BEHIND THE SUN

Motorpsycho

Motorpsycho Behind The Sun album cover

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

1. Cloudwalker (A Darker Blue) (6:06)
2. Ghost (6:38)
3. On a Plate (4:09)
4. The Promise (4:40)
5. Kvæstor (incl. Where Greyhounds Dare) (7:09)
6. Hell, part 4-6: Traitor/The Tapestry/Swiss Cheese Mountain (12:21)
7. Entropy (7:23)
8. The Magic & the Wonder (A Love Theme) (4:41)
9. Hell, part 7: Victim of Rock (7:36)

Search MOTORPSYCHO Behind The Sun lyrics

Search MOTORPSYCHO Behind The Sun tabs

- Bent Sæther / vocals, bass, percussion, Mellotrons, organ, 12 & 6-string acoustic and electric guitars
- Hans Magnus "Snah" Ryan / electric and acoustic guitars, vocals
- Kenneth Kapstad / drums

With:
- Reine Fiske (Dungen, Paatos, Landberk, Elephant9) / acoustic guitar (1,7), electric guitars (2,3,5,7,8,9), Mellotron (1,6,8,9)
- Ole Henrik Moe / saw (1), viola (2,5)
- Kari Rønnekleiv / violin (2,5)
- Thomas Henriksen / piano (8)

CD Rune Grammofon RCD2155 (2014 Norway)
2LP+CD Rune Grammofon RLP3155 (2014 Norway)
CD Stickman Records Psychobabble 078 (2014 Germany)
2LP Stickman Records Psychobabble 078 (2014 Germany)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

MOTORPSYCHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Behind The Sun Music

Behind the SunBehind the Sun
Rune Grammofon 2014

More places to buy MOTORPSYCHO music online Buy MOTORPSYCHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOTORPSYCHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOTORPSYCHO Behind The Sun ratings distribution

MOTORPSYCHO Behind The Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Behind The Sun" is the 16th full-length studio album by Norwegian psychadelic rock/hard rock act Motorpsycho. The album was released through Stickman Records/Rune Grammofon in March 2014. "Behind The Sun" is available on CD, vinyl and as digital download. The CD and digital download versions of the album feature nine tracks, while the vinyl version features two instrumental bonus tracks. As an interesting gimmick the two vinyl bonus tracks are cut in parallel, which results in the needle randomly playing one of the two tracks, providing the listener with a suprise opening to the album upon each listen (the two tracks are placed as the first track(s) on side 1).

It hasn't been much more than a year since the release of "Still Life With Eggplant (2013)", but Motorpsycho have as always kept busy and have among other things toured Europe. Prolific Swedish musician Reine Fiske (Landberk, Paatos, Elephant9...etc.) once again helps out on electric and acoustic guitars and mellotron. The latter instrument is heard on almost every track on the album. Other than the more regular rock instrumentation of guitars, bass and drums (and the mentioned mellotron), which are for the most part played by the three-piece band, Motorpsycho are also helped out by Thomas Henriksen who plays piano (on "The Magic & The Wonder"), Ole Henrik Moe who plays saw (on "Cloudwalker (A Darker Blue)") and viola (on "Ghost" and "Kv'stor") and Kari R'nnekleiv who plays violin (on "Ghost").

Stylistically the music on "Behind The Sun" pretty much continue down the same psychadelic rock/hard rock path which "Still Life With Eggplant (2013)" also followed. To an extent where I'll dare call them sibling albums. The band are as always incredibly well playing and "Behind The Sun" is packed in a powerful, organic and warm sound production, which suits the music perfectly. "Behind The Sun" are among the most consistently great albums yet by Motorpsycho. There are zero filler material and no sections or tracks that don't feel like they belong. The album also features a great overall flow and even though it's around an hour long, it never feels like it overstays it's welcome. In fact I feel a strong urge to put it on again right after the busy jamming track "Hell, Pt. 7: Victim of Rock" closes the album.

While the tracks on the album are both consistent in quality and style, Motorpsycho are not a one-trick pony by any means. The core of their music might be rooted in psychadelic rock/hard rock of the late sixties/early seventies, and references to artists like (early seventies) Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash (in their early seventies prime), Jefferson Airplane and Cream are valid enough, but they successfully incorporate stylistic elements from their influences to their music to create their own unique style, even adding a progressive element now and again. Hard rocking riffs, acoustic sections, psychadelic effects, mellow vocals and harmonies and the occasional mellotron wave are some of the elements that make up the band's sound on "Behind The Sun". Highlights include the 12:24 minutes long "Hell, Pt. 4-6: Traitor / The Tapestry / Swiss Cheese Mountain", the opening track "Cloudwalker (A Darker Blue)", the mellow "Ghost" and the above mentioned busy jamming track "Hell, Pt. 7: Victim of Rock", but as mentioned "Behind The Sun" is a very strong release throughout. A 4.5 star (90%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1171818) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Review by Roland113
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars . . . In my not so humble opinion . . .

This album is not what I was expecting in the slightest.

Ok, so I'll admit it, I stereotyped these guys based on their name, 'Motorpsycho, sounds like some death metal doom outfit that makes me long for Mike Portnoy's growls'. I was wrong, horribly wrong. This is currently my front runner for the album of the year. Seriously, let that sink in, when a Neo Guy is giving serious consideration to picking an eclectic album over IQ's best release in a decade, you know that there's something special about this album. For me, this album transcends genre tendencies, which is huge.

This album is stylistically variable, but has a strong seventies, jam band feel with vocals reminiscent of Crosby, Stills and Nash mixed in with random walls of chaos and drum crashes. In general, guitar player Snah Ryan does a fantastic job balancing noodling with shredding (suddenly I have a desire for haluski). Drummer Kenneth Kapstad matches Ryan's intensity often shredding the skins in time with Ryan's guitar. Bass player Bent Saether however makes this band stand out. As I mentioned before, Motorpsycho has a sense of a seventies jam band, and a lot of this comes from Saether's rolling bass lines. So often Ryan and Kapstad will go into a chaotic frenzy but Saether holds the fort down with an almost light hearted back track.

"Cloudwalker" is a great intro for the album, it starts with a gentle build up but once the song proper kicks in we get a good idea of what is to come, the CSN vocals and Saether's rolling bass keeping time. "Ghost" is a down tempo ballad that kind of reminds me of old Crimson. "On a Plate" could have come off of a Beardfish album, the song gives us the first real chance to hear Ryan's excellent solo work. "The Promise" continues with the Beardfish feel, though this is the first real glimpse of the chaos that this band can pull off.

"Kvaestor" was the song that initially grabbed my attention for this album. I listen to a lot of prog as background music to my work day, every once in a while, something is really good and grabs my attention enough to shift my focus away from work for long enough to register it as something worthy of further exploration. This was the song that did it for me. The main part of this song exemplifies the seventies jam feel, Saether's groove sets the tone while Ryan noodles along with a feel reminiscent of "Jessica" by The Allman Brothers. During the jam, don't miss Kapstad's intricate drumming behind the stringed instruments. His drumming is almost as intrinsic to the melody as the other two.

While Kvaestor made me give the album a critical listen, "Hell, Part 4-6"hooked me as a huge fan. Part 4 is a cool, rolling indie rock sounding cry over lost love with a lot of cool guitar licks intertwining again with Saether's bass. Part 5 is a soft, transitional piece that you could expect to hear on Selling England, full of acoustic guitars, Melotron and flute sounding melodies.

But then Part 6 hits! The wall of sound at the 8:10 mark gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. This is easily my favorite bit of music that I've heard in a long time. It's almost a very heavy sounding Steve Hackett a-la "Valley of the Kings". Ryan's soaring guitar over the heavy groove laid down by Saether and Kapstad is sublime and needs to be heard.

"Entropy" is ironically pastoral, another nice ballad with a great solo by Snah Ryan. The last two songs get more and more chaotic as the album crashes to an end. "The Magic & The Wonder" alternates moments of high intensity rock with moments of insane chaos. Kenneth Kapstad is not to be missed here. "Hell, Part 7" is just plain insanity. I would call it a seven minute guitar solo and a seven minute drum solo, played at the same time. Please don't take that to mean Saether isn't soloing on the bass at the same time, he's just slightly more likely to repeat a note if it works. To understand this song, you need to imagine an entire band playing sixteenth notes . . . for seven minutes . . . without stop. I can only imagine the entire band collapsing into a heap of exhaustion and shredded fingers after playing this live. Here's hoping that they can convince Icy Hot to be a sponsor of any tour that they do.

To sum, this is a fantastic album, amazing musicianship, varied styles and despite that, a coherent feel throughout the album. This is probably my favorite discovery of the year and easily gets five stars from me.

Send comments to Roland113 (BETA) | Report this review (#1319236) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 03, 2014

5 stars My fourth foray into Motorpsycho territory and, so far, my favorite. The excellent harmonized vocals present on almost all the songs are awesome--reminiscent of several of the best rock bands of the early 1970s. The foundational instrumental performances are as solid as ever but they are now e ... (read more)

Report this review (#1320024) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Thursday, December 04, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have not heard so many of this years releases yet, I use to prefer old music but today I grabbed this Norwegian band "Motorpsycho's nineteenth studio album "Behind the sun" from 2014 and do you know I really liked it. The record is filled with perfection and a big knowledge in music. The rec ... (read more)

Report this review (#1232570) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Sunday, August 03, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Never listened before to Motorpyscho: a total surprise for me, suggested by a streaming media (ehm...) and got hooked to this record immediately. Such a variety, from ballads (like "Ghost", in a Wilco-flavor style; or the really-superbe "Entropy") to rockers like "On a plate" and "The Promise" ... (read more)

Report this review (#1157485) | Posted by ingmin68 | Saturday, April 05, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 11 months since the last album, and Motorpsycho have no intention of resting on their laurels. Behind The Sun can be described as a continuation of Still Life With Eggplant, only with a bigger focus on songwriting and arrangements. Behind The Sun contains 9 songs in 60 mins, and has a lot o ... (read more)

Report this review (#1143409) | Posted by tired_feet | Friday, March 07, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Fantastic! This exceptional trio have done it again, and for the second time in a row they have been joined by the Swedish psych-rock God Reine Fiske on guitars and mellotron. They are also joined by Ole Henrik Moe(saw and viola) and Kari Rønnekleiv(violin) on some of the tracks. As expec ... (read more)

Report this review (#1142589) | Posted by Vellevold | Wednesday, March 05, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOTORPSYCHO "Behind The Sun"