185

The Muffins 185 album cover

Buy THE MUFFINS Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

1. Angle Dance (4:11)
2. Antidote to Dry-Dock (4:58)
3. Zoom Resume (7:16)
4. Horsebones (2:25)
5. Subduction (0:59)
6. Dream Beat (3:34)
7. Under Dali's Wing (3:10)
8. These Castle Children (7:36)
9. Queenside (5:37)
10. Street Dogs (1:20)
11. Angle Dance [Remix] (4:11)
12. Antidote to Drydock [Remix] (4:52)
13. Zoom Resume [Remix] (7:15)
14. Horsebones [Remix] (2:28)
15. Under Dali's Wing [Remix] (3:07)
16. Queenside [Remix] (5:37)
17. These Castle Children [Remix] (7:10)

Search THE MUFFINS 185 lyrics

Search THE MUFFINS 185 tabs

- Tom Scott / clarinet, flute, clarinet (bass), sax (Alto), sax (Soprano), clarinet (Alto), Reeds (multiple)
- Billy Swan / bass, guitar, sax (Soprano), sax (Tenor), sound effects, vocals
- Fred Frith / guitar, piano, violin, producer, harmony vocals, prepared piano
- Dave Golub / clarinet, sounds, shouts
- Dave Newhouse / organ, clarinet, piano, Soprano, clarinet (bass), keyboards, sax (Alto), sax (Baritone), sax (Soprano), Reeds (multiple), Remixing
- Paul Sears / percussion, drums, saxophone, vocals, liner notes, remixing, vocal effect
- Billy Swann / bass, guitar, sax (Tenor), sound effects, vocals, soloist

Cuneiform 55013

and to progadicto for the last updates

THE MUFFINS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MUFFINS 185 Music

185185
Cuneiform 1996
Audio CD$19.96 (used)

More places to buy THE MUFFINS music online Buy THE MUFFINS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MUFFINS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MUFFINS 185 ratings distribution

THE MUFFINS 185 reviews

Review by Steve Hegede
5 stars This album smokes! The CD has two different versions of <185>, one version is full of overdubs and electronic effects (added by Fred Frith) and the other version is much rawer. Since this is my first album by The MUFFINS I really don't mind the produced version of <185> which starts the CD. But, many long time fans were surprised when they first heard the fancier version of The MUFFINS when <185> was originally released. So, the band decided to release a rawer version of the album which was similar to their live sound (and the sound on their older albums). Anyway, the music is absolutely incredible. The sax/bass/drum playing is really aggressive, quirky, and fast on ideas. At times I'm reminded of a progressive ska band because of the horn section, and at other times they sound more avant-garde. Overall, this will probably impress those who don't really like RIO.

Send comments to Steve Hegede (BETA) | Report this review (#27698) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 22, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars The amazing thing with The Muffins is that they've released only one album while they were together (the debut Mana/mirage) but have released some four or five albums posthumously from the period where they were indeed a group. I was never sure whether this album ever did see the light of the day before Frith actually reproduce the album by adding his own touch in 81, but by the time the second version was released, The Muffins were no more (at least I think).

In either case, we get both versions on the same disc, which is of course a treat but also a real flaw. Even though there are differences between the two versions, who really wants to sit a double dose of this RIO? That RIO is often excellent (reminding me of the better Samla Manna), crossed with some Henry Cow (what a surprise, uh? ;-) attitudes, but the weird thing is that both albums do not bear the same tracks sequence or even the exact same track list; . Often the music is more of an improvised music that borders free-jazz, without really crossing the boundary. BTW, Frith does bring something to The Muffins' music, but whatever it is, I'm not sure it was really all that positive, because I prefer the original version.

On the one hand, this album is indeed the other facet of The Muffins, but really the one that most progheads will prefer is definitely the Canterbury soundscapes that seeped through the pores of Mana/Mirage. But that doesn't make this album any less worthy, even if it less essential to this writer's eyes (or should I say ears?).

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#125515) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2007

4 stars In the book called "The Russians" there is a procedure in the story where certain classified material in libraries in the Soviet Union was stamped "<185>". This is where they came up with the title for this album.

Many people descibe the music on here as a cross between SOFT MACHINE and HENRY COW and I can't disagree. Fred Frith produced and played on this record, and it took only two days to record this album, and two days for mixing. The band heard over the years from fans and friends alike that this record did not sound like them. Which is why on this cd we have two versions of "<185>", with the second version being a re-mix from the original master tapes. They didn't re-mix the three improvs from the original album though, just skipping them completely. Apparently the re-mixed version is about as close to what this band sounds live as you'll here. I personally much prefer this version mainly because it sounds much cleaner and clearer to me. As usual with this band we get a lot of sax, clarinet and flute, along with piano, organ, violin, guitar, drums, bass and fuzz bass.

This band should be held in high esteem in my opinion, they're absolutely brilliant with the challenging and innovative music they present. I consider "<185>" to be an important part of my collection.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#175018) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2008

4 stars One of the most schizophrenic releases that I've heard! I've listening the CD reissue containing two different versions of the album. In late 1980, the Muffins were approached by Fred Frith with an offer to produce and guest on an album of material that he had heard the Muffins play. According to ... (read more)

Report this review (#100153) | Posted by progadicto | Thursday, November 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This one is dominated by the language of free jazz. The dissonances and complexity is going here very, very far. Musicianship and crazyness is still at the top but clearly the band is not anymore a rock band. Rewarding in the best way to the most complex side of RIO lovers this one is not recomm ... (read more)

Report this review (#36880) | Posted by | Saturday, June 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MUFFINS "185"