AT THE CINEMA

Rousseau

Rousseau At The Cinema album cover

Buy ROUSSEAU Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Welcome To The Cinema (0:55)
2. Now Or Never (3:10)
3. Rendez-vous (5:05)
4. All I Want (3:34)
5. Waterfront (3:21)
6. If This Is Heaven (5:10)
7. Retreat (2:56)
8. Back In These Arms (4:06)
9. Seattle (3:16)
10. Short Cut To Somewhere (1:46)
11. Halland (3:21)

- Rainer Hofmann / piano, keyboards
- Dieter Beermann / bass
- Ali Pfeffer / drums, percussion

Cd. Musea FGBG 4436.AR

ROUSSEAU MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROUSSEAU At The Cinema Music

At The CinemaAt The Cinema
Musea 2002

More places to buy ROUSSEAU music online Buy ROUSSEAU & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ROUSSEAU DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROUSSEAU At The Cinema ratings distribution

ROUSSEAU At The Cinema reviews

Review by lor68
1 stars Sorry but I'm very disappointed about it!! I think of their best album "Retreat", talking about such splendid instrumentals like "Breakfast at Tyffany's", and now I can't believe it!! Has this recent album been issued by the same band?!? The present album consists of 14 very tepid songs, lacking of the flute and of the whole sound of "Light Canterbury" as well...moreover here They alternatebanal melodies to the old (a very few ones) pleasant atmospheres, but my opinion doesn't change at all, I'm very disappointed about it!!

Therefore I don't understand whether it is their nostalgia concerning their comeback to a Recording Studio or the intention to get fun with an easier and easier stuff!! I don't know the reason but it never minds, cause the light sound of Canterbury will be in my opinion always represented by their best album "Retreat" or by "MoonMadness" by Camel, without forgetting other important issues like those ones by Recordando O Vale Das Macas or other SouthAmerican "Canterburian" bands.

Try other light (but more clever) stuff concerning this genre!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#28550) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I wondered what was the kick for "Rousseau" to get togehter fifteen years after their last album. Not the pleasure to be together again since only two members played on "Square The Circle" : Pfeffer on drums and Hofman on the keys. The magic of their first two albums is maybe not fully present on this one but it is still not a bad album.

My favourite song of this album is "Rendez-Vous". Full of melody and beauty. Very soft start, but it'll get a litle wilder once Scharz will produce a Gilmouresque guitar solo. A great and emotional part; no doubt.

We won't leave the Floyding mood with "All I Want" but not for the same reasons. On this one, it will be the voice that is related to David. Just average (not Dave but the track). Another highlight of the album is "Waterfront". The guitar play is again excellent (reminds me Josh from Mostly Autumn). "If This Is Heaven" surprisingly explores a bit the folkish mood. The link with Mostly Autumn is again easy (same apllies to "Back In These Arms" which also features a nice violin break).

We'll be reverted to the old "Rousseau" sound as well with "Retreat". Extremely sweet and full of harmony. It is a wonderful and peaceful song like the band has produced a lot. Some weak moments as well on this album. Actually, from "Seattle" through ..."Through" (sorry about this) the album is getting poor.

As usual, we' ll have a title in French (I wonder why they did so...). "Amour Fou" (crazy love) has nothing to do with a crazy song : not so exciting unfortunately.

The last song is again a very tranquil and very nice one. Seems that Rousseau wanted to say goodbye like they said hello some twenty-years ago with "Flower In Asphalt". I have to say that it is a wonderful goodbye. On par with "Rendez-Vous".

This album is of course far from being essential but still, it holds some good songs not too far from the spirit of their early releases. Like I have mentioned, several songs remind me of MA. For the first time as well, the new lead singer sounds good.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#132853) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 12, 2007

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
2 stars Rousseau is a German outfit that released three albums in the Eighties (all of which are available on Musea), and after fourteen years with nothing have released an album of all new material. I have to say that this quite a strange album to play as it is virtually an instrumental followed by a song, followed by an instrumental all the way through which is certainly uncommon. The album commences with a piano-led instrumental, which although quite short and pleasant did make me think that I would be listening to an album of laid back classical instrumentals and nothing else.

But, the songs themselves are quite different, and are sung in English so they are easy to understand. This is music that is very heavily influenced by Camel, and nothing wrong with that I hear you say. Jörg Schwarz has a voice that is sometimes reminiscent of Nick Barrett and if another band could be looked for within Rousseau's music than it would be Pendragon, particularly when it is uplifting and full of pomp. I would have preferred to hear an album that wasn't quite so formulaic in it's' outlook and containing less of the instrumentals but overall this is a pleasant listen while not groundbreaking or earth shattering.

Originally appeared in Feedback #71, Dec 02

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#978659) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

Post a review of ROUSSEAU "At The Cinema"