SAINT JUST

Prog Folk

Saint Just Saint Just album cover

Buy SAINT JUST Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Il Fiume Inondō (10:43)
2. Il Risveglio (6:16)
3. Dolci Momenti (3:16)
4. Una Bambina (8:02)
5. Triste Poeta Di Corte (6:19)
6. Saint Just (3:58)

- Robert Fix / saxophone
- Mario D'Amora / piano, organ
- Tony Esposito / drums
- Gianni Guarracino / electric guitar

LP. EMI 3C 064-17870 / CD. King/Crime 292E 2064 (1989) / CD. Mellow Records MMP 193 (1994)

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

SAINT JUST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SAINT JUST Saint Just Music

Vinyl$30.00 (used)
Saint JustSaint Just
Ams 2014
Vinyl$37.33

FRANKIE AVALON -JUST ASK YOUR HEART/TWO FOOLS -UK 1st 7" 45-POP 658/1959 nr mint USD $6.23 Buy It Now
Just Tammy LP 1st Tammy Wynette USD $8.81 Buy It Now
The Hollies(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Just One Look-Parlophone-R 5104-UK-Ex/Ex USD $5.36 Buy It Now
Herman's Hermits(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Just A Little Bit Better-Columbia-UK-Ex/Ex USD $5.36 Buy It Now
Herman's Hermits(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd State)Just A Little Bit Better-UK-Ex/Ex- USD $4.24 Buy It Now
The Hollies(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd State)Just One Look-Parlophone-UK-Ex/Ex USD $5.36 Buy It Now
The Hollies(7" Vinyl 1st Issue 2nd State)Just One Look-Parlophone-UK-Ex/Ex+ USD $5.36 Buy It Now
The Hollies(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Just One Look-Parlophone-R 5104-UK-Ex/Ex- USD $4.24 Buy It Now
BIG AL DOWNING Just One Night Won't Do 7" VINYL US Vine St B/W How Beautiful USD $6.23 Buy It Now
MICHELLE GAYLE Happy Just To Be With You CD European 1St Avenue 1995 4 Track USD $6.23 Buy It Now
ST JUST VIGILANTES Pastor Of Oaks, Shepherd Of Stones CD UK Static Caravan 2008 USD $3.92 Buy It Now
HIL ST SOUL Until You Come Back To Me CD UK Dome 2000 3 Track B/W Just A Matter USD $5.23 Buy It Now
SINGLESKIN Even The Saints Can Get It Wrong CD UK Path 2003 3 Track B/W Just To USD $2.61 Buy It Now
33 RPM LP Record Ferlin Husky Just Plain Lonely 1972 Capitol Records ST-11069 USD $7.99 Buy It Now
TRIUMPH just a game LP EX/+/EX PL 13224 A1E/B1E 1st uk press rca 1979 gatefold USD $18.99 Buy It Now 43m 25s
Girls' Generation, Tiffany: 1st mini album, I Just Wanna Dance! [KPOPPIN USA] USD $20.99 Buy It Now 53m 44s
TRIUMPH just a game LP EX/+/EX PL 13224 A1E/B1E 1st uk press rca 1979 gatefold USD $19.08 Buy It Now 1h
SAM NEELY LOVING YOU JUST CROSSEDMY MIND CAPITOL RECORDS ST 11097 VG++ USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE BYRDS - CHESNUT MARE/JUST A SEASON - UK 1st 7" CBS 5322 / 1971 EX+ USD $1.24 [0 bids]
AMAZULU Don't You Just Know It 7" White Vinyl Reggae PS+CS Free 1st Class Post USD $4.48 [0 bids]
EX+ THE BEAT I JUST CANT STOP IT UK1980 1ST PRESS VINYL LP BEAT1 GREAT AUDIO SKA USD $9.98 [1 bids]
KAY STARR JUST PLAYIN COUNTRY CAPITOL RECORDS ST-1795 STEREO EX/EX FREE SHIP USD $9.90 Buy It Now 7h 28m
dokken under lock and key sealed 1st press lp & just got lucky promo 12" single USD $14.50 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
THE GREAT RAY CHARLES - I'M JUST A LONELY BOY..ST. PETE BLUES USD $4.98 [0 bids]
STRAWBS JUST A COLLECTION OF ANTIQUES & CURIOS JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen D32Y 1ST PR USD $79.99 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Transvision Vamp - I Just Wanna B With You CD 1st US press blondie heart throbs USD $2.99 Buy It Now 10h 30m
RANDY VANWARMER! - "JUST WHEN I NEED YOU MOST" B/W "YOUR LIGHT" ST 45 EX!! USD $3.98 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Saints "Just Like Fire Would" Terrific Oz PS 7" USD $5.76 Buy It Now 12h 53m
J.R. BAILEY JUST ME'N YOU 1974 JAPAN CD OBI 2300yen PSCR 1ST PRESS USD $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Just Can't Sit Down Music Mel McDaniel vinyl LP album record USA ST-12528 USD $19.93 Buy It Now 19h 12m
Eartha Kitt Just An Old Fashioned Girl - 1st 7" vinyl single record UK USD $13.68 Buy It Now 19h 56m
THE VOICES OF EAST HARLEM Cashing In / Just Believe In Me NEW NORTHERN SOUL 45 USD $12.48 Buy It Now 22h 14m
THE SAINTS - "All Fools Day" vinyl LP (Just Like Fire Would, Bruce Springsteen) USD $6.23 [0 bids]
45 RECORD DANNY KAYE & LOUIS ARMSTRONG: THE FIVE PENNIES SAINTS, JUST THE BLUES USD $3.35 Buy It Now 1 day
THE SAINTS ALL FOOLS DAY PROMO POLD5203 CHRIS BAILEY JUST LIKE FIRE WOULD TEMPLE USD $8.73 [0 bids]
Bill Ford~Hawaii~Just For You~Babsie Records ST2067~FAST SHIPPING USD $16.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Gene Dunlap IT'S JUST THE WAY I FEEL 2011 Japan CD Rare 1st Press OOP USD $31.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Country 45 Moon Mullican - The Way You'Re Treatin Me / Just Plain Lonesome On St USD $3.00 [0 bids]
COUNT BASIE/ JOE WILLIAMS Just The Blues 1st US 1960 Mono issue LP EX USD $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ZAPPA/ MOTHERS Just Another Band From L.A. 1st US Bizarre 1972 issue LP VG+/EX USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
PAUL BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND - Sometimes I Just Feel Like Smilin' LP (1st Press) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rembrandts ST Self Titled CD Just The Way It Is Baby USD $7.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Saint Just - La Casa Del Lago CD ORIG. ITALIAN PRESS Mellow/EMI USD $1.00 [1 bids]
WHATNAUTS We're Friends By Day.. / Just Can't Leave My Baby 45 STANG ST-5030 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
St. Augustine's Chapel CD Just As We Art Various Radney Foster Marshall Chapman USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Usurp Synapse Hassan I Sabbah Split 7" Just Do It. 1st Press Black Vinyl/900 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY 1ST MINI ALBUM [ I Just Wanna Dance ] SNSD GIRLS' GENERATION USD $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY SNSD Girls' Generation TTS [I Just Wanna Dance] 1st Mini Album CD K-POP USD $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY SNSD - I Just Wanna Dance (1st Mini Album) CD+80p Photobook+Photocard USD $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY - [I JUST WANNA DANCE] 1st Mini Album CD+Photo Book+1p Card Sealed K-POP USD $18.90 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY SNSD - I Just Wanna Dance (1st Mini Album)CD+Photobook+UNFOLDED POSTER USD $29.90 Buy It Now 1 day
K-POP SNSD TIFFANY 1ST MINI ALBUM " I JUST WANNA DANCE " [ PHOTOBOOK + CD ] USD $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TIFFANY 1ST MINI ALBUM - I JUST WANNA DANCE CD + photocard / GIRLS GENERATION USD $19.22 Buy It Now 1 day
ANNIE JUST A GIRL 1985 JAPAN 11 +++++ CD BOX OBI 3200yen 32.8H 1ST PRESS USD $159.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANNIE JUST A GIRL 1985 JAPAN 11 +++++ CSR COMPACT DISC CD 32.8H 1ST PRESS USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pure Prairie League Just Fly 1978 RCA Analog EXC 1st Press ULTRASONIC CLEAN USD $14.40 Buy It Now 1 day
FAST CARS The Kids Just Wanna Dance 7" RARE 1979 UK ORIGINAL 1ST PRESSING KBD USD $224.86 Buy It Now 1 day
KAY STARR JUST PLAYIN COUNTRY CAPITOL RECORDS ST8-1795 STEREO USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TIFFANY SNSD Girls' Generation TTS 1st Mini Album [I Just Wanna Dance] CD USD $19.89 Buy It Now 2 days
TIFFANY 1ST MINI ALBUM [I JUST WANNA DANCE] SNSD GIRLS' GENERATION USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Fleetwood Mac TUSK UK 2LP SET 1ST PRESS JUST ONE PLAY EVER MINT MINUS - LISTEN USD $23.74 [0 bids]
Kay Starr~Just Plain Country~Capitol Records ST-1795~Billy Liebert~FAST SHIPPING USD $9.31 Buy It Now 2 days
The Platters - Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries LP VG+ SR-60245 1st Vinyl Record USD $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Bruce Willis if it don't kill you it just makes you stronger JAPAN 1st Press CD USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Saints Just Like Fire Would Uk 12" USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Saints Just Like Fire Would Usa Dj 12" USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RATOS DE PORAO Just Another Crime In Massacreland LP 1994 Brazil 1st Press RDP USD $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AIR SUPPLY s/t 1985 JAPAN 1ST PRESS CD 32RD-41 Aussie AOR WESTCOAST Just As I Am USD $11.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Keith Barrow-Just As I Am-LP-Capitol-ST 12112-VG+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE STEREOPHONICS ANTHOLOGY Just Looking.., RARE 6 CDs 1st PRINT SET UK IMPORTS USD $39.95 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID ISAACS~ JUST LIKE A SEA ~STEPPERS LP 1st PRESSING~VERY RARE REGG USD $49.96 [0 bids]
Stereophonics ?- Just Enough Education To Perform. (2001 Vinyl LP) 1st Pressing USD $12.48 [1 bids]
MARMALADE~RADANCER~SARAH * JUST ONE WOMAN~F 13297~1st PRESS~7" UK SINGLE~EX USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Roy Clark St. Louis Blues/Just A Closer Walk with Thee, PROMO Capitol 5770 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Flores, Mike Party Has Just Begun: Musik Faktorys 1st CD USD $4.49 Buy It Now 3 days
45 Kerri Downs - UA 933 - Just a Baby I Wish We Married 7" NM 1st edition USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
JIMMY SMITH - Plays Pretty Just for You LP (1st US MONO Pressing on BLUE NOTE) USD $57.99 Buy It Now 3 days
JR Bailey JUST ME N YOU 1995 [JAPAN] 1ST EDITION CD NEW SEALED OOP RARE USD $43.71 Buy It Now 3 days
The Mothers Just Another Band from L.A. 1972 LP VG+/NM- OUT OF PRINT 1ST PRESS USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Freddie Jackson "Just Like the First Time" Vinyl Album-Capitol Record. ST-12495 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SOUL 45 JO ANN GARRETT JUST SAY WHEN ON CHESS VG+ ORIGINAL 1ST PRESS USD $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE 21ST - I JUST CAN'T FORGET YOUR NAME - JOY - NORTHERN SOUL USD $16.23 Buy It Now 3 days
BOB NEWMAN FULTON ST. QUARTET, JUST FRIENDS - SEALED LP USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
JIMMY CLANTON Just A Dream LP Ace 1001 Teen pop 1st press mg1042 USD $21.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Berea-St Paul UM Gospel Choir SEALED GOSPEL LP Just Th USD $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Patty Duke "Don't Just Stand There" Pic Slv 1965 NM Nice! 1st Record USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KID ORY ?- Dance With Kid Ory or Just Listen [HMV] UK 1st pressing LP USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KODAC HARRISON Just A Disguise LP VINYL US Luckie St 1984 6 Track With Insert USD $6.23 Buy It Now 4 days
PAUL LEWIS " JUST MY IMAGINATION " 7" SOUL 71ST STREET 1979 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Merle Haggard Bonnie Owens LP Record Just Between The Two Of Us Capitol ST 2453 USD $12.75 Buy It Now 4 days
ETERNAL (FEMALE GROUP) Just A Step From Heaven 12" VINYL UK 1St Avenue 1994 USD $6.23 Buy It Now 4 days
ETERNAL (FEMALE GROUP) Just A Step From Heaven 12" VINYL UK 1St Avenue 1994 4 USD $8.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Saint Just SAINT JUST LP ITA Vinyl Magic new USD $34.97 [0 bids]
CUTTING CREW Broadcast 1987 JAPAN 1ST CD 32VD-1074 AOR I Just Died In Your Arms USD $19.08 Buy It Now 4 days
"RARE/SEALED" 1974 IF "NOT JUST ANOTHER BUNCH OF PRETTY FACES" LP / ST-11299 USD $16.95 [0 bids]
USD $22.95 Buy It Now
Righteous Brothers Just Once In My Life LP 1965 Philles Records 4008 1st Press USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
7" SPACE Just Blue / Secret Dreams FRENCH 1st Press 1978 PS Disco Blue Vinyl USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Old 45 RPM Record - A&M 1655-S - Peter Allen - Just Ask Me I've Been There st&mo USD $1.49 Buy It Now 4 days
68' RARE~THE FIRST EDITION~ PSYCH "JUST DROPPED IN" 1st US 12" LP RP On REPRISE USD $24.00 [0 bids]
The Righteous Brothers Just Once in My Life 1st VG+ phlp 4008 ULTRASONIC CLEAN USD $13.60 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy SAINT JUST music online Buy SAINT JUST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SAINT JUST Saint Just ratings distribution

SAINT JUST Saint Just reviews

Review by Steve Hegede
4 stars SAINT JUST's debut album did not appeal to me at first, but I soon fell in love with its music. The group released two albums around 1973-74 that featured progressive music that had nothing in common with the other Italian prog groups of the time. Rather this band's music mixed psychedelic influences with an electro-acoustic progressive folk sound that sounded rather dated for a 1973 release. On top of that, the group had a female singer with one of the strangest voices around. And, that unique voice took me a few years to appreciate. If you can imagine an Italian female singer (influenced by the JEFFERSON AIRPLANE) who sings in a style that has a bit more in common with the high-pitched female vocals found in Chinese and Vietnamese classical/folk music then you might have an idea of her style.

Yes, this style isn't for everyone, but give it time and you'll be rewarded by both the music and Jane's singing. The music, as I mentioned, seems influenced a bit by psychedelic music and progressive-folk. The recording tends to sound home-made and reminds me a bit of recordings by early AMON DÜÜL II ("Phallus Dei"-era). The tracks feature laid-back jamming from acoustic guitars, bass, and piano. Once in a while you also hear an electric guitar solo and drums. The cool thing about the band is that they knew exactly when to throw enough dark dissonance to throw the music off in another direction. Overall, if you're looking for something different yet progressive SAINT JUST might be what you're looking for.

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Another esoteric dreamland of musical pleasure

Here's one of those surreal, strange trips that just throws you off-kilter at first but soon enough becomes irresistible. Saint Just was an avant-folk group from Naples who fashioned this haunting interpretation of prog-folk with elements of centuries past classical, romantic and traditional folk influence. They don't sound like anyone precisely, but to give a general idea I can float the names Pierrot Lunaire, Trees, Fairport, Vashti Bunyan, Houlderlin's Traum. The band contrasts simple and sparse arrangements with almost free-form bursts of creativity and avant magic. Imagine a laid back piano playing alone in a large room. Suddenly the vocals of Jenny Sorrenti fill the air and soon you will encounter all manner of acoustic guitar, sax, flute, drumming all as if led by their own separate muse. It can often be disconcerting and seemingly random but eventually it pulls you in. Vocally Jenny Sorrenti is one of those challenging singers for whom some will be unable to tolerate. In the way that people can find Kate Bush, Rose Podwojny (Sandrose), or Jacqueline Darby (Pierrot Lunaire) too annoying many could have that problem with Sorrenti. Her high-pitched and eccentric delivery could be seen as an exciting style or just plain caterwauling depending on your viewpoint. I enjoy both her vocals and the musical schizophrenia very much. The 10 minute opener encapsulates the album well and Steve is correct to point out that there is a homemade sound to the recording akin to early Amon Duul II. And yet small details emerge with each listen that prove the slick productions of today are not necessarily preferable when the intent is this kind of experience. It is precisely the loose style that helps the album work to fullest potential. And it is the personal and intimate nature of the fragile voice and sparse piano/guitars that make this kind of music so endearing. Not for everyone but a must for avant-folk lovers. 7/10

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Out of all the Italian prog groups, very few come out sounding different to the usual Italian symphonic style, some heading towards jazz (Prigeo, A&M, PdP, Area etc.), some heading more frankly towards folk or avant folk (Pierrot Lunaire and..???). That's right, there aren't many more, but Saint Just's first album is indeed aiming in that direction (more than the second, which is ooogling towards jazz rock). Madrugada's debut was also folk, as might be folk, but it fails to have an avant-garde feel. SJ is a trio made from saxman Roberto fix, guitarist/bassist Tony Verde and Jane Sorrenti, a singer whose's voice is one of the stranger one around, sometimes sounding like the typical female folk singer, and at times unbearably twisted, sometimes making you think of Joana Newsom's screechy Far Eastern- sounding vocals. Recorded in early 73 as a trio, but with the help of Mario D'Amora on keyboards and percussionist/drummer Tony Esposito and the assistance of Jane's brother Alan, their debut album was released on the Italian Harvest branch with a weird doll artwork.

Starting solemnly enough on the 10-mins+ Il Fiume Inondo with guitar and piano arpeggios, until Jane's voice interrupts chillingly this classical folk ballad, but to give it another folk direction until rerouted again this time via Fix's sax to yet another more avant-garde tune, seemingly intended to finish inside D'Amora's piano's gut. Despite the complexity of the music, the instrumentation is rather sparse this helps fuelling the weirdness. The following 6-mins Rivesglio is no less weird, using the same acoustic guitar and Jane's unusual voice (§she sounds Chinese at times), but a searing Frippian electric guitar solo (courtesy of guest Guarracino) changes the deal and D'Amora's piano enters again the plot, later replaced by the sax and finally returning to the guitar and Jane lament that opened the track. Dolci Momenti (soft/sweet/smooth moments) closes the a-side with much gentle care, a bit like a kid's musical box.

The flipside opens on the 8-mins Una Bambina, the usual SJ folk track until a Frippian guitar chase the original idea, soon replaced by a Jaxon-like sax, while Verde is noc competa The six-mins+ Trista Poeta Di Corte is homage to the French poets, whom were beat poets with over half a century of advance on Rimbaud, Baudelaire & Verlaine and well over a century Kerouac, Ginsbergh and Burroughs. The closing eponymous track is sung by Jane, but this time in French (credible although never sounding more Chinese or Newsom, herself) but it mighjt bethe album's weaker moment.

A superb and somehow frightening debut album from one of Italy's lesser-known prog band, SJ's debut album is maybe in the top 10 Italian album of that decade, and probably of all time. Unlike Pierrot Lunaire, though, their second album will not remain in the same avant-folk realm, but aim to fuller (less sparse) jazz-rock with a reinforced line-up.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Saint Just came to me highly recommended but with a warning that they wouldn’t likely ‘click’ at first, but over time would grow in appeal considerably. That turned out to be an accurate description.

This was an Italian trio from Naples who set out with the intent of creating a unique, modern sound that at the same time respected tradition and was dreamy and colorful and free from any restrictions of convention. I know this because the CD’s liner notes say so. I think they succeeded for the most part. There are a few points on the album where I get the impression the three of them are trying a bit to hard to be unique and clever and kind of fall flat, but these are few and you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs anyway.

Like I said the band is a trio, they’re Italian and they are playing modern folk rock. That should tell you enough about there sound. But it doesn’t really. In addition to the gorgeous classical piano you’d expect there are also occasional blasts of psych electric guitar on “Il Fiume Inondo” and “Una Bambina”; bongos and castanets with dense rhythms (“Una Bambina”); carnival-like organ with gentle plucked acoustic guitar accompaniment (“Trister Poeta di Corte”); and even a sort of spoken/chanted-word piece with a thudding backbeat that could easily be sampled by some up-and-coming hip-hop musician even today (“Saint Just”).

But the two most prominent and overwhelming characteristics of this music come in the form of the singer listed simply as “Jane” in the liner notes (“Jenny Sorrenti”), and saxophonist Robert Fix. Sorrenti has one of those voices that you’ll love or hate, but either way will take some time to get used to. It’s hard to say what register or octave she’s singing in most of the time, but she comes off sort of like Bernadette Peters doing Kate Bush covers. After some time I’ve sort of come to appreciate her voice although she is undoubtedly on the outer fringe of prog singers, along with Geddy Lee, Colin Meloy, Kate Bush and probably even Peter Hammill.

The songs are a mixed-bag despite all being clearly in the prog folk arena. The opening and lengthy “Il Fiume Inondo” persists a lovely piano line that is alternately accented by the saxophone, Sorrenti’s soaring vocals, tasty guitar licks and Fix’s reverberating and undulating saxophone passages. What starts out as a classically-tinged acoustic instrumental ends up being a sort of operatic psych trance thing, and the delicate piano passage eventually gives way to some harsh, discordant and jazzy ivory-tickling before the whole thing is over. I’ll give these guys credit that they managed to put out something pretty unique, and not at all what you’d expect by looking at the cover or liner notes.

“Il Risveglio” almost plays out in reverse of “Il Fiume Inondo”, opening pretty quickly and energetically with Sorrenti’s vocals and guest Gianni Guarracino’s jamming electric guitar licks before working its way into a mild jazz bridge and finally to a pastoral piano and saxophone passage that is tastefully framed by classical and some electric guitar. “Dolci Momenti” on the other hand is quite brief, and mostly emphasizes Sorrenti’s vocals along with organ bells and pipes.

I like “Una Bambina” the most on this record, with its shape-shifting sections that, like the opening track, move from classical piano and operatic vocals to tight fuzzed psych guitar and strummed acoustic that themselves give way to a highly syncopated rhythm with castanets, Sorrenti overdubbing herself in two widely separated octaves with what sounds more like an intense Latin love song, and Fix’s really wacky sax.

There are only six songs on the album and the last two are much more restrained that the earlier ones, although “Trister Poeta di Corte” does include a brief cacophonic passage of sax and guitar. Otherwise it ends up as mostly a very long and plodding drum/piano dirge that eventually just plays itself out.

The closing track bears the same name as the band, but is one of the shortest tracks on the album. It was clearly meant as a closing piece and is highlighted by some very tasteful classical guitar and the carnival-like atmosphere established by guest keyboardist Mario D'Amora.

I doubt record this will remain high on my playlist for very long, but I’m glad I was introduced to these guys and look forward to hearing their second and final album if I can ever find it; that one was released on CD many years ago but I doubt it is still available. Anyway, well- recommended to prog folk fans, possibly to fans of Italian prog, and to those who think Clare Grogan was the best part of Altered Images. Three stars.

peace

Review by apps79
3 stars Italian Psychedelic/Folk Rock band,started in 1972 as a trio,led by Alan Sorrenti's sister Jenny on vocals (but listed as Jane on the albums for unknown reasons) and accompanied by guitarist/bassist/singer Antonio Verde and saxophonist Robert Fix.They came from Napoli and released their eponymous debut in 1973 on Harvest,helped by keyboardist Mario D'Amora,famous jazz drummer Toni Esposito and guitarist Gianni Guarracino of Citta Frontale fame.

An uncomparable band indeed,Saint Just played a weird mix of Ethnic music and Folk Rock with plenty of Classical passages,where folk atmospheres alternate with organ themes and piano passages all the time but occasionally supported by light electric tunes.The music is soft but rather dark with plenty of acoustic guitars and characterized by Jenny's Sorrenti poetic and haunting vocal lines.While the whole album flows in a relaxed mood,there are surprisingly lots of breaks and alternating ideas in almost every track,which makes ''Saint just'' a demanding release.Organs, pianos and saxes have a major role leading the way and the few electric parts are well-played yet quite smooth.Surprisingly the self-titled number of the album is entirely sung in French by Sorrenti in a theatrical way with a definite beauty surrounding this delicate track.

One of the unique Folk Rock albums you can find and enjoy despite its difficult atmosphere with a variety of influences, from Classical to Mediterrenean to Psychedelic music.Recommended, especially to anybody enjoying more of a haunting mood than some complex music.

4 stars It is been a long time since I got this album. And I rarely listened this album. One or Two times only for a year.It struct me that this music is quite good to me as other Rock Progressivo Italiano did though I didn't like this album at first. I usually listen to the music when I am driving my c ... (read more)

Report this review (#211707) | Posted by bspark | Sunday, April 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Saint Just, from Naples, was a great folk-avantgarde-prog band. The first selftitled album, realized in 1973, is a fascinating example of dreaming music, with sax, piano and guitar (acoustic and electric) in evidence, but the real focus is the great, fascinating voice of Jane Sorrenti, a very o ... (read more)

Report this review (#98640) | Posted by armapo | Monday, November 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The debut album by this 70's Italian group with many influences of which the most notable are folk, psychedelic and even some classical. The band is probably most known of the dreamy (and sometimes out of tune) vocals by Jane Sorrenti (aka Jenny Sorrenti), the sister of Alan Sorrenti. I like her ... (read more)

Report this review (#29032) | Posted by geezer | Monday, May 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SAINT JUST "Saint Just"