DEFACE THE MUSIC

Utopia Deface The Music album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy UTOPIA Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

1. I Just Want to Touch You (2:00)
2. Crystal Ball (2:00)
3. Where Does the World Go to Hide (1:41)
4. Silly Boy (2:20)
5. Alone (2:10)
6. That's Not Right (2:37)
7. Take It Home (2:53)
8. Hoi Poloi (2:33)
9. Life Goes On (2:21)
10. Feel Too Good (3:04)
11. Always Late (2:22)
12. All Smiles (2:27)
13. Everybody Else Is Wrong (3:38)

Search UTOPIA Deface The Music lyrics

Search UTOPIA Deface The Music tabs

Bearsville LP/CS BRK 3487

and to easy livin for the last updates

UTOPIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy UTOPIA Deface The Music Music

Crown 2001
Deface The MusicDeface The Music
Bearsville
Vinyl$7.97
Deface the Music Tour by Utopia (2001-04-25)Deface the Music Tour by Utopia (2001-04-25)
Crown
UTOPIA DEFACE THE MUSIC SAMPLER vinyl recordUTOPIA DEFACE THE MUSIC SAMPLER vinyl record
BEARSVILLE RECORDS
Vinyl$9.00 (used)

UTOPIA 'Deface The Music' - BRLP 3487 - Vinyl LP Album - Italy 1980 - VG+/G USD $6.54 Buy It Now 13h 25m
UTOPIA 1980 LP DEFACE THE MUSIC BEARSVILLE BRK 3487 VG+ VINYL ORIG INNER SLEEVE USD $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Utopia--Deface the Music--8 Track-- Sealed USD $3.98 Buy It Now 14h 28m
UTOPIA Deface The Music Cassette Tape Bearsville Records 1980 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 14h 52m
UTOPIA DEFACE THE MUSIC 1980 RECORD LP ALBUM USD $19.95 Buy It Now 17h
Utopia 12" LP NEAR MINT Deface the Music TODD RUNDGREN BRK 3487 FREE US SHIPPING USD $12.58 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Deface The Music Utopia Vinyl Record USD $14.46 Buy It Now 2 days
UTOPIA Deface The Music UK vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $21.11 Buy It Now 2 days
UTOPIA deface the music BRK 3487 usa bearsville 1980 LP PS EX+/EX deletion cut USD $11.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Utopia Deface the Music 8 Track Tape TESTED USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Utopia 2 for 1 Deface the Music / POV USD $5.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Utopia (US) Deface The Music vinyl LP album record UK ILPS9642 BEARSVILLE 1980 USD $18.42 Buy It Now 3 days
UTOPIA DEFACE THE MUSIC BRK3487 & S/T 60183-1 W/ BONUS LP WHITE LABEL PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Utopia (US) Deface The Music vinyl LP album record Japanese 25AP-1962 USD $77.84 Buy It Now 4 days
Utopia - Deface The Music LP USD $10.55 Buy It Now 4 days
Utopia - Ultra Rare Deface The Music White Label Promo Lps. Beatles (sounds Like USD $52.82 [0 bids]
UTOPIA - DEFACE THE MUSIC - BEARSVILLE RECORDS VINYL ALBUMS USD $2.77 Buy It Now 6 days
Utopia "Deface the Music" LP in SHRINK USD $4.95 Buy It Now 7 days
UTOPIA Todd Rundgren Deface the Music 1980 VINYL LP Bearsville 23487 USD $4.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Utopia LP 1980 Deface the music EX Bearsville BRK 3487 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 8 days
UTOPIA deface the music K2HD-CD bearsville CD VICP-64217 japan 2006 w/ OBI USD $32.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Utopia, Deface The Music USD $5.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Utopia - Deface The Music Sampler EP Mint- Promo Pro-A-908 Vinyl 1980 Record USD $9.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Utopia Deface The Music Japan CD Obi VDP-28027 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Utopia Lp Deface the Music 1980 Bearsville records USD $12.95 Buy It Now 9 days
UTOPIA-DEFACE THE MUSIC VINYL LP NEW USD $17.05 Buy It Now 9 days
Rock Sealed! Lp Utopia Deface The Music On Bearsville USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN)-DEFACE THE MUSIC-BEARSVILLE BRK 3487 NEW SEALED LP USD $5.98 Buy It Now 10 days
BEARSVILLE Utopia DEFACE THE MUSIC Beatles Parody BRK-3487 JW-1/JW-1 EX+ USD $6.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Utopia - Deface the Music (1980) JAPAN Mini LP CD (2006) NEW Todd Rundgren USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11 days
UTOPIA [Todd Rundgren] DeFace The Music RADIO SAMPLER PROMO ONLY 12" NM Vinyl USD $11.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Utopia (5) Featuring Todd Rundgren ?- Deface The Music Tour Label: Rhino Record USD $25.00 Buy It Now 11 days
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) deface the music ILPS 9642 A1U/B1U uk LP PS VG+/EX USD $11.87 Buy It Now 12 days
Utopia Deface The Music Todd Rundgren Advert NME Cutting 1980 USD $13.20 Buy It Now 12 days
Utopia Deface The Music PROMO Original 12" LP Vinyl Record 1st Pressing USD $3.99 Buy It Now 12 days
UTOPIA Deface the Music LP sealed Todd Rundgren USD $10.00 Buy It Now 12 days
UTOPIA Deface The Music LP OOP early-80's prog-rock Todd Rundgren USD $4.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Utopia Deface the Music Japan Mini LP Sleeve K2HD CD Rare Import VICP-64217 NEW USD $69.95 Buy It Now 14 days
UTOPIA TODD RUNDGREN Record LP Album DEFACE THE MUSIC Shrink Wrap 1980 Inner VGC USD $8.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Utopia's Deface the Music vinyl album USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14 days
UTOPIA / TODD RUNDGREN Deface The Music SEALED VINYL LP USD $12.03 Buy It Now 14 days
Utopia Deface The Music Bearsville DRK-3487 SW 33rpm 110316DBE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 15 days
UTOPIA TODD RUNDGREN 5 LP LOT: ADVENTURES, DEFACE, OOPS!, SWING, UTOPIA (2 LP) USD $33.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Utopia Deface the Music 2008 JVC/Japan Mini LP Authentic CD K2HD Todd Rundgren USD $49.99 Buy It Now 15 days
UTOPIA - DEFACE THE MUSIC LP A1 B1 BEARSVILLE 1980 EX+ USD $13.14 Buy It Now 16 days
Utopia - Deface The Music ,LP VINYL, 1980, BRK-3487 1042 USD $3.95 Buy It Now 16 days
Utopia: Deface the Music LP USD $8.97 Buy It Now 16 days
Utopia/Deface The Music/1980 Bearsville LP/EX:EX USD $11.87 Buy It Now 16 days
UTOPIA - Deface Music Tour - 2 CD - **Mint Condition** USD $48.95 Buy It Now 16 days
Utopia Deface the Music Sealed MINT Vinyl cut out USD $13.95 Buy It Now 17 days
Utopia Deface The Music 1980 1st Press NM Vinyl Todd Rundgren USD $6.99 Buy It Now 17 days
UTOPIA Deface the Music 1980 LP Bearsville BRK 3487 VG+ Record, VG+ Cover USD $4.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Utopia [Lot of 2 LPs]: Adventures In Utopia / Deface The Music USD $10.89 Buy It Now 17 days
UTOPIA , TODD RUNDGREN Deface The Music Tour CRCL-7711/12 CD JAPAN 2001 NEW USD $170.87 Buy It Now 18 days
UTOPIA Vinyl Record LP ~ DEFACE THE MUSIC / 1980 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Utopia Deface The Music orig. sealed LP 1980 Bearville Records USA USD $11.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Utopia Deface the Music 8 Track Tape TESTED USD $8.00 Buy It Now 20 days
UTOPIA (TODD RUNDGREN) deface the music BRK3487 usa bearsville 1980 LP PS EX/VG+ USD $11.87 Buy It Now 20 days
UTOPIA Deface The Music LP Record Album USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20 days
UTOPIA - Adventures In Utopia/deface Music/swing To Right 2cd - CD - USD $123.75 Buy It Now 20 days
Deface The Music - Utopia (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $12.05 Buy It Now 20 days
Rock Pop Rock Utopia Todd Rundgren "Deface The Music" 1980 US LP USD $7.99 Buy It Now 20 days
UTOPIA DEFACE THE MUSIC LP 453 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 21 days
UTOPIA Deface The Music 12" Vinyl LP Bearsville 1980 PROMO ~e USD $9.95 Buy It Now 21 days
UTOPIA 'DEFACE THE MUSIC' UK LP USD $10.55 Buy It Now 22 days
Utopia Deface The Music MINI LP CD JAPAN VICP-63463 Todd Rundgren USD $29.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Utopia "Deface The Music" SEALED LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 22 days
Utopia 3 lp lot Deface The Music, Adventures In & Another Live Todd Rundgren USD $21.99 Buy It Now 22 days
FREE 2for1 OFFER-Utopia - Deface The Music : Bearsville ?- BRK 3487/LP USD $14.98 Buy It Now 23 days
UTOPIA Deface the Music VINYL LP - Todd Rundgren Take It Home Autograph / SIGNED USD $79.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Todd Rundgren Utopia Promo Vinyl LP Cleaned Playtested BRK3487 Deface The Music USD $12.88 Buy It Now 24 days
Utopia - Deface the music - Guaranteed Original, New OLD Stock USD $9.99 Buy It Now 24 days
TODD RUNDGREN UTOPIA Deface The Music NM Vinyl LP Record Album USD $3.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Utopia "Deface the Music" SEALED LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 25 days
SEALED LP, Utopia (Todd Rundgren), "Deface The Music" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 25 days
Utopia Deface The Music vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $33.10 Buy It Now 26 days
Utopia - Deface the Music [New Vinyl] USD $14.06 Buy It Now 27 days
Rock Lp Utopia Deface The Music On Bearsville USD $7.99 Buy It Now 27 days
UTOPIA DEFACE The MUSIC LP BRK 3487 1980 BEARSVILLE USD $5.99 Buy It Now 27 days
1980 - UTOPIA - Deface The Music - Press Advertisment - Poster Size USD $11.87 Buy It Now 28 days
Utopia - Deface The Music LP Mint- BRK 3487 Bearsville 1980 Todd Rundgren USD $9.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Deface The Music By Utopia Vintage Vinyl LP USD $4.50 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy UTOPIA music online Buy UTOPIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

UTOPIA Deface The Music ratings distribution

UTOPIA Deface The Music reviews

Review by daveconn
3 stars UTOPIA was never overtly influenced by THE BEATLES, so the decision to create a condensed career retrospective of THE BEATLES on "Deface The Music" is something of a surprise. Almost all of the songs are variations on an earlier BEATLES theme: "I Just Want to Touch You" is a spin-off of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "Where Does the World Go" is based on "I'll Follow the Sun", "Take It Home" is inspired by "Drive My Car", etc. The band occasionally succeeds at putting its own twist on THE BEATLES' songs -- the "Penny Lane"- inspired "Hoi Polloi" or "All Smiles" (which combines pieces of "Michelle" and "Fool on the Hill") improve on psychedelic pop much as XTC was able to do, but using tracks like "Eleanor Rigby" and "I Am The Walrus" as templates for "Life Goes On" and "Everybody Else Is Wrong", respectively, casts too great a shadow over UTOPIA's revisions to enjoy. TODD addresses the hopes of many in the opening track: "You might have heard this all before / But from me it could mean something more." Whether it's meant as a parody or novelty, "Deface The Music" sells their own songwriting skills and sound short.

A cute experiment, to be sure, but what was the point again?

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Love me do?

If you've come across "The Rutles", a British comedy spoof of the Beatles created by Monty Python's Neil Innes, you'll have a good idea of what to expect here. Like the Rutles, the music on "Deface the music" is all deliberately designed to such as much like the (early) Beatles as possible.

Rundgren does a good job if it, the album consisting of short catchy tunes which clone the Liverpool sound perfectly. If you were to be presented with these tracks and told they were from a recently discovered collections of recordings by the fab four, you would have no reason to doubt it.

The question is, why? Todd and the rest of Utopia have come up with some original and enjoyable work over the years, but this album is anything but original. Yes it's clever, but it does smack of grand scale self indulgence. For devotees of this web-site, there's no prog to be found here. For those who enjoy hearing the Beatles sound, you'd be better buying a Beatles album.

Review by soundsweird
2 stars Don't you hate it when you have a compilation album with a couple of great tracks from an album you've never heard, so you buy that album, only to find out that the tracks on the compilation are the only decent tracks?!?!? I already had "City In My Head", a very good Utopia compilation on 2 CD's. After a year of searching, I found a used copy of this in another city (Houston). Good thing I only paid $8 for this stinker (it didn't help that it was an original issue, not a remastered version). Also, it clocks in at 32 minutes!!! Todd?!?!? Hell, he's put more music than that on one side of an LP!!!!! We are not pleased.... What must have started out as a good idea became an album with a few good songs and a lot of filler. The music, lyrics and arrangements should've been a LOT better.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This album is yet another departure by Todd Rundgren – heck, everything he’s ever done has been a departure from something. In the case of Deface the Music, Rundgren and crew take on the early Beatles sound with a vengeance, or at least as much of a vengeance as is possible with this kind of pre-rock sound. The songs would have been very popular back in 1963, but as usual Utopia is reacting to a musical trend after it has already run its course, instead of being on the progressive forefront of a new sound. In this case they missed the boat by at least a dozen years.

“I Just Want to Touch You” is a pure pop song in the vein of the earliest Beatles – it’s “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” with a little bit (but not much) better production quality than those early Parlophone recordings. Same goes for “Crystal Ball” and “Where Does the World Go to Hide?”, the latter of which is some sort of self-absorbed lament from a guy who I guess just lost his girlfriend.

On “Silly Boy” the recording quality sounds like Rundgren intentionally tried to inflect the tinny sound of those mid-60’s albums that were converted from mono to stereo. This is another ‘girl done me wrong’ song, as is the next one, “Alone”, which has a little bit of a Spanish flair with someone playing a fat acoustic guitar.

“That’s Not Right” is another pre-1965 clone, and “Take it Home” is a conscious rip-off of (er, tribute to) “Drive My Car”. By the time “Hoi Poloi” rolls around the band has worked its way up to the later 60’s hits like “Penny Lane” and “Happiness is a Warm Gun”. There’s also some horns on this one which is a bit of a change from the front side of the album.

“Life Goes On” is a story-song with strings ala Revolver or maybe even the white album, but the boy-band harmonizing vocals are just plain kitschy.

I’m not sure what “Feel Too Good” is supposed to be a clone of, but it sort of sounds like the Sgt. Peppers/Magical Mystery Tour era with a little bit of psychedelic keyboarding and throbbing, repetitive guitar.

“Always Late” is the filler tune, and “All Smiles” is Abbey Road era but without the ethereal mood that the Beatles brought to the original. This one also has harmonizing backing vocals, but these sound more like an Irish drinking song.

The album comes to a close with “Everybody Else is Wrong” is just kind of a generic tribute to that era of music, with no particular influence standing out. I will say that I particularly like the piano on this song, which is somewhat slower than the rest of the album, but the vocals are just plain grating.

I have no idea why Rundgren felt the need to release a tribute (or parody) in the form of an irreverent retrospective, particularly in 1980 when even progressive bands were struggling to figure out what came next, not reflecting back on what was more than a decade before. I suppose he may have felt this was a daring gamble to be different, but I’d have to say it falls kind of flat, and definitely has not stood the test of time in the quarter-century since its release.

If you’re looking for some really good mid-60’s music that is bright, upbeat, and reflects the times in which is was written, well – buy some old Beatles records. If you’re looking for a really good Utopia album, this isn’t it – maybe try Ra or their debut album instead. Otherwise, this one is for collectors only. Two stars, and barely that.

peace

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars What were they thinking?

In my opinion, this is the first complete miss in Todd Rundgren's repertiore. When listening to this album it is very difficult to tell if Todd and the gang were trying to create a tribute album or a parody. If it was meant as a tribute, I think they would have achieved that goal better by doing their own interpretations of Beatles songs. If it was meant as a parody, they come up far short next to the great Beatles parody by Neil Innes and friends "The Rutles".

The only real entertainment value when listening is to try to determine which Beatles songs were the inspiration for each track on this album. Many of the songs sound like they were inspired by multiple Beatles tracks. And too many of the McCartney style songs sound not like Beatles, but McCartney's solo track Another Day.

The good points? It's a short album.

5 stars This album seems to be either loved or hated, with little middle ground. Count me in the "love" category. This album had the severe misfortune of being released around the time of John Lennon's assassination, which doomed it to commercial failure, but in musical terms it rivals the Rutles as being a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1327238) | Posted by CassandraLeo | Monday, December 22, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Wow. This album being listed under Eclectic Prog is mind-baffling. WHile some of the work of Utopia and Todd Rundgren can be considerd Prog, DEFACE THE MUSIC is pure Beatles- inspired pop-rock. It's not a bad album. In fact, it is an amazing tribute to The Beatles, similar to The Rutles, I gues ... (read more)

Report this review (#355439) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, December 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars When I first Heard this Album I was like WTF! It has grown on me over the years. I remember when John Lennon was murdered. I felt bad for Utopia, I think this album could have been a great followup to Adventures in Utopia. I wanted to so bad to see them perform this Album, but I understood at t ... (read more)

Report this review (#282831) | Posted by canemeth | Thursday, May 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I recently bought this album despite some of the reviews on this site and i must say i was verily impressed. It is a fantastic album driving through the Beatlesesque sounds. The early tracks recreating the start of their career are fast with such poppy brilliance as Rundgren does so well ... (read more)

Report this review (#96903) | Posted by Psychedelia | Thursday, November 2, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't know how many people actually know about the information that I am about to give. This album was released in 1980. 1980 is ironically the year that John Lennon was assasinated by that psychopath in New York. Well folks, guess what? When his Lennon's killer was arrested, his belongi ... (read more)

Report this review (#88557) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Now...i love Todd Rundgren´s Utopia (Especially : "Ra" "Utopia" "Oops wrong...") but when this one hit my ear...whoaaaa....whats this then...well its sort of Beatles goes Todd..if you will..it actually sounds like a forgotten Beatles album from the 60´ties. Except for the missing Lennon/McCartney ... (read more)

Report this review (#26507) | Posted by Tonny Larz | Wednesday, February 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of UTOPIA "Deface The Music"