ANTHOLOGY

3. Arena
4. Anytime
5. Don't Cry
6. Aqua Part One
7. Who Will Stop The Rain?
8. The Heat Goes On

- Al Pitrelli / guitar
- Michael Sturgis / percussion, drums
- Aziz Ibrahim / guitar

CD Original Masters 15519

Thanks to Lucas for the addition
and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

ASIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ASIA Anthology Music

Anthology (Special Edition)Anthology (Special Edition)
PID 2010
Inside Out U.S. 2005
Original Masters UK 1999
Anthology by Asia (2012-09-19)Anthology by Asia (2012-09-19)
Sony Japan
Anthology by Asia (2003-12-16)Anthology by Asia (2003-12-16)
Snapper Classics UK
Import · Limited Edition
Sony Japan 2012
Best of Asia: AnthologyBest of Asia: Anthology
Import [Generic] 2002

ASIA - ANTHOLOGY - CD USD $12.94 Buy It Now 3 days
SPIRIT OF ASIA: ANTHOLOGY [USED CD] USD $71.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Spirit of Asia: Anthology New CD USD $69.05 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAND NEW CD // ASIA ANTHOLOGY // GREATEST HITS // JOHN WETTON, CARL PALMER USD $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anthology [Asia (Rock)] [1 disc] New CD USD $11.52 Buy It Now 4 days
Asia - Anthology (CD 2005) Special Edition + Bonus Track USD $6.27 Buy It Now 4 days
CD ASIA ANTHOLOGY OF WORLD MUSIC CRY OF THE DRAGON SHANGHAI NIGHTS VOICES OF USD $7.53 Buy It Now 6 days
Asia : Anthology CD (1999) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Spirit of Asia: Anthology Audio CD USD $102.96 Buy It Now 11 days
The Beatles Great Hits USA 2 + Anthology Unofficial Asia CD x 2 USD $7.45 Buy It Now 12 days
Hawkwind - Spirit Of Asia: Anthology [CD New] USD $43.71 Buy It Now 13 days
Anthology Asia Audio CD USD $54.85 Buy It Now 15 days
Asia - Anthology: Limited [CD New] USD $22.67 Buy It Now 18 days
MOON Rec. ASIA Anthology Bonus Remastered - CD UKRAINE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Spirit Of Asia: Anthology - Hawkwind (CD Used Very Good) USD $41.71 Buy It Now 20 days
DEEP PURPLE-ANTHOLOGY (ASIA) (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $17.64 Buy It Now 20 days
3 CD`s ANTHOLOGY of ASIAN MUSIC - ASIA CHINA JAPAN - MUSIC of ASIA USD $29.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Anthology. Edition] by Asia. USD $37.63 Buy It Now 23 days
Spirit of Asia: Anthology by Hawkwind. USD $69.06 Buy It Now 23 days
Asia Anthology Special Edition CD NEW 2010 Digitally Remastered USD $6.27 Buy It Now 23 days
Spirit Of Asia: Anthology - 2 DISC SET - Hawkwind (2009, CD New) USD $46.53 Buy It Now 24 days
ASIA cd ANTHOLOGY greatest hits SPECIAL EDITION slipcase bonus track PROG ROCK USD $10.00 Buy It Now 27 days
Asia-Asia-Anthology Lim Edt (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $5.26 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy ASIA music online Buy ASIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ASIA Anthology ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

ASIA Anthology reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Watch for those re-recordings

A good cross section of Asia tracks from the bands' albums up to and including "Arena".

Be warned though, the 5 tracks from the Wetton era were re-recorded in 1997 by the then current line up. I understand this was for the ubiquitous "contractual" reasons. The tracks in question are "Heat of the moment", "Only time will tell", "The heat goes on", "Go", and "Don't cry". The quality of these re-recorded tracks is good, but they do not stand up well to comparison with the originals. Arguably among the band's best songs, "The smile has left your eyes" is missing altogether as it is rightly considered by the band to be John (Wetton)'s track and thus they would not re-recorded it in his absence.

The "Payne era" tracks are the original studio versions, and span such albums as "Aria" and "Arena". They stand up well alongside the band's early work, making for a coherent album.

A good introduction to Geoff Downes' Asia, but I would recommend other collections containing all original versions before this one.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Different Worlds

Asia has been anthologized like almost no other band. There are no less than 12 Asia compilation albums listed here on Prog Archives, and there are probably even more out there. This excessive amount of compilations is confusing, to say the least, and I blame this situation for me missing out on this one for so long. Normally, I don't bother with compilations at all. But the present one features some tracks not available anywhere else which makes this a worthwhile compilation for me.

Anthology features 16 tracks, all of which feature John Payne on lead vocals (yes, even the "classic" 80's songs; they were re-recorded here with the Payne-era line-up). Surprisingly, the collection opens with a strong version of a non-Asia track. The Hunter was written by Geoff Downes, but for GTR (the band Steve Howe formed together with Steve Hackett in the mid 80's, after he left Asia for the first time). Unlike many others, I actually like GTR! But I never knew until now that Asia had recorded a version of this song. I like both the original version of The Hunter featuring Max Bacon on vocals, and the present version featuring John Payne.

Only Time Will Tell, Heat Of The Moment, Don't Cry, The Heat Goes On, and Go, are the songs that were re-recorded for this compilation to represent the John Wetton-era of the band (the three first albums; Asia, Alpha, and Astra). Personally, I don't care too much for some of these songs, in any version! But I do prefer the Payne-era over the Wetton-era in general.

Aqua, the first Asia album with John Payne on vocals, is represented here with the lovely Steve Howe instrumental Aqua Pt.1, followed by Who Will Stop The Rain? From Aria we get three tracks in Anytime, Feels Like Love, and Military Man. The latter is a great song. From Arena we get the title track and Two Sides Of The Moon, not the best songs from that album. Different Worlds was a new song at the time and released here for the first time (at least I think so), and Reality was only released on Archiva. The re-issue of Anthology has an acoustic version of Time Again as a bonus track. It's a good one!

A worthy addition to any comprehensive Asia collection!

2 stars John Payne's vocals can't hold a candle to John Wetton's on the re-recordings of the original tracks found her. Unfortunately, Payne didn't consistently master the subtlety necessary to carry off lead vocals for the band until his last album, Silent Nation, which was a decent effort. That albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#272932) | Posted by drakonyx | Friday, March 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A very pleasant and solid compilation, in my opinion! ...and a very listened and listened again by me in the last 8 years since I put my hands on it! We've got here a bunch of songs from Payne-era (which represents for me almost the perfect image of what band meant in the period a ... (read more)

Report this review (#199026) | Posted by Sachis | Wednesday, January 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is supposed to be a "Best Of" album, but in fact contains many tracks from the Payne era, two unrealeased tracks and five re-recorded tracks from the Wetton era. I'd say for the Payne era they almost picked up the best tracks they recorded during that period - only "Reality" from the Arc ... (read more)

Report this review (#71193) | Posted by zaxx | Sunday, March 5, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ASIA "Anthology"