SPIRITUAL VERTIGO

Buy SONUS UMBRA Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Bone Machines (5:56)
2. Fool's Arcadia (8:40)
3. Man Of Anger And Light (4:18)
4. Fascinoma (7:10)
5. Self Erosion (6:03)
6. Amnesia Junkies Pt I (Pax Americana) (4:19)
7. Amnesia Junkies Pt II (Pax Iraelica) (3:42)
8. Timequake (5:31)
9. Rust In My Sleep (3:31)
10. Snakes And Ladders (10:58)

Search SONUS UMBRA Spiritual Vertigo lyrics

- Jeff Laramee / drums, vocals

Special Guests:
- Lisa Frances / vocals
- John Grant / additional lead guitars

The Sound of the Shadow (self-released)

SONUS UMBRA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SONUS UMBRA Spiritual Vertigo Music

Snapshots From LimboSnapshots From Limbo
Original recording
Moon Child
Audio CD$21.99 (used)

More places to buy SONUS UMBRA music online Buy SONUS UMBRA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SONUS UMBRA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SONUS UMBRA Spiritual Vertigo ratings distribution

SONUS UMBRA Spiritual Vertigo reviews

Review by Muzikman
5 stars Did you ever hear of Spiritual Vertigo? The band Sonus Umbra knows what it is. The point is clear on their new release. This project is all about having a fear of being spiritual and standing up tall without getting dizzy and falling because we believe in a God of our choosing. This serves as a reminder that we are indeed spiritual beings regardless of whom or what we choose to call our God. The problem since the beginning of time is all the arguments humanity has created over this subject, which makes for a "Fool's Arcadia" that promotes "Self Erosion." This album is an improvement on the 2001 release Snapshots From Limbo, which was an excellent release. I was pleased to hear that the band is progressing and developing since their last studio outing.

This music is very progressive, combining the elements of rock and jazz. This band is comparable to a tropical bird displaying its splendid plumage, showing off their colors with a wealth of fusion elements within each track. The Alan Parsons Project came to mind frequently while listening to this CD, particularly with the vocals of Andres Aullet. I did not recognize that aspect on the last album, which indicates that they have indeed improved. The lead guitar playing of Ricardo Gomez (Carlos Alomar, who recorded some great albums with David Bowie, may have been an influence at some point) is superb and the rhythm section of Luis Nasser (bass, keyboards, acoustic guitars) and Jeff Laramee (drums, vocals) are an outstanding team that lays the foundation that this musical stronghold is built upon. Nasser is a fine multi-instrumentalist with an acute ear for the rhythm of each musician in the band; he is the beating heart of the unit.

Most of the tracks are typical prog-rock compositions with extended run times and the complexities that you would expect in a song over three minutes. Their magnum opus is the nearly 11 minute closer "Snakes And Ladders," which ends with a brief empty space . an eerie silence, which has you thinking the album is over, but it is not. A woman starts singing to the sound of a honky-tonk piano and you then hear a disgruntled individual groan, then suddenly a loud gunshot goes off, which will scare the hell out of you, and then the CD ends. This ending comes as no surprise, considering the premise of the album. This is how many arguments in the name of God have ended. It is sad but true, as the history of humankind has shown us that the acceptance of one another for who we are is our biggest downfall.

This recording will not require many listens to understand, however you will want to hear it several times, as it grows on you with each subsequent listening experience. Trust me, this one was well worth the wait.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#27097) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2005

3 stars SONUS UMBRA are a band from Mexico, this is their second record and it's a concept album. I must say there's no way I thought i'd be debating about giving this 4 stars after the first couple of listens, but it has grown on me big time. The male vocals are mostly reserved with an accent and there is a guest female vocalist (Lisa from KURGAN'S BANE) helping out. She'll take on a greater role on the next album. The band thanks ILLUVATAR, CHAOS CODE and CEREBUS EFFECT among others.

"Bone Machines" opens with some atmosphere before these banging sounds come in followed by a fairly heavy soundscape. Vocals join in with female backing vocals helping out. The bass is killer throughout this album. "Fool's Arcadia" opens with the sound of the wind as acoustic guitar and keys come in. Bass comes in followed by vocals. A fuller drum led section comes in around 3 minutes. It settles back 6 minutes in. "Man Of Anger And Light" opens with percussion and drums with acoustic guitar before the vocals join in. The bass is chunky. Nice guitar solo 3 minutes in. "Fascinoma" opens with some atmosphere before the piano comes in. The tempo picks up before 1 1/2 minutes. The guitar makes some noise after 3 1/2 minutes. "Self-Erosion" opens with acoustic guitar as vocals and a full sound join in quickly. Love the chorus. The guitar is good after 5 minutes. My favourite track.

"Amnesia Junkies Part I" opens with guitar as different vocal samples come and go. Male then female vocals. A calm before 4 minutes as we get some atmosphere to end it. "Amnesia Junkies Part II" has more spoken word samples then it picks up before a minute as piano, vocals and drums stand out. "Timequake" opens with vocal samples then we get music with vocals before a minute. The guitar sounds great 1 1/2 minutes in. A heavy sound comes and goes. "Rust In My Sleep" kicks in quickly. I'm reminded of the band UNDER THE SUN here. "Snakes & Ladders" opens with acoustic guitar as reserved vocals come in. It gets fuller as female vocals come and go. It's heavier 4 minutes in. Spoken words around 5 1/2 minutes. It kicks back in with some fat bass lines.

3.5 stars but i'm still listening so the rating may go up. Regardless this is a good album.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#251056) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 16, 2009

Post a review of SONUS UMBRA "Spiritual Vertigo "