THE LOST ATTIC - A COLLECTION OF RARITIES (1983-1999)

IQ

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy IQ Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1999

1. The Universal Scam 1997 (5:05)
2. Wintertell 1983 (3:02)
3. The Last Human Gateway (middle section) 1992 (4:02)
4. Hollow Afternoon (1999 recording) 1999 (4:41)
5. Apathetic And Here I... 1994 (7:27)
6. N.T.O.C. (Resistance) 1994 (4:49)
7. Eyes Of The Blind 1997 (3:15)
8. Barbell Is In (12" Lizard Mix) 1984 (6:29)
9. The Bold Grenadier 1987 (3:38)
10. My Legs 1983 (2:17)
11. Fascination 1987 (5:53)
12. Hollow Afternoon 1984 (4:52)
13. Awake And Nervous (radio session) 1984 (7:11)
14. Just Changing Hands (radio session) 1984 (5:17)
15. Widow's Peak (radio session) 1984 (8:52)

Search IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) lyrics

Search IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) tabs

- Peter Nicholls / lead & backing vocals
- Martin Orford / keyboards, bass pedals, guitar, backing vocals
- Mike Holmes / keyboards, bass pedals, guitar, backing vocals
- Paul Cook / drums
- John Jowitt / drums
- Tim Esau / bass (8/10/11/13/14/15)
- Paul Menel / bass (8/10/11/13/14/15)
- Les 'Ledge' Marshall / voice (10)

CD Giant Electric Pea GEPCD 1024 (1999)

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

Buy IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) Music

Vinyl$29.42
Seventh HouseSeventh House
Are You Sitting ComfortablyAre You Sitting Comfortably
Inside Out U.S. 2005
IQ THE WAKE 3 cd + 1 DVD 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition box set US $45.99 [0 bids]
INTROITUS Fantasy CD PROG (Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Arena, Nexus, IQ) US $16.99 [0 bids]
Increase Your IQ, Do Better on School w/ Subliminal Hypnosis CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
FRANCE press IQ The Wake LP 1985 Sahara Records SAH136 US $35.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
FRANCE press IQ Living Proof LP 1986 Samurai RECORDS SAMR045 US $35.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
MARILLION Seasons End - Original UK Gatefold LP - Prog IQ Pallas Pendragon US $8.42 [1 bids]
The Manhandlers - The Manhandlers LP Riot Grrl Criminal IQ 2005 US $10.49 Buy It Now 20h 21m
KBD punk rare NECROS IQ 32 fan club LP oop MISFITS the FIX MEATMEN CLITBOYS US $14.99 [0 bids]
DAVID GILMOUR live in gdansk 2 CD DIGIPAK SEALED IQ82 US $13.99 [0 bids]
KILA lemonade & buns +2 JAPAN CD Celtic Pop SEALED IQ45 US $12.99 [0 bids]
LAVINE HUDSON between two worlds JAPAN CD IQ69 US $15.29 [0 bids]
LENA FIAGBE visions +1 JAPAN CD IQ67 US $7.99 [0 bids]
NICKY HOLLAND sense and sensuality JAPAN CD IQ55 US $7.99 [0 bids]
FASCINATION PROGRESSIVE ROCK FANZINE ISSUE 1 - MARILLION/PALLAS/ PENDRAGON/IQ US $33.75 Buy It Now 23h 42m
METAL PRESS ROCK FANZINE ISSUE 6 - JUDAS PRIEST - IQ - SEDUCER - SOLSTICE US $33.75 Buy It Now 23h 45m
SLOGANS MUSIC FANZINE NO 15 - YES - RICK WAKEMAN - RUSH - HAZE - IQ US $33.75 Buy It Now 23h 49m
SLOGANS MUSIC FANZINE NO 16 - PENDRAGON/YES/MARILLION/ STEVE HACKETT/IQ US $33.75 Buy It Now 23h 49m
IQ Are You Sitting Comfortably? LP prog rock US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EVENT Human Condition CD Progressive Metal NEW Arena / IQ / Pallas Inside Out US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IQ Are You Sitting Comfortably CD Progressive Rock BRAND NEW 2005 / 1989 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dark Matter by IQ (CD, Jun-2004, Inside Out Music) US $11.23 Buy It Now 1 day
iQ The Great-37th Hour - EP CD NEW US $10.59 Buy It Now 1 day
BABY IQ: APRENDIENDO LOS COLORES - NEW CD US $6.26 Buy It Now 1 day
IQ - Forever Live (2CD+VHS 1996) NTSC collectors set US $29.99 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - BABY IQ: BABY'S FIRST WORDS (821408750126) - NEW CD US $12.17 Buy It Now 1 day
THE LENS A Word In Your Eye CD Progressive Rock pre-IQ US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Transatlantic Smpte LTD 2 CD Dream Theater Marillion Spock's Beard Neal Morse IQ US $80.00 [0 bids]
IQ - Living Proof UK orig' Samurai LP 1986 US $47.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - Corners UK orig' Sahara 12" 1985 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Pedestrians - Future Shock - CD (CIQ14 Criminal IQ) US $9.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Vee Dee - Furthur - CD (CIQ07 Criminal IQ U.S.A.) US $13.94 Buy It Now 2 days
Sonia - Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy 7" 1991 Ex/Vg IQ Records ZB44935 US $6.74 Buy It Now 2 days
Sonia - You To Me Are Everything 7" 1991 Ex/Vg IQ Records ZB45121 US $6.74 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - EVER double 45rpm CLEAR VINYL ltd to 200 US $89.00 [0 bids]
IQ - SUBTERRANEA double vinyl WITH BONUS EP ltd to 500 US $99.00 [0 bids]
IQ - Ever (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $40.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Forever Live by IQ (CD, Sep-2004, 2 Discs, Inside Out) US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
1Q IQ Barbell Is In 12" 45rpm LP 1984 RARE SAHARA RECORDS ENGLAND VG+/VG+ US $8.95 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - DARK MATTER - BRAND NEW (InsideOut) US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - FREQUENCY - BRAND NEW (InsideOut) US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
(BQ385) Paul Roderick, People IQ - 2010 DJ CD US $3.80 Buy It Now 2 days
V/A - RADIKAL TEKKNO Part 2 Nico The X Terrace Lenny D DJ Keoki RJ's Rule IQ-EQ US $4.90 Buy It Now 3 days
2 SUBLIMINAL HYPNOSIS LEARNING SKILLS-INTELLIGENCE INCREASE IQ-NEW BRAINWAVE AID US $25.99 Buy It Now 3 days
2009 METAL ~ IQ ~ Frequency ~ RARE PROMO ~ PROMOTIONAL CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
SOLSTICE Silent Dance LP (folky prog, private, 1984, Marillion, IQ, Renaissance) US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Krunchies - Interrobang EP 7" Chicago Hardcore Punk Criminal IQ 2004 US $4.49 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ ZERO she's so rare 7" b/w crazy dolls (go374) uk logo 1980 US $8.42 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ DECIDES cheek to cheek 7" hand written white label test pressing b/w won't yo US $8.42 Buy It Now 3 days
J 4 L & P keep me satisfied 7" b/w instrumental mix (zb44735) pic slv uk iq 1991 US $8.42 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ nomzamo LP 8 track with inner and insert (verh43) uk vertigo 1987 US $13.05 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ - DARK MATTER - NEW LIMITED EDITION 12" VINYL LP US $13.49 [0 bids]
DAVID GILMOUR live in gdansk 2 CD DIGIPAK SEALED IQ82 PromoPrice US $13.99 [0 bids]
KILA lemonade & buns +2 JAPAN CD Celtic Pop SEALED IQ45 PromoPrice US $12.99 [0 bids]
LAVINE HUDSON between two worlds JAPAN CD IQ69 PromoPrice US $15.29 [0 bids]
LENA FIAGBE visions +1 JAPAN CD IQ67 PromoPrice US $7.99 [0 bids]
NICKY HOLLAND sense and sensuality JAPAN CD IQ55 PromoPrice US $7.99 [0 bids]
NECROS IQ32 LP color Negative Approach SSD Black Flag Misfits Minor Threat KBD US $14.69 Buy It Now 3 days
Tales from the Lush Attic by IQ (CD, May-2006, Inside Out Music) US $11.73 Buy It Now 3 days
4 CD-SUBLIMINAL BRAIN/MIND CONTROL INTELLIGENCE HIGH IQ-BRAINWAVE TECHNOLOGY AID US $52.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DONNA GARDIER reach out JAPAN CD JAZZ IQ66 US $13.44 [0 bids]
IQ - NOMZAMO - NEW CD US $26.18 Buy It Now 4 days
IQ promises 7" b/w human nature (ver34) pic sleeve uk phonogram 1987 US $12.66 Buy It Now 4 days
UNITED-NO IQ CD RARE JAPANESE THRASH METAL SPEED LOUDNESS US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
IQ - DARK MATTER - NEW LIMITED EDITION 12" VINYL LP US $15.18 [0 bids]
IQ - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF S2) US $16.80 Buy It Now 4 days
I.Q. ZERO - SHE'S SO RARE - PRIVATE PUNK POWERPOP 1980 PHONEY-GRAN IQ ZERO US $9.99 [0 bids]
AYESHA WE'VE GOT TO LIVE TOGETHER 12" 1993 IQ RAP US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Frankie Goes To Hollywood Welcome To The Pleasuredome LP 12" Album Vinyl ZTT IQ1 US $25.31 Buy It Now 4 days
Baby Iq-Apprendiendo Los Colores US $8.76 Buy It Now 5 days
IQ6 ZANG TUMB TUUM SAMPLED LP uk ztt '85 propaganda etc US $29.00 Buy It Now 5 days
POSITIVE GANG sweet freedom 7" sixteen mix b/w iq version (pwl261) pic slv uk pw US $8.42 Buy It Now 5 days
Mozart for Mommies and Daddies: Jumpstart your Newborn's IQ by Heinz Holliger, I US $5.52 Buy It Now 5 days
IQ - DARK MATTER (UK) NEW VINYL US $49.76 Buy It Now 5 days
IQ: Nine In A Pond Is Here LP (UK, 2 LPs, limited edition of 1000, insert cover US $60.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Iq Dark Matter CD (UK Import) NEW US $14.11 Buy It Now 5 days
DARK MATTER BY IQ (CD) US $21.37 Buy It Now 6 days
SUBLIMINAL INTELLIGENCE ENHANCEMENT-INCREASE YOUR INTELLECT HIGH IQ BRAINWAVE CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Mozart for Mommies and Daddies: Jumpstart your Newborn's IQ (CD, Oct-1999,... US $7.77 [0 bids]
Iq - Nomzamo CD US $29.21 Buy It Now 6 days
IQ Rare UK 1984 7" Single BARBELL IS IN With AUTOGRAPHED SLEEVE US $30.37 Buy It Now 6 days
Tales From the Lush Attic, Iq, Acceptable Import US $13.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Iq - Dark Matter [Vinyl New] US $35.47 Buy It Now 6 days
Wake, Iq, Acceptable US $8.49 Buy It Now 6 days
IQ - FREQUENCY (UK) NEW CD US $36.71 Buy It Now 6 days
Sonia Only Fools [Never Fall In Love] UK 7" vinyl single record ZB44613 IQ US $8.34 Buy It Now 7 days
IQ Sold On You Dutch 7" vinyl single record 872490-7 SQUAWK 1989 US $16.36 Buy It Now 7 days
Iq - Tales From The Lush Attic [CD New] US $14.66 Buy It Now 7 days
KERRANG 223 LORRAINE LEWIS IQ TESLA + GST METAL PULLOUT US $10.11 Buy It Now 7 days
IQ - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T4) US $11.73 Buy It Now 7 days
Lucha Libre - Lo IQ Hi Power - Satellite - 1999 #642926 US $6.74 Buy It Now 7 days
SEALED 12"~JAGGED EDGE~MAJESS~IQ~D MOVES~Walked Outta Heaven~[x8 Remixes]~ US $4.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Iq - Frequency [CD New] US $26.75 Buy It Now 7 days
SOLSTICE - SILENT DANCE - CASSETTE ( Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Pendragon ) US $18.99 Buy It Now 7 days
IQ Living Proff 1986 UK NEO PSYCH PROG LP MINT US $29.75 Buy It Now 8 days
LOW IQ 01 - Master Low For ... - Japan CD J-POP - 11Tks US $8.54 Buy It Now 8 days
Iq - Frequency CD EMI US $30.58 Buy It Now 8 days
SONIA only fools 7" b/w instrumental version(zb44613) pic slv uk iq 1991 US $8.42 Buy It Now 8 days
SONIA you to me are everything 7" b/w be my baby (zb45121) pic slv uk iq 1991 US $8.42 Buy It Now 8 days
Iq - Dark Matter [CD New] US $14.18 Buy It Now 8 days
Tales from the Lush Attic - Iq New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy IQ music online Buy IQ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IQ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) ratings distribution

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) reviews

Review by Greger
4 stars The progressive rock band IQ is releasing a rarities album with old and new songs, unused songs, fan club releases, previously unreleased songs, contributions on other CDs, 12" single releases, gig releases and BBC radio sessions. Previously hard-to-get songs are collected on this release. You might think that this is something only for the die-hard IQ fans out there, but that's oh so wrong! I had never heard IQ before I got this CD, and now I'm really curious to hear more. If these unreleased songs is so good, what about the albums? I can only imagine! Their music is neo-progressive / symphonic rock in the same vein as MARILLION, LANDMARQ and PENDRAGON, but sometimes also RUSH and YES. The vocals are very varied. Sometimes they remind of Dicken and Edward Carter of Mr. Big, and sometimes of Peter GABRIEL. My favourite song is "Hollow Afternoon (1999 recording)". This song is sending shivers down my spine. What a beautiful song! Other highlights are the opening track "The Universal Scam" and the beautiful ballad "Eyes Of the Blind". Both songs were originally intended for their album "Subterranea". Another great track is "The Last Human Gateway (middle section)". The only really awful song on this CD is "Barbell is in (12" Lizard Mix). Another unnecessary track is the spoken track "My Legs", although it's quite funny. The excellent 20-page booklet made by Tony Lythgoe with a cover illustration made by Peter Nicholls is very informative. It's got lyrics, comments, photos, history, and information on each track and much more. This is surely a must have for all IQ fans, but it does stand for itself even though you've never heard IQ before. If you're curious about IQ, buy this album. Recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#28148) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 21, 2004

Review by loserboy
5 stars Well being a big IQ and having access to another CD of their early and unrelased songs sounds like a great idea to me (once again thanks Richard!). "The Lost Attic" explores many of the missing pieces from IQ's past including tracks which did not make it onto "Subterranea", "Tales From The Lush Attic" and "The Wake". But listen my friends don't chalk this up as fragments or scraps from their past which were second rate. . . to quote a "Richard'ism ", this is a "Top Drawer" piece of work. Several songs have been re-recorded including a real lost gem "Hollow Afternoon" which I have had for a long time with major vinyl imperfections throughout. Historical snipets include 3 tracks recorded back in the early 80's for the BBC live, "Barbell Is In (Lizard Mix)" and "Apathetic And Here I" (A delicate piece in memory of the late Geoff MANN with a great IQ touch... a personal fav!!!!) to name a few. Even a few Paul Menel lost gems for those who followed IQ through the thick and thin. "The Lost Attic" is essential if you are into IQ and like me can not ever get enough of 'em.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28145) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

Review by lor68
4 stars Another excellent album, featuring some previously unreleased songs regarding the early stuff and other more recent material as well. A good production, sometimes remarkable, which can be a good place to start with their music.

It is not a masterpiece, but it can complete your collection of new progressive rock (naturally if you are into this easier kind of modern light progressive music in the vein of early GENESIS...)

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#28146) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 02, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I have always been rather suspect with "rarities" albums. Being Tull or Led Zep ones. So, even if I do like IQ, this album could only be a questionable affair.

The band has been quite unproductive in terms of new material during the last two years. I doubt that IQ have millions of fans to please with whatever release they would output. I am just a fan expecting a good album from this good band. Nothing more, but no less.

There will be some nice moments like "The Universal Scam", "NTOC" and of course the very emotional middle part of "The Last Human Gateway".

When I listen to "Barbell Is In" I can only do one thing : get out as far as possible to avoid listening to this awful song. Even worse than "Corners" on their second album. DO press next. Oooups. Press next again since the bloody "Corners" is just sitting here. I guess that it was one of the lost "jewels" of the band. Absolutely dreadful. One of the top three most disgusting IQ song.

And we'll get all in a row because the stupid "Bold Grenadier" won't add anything interesting to the IQ repertoire. Really dull. An attempt of being funny with "My Legs" is really out of my reach. So stupid and useless...

This "collection" of songs (or partial songs) is absolutely way behind the usual production of the band. At times, there will be some interesting moments but all of these will be taken care on traditional IQ albums. This one is just a PITA.

I am quite hesitant in rating an IQ "album" with one star. This release will only escape this rating thanks to "Awake & Nervous", "Just Changing Hands" and "Widow's Peak".

Do not buy this poor IQ release. It really does not deserve more than two stars. And I have been quite gentle with the band since their first recording. This one is an insult to the fan (to which I belong). Let's quickly forget about this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#126182) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) is a compilation album by UK progressive rock act IQ. As the title suggests itīs a collection of outtakes, single tracks, remixes, re-recordings, radio sessions and other obscurities from the years 1983- 1999. The album features quite an impressive booklet with lyrics for all songs and also comments for each track from the various members of the band.

The compilation features some pretty cool stuff if youīre a fan of IQ but also some more obscure things that even fans might not be very interested in. Fortunately the former is mostly the case. Personally I find the reggae inspired Barbell Is In (12" Lizard Mix), the playing in the studio fun track My Legs and the traditional folky The Bold Grenadier to be on the more obscure side while songs like The Universal Scam, the 1999 re-recording of the 1984 single track Hollow Afternoon ( which also appear in its original form) and Apathetic And Here I... to be some of the highlights. The very Genesis like Wintertell also scores some good points with me. The sound quality is good throughout and even the older songs have quite a nice sound.

I originally purchased The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) in one of my compulsive album buying sprees at a time where I was very interested in IQ. I didnīt even look hard enough to see that it wasnīt a studio album, so when I came home and discovered that it was a compilation I wasnīt too happy. Knowing very little about IQ in those days I was much more interested in listening to some of their "real" albums. Therefore The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) didnīt get many spins before it ended up in my basement collecting dust. Having heard most of IQīs output since then, I suddenly remembered that I had this compilation of rare and unreleased tracks stored in the basement and felt it was time to give it another spin. While I would chose one of the Peter Nicholls led studio albums any day over this compilation album, I actually find it pretty good, and save for a few hardcore fan tracks, I would rate most of the songs on The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. So a 3 star rating is well deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#272317) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars IQ's The Lost Attic is precisely what it claims to be - a rarities collection - and as such like most rarities collections it aims directly for the "fans and collectors only" category rather than anything better. With tracks taken from various sources ranging from the band's home demos to the Subterranea sessions, the sound quality here is decidedly variable.

Some songs are fairly reasonable - Apathetic and Here, I and Hollow Afternoon are decent pieces (the former having been recorded for a tribute album to the late Geoff Mann, a friend of the band) - and the concluding radio session tracks are pretty good, but for the most part this is a jumble of rejects and alternate versions which will only be of interest to IQ fanatics.

For instance, The Universal Scam and Wintertell are both rejected songs from past albums (Subterranea and Tales from the Lush Attic respectively), and in both cases I'm left with the impression that cutting them out was 100% the right call because they just aren't up to the standards of the other songs from the relevant releases. Most of the alternate versions of tracks here are simply inferior to the versions IQ fans will already be familiar with. And as for My Legs, all that goes to show is that the band had too much time on their hands one afternoon in 1983, creating a "comedic" play which could only possibly be funny if you happened to be there at the time.

It's not a one-star washout, because IQ fans will probably treasure a few pieces on here, but I suspect even they will find themselves drawn to a subset of the tracks on here; this isn't an album which is at all interesting or entertaining to listen to from beginning to end.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#635666) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 18, 2012

4 stars Published between Subterranea and The Seveth House albums, this CD should not be considered just a commercial publication used by bands to fill a period of no operations, and make money on some low quality songs previously never released. This album can be considered an unexpected source of go ... (read more)

Report this review (#41722) | Posted by luc4fun | Friday, August 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a collection of rarities songs that some are previously unreleased charts. This also could be added as the extra track for each their albums. I'm so impressed with this album, there are great songs inside. Sometimes I think myself, why are they didn't add the tracks to each their album ... (read more)

Report this review (#28149) | Posted by Atang | Tuesday, June 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IQ "The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999)"