THE LOST ATTIC - A COLLECTION OF RARITIES (1983-1999)

IQ

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy IQ Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1999

1. The Universal Scam 1997 (5:05)
2. Wintertell 1983 (3:02)
3. The Last Human Gateway (middle section) 1992 (4:02)
4. Hollow Afternoon (1999 recording) 1999 (4:41)
5. Apathetic And Here I... 1994 (7:27)
6. N.T.O.C. (Resistance) 1994 (4:49)
7. Eyes Of The Blind 1997 (3:15)
8. Barbell Is In (12" Lizard Mix) 1984 (6:29)
9. The Bold Grenadier 1987 (3:38)
10. My Legs 1983 (2:17)
11. Fascination 1987 (5:53)
12. Hollow Afternoon 1984 (4:52)
13. Awake And Nervous (radio session) 1984 (7:11)
14. Just Changing Hands (radio session) 1984 (5:17)
15. Widow's Peak (radio session) 1984 (8:52)

Search IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) lyrics

Search IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) tabs

- Peter Nicholls / lead & backing vocals
- Martin Orford / keyboards, bass pedals, guitar, backing vocals
- Mike Holmes / keyboards, bass pedals, guitar, backing vocals
- Paul Cook / drums
- John Jowitt / drums
- Tim Esau / bass (8/10/11/13/14/15)
- Paul Menel / bass (8/10/11/13/14/15)
- Les 'Ledge' Marshall / voice (10)

CD Giant Electric Pea GEPCD 1024 (1999)

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

Buy IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) Music

Imports 2012
Vinyl$36.73
SubterraneaSubterranea
IQ-Sold On You - Free UK post US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
J 4 L & P - KEEP ME SATISFIED - 1991 UK 12" Single ITALO-HOUSE - IQ Rec. VG++ US $8.04 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Rare Prog ! IQ "Corners (Remix) / Thousand Days" 1985 Sahara Rec. 7" vinyl US $11.36 [0 bids]
IQ - The Road Of Bones (Deluxe Edition) (NEW 2CD) US $27.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Fluffy Toy Iq - Let The Fun Begin - Splish #278209 US $6.48 Buy It Now 10h 45m
IQ - No Love Lost / Human Nature (1987 Promotional 12" Single. VERX 31DJ) Prog US $40.57 Buy It Now 10h 50m
LP IQ Nomzamo 1987 Prog Rock US $4.85 [0 bids]
IQ - EVER [IQ] - NEW CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Iq Collective - Rebound (Remixes) - 1996 #69908 US $6.48 Buy It Now 12h 19m
SONIA Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm IQ 1991 US $9.72 Buy It Now 12h 54m
Baby O - Ritmo De La Noche - Iq Records - 1991 #131326 US $6.48 Buy It Now 13h 13m
J4L & P - Keep Me Satisfied - Iq Records - 1991 #283037 US $6.48 Buy It Now 13h 13m
LP IQ Are You Sitting Comfortably? 1989 Prog Rock US $4.85 [0 bids]
2009 METAL ~ IQ ~ Frequency ~ RARE PROMO ~ PROMOTIONAL CD US $17.99 [0 bids]
16h
Claw Toe 6 track cd Criminal IQ US $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 44m
IQ - FREQUENCY (UK) NEW CD US $35.66 Buy It Now 22h 32m
IMORGON PARIS FUNKREAKTOR / IQ + 2 ULTRA RARE SWEDISH FUNK BEAT 12" 1982 !! US $337.49 Buy It Now 23h 10m
2004 FUNCTIONAL BLACKOUTS S/T Vinyl LP! Criminal IQ Records Chicago Punk Vee Dee US $13.00 Buy It Now 23h 11m
R:IQ#1 Marvellous Cain - Hitman (DJ Hype Remix) JUNGLE US $16.70 Buy It Now 1 day
Mozart for Mommies and Daddies: Jumpstart your Newborn's IQ (CD, Oct-1999) US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IQ The Road Of Bones 2x CD Digipak 2014 NEW & SEALED US $29.14 Buy It Now 1 day
IQ The Road Of Bones CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $21.02 Buy It Now 1 day
POSITIVE GANG Sweet Freedom 12" Ps, 3 Tracks, 60S Stylee/Sixteen Mix/Iq Version US $14.59 Buy It Now 1 day
IQ "ARE YOU SITTING COMFORTABLY" PROG ROCK VINYL ALBUM SQUAWK 836 429-1 US $23.54 Buy It Now 1 day
BABY GENIUS best IQ BUILDER with STIMULATING CLASSICAL MUSIC var artist NEW CD US $5.88 [0 bids]
FREQUENCY BY IQ (CD) US $21.37 Buy It Now 1 day
V.A. Classic Prog Mag. Present Little Fluffy Clouds W/ IQ, Anathema,Tiles US $4.95 [0 bids]
Increase Your IQ Subliminal CD boost intelligence improve brain power memory nlp US $15.95 [0 bids]
Iq - Frequency [CD New] US $24.97 Buy It Now 1 day
United - No IQ 1996 METAL BLADE RECS loudness outrage earthshaker US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBLIMINAL INTELLIGENCE ENHANCEMENT-INCREASE YOUR INTELLECT HIGH IQ BRAINWAVE CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FULL METAL HITS - 2X12" FRENCH PROMO - DEF LEPPARD, BON JOVI, KISS, IQ - RARE US $40.59 [0 bids]
IQ Forever Live 2-CD's 2005 Progressive Rock Arena / Flower Kings BRAND NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LOW IQ 01 - MASTER LOW FOR... Japan Edition CD F1 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ARENA Immortal CD Neo-Progressive Rock NEW IQ / Tangent / Pendragon Clive Nolan US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Subterranea by IQ (CD, Mar-2005, 2 Discs, SPV) US $14.71 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ-FREQUENCY (LIMITED EDITION) (BONUS DV... CD NEW US $20.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Iq - Subterranea [CD New] US $17.06 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ I.Q. I Q live concert very small mini poster print A5 size US $9.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Iq - Are You Sitting Comfortably? US $11.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Iq - The Seventh House US $11.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Now - Spheres - Cassette (Aragon, IQ, King Crimson) US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - SUBTERRANEA NEW CD US $26.42 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - FREQUENCY (LIMITED) - BONUS DVD (LTD) NEW CD US $26.42 Buy It Now 2 days
Frequency [CD & DVD] by Iq, IQ (CD, May-2009, 2 Discs, SPV) US $16.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Mode/IQ Mind/Soul Mini LP - Rare Pink Cover MIQ-033 with sleeve US $15.00 [0 bids]
(AQ726) Asaviour & DJ IQ, The A Loop Theory - DJ CD US $4.85 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ - Big Girls Don't Cry ep - New Sealed CD US $4.70 Buy It Now 2 days
IQ-THE ROAD OF BONES SPECIAL EDITION-JAPAN 2 CD Ltd/Ed Hi66 zd US $43.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Iq - Tales From The Lush Attic 2013 Re-Mix (Gatefold Cover) (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $24.34 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ - FOREVER LIVE [IQ] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] [693723244624] - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.29 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ - Girl Group - ROLL CALL CD/DVD - NM US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LUCHA LIBRE lo iq hi power LP 11 track double (stl025lp) uk satellite 1999 US $12.91 Buy It Now 3 days
NATIVE JAPAN CD ROOTS REGGAE SEALED IQ21 US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Iq - Frequency [CD New] US $18.90 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ DUTCH 1989 12" Single SOLD ON YOU US $5.67 Buy It Now 3 days
Seventh House - Iq New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.71 Buy It Now 3 days
(Listen Here) Fallen Angels - HELLO LOVER (DJ Hype Remixes) 12" IQ Records 1994 US $21.09 [0 bids]
IQ: J'ai Pollette D'Arnu [CD 1991] US $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Baby Genius IQ Builder with Stimulating Classic Music US $0.99 [0 bids]
A Word in Your Eye by The Lens (CD, Sep-2004, Inside Out) IQ Martin Orford US $12.25 Buy It Now 3 days
New ZTT Show IQ6 ZTT Sampler Deluxe Edition Blu-spec CD DVD Japan XECZ-1049 US $65.00 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ "Tales From The Lush Attic" 2013 Remix 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ "The Wake 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" (3CD/DVD-PAL, 2010) Free Ship US $35.79 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ "The Wake Live At De Boerderij Zoetermeer, Holland June 19, 2010" CD/DVD-PAL US $16.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Ever by IQ (CD, Apr-2005, Inside Out Music) US $9.58 Buy It Now 3 days
IQ-THE ROAD OF BONES (REGULAR EDITION)-JAPAN CD Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 4 days
IQ - DARK MATTER NEW CD US $21.98 Buy It Now 4 days
PLAYBACK VOLUME 1 various LP 10 track featuring re-flex, astrakhan, iq, jenny ja US $8.10 Buy It Now 4 days
V.A.DERBY - Japan CD - NEW J-POP IQ20 , KARL OS PUPPET US $11.39 Buy It Now 4 days
IQ Rare UK 1984 7" Single BARBELL IS IN With AUTOGRAPHED SLEEVE US $29.21 Buy It Now 4 days
Iq - Seventh House (NEW CD) US $19.06 Buy It Now 4 days
IQ - Forever Live (2CD+VHS 1996) NTSC collectors set US $29.99 [0 bids]
VEE DEE s/t LP 2004 Criminal IQ CHICAGO PUNK 2004 NM Silkscreen Cover 1st PRESS US $4.99 [0 bids]
Iq - Ever [CD New] US $12.24 Buy It Now 4 days
Japanese Heavy Metal Cartoon Kerrang No: 66 Cover 1984 Motley Crue IQ Nightwing US $12.18 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy IQ music online Buy IQ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IQ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) ratings distribution

IQ The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) reviews

Review by Greger
4 stars The progressive rock band IQ is releasing a rarities album with old and new songs, unused songs, fan club releases, previously unreleased songs, contributions on other CDs, 12" single releases, gig releases and BBC radio sessions. Previously hard-to-get songs are collected on this release. You might think that this is something only for the die-hard IQ fans out there, but that's oh so wrong! I had never heard IQ before I got this CD, and now I'm really curious to hear more. If these unreleased songs is so good, what about the albums? I can only imagine! Their music is neo-progressive / symphonic rock in the same vein as MARILLION, LANDMARQ and PENDRAGON, but sometimes also RUSH and YES. The vocals are very varied. Sometimes they remind of Dicken and Edward Carter of Mr. Big, and sometimes of Peter GABRIEL. My favourite song is "Hollow Afternoon (1999 recording)". This song is sending shivers down my spine. What a beautiful song! Other highlights are the opening track "The Universal Scam" and the beautiful ballad "Eyes Of the Blind". Both songs were originally intended for their album "Subterranea". Another great track is "The Last Human Gateway (middle section)". The only really awful song on this CD is "Barbell is in (12" Lizard Mix). Another unnecessary track is the spoken track "My Legs", although it's quite funny. The excellent 20-page booklet made by Tony Lythgoe with a cover illustration made by Peter Nicholls is very informative. It's got lyrics, comments, photos, history, and information on each track and much more. This is surely a must have for all IQ fans, but it does stand for itself even though you've never heard IQ before. If you're curious about IQ, buy this album. Recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#28148) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 21, 2004

Review by loserboy
5 stars Well being a big IQ and having access to another CD of their early and unrelased songs sounds like a great idea to me (once again thanks Richard!). "The Lost Attic" explores many of the missing pieces from IQ's past including tracks which did not make it onto "Subterranea", "Tales From The Lush Attic" and "The Wake". But listen my friends don't chalk this up as fragments or scraps from their past which were second rate. . . to quote a "Richard'ism ", this is a "Top Drawer" piece of work. Several songs have been re-recorded including a real lost gem "Hollow Afternoon" which I have had for a long time with major vinyl imperfections throughout. Historical snipets include 3 tracks recorded back in the early 80's for the BBC live, "Barbell Is In (Lizard Mix)" and "Apathetic And Here I" (A delicate piece in memory of the late Geoff MANN with a great IQ touch... a personal fav!!!!) to name a few. Even a few Paul Menel lost gems for those who followed IQ through the thick and thin. "The Lost Attic" is essential if you are into IQ and like me can not ever get enough of 'em.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28145) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

Review by lor68
4 stars Another excellent album, featuring some previously unreleased songs regarding the early stuff and other more recent material as well. A good production, sometimes remarkable, which can be a good place to start with their music.

It is not a masterpiece, but it can complete your collection of new progressive rock (naturally if you are into this easier kind of modern light progressive music in the vein of early GENESIS...)

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#28146) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 02, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I have always been rather suspect with "rarities" albums. Being Tull or Led Zep ones. So, even if I do like IQ, this album could only be a questionable affair.

The band has been quite unproductive in terms of new material during the last two years. I doubt that IQ have millions of fans to please with whatever release they would output. I am just a fan expecting a good album from this good band. Nothing more, but no less.

There will be some nice moments like "The Universal Scam", "NTOC" and of course the very emotional middle part of "The Last Human Gateway".

When I listen to "Barbell Is In" I can only do one thing : get out as far as possible to avoid listening to this awful song. Even worse than "Corners" on their second album. DO press next. Oooups. Press next again since the bloody "Corners" is just sitting here. I guess that it was one of the lost "jewels" of the band. Absolutely dreadful. One of the top three most disgusting IQ song.

And we'll get all in a row because the stupid "Bold Grenadier" won't add anything interesting to the IQ repertoire. Really dull. An attempt of being funny with "My Legs" is really out of my reach. So stupid and useless...

This "collection" of songs (or partial songs) is absolutely way behind the usual production of the band. At times, there will be some interesting moments but all of these will be taken care on traditional IQ albums. This one is just a PITA.

I am quite hesitant in rating an IQ "album" with one star. This release will only escape this rating thanks to "Awake & Nervous", "Just Changing Hands" and "Widow's Peak".

Do not buy this poor IQ release. It really does not deserve more than two stars. And I have been quite gentle with the band since their first recording. This one is an insult to the fan (to which I belong). Let's quickly forget about this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#126182) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) is a compilation album by UK progressive rock act IQ. As the title suggests it´s a collection of outtakes, single tracks, remixes, re-recordings, radio sessions and other obscurities from the years 1983- 1999. The album features quite an impressive booklet with lyrics for all songs and also comments for each track from the various members of the band.

The compilation features some pretty cool stuff if you´re a fan of IQ but also some more obscure things that even fans might not be very interested in. Fortunately the former is mostly the case. Personally I find the reggae inspired Barbell Is In (12" Lizard Mix), the playing in the studio fun track My Legs and the traditional folky The Bold Grenadier to be on the more obscure side while songs like The Universal Scam, the 1999 re-recording of the 1984 single track Hollow Afternoon ( which also appear in its original form) and Apathetic And Here I... to be some of the highlights. The very Genesis like Wintertell also scores some good points with me. The sound quality is good throughout and even the older songs have quite a nice sound.

I originally purchased The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) in one of my compulsive album buying sprees at a time where I was very interested in IQ. I didn´t even look hard enough to see that it wasn´t a studio album, so when I came home and discovered that it was a compilation I wasn´t too happy. Knowing very little about IQ in those days I was much more interested in listening to some of their "real" albums. Therefore The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) didn´t get many spins before it ended up in my basement collecting dust. Having heard most of IQ´s output since then, I suddenly remembered that I had this compilation of rare and unreleased tracks stored in the basement and felt it was time to give it another spin. While I would chose one of the Peter Nicholls led studio albums any day over this compilation album, I actually find it pretty good, and save for a few hardcore fan tracks, I would rate most of the songs on The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999) somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. So a 3 star rating is well deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#272317) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars IQ's The Lost Attic is precisely what it claims to be - a rarities collection - and as such like most rarities collections it aims directly for the "fans and collectors only" category rather than anything better. With tracks taken from various sources ranging from the band's home demos to the Subterranea sessions, the sound quality here is decidedly variable.

Some songs are fairly reasonable - Apathetic and Here, I and Hollow Afternoon are decent pieces (the former having been recorded for a tribute album to the late Geoff Mann, a friend of the band) - and the concluding radio session tracks are pretty good, but for the most part this is a jumble of rejects and alternate versions which will only be of interest to IQ fanatics.

For instance, The Universal Scam and Wintertell are both rejected songs from past albums (Subterranea and Tales from the Lush Attic respectively), and in both cases I'm left with the impression that cutting them out was 100% the right call because they just aren't up to the standards of the other songs from the relevant releases. Most of the alternate versions of tracks here are simply inferior to the versions IQ fans will already be familiar with. And as for My Legs, all that goes to show is that the band had too much time on their hands one afternoon in 1983, creating a "comedic" play which could only possibly be funny if you happened to be there at the time.

It's not a one-star washout, because IQ fans will probably treasure a few pieces on here, but I suspect even they will find themselves drawn to a subset of the tracks on here; this isn't an album which is at all interesting or entertaining to listen to from beginning to end.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#635666) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 18, 2012

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars While the next couple of years IQ focused on promoting ''Subterranea'' via live performances, they did not stay away from regular appearances on music stores' shelves.First comes the 98' re-recording and release of their 82' premature ''Seven stories into eight'' album, which was a trully exciting trip to the past, and then, in 1999, comes a nice collection, entitled ''The lost attic''.This albums contains recordings spanning from mid-80's to the millenium and includes alternates versions of some of IQ's most well-known numbers, live sessions, covers, demo executions of studio pieces and even some leftovers.

Part of the album offers pieces, originally included in singles heading for the fan club of the band: A lovely performance on the middle section of ''The last human gateway'', a surprising execution of the Folk-oriented ''The bold grenadier'' with beautiful orchestral synths and synthetic vibes in a MIKE OLDFIELD-like enviroment, a version of ''Fascination'' with Paul Menel on vocals, and one of IQ's rarest cuts, ''Hollow afternoon'', which features a big symphonic sound with powerful keyboards and excellent guitar soloing, not far from the sound of ''Fascination''.

The cover presented is ''Apathetic and here, I...'', originally written by Geoff Mann for his album ''Second chants'' and this version comes from the 94' tribute album ''Mannerisms''.It's got a weird New Wave vibe over an atmosphere of acoustic lines with a discreet Neo Prog feel.''N.T.O.C. (Resistance)'' was originally part of the 93' SI compilation ''Disc too'' and here the group exhibits a style reminiscent of the Paul Menel era, featuring a somewhat rockin'/poppy vibe on vocals but also an impressive instrumental depth with full-blown synths and sampled organs as well as some great guitar runs.

''Awake and nervous'', Just changing hands'' and ''Widow's peak'' are the three pieces coming from an 84' BBC session, no more to add, fantastic songs, arrangements and live capturing by the band in three classic cuts of IQ's endless, succesful repertoire.

The ''Subterranea'' outtakes are represented here by ''Eyes for the blind'' and ''The universal scam'', which work as complementary tracks and are up there with the album's atmosphere.Starting with the first, the atmosphere is melancholic, laid-back and lyrical with only bass and keyboards in the forefront, while the second one is bombastic Neo Prog with a rich and dynamic style with the sign of IQ all over the place.

Other tracks include a 1999 re-recording of the lost-in-time ''Hollow afternoon'', the excellent acoustic ballad ''Wintertell'' with its amazing British flavor, the humoristic, almost cartoon-like ''My legs'' with the vocal distortions and the following effects and a rather pale, Reggae-like edition of ''Barbell is in'', which could be a nice listening, while drinking a mojito at a beach bar.

All in all a pretty cool compilation of archival and more recent recordings by IQ, which varies from Pop Rock to bombastic Neo Prog and scans different periods of the band's history.Great addition for all IQ fans, but also a nice purchase for lovers of diverse music discoveries, always surrounded by a proggy background.Recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1236772) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 07, 2014

4 stars Published between Subterranea and The Seveth House albums, this CD should not be considered just a commercial publication used by bands to fill a period of no operations, and make money on some low quality songs previously never released. This album can be considered an unexpected source of go ... (read more)

Report this review (#41722) | Posted by luc4fun | Friday, August 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a collection of rarities songs that some are previously unreleased charts. This also could be added as the extra track for each their albums. I'm so impressed with this album, there are great songs inside. Sometimes I think myself, why are they didn't add the tracks to each their album ... (read more)

Report this review (#28149) | Posted by Atang | Tuesday, June 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IQ "The Lost Attic - A Collection Of Rarities (1983-1999)"