CHILDREN OF GOD

1. New Mind (5:13)
2. In My Garden (5:34)
3. Our Love Lies (5:50)
4. Sex, God, Sex (6:49)
5. Blood and Honey (4:46)
6. Like a Drug (Sha La La La) (5:36)
7. You're Not Real, Girl (4:21)
8. Beautiful Child (5:16)
9. Blackmail (3:34)
10. Trust Me (5:23)
11. Real Love (6:23)
12. Blind Love (7:46)
13. Children of God (4:34)

Search SWANS Children of God lyrics

Search SWANS Children of God tabs

- Michael Gira / vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar, album cover concept and design, production
- Jarboe / vocals, backing vocals, piano, keyboards
- N. Westberg - electric guitar, acoustic guitar
- Theodore Parsons - drums, percussion

Additional personnel:

- Simon Fraser / flute on "In My Garden"
- Audrey Riley / cello on "Like a Drug (Sha La La La)"
- Lindsay Cooper / oboe on "Blackmail" and "Trust Me"
- William Barnhardt / piano on "Blackmail"

Caroline Records 1987 Studio Album

Thanks to The Truth for the addition

SWANS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SWANS Children of God Music

Children of God / World of SkinChildren of God / World of Skin
Remastered
YOUNG GOD 2003
Children Of GodChildren Of God
Caroline / Product 1990
Children of God/World of Skin, Swans, New Original recording remastered, O USD $17.43 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS Children Of God 1987 UK vinyl 2 lp VG+/VG+ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Swans ?- Children Of God vol.2 - Cassette, Made In Poland USD $24.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Swans - Children of God - 2xLP Vinyl First Press - NM!!! SIGNED!!! Amazing!!! USD $169.00 Buy It Now 5 days
SWANS "CHILDREN OF GOD" CAROLINE RECORDS CD 1346 US MADE 1987 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
SWANS- FILTH VINYL LP- IN SHRINK NM LIMITED EDITION CLEAR VINYL CHILDREN OF GOD USD $59.99 Buy It Now 9 days
SWANS - CHILDREN OF GOD / WORLD OF SKIN NEW CD USD $21.74 Buy It Now 10 days
Children of God/World of Skin by Swans (CD, May-2003, 2 Discs, Young God... USD $14.15 Buy It Now 13 days
SWANS - CHILDREN OF GOD/WORLD OF SKIN - NEW CD BOXSET USD $14.12 Buy It Now 14 days
SKIN Blood Women Roses Vinyl LP+ Jarboe Poster SWANS Children of God To Be Kind USD $32.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SWANS:Children of God-WOS,NEW,2CD,2010,Young God,Rock,Experimental/Avant-garde, USD $17.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Swans - Children Of God 2LP Vinyl New wave Industrial USD $66.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Lot of 3 Swans CDs Super RARE Die Tür Ist Zu & 2CD Children of God/World of Skin USD $49.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Children of God / World of Skin, Swans, Good Import USD $21.12 Buy It Now 21 days
SWANS Children Of God / World Of Skin 2xCD JEWEL CASE post-punk/noise rock *NEW* USD $18.98 Buy It Now 24 days
Children Of God/World Of Skin - Swans (2003, CD New) USD $17.53 Buy It Now 24 days
Swans - Children Of God/World Of Skin CD USD $20.69 Buy It Now 25 days
Swans - Children Of God/World Of Skin [CD New] USD $16.90 Buy It Now 27 days
Children of God/world of Skin - Swans New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $23.00 Buy It Now 27 days
SWANS CHILDREN OF GOD 2 LP GATEFOLD SLEEVE WITH INNERS 1987 33PROD17 USD $77.79 Buy It Now 29 days
LP the burning world ~ USD $31.01

More places to buy SWANS music online Buy SWANS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SWANS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SWANS Children of God ratings distribution

SWANS Children of God reviews

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars The 'prog' versus 'progressive' label has never hit home to me more than this release. Children Of God, to me, is not only one of the best albums I've ever heard, but also one of the most important in regards to my own development as a fan of rock music itself. Decades later, there's been no shortage of bands incorporating styles akin to certain tracks off this album and even developing them further, but back in 1987 this release was such a unique beast for its time, equal parts beautiful and monstrous...unlike anything I was used to.

The most obvious development of the band at this point was the increase in Jarboe's presence vocally, as well as the haunting ballads interspersed throughout the album. Heavy industrial sounding monolith "New Mind" is followed by the ethereal yet eventually eerie piece "In My Garden", proclaiming this album to be an experience in which how the next track will sound would be anyone's guess. I was hooked by this point during my inception by this time.

There are two different versions of "Our Love Lies" that I know of, in which the original heavy bluesy Caroline Records version that I own on cassette is superior to the more folksy version found on re-releases. Hopefully, subsequent re-releases will retrieve the original version to its rightful place within this album.

About the instrumentation...it's perfect in establishing a mood in an almost trance-like way, not as something to scrutinize technically. That isn't important here, but the compositions themselves are worthy of praise for their unsettling nature. From the haunting creepiness of the Jarboe sung "Blood And Honey" to the ferocious pulpit bombast of "Beautiful Child" to the tranquil beauty of "Blackmail", there's such variety of sounds and ideas going on while maintaining an almost singular theme that its almost hard to believe that the band were able to pull this off without coming across like a band in transition. They weren't. SWANS were on fire at this point. Just about everything mattered, with only "Like A Drug" being a bit off-putting to me, but not enough to lesson the overall power of this release and all of its sublime qualities.

In 1987 my musical interests had shifted so far away from the prog rock I was into during the early 80's to crossover thrash metal to such an extent that I was due for something different, and Children Of God was my catalyst. Not only did I embrace this album, I drifted into non-metal music that retained a gloomy aura and subsequently even branched out into delicate music in general as well as other forms of rock that I had ditched for a few years. Floyd became relevant again, and while I never stopped listening to metal...in fact I delved deeper to the more extreme side of things (in which early SWANS stuff arguably could be seen as an influence), my interest in progressive and experimental styles of music went ballistic in the late 80's and continues to this day.

Outside of my own personal growth, the merits of this album may be a little off-putting for some, but the creative aspects involved in this recording shouldn't be denied. Gira based his boisterous vocals on Southern preachers and the effects these fire and brimstone preaching types held over their congregation, and he pulls it off with aplomb, matched by Jarboe's unnerving vibrato.

Equal parts venomous and tranquil, Children Of God remains my favorite album of there's, and while each tune carries a sort of pin-pointed impact, as a whole this album captures a lot of emotions and atmosphere that very few have equaled in my own experience while growing up in the 80's, and it resonates strongly still whenever I feel the urge for the primal currents of power, fear, glory and destitution that surge throughout this opus. Whether it's essential or not is your decision, but to me it's a masterpiece regardless of whatever terminology of "progressive" one chooses to utilize.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#1207065) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 08, 2014

5 stars This album sees a lot of improvement in the sound of Swans. There is still a lot of loud guitar, but it's not dirty and unrefined like the first albums. But it is till heavy, that is, when it is heavy. Now the Swans are branching out to explore other things. Swans is music in the extreme ... (read more)

Report this review (#1309778) | Posted by TCat | Sunday, November 16, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SWANS "Children of God"