WALRUS

- Leo Svensson / cello, minimoog
- Kristian Holmgren / bass
- Mattias Olsson / drums, percussion
- Henrik Olsson / drums, percussion

CD Electricity Recording ECD201 (2013)
LP Electricity Recording ELPS201 (2013)

Thanks to DamoXt7942 for the addition

WALRUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WALRUS Walrus Music

WalrusWalrus
Esoteric 2008
Fissure by Walrus (1997-02-26)Fissure by Walrus (1997-02-26)
Decibel Worship
BEATLES HELLO GOOD BY RECORD / I AM THE WALRUS USD $39.59 Buy It Now 8h 42m
The Plague, Iron Walrus USD $21.73 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Boris with Merzbow *walrus/groon* black vinyl lp sunn 0))) USD $7.99 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES . HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS . Excellent + vinyl single USD $12.17 [0 bids]
The Beatles-Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus-Capitol Records USD $2.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Old Soul's Eyes Walrus & The Carpenter CD USD $37.96 Buy It Now 23h 21m
CRACK THE SKY - "I Am The Walrus"/"Lighten Up McGraw" 1978 - 7" 1st US PROMO USD $14.88 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus USD $59.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles Hello, Goodbye b/w I am the Walrus French Odeon 023 660 Picture Cover USD $7.60 [0 bids]
Beatles 45 RPM Record I am the Walrus / Hello Goodbye / Lennon - Paul McCartney USD $0.99 [0 bids]
The Plague, 4260080811613, Iron Walrus USD $19.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles,Hello, Goodbye,(R 5655),b/w I Am The Walrus,Company Sleeve,7" USD $15.21 Buy It Now 1 day
SANDO For The Walrus: John Lennon Tribute PROMO 45 w/Lyric Sheet BEATLES USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES I Am The Walrus/Hello Goodbye RARE RED LABEL MONO CAPITOL 2056 VG+ USD $5.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES Hello, goodbye/I'm the Walrus Danish Press. Denmark Parlophone 5655 USD $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED WALRUS BAND SET FROM MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR GRAND USD $85.25 [0 bids]
Walrus - Deram SML 1072 UK LP Record 1970 Progressive Rock Jazz Funk USD $14.99 [1 bids]
HARRY DEAL & THE GALAXIES Walrus 1970 TWISTED BEATLES INSPIRED POP PSYCH 45 HEAR USD $24.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES (PIC SLEEVE ONLY) Hello, Goodbye/I Am The Walrus (1967) Capitol 2056 USD $28.00 [0 bids]
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 7" B/w See Emily Play USD $2.36 Buy It Now 2 days
Walrus - Now You Know CD USD $4.55 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS S/t CD 8 Track Inc Bonus EUROPEAN Esoteric 2008 USD $12.77 Buy It Now 2 days
KENICKIE Punka CD 4 Track Original Pic Disc B/w Drag Race, Walrus And Cowboy UK USD $7.14 Buy It Now 2 days
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus CD 3 Track UK Piglet 1 USD $3.96 Buy It Now 2 days
OASIS Cigarettes And Alcohol CD 4 Track B/w I Am The Walrus Live Glasgow C USD $7.60 Buy It Now 2 days
OASIS Cigarettes And Alcohol CD 4 Track B/w I Am The Walrus Live Glasgow Cathou USD $7.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus - 7" - 45RPM - Single - First Pressing USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
5 BEATLES 7" Original VINYL SINGLES-Walrus/Day Trip/Me to You/I Feel Fine plus 1 USD $15.21 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye b/w I Am The Walrus Danish 45PS 1967 Push-Out Centre USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 12" 2 Track Eggman USD $7.60 Buy It Now 2 days
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 12" 2 Track Eggman Mix USD $3.96 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles Capitol 2056 I am The Walrus and Hello Goodbye USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Framed The Beatles I Am The Walrus Poster Mounted In Black Frame (Poster A4size) USD $15.15 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS Janus 3051 LP US 1972 USD $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS FANTASY CAPITOL SLEEVE #1 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS FANTASY CAPITOL SLEEVE #2 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
45RPM The Beatles I'm the Walrus & 122EL USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Empathy for the Walrus: Music of the Bea Randy Jackson CD USD $21.82 Buy It Now 2 days
Lot of 5 vintage Beatles 45 rpm records Walrus Hold Your Hand Revolution - SCT USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Beatles (Songs Of Hope), 0819376061221, Ra. USD $17.48 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles...I Am Walrus/Hello Goodbye...original pressing. USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mike Fab Gere I Am The Walrus Cd Single USD $6.08 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles- Hello/Goodbye, I Am The Walrus- Original 45 MONO Picture Sleeve!!!! USD $2.25 [2 bids]
Beatles -Hello Goodbye/I am the Walrus -Capitol Canada 2056 MONO 45rpm Maclen USD $0.01 [0 bids]
The BEATLES - I Am the Walrus T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY USD $21.07 Buy It Now 3 days
Les Demerle "I Am The Walrus/The Raven" UA 50458 M- USD $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Walrus- walrus (CD) USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles, "The Alternate Magical Mystery Tour" Walrus 006/7 USD $19.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS PIC SLV USD $60.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM A WALRUS ORIGINAL CAPITOL MONO 45RPM RECORD NM- USD $54.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES: Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 45 (Netherlands w/ PS, centre intact USD $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
the beatles 7" single picture sleeve only-i am the walrus/hello goodbye-nice! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Bea - Randy Jackson (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.86 Buy It Now 3 days
The Plague Iron Walrus Audio CD USD $26.42 Buy It Now 3 days
HOMBRE - "FIRST SHOT" LP WALRUS PRIVATE PRESS JAZZ FUNK SHRINK NMINT VINYL USD $34.98 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles, Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 7" 45RPM single in picture sleeve USD $3.03 [0 bids]
45RPM The Beatles I'm the Walrus & 122EL USD $9.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye b/w I Am The Walrus Danish 45PS 1967 Solid Centre USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES 1967 I AM THE WALRUS & HELLO GOOD BYE CAPITOL 2056 45RPM VG++ EXCELLENT USD $27.96 Buy It Now 4 days
BUMPS: Ode To A Toad 2:45-Shining 2:45-U.S. 7" 69 Walrus Toad Music Co.TMC 001/2 USD $88.98 Buy It Now 4 days
VG+ TO BTR BEATLES' 45 RPM:" I AM THE WALRUS " / " HELLO .." CAPITOL # 2056 USD $1.00 [0 bids]
USD $2.00 Buy It Now
THE BEATLES "EX+" HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS DECCA CONTRACT ISSUE USD $26.92 Buy It Now 4 days
Hello Goodbye b/w I Am the Walrus - The Beatles 7" Reissue BRAND NEW! USD $5.99 [0 bids]
USD $30.00 Buy It Now
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye RARE CD3 MONO Single 1989 Capitol b/w I Am The Walrus USD $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The BEATLES 45 ORIG. MONO ORANGE CAPITOL label I am the Walrus MINT USD $32.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Beatles-Capital-2056-Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus USD $3.49 [0 bids]
Carl de Suze Elephant's Child Walrus and the Carpender Jabberwocky still sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES - HELLO, GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS - 7" 45rpm SINGLE (1967) USD $7.61 Buy It Now 5 days
PROG SOUL FUNK "WHO CAN I TRUST" WALRUS mint- on PROMO DREAM USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Empathy for the Walrus 0819376061221, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $20.86 Buy It Now 5 days
The BEATLES Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus 45 rpm USD $2.99 [1 bids]
Beatles - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus 7" single 1967 Capitol USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
WALRUS s/t Walrus JAPAN MINI-LP CD OBI SEALED +1 1970 USD $14.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus SEALED Longbox CD 3" CD Rare USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye & I Am The Walrus Rare Original 45 VeryCleanSleeve++++ USD $50.00 Buy It Now 5 days
EXC LP~WALRUS~Self Titled~{Original 1972~JANUS~Gatefold~WHITE LABEL PROMO~Issue] USD $24.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Barry White The Walrus Of Love 2 CD album (Double CD) Dutch WHITE213 USD $25.11 Buy It Now 6 days
Walrus I Believed 1980 Paradice Records Rare New Wave 7" USD $4.80 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus PURPLE CAPITOL LABEL 45 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $13.63 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $18.20 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $21.24 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $24.29 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $30.38 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS 1967 1ST PRESSING USD $0.76 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS 45 1967 1ST PRESSING USD $0.76 [1 bids]
Boris/Merzbow "Walrus" 12" Pelican Isis Torche vinyl LP USD $44.99 Buy It Now 6 days
PROG IMPORT, Spooky Tooth - I Am The Walrus, 7" 45RPM VG+ 1970, Island, French USD $4.99 [0 bids]
SANDO, For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) / same (promo) 45rpm USD $14.00 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES Magical Mystery Tour CD Classic 1967 Album I Am The Walrus USD $3.99 [0 bids]
3 Beatles 7" 45 Records Eleanor Rigby I am the Walrus Lady Madonna 1960s USD $7.54 [0 bids]
OASIS Cigarettes And Alcohol / I Am The Walrus RARE CREATION 12" TEST PRESSING USD $912.04 Buy It Now 6 days
Beatles SLEEVE 45, Hello Goodbye, I am the walrus USD $100.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES "HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS" 45 USD $6.75 Buy It Now 6 days
CRACK THE SKY ~ I Am the Walrus ~ scarce NM 1978 Lifesong WLP promo 12" USD $3.77 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 7" 45 - Parlophone / EMI - R 5655 USD $11.57 Buy It Now 6 days
45 Retro Psych SANDO - For the Walrus (JOHN LENNON Tribute) Murdered BEATLE USD $3.60 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles 45 Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus ~Capitol VG USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7 days
THE BEATLES - HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS 7" 45 VINYL UK 1ST PRESS ORIGINAL USD $12.17 Buy It Now 7 days
The Beatles 45 I Am The Walrus / Hello Goodbye 1967 Capitol 2057 Vinyl Record USD $4.74 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy WALRUS music online Buy WALRUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WALRUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WALRUS Walrus ratings distribution

WALRUS Walrus reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team
4 stars "Polar Kraut" Rock! Awesome new instrumental project from an ad hoc Swedish band that includes accomplished Swedish film music composer Matti Bye on the organ, two of his long-time associates in the world of soundtrack, cellist Leo Svensson and bassist Kristian Holmgren, and two drummers simultaneously playing the same drum kit (from opposite sides), Mattias Olsson (Anglagard, White Willow) and Henrik Olsson (Mattias' 17-year old son?).

Krautrock is alive and flourishing! Walrus gives us another wonderful testament to the revitalization of the Krautrock sub-genre of progressive rock, though this 33 1/2 minute offering is hardly an LP's worth of tunes. Bass, organ, synths, cello and two drummers are typical contributors to the music here.

1. 'Tromso' (7:14) is constructed very much in the vein of CAN with a steady, hypnotic bass and guitar beat, playful drumming and lots of incidentals'samples (radio & computer/electronic noises), percussives, cello, voices, Farfisa organ'and a humorous Monty Python-esque ending. (8/10)

2. 'Signals' (8:58) begins very slowly, heavily. The slow pattern of bass, background organ (and hiss) and seemingly random viola notes make for a very mysterious, ominous feel. The drums enter in the third minute and soon after a synthesizer, which turns into an organ, to 'liven' things up a bit for a minute or so. A bare bones section ensues for about a minute until everything hypes up into a fast pace (delightful!) while keyboards beep and swirl around in the mix for a while. At 6:50 the cymbol and bass play speed up but then move to a lower volume while things get stripped down to return to the slow-down, though more jazzy feel of the opening pace. A good song, with interesting experimentation in meter and sound level. (8/10)

3. 'Spitsbergen' (14:09) is the album's longest song. It starts with a very spacey synth and echo-plexed bass with creative percussion play for the first two minutes. At 3:37 the song shifts gears with a big chunky bass and full drum support kicking into a driving pace. They are joined by a modulated synth and arpeggiating organ and treated electrified cello. The constant building, climbing of scales and then dropping back to start over are highly engaging and always hopeful (for the listener seeking resolution). In the ninth minute things get stripped down to simplified levels'lots of staccato notes and spaciousness'with the occasional jarring interjection of a sustained low bass chord. At the 10:58 mark things pick back up again into the swirling, throbbing world from the earlier B Part. Almost ANEKDOTEN-like! (Especially with the presence of a mellotron.) The song winds down with the final 75 seconds being very slow and airy. (8/10)

4. 'Static' (3:06) is an austere bass and drum song peppered with synthesized and percussive sounds while an oriental-sounding echoed cello arpeggiates some odd oriental- sounding chords or scales. Kind of cool! (8/10)

Overall an engaging if brief journey into some quite cinematic songspaces.

4 Stars

Review by Second Life Syndrome
3 stars With a name like Walrus, you've got to be good. This instrumental band is indeed talented. However, I'm not sure about the inventive or originality parts. They play their instruments with ease and precision, but I've heard this all before somehow.

This music is labelled as psychedelic/space rock, but there is more heavy prog here, methinks. They almost get a djenty sound at times, and there is a ton of bass. Yet, they lack personality. If a band decides to be instrumental only, I feel they need to be able to express themselves eccentrically. There are such bands, such as Joseph Magazine or Hostsonaten, that can do this with ease. Walrus, on the other hand, sounds very cold and disconnected. So, this is a good album, but I feel they need to work on their collective personality in music. Sometimes, a little charm, such as in Colin Masson's instrumental work, can go a long way.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars Comprised of members of Anglagard and Gosta Berlings Saga, the impressive little debut album from Norway's `Walrus' is so far relatively flying under the radar from what I can tell. Let's try and change that! What inititally comes across as quite repetitive, monotonous and underwhelming soon proves to be a slowly brooding, hypnotic mix of Krautrock, spacerock, electronic atmospheres, heavier moments and uneasy ambience. Slab-like bass, wispy veils of Mellotron, Mini-moog and Hammond, cello and two different drummers create an intoxicating mood, and while occasionally the band does get stuck in the same pattern for what seems like minutes on end, this all works toward a very hallucinatory and disorientating effect on the listener, slowly wearing you down and dragging you into the mud.

Opener `Tromso' is a frantic hypnotic run, quickly reminding of the repetitive dirty grooves of Neu, Can and even Steven Wilson's Incredible Expanding Mindf*ck project. Starting with strangled cello and distorted, harsh metallic obtrusive random noise percussion, leaping thick bass punches down on the listener like a mallet to the head. Some swirling spacey swoops join in as the rhythm grows in intensity, the tempo picking up and kicking into overdrive behind some of the most scratchy serrated Hammond this side of Elephant9 before collapsing in on itself in the dying final seconds.

`Signals' has a creeping approaching bass line, stalking it's way through the filthiest of swamps to get to you, taking on the same eerie and unpleasant soundtrack vibe of Goblin and Morte Macabre. Droning ambient electronic pulses and haunting Hammond touch on early Porcupine Tree, even Wilson's Bass Communion project. We move through disorientating, hallucinatory psychedelia behind a machine-like hum before the piece explodes out of nowhere at the five minute mark and tears off into deep dark space! The bass gallops along to catch up, the drums turn manic and the keyboards glisten before the final minute disappears into a shimmering reprise of the stalking opening.

`Spitsbergen' is the crowning achievement of the LP, full of scuzzy tension and hard-edged distorted outbursts, book-ended with some deeply sinister and ghostly choral Mellotron and a `Careful With That Axe...'-style lurking bass line. The piece kicks back from the dead with some snarling electric guitar heavy riffs, Hammond full of mystery, and a weeping 'Tron finale worthy of Anekdoten. Much of this track places the percussion/drumming centre stage, so confident and filled with purpose. I don't think the track really needed the almost metal riff moments, as it's plenty heavy as it already is, but it's another piece that fans of Morte Macabre will really appreciate. The cold yet beautifully fragile closer `Static' ends the album in a darkly jazzy manner, with skittering drum-work and staccato deep bass notes over the loneliest of crying cello.

Walrus don't incorporate different sounds and genres so much as blur those lines instead, and the results, while no classic and often clearly showing it's influences, makes for a very promising and occasionally excellent dark instrumental debut. I have no doubt a follow-up will be even stronger as there's so much potential here, and I can't wait to see where the band goes to next. Fans who like the idea of a looser instrumental version of gloomy downbeat prog like Anekdoten, Morte Macabre and the darker corners of Kraut and space rock and will find much of interest here.

Three and a half stars.

4 stars These guys who are all Swedes apparently met in a bar in the far north of Norway in 2010 and decided to make an album together. They call their music "Polar Kraut" since this bar was on the Polar Sea and yes the style of music they play brings Krautrock to mind for sure. Leo Svensson who plays cello and mini-moog played with Mattias Olsson(ANGLAGARD) as guests on GOSTA BERLINGS SAGA's most recent album called "Glue Works" and those two along with the bassist here Kristian Holmgren played on the 2014 release by NECROMONKEY. Matti Bye a key part of this band plays mellotron and a variety of keyboards and he's released sountracks for movies over the years and he certainly leaves his mark on this recording.

So we get four tracks clocking in at a total of 33 1/2 minutes, just right. Up first is "Tromso III" which has this urgent sounding groove that is fairly intense. It does settle briefly before 5 minutes but then kicks in even harder after that. A catchy track overall. "Signals" is slow paced with atmosphere and it's quite dark as sounds come and go. Haunting female vocal melodies come in after 2 minutes and I love when the organ arrives after 3 1/2 minutes. Such a great sound right here. It does settle back but then we get some intensity 7 minutes in before it fades back and trips along.

"Spitsbergen" is the longest track at over 14 minutes. It's slow moving and minimalistic with those haunting female vocal melodies returning to this album once again. The song kicks in around 4 minutes as we get some nasty fuzzed out bass. The mellotron is gorgeous around 12 minutes in and I like the way themes are repeated on this tune. Such a trippy ride. "Static" opens with...well static. Liquid sounding keys, drums then cello join in on this 3 minute closer.

A solid 4 stars and a project that I hope continues in the future. This is dark, experimental and trippy, my kind of music.

Post a review of WALRUS "Walrus"