MESSE I.X - VI.X (WITH TROMSØ CHAMBER ORCHESTRA)

Ulver

Post Rock/Math rock

Ulver Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra) album cover

Buy ULVER Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. As Syrians Pour in, Lebanon Grapples with Ghosts of a Bloody Past (11:50)
2. Shri Schneider (5:34)
3. Glamour Box (Ostinati) (6:10)
4. Son of Man (8:23)
5. Noche Oscura del Alma (5:25)
6. Mother of Mercy (7:22)

Search ULVER Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra) lyrics

- Ingrid Eliassen / trumpet
- Torbjørn Ingvaldsen / trombone
- Jens Christian Kloster / trombone
- Martin Romberg / grand piano

CD Neuropa Records, Jester Records NRP43, TRICK051 (2013)
LP Neuropa Records, Jester Records NRP44, TRICK051 (2013)
Box (LP+CD) NRP43, TRICK051, NRP44 (2013))
CD (Dig) Kscope KSCOPE267 (UK) (2013)
CD (Sli) Kscope KSCOPE268 (UK) (2013)
LP Kscope Kscope847 (UK) (2013)
CD (Promo) Kscope KSCOPE267P (UK) (2013)

Thanks to vangelis for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

ULVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ULVER Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Messe I.X - VI.XMesse I.X - VI.X
Kscope 2013
Shadows of the SunShadows of the Sun
The End Records 2007
Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)
Century Media 1997
Imports 2014
Vinyl$30.32
Childhood's EndChildhood's End
KSCOPE 2012
Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne Til Ulven I MandenNattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne Til Ulven I Manden
Century Media
Vinyl$74.99
Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And HellThemes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And Hell
Jester Norway 2006
Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials LP Vinyl NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
SUNN O))) & ULVER-TERRESTRIALS-JAPAN 2 CD BONUS TRACK H40 zd US $35.50 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Skitliv - amfetamin promo rare grivf evoken sunn)))o ulver drone krief de soli US $5.00 [0 bids]
SUNN O)) & ULVER Terrestials Vinyl LP 2014 SEALED NEW & SEALED Southern Lord US $34.45 Buy It Now 4 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver Terrestrials LP sealed vinyl US $16.98 Buy It Now 6 days
lotus circle - caves, coil vond mortiis ulver darkspace sunn o lurker of chalice US $5.99 [0 bids]
Ulver / Sunn O))) - Terrestials Split LP agalloch sleep ghost noise doom coil US $15.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Plasma Pool?- Drowning promo rare sunn)))o ulver drone attila csihar beherit US $10.00 [0 bids]
BORIS VEIN DRONE VERSION TEST PRESS ltd. 8 Sunn O))) Neurosis Merzbow Ulver KTL US $249.95 Buy It Now 7 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER - Terrestrials US $13.49 Buy It Now 9 days
Free*Postage New Sealed Sunn O))) Ulver Terrestials Black Vinyl LP OOP US $45.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Free*Postage New Sealed Sunn O))) Ulver Terrestials White Vinyl LP OOP US $49.99 Buy It Now 10 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials CD apocalyptic cosmic jazz/ambient prog doomdrone US $11.98 Buy It Now 10 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver Terrestrials LP NEW SEALED Drone Experimental US $32.07 Buy It Now 11 days
SUNN O))) ULVER Terrestrials LP SEALED SILVER VINYL /500 mastodon boris neurosis US $19.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Free*Postage YOB ATMA 2 x LP Stoner Doom Metal Sleep Ulver Sunn O))) Agalloch US $40.00 Buy It Now 12 days
Sunn O))) and Ulver Terrestrials CD US $20.23 Buy It Now 12 days
SUNN O/ULVER - Terrestrials - LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER - Terrestrials - LP ( NEW / SEALED ) 180 Gram SOUTHERN LORD US $11.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Ulver - Messe I.X - VI.X [ LP, Jester Records, NEW ] Sunn O))) Sleep Om US $29.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Sunn O)))/Ulver - Terrestrials [CD New] US $12.71 Buy It Now 18 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials LTD TO 1000 WHITE VINYL Southern Lord SEALED SS US $33.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials - 180g Vinyl US $24.50 Buy It Now 19 days
Sunn O/Ulver - Terrestrials (2014) - New - Long Play Record US $11.48 Buy It Now 20 days
Sunn o))) & Boris Gig Poster 2007 Oz Concert Tour neurosis isis ulver earth jesu US $14.01 Buy It Now 21 days
Mothlite - Dark Age CD 2012 digi KScope press Ulver Daniel O'Sullivan US $17.95 Buy It Now 23 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials Red Vinyl LP Mastodon Boris ISIS Melvins ISIS US $49.95 Buy It Now 25 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials LP GOLD VINYL apocalyptic cosmic jazz/doomdrone US $19.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver ?- Terrestrials - SEALED 180 gram VINYL - lp record 12" US $16.97 Buy It Now 26 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER "Terrestrials" LP earth mayhem boris US $32.07 Buy It Now 27 days
VARIOUS Merzbow Frog: Remixed And Revisited 2xCD boris Ulver Fennesz Sunn O))) US $14.99 Buy It Now 29 days
2x Orbis Albums Cassette Tapes Drone N' Void Sunn O))) Ulver Nurse with Wound US $6.40 Buy It Now 29 days
Orbis "Cosmic Dust." Tape 2013 Drone N' Void Sunn O))) Ulver Nurse with Wound US $6.40 Buy It Now 29 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER-TERRESTRIALS-1st PRESS EU LP 180g ORANGE VINYL 2014-EARTH-NEW US $48.08 Buy It Now 29 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver ?- Terrestrials - 180 GRAM BLACK VINYL - lp record 12" US $16.97 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy ULVER music online Buy ULVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ULVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ULVER Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra) ratings distribution

ULVER Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra) reviews

Review by Warthur
4 stars Teaming up with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra, Ulver use the classical backing offered by the orchestra to their advantage in adding weight, power, and gravitas to their post-rock compositions. Ulver have regularly dabbled in orchestral atmospheres ever since they steered away from the black metal of their early albums, with increasing confidence, and here there's a sense that a lot of these experiments dating from their William Blake album onwards are coming to fruition with these stately compositions. The title implies a VII.X-X.X to follow, and if that's the case they've succeeded in exciting and intriguing me. Recommended if you like the idea of a more classical, less electronic take on Ulver's post-rock era.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1062488) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Messe I.X-VI.X' - Ulver (8/10)

I can't think of another band that has so constantly and successfully reinnovated themselves as have Norway's Ulver. Like a modern day King Crimson, Ulver have never stayed in one spot for too long, always pushing towards uncharted territory even well into their maturity. While I'll always have a soft spot for 1995's Bergtatt, their decision to swerve away from their roots in black metal has given Ulver a much longer-lasting musical relevance than most of the bands from the Norwegian Second Wave. No matter where Ulver has travelled with their sound, it's always resulted in something interesting and sincere.

Of course, none of what I've just said should come as any surprise to anyone who has experienced Ulver before. The questions then are: where have they gone with their latest opus Messe I.X-VI.X, and what musical stones are yet unturned? Teaming up with the Tromsø Chamber Orchestra, Ulver's latest incarnation is based in minimalist neoclassical music. Slow, brooding and steeped in their unique brand of experimentation, this orchestral approach seems a logical evolution from the band's previous ambient work, particularly the sombre Shadows of the Sun. Messe I.X-VI.X may suffer the pangs of an uneven flow and a few less impressive moments, but its unique marriage of chamber music with dark ambient, electronic and jazz is impressive, and at its best, some of the most sublime material Ulver have ever produced.

Calling Messe I.X-VI.X an 'album' may be improper, as it has more in common with a modern classical work than anything in the popular canon. "As Syrians Pour in, Lebanon Grapples with Ghosts of a Bloody Past" introduces the album with a hauntingly profound soundscape. A hurdy-gurdy carries on a sombre dirge over the crackle of distant gunfire and grim wartime ambiance. Although the exotic atmosphere makes for a slow start to the album, the track ultimately evolves into a more focused modern classical composition. A string section gradually adds layers to a sombre arrangement that immediately recalls Henryk Górecki's "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs". Although first impressions had me yearning for a quicker start to the album, the track is damned near-perfect, both in its composition and execution.

Although Messe seems predominantly inspired by neoclassical composers, it most strongly gives the impression of being the soundtrack for a film that exists only in the listener's mind. "Shri Schneider" and "Glamour Hole (Ostinati)" would be fitting scores for a tense espionage thriller. Blending electronic experimentation with the neoclassical template, Ulver are exploring a fusion of genre I haven't had the pleasure of hearing before. The resulting atmosphere is immense and futuristic. While Ulver may have been influenced by tradition and longheld conventions on Messe, the music is anything but.

In homage to Western classical tradition, Messe I.X-VI.X adopts a liturgical theme, reflected in the work's solemn atmosphere, use of choirs, and minimal, religiously-oriented lyrics. Kristtofer Rygg's voice has remained a constant throughout Ulver's work, and the common utterance of Rygg as one of the most powerful, diverse vocalists out there does not go unfounded. Especially on Shadows of the Sun, his deep, gloomy vocals were profound and emotionally penetrating. Having been a fan of just about every vocal performance I've heard from him, it was all the more surprising and every bit unfortunate that Rygg's vocals seem out of place here on Messe. Although the first half of the album is nearly-perfect in its instrumental ambiance, the vocals on "Son of Man" have never struck me the right way. Maybe it's a result of the lyrics- the religiosity of which feels contrived and minimalistic without being particularly profound- or perhaps I simple became so immersed in the atmosphere of the album that lead vocals of any kind would have hurt my enjoyment. "Mother of Mercy"- the album's other vocal track- fares better both lyrically and musically. Rygg's voice retains its trademark depth and resonance, but the band's neoclassical direction doesn't fit his voice nearly as well as the electronic approach of yesteryear. Although I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that Ulver will find a way to make lead vocals work for this neoclassical style, I'm left with the (possibly) unpopular opinion that Messe I.X-VI.X could have been even better if it had been kept purely instrumental and ambient.

"Noche Oscura Del Alma" is a solid ambient piece, with warped samples of Helen Forrest's "Mad About the Boy" conjuring an impression of the post-apocalypse. Especially compared to the three other instrumental tracks however, it's the weakest offering here and doesn't really work without the two vocal tracks around it. Really, I'm left with two impressions of Messe. While the first half of the album is downright masterful, the second side is disappointing by contrast. The misguided vocals aside, Messe loses its sublime sense of pacing after "Son of Man". To the album's credit though, it would be difficult for any music to follow up the near-perfection heard on the first track and "Shri Schneider". The second half of Messe I.X-VI.X is quite good, but I'm left longing for a more consistently satisfying experience.

The title Messe I.X-VI.X implies the coming of a second installment to comprise the last four movements. If that's true, then I have high hopes for more of Ulver's neoclassical-electronic fusion. While the album does not impress me as much as their best ambient work in Perdition City or the devastating Shadows of the Sun, this next evolution leaves plenty of room for Ulver to create something worthy of awe and wonder.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#1082704) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Post a review of ULVER "Messe I.X - VI.X (with Tromsø Chamber Orchestra)"