD $14.25 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Jonathan Cole: Testament; Ben Foskett: Violin Concerto; Luke Bedford: Or Voit... USD $9.71 Buy It Now 3h 35m
*VERY RARE ALBERT SCHWEITZER Bach Organ 3 LP VINTAGE Vinyl Record BEN SHAHN ART USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Don't Play That Song - King,Ben E. LP USD $28.89 Buy It Now 3h 35m
BEN & JASON HOW THE HELL DO I EXPLAIN? CD SINGLE 4E USD $6.07 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Oscar Peterson, Ben Webster & Oscar Peterson - Meets Oscar Peterson [New Vinyl] USD $15.51 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Ben Abraham - Sirens [New & Sealed] CD USD $9.67 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Breathing Tornados by Ben Lee (CD, Mar-1999, Capitol/EMI) New Sealed SS Unopen USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Ben E. King : Stand By Me - The Ben E. King Collection CD (NEW NOT SEALED) USD $6.57 Buy It Now 3h 48m
What Is Soul? - Ben E. King (CD Used Very Good) USD $4.92 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Average White Band & Ben E. King Benny & Us Near Mint 1977 USD $6.27 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Speech Communication - Ben Goldberg (CD Used Like New) USD $13.13 Buy It Now 3h 50m
King,Ben E Marvellos Gettin To Me I Need You (Uk) 7in NEW sealed USD $28.71 Buy It Now 3h 52m
JORGE BEN TROPICAL LP French 1976 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Ben Folds Featuring Regina Spektor You Don't Know Me COLUMBIA Promo UK CD Single USD $15.04 [0 bids]
Ben Moore Purified LP 1982 Priority Records USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Big Ben Banjo Band - Banjo's Back in Town (2009) USD $10.98 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Ben Taylor-Lady Magic Ep CD EP, Single New USD $10.04 Buy It Now 3h 59m
miri ben ari the hip hop violinist rare single lp not for sale 45 rpm universal USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, Excellent USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
(E92) Ben Glover, Things Haven't Started Happ...- DJ CD USD $2.75 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Webster, Ben : Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson CD USD $10.43 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Faded Ben Harper CD single (CD5 / 5") USA promo DPRO12285 VIRGIN 1997 USD $17.29 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Burn To Shine Ben Harper USA CD album (CDLP) promo DPRO14356 VIRGIN 1999 USD $18.39 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Ben & Jason Ten Dates UK CD album (CDLP) promo TEN4 GO BEAT 2001 USD $17.29 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Ben E. King - Best of [Pegasus] (1999) USD $4.14 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Been Webster Meets Oscar Peterson - Ben & Oscar Peterson Webst (2010, Vinyl New) USD $17.40 Buy It Now 4h 25m
BEN & JASON AIR GUITAR ENHANCED CD SINGLE 5G USD $6.90 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Ben E. King - Audio Biography: Interview (P) (of The Drifters) (Mandala 3008) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
The Speer Family Garden of Melody LP Sherrill Nielson Mom Dad Brock Ben Fay Ann USD $19.88 Buy It Now 4h 34m
78rpm 12" BEN WILLIAMS new moon : softly as in a morning sunrise / marianne 9753 USD $34.59 Buy It Now 4h 35m
New Sealed Ben Utecht Music CD Compact Disk Broken Case USD $0.99 [0 bids]
BEN COLDER PACKET OF PENCILS ALMOST PERSUADED MGM SPECIAL DISC JOCKEY K13590 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
BEN FLEURY-STEINER - 'Keep A Weather Eye Open' CD INFRACTION USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 39m
VINTAGE "BEN E. KING" LP'S (LOT OF 2) *LET ME LIVE IN YOUR LIFE USD $1.00 [0 bids]
Ben Webster with the Mike Renzi Trio by Ben Webster (CD, Jul-2004, Lonehill Jazz USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Ben & Sweets by Harry "Sweets" Edison (Trumpet)/Ben Webster (CD, Oct-1990, Colum USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 41m
16" Radio Transcription Record William Esty Advertising, Ben Gay Silk 'n Satin USD $29.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective [PA] by Ben Folds (CD, Oct-2011, E USD $7.95 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Benny Carter- Jazz Giant- Contemporary Mono 58 DG NM TOP COPY- Ben Webster- USD $100.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
BEN HARPER FOUR SONGS PROMO EP CD SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED BY ENTIRE BAND RARE USD $150.00 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Capitol 10" 78/Ben Light/Waiting For..Robert E.Lee/My Baby Said She's Mine/E/+! USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Ben Folds **PROMO CD LOT** Don't Change Your Plans -- Silverman USD $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Ben Parcell - Humble Beginnings Audio Cd Album - Sea Records NEW USD $6.90 Buy It Now 5h 5m
BEN HARPER - DIAMONDS ON THE INSIDE 2 VINYL LP 14 TRACKS CITY BLUES ROCK NEW+ USD $35.39 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen Vinyl LP Black 180 Gram New Sealed USD $26.33 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Ben Haenow - CD USD $13.03 Buy It Now 5h 7m
LEGRAND JAZZ LP. RARE UK 1959 BBL 7328 Miles Davis John Coltrane Ben Webster USD $44.20 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Sidewalk Prophets These Simple Truths CD K-LOVE Prize Dave Frey Ben Justin Cal USD $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
BEN WASSON- "ORLANDO" "SINGLE" USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Ben Elton ?- Live 1989 (REF BOX C54) USD $12.75 Buy It Now 5h 16m
BEN HARPER Sexual healing w/ RARE EDIT LIVE PROMO DJ CD Single MARVIN GAYE TRK USD $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 19m
BEN HARPER Give Till Its Gone ORIG VIRGIN US LP 2011 NEW SEALED USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
BEN HARPER Both Sides of the Gun ORIG Audiophile VIRGIN 2x 180g LP NEW SEALED USD $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
BIG BEN BANJO BAND "COUNTRY BANJO PARTY" POLYDOR UK LP 1970 USD $8.29 [0 bids]
Ben McCray Jr. RARE DJ Only Disco Boogie 12" Single USD $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Ben Harper, Charlie - Both Sides of the Gun [New CD] Digipack Packagi 2 cd USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
We Will Rock You Original London Cast Recording (CD) Queen & Ben Elton USD $6.90 Buy It Now 5h 32m
POLLACK, BEN-The Ben Pollack Collection 1923-1950 (2CD) CD NEW USD $11.54 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Ben Lee, Hey You. Yes You., Excellent USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Ben E. King ?- Supernatural LP 1975 1st UK press on Atlantic Records USD $4.08 [0 bids]
MARTI WEBB BEN / NOTHING EVER CHANGES 7 INCH VINYL RECORD USD $2.77 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Diamonds On The Inside by Ben Harper USD $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Ripe by Ben Lee (CD, Sep-2007, New West (Record Label)) USD $2.83 Buy It Now 5h 45m
BEN KWELLER Sha Sha ULTRA RARE TST PRESS ADVNCE PROMO DJ CD 2001 MINT shasha USD $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Ben Fleury - Steiner : Clearings (Hibernate CD) USD $13.83 [0 bids]
"PROMO".SCOTTY REED.OLD BEN.U.S.ORIG 7".EX USD $9.34 Buy It Now 5h 52m
BEN HARPER Shimmer and Shine PROMO RADIO DJ CD Single USD $14.09 Buy It Now 5h 53m
WYE MTN BOYS: All The Good Times LP (tiny tear on bottom seam, small corner ben USD $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Ben Howard: Every Kingdom very good condition CD Only Love USD $5.52 Buy It Now 5h 56m
BEN HUR - VINYL RECORD LP -Mono - Rare - 1st Press - VGC USD $16.59 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Ben Beany dj 45 THEME FROM "ROCKY" (GONNA FLY NOW) mono/ stereo - Playboy M- USD $4.10 Buy It Now 5h 56m
2003 Irish Promo CD- Soul Music (Franklin,Drifters,Ben E King,Wells ++ Unplayed USD $1.52 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Ben E. King : Stand By Me CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 6m
This Is the Movie,Artist - Reel, Ben Band, in Good condition Import USD $28.30 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Lot of 2 Ben Folds Five Cd's CD only's Rockin The Suburbs Reinhold Messer USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m

More places to buy BEN music online Buy BEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BEN Ben ratings distribution

BEN Ben reviews

Review by GruvanDahlman
3 stars Oddly enough, or maybe not, this album has stuck with me over many a year. I bought it about 15 years (or so) ago simply because I found that Repertoire Records had released it. By then I was obsessed with a couple of catalogues displaying albums re-released på Repertoire. So, I bought it. I wouldn't say I regret it. Certainly not. On the other hand it proved to be less of an exciting listen than I had expected.

The music is all instrumental jazz-rock. The musicianship is nothing but excellent, yet the music tends to pass me by somewhat. I dig it when I listen but when it is all over there is actually not much sticking. The best track is the firts one, "The influence". This track has this absolutely amazing passage which I cannot describe in musically technical terms. Anyway, you have to listen to it to kniw what. I mean. The remaining tracks are enjoyable and very well played but, as already stated, fails to make a lasting impression. I cannot hum much of it.

Musically it bears resemblence to other bands in the genre. There are bits of everything here, actually. I fins that there are pieces of Graham Bond around 1970-71, Centipede (the melodious parts) and others. I would not say that I am able to find traces of the more popular bands of the genre like Chicago or Blood, Sweat & Tears. This is slightly less oriented towards that kind of jazz-rock. Though not overly complex (on the border of free-form territory that is) it still holds enough complexity to please anyone into this kind of music.

I like this album. It is enjoyable to listen to and holds somewhat of a mystical air to it. Being an obscure album i think that it has hold up well nevertheless. Some obscure albums tend to be less than potent but this is quite powerful music in it's own right. I would not however rate it higher than three stars. It is good but not great. It is simply for those already into the genre and in need for some of that obscure mystery an album like this provides. Good but non essential.

Review by apps79
3 stars One of the really serious Vertigo rarities, a British Jazz Rock group with a short life but some fine talent.Ben were saxophonist/flutist Peter Davey, keyboardist/pianist Alex Macleery, guitarist Gerry Reid, bassist Len Surtees and drummer David Sheen, the later coming from Graham Bond's band.Their only self-titled album, which contains four long, instrumental tracks, was released in 1971.

This one falls into the same category as NUCLEUS and IF, it's technically competent Jazz Rock with some great solos and rhythms, varied climates, going from furious guitar moves and frequent instrumental interactions to a smoother keyboard/piano-driven music with a bit of a psychedelic enviroment, like RAY MANZAREK playing the piano.Cool sax work and some strong flute lines are always welcome, I fail to detect any impressive differences between the pieces, but if you ask me ''Christmas execution'' stands out from the bunch, because, unlike the other pieces, the atmosphere here is really dark and dramatic, rarely found in a Jazz Rock composition.It's also the most progressive piece in here with soft electric guitars, harsichord and lots of flute and an excellent second part with an incredible jazzy taste on guitars and eerie keyboard work.''Gibbon'' contains also some sporadic choirs, another element you'll hardly find in a Jazz Rock album, while the two longer pieces ''The influence'' and ''Gismo'', are definitely a lot more jazzier with good instrumental work, some parts with the guitars and sax in the forefront recall VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR's jazzy masturbations, but there are very limited progressive values in these with emphasis given to isolated solos.

Len Surtees played with the post-80's edition of The Nashville Teens, while David Sheen was later involved in various Jazz Rock and Fusion groups, including Mirage and the Canterbury-linked Soft Head.

Good Jazz Rock from the fogotten years, containing two very good compositions with a few proggy glimpses and another pair of more standard Jazz workouts.Warmly recommended, original vinyl is incredibly expensive, various reissues exist.

3 stars 3.5 Really. I toyed with a 4.0 ratiing but to be honest, I'd be arrogant if I actually believed others would buy this album because I gave it a 4.0 instead of a 3.5, etc... Ratings just a frame of reference. Number rating aside, this is a very interesting and long time coming review (as ... (read more)

Report this review (#1021057) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BEN "Ben"