SUNN O))) & ULVER: TERRESTRIALS

Post Rock/Math rock

Ulver Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials album cover

Buy ULVER Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

1. Let There Be Light (11:24)
2. Western Horn (9:35)
3. Eternal Return (14:08)

Bonus disc on Japanese release:
1. Eternal Return (Rough 2009) (14:05)
2. Fidelio (Experiment 2009) (11:42)

Search ULVER Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials lyrics

- Ole-Henrik Moe / viola
- Kari Rønnekleiv / violin
- Stig Espen Hundsnes / trumpet
- Tomas Pettersen / drums

CD Southern Lord SUNN200 (2014 US)
LP Southern Lord SUNN200 (2014 US)
2CD Daymare Recordings DYMC-211 (2014 Japan)

Thanks to RedNightmareKing for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

ULVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ULVER Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-97Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-97
Imports 2014
Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And HellThemes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And Hell
Jester Norway 2006
Messe I.X - VI.XMesse I.X - VI.X
Kscope 2013
Shadows of the SunShadows of the Sun
The End Records 2007
Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)
Century Media 1997
BergtattBergtatt
Head Not Found N'way 2001
KveldssangerKveldssanger
Head Not Found 2001
Sunn O))) & Ulver ?- Terrestrials - 180 GRAM BLACK VINYL - lp record 12" USD $16.97 Buy It Now 19h 18m
SUNN O))) & ULVER-TERRESTRIALS-JAPAN 2 CD BONUS TRACK H40 zd USD $32.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sunn O))) & Ulver Terrestrials LP sealed vinyl USD $16.98 Buy It Now 7 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials Orange vinyl - European exlusive colour USD $35.18 Buy It Now 7 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER - Terrestrials USD $13.49 Buy It Now 10 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials CD apocalyptic cosmic jazz/ambient prog doomdrone USD $11.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Sunn O))) and Ulver Terrestrials CD USD $19.73 Buy It Now 13 days
SUNN O/ULVER - Terrestrials - LP USD $24.38 Buy It Now 13 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials LP GOLD VINYL apocalyptic cosmic jazz/doomdrone USD $19.99 Buy It Now 13 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials LP WHITE VINYL apocalyptic cosmic jazz/doomdrone USD $29.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Terrestrials - Sunn O)))/Ulver (2014, CD New) USD $12.98 Buy It Now 18 days
Sunn O)))/Ulver - Terrestrials [CD New] USD $12.58 Buy It Now 19 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials LTD TO 1000 WHITE VINYL Southern Lord SEALED SS USD $33.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Sunn O/Ulver - Terrestrials (2014) - New - Long Play Record USD $11.48 Buy It Now 21 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver Terrestrials LP NEW SEALED Drone Experimental USD $31.27 Buy It Now 22 days
SUNN O))) ULVER Terrestrials LP SEALED SILVER VINYL /500 mastodon boris neurosis USD $19.99 Buy It Now 23 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials Red Vinyl LP Mastodon Boris ISIS Melvins USD $49.95 Buy It Now 26 days
Terrestrials - 2 DISC SET - Sunn O))) & Ulver (2014, CD New) USD $38.52 Buy It Now 27 days
SUNN O & ULVER - TERRESTRIALS NEW CD USD $64.25 Buy It Now 27 days
Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials [CD New] USD $58.49 Buy It Now 27 days
Terrestrials - Sunn O))) & Ulver New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping USD $63.92 Buy It Now 28 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER "Terrestrials" LP earth mayhem boris USD $31.27 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy ULVER music online Buy ULVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ULVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ULVER Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials ratings distribution

ULVER Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials reviews

Review by frippism
COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars Deemed by many as the absolute most anticipated semi-pretentious hipster metal album of the year, the collaboration between Norwegian weirdo ambient former metal-heads Ulver, with the ever most terrifying wall of noise that is the drone metal guitar duo Sunn O))), even I was joining the hype. These two bands are practical celebrities of the underground music world, who have inspired and intrigued the world of modern experimental/underground music. I was finally convinced to go ahead and pre-order the thing when I saw its beautiful artwork. "A portrait of our sun, captured in the wavelength of hydrogen alpha light"- sure, whatever dude. But the cover just sucks you right in, and more or less encapsulates the general feel of the album- an eerie, mysterious, though pulsing and violent ambient live improvisation made by two very progressive bands (one of them, sadly, not on this site).

To describe the sound would be a bit difficult. Undoubtedly it attains the subtlety and aurora- like beauty of the later Ulver albums- strong in its ambient colors and its warm melancholic sounds. The great thing about Sunn's presence in the album are the underlying tones they give, the strong guitar feedback which quietly reverberates throughout most of the album. You feel Sunn's presence to be more than cosmetic only after a few listens to the album, but in reality they are responsible for giving out most of the atmosphere here. They do their part and they do it well, often sounding like they are standing away in the not-too-far horizon, dishing out their absolutely brutal walls of distortion in an utmost gentle way. The more traditional sounding instruments do the trick, adding more beautiful textures to the album and giving you something more material to hold on to and to focus on.

The first track- "Let There Be Light" is probably my favorite. The slow build up is beautiful, and the trumpet that comes in really carries this track through all the way to the epic drums that come in towards the end of the track, which are heavy and primitive sounding and take the track to a very satisfying finish. "Western Horn" continues with the... horns, for the most part serving up for a very pleasant listen but it does outstay its welcome a bit. "Eternal Return" also builds up nicely, and ends at the only part with vocals on the album, with Kristoffer Rygg dishing out his instantly recognizable voice. It's a really holy moment when he sings, with a simple yet effective chord progression. The song mellows out slowly, with bits of harpsichord and other weird sounds swimming about before the song sinks to silence.

Overall the Sunn O))) & Ulver collaboration could've been better, longer, somewhat more groundbreaking, but the bands still manage to make a very strong ambient album with positive profound contributions from both bands. It is always a fun listen, with bits that are truly awe-inspiring and beautiful. A good listen for any fans of the band, or anyone who has meaning to try them out. 3.5 I'd say

Send comments to frippism (BETA) | Report this review (#1150652) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars Terrestrials

The first time i listened to this album really made a lasting impression on me. I was watching the tv series 'The Pacific' with all it's blood and guts - thinking of past lives as a soldier in numerous wars with swords swinging and guns ablazing......then the commercials came on to ruin my ficticious daydreaming. Buy something!.....and forget about the war! I got mad and frustrated - looked at the coffeetable in front of me, where this beautiful cover art seemed like it was smiling at me. Ahh to hell with it and on the stereo I threw it - after all I had about 7 minutes of wallpaper time to spend, so why not spin what, at the time, was the most anticipated release of the year for yours truly.

Well the 7 minutes came and went and by the time the granades had started to fly in a sea of bullits and young men with fear in their eyes, I still couldn't quite get myself to turn it off and return to the war. Instead I turned the volume way up and kept the tv on mute. Something magical happened. The slow almost oozing nature of the music complemented the images of humanity being trambled under foot. The first track 'Let There Be Light' felt like an ode to humanity. The eerie viola creeping and crawling on it's belly seemed to mimic the wounded American soldier slithering through the bloodstained grasses - just as the feedback of Sunn O)))s guitars very similarly interjected an enigmatic sense of fear into the music. By the time the trumpet emerged like a soft beam of light I felt bruised and old - like an old stone. That trumpet though saved me from the terror by breathing light into the piece. From these dark cauldrons of drones and grainy unsubstantial flutters there was suddenly music, by the flick of the switch, and then it grew exponentially in size and gusto culminating in this beautiful catharthic release with the drums rolling by like a series of rhythmic waves, or subdued thunder. The feel is raw and earthy like brown dirt, and it works wonders together with the incomprehensible nature of the surrounding instruments.

By this time I was very close to a mental breakdown or some kind of grim spiritual orgasm - either way I was seriously contemplating turning either the tv or music off.......but I didn't. The following track 'Western Horn' stopped me dead in my tracks with it's yearning trumpet cry. The battle up on the screen had stopped and grey smoke, broken bodies and a sense of detachment filled the screen as if to underline the horrific silence that always follows the bang. The music was perfect. It captured everything about the scene which can never be expressed in words.

Finishing off this journey, 'Eternal Return' acted like an epilogue to all this madness. The stoic yet lonesome voice of Kristoffer Rygg joins in for the first time, and it couldn't have waited for a more perfect moment than this, where frail hapsichord and those ominous and highly vibrant guitar noises of Sunn O))) really come to the fore. Bookends the album like a day of snow in late August.

This is not an easy album to get into by any stretch of the imagination. I gather I was lucky with my first encounter. I saw the record's 'intentions' instantly - and no it was probably not meant as a dramatic backdraft to a cinematic W.W.ll battle, but the feel of the thing - the stuff between the lines - the mental state you have to be in when approaching Terrestrials - that I got from day one no less.

I keep returning to this record - sometimes it's like witnessing an ancient sun ceremony from the feet of a Mayan pyramid, other times I go back to the war....but each and every time I listen to it I get an experience out of the norm. Terrestrials promises you something earthy just through it's title yet what it delivers zooms right out of the soil and tattooes itself in your head....at least it did in me.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1314519) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 23, 2014

Post a review of ULVER "Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials"