HINDSIGHT

Final Conflict Hindsight album cover

Buy FINAL CONFLICT Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Empty promises (7:14)
2. A Moment in Time (7:38)
3. Hindsight (9:48)
4. Dead of Night (7:44)
5. Can't buy Experience (6:10)
6. Shadowdance (5:37)

- Andy Lawton / vocals, electric & acoustic guitars
- Brian Donkin / vocals, electric & acoustic guitars
- Chris Chalk / bass, electric & acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Chris Moyden / drums & percussion
- Corrin Lipiec / flute (6)
- Steve Lipiec / keyboards, saxophone, backing vocals

CD Gaolhouse-GAOLCD01-2003-UK

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

FINAL CONFLICT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Stop Stand Up, 1997

Buy FINAL CONFLICT Hindsight Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Ashes to AshesAshes to Ashes
SOS Records 2006
RebirthRebirth
Tacklebox / Cargo 1997
Stand Up (Remastered)Stand Up (Remastered)
Limited Edition · Remastered
Redress the BalanceRedress the Balance
Return of the ArtisanReturn of the Artisan
Audio CD$16.99 (used)
SimpleSimple

More places to buy FINAL CONFLICT music online Buy FINAL CONFLICT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FINAL CONFLICT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FINAL CONFLICT Hindsight ratings distribution

FINAL CONFLICT Hindsight reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars A long six years break for Final Conflict to produce this album. I really wonder what they have done in the meantime. Because this album is far from being great, I'm afraid...

Search for inspiration? Not really!

Quest for outstanding song writing? I don't think so.

A deep look to more profound and original music? Not even close!

This is another average album form this band. One of the highlight is "Hindsight". Although it fully starts as a genuine "Marillion" song ("The Party"), it holds some fine melody and emotional guitar work towards the end of this lengthy track.

Most of this album is just a kaleidoscope of other band's music and does not leave a footprint of originality. Just listen to the Floydian intro for "Dead Of Night" and its very predictable music. Not bad of course, but so soul less.

Some songs are worth a spin, but not too many. The upbeat "Can't Buy Experience" certainly belongs to these ones. Heavier and more aggressive, it features some catchy vocal melodies and powerful guitar. One of the two highlights. The folkish" Shadowdance" is also one of the good numbers from this album.

If you would ever get a neo-prog verson of Kashmir, I can only recommend Choices. But I guess that very few of us needs such a song. At the end of the day, only Heart & Soul is really worth. Above average melody and vibrant guitar. One is finally rewarded to have listened to so much uninspired music. This is an excellent song. The one and only, unfortunately.

Two stars for this average album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#159349) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 20, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Hindsight is a wonderful thing

When I first heard Hindsight after having heard Final Conflict's 2006 studio album Simple and their live DVD Another Moment In Time, I wasn't immediately as convinced of its merits as I was of those two more recent releases. But like with many good albums, this one too grew on me over further listens. While Simple contained re-recordings of older songs, several of which were previously familiar to me from the aforementioned live DVD, only two songs on Hindsight had previously graced my ears - Can't Buy Experience and A Moment In Time. The former had featured on the DVD and the latter (which ironically wasn't, given the title of the DVD) I knew from the band's MySpace page.

With eight tracks and a running time of just over an hour, all but one of the songs are over six minutes in length and two songs run for nearly ten minutes. The first track sounds very much like a Peter Gabriel solo number in the vocal melody and tone. There is a nice mix of electronic and acoustic sounds. This is modern Prog with a classic Rock feel. A Moment In Time has a strong melody and is instantly appealing. Again there are acoustic guitars, but here the pleasant harmony vocals and clean lead guitar sounds of Brian Donkin and Andy Lawton that I have come to expect from the band shine through a lot more. The heaviness that occasionally was present on Simple is however almost nowhere to be found on Hindsight.

The title track is the first to have a more typical Neo-Prog sound with its strong presence of melodic keyboards. Here we also have more powerful guitars and vocals, but the music of Final Conflict is seldom aggressive. This is one of the strongest tracks of the album. Dead Of Night is a darker and more low key song with an almost jazzy feel in the drums and bass line. Again some nice floating keyboard work from Steve Lipiec who also provides some discrete and tasteful saxophone lines. Can't Buy Experience is again a more melodic affair and this one is not one of my favourites. As I said, this was the only track from this album that was featured on the band's recent live DVD. Probably not the track I would have chosen to represent Hindsight but still a good song.

Shadowdance is a great number with lovely flutes, electric piano, acoustic and electric guitars, strings and a mellow vocal. There is a folky feel to this track partly due to the strong presence of flutes but also due to the nature of the melody. The flutes are played by a Corrin Lipiec, probably a relative to Steve Lipiec the keyboard player. Choices is a more melodic song similar to Can't Buy Experience. The main attraction here is the keyboard and guitar solos. The album closes with Heart & Soul which again is a rather mellow piece with a warm vocal over acoustic guitars and nice keyboard and lead guitar work. The verse is very strong, but the chorus is admittedly slightly predictable.

Given that Simple contained older material in new versions, Hindsight from 2003 is still the most recent original studio album by Final Conflict to date. It may not be as good as Simple and it does not have the standout tracks of 1997's Stand Up, but it is indeed another strong Final Conflict album. I wasn't as sure about the rating this time, but I chose to reward this album too with four stars in the end.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#299872) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010

5 stars It's good to see Final Conflict back with the album Hindsight after such a long break. They still have the haunting guitar and keyboard solos; with strong melodies and well constructed and developed songs. The addition of driving bass and drums and creative vocal harmonies give this album a professi ... (read more)

Report this review (#27804) | Posted by | Saturday, February 14, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FINAL CONFLICT "Hindsight"