CHILDREN OF GOD

1. New Mind (5:13)
2. In My Garden (5:34)
3. Our Love Lies (5:50)
4. Sex, God, Sex (6:49)
5. Blood and Honey (4:46)
6. Like a Drug (Sha La La La) (5:36)
7. You're Not Real, Girl (4:21)
8. Beautiful Child (5:16)
9. Blackmail (3:34)
10. Trust Me (5:23)
11. Real Love (6:23)
12. Blind Love (7:46)
13. Children of God (4:34)

Search SWANS Children of God lyrics

Search SWANS Children of God tabs

- Michael Gira / vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar, album cover concept and design, production
- Jarboe / vocals, backing vocals, piano, keyboards
- N. Westberg - electric guitar, acoustic guitar
- Theodore Parsons - drums, percussion

Additional personnel:

- Simon Fraser / flute on "In My Garden"
- Audrey Riley / cello on "Like a Drug (Sha La La La)"
- Lindsay Cooper / oboe on "Blackmail" and "Trust Me"
- William Barnhardt / piano on "Blackmail"

Caroline Records 1987 Studio Album

Thanks to The Truth for the addition

SWANS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SWANS Children of God Music

Universal UK 2010
Great AnnihilatorGreat Annihilator
Remastered
YOUNG GOD 2002
My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the SkyMy Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
YOUNG GOD 2010
Michael Martin Murphey - Blue Sky-Night Thunder/Swans Against The Sun CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 35m 51s
SWANS - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T2) US $11.80 Buy It Now 38m 33s
SONIC YOUTH / BILL / RUSSELL SWANS - KITCHEN ARCHIVES 3: AMPLIFIED NEW NEW CD US $26.00 Buy It Now 55m
Wild Swans (ACS) US $11.89 Buy It Now 58m 11s
Wild Swans (ACS) US $8.93 Buy It Now 58m 18s
Black Swans - DonT Blame The Stars CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 1h
Black Swans - Occasion For Song CD US $15.57 Buy It Now 1h
PRONG Rude Awakening CD PROMO Fear Factory Swans Helmet Quicksand Killing Joke US $9.34 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Manuel Tur - Swans Reflecting Elephants CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 1h 6m
COP SHOOT COP Vinyl 7" Noise Rock BARKMARKET Helmet UNSANE swans COWS prong US $8.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS - CDVILED39 US $15.29 Buy It Now 1h 48m
SWANS The Seer 2xCD+DVD DIGIPACK LIMITED EDITION jarboe avant-rock karen o. US $22.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
THE SWANS ~ IN THE MORNING rare DOO WOP on STEAMBOAT clean NM- re US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Bill Ryder Jones Wild Swans Promo CD Single US $2.12 Buy It Now 3h 14m
CD: Sleepwalkers - Dead Swans - Sealed US $22.47 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Michael Murphey 4 LP Lot Swans Against The Sun Lone Wolf Self Titled Flowing Fre US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
THE WILD SWANS ORIGINAL CD IAN BROUDIE THE PLATINUM COL US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Dreamed Yellow Swans EP CD 2002 dLTD011 PACrec110 Drone Noise Experimental Duo US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Swans Way - The Fugitive Kind ~ Expanded Edition - CRPOP112 US $14.33 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Dingus Khan - Support Mistley Swans - NONG80CD US $18.86 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Breach "Godbox" LP CLEAR /200 swans atlantean kodex converge US $14.99 [0 bids]
Mountain Man "Two" 12" WHITE /200 NO SLEEP SUBSCRIPTION SEALED swans neurosis LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Mouthus & Yellow Swans Conan Island LP NEW Vinyl Sealed US $12.89 Buy It Now 7h 37m
SWANS SWNAS ARE DEAD 2CD on Young God US $12.00 [0 bids]
MICHAEL MURPHEY -SWANS AGANIST THE SUN country LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Swans at Coole by Tilston, Steve US $14.00 Buy It Now 8h 45m
NAT KENDRICK / THE SWANS - NAT KENDRICK & THE SWANS NEW CD US $16.75 Buy It Now 8h 46m
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun LP PE-33851 NM- Vinyl US $3.30 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Michael Gira Jarboe ?Swans Related Project Drainland Cd Promo sampler Rare US $24.98 [0 bids]
SWANS ~ Children Of God ~ 2X LP Caroline Records CAROL-1346 - Jarboe - Gira :§:. US $89.00 [0 bids]
SWANS - MY FATHER WILL GUIDE ME UP A ROPE TO THE SKY NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Wolf Eyes/Yellow Swans/Dead Machines/Double Leopards/Hive Mind CD + magazine US $12.00 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Aug-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Don't Blame the Stars, The Black Swans, New US $13.58 Buy It Now 15h 51m
JOE SATRIANI - BLACK SWANS AND WORMHOLE WIZARDS + 2. JAPAN.OBI. NEW US $9.50 [3 bids]
Navigated Like the Swans, Young Moon, New US $13.22 Buy It Now 16h
Godflesh - Streetcleaner CD COMBAT/EARACHE OOP swans napalm death isis US $19.99 [0 bids]
(r) Pink CD Larsen side project Post Rock Important swans tortoise US $0.99 [0 bids]
POSTER - SCOTT KELLY & THE ROAD HOME (USA - Neurosis) and JARBOE (USA - Swans) US $9.40 [0 bids]
Nat & The Swans Kendrick - Nat Kendrick & The Swans CD US $13.75 Buy It Now 21h 41m
SWANS original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 3690-3 US $8.47 Buy It Now 23h 51m
Charlie Chan: Wild Swans (1998 CD Australian Jazz Electric Pandas Monique Brumby US $9.41 [0 bids]
BLACK SWANS - OCCASION FOR SONG NEW CD US $18.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Yellow Swans - At All Ends CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 1 day
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Epic NM US $4.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans Way(Vinyl LP)The Fugitive Kind-Phonogram-SWAN 1-UK-VG/VG- US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Murphey 3-LP Lot-Geronimo's Cadillac, Swans, Blue Sky Night Thunder- VG+ US $12.99 [0 bids]
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky [CD New] US $17.02 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS "Real Love" CD US $25.00 [0 bids]
1975 Michael Murphey Swans Against The Sun LP PE-33851 VG+ Vinyl US $2.75 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS 'The Burning World' 2014 Reissue Vinyl LP NEW/SEALED m gira jarboe US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dingus Khan - Support Mistley Swans (NEW CD) US $17.38 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MURPHEY, SWANS AGAINST THE SUN Vintage Vinyl LP US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PETE SWANSON Punk Authority LP NEW VINYL Software Yellow Swans Type US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BURMESE Colony Collapse Disorder 10" WHITEHOUSE/BRAINBOMBS/RUSTED SHUT/SWANS US $7.00 [0 bids]
Manuel Tur - Swans Reflecting Elephants NEW CD US $15.94 Buy It Now 1 day
The Wild Swans - Revolutionary Spirit / God Forbid UK 45 RPM 12" ZOO 12 CAGE 009 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frogmorton : White Swans : Philips 1976 7" US $10.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans: Burning World 12" US $26.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans Way - The Fugitive Kind - Expande NEW CD US $13.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Dingus Khan - Support Mistley Swans NEW CD US $14.90 Buy It Now 1 day
(EJ559) Bill Ryder Jones, Wild Swans - 2013 DJ CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MARTIN MURPHEY 1975 SWANS AGAINST THE SUN 8 Track Tape *TESTED US $0.75 [0 bids]
THE MOPING SWANS - LIGHTNINGHEAD TO COFFEEPOT-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Nat Kendrick & the Swans/Do the Mashed Potatoes Parts 1 & 2/Dade 1804/VG US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans - Seer [ 3XLP, Young God Records, NEW ] Einsturzende Neubauten - Low US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ROBEDOOR/HAUNTED CASTLE LP DEAD C/POCAHAUNTED/EMERALDS/GHQ/YELLOW SWANS US $8.00 [0 bids]
Michael Gira/Jarboe - Drainland/Sacrificial Cake Promo CD Sampler - Swans US $15.00 [0 bids]
Love of Life by Swans (CD, Mar-1992, Sky Records) US $37.00 [2 bids]
Love of Life [Single] by Swans (CD, 1992, Sky Records) US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Great Annihilator by Swans (CD, Jan-1995, Invisible) US $7.99 [1 bids]
Michael Murphy Swans Against the Sun LP US $5.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Swans - Children Of God/World Of Skin 2 Disc Set In Fold-Out Case US $10.50 [3 bids]
Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans (CD, Oct-1996, 2 Discs, Atavistic) US $15.00 [1 bids]
Kill the Child by Swans (CD, Mar-1996, Atavistic) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Real Love by Swans (CD, May-1996, Atavistic) US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Boy with the Beatle Hair - The Swans 1963 Vintage 45 Vinyl Record US $1.00 [1 bids]
Omniscience by Swans (CD, 1992, Young God) US $19.99 [1 bids]
Swans - White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity CD - RARE - EXCELLENT CONDITION US $40.00 [2 bids]
SWANS The Seer TRIPLE VINYL LP RECORD 3XLP YG45 NEW/SEALED punk filth cop crass US $28.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Michael Murphy Swans Against The Sun Peaks Valleys 12" LP CBS 1975 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Incandescent [Deluxe Book Version] by Wild Swans (Vinyl, Jul-2013, Vinyl 180) US $55.00 Buy It Now 1 day
I'Ll See Swans Northward Flying Var - Ill See Swans Northward Flying Var CD US $37.80 Buy It Now 1 day
WILD SWANS Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years + Space Flower 3xCD CARE LIGHTNING US $44.99 [0 bids]
Wild Swans - Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years Deluxe UK LP Vinyl Record US $58.41 Buy It Now 1 day
CD/Japan- TOP Emotion Lotion +1 bonus trk w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1991 - WILD SWANS US $12.74 Buy It Now 1 day
SWANS - The Seer - 3xLP + MP3 download code + poster US $45.66 Buy It Now 1 day
BIBLIOTEKA PROSPERO Sad: Zveri Oblaka CD UKRAINE Import SWANS NEW Sealed US $15.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Jarboe Beast Picture Disc The Swans Rare US $37.50 [0 bids]
Swans Celebrity Lifestyle,Mother Father Cd US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SWANS The Burning World re issue LP vinyl 2014 US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SAW THROAT Inde$troy LP industrial sludgecrust Sore Throat godflesh swans amebix US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky CD US $19.91 Buy It Now 2 days
THE WILD SWANS BRINGING HOME THE ASHES LP RECORD US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Public Castration Is a Good Idea by Swans (CD, Jul-1999, Thirsty Ear) 039 US $99.97 Buy It Now 2 days
OF SWINE AND SWILL s/t CD noise/industrial rock swans lustmord Murderous Vision US $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans CD 2003 Reissue Bonus Tracks CDVILED39 NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Ed Askew / Black Swans - My Best Friend / Nap split 7" new limited US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SWANS: He's Mine (oldies vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy SWANS music online Buy SWANS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SWANS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SWANS Children of God ratings distribution

SWANS Children of God reviews

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars The 'prog' versus 'progressive' label has never hit home to me more than this release. Children Of God, to me, is not only one of the best albums I've ever heard, but also one of the most important in regards to my own development as a fan of rock music itself. Decades later, there's been no shortage of bands incorporating styles akin to certain tracks off this album and even developing them further, but back in 1987 this release was such a unique beast for its time, equal parts beautiful and monstrous...unlike anything I was used to.

The most obvious development of the band at this point was the increase in Jarboe's presence vocally, as well as the haunting ballads interspersed throughout the album. Heavy industrial sounding monolith "New Mind" is followed by the ethereal yet eventually eerie piece "In My Garden", proclaiming this album to be an experience in which how the next track will sound would be anyone's guess. I was hooked by this point during my inception by this time.

There are two different versions of "Our Love Lies" that I know of, in which the original heavy bluesy Caroline Records version that I own on cassette is superior to the more folksy version found on re-releases. Hopefully, subsequent re-releases will retrieve the original version to its rightful place within this album.

About the instrumentation...it's perfect in establishing a mood in an almost trance-like way, not as something to scrutinize technically. That isn't important here, but the compositions themselves are worthy of praise for their unsettling nature. From the haunting creepiness of the Jarboe sung "Blood And Honey" to the ferocious pulpit bombast of "Beautiful Child" to the tranquil beauty of "Blackmail", there's such variety of sounds and ideas going on while maintaining an almost singular theme that its almost hard to believe that the band were able to pull this off without coming across like a band in transition. They weren't. SWANS were on fire at this point. Just about everything mattered, with only "Like A Drug" being a bit off-putting to me, but not enough to lesson the overall power of this release and all of its sublime qualities.

In 1987 my musical interests had shifted so far away from the prog rock I was into during the early 80's to crossover thrash metal to such an extent that I was due for something different, and Children Of God was my catalyst. Not only did I embrace this album, I drifted into non-metal music that retained a gloomy aura and subsequently even branched out into delicate music in general as well as other forms of rock that I had ditched for a few years. Floyd became relevant again, and while I never stopped listening to metal...in fact I delved deeper to the more extreme side of things (in which early SWANS stuff arguably could be seen as an influence), my interest in progressive and experimental styles of music went ballistic in the late 80's and continues to this day.

Outside of my own personal growth, the merits of this album may be a little off-putting for some, but the creative aspects involved in this recording shouldn't be denied. Gira based his boisterous vocals on Southern preachers and the effects these fire and brimstone preaching types held over their congregation, and he pulls it off with aplomb, matched by Jarboe's unnerving vibrato.

Equal parts venomous and tranquil, Children Of God remains my favorite album of there's, and while each tune carries a sort of pin-pointed impact, as a whole this album captures a lot of emotions and atmosphere that very few have equaled in my own experience while growing up in the 80's, and it resonates strongly still whenever I feel the urge for the primal currents of power, fear, glory and destitution that surge throughout this opus. Whether it's essential or not is your decision, but to me it's a masterpiece regardless of whatever terminology of "progressive" one chooses to utilize.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#1207065) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Post a review of SWANS "Children of God"