GILA - FREE ELECTRIC SOUND

- Daniel Alluno / drums, bongos, tabla
- Fritz Scheyhing / organ, Mellotron, percussion, electronics
- Conny Veit / guitars, voice, tabla, electronics
- Walter Wiederkehr / bass

Lp. BASF 20.21109-6 / Lp. Peak LRS 202 1109 (1983) / Cd. Second Battle SB 021 (1997) / Cd. ZYX Music 7001 (1999)

GILA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GILA Gila - Free Electric Sound Music

LP bury my heart at wounded knee ~ USD $24.19
LP live in cologne, 26 february 1972 ~ USD $21.71
CD night works ~ USD $18.29

More places to buy GILA music online Buy GILA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GILA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GILA Gila - Free Electric Sound ratings distribution

GILA Gila - Free Electric Sound reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars This is regarded by krautrock specialist as a masterpiece and I am not far from agreeing. But as usual , most of these German groups devolopped a raw saw and on record never really refined it either and this may set back some people. Bands like ADII ,Can, Ash Ra , their albums were raw and bare to the bone, and do not look for symphonic orchestration or over-production in those unrefined , rough diamonds . This is a real gem in the space rock genre but very intimate climate .

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#28850) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

Review by loserboy
5 stars Recorded in Cologne in 1971 this was the debut progressive krautrock monster. A Krautrock classic and festifav in this household offering everything you could ask for in an album... drifty, blasting psychedelic rock with electronic effects, acid guitars, acoustic guitars, tabla and Eastern music influences. This flowing, conceptual masterpiece blends a wide array of musical tones and moods sounding very reminiscent of a clash of classic ASH RA TEMPEL, AGITATION FREE and PINK FLOYD ("Ummagumma" / "Meddle" era). For the POPOL VUH lovers out there you will pleased to see this album features Conny Veit (guitars, voice, table, electronic effects). In addition GILA blow you lips off with additional instruments including the mellotron, organ, mandolin and bongos. This may be my personal most beloved German krautrock album of all time. Highly regarded album and an essential one for your collection.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28851) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
5 stars Here's a long time krautrock classic. Gila impress us with a dynamic, intense and imaginative communication between spacey rock improvisations, lengthy psych guitar solos accompanied by luminous electric organ chords. "Agression" is a cosmic krautrock jamming, strictly instrumental (as the rest of the album), dominated by subtle and technical guitar / organ combinations. "Kollaps" is a dark and creepy instrumental piece with moody organ parts and weird, plaintive noises. "Kontact" starts with a variation of different sound collages to finally turn into an acoustic, folk guitar trip with an obvious "eastern" flavour. The track directly carries on "Kollektivitt" for a full-on guitar / organ jam with some folky, mellow accents. "Individualitat" is a strong hypnotic-tribal jam for percussions and guitar experimentations. A serious, intricate mixture between free rock, spacey-psych effects and discreet eastern influences. A must for fans of Agitation Free and highly recommended for the others.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#97569) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Review by hdfisch
4 stars 4 ½ stars for this masterly done Krautrock album!!

I used to own the highly sought after original vinyl edition of this one some 20 years ago but this type of Krautrock wasn't that much "my cup" back then and therefore I sold it for a quite good price (though nowadays I'd get twice as much). I preferred much their easier psyche folk album from 1973 at that time but meanwhile I've got the CD versions of both records in my collection since a couple of years. As usual taste preferences are changing over time and this excellent debut has really grown on me. Now I've got to say that Gila's first one of course had been much better than "Bury My Heart." (their second one just contains some live jam sessions) though they're hardly to be compared with each other being completely different since only guitarist and band founder Conny Veit had been left over from the original line-up. This debut had been a self production by the band and according to the CD booklet it's telling their story starting from 1969 to 1971 and their development from aggressive rock to balanced communicative music. Like some other bands from the early German progressive scene these guys really practised their ideology which means that by utilising their maximum creative potential they were trying to find their own fulfilment as well as to influence their environment. It was very important for them to be as much as possible free from restraints and forced order and therefore they preferred to use a free-form structure rather than arranged compositions for their music. Of course many bands and musicians from the Krautrock scene were taking this approach during that era - names like Ashra Tempel, Amon Düül, Faust, Can or Neu come to my mind - but actually I've to say the outcome was usually not very satisfactory (at least to my ears). Nonetheless all those bands were quite unique in their very own way and as well much different from the overall trend in progressive rock incorporating more classical forms like suites and movements and following more or less strictly the rules of music theory. Maybe it's due to the fact that I havn't grown up with classical music or it's the rebel in me that I mostly find such type of music more exciting than the classical Prog represented by bands like Genesis or Yes. But I've to say the music on here doesn't sound chaotic at all, not even really unstructured, it's rather floating very nicely without becoming ever dreary nor tedious which is the case for many records of this particular sub-genre. Certainly it's much rooted in late 60's psychedelic, comparable to Floyd's Ummagumma-period, just more enjoyable and easier accessible. Thus it might sound dated for some Prog fans being not that much into Krautrock but I think this record can offer much pleasure after several spins to anyone interested into unique and sophisticated music. Most of the tracks here are purely instrumental, sporadic vocals (both in English and German language) are used merely for emphasizing the keywords of the album concept, aggression and communication. A wide range of sounds had been used, including Mellotron, brilliant organ play and as well some oriental ones like tabla. The musicianship presented by all band members is absolutely impressing and I'm really seduced to give the full-score rating for this excellent debut. But since it might be considered not that much progressive for the year of 1971 and it might not appeal to everyone I think it wouldn't be quite justified. But anyway this album is an excellent addition to any Prog collection and for sure a must-have for fans of Krautrock or Spacerock.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#103749) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars Led by guitarist Conny Veit, Gila is an ensemble that generated a great contribution to the krautrock scene back in the early 80s, before Veit shifted toward the ranks of Popol Vuh and Guru Guru. "Free Electric Sound" is Gila's debut release, and it certainly indicates quite clearly the reasons why this band is so important to krautrock lovers. The band's line of work is based on the confluence of psychedelic, mesmerizing jams (a-la Amon Düül II) and jazz-friendly nuances bearer of distinction (a-la Agitation Free). Indeed, there is room for expanded guitar soloing in exhibitions of robustness, but there is also a careful treatment of these visceral explorations within the confines of well-defined scheme. With sounds of wild wind and rain 'Aggression' gets started on a funky-jazz mode, displaying a psychedelic jam with heavily Hendrix-esque guitar and lysergic organ flows delivered by Scheyhing. With its 12+ minute timespan, 'Kommunciation' is the longest piece in the album. This track is stated on a slow tempo and a very noticeable jazzy vibe, which makes the band lean quite close to Agitation Free and early Embryo. The bass guitar flourishes incorporate a very interesting variety beyond the rhythmic function, while the drummer and keyboardist's labors cry out the "Ummagumma" influence. The last 90 seconds are filled with beautiful flute mellotron and slide guitar, which make a captivating epilogue. 'Kollaps' starts the album's second half, with a very languid mood that helps to state a mysterious, even creepy atmosphere. The sound of a baby crying suggests the notion of man's soul drowned in desolation and confusion among a dark environment. This piece sort of makes Gila close to post-"Phallus Dei" Amon Düül II. 'Kontakt' takes things to a very different dimension, one of candidness and serenity: the prevalent acoustic guitar sets a mixture of Eastern flavors and country airs, aimed at the exploration of our potential of mental piece. The weird noises at the beginning seem not to be a source of restlessness but a special preparation for contemplating attitudes. When the aforesaid jam shifts to an electric mode, it is the time for 'Kollektivität', which emphasizes the Eastern exoticism in both the guitar deliveries and the organ layers. The album's climax is brought up by the powerfully ethnic 'Individualität', a multi-percussive extravaganza focused on tribal frameworks in a very celebratory tone. The synthesizer adornments augment the exciting atmosphere quite effectively, creating a very interesting mixture of Osibisa, Ibliss and early Popol Vuh. Overall balance: "Free Electric Sound" is an excellent exposure of krautrock, a must in any good prog collection with aspirations to become very good.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#176294) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 07, 2008

5 stars Do you know how long i've been searching for this album ? Well I finally have it and have been spending a lot of time with it. It didn't take me long to realize that this is a masterpiece in the Krautrock genre. I'm such a big fan of lead guitarist Conny Veit, and he is so impressive on this recording. He of course is much more restrained on those POPOL VUH albums he played on.

"Aggression" opens with the wind blowing and someone is yelling trying to be heard over the howling wind. The music kicks in around a minute and Conny is lighting it up ! Check out the organ runs as well. "Kommunikation" is the longest track at almost 13 minutes. Some mellotron in this one as well. We can hear water to start with then guitar sounds come in after a minute. A beat follows.This is trippy stuff. Nice bass after 3 minutes as the guitar becomes more prominant. Great sound 5 minutes in and the guitar starts to solo. A change 11 1/2 minutes in then we get some spoken words (as the music stops) to end it.

"Kaliaps" has an Eastern vibe to it as the sound builds. Organ a minute in as the guitar gets louder. Good thing too because next we hear a baby crying. Haha. Cool track ! "Kontakt" has this freaky, psychedelic intro before acoustic guitars take over. Fantastic sound here as these acoustic guitar melodies intertwine. "Kollektivitat" is led by drums and guitar early. Organ joins in after 4 minutes.This is pretty hypnotic before 6 minutes. It blends into "Individualitat" is all about the tablas and percussion. Amazing.

An essential album for Krautrock fans out there.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#212323) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 24, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Excellent debut of early project of guitarist Conny Veit (Popol Vuh and Guru Guru). Very spacey, based on melodic heavy keyboards. With long rock improvs (and you will easy hear bluesy rock roots in that music).

Mostly instrumental work contains long compositions, and I like that melodic spacey sound, with electric heavy guitar soloing, mid tempo almost Floydian liquid sound, full-bodied and quite atmospheric music at the same time. No too much electronic effects, no overweighed soundscapes. Excellent simple sound, where spacey castles are build not by electronics, but by keyboardist and guitarist master musicianship.

Possibly greatest moment of this album is that it being an easy accessible work contains all the best early spacey krautrock elements at their best form. Accessible krautrock's cornerstone?

I can really recommend this album for krautrock newcomers - you wouldn't be disappointed!

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#295858) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 23, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars The German rock music of the early 70s lives by the name of Krautrock but due to the diversity between the artists it doesn't mean much on a stylistic level. There's simply too many tastes, ranging from avant to space rock, jazz rock, symphonic, freewheeling jam trips, heavy rock, electronic music and bands that combine elements from each of these.

Gila Gila fits perfectly into the "freewheeling jam" category, an instrumental type of Kraut with the classic rock line-up of drums, bass, guitar and organ. It isn't always my preferred category as I miss some of the deeper adventure, passion and attitude of my Kraut favs, but Gila's debut is simply a stand-out in the field, with well-played, nicely flowing, spacey and perfectly moody trip-rock.

Gila resembles Agitation Free a lot on this album, be it slightly more Floydian maybe, with bass grooves following eastern-scales just like Set The Controls for The Heart of The Sun or Careful with that Axe, Eugene. In fact, this is a Krautrock album you might choose to play this album as background music. I would even dare to call it accessible.

Not the most adventurous or eclectic Krautrock album but a very good one, with classic material and - who knows - one that may turn out to be an introduction to all that amazing music from the German 70s scene.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#338963) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review by seventhsojourn
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RPI
4 stars I'm holding this Gila album in my hand and thinking it's probably one of my favourite Krautrock releases. It's certainly one of the more accessible I've heard. Among the six tracks there are no lengthy musical meanderings, or what Huxley might have called 'labyrinth(s) of endlessly significant complexity'. And you don't need to undergo a perception-altering spiritual exercise to enjoy the album.

Directed by the genius of Conny Veit, Gila present a series of fairly compact pieces but the results are no less favourable for that. Other than some intermittent sound effects the album is largely free of any unnecessary clutter, with primarily guitar and organ holding poll positions. The guitar has something of a Hendrix flavour on opening track 'Aggression', a neat jam that's underpinned by punchy, percussive bass lines. In fact the bass is pretty impressive throughout the album. The mood changes with the languid, spacey aura of 'Kommunikation', although this in turn undergoes a change with sinister-sounding Mellotron and a disorienting rhythm towards its end.

Matters become more intense with the dark-toned organ of 'Kollaps', a track that sounds to me like The Shadows' 'Apache' on a mescaline terror trip. This makes the acoustic interludings of 'Kontakt' stick out like a sore thumb although 'Kollektivitat' also has a strong, almost West Coast, melodic sensibility. The generally laconic spirit of the album is savaged by the delirium of the closing track 'Individualitat'. Consisting of eerie sound effects of flocking birds and tribal percussions this one sounds like it could have come from the depths of a primordial forest.

This is a tremendous listen, surprisingly approachable and a near perfect introduction for newcomers to Krautrock.

Send comments to seventhsojourn (BETA) | Report this review (#434948) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review by colorofmoney91
5 stars This is some seriously jammin' music, complete with Hendrix-esque guitar playing, heavy organ sounds, and a spacey atmosphere backing it all up. Free Electric Sound, the debut album by krautrockers Gila, is one of the most consistent albums in the krautrock genre, though I wasn't entirely convinced upon first listening about 4 years ago. Luckily, this album's impression on me improved over time.

First of all, the album cover; it's awesome looking. It reminds me of the video games I used to play back in the '90s, and that was what first initially drew me to listen to this album (album covers are very important). Second, the music is great. This album, unlike countless other krautrock albums, doesn't contain any amounts of pointlessness that I can detect. Every element of the all the music seems to have a purpose and it all flows so incredibly well. There are occasional vocals, but they are used more like just another instrument in that they mostly just make sounds. This is very trippy and groovy music, but fairly accessible for krautrock, so I'd say this is a nice introduction to the genre as well as one of the best.

It's a shame that the follow up to this album isn't quite as fantastic, but the fact that the band couldn't do better just emphasizes the masterpiece quality of this album.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#434968) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars Yet another free jam freakout band from the Krautrock scene, Gila's Free Electric Sound begins with the dynamite Aggression, which combines hard rock guitar and heavy funk basswork with a typically psychedelic Krautrock format. The subsequent tracks do not quite manage to show the same level of innovation, and to be honest don't hold my interest to the same extent, though Conny Veit's guitar work is without a doubt the best asset the band had - no wonder Florian Fricke invited him into Popol Vuh! On balance, a good second-tier Krautrock album, but hardly a high priority for those beginning to explore the genre. I'd exhaust the outright classics of the field before turning my attention to this one, personally.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#499057) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 07, 2011

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars Gila's 1971 semi-eponymous debut contains numerous psychedelic jams, exotic textures, and mystic passages. It does possess a fair deal of repetition, and the final track is essentially a drum solo. With that said, this is a great album that would please not only most fans of Krautrock, but fans of space rock too.

'Aggression' Following stormy atmospheric sounds, a spunky bass groove appears, bringing in a psychedelic jam. The organ quivers, blasting in here and there.

'Kommunikation' Dark noise and a Tex-Mex guitar tone introduce a thudding bass and easygoing percussion. I am reminded in some respects of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. There are some distant vocals, but primarily the piece stays in jam band mode, letting the lead instruments experiment over the same bass riffs. The final passage, tacked on to the end, has several Mellotrons and spacey slide guitar. The end is spoken word moving from right to left, almost a chant.

'Kollaps' Quieter and more mysterious, 'Kollaps' this has mythical organ and percussion, the Tex-Mex guitar tone, and the cry of an infant (which can be disconcerting if one has, say, delivered his own son four days ago). In a way, it makes me think of 'Magnum Opus' by Kansas, specifically the 'Father Padilla Meets the Perfect Gnat' segment.

'Kontakt' Another dark piece, this eventually brightens up with acoustic guitars.

'Kollektivitat' The acoustic guitars evaporate, leaving a low organ and a guitar fed through a wah pedal alone. The piece develops structure with the inclusion of exotic drums and lead guitar. The Eastern flair remains as the music flows from one rhythmic oasis to the next.

'Individualitat' The music from before fades like a mirage in the thirsty desert, leaving only the drums behind. It is very tribal, with jungle-like sounds and minimal input from the more traditional rock instruments.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#753011) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars Free Electric Sound: an ironic title for an album that survived many years only as an expensive prize for Krautrock treasure hunters. And in retrospect that rarity might have been the best thing about it. The music alone isn't very challenging, but it's all dynamic stuff: energetic guitar jams with more than a whiff of late '60s psychedelia, sounding not unlike early ASH RA TEMPEL but with one foot on terra firma (at least some of the time).

The aptly-titled "Aggression" raises the curtain in rip-roaring fashion, with lots of Hendrix- inspired riffing and some filthy organ runs. Little of what follows was able to match the same level of intensity, and the whole thing is perhaps too indebted to PINK FLOYD, like a lot of Krautrock in 1971. But it was the younger, more dangerous Floyd, circa "Ummagumma" (the live disc, thankfully) that inspired these grooves, filtered through the multi-colored creative sieve of radical German youth culture.

Thus, the blitzkrieg effect in "Kollaps", although it's the eerie sound of a crying baby later in the same track that never fails to send a shiver down my spine. Or the free-form collage introducing "Kontakt", just before the music blossoms in a gorgeous, Eastern-scented acoustic guitar episode. The last four cuts (Side Two, on the original vinyl) blend into a single, meandering space jam, like most of the album pleasantly unfocussed but played with conviction.

Guitarist Conny Veit was the hero of the set. His fluid technique and assorted effects helped lift what could have been a merely half-hearted freakout to near cosmic altitudes (he also sang, briefly and unintelligibly, in the 12-plus minute mini-epic "Kommunikation"). Under his able guidance there isn't a dull moment throughout the album's 37-whirlwind minutes. But at the same time it never quite managed to step forward from the middle of a very crowded Krautrock pack.

The original line-up didn't survive long enough to make a second album, and it was a very different band that returned two years later with the same name. Too bad, because with a little time and effort Gila could have easily made the leap into the upper ranks of Krautrock divinity, instead of settling for the diminished afterlife of a much coveted collector's item.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#932896) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013

5 stars Pure psychdelia! We can smell it's rock and roll from far! Exceptional bass lines, psych improves on keys and guitars with little touches of jazz, a powerful drum that add much things on the melody with impact! Electronic and spacy timbres are also found (in the beginning of "Kontakt" is found ... (read more)

Report this review (#267222) | Posted by Thiago Hallak | Saturday, February 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Quite possibly the finest and the most definitive "krautrock" album of all time. Not a single second or even a note is out of place. If you need to know why so many people find the krautrock movement to be a constant source of wonder and delight it is because of albums such as this. ... (read more)

Report this review (#142368) | Posted by jimboo | Saturday, October 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Coming somewhere between Ash Ra Tempel's first and Agitation Free, Gila's debut is extremely cosmic and spacy album loaded with great mind dissolving guitar jams and a heavy psychedelic atmosphere with plenty of tripping effects. Very much represetative of the krautrock genre if that means im ... (read more)

Report this review (#52858) | Posted by | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If you like "Jimi Hendrix Guitar", you should not miss it. I agree that it counts as one of the progressive monster masterpieces. It sounds absolutely fantastic for a continental band from that time period. There were many progressive Bands in Germany, Switzerland, etc. at that time but most o ... (read more)

Report this review (#28852) | Posted by Irene | Friday, November 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GILA "Gila - Free Electric Sound"