AN OLD CASTLE OF TRANSYLVANIA

- Hirashi Mizutani / guitars, vocals
- Kazuo Okamoto / drums, percussion
- Toshikazu Taki / bass, vocals
+ Misao / violin (5)

Lp. Columbia/Merry Go Round / Cd. Nippon columbia COCA 7253 (1991)

COSMOS FACTORY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy COSMOS FACTORY An Old Castle of Transylvania Music

An Old Castle Of TransylvaniaAn Old Castle Of Transylvania
101 DISTRIBUTION 2010

More places to buy COSMOS FACTORY music online Buy COSMOS FACTORY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for COSMOS FACTORY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

COSMOS FACTORY An Old Castle of Transylvania ratings distribution

COSMOS FACTORY An Old Castle of Transylvania reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars The Japanese progrock band COSMOS FACTORY made a sery of albums in the Seventies with every time another sound. I prefer their debut-album "An Old Castle Of Transylvania" (1973). The long title track (around 20 minutes) is a mind blowing blend of psychedelia and progrock with great build ups and eruptions, very compelling with strong hints from early PINK FLOYD but the swirling movements also brings the long live tracks from URIAH HEEP, DEEP PURPLE, IRON BUTTERFLY, VANILLA FUDGE and Krautrock like early JANE and ELOY on my mind. It contains sumptuous keyboard play including heavy floods of Hammond organ and Mellotron along biting guitar. The interplay between guitar and organ is like "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" from PINK FLOYD. The other songs are also loaded with Hammond and Mellotron, a real 'keyboard nirvana' for the fans of 'vintage keyboards'.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#26970) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 31, 2004

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
3 stars Where is an old castle of Transylvania? And what can exist in the castle? You can enjoy the dramatic suite with the imagination.

We can't help discussing An Old Castle Of Transylvania suite at first when we talk about the debut album by COSMOS FACTORY. There are not any brilliant hope or happiness to live at all, but dark, painful and depressive ground and sky. Tsutomu Izumi was the songwriter of this suite - for the first listening, I wondered what he was aiming at. Again and again I've listened to it, and now I can realize he should draw the picture of his death, as a dark castle in the deep forest - which could not get any bright glimmer.

The first part Forest Of The Death is just right for the depressive story. Loud, heavy and repetitive sounds with keyboards, guitars and drums - slightly heavy symphonic style rather than psychedelic one - can exactly sound as if zombies shouting loudly get up and come here one after another! Particularly Tsutomu's keyboard sounds can remind us the darkest Sodom. Terrible...no, terrific ones! The Cursed has so melancholic voices and hearts. By the zombies, people should be cursed in the bloody river under the dead forest. Even if morning comes in the castle, and even if devils fall asleep, Darkness Of The World should be on...real morning will NEVER come into An Old Castle Of Transylvania, the last part of the suite. What a sadness, what a depression! We might not be saved anymore, might we?

Apologize for the discussion in reverse order... The first 5 short pieces are also great. With full of keyboard or mellotron sounds, almost all of Japanese rock bands in those days cannot play. Tsutomu's sensation can be shot absolutely with his another organ. Namely, the keyboard is his heart or his brain. Shinwa (Maybe) is a only song composed not by Tsutomu and (at least) I can feel this is also a only song with a hopeful development of life (though the lyric is about a lonely man - myself).

How can I explain about this great album? Heavily symphonic psychedelia? How do you feel? Please listen to it and let me know. :-)

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#223206) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by Sagichim
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars This is just the beginning!

Where some bands realease a very good debut which they can't follow , other bands release a debut which only shows the band's potential which is being fully fulfilled in the next few releases. cosmos factory belongs to that second category that had to release a debut before reaching to the point of full development., not that it's a bad release god forbid...i heard far worse releases

Songs are not that progressive but more like rocky psychedelic 4 minutes long songs. i like it but it's nothing special either , thinking of other great releases that time. songs are sung in japanese which is nice , doesn't hurt your ear.. guitar sound is with heavy distortion , the riffs are slow too , there are actually no great solos either but good guitar parts and riffs. the overall sound is not rich , the rocky parts pretty much sound the same althought there are keys involved. i like their rockiness but it's the soft ballad 'soft focus' which really does it for me . clean beautiful vocals ( i can't understand a word ) with that piano and some kind of beautiful mandoline really good. 'an old castle of transylvania' is an epic divided in 4 parts , the music is still slow but there is a sense of an epic , not the greatest but it has it's moments , slightly better than the rest of the album. finally you can hear that there is a keyboard player over there , composition flows better and the guitar has more room , there is more space for every body to develop better.

The next album see the band develop a lot more , both in composition and in sound , but it's the third 'black hole' where they are kicking some serious butts!! my rating is 3.2 , nice debut but not the best place to start with this band.

Send comments to Sagichim (BETA) | Report this review (#636929) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 21, 2012

4 stars Here is my review..''Soundtrack 1984'',about 3.5 minutes long,is a space-rock guitar song,with swirling keyboards.''Maybe'',about 6 minutes long,is a melodic rocker,with a blues edge to it.''Soft Focus'',a little over 3.5 minutes long,is a piano ballad,with beautiful vocals.''Fantastic Mirror' ... (read more)

Report this review (#112093) | Posted by jasonpw. | Wednesday, February 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What can even be said about this album? Their 1973 certified classic. One of the best I've ever heard from Japan. Dark, haunting progressive rock drenched in gorgeous melodies. Features the absolutely fantastic guitar work of Hirashi Mizutani. I like the opening track but it's really on track ... (read more)

Report this review (#39478) | Posted by | Friday, July 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I find this album a bit unbalanced and unsatisfying on the whole, but it certainly has some great moments. My complaint is that there are few tracks that are great all the way through. Lots of styles are present, from harder rock, to spacey & ominous Moogy prog, to more commercial-leaning ball ... (read more)

Report this review (#26969) | Posted by harry's toenail | Friday, August 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of COSMOS FACTORY "An Old Castle of Transylvania "