WALRUS

- Leo Svensson / cello, minimoog
- Kristian Holmgren / bass
- Mattias Olsson / drums, percussion
- Henrik Olsson / drums, percussion

CD Electricity Recording ECD201 (2013)
LP Electricity Recording ELPS201 (2013)

Thanks to DamoXt7942 for the addition

WALRUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WALRUS Walrus Music

WalrusWalrus
Esoteric 2008
Fissure by Walrus (1997-02-26)Fissure by Walrus (1997-02-26)
Decibel Worship
CAYUCAS Moony Eyed Walrus/Petals of the Last Flower 7" SECRETLY CANADIAN/Indie USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
WALRUS Walrus MINI LP CD USD $14.95 Buy It Now 15h 59m
EMPATHY FOR THE WALRUS:MUSIC/BEATLES BY JACKSON,RANDY (CD) USD $18.02 Buy It Now 20h
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye/I'm The Walrus SOUTH AFRICA Parlophone PICTURE SLEEVE USD $120.00 Buy It Now 23h 35m
THE BEATLES, HELLO, GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS, 1967 1ST PRESS 7" PARLOPHONE, VG+ USD $5.76 [0 bids]
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 7" B/w See Emily Play USD $2.24 Buy It Now 1 day
OASIS Cigarettes And Alcohol CD 4 Track B/w I Am The Walrus Live Glasgow Cathou USD $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus CD 3 Track UK Piglet 1 USD $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Walrus Lp 1972 Rare Rock w Bugs Pemberton USD $6.50 [0 bids]
BEATLES~HELLO GOODBYE~NEAR MINT~I AM THE WALRUS~CAPITOL 2056~ POP 45 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS S/t CD 7 Track Digitally Remastered GERMAN Black Rose 1999 USD $20.78 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS S/t CD 8 Track Inc Bonus EUROPEAN Esoteric 2008 USD $12.11 Buy It Now 1 day
SOLID SILVER SUMMERTIME / WALRUS MUSIC EXCELLENT ORIGINAL SINGLE FROM 1976 USD $1.44 Buy It Now 1 day
KENICKIE Punka CD 4 Track Original Pic Disc B/w Drag Race, Walrus And Cowboy UK USD $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 12" 2 Track Eggman Mix USD $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus-UK-VG USD $2.87 [0 bids]
The Beatles hello goodbye / I am the walrus .. USD $1.43 [1 bids]
Hombre 45 Judee's Song / Dead In The Water ~ Walrus VG Kalamazoo 80's rock USD $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED WALRUS BAND SET FROM MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR GRAND USD $80.84 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH-I AM THE WALRUS-JAPAN PROMO WHITE LABEL 7" USD $97.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH-I AM THE WALRUS-JAPAN 7" USD $97.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ROCK 45 WALRUS - Bakersfield Boogie Boy USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES_I Am The Walrus_Hello Goodbye__used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus The Beatles single Parlophone Lennon McCartney 67 USD $8.59 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles LP Magical Mystery Tour I Am The Walrus Strawberry Fields VG+ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RANDY JACKSON OF ZEBRA - EMPATHY FOR THE WALRUS -MUSIC OF THE BEATLES - LIKE NEW USD $6.99 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye /I Am The Walrus 45/PS Danish 1967 Parlophone R 5655 USD $27.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles Demo - Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus RARE!!! USD $578.93 [16 bids]
THE BEATLES i am de walrus / hello, goodbye PROMO 7" GUATEMALA VG USD $19.99 [1 bids]
BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS EAR20236 EP ws0739 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES, I AM THE WALRUS, HELLO GOODBYE, 45RPM, PARLOPHONE RECORDS, R5655 USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Beatles, Songs Of Hope CD (CD) USD $22.19 Buy It Now 2 days
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM WALRUS CAPITOL ORANGE LABEL HAS MONO 1976 LOS ANGELES USD $8.00 [1 bids]
45 rpm 7 inch record BEATLES TARGET Hello Goodbye & I Am the Walrus 2056 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
12" promo CRACK THE SKY I Am the Walrus long/short 1978 great Beatles cover NM USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS Self Titled LP 1972 US ORIG Janus JLS 3051 Gatefold Cover USD $9.99 [1 bids]
Randy Jackson - Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Bea [CD New] USD $12.21 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES - HELLO, GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD PIC SLV USD $10.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Mike Fab-Gere-I Am The Walrus/See Emily Play~Near Mint UK Rock 45+Picture Sleeve USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
WALRUS -WHO CAN I TRUST MOD DANCER 7" 45 PSYCH ROCK PROG DERAM KILLER LISTEN USD $36.09 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS FANTASY CAPITOL SLEEVE #2 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS FANTASY CAPITOL SLEEVE #1 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE / I AM A WALRUS usa apple 2056 MINT MINUS pop 7" single USD $57.75 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES "REEL MUSIC" CASSETTE 1982 HARD DAYS NIGHT I AM THE WALRUS USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED " WALRUS BAND " FROM MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR FAB! USD $93.83 Buy It Now 3 days
EXC LP~WALRUS~Self Titled~{Original 1972~JANUS~Gatefold~WHITE LABEL PROMO~Issue] USD $13.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Crack the Sky promo 45 rpm "I Am The Walrus" (Beatles cover) USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
OLIVER WALRUS ~ ME, MYSELF AND I! ~ RARE LP TIGER LILY SOUL FUNK Tax Scam USD $199.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Argent Walrus Gumboot Sidewinder Malvern Winter Gardens 26/1/75 Ticket USD $10.08 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS AR1838 EP ws3353 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS OR1838 EP ws3346 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
WALRUS SELF TITLED CD MINI LP OBI USD $13.85 Buy It Now 3 days
WALRUS SEALED PROG.ROCK LP-1972-JANUS LABEL-GATEFOLD COVER-OBSCURE "MUST HAVE" USD $9.99 [0 bids]
BORIS WITH MERZBOW Walrus LP WHITE/GREEN VINYL unplayed USD $46.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - HELLO, GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS - 7" 45rpm SINGLE (1967) USD $7.22 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Hello, Goodbye c/w I Am The Walrus OR/370 7" JAPAN 45 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles - Hello, Goodbye c/w I Am The Walrus OR/370 7" JAPAN RED VINYL 45 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES hello goodbye - i am a walrus 7"-VINYL 45rpm GERMANY IMPORT rarest 1967 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES 45 LOT CAPITOL 2056 5810 5327 5150 WALRUS PENNY STRAWBERRY WOMAN LOVE USD $18.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles "Hello Goodbye bw I Am The Walrus" Picture Disc USD $29.95 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 1967 vinyl 45rpm single I AM THE WALRUS USD $7.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Oliver Walrus [CD New] USD $20.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus (9) - Now You Know CD USD $2.87 Buy It Now 4 days
MINT EXCELLENT LN VGC Walrus - Now You Know CD USD $1.43 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS OR1838 EP ws4037 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
STYX - I Am The Walrus - Beatles cover song (2 discs, CD, DVD) promo cd, single USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES Hello Goodbye & I Am The Walrus 45 7" record NEW RARE + juke box strip USD $31.85 Buy It Now 4 days
WALRUS-NEVER GONNA LET MY BODY TOUCH THE GROUND/WHY RARE UK 7'' 1971 EX+ DERAM USD $39.00 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS ORIGINAL CAPITOL MONO 45RPM RECORD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Beatles, Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus, 45 Variety without "Subsidiary Of" USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
OASIS I Am The Walrus CREATION 12" VERY RARE ONE SIDED UK ORIGINAL PROMO CTP190 USD $864.81 Buy It Now 4 days
The Beatles-Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus-Vinyl 45 w/Picture Sleeve-West Coast USD $6.99 [1 bids]
Lot of 5 vintage Beatles 45 rpm records Walrus Hold Your Hand Revolution - SCT USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Harry Deal & Galaxies 45 This Love I Have / Walrus ~ VG++ USD $13.68 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES "HELLO GOODBYE"/ "I AM THE WALRUS" CAPITOL 45 USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Bea - Randy Jackson (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.21 Buy It Now 5 days
KENICKIE Punka CD 4 Tracks Inc Drag Race/Walrus/Cowboy USD $4.89 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES 45 & PS Hello Goodbye And I Am The Walrus. Capital Records 2056 USD $19.00 [0 bids]
Carl de Suze Elephant's Child Walrus and the Carpender Jabberwocky still sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus 45 w/ picture sleeve, Capitol 2056 USD $19.97 [0 bids]
Oasis - Wonderwall [5 Track EP] CD Epic1995 (49K 78204) CD only- I Am The Walrus USD $3.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Baby Walrus - Self Titled NEW LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Walrus - The End of the Earth Show - Autographed! Triple J Unearthed JJJ USD $14.16 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles, I Am The Walrus ( Australian Parlophone ) First Press, A-8273 USD $1.43 [1 bids]
The Beatles...I Am Walrus/Hello Goodbye...original pressing. USD $99.99 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE / I AM A WALRUS ORIGINAL CAPITOL 45RPM USD $55.00 Buy It Now 6 days
SPACE WALRUS Searchin + Grazin In The Grass EX PROMO Athena 45 rpm PSYCH ACID USD $12.00 [0 bids]
CANADA 1960s CAPITOL 2056 45 RPM THE BEATLES : HELLO GOODBYE + I AM THE WALRUS USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $12.99 Buy It Now
45 RPM RECORD: THE BEATLES: HELLO GOODBYE B/W I AM THE WALRUS (VG+) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS CAPITOL PURPLE LABEL MANUFACTURED 1988 NM! USD $6.00 [1 bids]
I Forgot My Blanket by Hash CD Rock Pop Grunge Music Mr. Hello I Am The Walrus USD $5.79 Buy It Now 6 days
WALRUS - WALRUS (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $49.53 Buy It Now 6 days
PROMO Walrus Who Can I Trust / Tomorrow Never Comes 1970 45rpm VG++ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Walrus - S/T - Janus 1972 - OOP - VG++ USD $7.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Beatles 45 RPM Record I am the Walrus / Hello Goodbye / Lennon - Paul McCartney USD $0.99 [0 bids]
MIKE FAB-GERE - I AM THE WALRUS 7" VINYL PS USD $5.76 Buy It Now 6 days
HUMANDRONE/WALRUS - Rizing Field - Vinyl (12") USD $14.22 Buy It Now 7 days
Beatles Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Purple Label 45 RPM Vinyl USD $16.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SPOOKY TOOTH: I Am The Walrus / Hangman Hang My Shell On A Tree 45 (Netherlands USD $30.00 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy WALRUS music online Buy WALRUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WALRUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WALRUS Walrus ratings distribution

WALRUS Walrus reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team
4 stars "Polar Kraut" Rock! Awesome new instrumental project from an ad hoc Swedish band that includes accomplished Swedish film music composer Matti Bye on the organ, two of his long-time associates in the world of soundtrack, cellist Leo Svensson and bassist Kristian Holmgren, and two drummers simultaneously playing the same drum kit (from opposite sides), Mattias Olsson (Anglagard, White Willow) and Henrik Olsson (Mattias' 17-year old son?).

Krautrock is alive and flourishing! Walrus gives us another wonderful testament to the revitalization of the Krautrock sub-genre of progressive rock, though this 33 1/2 minute offering is hardly an LP's worth of tunes. Bass, organ, synths, cello and two drummers are typical contributors to the music here.

1. 'Tromso' (7:14) is constructed very much in the vein of CAN with a steady, hypnotic bass and guitar beat, playful drumming and lots of incidentals'samples (radio & computer/electronic noises), percussives, cello, voices, Farfisa organ'and a humorous Monty Python-esque ending. (8/10)

2. 'Signals' (8:58) begins very slowly, heavily. The slow pattern of bass, background organ (and hiss) and seemingly random viola notes make for a very mysterious, ominous feel. The drums enter in the third minute and soon after a synthesizer, which turns into an organ, to 'liven' things up a bit for a minute or so. A bare bones section ensues for about a minute until everything hypes up into a fast pace (delightful!) while keyboards beep and swirl around in the mix for a while. At 6:50 the cymbol and bass play speed up but then move to a lower volume while things get stripped down to return to the slow-down, though more jazzy feel of the opening pace. A good song, with interesting experimentation in meter and sound level. (8/10)

3. 'Spitsbergen' (14:09) is the album's longest song. It starts with a very spacey synth and echo-plexed bass with creative percussion play for the first two minutes. At 3:37 the song shifts gears with a big chunky bass and full drum support kicking into a driving pace. They are joined by a modulated synth and arpeggiating organ and treated electrified cello. The constant building, climbing of scales and then dropping back to start over are highly engaging and always hopeful (for the listener seeking resolution). In the ninth minute things get stripped down to simplified levels'lots of staccato notes and spaciousness'with the occasional jarring interjection of a sustained low bass chord. At the 10:58 mark things pick back up again into the swirling, throbbing world from the earlier B Part. Almost ANEKDOTEN-like! (Especially with the presence of a mellotron.) The song winds down with the final 75 seconds being very slow and airy. (8/10)

4. 'Static' (3:06) is an austere bass and drum song peppered with synthesized and percussive sounds while an oriental-sounding echoed cello arpeggiates some odd oriental- sounding chords or scales. Kind of cool! (8/10)

Overall an engaging if brief journey into some quite cinematic songspaces.

4 Stars

Review by Second Life Syndrome
3 stars With a name like Walrus, you've got to be good. This instrumental band is indeed talented. However, I'm not sure about the inventive or originality parts. They play their instruments with ease and precision, but I've heard this all before somehow.

This music is labelled as psychedelic/space rock, but there is more heavy prog here, methinks. They almost get a djenty sound at times, and there is a ton of bass. Yet, they lack personality. If a band decides to be instrumental only, I feel they need to be able to express themselves eccentrically. There are such bands, such as Joseph Magazine or Hostsonaten, that can do this with ease. Walrus, on the other hand, sounds very cold and disconnected. So, this is a good album, but I feel they need to work on their collective personality in music. Sometimes, a little charm, such as in Colin Masson's instrumental work, can go a long way.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars Comprised of members of Anglagard and Gosta Berlings Saga, the impressive little debut album from Norway's `Walrus' is so far relatively flying under the radar from what I can tell. Let's try and change that! What inititally comes across as quite repetitive, monotonous and underwhelming soon proves to be a slowly brooding, hypnotic mix of Krautrock, spacerock, electronic atmospheres, heavier moments and uneasy ambience. Slab-like bass, wispy veils of Mellotron, Mini-moog and Hammond, cello and two different drummers create an intoxicating mood, and while occasionally the band does get stuck in the same pattern for what seems like minutes on end, this all works toward a very hallucinatory and disorientating effect on the listener, slowly wearing you down and dragging you into the mud.

Opener `Tromso' is a frantic hypnotic run, quickly reminding of the repetitive dirty grooves of Neu, Can and even Steven Wilson's Incredible Expanding Mindf*ck project. Starting with strangled cello and distorted, harsh metallic obtrusive random noise percussion, leaping thick bass punches down on the listener like a mallet to the head. Some swirling spacey swoops join in as the rhythm grows in intensity, the tempo picking up and kicking into overdrive behind some of the most scratchy serrated Hammond this side of Elephant9 before collapsing in on itself in the dying final seconds.

`Signals' has a creeping approaching bass line, stalking it's way through the filthiest of swamps to get to you, taking on the same eerie and unpleasant soundtrack vibe of Goblin and Morte Macabre. Droning ambient electronic pulses and haunting Hammond touch on early Porcupine Tree, even Wilson's Bass Communion project. We move through disorientating, hallucinatory psychedelia behind a machine-like hum before the piece explodes out of nowhere at the five minute mark and tears off into deep dark space! The bass gallops along to catch up, the drums turn manic and the keyboards glisten before the final minute disappears into a shimmering reprise of the stalking opening.

`Spitsbergen' is the crowning achievement of the LP, full of scuzzy tension and hard-edged distorted outbursts, book-ended with some deeply sinister and ghostly choral Mellotron and a `Careful With That Axe...'-style lurking bass line. The piece kicks back from the dead with some snarling electric guitar heavy riffs, Hammond full of mystery, and a weeping 'Tron finale worthy of Anekdoten. Much of this track places the percussion/drumming centre stage, so confident and filled with purpose. I don't think the track really needed the almost metal riff moments, as it's plenty heavy as it already is, but it's another piece that fans of Morte Macabre will really appreciate. The cold yet beautifully fragile closer `Static' ends the album in a darkly jazzy manner, with skittering drum-work and staccato deep bass notes over the loneliest of crying cello.

Walrus don't incorporate different sounds and genres so much as blur those lines instead, and the results, while no classic and often clearly showing it's influences, makes for a very promising and occasionally excellent dark instrumental debut. I have no doubt a follow-up will be even stronger as there's so much potential here, and I can't wait to see where the band goes to next. Fans who like the idea of a looser instrumental version of gloomy downbeat prog like Anekdoten, Morte Macabre and the darker corners of Kraut and space rock and will find much of interest here.

Three and a half stars.

4 stars These guys who are all Swedes apparently met in a bar in the far north of Norway in 2010 and decided to make an album together. They call their music "Polar Kraut" since this bar was on the Polar Sea and yes the style of music they play brings Krautrock to mind for sure. Leo Svensson who plays cello and mini-moog played with Mattias Olsson(ANGLAGARD) as guests on GOSTA BERLINGS SAGA's most recent album called "Glue Works" and those two along with the bassist here Kristian Holmgren played on the 2014 release by NECROMONKEY. Matti Bye a key part of this band plays mellotron and a variety of keyboards and he's released sountracks for movies over the years and he certainly leaves his mark on this recording.

So we get four tracks clocking in at a total of 33 1/2 minutes, just right. Up first is "Tromso III" which has this urgent sounding groove that is fairly intense. It does settle briefly before 5 minutes but then kicks in even harder after that. A catchy track overall. "Signals" is slow paced with atmosphere and it's quite dark as sounds come and go. Haunting female vocal melodies come in after 2 minutes and I love when the organ arrives after 3 1/2 minutes. Such a great sound right here. It does settle back but then we get some intensity 7 minutes in before it fades back and trips along.

"Spitsbergen" is the longest track at over 14 minutes. It's slow moving and minimalistic with those haunting female vocal melodies returning to this album once again. The song kicks in around 4 minutes as we get some nasty fuzzed out bass. The mellotron is gorgeous around 12 minutes in and I like the way themes are repeated on this tune. Such a trippy ride. "Static" opens with...well static. Liquid sounding keys, drums then cello join in on this 3 minute closer.

A solid 4 stars and a project that I hope continues in the future. This is dark, experimental and trippy, my kind of music.

Post a review of WALRUS "Walrus"