THE GREAT SPECTACULAR

Dixie Dregs

Dixie Dregs The Great Spectacular album cover

Buy DIXIE DREGS Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Refried Funky Chicken (3:50)
2. Holiday (3:55)
3. Wages Of Weirdness (3:54)
4. T.O. Witcher (2:12)
5. The Great Spectacular (3:16)
6. Ice Cakes (3:46)
7. Leprechaun Promenade (3:19)
8. Country House Shuffle (3:59)
9. What If (3:28)

- Allen Sloan / violin
- Andy West / bass guitar
- Frank Josephs / electric piano

Dregs Records DRG 0197

DIXIE DREGS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DIXIE DREGS The Great Spectacular Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Dregs of the Earth Unsung Heroes Industry StandardDregs of the Earth Unsung Heroes Industry Standard
Imports 2014
What IfWhat If
Free FallFree Fall
Night of Living DregsNight of Living Dregs
Dixie Dregs: Live at Montreux 1978Dixie Dregs: Live at Montreux 1978
Multiple Formats
Eagle Rock Ent 2007
DVD$4.39
The Best of Dixie Dregs - 20th Century Masters: Millennium CollectionThe Best of Dixie Dregs - 20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection
Umvd Labels 2002
California ScreaminCalifornia Screamin
Lightyear 2000
Divided We Stand: Best of the DregsDivided We Stand: Best of the Dregs
Arista 1989

More places to buy DIXIE DREGS music online Buy DIXIE DREGS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DIXIE DREGS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DIXIE DREGS The Great Spectacular ratings distribution

DIXIE DREGS The Great Spectacular reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Jazz version of Kansas music (from their golden, mid 70s era). Guys from Dixie Dregs dared to combine Country music (among other styles and believe me, it means a lot of styles) with Jazzy tunes and result is extraordinary.

Romantic a little bit, very pleasant way of doing Jazz while staying Prog enough (read not dull & full of (even pleasant) twists & interesting ideas in their music in this case). When I said that this is Jazzy Kansas, I really meant it. This was the first thing I realized when listening this album (well, not the first song exactly, but main thought of them all), it is, but at the same moment it isn't Kansas style. There's something new in it (and we already know what it is).

For me, it's not, but I'm not sure if these country elements won't be too much for someone. I have very good relationship to this genre, but songs fully hit by this such as Kathreen may be too much for some. And I believe that country isn't enjoying so much popularity here on PA.

4(+), fresh wind for me into this area.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#286876) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This was one of the hardest to find LPs in my collection. The first Dixie Dregs album, released on their own label. Most of the songs were later rerecorded and released on their easier to find albums but this is still a gem.

The songs are less polished, and more raw than we are used to hearing them, and keyboard player Frank Josephs gives them a lighter touch. His playing often reminds me of Dave Stewart, and sometimes almost adds a Canterbury flavor.

Only one song on the album was never rerecorded. Kathreen is a typical Dregs bluegrass breakdown. Good, but not as fast as some of the later bluegrass pieces. And T.O. Witcher was not on any later Dregs albums, but was covered by Kansas when Morse was with them.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#306755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 26, 2010

4 stars I picked up this album in '76 in Atlanta at a used record store. A friend of mine told me about them and described them as Mahavishnu Orchestra BBQ style. Most of the cuts here have been re-leased and expanded on their subsequent official albums on Capricorn and Arista labels. It's a bit ro ... (read more)

Report this review (#69869) | Posted by marktheshark | Saturday, February 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DIXIE DREGS "The Great Spectacular"