THE SEARCH FOR JOY

7. The August Zone
8. Learning To Fly

Search CIRRUS BAY The Search For Joy lyrics

Search CIRRUS BAY The Search For Joy tabs

- Anisha Norflet / Lead Vocals (1, 2, 3, 7, 8)
- Bill Gillham / Guitars, Keyboards, Recorders, Mandolin, Auto-Harp, Backing Vocals
- Mark Blasco / Bass Guitar, Drums, Backing Vocals
- Sarah Sanderson / Viola
- Sharra Acle / Lead Vocals (4, 5)
With:
- Amy Darby / Vocals (5, mid-section)
- Phil Mercy / Electric Guitar (8, finale)

Monday, March 31, 2014

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

CIRRUS BAY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CIRRUS BAY The Search For Joy Music

Whimsical WeatherWhimsical Weather
CD Baby 2012
Slipping of a DaySlipping of a Day
CD Baby 2008

More places to buy CIRRUS BAY music online Buy CIRRUS BAY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CIRRUS BAY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CIRRUS BAY The Search For Joy ratings distribution

CIRRUS BAY The Search For Joy reviews

Review by lazland
2 stars The Search For Joy, the fourth release by American outfit, Cirrus Bay is, if you believe the ratings and reviews given thus far, a masterpiece of progressive rock. Indispensable. Right up there in the list of incredible albums released in not just 2014, but all time.

This is why, I believe, our ratings and review system here on Prog Archives really needs to be taken with a massive pinch of salt, and why, also, people who frequent this place for some time tend to filter in and out their "trusted reviewers" when deciding whether to part with hard earned cash for a new slab of music.

I have broken with my normal rule for reviewing this one, my normal rule being that I have either purchased an album, or been provided with a copy by the band to review. I am listening to this via Bandcamp as I write.

So, I went to said site, expecting to have my mind blown away. It is safe for you, dear reader, to assume from my tone that I will not be parting with the $7USD price asked for there on that venerable location.

Does that mean this is an appalling work? Well, no. It is just nowhere as good as those (obvious) friends of the band who have taken the time to rate and review would have us believe.

The music is a clear attempt to provide the atmosphere and structure of pastoral Genesis and Renaissance. Anisha Norflet, who provides the bulk of lead vocals, has a pleasant enough voice, if slightly monotone in parts. Project founder Bill Gillham can clearly play his varying guitars, keys, wind, and string, but, the electric guitars especially, leave me rather cold. It is just not particularly original, with Hackett and Howe flashes especially abounding. Likewise, one man rhythm section, Mark Blasco, can play, but not in such a manner as to make me sit up and take notice. There is a viola in there, apparently, but is rather lost in the mix, I am afraid, for most of the proceedings.

Also, I rather loathe it when a band tries to be just that little bit TOO clever, with a change in tempo or key simply to prove one's prog credentials. A good case in point here is A Door Into Yesterday, a track which started off as a very pleasing instrumental, but, half way in, has the most horrendous change from symphonic pastures to appalling, jazzy, noodlings. Quite what was being thought of here is beyond me, because I really rather liked the start (and the very end, a reprise of what came at the start).

There is, of course, another key to masterpiece. Without an exceptionally produced work, I cannot see for the life of me how a listening experience can be anything but a slight disappointment. In this case, it is more than slight, because the production is simply not that good.

The Search For Joy is a pleasant enough way to spend an hour idling away at home whilst the other half watches some tv, but an essential listening experience? Sorry, no.

Whilst I hate to be disparaging to any act we have here, and Cirrus Joy are most certainly an honest and earnest act, I cannot award this as anything more than an album which would appeal to those who simply must own all of this type of music. There is, of course, quite a bit of it out there, so deep pockets will be required.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#1167397) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014

5 stars Cirrus Bay has been commercially around since 2008 when they released their first album The Slipping Of A Day. I was a guest vocalist on that debut album. We last heard from this progressive rock band in 2012 with the release of Whimsical Weather. Their music is best summed up as a cross betw ... (read more)

Report this review (#1160684) | Posted by Briaz5000 | Saturday, April 12, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Bill Gillham takes his sound to the next level on 'The Search For Joy', the fourth and strongest cd to date in the Cirrus Bay catalogue. 'Search' features 8 strong tracks, all with their own identity, with lots of variation not only from song to song, but also within each song, all but two of wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#1160643) | Posted by deedee | Saturday, April 12, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "The Search For Joy" is clearly a beautiful work, with layers and subtleties that require additional listenings. I was amused by the reviewer who was reviewing it as he listened to it for the first time on bandcamp. It took several listens for me to really appreciate the depth and beauty of this alb ... (read more)

Report this review (#1149424) | Posted by brotherjohn | Monday, March 17, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Cirrus Bay returns with their fourth and finest album to date, a significate step up from their last album for a number of reasons. From repeated listens on their bandcamp site, I notice several things right away. First of all, the inclusion of viola in many of the tracks is a wonderful addition ... (read more)

Report this review (#1146560) | Posted by snelling | Tuesday, March 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CIRRUS BAY "The Search For Joy"