STRANGER HEADS PREVAIL

Thank You Scientist Stranger Heads Prevail album cover

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Music
Studio Album, released in 2016

1. Prologue: A Faint Applause (2:03)
2. The Somnambulist (5:33)
3. Caverns (7:06)
4. Mr. Invisible (7:36)
5. A Wolf In Cheap Clothing (6:43)
6. Blue Automatic (5:41)
7. Need More Input (7:47)
8. Rube Goldberg Variations (8:53)
9. Psychopomp (9:26)
10. The Amateur Arsonsists Handbook (6:04)
11. Epilogue: And The Clever Depart (1:07)

Total time 67:59

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Stranger Heads Prevail lyrics

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Stranger Heads Prevail tabs

- Salvatore Marrano / vocals
- Tom Monda / fretted & fretless guitars, acoustic guitar, sitar, shamisen, vocals, string arrangements, producer
- Ben Karas / Violin, 5-string electric violin, viola
- Andrew Digrius / trumpet, flugelhorn
- Ellis Jasenovic / tenor saxophone
- Cody McCorry / bass, Theremin, saw
- Odin Alvarez / drums

With:
- Mark Radice / vocals, piano, keyboards
- Bumblefoot / vocals (1)
- The Spectrum Vocal Ensemble / gang vocals
- Rebecca Harris / violin
- Tory Anne Daines / viola
- Gergly Kiss / cello
- AJ Merlino / percussion
- Sean Redman / timpani

CD Evil Ink Records ‎- EI208 (2015, US)

2xLP Evil Ink Records ‎- EI209V (2016, US)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

THANK YOU SCIENTIST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Stranger Heads Prevail Music

Stranger Heads PrevailStranger Heads Prevail
Evil Ink 2016
Stranger Heads PrevailStranger Heads Prevail
JVC 2016

More places to buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST music online Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Stranger Heads Prevail ratings distribution

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Stranger Heads Prevail reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
5 stars It took until 2016 for the next album, during which time they got a new bassist and violinist, but even though some personnel had changed they stayed true to what they had been producing on their previous works. They even started this one with an a capella introduction as they had with the last. Again we are being treated to a band that want to mix so many different styles and musical influences that it is superfluous to even mention them, but when Coheed and Cambria lay down next to Frank Zappa who is cosying up to Mars Volta, then one knows that one is in the presence of something quite special indeed. It is fresh, it is exciting, it is invigorating, and most of all it is just great fun to listen to!

This is not a prog band that wants to copy either Genesis, King Crimson, VDGG or Yes, but instead what to get out there and make a name for themselves performing the music they want, and no matter what everyone else may think of it. Interestingly, the vast majority of progheads who have come across their music think that they are amazing, so how come they aren't more well-known? Certainly they had missed me by totally, of which the only advantage I can think of is that now I know about them I have a few hours' worth of music to discover instead of just one album. That they can mix this complexity and intricacy in a way that makes it so easy to listen to is an art in itself, and something that very few bands ever manage. Full of light and shade, dynamics aplenty, this is an incredibly exciting album and one that I could listen to all day. Each time I play it I make more discoveries, with each musician being an integral part to the musical whole. If, like me, this amazing band had passed you by, then now is the time to discover some of the most interesting music you will find in the current prog scene.

Review by memowakeman
5 stars Review originally published in www.therocktologist.com

What an amazing band!

While the years of this decade have passed, Thank You Scientist has developed a wonderful, unique sound that shows a truly interesting crossover of prog rock, metal and jazz that now has landed in their second studio album entitled Stranger Heads Prevail, which shows a step forward from their previous releases. This album was one of my 2016 favorites, it hit me since the first listen, I still remember I was blown away saying things like "holy sh*t" or "wow, this is so good", expression I still use while listening to it by the way.

Eleven tracks are here, making a total time of 67 minutes of solid music that will make you have a great time. It opens with ""Prologue: A Faint Applause", a two-minute song that works of course as the introduction to what the album will be about. The vocals are acute and sweet, while the music has a circus-like feeling. It leads to "The Somnambulist" which shows much more energy since the very first seconds, that blend of genres I previously mentioned can be appreciated here, I love that metal spirit made by guitars, bass and drums, wonderfully complemented by a brass section and a subtle violin that appears here and there. Of course, Marrano's voice plays a main role during the whole album, being a crucial element of Thank You Scientist's sound.

Maybe, just to point out as reference, the sound might remind you of Coheed and Cambria and A.C.T., the main difference is that magnificent use of sax, trumpet and violin that we can appreciate and love in "Caverns". This great track could fit in the heavy prog label, with that inherent jazzy sound. In the final part there is a killer guitar solo. "Mr. Invisible" was the first track I listened from the album, and I must say it still is my favorite. What a song, my gosh! The jazz feeling is simply delicious, I love how in spite the challenging composition, the music could be catchy and easy to dig. I love its changes, the soft parts and then when it becomes heavier; I love the instrumental passages and the ones with vocals, I love how the musicians understand each other perfectly and share their talent with us.

"A Wolf in Cheap Clothing" starts slow, after the previous vertiginous track, this seems to share a moment of tranquility, just before its explosion that arrives a few seconds before minute two, so then Thank You Scientist once again offers a wonderful blend of jazz-prog-metal that no ears should let escape. "Blue Automatic" offers endless figures made by guitars, bass and violin, the guys are amazing musicians with so much technique. With some other bands/albums I sometimes have an issue with the Djent-ly sound and with those samples of virtuosity that lack of emotion, with Thank You Scientist that feeling has never appeared in my mind, on the other hand, these guys make me feel much interest in keeping my ears listening to every single minute.

"Need More Input" is a killer! Man, the contrast of their passages, how first it is laid-back and then explosive and exciting, later soft and expectant, and later more powerful and with infinite notes played that create so many textures and nuances. There is a great instrumental passage with a mid-eastern feeling and then one with a balkan-feeling, amazing. This is another favorite of mine, without a doubt. There are no weak tracks in this album, fortunately, so you will be positively surprised with all the songs That surprise came to me with "Rube Goldberg Variations" due to its delicate sound that create exquisite jazzy nuances when trumpet, sax and violin take the leadership. They even dared to create a Latin-jazz passage, so we can reaffirm how talented they are. This is the only instrumental track off the album, by the way.

"Psychopomp" has also that mid-eastern sound combined with a gypsy feeling. The song develops different structures and as usual, countless colors, textures and changes. The song's length is over nine minutes, but they pass so fast with a blink of an eye, which means it has naturally grew on me. "The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook" is the last lengthy track of the record, and in the end it sums up what their sound is about. "Epilogue: And the Clever Depart" brings the last minute of the album, a soft goodbye track.

Listening to this album is a great experience, but now I am truly excited because I will see Thank You Scientist on stage next Progtoberfest at Chicago, and am sure it will be an unforgettable experience. Please, do yourself a favor and listen to them.

Enjoy it!

5 stars I first encountered Thank You Scientist when they were opening for Haken in Glendale, CA. I'd never heard of them, despite their growing acclaim. Their set is one of the best shows I've seen and going into it blind was an incredible experience. This review isn't about their set though, it's about th ... (read more)

Report this review (#1704489) | Posted by baantacron | Thursday, March 23, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow... I have to say that this sounds as though we are having a prog history lesson. All of prog artists and subgenres get a nod here some how, from Yes, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa to the Mars Volta. And still, this band manages to sound original, which makes it even more incredible. I really enj ... (read more)

Report this review (#1699107) | Posted by chuckyfunk | Monday, March 6, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is my first review on this site. I've been reading reviews and getting a lot of good guidance for years, so finally joined! And this couldn't be a better first album for me to review. I actually just ran across TYS from a FB post from The Prog Report listing their top 15 albums of 2016, and ... (read more)

Report this review (#1665099) | Posted by Yeshead1 | Wednesday, December 7, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It was in the air. I had quite for some time found myself listening - without real satisfaction - to lots of different band and artists, some well enstablished and others quite unknown; I was in search of something new to listen, a kind of thing that happens when you are a good music fan. ... (read more)

Report this review (#1640035) | Posted by Il Bambinello | Sunday, November 6, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THANK YOU SCIENTIST "Stranger Heads Prevail"