WHERE THE GROUPIES KILLED THE BLUES

Lucifer's Friend Where The Groupies Killed The Blues album cover

Buy LUCIFER'S FRIEND Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Hobo (4:15)
2. Rose in the Vine (8:19)
3. Mother (7:25)
4. Where Groupies Killed the Blues (5:07)
5. Prince of Darkness (5:37)
6. Summerdream (8:56)

- John Lawton / vocals
- Dieter Horns / bass
- Joachim Rietenbach / drums

Repertoire RP4143WP

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

LUCIFER'S FRIEND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LUCIFER'S FRIEND Where The Groupies Killed The Blues Music

Repertoire 1991
Good Time Warrior/Sneak Me InGood Time Warrior/Sneak Me In
Howling Wolf Records
Good Time WarriorGood Time Warrior
EX- !! Lucifer's Friend/I'm Just A Rock N Roll Singer/1973 Billingsgate LP US $92.45 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Lucifer's Friend ?- Ride The Sky- PORTUGAL 7'' 45RPM Progressive Rock US $50.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Lucifer's Friend Vinyl LP US $43.59 Buy It Now 8h 49m
LUCIFER'S FRIEND SNEAK ME IN ORIGINAL SHRINK LP 749 US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Lucifer's Friend - Mind Exploding (2002) US $25.20 Buy It Now 23h 46m
LUCIFER'S FRIEND MIND EXPLODING CD JEWEL CASE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LUCIFER'S FRIEND SUMOGRIP CD JEWEL CASE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE PINK MICE In Action German LP Lucifer's Friend psych prog Europa E-456 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lucifer's Friend - Good Time Warrior CD Japan OBI US $99.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LUCIFER'S FRIEND "WHERE THEGROUPIES KILLED BLUES" GERMAN VERTIGO SWIRL 1ST PRESS US $41.00 [6 bids]
LUCIFER'S FRIEND I'M JUST A ROCK N ROLL SINGER USA PRESSING 1974 EX-/EX+ US $19.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND SNEAK ME IN USA PROMOTIONAL COPY 1980 EX/EX US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND WHERE THE GROUPIES KILLED THE BLUES 1975 RARE VINYL LP PROMO US $9.99 [0 bids]
7"-Single LUCIFER'S FRIEND - Sneak Me In / Foxy Lady (1980) GERMANY PS US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
7"-Single LUCIFER'S FRIEND - Hobo (1972) MINT GERMANY PS JOHN LAWTON URIAH HEEP US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EX/EX- !! Lucifer's Friend/The Devil's Touch/1976 Fontana LP/German Issue US $73.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Lucifer's Friend Good Time Warrior LP, , Promo Elektra 6E-159 Very Good Plus (VG US $12.77 [0 bids]
LUCIFER'S FRIEND, Mean Machine (Promo) LP US $19.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND I'm Just A Rock 'n' Roll Singer LP John Lawton Uriah Heep US US $33.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Lucifer's Friend -1974-Billingsgate-LP- Rock - "I'm Just a Rock 'N' Roll Singer" US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Lp NM Where the Groupies Killed the Blues 1975 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Lucifer's Friend vinyl LP record ...Where The Groupies Killed The Blues CAN US $48.66 Buy It Now 3 days
Lucifer's Friend Good Time Warrior MINI LP CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Lucifer's Friend 7" Ride The Sky / Horla PS Portugal Krautrock Kosmische Musik US $49.99 [0 bids]
Lucifer's Friend- Mind Exploding & Banquest HARD ROCK 8-TRACK US $7.00 [0 bids]
LUCIFER'S FRIEND~I'M JUST A ROCK N ROLL SINGER~MINT~EVERYBODY'S CLOWN~~ ROCK 45 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LUCIFER's FRIEND Original VINYL 1978 USA MINT good time warrior 1.press US $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
NEKTAR Lucifer's Friend TRIUMVIRAT The Sweet BTO Thailand THAI 7" EP single PS#1 US $24.99 [0 bids]
NEKTAR Lucifer's Friend TRIUMVIRAT Ringo Starr JAMES BOND 007 Thai 7" EP 45 ps#2 US $24.99 [0 bids]
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Where The Groupies Killed The Blues LP RARE PSYCH on PASSPORT US $7.99 [0 bids]
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Banquet 8-Track - Brand New/Sealed!!! US $3.95 [0 bids]
Lucifer's Friend Good Time Warrior 1st 1978 Press ARCHIVE MASTER Steam Cleaned US $36.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Banquet Passport 98012 Lucifer's Friend US $9.99 [0 bids]
Lucifer s Friend in shrink LP Sneak Me In US $9.75 Buy It Now 6 days
LUCIFER`S FRIEND / GOOD TIME WARRIOR US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND ~ WHERE THE GROUPIES killed VINYL LP ~ RARE VG++ STERLING US $29.77 Buy It Now 6 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND ~ I'M JUST A ROCK N ROLL SINGER / EVERYBODY'S CLOWN ~ ROCK 45 US $16.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CD-Lucifer's Friend-Banquet~Rock ~Psych - German CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
Lucifer's Friend Promo LP with original record sleeve-SNEAK ME IN US $22.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Lucifer's Friend Where Groupies Killed The Blues LP Original Prog Psych US US $17.95 Buy It Now 7 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND: Ol' Man Roller/Writing On The Wall metal NM vinyl US $20.00 Buy It Now 7 days
One More Night/John Lawton/Uriah Heep/Lucifer's Friend US $35.00 Buy It Now 7 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Good Time Warrior SEALED ORIG USA 1978 LP US $18.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky 7" Krautrock Turkish Edition Rare US $35.00 Buy It Now 8 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND I'M JUST A ROCK N ROLL SINGER 1974 LP Billingsgate 1008 NM/NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND banquet PROMO LP NM 1975 passport john lawton uriah heep US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Lucifer's Friend Good Time Warrior Red Label, Near Mint, CLEAN, A+ SOUND! US $16.00 Buy It Now 8 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Good Time Warrior CD MINI LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
0146 VISION LUCIFERīS FRIEND PAGAN RITUAL ANDY BEAMONT RUSSELL BONNELL 1983 EP. US $60.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Lucifer's Friend / Where the Groupies Killed the Blues / White label promo US $32.00 Buy It Now 9 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND WHERE THE GROUPIES KILLED THE BLUES CD JEWEL CASE US $11.99 Buy It Now 9 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND i'm just a rock n roll singer LP VG+ BG-1008 WLP Promo 1974 US $22.50 Buy It Now 9 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND The Devil's Touch LP German Hard Rock, LP: MINT- on Fontana US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND NEW CD US $45.32 Buy It Now 9 days
Lucifer's Friend / Lucifer's CD US $32.96 Buy It Now 9 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND good time warrior LP Mint- 6E 159 Vinyl 1978 Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Lucifer's Friend [CD New] US $35.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Lucifer's Friend - I'm Just A Rock N Roll Singer LP s US $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND Banquet RARE Heavy Prog HARD ROCK Jazz GERMAN Glam Art US $20.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Lucifer`s Friend - Sneak Me In US $18.00 Buy It Now 10 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND THE DEVIL'S TOUCH VINTAGE VINYL RECORD US $16.99 Buy It Now 10 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - RIDE THE SKY / HORLA 7" TURKISH MONO US $50.00 Buy It Now 10 days
CD-Lucifer's Friend-Where The Groupies progress euro hard~Rock ~Psych US $17.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Lucifer's Friend S/T LP Vinyl RE US $59.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Lucifer's Friend Banquet 1974 NM/VG+ Record Jazz Prog Rock Passport PPSD 98012 US $49.90 Buy It Now 11 days
LUCIFERīS FRIEND SNEAK ME IN PORTUGAL LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Lucifer's Friend in shrink & cut US $6.50 Buy It Now 11 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - OLD MAN ROLLER - MY LOVE 7/45 PORTUGAL ELEKTRA N MINT 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Lucifer's Friend-Billingsgate-I'm just a rock & roll Sr US $30.00 Buy It Now 11 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - RIDE THE SKY / HORLA 7" TURKISH RARE MONO US $200.00 Buy It Now 12 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - LUCIFER'S FRIEND - NEW CD US $32.97 Buy It Now 12 days
ASTERIX - S/T 70 ex- GERMAN BONDS ELECTRIC FOOD pre LUCIFER'S FRIEND ROCK SLD CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 12 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - I'M JUST A ROCK 'N' ROLL SINGER - BILLINGSGATE RECORDS LP US $6.50 Buy It Now 12 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - SNEAK ME IN - WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
VINYL LP Lucifer's Friend - Good Time Warrior Elektra 6E-159 KrautRock US $10.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Lucifer's Friend Banguet CD MINI LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 13 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND NM- I'm Just A Rock N Roll Singer LP US $22.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Lucifer's Friend Old Man Roller - Love 7" German Edition US $10.00 Buy It Now 14 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND banquet LP Record 1975 RARE US $37.50 Buy It Now 14 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND mean machine LP Record 1981 RARE VG US $22.50 Buy It Now 14 days
Lucifer's Friend - Where The Groupies Killed The Blues - MINI LP CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 14 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND 'STARDANCER' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $13.43 Buy It Now 15 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND "I'm Just A Rock N Roll Singer" LP Billingsgate Records BG-1008 US $12.95 Buy It Now 15 days
Lucifer's Friend - Sneak Me In - LP Record/Vinyl 1980 Elektra/Asylum Rec. 6E-265 US $12.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Lucifer's Friend - Good Time Warrior LP Record/Vinyl Elektra/Asylum Rec. 6E-159 US $16.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Lucifer's Friend [Vinyl New] US $46.58 Buy It Now 15 days
Lucifer's Friend Where the Groupies Killed the Blues ARCHIVE MASTER Steam Cleand US $46.80 Buy It Now 15 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - Mind Exploding ; Psych / Prog LP - Original 1976 Promo! - US $59.00 Buy It Now 15 days
FREE 2for1 OFFER-Lucifer's Friend- Good Time Warrior- Elektra ?-6E-159/LP US $24.98 Buy It Now 15 days
FREE 2for1 OFFER-Lucifer's Friend- Good Time Warrior- Elektra ?-6E-159/LP US $21.98 Buy It Now 15 days
lucifer's friend-pasportppsd98008-when the groupies w/insert US $32.00 Buy It Now 15 days
? Lucifer's Friend - Good Time Warrior (Elektra 6E-159) ('78) US $14.99 Buy It Now 16 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND NEW VINYL US $54.27 Buy It Now 16 days
Lucifer's Friend "Mean Machine" 1981 Metal/Rock LP, VG+, Promo White Labels US $6.47 Buy It Now 16 days
VISION tears idle tears/lucifer's friend 12 P 320 uk prt 12" PS EX/EX US $25.20 Buy It Now 16 days
Rock Sealed LP VISION Lucifer's Friend on Quality US $20.00 Buy It Now 16 days
LUCIFER'S friend BANQUET 1974 PASSPORT KRAUTROCK PROG LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Lucifer's Friend Mean Machine vinyl LP 1981 Elektra Records white label US $16.00 Buy It Now 16 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - Banquet LP (RARE German Import on VERTIGO) US $29.99 Buy It Now 16 days
LUCIFER'S FRIEND - I'm Just a Rock 'n' Roll Singer LP (RARE US Press, in Shrink) US $34.99 Buy It Now 16 days

More places to buy LUCIFER'S FRIEND music online Buy LUCIFER'S FRIEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LUCIFER'S FRIEND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LUCIFER'S FRIEND Where The Groupies Killed The Blues ratings distribution

LUCIFER'S FRIEND Where The Groupies Killed The Blues reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Well well well ..... I knew this band from this album long time ago, dated back 1973. It was my brother, Henky, who bought the cassette of this band. Unfortunately, it was put at the B-side of URIAH HEEP's "Demons and Wizards" (Ooops .. it was not an official cassette as at that time we could not afford to buy an original LP. But don't worry, I have an original CD now at my hand, a Repertoire release). Being a B side of URIAH HEEP then I preconceived this band was a URIAH HEEP alike. I was wrong, LUCIFER's FRIEND music is much more complex and proggier.

This one is definitely a PROG album. Every single track in this album is a progressive rock track! In fact, this album has its own identity .If I look the whole content of this album, musically it's an original one. The music is hardly influenced by any band in the world. But of course the rock component is definitely influenced by its predecessors of rock'n'roll pioneers. But musically (composition-wise) this album is original.

Two reasons why I categorize this album as a prog one. First, the music composition has a blend of jazz, rock and blues crafted nicely to form a well structured music. You may notice this through, for example, the opening track "Hobo". The way drum is played at the intro part is not a typical rock drumming at all. When it enters in the body of the music, this track indicates a rock kind of music. It happens in other tracks as well, like "Rose on The Vine", "Mother", "..Where The Groupies .", "Prince of Darkness". There are nice inclusion of strings and brass arrangement by Peter Hecht (the group's keyboard player).

Second, the way vocal part is composed demonstrates the band's intention to challenge traditional singing style. The vocal by John Lawton that sings perfectly in this album does not seem to go along with the music. But interestingly, it even creates a great music. Indeed, it makes this album enjoyable. This is original.

I won't go over track by track as all tracks are wonderful and very rich in terms of composition. I just want to take one track "Mother" as an example. Opened nicely with piano and slow vocal part, the music then flows nicely to more upbeat tempo. The unique thing is on violin sound and orchestration in the middle of the track. It's an excellent composition here and it's a masterpiece! The lyric is rocking as well:

Pull down the blinds and turn on the music You gotta roll off - I'm gonna roll on Turn off your mind and roll to the music I'm gonna go pop before it's begun.

The musicianship of Peter Hesslein (gtr), Peter Hecht (keys), John Lawton (vox), Dieter Horns (bass) and Joachim Rietenbach (drums) are all excellent! Each contributes their part at their fullest, I think.

To conclude this album, it's not an exaggeration to give this album a FIVE STAR. I don't even feel naïve to give this rating. In fact, I'm ready to take any challenge if any of the readers who have listened to this album thoroughly think this album the other way around. This album is definitely 100% PROG and a MASTERPIECE! BUY IT!

What do you think? - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#28926) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This second album is IMHO a bit more un-even than the debut but holds also a few more peaks of brilliance. Apart from the idiotic album name and poor artwork to fit it, the music developed here is a little more adventurous but stays between Wallenstein's first two albums and Uriah Heep

The first two tracks take off where the heaviest ones of the debut album had left off , but they are hardly my favorites. In general the album is representative of early hard rock with solid prog overtones that was so popular during those years! IMHO , Mother and Summerdream (the latter being a thre part suite containing Delerium and No Reason Or Rhyme) are the highlights!

Not really anymore essential than their debut album, it still deserves a few spins in your deck/turntable and if you are into this early hard-prog then this album can be for you!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#53280) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars Did Lucifer's Friend create Heavy Metal with their debut and Prog Metal with this follow-up?

Lucifer's Friend is a really interesting German/British band based in Germany. They basically created Heavy Metal pretty much simultaneously (and independently?) of the major bands based in Britain like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep (for which Lucifer's Friend vocalist John Lawton would later sing). And here, already with their second album they go on to a fully progressive approach. Indeed, this album is more sophisticated both musically and lyrically than anything Uriah Heep has ever done. Too bad they remain virtually unknown till this day.

The opening number, Hobo, is great but it is basically a clone of Ride The Sky from the debut. The second and third tracks are nothing short of brilliant, however. The piano intro to Rose On The Vine being particularly excellent as well as the fantastic acoustic guitar solo. The keyboards are very well played and varied. We find lots of piano, organ, electric piano, Moog synthesizer and Mellotron. Some of the piano-heavy passages remind me of early Queen (first two albums). We also find lots of acoustic guitars and even string arrangements. The guitarist is also very skilled and the electric and acoustic guitar solos are often very short and snappy. No long mindless jam sessions here!

The closer Burning Ships should have been a radio Prog Rock classic like Emerson Lake & Palmer's Lucky Man or Kansas' Dust In The Wind. It would have deserved that!

It should be pointed out that John Lawton is a native Brit and there is nothing of that horrible German accent (sorry all Germans! I have my own accent to tackle) in his vocals at all. And his vocals here are terrific - almost like a young Freddie Mercury at times! Also, there is no sign at all of the fact that this band is German; this music has nothing to do with the Krautrock genre. Lucifer's Friend could indeed have been a fully British band judging from the sound (perhaps they should have been a British band in order to get more attention?)

One sad thing, though, is that the sound quality of this album is not very good. It is decent, but not even slightly better than the debut album. Many Prog Rock fans might prefer to start with the album Banquet, but for Metal fans Where The Groupies Killed The Blues is the best and, in my opinion, Lucifer's Friend's masterpiece.

An extremely underrated masterpiece!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#196802) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 01, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I quite liked their debut album (four stars) but this sophomore album is not on par, I 'm afraid.

The opening number is a funky piece of music with little flavor to my taste. Things change with 'Rose in the Vine' who is quite diversified: piano intro, heavy / bluesy part with strong vocals, dynamic but totally loose instrumental sections (almost eclectic and a bit noisy). It is very difficult to get into this track. Very complex indeed.

The same complex mood prevails during the excellent 'Mother'. Some sort of jewel made of symphonic prog (mellotron), powerful vocals, and heavy passages. It sounds as if it was a mini-opera on its own. Brilliant, really.

Keys are extensively used throughout this album (mainly piano), but during the title track there is even sweet and delicate fluting displayed. This is truly a great combination and again some eclectic accents are felt IMHHO. This is the second highlight from this album. Great rhythm changes, solid beat (great drumming by the way) are ingredients which are peppering this excellent track.

The other highlight is the long 'Summerdream'. It is a scary and dark track full of violin, macabre mood and musical maestria. It could have been named 'Summer Nightmare'! There are long instrumental passages, with piano again and some orchestrations as well. Another mini rock opera actually! Not as excellent as 'Mother', but still very good.

Two to three average songs prevent me to rate this album with four stars: 'Hobo', 'Prince Of Darkness' and 'Burning Ships'.

Still, this is quite a good album. Seven out of ten. It really deserves more reviews.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#386440) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011

5 stars Where The Groupies Killed The Blues is one of the greatest heavy prog records of all time, rivaling Italian masterpieces ala Balletto Do Bronzo's Ys and Cervello's Melos, but often still grounded in a more hard rock sound. This album features some of most amazing musicianship I have ever heard, ... (read more)

Report this review (#182791) | Posted by Jeff Carney | Thursday, September 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Lucifer's Friend were an interesting band. They had cut their teeth in the 1960s, made tons of great exploito rock/psych albums before and after they'd formed, and created a uniquely Anglo/Teutonic brand of hard edged progressive rock on this masterpiece. John Lawton has such a great voice.... ... (read more)

Report this review (#97092) | Posted by | Saturday, November 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This, the second album from classic progg-metal group Lucifer's Friend is even better than their self-titled debut album. This album is more progressive while still maintaining heavy guitar riffs. The second track "Rose On The Wine" is fantastic, it starts of with a beautiful piano intro that ... (read more)

Report this review (#39324) | Posted by | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LUCIFER'S FRIEND "Where The Groupies Killed The Blues"