THE QUANTUM ENIGMA

3. The Essence Of Silence
4. Victims Of Contingency
5. Sense Without Sanity - The Impervious Code
6. Unchain Utopia
7. The Fifth Guardian (interlude)
8. Chemical Insomnia

- Coen Janssen/ synths, piano
- AriŽn van Weesenbeek/ drums
- Rob van der Loo/ bass

Thanks to Second Life Syndrome for the addition

EPICA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EPICA The Quantum Enigma Music

CD+DVD
Consign to OblivionConsign to Oblivion
The End Records 2005
SONS OF SEASONS gods of vermin CD SYMPHONIC (EPICA US $8.95 Buy It Now 44m 23s
EVIG NATT-I AM SILENCE-CD-epica-after forever-doom-gothic-thundra US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
EPICA - RETROSPECT [3 Disc] CD (SEALED) $2.99 S&H US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
EPICA - Retrospect [3 CD] (Sealed) $2.99 Ship US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Epica Quantum Enigma (2014) 2x CD Digipak NEW US $22.82 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Epica - The Classical Conspiracy NEW US $10.52 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Epica Retrospect 2013 Taiwan w/obi 3-CD New US $24.79 Buy It Now 10h 21m
WITHIN TEMPTATION - ULTRA RARE GOLD DISC VERSION CD - ICE QUEEN - epica - delain US $4.95 [1 bids]
ALL ENDS a Road To Depression (epica,indica , nightwish US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 33m
FLOWING TEARS - SERPENTINE 2002 1PR SEALED! THEATRE OF TRAGEDY LACUNA COIL EPICA US $69.99 Buy It Now 14h 42m
Primal Fear - New Religion Digipack + 2 ft. Simon Simons Epica US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 31m
EPICA**QUANTUM ENIGMA**CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 15h 58m
Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent NEW CD US $10.52 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Requiem For The Indifferent - Epica New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.25 Buy It Now 1 day
WITHIN TEMPTATION Hydra CD new ( Nightwish Lacunacoil Epica ) bonus Tracks US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ELUVEITIE Origins CD, 2014 Swiss Folk Metal, Power Metal, TURISAS, EPICA, OPETH US $4.99 [0 bids]
Epica band excellent black t-shirt S-XL size US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Epica by Audiomachine (CD-2012. Audiomachine) US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FRIGHTDOLL Lot of 2 CDs - see pics... Rare OOP Tarja Epica Tristania US $15.00 [0 bids]
The Divine Conspiracy - Epica New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.25 Buy It Now 1 day
SIRENIA - At Sixes And Sevens CD 2002 Napalm OOP Epica Gothic US $9.99 [0 bids]
EPICA - The Divine Conspiracy + Phantom agony - Lot of 2 CDs - see pic... US $19.99 [0 bids]
TARJA - My Winter Storm CD + Bonus DVD Digipak Nightwish Epica Tristania US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRISTANIA - Beyond The Veil + Ashes - Lot of 2 CDs - see pic... Epica Sirenia US $19.99 [0 bids]
EPICA - THE QUANTUM ENIGMA, ORG 2014 GERMAN GREEN vinyl 2LP, 004/275! SEALED! US $47.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EPICA-REQUIEM FOR THE INDIFFERENT-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F75 US $30.50 Buy It Now 2 days
EPICA - REQUIEM FOR THE INDIFFERENT CD +1 $2.99 S&H US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EPICA - Requiem For The Indifferent +1 CD (Sealed) $2.99 Ship US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Nightwish - Bye Bye Beautiful (SEALED DELETED CD 2008) EPICA TAROT MY BETROTHED US $3.25 Buy It Now 2 days
~ EPICA - THE QUANTUM ENIGMA ~ MUSIC CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Liliana Barrios - Epica El Viaje De Homero Y Virgilio Exposito [CD New] US $13.76 Buy It Now 2 days
Epica - Kamelot US $9.03 Buy It Now 2 days
IMPERIA - Secret Passion +2,Japan CD +obi,Within Temptation,Xandria,Everon,Epica US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LILIANA BARRIOS - EPICA NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Epica (CD, Aug-2012, Audiomachine) US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Nightwish-Bless The Century Child RARE Live CD Tarja Turunen Epica US $24.99 [0 bids]
BAJEL metal opera ( 15 musicians WARCRY AVANTASIA EPICA US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Requiem for the Indifferent EPICA + 1 BONUS TRACK ( FREE SHIPPING) US $9.87 Buy It Now 3 days
LEAVES EYES My Destiny CD Nightwish Lacuna Coil Epica Liv Kristine / Napalm '09 US $13.05 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica - The Quantum Enigma - NB3222-2 US $16.46 Buy It Now 3 days
MESHUGGAH Lacuna Coil Inches of Blood WOODS OF YPRES Insomnium EPICA metal cd US $3.95 [0 bids]
MESHUGGAH Lacuna Coil Inches of Blood WOODS OF YPRES Insomnium EPICA metal cd US $4.95 [0 bids]
Epica - The Phantom Agony / TH Cassette US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
EPICA BIG POSTER THE QUANTUM ENIGMA - Mayan/Nightwish/Lacuna Coil/Delain/Sirenia US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THEATRE OF TRAGEDY fantastic BIG POSTER !!! Nightwish/Epica/Within Temptation !! US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TARJA Turunen fantastic POSTER !!! NIGHTWISH !!! Epica/Within Temptation/Tuomas US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica The Quantum Enigma new 2 X LP sealed record GOLD vinyl 2014 limited 100 US $80.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica The Quantum Enigma new 2 X LP sealed record WHITE vinyl 2014 VIP 020/100 US $100.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica Requiem For The Indifferent INSTRUMENTAL CD 2012 new sealed Nuclear Blast US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica The Score Digipack SACD 2005 used NM / NM ORIGINAL Transmission CD US $60.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Epica We Will Take You With Us promo CD 2004 new original Transmission Records US $40.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MAYAN QUARTERPAST SEALED CD NEW MARK JANSEN EPICA US $5.24 Buy It Now 3 days
EPICA-REQUIEM FOR THE INDIFFERENT-MUG-NEW US $14.66 Buy It Now 3 days
Cantata Sangui-On Rituals and Correspondence cd new Epica Nightwish Tristania US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
EPICA**REQUIEM FOR THE INDIFFERENT (BONUS TRACK)**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 3 days
EPICA Requiem for the indifferent CD DIGIPACK+1 bonustrack NOSTALGIA) Ships NOW US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
NightWish - StoryTime (10 White) lacuna coil, Epica, After Forever, Metallica US $24.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Requiem for the Indifferent [3/12] by Epica CD Mar-2012 Nuclear Blast USA NEW US $10.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Requiem for the Indifferent [Bonus Tracks] by Epica (CD, Mar-2012, Nuclear... US $21.05 Buy It Now 3 days
EPICA THE QUANTUM ENIGMA JAPAN CD WITH BONUS TRACK US $33.80 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - THE QUANTUM ENIGMA, ORG 2014 GERMAN CLEAR vinyl 2LP, 300 COPIES! SEALED! US $40.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MAYAN Antagonise CD digipak + bonus track EPICA 2014 Pre-order US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ECHOES OF ETERNITY - As Shadows Burn (CD 2009) Female fronted Gothic Metal Epica US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MORNING - Hour Of Joy (CD 2005) EPICA Gathering Lacuna Coil After Forever Female US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
INFERNORAMA - A Symphony For the Heartless (CD 2005) BLACKOUT TO ELYSIUM EPICA US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA / RETROSPECT [3 CD] NEW SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MORNING - Hour Of Joy DIGIPACK CD EPICA Gathering Lacuna Coil After Forever US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
XANDRIA Ravenheart CD 2004 Drakkar nightwish sirenia within temptation epica US $59.00 Buy It Now 4 days
XIAO YU (Drizzle) ???? ???? CD 2014 Chinese INDIE Female Fronted Metal EPICA NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA The Phantom Agony Thai Cassette Seal OOP 3 USD SHIPPING WORLDWIDE US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kamelot Epica Thai Cassette New Seal OOP 3 USD Shipping Registered Worldwide US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Epica Solitary Ground CD single 2005 new original Transmission Records [TMS-051] US $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Gathering, The - Disclosure digipak within temptation anathema ulver epica US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
# NIGHTWISH - Walking In The AIr LP LTD BLUE TARJA EPICA SIRENIA SHIRT CD RARE!! US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Epica - The Phantom Agony - Expanded Edition NEW 2 x CD US $22.20 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - REQUIEM FOR THE INDIFFERENT [CD NEW] US $11.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Epica - Design Your Universe [CD New] US $13.51 Buy It Now 4 days
Retrospect EPICA 2 DVD LTD DIJIPACK ( FREE SHIPPING) US $14.61 Buy It Now 4 days
The Gathering - amity single within temptation epica sirenia tristania US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Design Your Universe by Epica (CD, Nov-2009, Nuclear Blast (USA)) US $10.74 Buy It Now 4 days
Liliana Barrios - Epica [CD New] US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LILIANA BARRIOS - EPICA NEW CD US $24.70 Buy It Now 4 days
KAMELOT - EPICA (IMPORT) NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA We Will Take You With US DVD US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Sonic Visions of the Apocalypse CD CRISIS MELECHESH AINA EPICA AFTER FOREVER US $1.00 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA THE QUANTUM ENIGMA ALBUM BLACK T-SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL MEN'S US $15.99 [0 bids]
Divine Conspiracy - Epica US $12.30 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - CLASSICAL CONSPIRACY NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - THE QUANTUM ENIGMA * [727361322250] - NEW CD BOXSET US $84.47 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - Phantom Agony - CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ELIS griefshire ( female masterpiece ) EPICA nightwish US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EPICA - The Score - An Epic Journey CD US $15.00 [0 bids]
Epica / The Phantom Agony JAPAN+1 OOP!!!!!!!! US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Epica - The Road To Paradiso (CD WITH 94 PAGE PHOTOBOOK) NIGHTWISH AFTER FOREVER US $104.37 Buy It Now 5 days
Epica . Requiem for the Indifferent .rare digibook & magnet edition. bonus track US $88.88 Buy It Now 5 days
Epica . Consign to Oblivion . rare limited digibook CD/DVD + cardsleeve promo US $88.88 Buy It Now 5 days
EPICA - DIVINE CONSPIRACY NEW CD US $21.03 Buy It Now 5 days
EPICA - DESIGN YOUR UNIVERSE CD US $8.05 Buy It Now 5 days
Epica - Classical Conspiracy CD US $19.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent CD US $17.62 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy EPICA music online Buy EPICA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EPICA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EPICA The Quantum Enigma ratings distribution

EPICA The Quantum Enigma reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars After so many albums and so many wonderful performances, I wasn't sure if Epica could craft still another album that would please me and scratch that female-fronted metal itch I sometimes get. In fact, Epica is the only band that usually satisfies it. I'm happy to say, though, that their new album "The Quantum Enigma" is a worth successor to their legacy of excellence.

I am honestly surprised at the small things that Epica has added, and how these little details enrich an album that is basically by-the-books for the most part. Epica, if you are not familiar, is a female-fronted symphonic/progressive metal band with, well, epic and bombastic orchestral passages. Their music is huge and glorious, as it should be. In fact, Simone Simons, the singer, is pretty much my favorite female singer, and her operatic voice is the standard by which many judge all other female metal vocalists. With deep riffs, ethereal keys, symphonic elements throughout, and drums by "The Beast" himself, Epica's music is all or nothing. If you like it, you'll love it. If you dislike it, you'll hate it.

But, I was talking about small things, wasn't I? There are three things I've noticed on "The Quantum Enigma". First of all, the symphonics are much more integrated into the music. On previous albums, it often felt like the metal and symphonies were separate entities that would occasionally cross paths, but this album showcases a much more focused composition. Secondly, guitar and keyboard solos are present. Now, this isn't new, but there are actually several on this album, which is definitely a departure from previous works. On top of that, the solos are excellent. Lastly, this album seems to be their proggiest yet. With some really odd signatures and song structures, "The Quantum Enigma" really pushes their normally lukewarm progressive status.

Is the album any good, though? Yes, though there are some things that irk me a bit. The album is full of wonderful songs, which do require time to grow on you. The album begins with my favorite intro yet, "Originem", a classical piece that they allow to breathe. The next several tracks (up to and including #7) are the best on the album. Pulse-pounding and intricate at the same time, these songs are full of wonderful vocals from Simone, a rather interesting choice to restrain Mark Jansen's harsh vocals for the most part, and simply incredible interplay between the classical and metal elements of the music.

Specifically, "Victims of Contingency" is one of my favorite tracks of the year, as it opens with "The Beast" doing what he does best, but lets go with a delicate chorus. It's a divine song. Another favorite on this album is actually the interlude, "The Fifth Guardian". This Asian- inspired song is an instrumental treat that I was not expecting to hear on an Epica album. It's really something else.

Now, what did I dislike? First and foremost, I feel there isn't enough Simone. That may sound stupid, but the use of the choir is at an all-time high here, and they drown her out much of time. I was hoping, then, for the delicate ballads that showcased her voice on "Design Your Universe", but I still didn't get another one (the last album didn't either). Sure, this gives a very massive feeling to the album, but I still prefer some of the smaller, personal moments. "Canvas of Life" comes close, but not quite there. I also feel like many of the drum compositions were similar, as the use of the same blast beats is there quite a bit. In fact, my favorite tracks are the ones where the drumming is at a dynamic high. Lastly, and quite unfortunately, the title track, also subtitled "Kingdom of Heaven II", after what may be Epica's best song of all time (located on "Design Your Universe"), is a bit of a disappointment. When I heard the earthy vocal vibrations that introduce both parts, I was psyched. Yet, the song is a bit anti-climactic and drawn out for the sake of being long. It is not even close to the original.

So, then, Epica's "The Quantum Enigma" is a success, though not on par with "Design Your Universe" (still my favorite) or maybe a few others. Yet, it's an album that I expected, though with some extra things thrown in that I didn't expect. It's gigantic, beautiful, and celestial. Yet, there are some things that drag it down, and the band could really consider a radical sound change sometime soon. For now, though, I think fans and newcomers alike will really enjoy this album.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1172775) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 08, 2014

Review by Gatot
4 stars Well ...it's been quite sometime that I have not listened to any kind of music with growling vocal style which under local term here in my country I call it as 'muntah kolak' even though Epica is not full with growling vocal. Obviously the clean vocal by Simone Simons (I like her appearance in Kamelot's DVD couple of years ago) in which she sing with power she possibly can, The result is truly an excellent power metal album packed with heavy orchestration from start to end of the album. I am the kind of person whom very easy and happy to enjoy any kind of music which has orchestra in its composition, be it real or just software manipulation like tons of softwares used in the Tangent's latest album. I am not quite sure how the boys in Epica produce the orchestra as part of their composition but for sure I do enjoy all passages of this album.

The opening orchestra Originem really blew me away at first listen as it produces dramatic sound to open this beautifully crafted album. It sets the overall tone of the album, really. It reminds me the first time I felt in love with Kamelot through their Karma album where it started with an orchestra titled as Regalis Apertura. Originem is really as good as Regalis Apertura. The music moves beautifully to the second track The Second Stonewith a full blast of power metal style complete with heavy riffs and double pedal bass drums that is running in full speed. Simone Simons proves herself as one of best metal vocalist with her pure, clear and powerful tones throughout the song backed with heavy music and male choirs. The orchestration still playing dominant role throughout the song.

The Essence Of Silence starts off ambient with a nice combination of violin sound and piano fills. The music then blasts off beautifully with male back vocal in growling style followed with clean vocal of Simone and female choirs. In some way it reminds me to Haggard 'Tales from Itheria' album even though the music is different. Victims Of Contingency kicks off nicely with string arrangements followed with the blast of double pedal bass drums that brings the music into full power metal style with male growling vocal backed with female choirs just before clean female vocal enters. Sense Without Sanity - The Impervious Code changes the mood of the music where now guitar riffs becomes quite dominant and female vocal delivers nice melody.

Unchain Utopia, unlike other tracks, starts with a choir an then followed with music blast that contains string arrangement and heavy riffs followed with toning down style when Simone enters her vocal line. The choirs now seem to dominate the song. The Fifth Guardian (interlude) is a very nice outfit in mellow style that represents a reasonable break after full blast of metal music from prior tracks. It's short in duration with approx 3 minutes containing some blends of eastern music and eerie vocal, backed with powerful violin-like sounds. I can consider this as a nice instrumental that bridges the next track. The nuance of this instrumental is sad in nature. It then shifts smoothly to the next one: Chemical Insomnia with full power of metal.

I love almost all tracks featured by this album including the tracks that follow: Reverence - Living In The Heart, Omen - The Ghoulish Malady. When it reaches Canvas Of Life, the music is tuned down to the fullest as it's basically a mellow song containing mainly vocal and guitar plus string arrangements. It's a very nice melodic mellow track where the drums are not typical double pedal speed tempo as this is a slow track. It's a very nice track. Natural Corruption brings back the power metal style. The album concludes with an epic from the album title: The Quantum Enigma - Kingdom Of Heaven part II which has an excellent composition. The music moves nicely from an ambient opening through wonderfully crafted string arrangement and moves in crescendo as drums come into play. The vocal part enters at about 2 minute after the opening. I like the interlude section which demonstrates simple orchestration with guitar riffs and choirs at the back. It's really nice music!

Musically, I think this band has progressed in the right direction from time to time as I remember vividly I only reviewed their album released in 2007 and I find there is so much progress of I look at this beautifully crafted album in 2014. I highly recommend you to have this album and you won;t regret especially if you like the heavy side of music. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1176362) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 18, 2014

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars The two or three members out there who follow my reviews probably already know that progressive metal isn't high on my list these days, but I've read a lot of good reviews for Epica, and my local CD store (yes, there are still a few of those around) was selling the new disk for a price I could not pass up.

So. Epica, true to their reputation, on this album plays a strong classical influenced prog metal, with vocals that blend a female vocalist, Simone Simon, with male death metal throw-up-in-the-back-of-your-throat grunts. And for once, the grunting isn't detracting too much from the music, although still overused, because, unusually, the words are unusually clear.

Musically, the emphasis is on energy. Metal is the prominent feature, with obvious classical influence, that often sounds like an aggressively amped up take on Rick Wakeman's "Journey To The Center Of The Earth". The addition of a choir and string section adds to that comparison.

But there are some flaws. Despite nearly every song having some passages that draw me in, there is far too much reliance on metal cliches used to fill in between the good parts. Especially grating are the drums of AriŽn van Weesenbeek. Technically, the guy is great. His precision licks and fills can be quite astounding. But listening to an entire album quickly shows that while the tricks he knows he knows well, his fills and jackhammer rhythms are all to similar, causing some tedium to these ears.

And while the choral and string arrangements are very impressive, the recording of these sections are not so much. There is a reverb on these sections, probably due to insufficient microphones, that give each group the sound of recording in a canyon. The rock band sounds clear on their own, but when strings and chorus are added in at the same time everything gets mushy.

On the plus side, the track The Essence Of Silence stands out. Delightfully bombastic and dark in it's arrangement, it veers the farthest away from the cliches I mentioned above, and makes me want to hear more. Other tracks, like the title track that closes the album come close to this, but only the one really impresses me.

3.5 stars. Rounded up because I'm in a good mood.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#1177613) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2014

4 stars While I did enjoy Epica's last album 'Requiem For The Indifferent', I did think that it was the bands weakest albums. I did like the change in direction that the band where attempting, but I did feel that while they did write some brilliant tracks, there was a mad amount of filler. But now the ba ... (read more)

Report this review (#1189789) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Monday, June 09, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EPICA "The Quantum Enigma"