CHILDREN OF GOD

1. New Mind (5:13)
2. In My Garden (5:34)
3. Our Love Lies (5:50)
4. Sex, God, Sex (6:49)
5. Blood and Honey (4:46)
6. Like a Drug (Sha La La La) (5:36)
7. You're Not Real, Girl (4:21)
8. Beautiful Child (5:16)
9. Blackmail (3:34)
10. Trust Me (5:23)
11. Real Love (6:23)
12. Blind Love (7:46)
13. Children of God (4:34)

Search SWANS Children of God lyrics

Search SWANS Children of God tabs

- Michael Gira / vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar, album cover concept and design, production
- Jarboe / vocals, backing vocals, piano, keyboards
- N. Westberg - electric guitar, acoustic guitar
- Theodore Parsons - drums, percussion

Additional personnel:

- Simon Fraser / flute on "In My Garden"
- Audrey Riley / cello on "Like a Drug (Sha La La La)"
- Lindsay Cooper / oboe on "Blackmail" and "Trust Me"
- William Barnhardt / piano on "Blackmail"

Caroline Records 1987 Studio Album

Thanks to The Truth for the addition

SWANS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SWANS Children of God Music

YOUNG GOD 2012
Great AnnihilatorGreat Annihilator
Remastered
YOUNG GOD 2002
My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the SkyMy Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
YOUNG GOD 2010
Filth/Body to Body, Job to JobFilth/Body to Body, Job to Job
YOUNG GOD 2000
NICK CAVE "The Singer" TOM WAITS Morrissey PJ HARVEY Jacques Brel POGUES Swans US $5.50 [3 bids]
Sufjan Stevens Seven Swans CD - Like New US $13.95 Buy It Now 3h 38m
MANUEL TUR - SWANS REFLECTING ELEPHANTS NEW CD US $25.32 Buy It Now 7h 27m
886977350023 Joe Satriani Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards Audio CD - 11 Tracks US $11.89 Buy It Now 7h 29m
JOY AND THE LOVELESS ballet of black swans 12" 3 trk with letter, picture and pr US $11.34 Buy It Now 9h 24m
NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS "The Mercy Seat / New Day" 7" (UK Press) NM/EX Swans US $13.71 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $19.21 Buy It Now 10h 8m
SWANS Love Will Save You UK 4 track promo sampler +A4 biog sheets 1991 ex US $24.88 Buy It Now 10h 33m
JOE SATRIANI BLACK SWANS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $149.36 Buy It Now 11h 46m
SWANS WAY illuminations 12" 2 trk extended pleasure b/w instrumental (ph512) pic US $8.28 Buy It Now 13h 2m
SWANS WAY soul train 12" 3 trk 7 mix promo (ext312dj) uk exit 1984" US $8.28 Buy It Now 13h 2m
SWANS- RARE ORIG VINTAGE 1988 CONCERT POSTER/GIG FLYER-NO WAVE-MICHAEL GIRA-kbd US $7.99 Buy It Now 13h 39m
SCRAPING FOETUS Bedrock 12" Lydia Lunch JG Thirwell SWANS Sonic YOUth US $8.99 [0 bids]
LUNCH, LYDIA - RETROVIRUS RED VINYL -NEW RELEASE SEALED MP3 EX SWANS,SONIC YOUTH US $24.99 [0 bids]
YELLOW SWANS & BIRCHVILLE CAT MOTEL NEW CD US $19.21 Buy It Now 15h 8m
This Is Hell / Cancer Bats Split Comeback Kid Dead Swans Endwell Set Your Goals US $9.99 [1 bids]
THE BLACK SWANS Who Will Walk in the Darkness With You? CD 2004 Moody Folk Rock US $7.49 Buy It Now 15h 37m
I'll See Swans Northward Flying [CD New] US $34.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
DINGUS KHAN - SUPPORT MISTLEY SWANS - NEW CD US $14.78 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Skin Blood, Women, Roses Vinyl LP 1987 Original VG OOP Swans Gira US $35.00 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Karma "God Is Mine" CD Jarboe Swans Tribal Neofolk Ambient Psycho Industrial US $4.00 [0 bids]
OM - "God Is Good" LP drag city sleep swans hawkwind psych rock GYBE sunn US $16.00 Buy It Now 17h 5m
I'LL SEE SWANS NORTHWARD FLYING / VAR NEW CD US $45.55 Buy It Now 17h 12m
DOVE YELLOW SWANS Live During War Crimes CD noise/drone/improv rock skullflower US $13.98 Buy It Now 18h 5m
v/a plow lp sonic youth w/lydia lunch swans wiseblood live skull copulation US $19.99 [0 bids]
DOVE YELLOW SWANS Live During War Crimes II CD noise/drone/improv skullflower US $13.98 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Prong Force Fed LP VG+/EX 1987 Original Swans Overkill Anthrax Motorhead US $22.00 Buy It Now 18h 9m
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $6.49 Buy It Now 18h 11m
The Black Swans, Occasion For Song; 12 tracks, CD ADV US $4.49 Buy It Now 18h 18m
FREE CASCADIA Portland rare promo only folk CD red76 TJO yellow swans au etap VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
SWANS "To Be Kind" 3xLP (w/Download & Poster) - SIGNED BY M. GIRA - NEW! US $39.99 [0 bids]
TERRY LEE PRESENTS-T L SOUND-WHEELS/CLICKETTES/SENIORS/ORCHIDS/SWANS..VG+/VG+ LP US $9.98 Buy It Now 19h 30m
JARBOE Mahakali CD DIGIPACK ex-Swans A Storm Of Light Phil Anselmo AVANT ROCK US $13.98 Buy It Now 19h 41m
Larsen "Rever" CD Michael Gira Swans Avant Garde Experimental Rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
Swans Way - Soul Train 12" Single 1984 US $41.49 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Sleepwalkers - Swans Dead New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.67 Buy It Now 20h 51m
FOETUS CORRUPTUS Rife 2 LP PICTURE DISC *RARE* Jim Thrilwell INDUSTRIAL Swans US $72.99 Buy It Now 20h 53m
SCRAPING FOETUS Bedrock 12" Lydia Lunch JG Thirwell SWANS Sonic YOUth US $12.99 [0 bids]
YELLOW SWANS - BRING THE NEON WAR HOME NEW CD US $19.61 Buy It Now 22h 17m
GABRIEL SALOMAN Adhere LP NEW VINYL Miasmah Yellow Swans US $25.99 Buy It Now 23h 24m
YELLOW SWANS Live In The Police State Capitol LP Weird Forest experimental noise US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
YELLOW SWANS Against Sleep And Nightmare LP Weird Forest experimental noise US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MURPHEY Swans Against the Sun WHITE LABEL PROMO US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LP record...A Viking Recorded Book...The Summer of the Swans US $2.00 [0 bids]
Swans - Feel Good Now 2x LP Vinyl w/ big poster (Free Shipping) US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS anonymous bodies in an empty room RARE live LP GIRA jarboe ANGELS OF LIGHT US $199.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS WAY the anchor/keeping it strong PH 31 uk balgier 1984 US $11.60 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MURPHEY swans against the sun EPC 69224 uk epic 1975 LP PS EX/EX sos US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MURPHEY - SWANS AGAINST THE SUN US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
At All Ends by Yellow Swans (CD, Oct-2007, Load Records) US $0.01 [0 bids]
KORPERSCHWACHE Stairway To Hell 3" CDR blackened drone rock skullflower swans US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans CD 1994 Futurist Anathema Paradise Lost US $44.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans Way 12" When The Wild Calls/Hangover 1984 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans - The Seer (NEW 2CD+DVD) US $27.37 Buy It Now 1 day
EX COCAINE/YELLOW SWANS split LP OOP late-00's Not Not Fun indie Meat Puppets US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans Way(Vinyl LP)The Fugitive Kind-Phonogram-SWAN 1-UK-VG/VG- US $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans **To Be Kind **Brand New Triple Record LP Vinyl US $32.96 Buy It Now 1 day
TODAY IS THE DAY CD amrep unsane hammerhead swans helmet melvins neurosis coc US $4.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Japan+1) / 8 Track US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS WAY - ILLUMINATIONS - 12" SINGLE 45 RPM - UK IMPORT US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EXC 12"~SWANS~Greed~[Original 1987 US Issue]~[Indusctrial~Punk]~ US $29.90 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MURPHEY Swans Against The Sun LP OOP mid-70's country promo US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pete Swanson Pro Style LP vinyl record sealed yellow swans ambient skaters US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville Records US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Assorted Michael Gira, SWANS, Angels Of Light 4 CDS!!!!! NO RESERVE!!!!! US $39.99 [0 bids]
MICHAEL MURPHEY Blue Sky - Night Thunder / Swans Against the Sun. BGO CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans The Burning World LP sealed vinyl RE reissue US $25.98 Buy It Now 1 day
1 CENT CD Swans Against The Sun - Michael (Martin) Murphey COUNTRY US $0.55 [3 bids]
Bluemair - Swans in July - New 1990 ITI/Spindletop Jazz CD! US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans New Mind Flexi Disc RARE US $49.99 [0 bids]
Swans To Be Kind 3xLP sealed vinyl + mp3 download Angels of Light US $33.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MANUEL TUR - SWANS REFLECTING ELEPHANTS - NEW CD US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
pete swanson - yellow swans P. Swans - Untitled US $12.00 [0 bids]
The Wild Swans Promo LP- THE WILD SWANS US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Murphey...Swans Against the Sun...rare white label promo LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Murphey LP with original sleeve-SWANS AGAINST THE SUN US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Missing Foundation LP original Boredoms Throbbing Gristle Swans John Zorn US $29.99 [0 bids]
SWANS-SAVED US $7.00 [0 bids]
SWANS Not Here Not Now limited Ed 1/2000 "handmade" 2CD Signed w art US $69.99 [0 bids]
NAT KENDRICK SWANS MASHED POTATOES 7IN 45RPM INTL SHIP? VEB 40 ACL OFFERS? US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS: The Burning World VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! US $22.48 Buy It Now 1 day
speed trials No Wave Compilation Sonic Youth Beastie Boys Swans The Fall US $14.00 [0 bids]
12 Psych/Out There CDS: Kula Shaker,Arborea,Tangle Edge,Swans,Pan American,Etc. US $9.95 [0 bids]
The Wild Swans - Brining Home The Ashes Cassette Tape US $0.99 [0 bids]
MICHAEL MURPHY SWANS AGAINST THE SUN EPIC 1975 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BLACKOUTS History In Reverse PROMO ADVANCE CD Post Punk MINISTRY swans kmfdm K US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE SWANS - Boy With the Beatle Haircut/Please Hurry Home CAMEO 45 EX+ US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mega Rare Singapore The Swans Band Instrumental Music Retro Psych 12" CLP2214 US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Singapore The Swans Band & His Folk Instrumental Music G/F 12" LP CLP2218 US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEPTION BAY "My Color Flag" LP goth/post punk/For Against/Killing Joke/SWANS US $9.00 [0 bids]
Going Places Yellow Swans Audio CD US $26.67 Buy It Now 2 days
MICHAEL MURPHEY Swans Against The Sun LP NM- In Shrink US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rat at Rat R is Dead Long Live Glenn Branca Nico Sonic Youth Swans Noise Punk VG US $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Living End If You Still Glenn Branca Sonic Youth Swans Sealed Noise Post Punk NM US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
River Swans - Horizontal (CD 2000) - 24HR POST!! US $11.60 Buy It Now 2 days
PITCHSHIFTER psi CD SEALED industrial godflesh swans ministry nine inch nails US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MERZBOW 13 Japanese Birds Part Four CD Neurosis Swans Boredoms / Important 2009 US $21.58 Buy It Now 2 days
NNCK billy bao YELLOW SWANS hive mind TETUZI AKIYAMA astral social club 2CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
YELLOW SWANS global clone CD NEW wolf eyes double leopards burning star core US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
YELLOW SWANS war crimes #2 NEW CD wolf eyes double leopards burning star core US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy SWANS music online Buy SWANS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SWANS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SWANS Children of God ratings distribution

SWANS Children of God reviews

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars The 'prog' versus 'progressive' label has never hit home to me more than this release. Children Of God, to me, is not only one of the best albums I've ever heard, but also one of the most important in regards to my own development as a fan of rock music itself. Decades later, there's been no shortage of bands incorporating styles akin to certain tracks off this album and even developing them further, but back in 1987 this release was such a unique beast for its time, equal parts beautiful and monstrous...unlike anything I was used to.

The most obvious development of the band at this point was the increase in Jarboe's presence vocally, as well as the haunting ballads interspersed throughout the album. Heavy industrial sounding monolith "New Mind" is followed by the ethereal yet eventually eerie piece "In My Garden", proclaiming this album to be an experience in which how the next track will sound would be anyone's guess. I was hooked by this point during my inception by this time.

There are two different versions of "Our Love Lies" that I know of, in which the original heavy bluesy Caroline Records version that I own on cassette is superior to the more folksy version found on re-releases. Hopefully, subsequent re-releases will retrieve the original version to its rightful place within this album.

About the instrumentation...it's perfect in establishing a mood in an almost trance-like way, not as something to scrutinize technically. That isn't important here, but the compositions themselves are worthy of praise for their unsettling nature. From the haunting creepiness of the Jarboe sung "Blood And Honey" to the ferocious pulpit bombast of "Beautiful Child" to the tranquil beauty of "Blackmail", there's such variety of sounds and ideas going on while maintaining an almost singular theme that its almost hard to believe that the band were able to pull this off without coming across like a band in transition. They weren't. SWANS were on fire at this point. Just about everything mattered, with only "Like A Drug" being a bit off-putting to me, but not enough to lesson the overall power of this release and all of its sublime qualities.

In 1987 my musical interests had shifted so far away from the prog rock I was into during the early 80's to crossover thrash metal to such an extent that I was due for something different, and Children Of God was my catalyst. Not only did I embrace this album, I drifted into non-metal music that retained a gloomy aura and subsequently even branched out into delicate music in general as well as other forms of rock that I had ditched for a few years. Floyd became relevant again, and while I never stopped listening to metal...in fact I delved deeper to the more extreme side of things (in which early SWANS stuff arguably could be seen as an influence), my interest in progressive and experimental styles of music went ballistic in the late 80's and continues to this day.

Outside of my own personal growth, the merits of this album may be a little off-putting for some, but the creative aspects involved in this recording shouldn't be denied. Gira based his boisterous vocals on Southern preachers and the effects these fire and brimstone preaching types held over their congregation, and he pulls it off with aplomb, matched by Jarboe's unnerving vibrato.

Equal parts venomous and tranquil, Children Of God remains my favorite album of there's, and while each tune carries a sort of pin-pointed impact, as a whole this album captures a lot of emotions and atmosphere that very few have equaled in my own experience while growing up in the 80's, and it resonates strongly still whenever I feel the urge for the primal currents of power, fear, glory and destitution that surge throughout this opus. Whether it's essential or not is your decision, but to me it's a masterpiece regardless of whatever terminology of "progressive" one chooses to utilize.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#1207065) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Post a review of SWANS "Children of God"