INTO THE MAELSTROM

- Duffy Snowhill / bass

Label: InsideOut
March 3, 2014

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

BIGELF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BIGELF Into The Maelstrom Music

Into the MaelstromInto the Maelstrom
Inside Out U.S. 2014
Cheat the GallowsCheat the Gallows
Custard 2008
Closer To DoomCloser To Doom
Third Hole Records 1997
Cheat the Gallows 2LP (180g Vinyl)Cheat the Gallows 2LP (180g Vinyl)
Limited Edition
EMIMUSIC JAPAN
BIGELF**INTO THE MAELSTROM**2 CD SET US $14.50 Buy It Now 12h 26m
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom CD Pop Rock US $18.14 Buy It Now 22h 29m
Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows Ltd Ogv LP Vinyl Record US $33.24 Buy It Now 22h 37m
BIGELF Cheat The Gallows CD PROG Atomic Rooster Black Sabbath Elf Astra Hawkwind US $4.99 [0 bids]
BIGELF into the maelstrom LP 12 track 180 gram double album in gatefold sleeve w US $33.93 Buy It Now 3 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom US $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BIGELF closer to doom 1997 cd US $2.10 [0 bids]
BIGELF money machine 2000 cd US $2.10 [0 bids]
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom - Limited Edition (NEW 2CD) US $25.02 Buy It Now 4 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom [CD New] US $27.42 Buy It Now 4 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom [Vinyl New] US $44.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 4 days
BIGELF The Evils of Rock & roll w/ RARE RADIO EDIT PROMO DJ CD single Big Elf US $24.99 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD Closer To Doom by Bigelf [Prog] [Psych] [EP] US $0.01 [0 bids]
BIGELF - INTO THE MAELSTROM, ORG 2014 GERMAN 180G vinyl 2LP + CD, NEW - SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
BIGELF INTO THE MAELSTROM 2 CD DIGIPAK NEW US $21.64 Buy It Now 9 days
BIGELF - Glasgow oct.2009 tour concert/gig poster US $11.87 Buy It Now 9 days
BIGELF - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS (REF T2) US $8.47 Buy It Now 11 days
Cheat the Gallows - Bigelf New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $34.02 Buy It Now 12 days
BIGELF closer to doom 1997 cd US $3.80 Buy It Now 12 days
BIGELF money machine 2000 cd US $3.80 Buy It Now 12 days
Into the Maelstrom by Bigelf (CD, Mar-2014, 2 Discs, Inside Out Music) US $24.47 Buy It Now 12 days
Bigelf - Cheat the Gallows - Digipak Import CD - Free Postage US $14.12 Buy It Now 12 days
BIGELF - INTO THE MAELSTROM (UK) NEW CD US $46.44 Buy It Now 13 days
BIGELF - INTO THE MAELSTROM (UK) NEW VINYL US $64.18 Buy It Now 13 days
Bigelf Cheat the Gallows [Digipak] (CD, Aug-2008, Custard) US $29.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Bigelf Cross T-shirt NEW OFFICIAL sizes Medium, Large & X-Large US $5.09 Buy It Now 15 days
Bigelf Gallows T-shirt NEW OFFICIAL sizes Small & Large US $5.09 Buy It Now 15 days
BIGELF - INTO THE MAELSTROM NEW CD US $22.91 Buy It Now 15 days
Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows [Vinyl New] US $29.81 Buy It Now 17 days
(OA5) CD Bigelf Closer To Doom THR70001 6 Tracks US $16.97 Buy It Now 17 days
Into The Maelstrom - Bigelf US $12.98 Buy It Now 17 days
BIGELF - CLOSER TO DOOM (NEW & SEALED) Big Elf Classic Rock Metal 803341325128 US $10.17 Buy It Now 17 days
BIGELF - CHEAT THE GALLOWS (LTD) (180GM) NEW VINYL US $39.61 Buy It Now 17 days
BIGELF CONCERT POSTER - Glasgow 2009 gig tour US $11.87 Buy It Now 18 days
BIGELF Closer To Doom - 2001 CD reissue, heavy psychedelic but melodic Rock US $16.96 Buy It Now 19 days
BIGELF - INTO THE MAELSTROM [885417067620] - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.01 Buy It Now 20 days
Into the Maelstrom - Bigelf New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.24 Buy It Now 21 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP & CD) US $39.02 Buy It Now 22 days
BIGELF INTO THE MAELSTROM 2 X LP QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE LP MINT SEALED US $64.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Bigelf - Closer to Doom ( CD ) NEW / SEALED US $8.47 Buy It Now 25 days
BIGELF-Into The Maelstrom-2014 2LP/CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 25 days
BIGELF CD - INTO THE MAELSTROM [2 DISCS](2014) - NEW UNOPENED US $18.99 Buy It Now 25 days
BIGELF - CLOSER TO DOOM [BIGELF] - NEW CD US $29.30 Buy It Now 26 days
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom (Double Black Vinyl + CD) US $17.00 Buy It Now 26 days
Bigelf- Closer To Doom, Money Machine, Hex, Cheating The Gallows (5 CD LOT) US $70.00 Buy It Now 28 days
BIGELF *rare* large vintage promo sticker dream theater wolfmother queen big elf US $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days
CD - Bigelf - (Another) Nervous Breakdown - 2 Tracks US $8.49 Buy It Now 29 days
CMJ Player 2007 17 Song Promo CD Sealed Aux Raus Bigelf Eldar MORE US $4.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Bigelf - Money Machine - - CD - Free Postage US $9.41 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BIGELF music online Buy BIGELF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BIGELF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BIGELF Into The Maelstrom ratings distribution

BIGELF Into The Maelstrom reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
2 stars Well, I'm at a loss on what to say about this new release from Bigelf. "Into the Maelstrom" is an interesting album with highs and lows, and plenty in between, too. Bigelf has something of a cult following, and it's been a long 5 years since their last album. So, I think the expectations and anticipation are pretty high, especially with Mike Portnoy stepping in to take over on drums.

I'm going to be honest. Maybe I just don't like Bigelf's style, or maybe it's just this album, but my first experience with them has been one of annoyance. "Into the Maelstrom" is annoying. It's boisterous. It's impossibly over the top, brick-walled, and devoted to fun. That may appeal to many out there, but it is a big turn off for me. I find the songs to be repetitive affairs that generally focus on sounding retro. I have no idea why this is labeled progressive at all, as they must barely ride the edge.

Their style is certainly influenced by Black Sabbath. Everything from the low, groovy guitars to the annoying vocals are taken straight from these metal masters. Bigelf adds just enough strangeness and eeriness to make a sound that is all their own, but the classic rock/metal underpinnings are definitely the foundation for everything else. Because of this, the instrumentals (very few) are rather predictable and sound like something I've heard a million times. This is especially true for the guitars and bass.

I do, however, really enjoy the keys. I found the mix of organs and atmospheric synth to be delightful and a huge elevation for the rest of the music. Portnoy does a decent job on this record, though his drumming is more or less by the numbers. There are few fills and such that I found really good, though. All in all, I found nothing special at all about the instrumentals or any of the performances.

The album is made up of a bunch of catchy songs. I was really surprised at this. Consequently, I find most of them disappointing, unsatisfying, and downright abrasive. "Control Freak" and "Edge of Oblivion" come to mind here, as they are big, pounding, shallow affairs. There are some good songs on here, but almost no great or excellent songs. I really like the track "Alien Frequency" with its interesting keys and its more complex structure. The rest of the songs? They're okay. Most of the tracks on "Into the Maelstrom" sound much the same, as I even kept checking because I thought that I might have hit the "repeat" button or something.

Is this a terrible album? No. Not really. It's just so darn irritating and boring. It sounds like an Ozzy Osbourne record sometimes. If that sounds good to you, then you'll enjoy this. If not, then stay far away from it.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1141726) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Review by rdtprog
COLLABORATOR Heavy Prog Team
4 stars I had my first introduction to this band a couple of years ago but i didn't take the time to listen properly to their music. But this time i did and i am glad because this cd is really something special. Their music is a original combination of hard-rock, psychedelic and prog rock. The band use vintage sounds and instruments and wear some influences from the psychedelic era of The Beatles with a singer that can take the tone voice of John Lennon, but other times it changes in something more evil depending on where the style of music is going. Some hard rock riffs are very similar to Black Sabbath. You can feel a little dose of insanity in they way the band use many tempo changes while keeping the melody intact. The vocals are very effective by delivering plenty of nuances.

The band has succeed to create a very good cd, that is keeping the momentum in the second part of the cd with even more progressive elements and more space allowed to the keyboards. I don't know if this is their best cd, maybe i have missed something before, i will check that later. A nice addition to your progressive collection!

Send comments to rdtprog (BETA) | Report this review (#1146138) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014

4 stars Bigelf is unabashedly one of my favorite bands. Like many, I was introduced to them by Mike Portnoy's Progressive Nation 2009 tour. I was blown away by dominating showmanship and a completely heartfelt vintage sound that embodied many of my favorite early metal and progressive rock bands from ... (read more)

Report this review (#1145189) | Posted by Daggor | Monday, March 10, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BIGELF "Into The Maelstrom"