WE ARE LEFT WITH A SONG

Label: BlackDay Productions
Format: CD, Digital
May 27, 2016

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

THENCE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THENCE We are Left with a Song Music

More places to buy THENCE music online Buy THENCE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THENCE We are Left with a Song ratings distribution

THENCE We are Left with a Song reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
4 stars The mystery of this album--and the reason it has taken me so long to write my review of it (even though I've been loving its songs for several months)--lies in its categorization. Is it Neo Prog like MYSTERY, EDISON'S CHILDREN, Thomas Thelen's T, RIVERSEA, or NINE STONES CLOSE, is it Crossover like TONY PATTERSON, Heavy Prog like KARNIVOOL and VOTUM, Experimental/Post Metal like ANATHEMA and STARE AT THE CLOUDS, Space Rock/Psychedelic like NOSOUND and MEMORIES OF MACHINES, or perhaps even Post Rock? Such is the enigmatic sound that these two guys--yes two guys--create. I think the "Experimental/Post Metal" subgenre that they have been assigned at ProgArchives is the best fit as they really do sound a lot like ANATHEMA and STARE AT THE CLOUDS.

Line-up: Juha Sirkki' - Vocals, keys, guitar, bass Erno R's'nen - Drums, percussions

1. "I Burn The Day, The Ghost" (8:18) sounds like the music that would be produced if two of the 21st Century's best bands came together to produce a song, Australia's KARNIVOOL with Sweden's BROTHER APE. The "strings" are mixed a little too loudly, in my opinion, and the voice a little too buried into the mix. Otherwise, a great song. (9/10)

2. "No One, Anyone, Be Someone" (6:06) sounds as if NoSOUND's Giancarlo Erra were singing for MYSTERY or KARNIVOOL. Like the previous song, I feel that the 'strings'--as wonderful as they are (great, lush arrangements)-- are mixed too loudly and the vocal too far into the mix--where it is getting buried--which is partly due to volume levels and part to the distortion effect through which it is run. (8/10)

3. "Abundance" (6:59) opens with electric guitar strumming what sounds like the same three chord progression that makes up the foundation of one of the COCTEAU TWINS' greatest songs of all time, "Pink Orange Red." A wonderful, heavily-sustained electric guitar lead covers the second half of this two-minute 'intro' section. From there on out the song has a feel of with a great chunky bass, solid drum foundation, and unobtrusive background synth washes over which Juha sings in another heavily-treated vocal (One that is, happily, not drowned out by the collective wall of sound created by the other instrument). The song could easily be mistaken for a great song from RIVERSEA, MYSTERY or TONY PATTERSON. (9.5/10)

4. "It Is Truth That Liberates" (4:24) opens with a little (as it turns out, foundational) computer synthesizer sequence that makes one expect the possibility of a PAUL OAKENFOLD/Ibiza-like electronic trance song. But, no, a heavy prog rock song forms over the top. Great keyboard 'strings' arrangements and a pretty good chord progression and vocal make this a solid and powerful song--though it could use a little more variation and development. (9/10)

5. "Pursue" (10:46) sounds like an odd, soft-but angular KING CRIMSON song--especially with the screaming, infinite-sustained, ROBERT FRIPP-like lead guitar throughout. The development, chord structure and vocal/vocal melody are all lacking a bit. Already before the song is half over the music has built, crescendoed and decayed into a soft, spacey piano and synth interlude. A DICK PARRY-like soling saxophone joins in for the seventh minute for a nice two-minute solo while the band joins in again at the seven minute mark. At 8:00 lead guitar takes over for the sax (for an awesome GIANCARLO ERRA-like solo) as the music continues beneath in a gorgeous ANATHEMA way. Great second half . . . can't make up for an average first half. (9/10)

6. "Oars In Our Hands" (7:43) a beautiful Post Metal synthesizer 'strings' arrangement permeates and founds this song and the second half is truly remarkable, but the opening half is less than winning, less than engaging. (9/10)

7. "Life Will Get You Eventually" (7:53) the same Post Metal sound and form with the usual gorgeous synthesizer 'strings' arrangements. One of the album's better vocals and some very strong bass and drums supporting the wall of sound up top. Perhaps a bit monotonous (especially after the previous six songs). (8.5/10)

Very solid drumming, very mature and accomplished synthesizer 'strings' work throughout and some pretty good guitar play, as well. The vocals could be better (or less treated) and the often-underdeveloped or one dimensional song constructions could be improved upon, but these guys definitely have a strong future ahead of them. A band to watch!!!

4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of progressive rock music and an excellent addition to any progressive rock music lover's album collection.

Post a review of THENCE "We are Left with a Song"