THE BEAUTY OF OUR YOUTH

Soup

Soup The Beauty Of Our Youth album cover

Buy SOUP Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. The Spirit Lodge (6:21)
2. Our Common Ground (4:14)
3. This Place Is A Dream (3:43)
4. Transient Days (5:05)
5. Memoirs Of An Imaginary Friend (6:41)
6. Loralyn (And The River Lady Within) (7:04)
7. Clandestine Eyes (8:14)
8. A Life Well Lived (7:32)

Search SOUP The Beauty Of Our Youth lyrics

Search SOUP The Beauty Of Our Youth tabs

- Erlend Aastad Viken / Vocals, keyboards & samples
- Ørjan Langnes / Guitars
- Jan Tore Megård / Bass
- Thomas Nyborg / Drums

Thanks to tired_feet for the addition

SOUP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SOUP The Beauty Of Our Youth Music

SOUPSOUP
Gear Fab Records 2000
Rock on Honorable Ones!!! by Bowling for Soup (CD, May-2005, BMG (distributor)) US $2.93 Buy It Now 31m 16s
FLAKE - Love Soup / Downside Anger 7" - on Duckbutter - 1993 grunge punk private US $17.99 Buy It Now 42m 3s
THE SOUP DRAGONS I'm Free 12" Record 1989 RARE US $16.50 Buy It Now 1h
Marshmallow Soup Group: I Love Candy / If I Could Reach You 7" 45 VG++ Canada US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
(EE430) The Phoenix Foundation, Thames Soup - 2013 DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup 1973 US Gatefold vinyl record album Rock US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BOWLING FOR SOUP - ROCK ON HONORABLE ONES NEW CD US $10.16 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Soup Dragons Electric Blues RARE CD Single US $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 48m
x3 Sky Cries Mary Promo Cds '94-97 Timeless/ Moonbathing Advc/ Coconut Soup ECD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
The Rolling Stones-Goats Head Soup LP 1973 Rolling Stones Records US NM/EX US $9.99 [1 bids]
(BT521) The Invisible Lead Soup, Revolver - DJ CD US $4.49 Buy It Now 3h 2m
(BT578) Paul Vickers And The Leg, A Horse Hoof In The Soup - DJ CD US $3.67 Buy It Now 3h 6m
David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us/Black Bean Soup - Dutch Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $6.99 [0 bids]
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Christmas Songs  Minty CD  New Case  Free Ship US $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 39m
TURTLES (Flo + Eddie) "Turtle Soup"White Whale #WW7124 (orig. textured gatefold) US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
100 Proof 45 "Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup)" US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
THE ROLLING STONES Goats Head Soup CD BRAND NEW Goat's Head Soup US $16.18 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Bowling For Soup - A Hangover You Don't Deserve US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Radio Test Pressing Lipton Tea & Soup "Arthur Godfrey & His Talent Scouts" US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 57m
The Soup Dragons-Lovegod NEW and SEALED! US $4.00 [0 bids]
The Soup Dragons-Divine Thing 4 track CDEP Canada Import US $3.00 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES Goats Head Soup COC 59101 FRANCE GATEFOLD LP US $18.99 [0 bids]
Bowling for Soup,CD,Cut-Out,Let's Do It for Johnny US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL:CELEBRATING LIFE CD 1998JAMES TAYLOR DONOVAN KIKI DEE US $4.22 Buy It Now 9h 12m
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL:LOVE & INSPIRATION CD 1998 CHICAGO BREAD STYX NILSSON US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h 19m
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL:I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU CD 1998 HOLLIES YOUNGBLOODS US $4.22 Buy It Now 9h 30m
BLIND MELON**SOUP**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Goat's Head Soup, Rolling Stones, New Original recording reissued US $14.10 Buy It Now 10h 26m
THE QUESTIONS Tear Soup 12" record UK IMPORT US $10.47 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Beastie Boys, Soup Dragons, Michelle Shocked, Pantera - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 12h 21m
The Soup Dragons - Divine Things (CD Single) US $4.55 Buy It Now 12h 25m
PHINEAS and FERB soundtrack CD disney xd Bowling For Soup US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Soup Dragons 7" 45 Oz Vinyl Single - I'm Free US $7.24 Buy It Now 13h 19m
The Soup Dragons - Mother Universe (CD Single) US $12.23 Buy It Now 13h 39m
Cutthoat Soup [CD New] US $14.62 Buy It Now 13h 53m
THE HOUSEMARTINS and THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH - SOUP (BRAND NEW CD) BEST OF US $9.78 Buy It Now 13h 58m
MACON SOUL SOUP Various Artists NEW NORTHERN SOUL CD (GRAPEVINE) R US $16.31 Buy It Now 14h 17m
Soup : Laughing at the Fables CD (1998) US $2.43 Buy It Now 15h 15m
The Rolling Stones Soup of head of goat first limited edition Rock CD Japan New US $61.95 Buy It Now 15h 17m
PHAT FRED don't spoil the soup+1 Japan CD P-VINE FUSION US $9.74 Buy It Now 15h 51m
THE SOUP DRAGONS - MOTHER UNIVERSE (4 TRK CD SINGLE) (REF D5) US $8.15 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Stone Soup : Spooge CD (1997) US $5.52 Buy It Now 16h 5m
The Beautiful South - Soup (2007)(430) US $4.88 Buy It Now 16h 8m
ROLLING STONES Goats Head Soup 1973 cassette US $2.00 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES - GOAT HEAD SOUP VINYL LP US $29.37 Buy It Now 17h 36m
LIKE NEW JIMI HENDRIX - VOODOO SOUP - CD (1995 Picture Disc - RARE) US $7.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX DISTURBINGLY RARE VOODOO SOUP DS CD / LP COVER ART POSTER VERY COOL US $54.95 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Funk Soup - Village Voodoo New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 18h 25m
CHIC 7" PS Japan SOUP FOR ONE r8758 US $7.00 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Bat Head Soup: A Tribute to Ozzy (CD, Cleopatra, AM) Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley US $2.95 [0 bids]
THE ROLLING STONES Goat Head's Soup ORIGINAL GATEFOLD COVER & 'Offensive' INSERT US $19.99 Buy It Now 19h 50m
chicken soup for the soul music CD US $2.00 Buy It Now 19h 55m
ROLLING STONES - Goats Head Soup / Album Cassette Tape / Greek Import 1973 /767 US $13.04 Buy It Now 20h 25m
The Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup original lp album 1973 COC 59101 US $11.74 Buy It Now 20h 39m
Turtle Soup (CD 1991) - the mock turtles US $21.21 Buy It Now 20h 58m
Bowling For Soup - Rock On Honorable Ones [CD New] US $5.85 Buy It Now 21h 2m
THE SOUP DRAGONS - Hotwired CD 1992 Big Life Unplayed US $4.88 Buy It Now 21h 17m
Chicken Soup for the Soul-What a Wonderful World CD NEW US $16.82 Buy It Now 21h 23m
THE ROLLING STONES Goats Head Soup ORIG. 1973 COC-59101 1st Press LP EX w/Insert US $6.00 [1 bids]
Lovegod The Soup Dragons CD Alternative Music I'm Free Mother Universe Love God US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 27m
THE ROLLING STONES Classic Rock LP GOATS HEAD SOUP US $5.99 [0 bids]
SOUP FOR ONE SOUNDTRACK LP OST FEATURING DEBORAH HARRY, CARLY SIMON LP WTG 19353 US $11.98 Buy It Now 21h 54m
Bowling For Soup - Bowling For Soup Goes To The Movies [CD New] US $5.85 Buy It Now 22h
Will You Make My Soup Hot & Silver- Carsten Dahl Trio (CD) US $14.80 Buy It Now 22h 26m
Guy Clark - Cold Dog Soup US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Bowling for Soup Fully Hand Signed Fishin for Woos CD Booklet *Autographed* US $14.68 Buy It Now 22h 50m
The Soup Dragons Divine Thing RARE CD Single US $5.71 Buy It Now 23h 10m
CD The Soup Dragons Lovegod Love God US $7.64 Buy It Now 23h 11m
SOUP DRAGONS..I`M FREE...EXCELLENT COPY OF 1990 RAW TV ALT.ROCK 7"..RTV9 US $4.88 Buy It Now 23h 25m
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Love and Inspiration by Various Artists (CD,... US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Rolling Stones/Goats Head Soup/Original Vinyl Record LP/COC 59101 US $11.99 Buy It Now 23h 48m
Soup for One- soundtrack- various- new/sealed cassette tape US $10.00 Buy It Now 23h 51m
The Turtles Turtle Soup Blimp White Whale WW 7124 Stereo Vinyl Record Album US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY NOONE & His Orchestra New Orleans Hop Soup Blues 78 Brunswick 03169 US $21.21 Buy It Now 1 day
ROY MERIWETHER TRIO - Soup & Onions LP Columbia 360 MONO US $13.10 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Single THE HIGH FIDELITY Come Again Parts 1 To 5 MINT SOUP DRAGONS F.C KAHUNA US $1.62 [0 bids]
BOWLING FOR SOUP-A Hangover You Don't Deserve-PUNK ROCK-Wichita Falls,Texas/TX US $8.49 Buy It Now 1 day
The Soup Dragons The Majestic Head (PS) 7" Vinyl Single US $9.39 Buy It Now 1 day
(DF592) Thomson, Suicide / Blue Soup - 2001 DJ CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CURTIS GONE BAD "Self-titled" 12" - Nail Soup Records '88 - Private Press Boston US $7.99 [0 bids]
SOUP (UK IMPORT) - NEW CD US $9.78 Buy It Now 1 day
THE SOUP DRAGONS this is our art LP Canada 80s ALTERNATIVE ROCK L@@K US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK BEAN SOUP, DON'T GIVE UP, DAVID SOUL1976 ALBUM LP US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock 45 - Hot Soup - You Took Me By Surprise / Gettin' In My Way Again - 1969 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Soup Dragons Pleasure 12" Vinyl Record US $15.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Shades Of Grey - Colour Soup CD US $3.83 [0 bids]
bat head soup: tribute to ozzy / various CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD'S-BOWLING FOR SOUP GOES TO THE MOVIES CD SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOWLING FOR SOUP Drunk Enough to Dance CD Aug-2002, Silvertone Records US $3.68 [0 bids]
THE ROLLING STONES Goats Head Soup b on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lovegod by The Soup Dragons (CD, Aug-1990, Big Life) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Hotwired by The Soup Dragons (CD, Apr-1992, Big Life) US $0.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX Voodoo Soup on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lovegod by The Soup Dragons  (Big Life)  13 Tracks  Minty Cd  NEW Case US $5.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Vintage THE ROLLING STONES GOATS HEAD SOUP 1973 Album 8 Track Tape! LOOK! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 8 Track Tape "Goats Head Soup" by The Rolling Stones Rock n Roll US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup, VG+, Gatefold, Nice Copy! US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SOUPY SALES: A Bag Of Soup LP (cut corner, cover bend) Comedy US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rolling Stones Goat's Head Soup Original Vinyl Album 12", 1974, 1st Edition Blue US $7.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SOUP music online Buy SOUP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SOUP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SOUP The Beauty Of Our Youth ratings distribution

SOUP The Beauty Of Our Youth reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars The strength of material released in 2013 is continuing to astound me. From established bands to artists that are suddenly coming out of the woodwork, this year will be remembered as an incredible year. Case in point: the new album from Norway's Soup. Attracted as I was to the cover art and general tone of the album, I was excited after I heard "The Beauty of our Youth".

Soup have a certain amount of familiarity about them, but they still have their own sound. They remind me of a mix between Anathema and The Pineapple Thief, but that doesn't quite cover it, either. They feature climactic melodic progression similar to Anathema, but also a grounded rustic quality like that of The Pineapple Thief. Add to that a bit of Muse, a slight indie influence, and a talented violinist, and you will start to get a picture of how this album sounds. Melodious, soaring, upbeat, orchestral, and magical at times, Soup's third album leaves quite an impression both musically and lyrically.

I was immediately taken with the nostalgic ambiance throughout "The Beauty of our Youth". If it weren't already apparent by the title, I think nostalgia was the very point of this work. Youth really is like a dream. I can remember the "good old days", and somehow I forget all the bad times. This album is a tribute to those memories.

Soup has quite a way of incorporating these glorious feelings into their music through ascending melodies and even group singing. This is especially apparent on "Transient Days". Other favorite tracks include "Our Common Ground" with its excellent violin lines, and the wistful "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend". Every song, however, is strong and provokes emotion, at least for those of us that want to reach out and remember better days. I'm really thankful for this glorious new release from Soup, and I really wish them the best for future endeavors into progressive music.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1065846) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Even though that Andalusian delicacy gazpacho is called a chilled soup, it does not mean that Norway can claim that prog bands Gazpacho and Soup both taste the same. This Soup is somewhat more ardent and fiery and is best served piping hot. The propensity for grandiose and sweeping melodies is such that I am reminded of more of recent Anathema, not the easiest task as lead lung Vince Cavanaugh can bellow and croon with the best of them. But Soup's vocalist Erlend Viken is awe inspiring, daring to enter fellow Norwegian Morten Harket territory (Yes, the Aha guy, but what a voice, phew! That proggy electropop sensation had their two first albums cause quite a sensation). This is my first foray into this mysterious band, a crew that just may elevate itself to the loftiest prog throne, its craft exquisitely honed and sculpted to perfection. The songs start out like a cold dewy morning, waiting for the sunlight to pierce through the clouds and explosively symphonise the arrangement with sweeping crescendos of sheer musical delight, giving the arrangements a nearly operatic sheen. As the title might lead you to believe this is all about nostalgia, of times gone by with shimmering memories left behind as comfortable reminders, certainly a notion I admire and deeply enjoy. Also very romantic music, indeed.

Comparisons to above mentioned Anathema, as well as Muse or even Coldplay are perhaps accurate but truth is that Soup forges its own style, a rare combination of accessible yet romantic, spirit-driven and intense stories. Vocalist Viken also provides massive amounts of piano (always a good sign), solid rhythm section that pulses when needed as both Jan Tore Megard and Thomas Nyborg seem totally inspired, while guitarist Orjan Langnes provides wall of sound textures that serve to heighten the pleasure. This becomes apparent on the enigmatic opener "The Spirit Lodge", an upward spiraling melody, a distinctive cello grooving along classically and providing the impetus for the celestial choir that highlights the song. The apotheosis is reached and then the afterglow kicks in, a very sexually intense demeanor that bodes well for the remaining tracks. "Our Common Ground" is more conventional from the get-go, certainly poppier in spirit, heavier in scope and denser in sound. Bassist Megard carves deep furrows on which massive strings engulf the arrangement, though through all this thunder, the voice travels between tender and explosive, even when the solemn piano sits in the spotlight alone to send this one into the night.

Piano is again the lead for the ballad "This Place is a Dream", strings heightening the vocal panorama, as another wall of sound crescendo comes shining through the clouds. The three-pronged melody is drenched in classicism with plenty of opaque choir work (both synthetic and organic), the glittering piano being the obvious shepherd into the segue piece "Transient Days", full of rumination and souvenir, of a time effectively gone by and relevant only to those who prefer to think and inquire about the future. Powerfully intransigent.

But the next four pieces should really provide the corner stones for this release, being firstly longer pieces (6:41 to 8:13) and thus with more oomph, lasting effect and omnipresence. It will turn out to be a mixed bag, though. First up is "Memoirs of an Imagination", Viken's expressive voice slowly exalting towards some distant star up there in the galactic sky. The Anathema-styled chord progression on the chorus is evident and convincing, while the piano work settles the dust only to elevate the melody once again. All of course bathing in the trembling guitar and keyboard symphonics.

But "Loralynn and the River Lady" has softer child-like tones, haunting and hushed voice adding tons of effect and hue. But halfway through, the piece suddenly plods rather loudly and fails to impress in the more explosive final moments. The explosion is muddy and disorderly, in-distinctive and thus unappealing. I even caught myself cringing slightly (something I only do when someone accidentally mentions my ex-wife) which is not a prog pleasure principle at all.

Thankfully "Clandestine Days" makes up for it in spades, being the most involved track here by far, deeply melancholic and emboldened by a refined melody, unassuming drums and a gloriously high- pitched vocal. This is Soup at its finest, clanging web-like guitar with a morose bass solo and uncomplicated drum escort. Definitely an Anathema feel, complete with the powerful chorus, as Viken howls like a delirious wolf glaring at the moon. This is utterly spectacular, no two ways about it!

The splendid finale "A Life Well Lived" immediately focuses on the profoundly nostalgic lyrics, just grand piano as a foil, and thankfully embedded with a lovely European styled melody. The build-up is deliberate but focused, attention to detail as well as emotional impact being the norm, serenely expanding in vivacity, until the chorus becomes almost unbearably celestial, guitar screaming through the pale. Another winner!

Fans of Anathema, Pineapple Thief and Gazpacho (to a certain extent only) will enjoy this recording.

4 teenage reminiscences

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#1266903) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Post a review of SOUP "The Beauty Of Our Youth"