THE CONGREGATION

2. Third Law (6:18)
3. Rewind (7:07)
4. The Flood (7:51)
5. Triumphant (4:25)
6. Within My Fence (3:16)
7. Red (6:35)

- Baard Kolstad / Drums
- Martin Skrebergene / Bass

Label: InsideOut Music
Format: CD, Digital, CD/2LP
May 25, 2015 (Europe) June 2, 2015 (North America)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to aapatsos for the last updates

LEPROUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LEPROUS The Congregation Music

CongregationCongregation
Imports 2015
Vinyl$20.56
The Congregation by LeprousThe Congregation by Leprous
InsideOutMusic

The Congregation by Leprous (Vinyl, Feb-2017, 2 Discs, Alone Records) USD $37.92 Buy It Now 17h 19m
The Congregation by Leprous. USD $19.11 Buy It Now 1 day
LEPROUS-THE CONGREGATION-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F30 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Leprous - The Congregation (NEW DOUBLE VINYL PIC DISC) USD $31.30 Buy It Now 4 days
LEPROUS The Congregation + 1 JAPAN CD Emperor Ihsahn USD $27.40 Buy It Now 7 days
Leprous - Congregation [New CD] UK - Import USD $10.42 Buy It Now 7 days
LEPROUS THE CONGREGATION [2 LP] silver new USD $79.00 Buy It Now 9 days
LEPROUS-CONGREGATION CD NEW USD $22.48 Buy It Now 11 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION NEW VINYL RECORD USD $28.42 Buy It Now 12 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION NEW CD USD $31.39 Buy It Now 12 days
Leprous - Congregation [New CD] UK - Import USD $9.46 Buy It Now 13 days
LEPROUS "The Congregation" 2015 (InsideOut) Prog-Metal..Great!!! USD $5.99 Buy It Now 16 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION, 2017 PICTURE DISC vinyl 2LP, 500 COPIES! SEALED! USD $35.99 Buy It Now 18 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION CD USD $4.49 Buy It Now 20 days
Leprous - 'The Congregation' Record, 180 Gram Vinyl ( 2 X LP) USD $19.12 Buy It Now 20 days
Congregation - Leprous LP USD $28.43 Buy It Now 21 days
Leprous-The Congregation CD NEW USD $14.24 Buy It Now 21 days
Congregation - Leprous 5052205071328 (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.42 Buy It Now 22 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION CD NEW+ USD $13.30 Buy It Now 23 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION (2LP) 2 VINYL LP NEW+ USD $30.39 Buy It Now 23 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION NEW CD USD $10.41 Buy It Now 24 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION, ORG 2015 GERMAN vinyl 2LP, NEW - SEALED! USD $23.99 Buy It Now 26 days
LEPROUS - THE CONGREGATION USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.40 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy LEPROUS music online Buy LEPROUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

LEPROUS The Congregation ratings distribution

LEPROUS The Congregation reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'The Congregation' - Leprous (90/100)

Let it be kept no secret: I firmly believe Leprous are the most evocative band operating within progressive metal today. While I had been impressed with their breakthrough release Tall Poppy Syndrome, their 2011 monument Bilateral took me by storm, and still stands as one of the most inventive, breathtaking observations in metal this side of the new millennium. Each new Leprous album is an instant classic in my eyes, and even if time will inevitably be kinder to some of their records over others, I rest assured in the near-certainty that I'll still be listening to them a decade-- even two decades from now. It should suffice to say there are few other contemporary artists I could say the same in truth about.

Much like their considerably more uplifting British counterparts in Haken, Leprous have paired their startling quality with a prolific work ethic. Every two years, the band have taken their sound a step further. Now, with The Congregation, 2015 brokers no exception to the pattern. Given how much love I've had for their past masterpieces, I need not specify how eagerly I awaited hearing Leprous' fifth offering. Whether or not it was going to be fantastic wasn't even a question in my mind; rather, I was more intrigued by how they might change their sound. If Bilateral was defined by its sporadic urgency, and its follow-up Coal responded in turn with greater focus and minimalism, then The Congregation may be seen both as an advance on this trajectory, as well as an acknowledgement concerning things Coal didn't do as well as its predecessor. Namely, the new album brings a revitalized emotional immediacy to Leprous' music, and in this respect I am more affected than I have been by an album in many a while.

This is a masterpiece of a sort, to be sure, and though it bears strong resemblance with Coal, the vocal few who rightly declaimed the band's last album as a weaker offering than Bilateral might find themselves pleasantly surprised here. No, The Congregation doesn't strike me with the same impetuous spontaneity as Bilateral, nor does it keep my left-brain quite as much on the edge. However, I also think that repeating that same formula would have proved fruitless, both on this and Coal; being sporadic and jumpy is a trait of youth, and Leprous have long since matured as a group.

This matured Leprous-- occasionally better likened to an avant-garde, theatrical Anathema than the metal of their heyday- was proudly introduced on Coal, but it's only on The Congregation that the emotional resonance has built up to match their obvious technical abilities. So many of the ways I would describe the last album could again apply to this one: heavy, but not for the blunt force of the parts so much as the way they are used. Vivid and occasionally dissonant instrumentation, like an unchained King Crimson. Secretly more groove-oriented than any prog rock band has any right of being, and, not least of all, indelibly fuelled by the voice of frontman Einar Solberg. All of these might go on to describe The Congregation even moreso than its predecessor, but the amplification of Coal's best elements has resulted in a much different tone and experience. The Congregation may be the most emotionally hard- hitting album of Leprous career thus far-- and I'm including my personal favourite in that count as well.

Where some of my favourite progressive albums take a few listens to 'get' them, The Congregation had me hooked from the first listen. Although Leprous are one of the best musical units around (you'd have to be to play alongside Ihsahn) I've always thought vocalist Einar Solberg to be the band's shining light. Even when the band are immersed in a polyrhythmic groove or focused build-up, he uses his considerable range and presence to convey depth currently unsurpassed in the genre. Though this thought is by no means exclusive to The Congregation, I do think Solberg's voice is a large part of what makes Leprous one of my favourite modern acts. His soaring delivery is comparable to Muse's Matt Bellamy, albeit without the adolescent whine attached to it. Although it may be a further stretch to describe them as a prog metal The Mars Volta, high-register vocal acrobatics are at least one thing he shares with Cedric Bixler-Zavala. Suffice to say, the band has become increasingly vocal-oriented with every album; the veer towards minimalism and gradually building grooves over the past two albums have offered Solberg much greater opportunity to test his voice, an his vocals have become proportionately sharper to compensate.

Valid arguments may be fostered to the contrary, but I do think this is the most musically complex work Leprous have produced. There aren't any abrupt shifts in pace, but the ingredients are often mind- bending, potentially even moreso given that they work so smoothly together. The addictive groove on "The Price" (easily the most compelling single I've heard in 2015, by the way!) would probably look like academic jabberwocky on paper, but the way Leprous pull it off, it feels accessible. The syncopated guitar noise of "The Third Law" sounds far-flung enough to befit math rock than anything of a stately, progressive angle. I could give many more examples; my point is that Leprous have mastered the use of technique and complexity to such an extent that they can effectively mask it.

Orchestrating complex music is difficult enough a task on its own; to draw those orchestrations full-circle to the point of becoming accessible is an entirely different game. As much as my life and listening have been altered by progressive music (for the better-- I hope!) it is a rare thing to hear an artist back away from their wizard hats and mellotron collection to make complex art with a grasp on the heart. I don't mean that flimsy Floydian 'feeling' every progger with a knack for pentatonic scales tries to shill out-- I mean an addictive, balls-hitting, cutting-edge passion. The Cardiacs had that game nailed. Anathema does it. Haken does it. At this point however, I don't think anyone has Leprous beat.

Given The Congregation's subtly mind-bending complexity, it's all the more of an accomplishment that the album manages to hit so close to home emotionally. Upon my first spin of the album, I remember "Slave" coming on and coming close to welling up. Although the lyrics aren't particularly poignant, Solberg's delivery tells a story of its own. Though Coal was forged from many of the same elements as this, the music there was tense; even angry-- at least as far as the term can apply to prog rock With The Congregation, that anger has subsided to an introspective melancholy.

I've seen it written more than once that Leprous reviews tend to fall short of describing the music with precision. This challenge should be testament to the band's originality as an act, especially considering they manage to get this impression across without using truly outlandish shortcuts. Be that as it may, I'll give my best attempt here. As far as The Congregation goes; think what Gojira (circa The Way of All Flesh) would sound like if they were using the amps and production of Queens of the Stone Age. Or maybeWeather Systems-era Anathema, fuelled with the energy of a progressive metal The Mars Volta. All of this, fronted with one of the strongest voices I've heard in years. The Congregation isn't quite as much of an evolution in style as the last two records were. Indeed, there are a couple of issues that have been apparent from the first listen onward; the lyrics are a little too laconic to say anything on their own, and the album has little in the way of complimentary flow between songs; I do wonder if the album may have been made better by changing the sequence of tracks up a bit. Nonetheless; this is a great step forward for Leprous, and a masterful one at that. The introduction of drummer Baard Kolstad to the fold has been of the most propitious lineup changes I've seen in a band in modern years. With The Congregation, Leprous have once again proven that my recognition of them once as the most promising band in progressive music has been well-founded. Time and again, they've delivered on that promise, and I cannot wait until their next presumably unfolds in 2017.

Originally written for Heathen Harvest Periodical

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
5 stars I'm going to agree with the many reviewers here who are extolling the virtues of this album. It is, in my opinion, a very powerful Prog Metal album which displays the continued refinement and maturation of these musician/songwriters. Vocalist Einar Solberg continues to show virtuosic mastery of his craft--yet with continued refinements in his restraint, control, and use of space and simplicity. All powerful developments for the overall impact of the songs here. Coal was a real step forward from Bilateral and Tall Poppy Syndrome which both had a lot of elements of quirk, humor and pop woven into the song and melody structures, but The Congregation seems to show of a band that is finally comfortable with its style--a band that knows and uses its strengths through and through. While I find this overall a very powerful album, there are weaker songs and then there are absolute masterpieces.

5 star songs: "Rewind" (7:07) (10/10); "Slave" (6:38) (10/10); "Moon" (7:13) (9/10); "The Flood" (9/10); "Down" (6:26) (9/10); "Lower" (4:34) (9/10), and; "Red" (6:36) (8/10).

Album of the Year? I don't know. It's a great one! "Rewind" and "Slave" are must hears! Two of the best of the year, to be sure!

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
5 stars In the modern world of progressive metal it seems very few bands can find their footing, much less incrementally improve upon every subsequent release but Norwegian progressive metal band LEPROUS is proving to be the exception by releasing one outstanding album after the other and with their fourth studio release THE CONGREGATION they show no signs of breaking this trend anytime soon despite experiencing a somewhat unstable lineup since their formation. On CONGREGATION we see the departure of bassist Rein Blomquist who is replaced Simen Daniel Børven and the exit stage right of Tobias Ørnes Andersen who is replaced by Baard Kolstad. Both of the new musicians fit it quite well with the style, groove and approach laid out by frontman and guitarist Tor Oddmund Suhke and it could almost be stated that their addition brings a fuller more congruous sound to the LEPROUS legacy.

While not substantially different than "Coal," LEPROUS seems to up their game subtly in every department. First and foremost they excel at strong songwriting with melodic hooks and knowing how to let certain instruments lead and follow. This formula is impeccably utilized throughout the entire album always serving the strong melodic hooks while adding the proper ingredients to wring out every possible potential lurking in the spaces between notes. I have always found LEPROUS masters at this game whether it be there knack for the spastic staccato approach of the chords and riffing or simply the accompaniment of the keyboards creating a counterpoint to the guitars and bass that adds an eerie ambient layer to a strong metal delivery system as well as finding a perfect balance between tempo, decibel dynamics and production effects.

It cannot be stated enough how important a lead vocalist to a really stellar progressive metal band and it is Einar Solberg whose voice is just perfect for this particular brand of prog metal. He has the operatic qualities of the best in the biz yet doesn't sound like he swallowed a cat or has had his male parts pinched in a vise-grip. The interplay of the instruments creating a larger than life melodic delivery is this band's major attribute and despite the album being a staggering hour plus affair, i don't lost interest in it no matter how many times i hear it and actually crave hearing it again. While on paper one cannot state the reasons why LEPROUS is in a league above the competition, however it is utterly apparent when one listens to the meticulously designed unfolding of the tracks on board. Somehow everything is paced and placed in just the right ratios. All elements present themselves in just the right proportions and the band has mastered the art of knowing when enough is enough and changing it up. I resisted LEPROUS for the longest time because i usually find hype to be overblown but in this case i'm on board and am finding THE CONGREGATION to be one of their strongest offerings to date.

For me the real beauty is how the individual parts of the tracks sound like they are so close to clashing and derailing the fragile beauty of the melodic flow but always somehow resolve themselves like a hero saving a damsel in distress being tied to the railroad tracks scenario. While this music can sound stilted and jarring for those used to a more straightforward approach of prog metal, for this who love those little "off" types of features that add tension and distress to their musical experience, then look no further than LEPROUS who once again proves they are on the top of their game putting some true "progressiveness" into their unique brand of prog metal. Vocal harmonics, production, symphonic accompaniments and instrumental interplay all display themselves in perfect tandem for my tastes. THE CONGREGATION is utterly addictive. While most releases contain 11 tracks, there are some with a 12th track titled "Pixel" which is a bonus track on certain editions. IMHO this is not an essential track so don't worry if you skip it. I actually prefer my copy without despite being good.

Review by FragileKings
3 stars "The Congregation" by Norwegian progressive metal band Leprous first caught my attention when I saw it had made the top ten of the Prog Archives Top 100 of 2015. The artwork in particular intrigued me. I had sampled a bit of the band's music earlier after hearing about their album "Bilateral", but at the time there was nothing that bowled me over. After watching the video for "The Price" however, I felt certain that there was something for me on this album and at last I brought it home a few weeks ago.

To be sure, there are many great things to be said about the record. The music is largely if not entirely comprised of drums, bass, two electric guitars, some keyboards, and singer Einar Solberg's voice. There seems to me to very little in the way of overdubs and it occurred to me that there are next to no guitar solos, perhaps none at all. The musical arrangement sounds as if these boys were given an eight track recorder and told to try not to use the extra two tracks whenever possible. Thus the sound is rather sparse with only the five instruments and the vocals, though in at least two songs a rougher, angrier voice comes in which seems to be a guest appearance by Ihsahn.

It's not just the lack of instruments or overdubs that make the music here sound sparse. It's also how the instruments are employed throughout the songs. There are many songs that include simple riffs where the chords are played out in short bursts at odd intervals. The drums are often the busiest instrument, keeping a lively pattern going while the guitars strike with these simple chords: da-daah-dum, da-daa, da-da, da-daah-dum. The keyboards mostly provide atmosphere and sometimes play instead of the guitars so that with a simple bass and a roving drum pattern, the vocals float overtop a barely populated space. This works very well when listening to specific tracks, and for my money, the music reaches is best potential on "Rewind".

There is unfortunately a negative aspect to the album's musical approach and that is that there isn't much else going on. I recognize that this may be exactly what the band were shooting for. I read that they felt "Bilateral" was a little too all over the place in moods and they wanted "Coal" to be more focused and darker. Maybe they were trying to carry that on with "The Congregation". The album cover very well describes the feeling of the music inside. It's grey, there might be animal skulls, or possible some mutation or grafting. There might be a struggle and possibly a strong melancholy feel that needs overcoming. It's possible to pick almost any two or three songs and get a good feel for the album because there is little variety in the music here. It sounds good and creative and interesting. But the formula gets stretched across the entire 11 tracks and the 12 track serving as a bonus track doesn't exactly throw anything new our way.

If this were a new band with a tight budget, I's say they really worked their way around their restrictions. As for what I actually have here before me, it's a great effort with some quality song-writing. I'd just prefer some other components present to help make a few more tracks really stand out for me.

3 stars My first impression of this album had me pretty excited. Leprous manage to create a unique enough sound to stand out amongst the plethora of metalcore-ish prog bands out there. It should be pointed out that the first times I did listen to this album is was more as a background listen (while doin ... (read more)

Report this review (#1583907) | Posted by Bucklebutt | Tuesday, June 28, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars In a way I coincide with some of the detractors of the fifth album of the band Leprous. They have been evolving continuously but some of the band's movements were not necessarily good, or at least they were risky to the global project. In particular, the band nearly completely dropped the solo pas ... (read more)

Report this review (#1580269) | Posted by poito | Sunday, June 19, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Norway's progressive metal quintet, Leprous, have been in the spotlight for a number of years now since their sophomore breakthrough, Tall Poppy Syndrome, and thanks to their ability to renew their sound with each album, without repeating the same formula over and over again, their popularity is sti ... (read more)

Report this review (#1540368) | Posted by Porcupineapple | Wednesday, March 16, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars With The Congregation, Leprous moves firmly into experimental/post-rock category, though to be sure, they are neither that experimental nor that post-. Continuing the evolution of their previous Coal album, they gradually replace their old stylings of mashing various metal sub-genres together wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1505222) | Posted by Progrussia | Wednesday, December 30, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the best Prog Metal albums I've heard so far. It's very well recorded (very clean audio) and well played (especially the drums), focusing in songwriting which is it's strengthness. I had lots of expectations for this album, since Leprous already delivered two others masterpieces ( ... (read more)

Report this review (#1425224) | Posted by Deadwing | Tuesday, June 9, 2015 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Man, this is really bad.... This album has excellent reviews (#1 of 2015 for PA, #6 of 2015 for RYM) and it's a prog metal album. So I really HAD to check this out. Really, I didn't like this. The musicians are good (especially the drummer who is excellent) but the compositions are not great, I do ... (read more)

Report this review (#1424826) | Posted by floflo79 | Sunday, June 7, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With Bilateral I did the worst review, the worst mark for a prog metal album ...I did not find anything original there with similar works of similar bands...but now... Who...'''Sometimes happen that all combines for the best....best musicianship ,best composition inspiration, best songs ever be ... (read more)

Report this review (#1423607) | Posted by robbob | Thursday, June 4, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Leprous outdid themselves with this one! Their new found sound - well kind of new, since an "aura" of sorts was already showcased in Coal - has proven very exciting. There are some excellent songs in this record ranging from a wide variety of sounds, including power ballads like The Flood, ... (read more)

Report this review (#1422744) | Posted by Blackwater Floyd | Tuesday, June 2, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars OK ok :D this is not gonna be easy but hell yeah! the final rating is 10/10 oh they want it to be of some value or wait? is not just this the way it is like no words and you know.. nifty kniffles this is certainly tripable metal. hoioioiioi... just genious! ...and still several more li ... (read more)

Report this review (#1420211) | Posted by Mind_Drive | Wednesday, May 27, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My expectations were very high with this one. I loved all the Leprous' albums, but I know that every band has to decline, one day. That day has not come yet for Leprous. When I first listened to the single, "The Price", I totally fell in love with it: the perfect combination of complexity and si ... (read more)

Report this review (#1418000) | Posted by Mattone | Thursday, May 21, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Review Except from Black Wind Metal Full review posted at blackwindmetal.com/leprous-the-congregation/ Coal's introspective, dark aesthetic was controversial, and I recall a lot of disappointment from critics two years ago. I do not expect there to be nearly as much dissent this time around, how ... (read more)

Report this review (#1403336) | Posted by Daggor | Friday, April 24, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LEPROUS "The Congregation"