PSICOMAGIA

Psicomagia Psicomagia album cover

Buy PSICOMAGIA Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. El Memorioso (5:19)
2. El Congreso Pt. 1 (14:39)
3. El Congreso Pt. 2 (12:43)
4. Simplón (6:30)

- Jonas Munk / mastering
- Jakob Skřtt / artwork
- Psicomagia / writing

El Paraiso Records
Available as vinyl, comes with download code

Thanks to Guldbamsen for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

PSICOMAGIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PSICOMAGIA Psicomagia Music

PsicomagiaPsicomagia
El Paraiso Records 2013
Vinyl$16.43

More places to buy PSICOMAGIA music online Buy PSICOMAGIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PSICOMAGIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PSICOMAGIA Psicomagia ratings distribution

PSICOMAGIA Psicomagia reviews

3 stars PSICOMAGIA's debut album was something I couldn't wait to get my hands on after reading the glowing praise and especially the comparisons to SOFT MACHINE. Brian Ellis also was a factor in me wanting this as the ASTRA guitarist is on here playing tenor sax plus he recorded and mixed the record. Maybe my expectations were too high but man I have some issues with this. There are a couple of things that really affected my enjoyment but by far the greatest is the sound of the organ. Is that what that is? I love the sound of Farfisa or fuzzed out organ, you know that dirty, nasty sound, but this has a high-pitched "shrill" to it that is beyond annoying. And it dominates the sound. Also I found that they rarely let up off of the gas pedal. This is an assault to the ears that rarely lets up with no apparent structure.

Up first is my favourite song "El Memorioso" and I should clarify here that my complaints above refer mainly to the two part track "El Congreso" which takes up about 27 minutes of this 39 minute recording. Back to the opening tune and it starts with intricate pinging sounds that almost echo before this Eastern vibe arrives. It kicks into a full sound before 2 minutes with the sax playing over top. Just a great sound to this one. Next is "El Congreso Pt. 1" and it really comes across as being an improv with no structure to start. It does settle back as spoken words arrive. He stops around 3 1/2 minutes in then that "shrill" sounding organ kicks in and it's relentless. Where's my codeine? We get a break 6 1/2 minutes in as the drums impress then the tempo picks up. This is good until the organ returns before 9 minutes pretty much to the end, although we get some nice sax that comes and goes.

"El Congreso Pt. 2" is chaotic with that organ sound early on. Spoken words after 2 minutes and they stop around the 6 minute mark. The organ dominates the rest of the way. "Simplon" is more like it as we get this uptempo start with drums, bass and sax leading the way. It does settle right down but then the organ shrills join in as it gets intense. Nice bass though before 2 minutes. It does settle down again and I like this so much better when it does.

I'm a little shocked that i'm not giving this 4 stars after all I read about it but this just doesn't do a lot for me for the reasons stated in my intro. I'm sure many high ratings will be forth coming but that's my 2 cents worth.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#1317414) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 29, 2014

5 stars This is just great, it sounds like it came out of the seventies. Sitting somewhere in between psych, prog, krautrock and jazz fusion, it is definitely original and engaging. It only features drums, bass, organ and sax, but while this is the case, it certainly rocks and in many places is somewhat lou ... (read more)

Report this review (#1128750) | Posted by Hnrz | Sunday, February 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PSICOMAGIA "Psicomagia"