STILL

Tony Banks Still album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TONY BANKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Red Day On Blue Street (5:48)
2. Angel Face (5:16)
3. The Gift (3:56)
4. Still It Takes Me By Surprise (6:25)
5. Hero For An Hour (4:52)
6. I Wanna Change The Score (4:31)
7. Water Out Of Wine (4:37)
8. Another Murder Of A Day (9:02)
9. Back To Back (4:30)
10. The Final Curtain (4:55)

Search TONY BANKS Still lyrics

Search TONY BANKS Still tabs

- Tony Banks / keyboards (all), bass synthesizer (1,3,5,9,10), drums programming (2,3,7), vocals (5)
- Nick Kershaw / vocals (1,6,10)
- Daryl Stuermer / guitars
- Vinnie Colaiuta / drums (1,5,8,9,10), Hi-Hat (3), cymbals (3)
- Luis Jardim / percussion (1,5,6,7,8)
- Martin Robertson / saxophones (1,5)
- Fish / vocals (2,8)
- Jayney Klimek / backing vocals (2), vocal (7,9)
- Pino Palladino / bass (2,4,7,8,10)
- Andy Taylor / vocal (3,4)
- James Heller / bass (6)
- Graham Broad / drums (6)
- Nick Davis / drum programming (7)

CD Giant CD 24441 (1992 Canada)

and to Joolz for the last updates

TONY BANKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TONY BANKS Still Music

Virgin
Still It Takes Me By SurpriseStill It Takes Me By Surprise
Virgin
CD a curious feeling ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy TONY BANKS music online Buy TONY BANKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TONY BANKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TONY BANKS Still ratings distribution

TONY BANKS Still reviews

Review by daveconn
4 stars This is really no further along the curve than "Bankstatement". As for the positive praise that well-meaning souls have laid at the foot of "Still", they've simply set the bar too low. True, it's a professional affair, engaging the services of FISH, Nik Kershaw, Andy Taylor and a returning Jayney Klimek on vocals, but I don't hear where this edges out something like Phil Manzanera's Southern Cross on the road to respectability.

If you're looking for BANKS to write pop songs with a certain amount of emotional soul wringing akin to the late '80s, then here you go. Not that the GENESIS keyboardist doesn't have the right to solicit the same audience as Mike + The Mechanics, but he can do so much more. The second half of "Another Murder of a Day" or even the classy ballad "Still It Takes Me By Surprise" are the sort of payoffs I expected, not FISH lamely stating "You're just a devil with a pretty angel face" (from "Angel Face"). The vocalists are all good (even BANKS acquits himself on "Hero For An Hour"), but like Steve HACKETT's "Please Don't Touch" the rotating cast breeds an air of arbitrariness. There are no instrumentals, which is sort of a shame, and no new ground is broken.

The inclusion of FISH will no doubt intrigue many, but honestly they only click at the end of "Another Murder of a Day" (easily the album's highlight). The rest of the material is merely competent pop music with hints of GENESIS' grandiloquence (a scent of "The Cinema Show" wafts through "Still It Takes Me By Surprise") and nods to BANKS' earlier work ("Hero For An Hour" does recall "And The Wheels Keep Turning"). Maybe I'm foolish to expect Tony BANKS to return to prog's green pastures, since his solo work has never leaned to the left side of GENESIS. If I view "Still" as a further straying into commercial blandness, blame it on my intractable allegiance to earlier ideals that were left by the wayside with the '80s.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#27188) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2004

Review by Chris S
1 stars Sorry to ruin the party but this album for me was TB's lowest point career wise. It was almost panic stations trying to find vocalists to prove a success formula for commercial acceptance. Thankfully he only really got obsessed by it on this album as Bankstatement and Strictly Inc managed to escape the frenzy. Banks is no doubt one of the finest musicians around but even getting Fish or Nick Kershaw on as guests when their prime had already come and gone was a mistake.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#27189) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Still it takes me by surprise

With "Still" Tony Banks came up with his finest solo album since "A curious feeling". He took the wise step of surrounding himself with top notch musicians, and taking no more than an equal part in the performance himself. Vocal duties are shared between 80's pop star Nik Kershaw, Fish, Jayney Kilmek, and Andy Taylor, with Banks only stepping up to the mike on "Hero for an hour".

Fish sounds more Gabriel like than ever on "Angel face" but the track is never in danger of becoming a Genesis clone due to the female vocal backing and pop related structure. The first three tracks follow this pop trend, and it's only really with "Still it takes me by surprise" that things click into place. Bank's piano work here is beautiful in its deceptive simplicity, with echoes of the intro to "Firth of fifth". Andy Taylor, gives a vocal performance of great sensitivity. The previous track ("The gift") gives no indication he is capable of such a performance. This track alone justifies obtaining the album.

Nik Kershaw takes inspiration from Taylor's performance, and puts in a fine performance on the closing track, the appropriately named "The final curtain".

Yes the album is rather pop based, Banks was clearly getting desperate for some of the success his then current and former colleagues were enjoying. It is nonetheless, a fine collection, well performed, and very enjoyable.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#27190) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 27, 2004

Review by Gatot
3 stars Unlike "A Curious Feeling" which was produced by David Hentschel (Genesis's producer) and Tony Banks, "Still" is produced by Tony Banks and Nick Davis. The change in producer has in a way impacted on how the album was approached and written. In "A Curious Feeling" Tony used same line-up throughout the whole album but in "Still" he used session players. On vocal department he hired Nik Kershaw, Fish (previously with Marillion), Jayney Klimek and Andy Taylor. While on guitars he hired Genesis's on tour guitarist Daryl Stuermer.

Musically, this album is inferior compared to "A Curious Feeling" in terms of composition. Yes, there are some good tracks like those sung by Fish (it's probably I like Marillion during Fish era that makes me liking these songs). Throughout the album Tony wants to create something more pop than previous album while maintaining his keyboard style like in Genesis. You can find the keyboard solo in "Still it Takes me by Surprise" (6:25) (track 4) is interesting. Overall, it's not bad at all. I can only recommend to the completionist who love the music of Genesis to have this CD in the collection. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120955) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars This is another reason to not rate an album on first impressions. When I first got this CD, as a promo when it was released, I absolutely hated it. I listened to it once, and put it away in my collection. On second listen today, it's not quite as bad as I thought. In between the many unmemorable songs there are some glimmers of progressiveness.

Banks' playing on this is mostly straightforward and unchallenging, as it is on most of the Genesis albums of the 80s & 90s. But here and there, he manages to rise up and create something listenable. I would single out the piano solo section of Still It Takes Me By Surprise, and Another Murder Of A Day as the highpoints of this album. The low points, the last 2 songs, are just dreadful. I wish I could have that ten minutes back.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#211501) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 16, 2009

2 stars I was curious about this album. I had heard the 9-minute prog "epic" from it ("Another Murder of the Day" with guest vocals by ex-Marillion singer Fish) prior to hearing the complete work. In very blunt terms, that song kicks butt! However, I also read some of the reviews that said this album was ... (read more)

Report this review (#614047) | Posted by FunkyM | Saturday, January 21, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Tony Banks' music is about feeling rather than intricacy and chops, hence the vast difference between reviews. One either feels it or they don't. Coming off his personal least favorite offering, Bankstatement, Banks' compositions really shine on 'Still', in many places. 'Red Day On Blue Street ... (read more)

Report this review (#290546) | Posted by brotherjohn | Friday, July 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A well made melodious pop / rock album. Not much prog elements on it, so be warned. As it comes to sound, this Tony Banks album is definitely an improvement on its predecessor, "Bankstatement". To start with, the production is much better. "Still" has a full, warm, organic sound in comparison t ... (read more)

Report this review (#247528) | Posted by Moogtron III | Saturday, October 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars But how Tony Banks has made for you it makes this album so bad? Tony Banks of Genesis keyboard played on beautiful album, his solo career had trouble began with 'A Curious Feeling "but Tony Banks was doing pretty good. Here surrounded by 2 great singer, Nick Kershaw and Fish he made an album that ... (read more)

Report this review (#235520) | Posted by Discographia | Friday, August 28, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Tony Banks is one of my all-time favorite musicians, and I have all but one of his solo albums (The Wicked Lady). Although all of his solo albums can be criticized for inconsistency, I feel that this is his most outstanding work overall. There are a few duds: The Gift, Angel Face, and especial ... (read more)

Report this review (#158269) | Posted by bassandbeyond | Thursday, January 10, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Derek Dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was the first Tony Banks album I ever heard. I was pretty excited because of how good of a writer he is. What I discovered was a very mixed and inconsistent album. By that, I mean that half of it is good and half of is not so mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#140389) | Posted by White Shadow | Monday, September 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm playing the extremely gorgeous song "The Gift" right now so I thought I'd take the time to right a review for this album. Seems like Mr. Banks was over his head in the success of We Can't Dance and its supporting tour, so he felt inclined to do an album by himself with the same co-produce ... (read more)

Report this review (#27191) | Posted by | Friday, October 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A much slightly better follow-up to the underated "Bankstatement". Featuring collaborations with ex-Marillion lead singer Fish on a couple of tracks ("Another Murder Of A Day" is one great song) UK teen idol Nick Kershaw are amongst a host of wonderful musicains, whom were brought along to try to ... (read more)

Report this review (#27187) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 30, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TONY BANKS "Still"