MULTIPURPOSE TRAP

Birds And Buildings Multipurpose Trap album cover

Buy BIRDS AND BUILDINGS Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. The Dumb Fish (3:18)
2. Horse-Shaped Cloud (4:33)
3. Miracle Pigeon (2:27)
4. East is Fort Orthodox (5:53)
5. Secret Crevice (5:50)
6. Tragic Penguin (7:08)
7. Catapult (10:09)
8. Aviator Prosco (10:14)
9. Abominable Pelican (14:00)

Search BIRDS AND BUILDINGS Multipurpose Trap lyrics

- Cliff Phelps / vocals
- Chris West / vocals
- Megan Weatley / vocals
- Miyuki Furukawa / vocals

Download (September 24, 2013)
CD Emkog Records Emkog 005 (October 1, 2013)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BIRDS AND BUILDINGS Multipurpose Trap Music

Multipurpose TrapMultipurpose Trap
Emkog 2013

More places to buy BIRDS AND BUILDINGS music online Buy BIRDS AND BUILDINGS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BIRDS AND BUILDINGS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS Multipurpose Trap ratings distribution

BIRDS AND BUILDINGS Multipurpose Trap reviews

Review by Warthur
5 stars Birds and Buildings were floating the prospect of a followup to the magnificent Bantam and Behemoth back in 2010, but it's taken far longer than anticipated for the enigmatic Multipurpose Trap to manifest. I am thrilled to discover it's worth the wait, with the band teasing just enough whimsical vocals into their work to add a new twist (check out their searing indictment of the evils of the pelican on the concluding track) whilst not focusing on the vocals to the extent that their intricate instrumental gymnastics are disrupted. With a sound reminiscent of the clowns from Mr Bungle running riot in a National Health/jazz fusion/zeuhl warehouse, Birds and Buildings once again fly easily to the front rank of avant-prog.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team
5 stars Now I understand why they call this band BIRDS AND BUILDINGS. If you were to blast this out into the environment with loudspeakers birds would surely start flying into buildings! To call this music "busy" would be an understatement. The fact that this band so successfully fuses so many musical ideas into every moment at break-neck speed is simply astounding! Brett d'Anon's bass is the absolute wildest since classic era Yes. This is my favorite avant-prog since Mr Bungle

I definitely agree with others about the influences. This sounds like Mr. Bungle and National Health joined the circus and met Magma. All decided to jam but then the Mothers of Invention, Van der Graaf, King Crimson and countless mystery guests showed up to the party and this is the final result. This is the perfect blend of avant-prog, Canterbury jazz-fusion, zeulish rhythms and unpredictability. Unexpected snippets remind me of everything from Pink Floyd, to drone metal, even Kenny G! This everything-but-the-kitchen-sink sound really scratches my avant-prog itch. This multipurpose masterpiece has me trapped under its spell and I like it! I actually like this better than the fantastic debut album, so 6 stars!

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars It's a happy day in this prog household when a new Dan Britton project is released. Even the cat likes it. Dan Briton has become recognized as one of the most inventive and original composer / musicians in the new generation of prog. Everything he is involved with bears his signature yet maintains a separate identity. Much like Mike Patton, you know it's him but you can also easily pick out which band you are hearing.

My introduction was with the first Deluge Grander album. Then came the more avant-garde Birds and Buildings with its debut 'Bantam to Behemoth.' Another Deluge Grander followed and in the fall of 2013 Birds and Buildings had their next turn with 'Multipurpose Trap.'

In describing this, or any other progressive music, comparisons to other artists are bandied about as if by necessity. Granted, finding a baseline for context isn't easy without those kind of references. I do however grow weary of the usual, 'It's a blend of this with a dollop of that, mashed with A and a bit of B thrown in.' or 'If X and Y had a baby'' Do you want to know what Birds and Buildings sounds like? It sounds like Birds and Buildings. Okay, some kind of description is warranted. In the band's words, 'We play a mixture of intense jazz-rock (often bordering on zeuhl), more experimental symphonic music, and occasional avant-garde heaviness.' Got it? If you want more the band has posted some track-by-track explanation on their page.

What needs to be said is this challenging, sometimes dark stuff, that tries not to take itself too seriously. While the music may not as impenetrable as the influences the band drew from, it isn't exactly easy listening either. That was true of the debut as well. Keeping within the established B&B framework, 'Multipurpose Trap' expands on what worked before and explores new ground. A good example is 'Horse-Shaped Cloud' which has a bit of a medieval folk groove to it (that's right, I used groove in reference to medieval folk). Symphonic does not have as much of a presence in deference to emphasis on the avant and at times downright crazy. Take for example 'Secret Crevice.'

The first one was immensely enjoyable and would seem very hard to top. Against all odds they did it. There is a kind of well-planned schizophrenia going on. From the aforementioned folk, to lament, funky grooves and full freak-out, there is an even flow. Even in the height of chaos melody is never completely abandoned. Well, almost never. There are moments where the band gets to the speed and energy of a punk band. Much like Cardiacs except for the fact they actually were punks doing prog. The only complaint I had about the last album has also been corrected. That was the vocals being too low in the mix. Okay this vocal style is meant to be more of a subdued kind of barely intelligible chant but I still want to hear it. If you listen very carefully you may discover the bird theme in the lyrics.

The band needs to be recognized for their skill as well. The talent is as good as gets and every bit of it was poured into this recording. I imagine a lot of broken strings and smoking amps during these sessions. Brett d'Anon shines especially brightly as he approaches Jannick Top territory on the bass. The singers also gel quite nicely with Megan Wheatly standing out as usual.

'Multipurpose Trap' created a conundrum. I have a special place in my heart for Deluge Grander because I worked with Dan in getting them added to Prog Archives and 'The Form of the Good' was the catalyst for starting my blog. Facts are facts though and with this release I now prefer Birds and Buildings. It's a fantastic album by a tremendous group.

H.T. Riekels

4 stars Dan Britton has created an incredible album here with "Multi Purpose Trap". It's one i'd describe as avant-garde first and foremost, and the attention to detail is stunning. And the way he has arranged the music with all these intricate sounds meshing together is mind- boggling. This is complex yet melodic. I just can't imagine the time that must have went into this, Dan truly is a musical genius. I first became familiar with him with the band CEREBUS EFFECT, a band put together by the former drummer for CHAOS CODE after that band had broke up. I was pleasantly surprised then to see Dan had added Cliff Phelps to his band here as Cliff was the former singer for CHAOS CODE. What a bizarre album "Multi Purpose Trap" is though and even the thick liner notes filled with these strange and interesting pictures certainly give us a clue to what the music might be like.

"The Dumb Fish" features pulsating keys, percussion and violin early on then clarinet but there is so much going on, a phrase I probably will repeat a lot. Male vocals after 2 minutes and I have to say that the male vocals provided by several people certainly have character and suit the music well. Often there are multi-vocals. "Horse-Shaped Cloud" opens with violin, percussion, clarinet and more. Male vocals after 1 1/2 minutes. This is a toe-tapper but man this is complex. Sax leads for a while then it settles back 3 minutes in. So good! It picks up with a circus vibe before 4 minutes and this continues to the end.

"Miracle Pigeon" hits the ground running, insanity! MIRIODOR comes to mind here. It's a little heavier a minute in after someone shouts. More vocals before 2 minutes. "East Is Fort Orthodox" sounds different from the rest with organ helping out as the music sort of floats along. It settles into an intricate groove after 1 1/2 minutes then the vocals join in. We get synths and sax as well. The male vocals are determined and deep 3 1/2 minutes in. A haunting and somewhat spacey conclusion to this one. Great track! "Secret Crevise" has such an incredible and intense intro. Strange vocals follow and is that moog? Just mind-bending music. How can they possibly play this? I like the sax 5 minutes in.

"Tragic Penguin" is relaxed with electric piano to start as other laid back sounds help out. I like the background synths. Violin joins in then guitar around 1 1/2 minutes. It starts to come more alive before 2 1/2 minutes then the guitar and violin start to lead. Drums join in then vocals before 3 1/2 minutes then it settles back but is heavier before 4 minutes. This is filled with intricate sounds the rest of the way. "Catapult" has so much energy to it and it's lot of fun as well. Vocals after a minute. A nice heavy sound 3 1/2 minutes in with sax over top. It picks up again after 4 1/2 minutes. Some brief vocals as well. How impressive does this sound before 9 minutes? A collage of sounds weaved so perfectly together.

"Aviator Prosco" might be my favourite. Sax and atmosphere to start and this one has female vocals in it. It turns instrumental around 4 1/2 minutes with horns over top. Vocals are back a minute later. Another instrumental break with guitar out front, then bass as horns blast, then lots of piano and strings. Vocals are back late. "Abominable Pelican" is the closer and longest track at 14 minutes. The vocals are most prominant on this one. It's kind of funky after 4 minutes, very cool. Lots of strings and bass in this one. I feel like I should be dancing or something while hearing this. It settles some with violin at 8 minutes and I really like the drum work. Keyboards lead 9 1/2 minutes in. Synths and vocals follow.

If your looking for some adventerous music played and arranged at the highest level you really need to check this album out.

4 stars I was very curious to review this record! I had a feeling I would be a nice one and that was true. Birds and Buildings is a progressive rock band from the United States of America.Their first record "Bantam to Behemoth" from 2008 has gained a lot of appreciation and now they have released thei ... (read more)

Report this review (#1057098) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Wednesday, October 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The long awaited successor to one of my favorite albums ever. Overall, 'multipurpose trap' is pretty similar to 'Bantam to Behemoth', but has definitely evolved. The sound of this album is incredibly unique. Sometimes its sort of reminiscent of zeuhl, and at other times reminiscent of avant-prog ... (read more)

Report this review (#1056629) | Posted by pfloyd | Tuesday, October 08, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BIRDS AND BUILDINGS "Multipurpose Trap"