DISCONNECT

- Alex Lifeson (Rush) / guitar on Once A Warrior

Label: InsideOut
March 31, 2014

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

JOHN WESLEY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOHN WESLEY Disconnect Music

DisconnectDisconnect
Century Media 2014
Disconnect by John Wesley [Music CD]Disconnect by John Wesley [Music CD]
Century Media

More places to buy JOHN WESLEY music online Buy JOHN WESLEY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOHN WESLEY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOHN WESLEY Disconnect ratings distribution

JOHN WESLEY Disconnect reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars Every once in a while, an album simply doesn't connect with me. Ironically, the album this time is called "Disconnect" by John Wesley. Wesley has a long history in progressive music, being attached to Fish and Porcupine Tree at various times. His multi- instrumentalist capabilities have taken him far. However, here he is with his sixth solo offering, and he has a full band behind him.

Being an excellent guitarist, "Disconnect" is really a guitarist's album. Guitar is front and center, to a fault, I believe. Indeed, Alex Lifeson even guests on guitar for one of the tracks, "Once a Warrior". So, if you love guitar, this might be your thing. I'm rather disappointed, though, as I find that every thing else about this album is completely average or worse. Drums, bass. and even vocals are all humdrum and uninteresting. And don't get me started on the lyrics, which, for the lyric enthusiast, are not worth your time.

Yet, I can complain about the rest of the instruments on this album, but I think the major problem is the horrible mix and the domination of the guitar. For whatever reason, I cannot stand the guitar tone on this record. It literally gives me a headache, even on low volumes. It's steel-hard, loud, and bombastic. It completely masks the rest of the instruments to the point where the band never really feels like a band, but instead seems like background musicians keeping time for the guitarists to bore us to death. Solos go on and on forever without ever having an ounce of soul or emotion. Technical feats come and go without anything truly interesting ever happening. Indeed, most songs sound the same: lame attempt at a verse and chorus followed by a few minutes of guitar drudgery. Rinse. Repeat.

Indeed, ever since I saw the weirdly sexual music video for "Disconnect", I knew this album would never pan out for me, and I was correct. I tried, but I can't get past the boring songs, the pretentious guitar work (especially on "Any Old Saint"), and the aura of arrogance that I can't seem to shake. Rough, blasting guitars mean nothing when the artist can't seem to give them any meaning within a song structure. Indeed, it's difficult to base all your writing on guitar without paying attention to the other instruments, melody, and rhythm. In the end, this album feels like one big set-up for John and company to show off on guitar. You know what, though? The guitar never really impresses anyways. Overall, "Disconnect" is a disappointment and a failure.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1162453) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

4 stars Many people might know John Wesley as the touring guitarist with Porcupine Tree. That's where I stumbled across this man for the first time. Not being a Porcupine Tree Fan, but seeing a concert advertised in a club around my neighbourhood many years ago while living in Germany, I went anyway ... (read more)

Report this review (#1299746) | Posted by King Manuel | Sunday, November 02, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOHN WESLEY "Disconnect"