PURPLE

Buy BARONESS Music
Studio Album, released in 2015

1. Morningstar (4:16)
2. Shock Me (4:17)
3. Try To Disappear (4:52)
4. Kerosene (5:10)
5. Fugue (2:34)
6. Chlorine & Wine (6:49)
7. The Iron Bell (4:24)
8. Desperation Burns (4:14)
9. If I Have To Wake Up (Would You Stop The Rain) (5:41)
10. Crossroads Of Infinity (0:16)

- John Dyer Baizley / vocals, electric & acoustic guitar, lyrics, bells, glockenspiel, wurlitzer
- Pete Adams / electric & acoustic guitar, vocals
- Nick Jost / electric & upright bass, piano, synthesizers
- Sebastian Thomson / drums

Label: Abraxan Hymns
Release date: 18th December 2015
Formats: Digital, CD, LP

Thanks to javajeff for the addition
and to infocat for the last updates

Buy BARONESS Purple Music

PurplePurple
Abraxan Hymns 2015
$10.00
Baroness: Purple (Indie Exclusive Colored Vinyl) Vinyl LPBaroness: Purple (Indie Exclusive Colored Vinyl) Vinyl LP
Special Limited Edition
Abraxan Hymns
$199.98
PurplePurple
VERTI 2015
$10.54

Baroness - Purple (2015) 12" Vinyl/Record LP SIGNED/AUTOGRAPHED USD $53.24 Buy It Now
Baroness Purple cd Mastodon Kylesa Clutch USD $5.33 [0 bids]
53m 54s
Baroness - Purple [New Vinyl] Digital Download USD $23.20 Buy It Now 4h 42m
BARONESS Purple CD US Abraxan Hymns 2015 10 Track Fold Out Digi Pack With USD $11.84 Buy It Now 6h 21m
BARONESS Purple Cassette Abraxan Hymns 2015 Dyer Baizley Brand New Sealed USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Baroness Purple Vinyl USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $17.99 Buy It Now
**New** - Purple - Baroness VINYL 0857223004267 USD $29.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Wea Corp Purple - Music Baroness USD $30.45 Buy It Now 4 days
Purple - Baroness LP Free Shipping! USD $27.20 Buy It Now 4 days
Baroness - Purple - LP Vinyl - New USD $19.93 Buy It Now 4 days
Baroness Purple LP sealed 180 gm vinyl + download USD $22.98 Buy It Now 5 days
BARONESS CD - PURPLE (2015) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK - ABRAXAN HYMNS USD $13.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Purple [VINYL] Baroness Vinyl USD $23.10 Buy It Now 6 days
Baroness Purple USA vinyl LP album record ABXN-001 ABRAXAN HYMNS Sealed 2015 USD $31.88 Buy It Now 6 days
BARONESS-PURPLE - VINILO NEW VINYL RECORD USD $22.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Baroness "Purple" +Progressive Sludge Metal+ Isis, Cult Of Luna, Neurosis USD $7.55 [0 bids]
USD $9.82 Buy It Now
BARONESS - Purple - CD Album *Digipak* USD $7.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Baroness Horse Called Golgotha clear purple 7'' USD $300.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Baroness Horse Called Golgotha purple mispress 7'' USD $100.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Baroness: Live at Maida Vale Opaque Gold Vinyl EP/1500. Blue Purple Yellow Green USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Baroness - "Purple" SEALED Vinyl LP, Autographed Flat, & Rare Cassette USD $99.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Baroness "Morningstar" PICTURE DISC 12" (lp purple red blue try to disappear) USD $20.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Baroness "Try To Disappear" PICTURE DISC 12" (lp purple red blue morningstar) USD $20.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Baroness - Purple [New Vinyl] Digital Download USD $18.96 Buy It Now 11 days
Baroness: Morningstar Picture Disc 12" Vinyl. Purple. Yellow & Green. Red Album. USD $21.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Baroness-Purple CD NEW USD $16.40 Buy It Now 12 days
Baroness Purple LP 180 gram vinyl record sealed USD $19.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Purple - Baroness CD-Digipak USD $17.23 Buy It Now 13 days
Baroness - Purple 857223004250 (CD Used Like New) USD $10.11 Buy It Now 13 days
BARONESS ~ PURPLE ~ VINYL LP (SOLID BLACK), DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, NEW USD $15.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Baroness - Purple Vinyl LP Black 180 Gram New Sealed USD $18.97 Buy It Now 14 days
Purple [12/18] * by Baroness (CD, Dec-2015, Abraxan Hymns) USD $10.50 Buy It Now 14 days
Baroness Purple vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $40.78 Buy It Now 16 days
Baroness-Purple VINYL NEW USD $25.40 Buy It Now 17 days
Baroness - Purple (NEW VINYL LP) USD $23.95 Buy It Now 17 days
BARONESS PURPLE 2015 Abraxan Hymns CD Album SUPERB CONDITION USD $7.96 Buy It Now 17 days
BARONESS - PURPLE CD NEW+ USD $17.88 Buy It Now 18 days
BARONESS PURPLE / PARKWAY DRIVE POSTER 55X75 CM USD $39.99 Buy It Now 22 days
New Music Record Baroness "Purple" LP USD $31.72 Buy It Now 23 days
New Music Record Baroness "Purple" CD USD $18.13 Buy It Now 23 days
Baroness - Purple CD NEW USD $21.14 Buy It Now 23 days
Baroness - Purple (180 Gram, Limited Edition) VINYL LP NEW USD $38.68 Buy It Now 23 days
BARONESS A Horse Called Golgatha 7" PURPLE VINYL limited oop UNPLAYED USD $22.49 Buy It Now 24 days
Baroness ?- Purple Vinyl LP Abraxan Hymns ?2015 NEW/SEALED USD $30.21 Buy It Now 24 days
Baroness-Purple CD NEW USD $15.30 Buy It Now 24 days
BARONESS - PURPLE * NEW CD USD $15.29 Buy It Now 25 days
BARONESS - PURPLE LP - new copy 180 Gram Black Vinyl - VALKYRIE - SEALED USD $24.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Baroness "Purple Album" Black/Purple LP NM Mastodon Kylesa Isis Converge OOP USD $79.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Baroness - Purple LP NEW USD $21.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Baroness-Purple (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $19.39 Buy It Now 26 days
Baroness: Red Album Olive Green Vinyl LP/500. Blue Record. Yellow USD $44.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Baroness: Blue Record Olive Green Vinyl LP/500. Red Album. Yellow USD $44.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Baroness: Yellow & Green Olive Color Vinyl LP/500. Red Album. Blue Record Purple USD $44.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Purple [VINYL - BRAND NEW] by Baroness USD $29.14 Buy It Now 26 days
BARONESS "Purple" NEW (CD, 2015) USD $15.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Baroness Purple CD w/Slipcover USD $9.34 Buy It Now 28 days
BARONESS PURPLE New Sealed Cassette Tape Abraxan Hymns John Baizley Kylesa USD $25.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BARONESS music online Buy BARONESS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BARONESS Purple ratings distribution

BARONESS Purple reviews

Review by FragileKings
3 stars I came across Baroness a few years back when I read about sludge metal and wondered how that sounded. I bought Baroness's "Red Album" and found it rather impressive, powerful music with a progressive edge in places. I knew I'd get another album and actually kept "Yellow and Green" on standby at Amazon for over two years. Then "Purple" was released and I figured why not just get the latest album.

It most certainly is the Baroness sound that rumbles and booms through the opening riff of "Morningstar". The song switches to a melodic heavy power rock tune that strikes me as consistent with my impression that "Yellow and Green" was leaning more towards melodic over raw bellowing vocals. The song wraps up by reprising that awesome opening riff, which would fit perfectly on a Mastodon album.

Track two "Shock Me" begins with some simple and soft keyboards. Where's Baroness going to take this? Of course we get another strong power melody rocker but with an impressive more technical instrumental mid-section which is followed by a melodic bit of lead guitar. A strong track for sure.

"I will bury your bones inside my garden / Underneath, your eyes can't burn through me no more." Is this Danzig? "Try to Disappear" carries the banner of a song with the guitars pushed to the red and busy drumming that seems to abhor a steady beat without anything in between and half sung half bellowed vocals intent on insisting that there's a melody here. The guitar work is different, separating track three from two and from one. But the musical theme is becoming apparent. This is Baroness's "Purple" album. Heavy melodic punk/post metal?

Though I do begin to lose interest once a musical theme sets in and becomes the sole atmospheric element of an album's sonic palette, the next three tracks snap my interest back. Granted, "Kerosene" follows the same style as we've heard so far, but the loud simple bass in the chorus and another interesting instrumental break have my attention. Then "Fugue" goes somewhere else completely and reminds me of one of the reasons I liked Baroness at first, which was their ability to break a continuing musical theme with an instrumental that offers something different. The change in flavour is continued during the intro to "Chlorine and Wine". Though this simple, slow and haunting melodic music style, complete with scratchy echoes, seems to be common today, one can't help but wonder where Baroness will take it. Of course, we find ourselves back in familiar "Purple" territory, but the slow journey back is pleasing. One ear-catching line: "I've never felt so uncomfortably numb." Another thing to point out is that so far all the lead guitar work has been melodic rather than technical or ultra-aggressive. This song wraps up with a crescendo of power melody.

"Iron Bell" is another rollicking and rolling power rock melodic song. Quite good and making it difficult to say which of all these songs is the best. "Desperation Burns" gives us another heavy riff, a welcome return to the into-the-red heavy distortion. Melody is still a factor but heaviness is emphasized, especially in the instrumental break.

The final song, "If I Have to Wake Up (Would You Stop the Rain)", takes the tempo down for a kind of heavy sludge ballad. Perhaps the song to least impress me but nevertheless a good idea at least for variety. This song is followed by a brief robotic voice speaking for the final track.

I've given this album a fair bit of praise and mentioned several favourable points. Honestly, it is while attention is focused on the music for this review that I sniffed out what I like about the album. However, after the first three or four listens I had a tough time saying what songs I liked or why. This album is easy to have on the car stereo while driving or in the air buds while commuting because the overall approach is as I've described: a kind of loud power rock with bellowed vocal melodies. It's quite a step from "The Red Album" and for that I think it's great that Baroness are approaching each "colour" with a different flavour. They are evolving their style while still sounding like Baroness. I find that I enjoy the rawness of "The Red Album" more, on which the post metal/sludge/progressive/technical elements stood out more. But even though I prefer the other album, I give the band credit for producing a cohesive and solid piece of work here. But I'll add that it was a good idea to keep it to 42 minutes. A sixty-minute album of similar songs would be too much.

Post a review of BARONESS "Purple"