ASYMMETRY

- Andrew "Drew" Goddard / guitar
- Mark "Hoss" Hosking / guitar
- Jon Stockman / bass
- Steve Judd / drums

CD+DVD Workhorse Music Group WH25 (US) (2013)
CD+DVD Sony Music 88883753452 (UK) (2013)
CD+DVD Sony Music KARN06DLX (Australia) (2013)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

KARNIVOOL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KARNIVOOL Asymmetry Music

AsymmetryAsymmetry
CD+DVD
Workhorse Music Grp 2013
Karnivool - Asymmetry Bonus DVD Pal0 CD USD $45.69 Buy It Now 5h 38m
KARNIVOOL 'Asymmetry' CD USD $17.03 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Karnivool - Asymmetry CD USD $19.69 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Karnivool - Asymmetry - Deluxe (NEW 2CD) USD $20.03 Buy It Now 6 days
Karnivool - Asymmetry-International Deluxe Version [CD New] USD $20.52 Buy It Now 7 days
Karnivool-Asymmetry CD NEW USD $28.68 Buy It Now 8 days
KARNIVOOL 2013 Asymmetry Australian Tour Poster A2 Sound Awake NORTHLANE **NEW** USD $21.35 Buy It Now 8 days
Karnivool - Asymmetry (Australian Deluxe Edition) [CD New] USD $44.87 Buy It Now 8 days
Karnivool Asymmetry CD USD $20.02 Buy It Now 9 days
Asymmetry by Karnivool *New CD* USD $17.81 Buy It Now 9 days
Karnivool - Asymmetry-International Deluxe Version CD USD $29.19 Buy It Now 9 days
KARNIVOOL CD - ASYMMETRY [CD/DVD](2013) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK METAL USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY - CD + DVD - NEW USD $15.99 Buy It Now 10 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY - CD + DVD - NEW USD $15.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Karnivool - Asymmetry NEW CD USD $16.97 Buy It Now 11 days
NEW Asymmetry [bonus Dvd] by Karnivool CD (CD) USD $22.35 Buy It Now 14 days
Asymmetry, Karnivool, New USD $17.13 Buy It Now 14 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY AUS TOUR 2013 - PROMO COUNTER TOUR POSTER USD $11.91 Buy It Now 15 days
KARNIVOOL ASYMMETRY CD NEW USD $17.07 Buy It Now 19 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY [BONUS DVD] - NEW CD USD $17.54 Buy It Now 19 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY [CD/DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET USD $9.75 Buy It Now 19 days
KARNIVOOL**ASYMMETRY (DELUXE)**CD+DVD USD $9.98 Buy It Now 20 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY-INTERNATIONAL DELUXE VERSION (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $32.32 Buy It Now 20 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY - BONUS DVD NEW CD USD $52.61 Buy It Now 20 days
Asymmetry - Karnivool USD $13.74 Buy It Now 23 days
Karnivool Asymmetry CD USD $12.97 Buy It Now 23 days
Asymmetry - Karnivool New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $22.54 Buy It Now 24 days
Asymmetry (australian Deluxe Edition) - Karnivool New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Fre USD $50.82 Buy It Now 26 days
Asymmetry - Karnivool (2013, CD New) USD $17.03 Buy It Now 29 days
Karnivool - Asymmetry [CD New] USD $12.76 Buy It Now 29 days
KARNIVOOL - ASYMMETRY (+DVD) NEW CD USD $21.12 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy KARNIVOOL music online Buy KARNIVOOL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KARNIVOOL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KARNIVOOL Asymmetry ratings distribution

KARNIVOOL Asymmetry reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
2 stars Sometimes, you just shouldn't. Karnivool has never been a band that I really enjoy. "Themata" is an excellent album, for sure. Even "Sound Awake" had a few excellent tracks. With their new release "Asymmetry" , I'm struggling to find anything at all that justifies this album's existence. There isn't any inspiration here at all.

Sometimes, you need someone to tell you "no". That's one of the major problems here. Karnivool definitely leans towards the metal side of the heavy prog genre, and so this album is fairly heavy, guitar-driven, and technical as can be. That's right. This album is one of the most technical albums I've ever heard. I'm not even sure that the band stays in the same time signature for more than a few seconds at a time. It's ridiculous! In my opinion, this is not a good thing. Sometimes, you need to stop showboating. The technical emphasis is so strong that the "songs" almost lose their actual musicality! Yes, sometimes I'm not even sure if much of this album can be called music. No melody. No harmony. No restraint. Just an overload of technical crap. The lyrics are all tacked-on, certainly.

The half-way point of the album changes some of these things. We actually get a few slower songs, "Sky Machine" being an example of this. And you know what? "Sky Machine" might be the best song on this album! The album finishes out with a few good tracks that actually elevate this album as a whole. The first half, however, is pretentious and chaotic. It's a mess, to be frank. Sure, it's impressive to a point, but not something I want to hear again. Sometimes, you just need to check yourself.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1029515) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 05, 2013

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Karnivool are an Australian band that I had heard of, being Australian, some years back when there was quite a fuss over their rise to fame in this country. "Themata" released in 2005 seemed to buzz by without raising too much of a stir outside of Perth, but 2009's "Sound Awake" was hailed as an Aussie classic and really made the country aware of how great Karnivool are. This latest release is actually heavier in every department with very strong emphasis on distorted rhythm guitar with a metal sound and pounding percussion and a deep resonating bass. The vocals remind me of Tool or Soundgarden on this latest release "Assymetry". The artists present are Ian Kenny on vocals, Andrew "Drew" Goddard on guitar, Mark "Hoss" Hosking on guitar, Jon Stockman on bass and Steve Judd on drums.

From the outset on the drones of 'Aum' the band have adopted a darker sound with definite influences of Tool, especially in the off kilter rhythms and odd time sigs of 'Nachash'. The deep resonance of the bass synth gives this an industrial metal feel and the guitar riffs are as exploratory as Tool. The guitars are executed with inventive relish and blast with a distorted machine grinding ferocity; check out the intro to 'A.M. War' that is one of their outstanding tracks. The time sig is so fractured it wakes up the ear on every listen and has an unsettling effect with its broken cadence. The drums are incredible on this track reminding me of the intricate work of The Cardiacs. There are many switches of tempo throughout the album but this track takes so many twists and turns it is veritably spellbinding. I was surprised as there was nothing like this on their previous album and it is a change for the better. Listen to 'A.M. War' to hear one of the most chaotic time sigs in years! It is unbelievable and must have really shaken up old Karnivool fans. At one stage when the tempo gets fast it is hard to locate the actual rhythm as it competes so dissonantly with the other instruments. I must admit I loved this battle of the instruments complete with its beautiful chaos.

Following this brilliant track is 'We Are' that is also very riff heavy and features Kenny's exceptional vocals and Goddard and Hosking going ballistic on guitars. This is a more FM alternative sound but the album needed some commercial sounds after the previous tracks, and this became the single deservedly. 'The Refusal' features booming guitar distortion and some screamo vocals over relentless drum crashes and bass runs that are a constant presence, very much like Oceansize or A Perfect Circle.

'Aeons' is a more lengthy track at 7:18 and feels like a Porcupine Tree song in the opening, especially in the vocals. It builds from reverberated tremolo guitar to strong synth lines and the rhythm section of drums and bass. I was reminded of The Mars Volta once the time sig became chaotic and then it settles into spacey passages and lyrics about chemical fires; "will I breathe again, will my lungs fill with fire, when the smoke clears who will still remain here."

'Asymmetry' is a short sharp burst of prog that loops a sequenced keyboard and is joined by distant vocals and distorted improvised guitar as heavy as the sound of Sunn O))). It feels like a transition, a real oddity, and leads to 'Eidolon' with a pleasant bassline and gentle guitar joined by crystalline vocals. The lyrics are reflective "maybe I'm just too proud to stand in your defense, still I feel the pull of hidden wires, I'm never gonna try again to speak my mind." This song is more radio friendly and accessible, certainly a welcome change after the high strangeness previous. The melody is infectious and really stays with you unlike the unusual approach of constantly switching time sigs on other tracks.

'Sky Machine' is a longer track at 7:49, beginning with multi-tracked vocal harmonies and stunning drum tempos. Inevitably the heavy guitars crash through and then a great melody in the verses is heard. I love the sound of the guitars the way they reverb and overlap on this track. It is also wonderful when the music settles down and we hear the warm vocals of Kenny in the mid section.

'Amusia' is a transition that is just odd but delivers nothing to enhance the album at all. I am quite perplexed with the short transitions and really believe they would have been better used as intros to lengthen the rather short songs. They simply don't offer anything and feel like fillers. 'The Last Few' returns to the more intricate layers of musicianship and feels a bit messy though I admire the rather innovative percussion sounds, that are the opposite to any prosaic approach of most alternative bands these days. It is difficult to locate any semblance of melody and this just swishes by with a lot of sound but very little substance in terms of melody or structure. The album has run into a lull at this point after its blistering start so I hoped the next few songs would be outstanding.

'Float' is a psychedelic exploration with reverberations of glissando guitar in the Steve Hackett tradition. The vocals are sung in falsetto and are very emotive on this track. There is genuine beauty here and it literally feels as though it were floating along with chiming reverb attached to distant droning harmonics. The feeling of melancholy is strong and yet it feels as though a ray of hope is shining with the repeated "just enough to get by".

'Alpha Omega' is more like a real song without all the complexities and even features an infectious melody that can easily be recalled. 'Om' concludes on yet another oddity that is an instrumental of piano free form style, and enhanced by eerie atmospherics that sounded like Godspeed You! Black Emperor for a moment. When the recorded interview begins it sounds even moreso like GY!BE and yet I am at a loss as to what the band are trying to achieve with this strange ending; is it after all a concept album? And if so what it is it all about?

At the end of the latest Karnivool album I am once again left pondering what a masterpiece it could have been had it been more structured and made some kind of sense; perhaps even a plausible concept would have helped but it all seems to have been thrown together randomly. This is okay for a commercial album where the listener is not more demanding and just wants to hear a bunch of songs they can sing or dance to, but surely a prog band should deliver more, especially after 4 years hiatus. Karnivool certainly are not commercial or a band you would likely dance to, moreover they are thought provoking and inventive at their best, but the problem is in the short transitions and filler material that mars the rest of the outstanding work; it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. I am still impressed by this album in many ways and believe it deserves recognition for its innovative approach to the medium, especially on songs such as 'A.M. War.' The album has received attacks from the prog community for its chaotic soundscapes and lack of structure and I can see this is justified, but nevertheless the musicianship is outstanding, if a little too clever for its own good. It is excellent music though and a great way to idle the hour away on a lazy evening with the headphones cemented on. Karnivool refuse to sell out to the commercial trappings of so many other alternative bands and maintain intricate musicianship without languishing into dull radio friendly mush. For this very reason and for their innovative approach they deserve better exposure in the prog community and should be given a chance as I believe the offer a great deal and are a very original and talented band.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#1105322) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 02, 2014

5 stars Warning: This is an album that requires headphones or a very good speaker system in order to fully appreciate! With Karnivool's third release, Asymmetry, I am seeing a lot of growth, a lot of branching out in terms of influences and styles. There is still a lot of TOOL/MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN sim ... (read more)

Report this review (#1100962) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, December 27, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I was stoked to see this finally show up on the Amazon MP3 store and after several playthroughs I won't say that I am disappointed by the album, but I will say that I will say that only about half of it is very memorable. I feel there are moments where the music really grabs me but there is a go ... (read more)

Report this review (#1007516) | Posted by Wolfhound | Sunday, July 28, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Karnivool have changed their sound significantly from their previous effort, 2009's stunning 'Sound Awake', and that hasn't gone down well with a lot of fans. Where Sound Awake was fairly centred heavy prog/alt metal that broke into some strange tangents, but largely remained quite riff & melody-dri ... (read more)

Report this review (#1005400) | Posted by Kazza3 | Thursday, July 25, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Thought this album would be an evolution of Sound Awake or at least an extension and what it ends up being, is another band that let their egos get the best of them. Sound Awake and Themata have something this album seriously lacks, structure. I'm all about any crazy sounds or poly-rhythms you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#1004249) | Posted by lukekj | Tuesday, July 23, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Bands who don't evolve their sound generally have a short shelf life, especially in prog, where the listener is often craving something new and different and which has the ability to surprise. Karnivool is one band that has taken a step away from previous releases with their new album "Asymmetry ... (read more)

Report this review (#1003513) | Posted by bonestorm | Monday, July 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KARNIVOOL "Asymmetry"