CHILDREN OF GOD

1. New Mind (5:13)
2. In My Garden (5:34)
3. Our Love Lies (5:50)
4. Sex, God, Sex (6:49)
5. Blood and Honey (4:46)
6. Like a Drug (Sha La La La) (5:36)
7. You're Not Real, Girl (4:21)
8. Beautiful Child (5:16)
9. Blackmail (3:34)
10. Trust Me (5:23)
11. Real Love (6:23)
12. Blind Love (7:46)
13. Children of God (4:34)

Search SWANS Children of God lyrics

Search SWANS Children of God tabs

- Michael Gira / vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar, album cover concept and design, production
- Jarboe / vocals, backing vocals, piano, keyboards
- N. Westberg - electric guitar, acoustic guitar
- Theodore Parsons - drums, percussion

Additional personnel:

- Simon Fraser / flute on "In My Garden"
- Audrey Riley / cello on "Like a Drug (Sha La La La)"
- Lindsay Cooper / oboe on "Blackmail" and "Trust Me"
- William Barnhardt / piano on "Blackmail"

Caroline Records 1987 Studio Album

Thanks to The Truth for the addition

SWANS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SWANS Children of God Music

Young God 2014
Vinyl$17.98
The Burning WorldThe Burning World
Water 2012
Psychic TV PTV3 Mr Alien Brain vs The Skinwalkers 2xLP michael gira swans US $40.00 [0 bids]
44m 57s
Going Places Yellow Swans Audio CD US $25.84 Buy It Now 1h 38m
RARE 12" 45/33 SWANS Time is Money (Bastard) Skin A+ NM NEAR MINT FREE US SHIPP US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Wild Swans : Space Flower CD (1990) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h
KATS-CHERNIN, ELENA - ELENA KATS-CHERNIN: WILD SWANS - NEW CD US $15.35 Buy It Now 3h 30m
LP record...A Viking Recorded Book...The Summer of the Swans US $2.00 [0 bids]
RARE Jarboe Thirteen Masks 13 LP record Swans Skin Foetus 1991 MINT VINYL US $11.99 [0 bids]
LOTUS EATERS First Picture of You BBC Recordings CD RARE Like New WILD SWANS US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
SWANS Time Is Money (Bastard) ORIG VINYL 12" K.422 goth industrial 1985 synth EP US $69.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
My Dying Bride Turn Loose The Swans digipack CD 2003 used NM / NM Peaceville US $8.10 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Galleons - Swans NEW CD EP US $14.47 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Swans - Filth LP 1983 Angels of Light Michael Gira Zensor ND O3 Neutral US $72.50 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Joe Satriani - Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards CD NEW US $18.86 Buy It Now 6h 14m
LISTEN - UK PRESS - GIRLS GROUP - THE SWANS -THE BOY WITH THE BEATLE HAIR-PLEASE US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Seer, Swans, New Special Edition US $19.24 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Who Will Walk in the Darkness With You, Black Swans, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
YELLOW SWANS - AT ALL ENDS - NEW CD US $15.11 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Bluemair- Swans in July- new/sealed cassette tape US $1.00 Buy It Now 10h 54m
The Black Swans Occasion for Song New and Sealed 2 vinyl RSD LP US $16.55 Buy It Now 10h 59m
SWANS - The Seer (reissue) - 2xCD US $23.72 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Mega Rare Singapore The Swans Band Instrumental Music Retro Psych 12" CLP2214 US $34.99 Buy It Now 11h 52m
Swans - Seer (2014) US $23.48 Buy It Now 12h
Singapore The Swans Band & His Folk Instrumental Music G/F 12" LP CLP2218 US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h
Michael Martin Murphey - Blue Sky-Night Thunder/Swans Against The Sun CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 12h 6m
SWANS - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T2) US $11.18 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Black Swans - DonT Blame The Stars CD US $16.14 Buy It Now 12h 31m
Black Swans - Occasion For Song CD US $15.33 Buy It Now 12h 31m
PRONG Rude Awakening CD PROMO Fear Factory Swans Helmet Quicksand Killing Joke US $8.85 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Manuel Tur - Swans Reflecting Elephants CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 12h 37m
SONIC YOUTH / BILL / RUSSELL SWANS - KITCHEN ARCHIVES 3: AMPLIFIED NEW NEW CD US $24.30 Buy It Now 12h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS - CDVILED39 US $14.02 Buy It Now 13h 19m
LUSTMORD The Word As Power Swans Jarboe NEW sealed limited record US $31.89 Buy It Now 14h 31m
THE SWANS ~ IN THE MORNING rare DOO WOP on STEAMBOAT clean NM- re US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 42m
Horizon 222 - The Three Of Swans - UK CD US $21.49 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Dance Of The Swans - Melodies That Will Live Forever (Cassette, 1992) US $4.49 Buy It Now 14h 52m
SWANS My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky Vinyl LP 2014 NEW US $32.08 Buy It Now 15h 13m
METHADRONE Better Living CD Swans Angels Of Light Womb Laibach Fall Of Because US $4.81 [0 bids]
METHADRONE / fragment. Astray Nadja Womb Swans Jesu Disciples of Mockery Evoken US $4.81 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS 1rst PRESS 1993 CDVILE 39 US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Swans 'To Be Kind' new sealed 3x (triple) LP Michael Gira with MP3 download US $38.99 [0 bids]
Northern Soul - Idols / Swans - Just a Little Bit More - Reveille US $10.00 [1 bids]
THE WILD SWANS ORIGINAL CD IAN BROUDIE THE PLATINUM COL US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 41m
JOE SATRIANI - BLACK SWANS AND WORMHOLE WIZARDS - NEW CD US $7.61 Buy It Now 16h 44m
Dreamed Yellow Swans EP CD 2002 dLTD011 PACrec110 Drone Noise Experimental Duo US $4.49 Buy It Now 17h 22m
The River Swans - Big People Small Balloon - UK CD Single US $4.87 Buy It Now 17h 33m
CARE / THE WILD SWANS My Boyish Days UK 12" (1983) US $4.82 [1 bids]
Swans Way - The Fugitive Kind ~ Expanded Edition - CRPOP112 US $13.75 Buy It Now 17h 43m
Dingus Khan - Support Mistley Swans - NONG80CD US $16.60 Buy It Now 17h 44m
CARE / THE WILD SWANS Whatever Possessed You UK 12" (1983) US $4.82 [1 bids]
SWANS WAY The Fugitive Kind LP Vinyl Record Keeping It Strong The Anchor Blade US $21.99 Buy It Now 17h 53m
Turn Loose the Swans CD US $16.03 Buy It Now 17h 56m
Mouthus & Yellow Swans Conan Island LP NEW Vinyl Sealed US $12.89 Buy It Now 19h 8m
MICHAEL MARTIN MURPHEY Swans Against The Sun LP Charlie Daniels Willie Nelson US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 22m
MICHAEL MURPHEY -SWANS AGANIST THE SUN country LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 19h 33m
Swans - Saved - Original 1989 MCA Release - Exc Condition US $16.08 [0 bids]
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun LP PE-33851 NM- Vinyl US $3.30 Buy It Now 20h 18m
THE WILD SWANS - SPACE FLOWER - LP - 1990 - M- VINYL - INDIE LOTUS EATERS US $12.85 [0 bids]
NAT KENDRICK / THE SWANS - NAT KENDRICK & THE SWANS NEW CD US $15.65 Buy It Now 20h 48m
SWANS-45 RPM PROMO RECORD-CAMEO 302-THE BOY WITH THE BEATLE HAIR New Version US $6.95 [0 bids]
DOVE YELLOW SWANS - LIVE DURING WAR CRIMES-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Black Swans, Occasion For Song; 12 tracks, CD ADV US $4.49 Buy It Now 22h 5m
WILD SWANS: Music And Talk From Liverpool LP (small toc) Rock & Pop US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 25m
Sister Machine Gun - Addiction CD single industrial KMFDM Wax Trax! Swans 1992 US $1.99 [0 bids]
Swans The Seer 3xLP sealed vinyl + poster + download card Michael Gira US $32.98 Buy It Now 23h 6m
Sufjan Stevens SEVEN SWANS CD 1st PRESS USA Sounds Familyre SF 013 ACOUSTIC ROCK US $5.99 [0 bids]
Jarboe Beast Picture Disc The Swans Rare US $37.50 [0 bids]
YELLOW SWANS - AT ALL ENDS LP RARE LTD. EDITION Noise Drone Spiral Joy Band Pelt US $14.99 [0 bids]
Wolf Eyes/Yellow Swans/Dead Machines/Double Leopards/Hive Mind CD + magazine US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PETE SWANSON 'Ghost O'Clock' Tape (Yellow Swans, Ensemble Economique) US $5.00 [0 bids]
KPLR 'Psykosis Induktor' Tape (Pete Swanson, James Ferraro, Yellow Swans) US $5.00 [0 bids]
12 Psych/Out There CDS: Kula Shaker,Arborea,Tangle Edge,Swans,Pan American,Etc. US $9.95 [0 bids]
SWANS - MY FATHER WILL GUIDE ME UP A ROPE TO THE SKY [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "Turn loose the swans" 1993 on Peaceville US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Black Swans: Don't Blame The Stars LP US $13.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans - Various Failures CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans - Seer CD US $22.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Nat & The Swans Kendrick - Nat Kendrick & The Swans CD US $13.75 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 3690-3 US $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Yellow Swans - At All Ends CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 1 day
LISTEN - RNB GROOVE POPCORN - NAT KENDRICK & SWANS - DISH RAG PART 1 + PART2 US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SWANS - OCCASION FOR SONG NEW CD US $17.44 Buy It Now 1 day
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Epic NM US $4.35 Buy It Now 1 day
My True Love / Ain't Like That No More Swans Doo Wop Lost-Nite 1954 near mint US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Do The Mash Potatoes by Nat Kendricks & Swans Funk Trip 1960 near mint US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS WAY - 7"Single-Illuminations, EX+ US $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans Way(Vinyl LP)The Fugitive Kind-Phonogram-SWAN 1-UK-VG/VG- US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky LP 8 Track Reissue With Pic I US $34.72 Buy It Now 1 day
SUFJAN STEVENS Seven Swans LP 12 Track Original With Insert Sleeve Has Dent In O US $60.97 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS Burning World LP 10 Track Repress Of 1989 Album, With Inner Sleeve (if26) US $40.51 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS Seer LP 14 Track Triple Lp With Poster In Double Gatefold Sleeve Has Creas US $49.65 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS WAY Fugitive Kind LP 10 Track Test Pressing (swan1) UK Balgier 1984 US $19.59 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS WAY Fugitive Kind LP 10 Track With Pasted Image Sleeve Design With Inner S US $8.43 Buy It Now 1 day
The Lightning Seeds Tilt SEALED Orig 1999 UK CD The La's Wild Swans Big in Japan US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
3 Michael MurpheyLPs- Swans Against Sun, Blue Sky Night thunder, Cosmic Cowboy US $1.89 [0 bids]
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun LP PE-33851 VG+ Vinyl US $2.75 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS 'The Burning World' 2014 Reissue Vinyl LP NEW/SEALED m gira jarboe US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dingus Khan - Support Mistley Swans (NEW CD) US $16.47 Buy It Now 1 day
DINGUS KHAN - Support Mistley Swans. new UK 10 track CD album (Fierce Panda) US $4.33 [0 bids]
PETE SWANSON Punk Authority LP NEW VINYL Software Yellow Swans Type US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists-Speed Trails LP, US, Used, 1983, Beastie Boys, Fall, Swans, etc. US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SWANS music online Buy SWANS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SWANS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SWANS Children of God ratings distribution

SWANS Children of God reviews

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars The 'prog' versus 'progressive' label has never hit home to me more than this release. Children Of God, to me, is not only one of the best albums I've ever heard, but also one of the most important in regards to my own development as a fan of rock music itself. Decades later, there's been no shortage of bands incorporating styles akin to certain tracks off this album and even developing them further, but back in 1987 this release was such a unique beast for its time, equal parts beautiful and monstrous...unlike anything I was used to.

The most obvious development of the band at this point was the increase in Jarboe's presence vocally, as well as the haunting ballads interspersed throughout the album. Heavy industrial sounding monolith "New Mind" is followed by the ethereal yet eventually eerie piece "In My Garden", proclaiming this album to be an experience in which how the next track will sound would be anyone's guess. I was hooked by this point during my inception by this time.

There are two different versions of "Our Love Lies" that I know of, in which the original heavy bluesy Caroline Records version that I own on cassette is superior to the more folksy version found on re-releases. Hopefully, subsequent re-releases will retrieve the original version to its rightful place within this album.

About the instrumentation...it's perfect in establishing a mood in an almost trance-like way, not as something to scrutinize technically. That isn't important here, but the compositions themselves are worthy of praise for their unsettling nature. From the haunting creepiness of the Jarboe sung "Blood And Honey" to the ferocious pulpit bombast of "Beautiful Child" to the tranquil beauty of "Blackmail", there's such variety of sounds and ideas going on while maintaining an almost singular theme that its almost hard to believe that the band were able to pull this off without coming across like a band in transition. They weren't. SWANS were on fire at this point. Just about everything mattered, with only "Like A Drug" being a bit off-putting to me, but not enough to lesson the overall power of this release and all of its sublime qualities.

In 1987 my musical interests had shifted so far away from the prog rock I was into during the early 80's to crossover thrash metal to such an extent that I was due for something different, and Children Of God was my catalyst. Not only did I embrace this album, I drifted into non-metal music that retained a gloomy aura and subsequently even branched out into delicate music in general as well as other forms of rock that I had ditched for a few years. Floyd became relevant again, and while I never stopped listening to metal...in fact I delved deeper to the more extreme side of things (in which early SWANS stuff arguably could be seen as an influence), my interest in progressive and experimental styles of music went ballistic in the late 80's and continues to this day.

Outside of my own personal growth, the merits of this album may be a little off-putting for some, but the creative aspects involved in this recording shouldn't be denied. Gira based his boisterous vocals on Southern preachers and the effects these fire and brimstone preaching types held over their congregation, and he pulls it off with aplomb, matched by Jarboe's unnerving vibrato.

Equal parts venomous and tranquil, Children Of God remains my favorite album of there's, and while each tune carries a sort of pin-pointed impact, as a whole this album captures a lot of emotions and atmosphere that very few have equaled in my own experience while growing up in the 80's, and it resonates strongly still whenever I feel the urge for the primal currents of power, fear, glory and destitution that surge throughout this opus. Whether it's essential or not is your decision, but to me it's a masterpiece regardless of whatever terminology of "progressive" one chooses to utilize.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#1207065) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Post a review of SWANS "Children of God"