STRICTLY COMMERCIAL

12. Let's Make The Water Turn Black
13. I'm The Slime
14. Joe's Garage
15. Bobby Brown Goes Down
16. Montana (single version)
17. Valley Girl
18. Be In My Video
19. Muffin man

Search FRANK ZAPPA Strictly Commercial lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Strictly Commercial tabs

- Name / guitars
- Name / drums

Rykodisc #RCD 40500

Thanks to for the addition
and to szabozoli for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Strictly Commercial Music

Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Hot RatsHot Rats
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Freak OutFreak Out
Zappa Records 2012
FRANK ZAPPA RUBEN AND THE JETS Mothers of Invention V6 5055-X SIGNED Autograph US $71.00 [10 bids]
58m 59s
FRANK ZAPPA SHEIK YERBOUTI SRZ-2-1501 VINYL 2X LP 1979 ORIG GREAT COND! VG+/VG!! US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Frank Zappa "Zappa in New York" 1978 Vinyl Record US $29.98 Buy It Now 1h 24m
FRANK ZAPPA ROCK HALL OF FAME MINT STAMP STRIP PAIR US $14.45 Buy It Now 1h 27m
FRANK ZAPPA:Congress:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $27.08 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Frank Zappa Weasels Ripped My Flesh 2001 Japan mini-LP PROMO CD VACK 1211 US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Frank Zappa Studio Tan 2002 Japan mini-LP PROMO CD VACK 1234 US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Frank Zappa / Mothers Roxy & Elsewhere 2001 Japan mini-LP PROMO CD VACK 1219 US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Frank Zappa Zappa In New York Original Rare 1977 DiscReet Hippie Psych Rock 2-Lp US $4.99 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa Guitar 2002 Japan mini-LP PROMO 2 CD VACK 1259 US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
FRANK ZAPPA "STUDIO TAN" ORIGINAL 1978 DISCREET RECORDS DSK-2291 NM- US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST JAPAN 1st ISSUE LP OBI MINT US $139.90 Buy It Now 2h 20m
FRANK ZAPPA "Waka Jawaka" LP Bizarre Reprise MS 2094 - 1972 NM- original 1st US $27.50 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Frank Zappa: MAKE A JAZZ NOISE HERE - Barking Pumpkin Records - 1991 First Issue US $24.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Joe's Xmasage Rare Sealed Color Vinyl LP + Poster US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti - Spanish 2-LP #frankzappa US $40.57 Buy It Now 3h 37m
FRANK ZAPPA Remington Electrick Razor Sealed Vinyl LP US $125.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
FRANK ZAPPA_CLEAN AMERICAN VERSION_CD_COLLECTIBLE_PROMO_1995_RYKODISC_14 TRACKS US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA - SWISS CHEESE - 3 CD US $78.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - LIVE IN EUROP ELECTRECORD ROMANIAN PRESS BLACK PANTHER US $44.24 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat- 2LP 180g - (Universal 2013) - MINT & SEALED US $42.19 Buy It Now 5h 15m
FRANK ZAPPA-For President-Licensed POSTER-90cm x 60cm-Brand New US $9.89 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Zappa In New York, Frank Zappa, New US $20.03 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Frank Zappa - 20 Extraordinary Renditions CD US $4.87 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 200 MOTELS ORIGINAL VERY RARE INDIA PRESSING DBL LP VG /VG US $286.99 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe/Over-nite Sensation (CD, 1986, Ryko Distribution) US $14.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa London Symphony Orchestra - London Symphony Orchestra, Vol NEW CD US $18.82 Buy It Now 7h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA - THEM OR US / Japan Double LP / OBI / 1984 / Record / Rare US $89.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Frank Zappa - King Kong LP - RARE 1st English Pressing Vinyl -Worldwide Shipping US $16.23 [0 bids]
Grand Funk Railroad Good Singin' Good Playin' Original SEALED LP Frank Zappa US $18.59 Buy It Now 8h 10m
FRANK ZAPPA /BEEFHEART - BOSTON MUSIC HALL 27/04/1975 (LATE SHOW) - LP US $49.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Zapped comp LP Bizarre Records 1969 US $10.00 [0 bids]
CASSETTE: FRANK ZAPPA Meets the mothers of invention ROCK POP US $8.10 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Record FRANK ZAPPA meets MOTHERS of INVENTION shrink NM no barcode! 1985 US $6.99 [0 bids]
1978 Frank Zappa Studio Tan 1st Pressing DSK2291 USA Deep Groove NEAR MINT US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Vinyl record LP album MOTHERS FILMORE EAST 1971 Frank Zappa vg+ vinyl g cover US $5.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Concert Tour T-Shirt Barking Pumpkin Small Jersey Vintage NEVER WORN US $69.99 Buy It Now 10h
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 4 - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.92 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Frank Zappa - The Mothers of Invention "Freak Out!" VG/VG+ LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE VOL. 4 CASSETTE TAPE TESTED BARGAIN! US $9.50 Buy It Now 10h 35m
DON SUGARCANE HARRIS-ANTHOLOGY VOLUME ONE-1999 2xCD-FRANK ZAPPA-RARE US $45.44 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Roots Of Frank Zappa - Various Artists (NEW CD) US $10.94 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention "Uncle Meat" 2 LP Set US $39.99 Buy It Now 10h 44m
21 Burnt Weeny Sandwiches (Frank Zappa) CD US $4.87 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa-Zoot Allures Japan WLP Promo LP W/OBI Inserts Stone Mint RARE US $198.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Jean Luc Ponty King Kong Near Mint Rare LP US $58.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)10c Rare Meat-Rhino-RNEP 604-US-Ex/Ex US $65.99 Buy It Now 11h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA hot rats RYKODISC RECORDS CD ALBUM RCD10508! US $16.22 Buy It Now 11h 24m
FRANK ZAPPA - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 7" RECORD STORE DAY RSD 2014 US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
frank zappa 2cd you can't take it....vol. 1 RYKO 10081 1988 ORIGINAL m-/m- US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 33m
frank zappa 2cd you can't take it....vol. 2 RYKO 10083 1988 ORIGINAL m-/m- US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA - JOE'S GARAGE - DUTCH CBS IMPORT - ACT 1 - LP US $12.97 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial: The Best of (1995) JAPAN Mini LP 2 CD (2008) US $26.99 Buy It Now 11h 37m
CD Album Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is RARE OOP US $30.81 Buy It Now 11h 39m
frank zappa 2cd uncle meat RYKO 10064 1987 made in japan m-/m- US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 42m
frank zappa 2cd thing-fish RYKO 10020 1986 original m-/m- US $13.49 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Classic Interviews, Frank Zappa, Good US $8.71 Buy It Now 11h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA - DANCIN FOOL / BABY SNAKES - 7" SINGLE 1979 ZAPPA RECORDS - Z-10- US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA LP -- "Zoot Allures" -- PLAY GRADE VG+ US $8.00 Buy It Now 12h
FRANK ZAPPA Broadway the Hard Way CD Classic Rock 1995 (1988) US $10.99 Buy It Now 12h
Frank Zappa "The Man From Utopia" LP, FW 38403 US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Frank Zappa " You Are What You Is" Double LP, 1981 US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Frank Zappa "Them Or Us" 2 LP Set Gate Fold With Insert, Barking Pumpkin Records US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA - Tinseltown Rebellion 1981 2LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA - VALLEY GIRL / YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS - 7" SINGLE - 1981 BARKING PUMPK US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
Frank Zappa "Clean American Version" In Store Play Sampler Rykodisc US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Frank Zappa~Original OZ 2XLP Zappa in New York EX 1978 Art Rock Hard Rock   US $31.56 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Frank Zappa~Original US PS 45 I don't wanna get drafted EX 1980 Art Rock  US $12.60 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Frank Zappa mr gene's greens US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA*A PETULANT FRENZY*1-CD SET*RARE OOP LTD.ED PRO*NOT TARANTURA US $14.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION 200 MOTELS RARE SOUNDTRACK W/BOOKLET UA US $19.99 [0 bids]
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa Ryko I Could Be a Star Now Catholic Girls and MORE! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Playground Psychotics by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $25.00 Buy It Now 13h 17m
Frank Zappa/Have I Offended Someone?/1997 CD Album US $12.97 Buy It Now 13h 31m
FRANK ZAPPA FACE DESIGN GUITARIST ROCK BLUES QUANTITY 1 BLACK T-SHIRT S# S-XXL US $16.49 Buy It Now 13h 33m
Frank Zappa I Don't Wanna Get Drafted /Ancient Armaments Holland Import 45 W/PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA sheik yerbouti 2 LP UK Digital Audiophile VG+ EN 5001 Vinyl 1979 US $60.00 Buy It Now 13h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA BEET THE BOOTS 1 IN UNOPENED BOX SET!!! MINTY MINT! UNOPENED!!! US $299.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - Lumpy Gravy - Mini LP - Japan US $36.00 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Frank Zappa "Studio Tan" LP VG++ DSK 2291 Mothers of Invention Orig US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 52m
Broadway the Hard Way Frank Zappa CD Ryko Ike Willis US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA - SET OF 10 MIXED PROMO POSTER POSTCARDS # 2 US $8.10 [0 bids]
Zoot Allures Frank Zappa CD Ryko Ike Willis US $33.99 Buy It Now 13h 58m
FRANK ZAPPA/ MOTHERS - Roxy & Elsewhere - Japan US $46.00 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Frank Zappa 200 Motels Motion Picture Soundtrack 8-Track Tape: NEW, SEALED US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Frank Zappa The Mothers "Overnight Sensation" 1973 Vinyl Record US $19.98 Buy It Now 14h 15m
FRANK ZAPPA: Finer Moments LP (Germany, 2 LPs, 180 gram pressing, gatefold cove US $35.00 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Frank Zappa You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore 1 3 5 6 Joe's Garage More++ 16CDs US $99.95 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Frank Zappa - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 7" RSD 2014 RARE Vinyl Record US $32.99 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa & The Mother Of Invention 2 CD Set Sealed New ! US $8.95 Buy It Now 14h 28m
FRANK ZAPPA ep WAKA-JAWAKA + 2 argentina ID# 13627 WOL PROMO ONLY B-SIDE THE DO US $249.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
We´Re Only In It For The Money - Frank Zappa CD Sealed ! New ! US $6.87 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Freak Out ! - Frank Zappa & The Mother Of Invention CD Sealed ! New ! US $6.87 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Mothers of Invention - Why Don'tcha Do My Right / Big Leg Emma 7" frank zappa US $13.99 Buy It Now 14h 40m
Frank Zappa Mothers of Invention Absolutely Free LP Record Album V/V6-5013 US $9.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Hot Rats 8 Track Tape US $38.88 Buy It Now 14h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS Roxy & Elsewhere 8 Track Tape US $18.88 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Frank Zappa : Tinseltown Rebellion CD (1995) US $14.58 Buy It Now 15h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA LEFT OF THE DIAL 17 SONG PROMO CD Rykodisc VRCD0505 US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS One Size Fits All 8 Track tape US $18.88 Buy It Now 15h 6m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Strictly Commercial ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Strictly Commercial reviews

Review by Menswear
3 stars Gail Zappa and her daughter were in Quebec a few months ago to defend a single song. One tiny song. The Zappa clan striked hard. They won in court and how. They do know where their heritage is going. I don't talk about money, but music. With Frank, it's always about the music. Whatever he did, he applied himself. He shows a high level of quality every thing he touched. When I decided to plunge into Zappa, I got dizzy. So many albums, so many sidedishes...I honestly got confused. Strickly Commercial is, indeed, not- essential. But it gives you a neat sneak to a side of Frank. A more accessible side. But don't be fooled, it's no MOR. Read under 'perfectionist' in your dictionairy. You'll probably see a tiny picture of him (hope it's not the one where he's sitting on the can). All the easy listening classics are there. And he stole my heart. From 'Don't eat the yellow snow' to 'Let's make the water turn black' and 'Valley Girl', I could'nt stop laughing. Very weird sense of humor. But at last! My kind of humor. Zappa provokes, but I never got offended. Zappa does not provokes like heavy metal did (Deicide etc...) or pop (remember the single 'Barbie Girl'), but in a way I honestly never experienced before. It's really hard to describe, because you have to listen and read the crazy titles to fully understand the DELIGHTFUL WORLD HE CREATED. It's fantasy, but you suspect he bases himself on real people and events. Recommended for 'newcomers' like me who wants to get a good laugh and appreciate a somewhat musically thick record. It's progressive rock despite the fact that it looks like fish, but tastes like chicken...

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#29969) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team
3 stars Frank Zappa was a guitar legend and under-estimated music writer. This collection really shows the dirversity of the man playing and carreer. Though it is good in that respect, the selection of songs is a bit slack. I would have like to see this collection as a two cd set, so that the songs chosen would be more complete. Take the album 'One size fits all'. A great album. The only song from that album on this collection is 'San Ber'dino'. A good song yes, but there are better on the album. Another reason for the extention is so that more of his styles could have been included. However, I still like the collection as it is, but i feel it could be better. A great starting point of his music, and probably the best collection/compliation of Zappa's out there.

Send comments to Man With Hat (BETA) | Report this review (#29971) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Review by Chicapah
4 stars I've spoken to music fans who admitted to actually being SCARED of Uncle Frank! To those cowering folk I recommend this great sampler to ease into Zappa's wonderful world of musical colors. He presented to the world what we needed most. A sense of humor and satire in a universe that insists on taking itself much too seriously. This isn't perfect, however, and I could do without hearing the grating Valley Girl ever again but it's here because it did chart due to its timely novelty. But with the rest of the cd you get a good dose of Mr. Z in his brilliance. San Ber'dino, Dirty Love, Cosmik Debris, Montana, Be in my Video and Muffin Man are all smile creators in the midst of incredible musicianship. And Peaches En Regalia should be the national anthem. So, if you do not own any of his albums but have always wanted to peek through the keyhole and catch a glimpse of what's inside the mad scientist's workshop, this is just the ticket for you.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#72122) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 17, 2006

Review by Seyo
2 stars This is a good collection of Zappa "hits" spanning his entire career. A worthwhile purchase for novices or casual listeners who might be unfamiliar with the works of this master. But, in any decent prog catalogue which prefers original albums, this item is unneeded. Unless you are a completist, of course!

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#72138) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 17, 2006

4 stars I know when it comes to compilations 2 or 3 stars is usually the right rating, but there is something very special about hearing such a variety of excellent music that spans some 22 years. This may sound silly but I feel so proud listening to this record, this would be the perfect Zappa album to give to someone who you think might be swayed over to the dark side.

"Over-Nite Sensation" is dipped into the most here, but it opens with "Peaches En Regalia" from "Hot Rats". What an airy and beautiful instrumental to start off with. "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" features that most feared of weapons the dog-doo snow cone. And then we get Frank making fun of the disco crowd in "Dancin' Fool" and "Disco Boy", and then it's those caught up in mystic ways who are mocked in "Cosmik Debris".

"Trouble Every Day" from his debut has those meaningful words that were inspired from race riots that were going on at the time. He shouts "I'm not black, but there's a whole lots of times I wish I wasn't white." "Sexual Harassment In The Workplace" is a great instrumental that I can listen to over and over again. "Montana" is one of my favs that starts off with that slowly sung line "I might be moving to Montana soon". Yeah he's going off to grow some dental floss. "Muffin Man" always makes me laugh when Frank starts laughing. Some great guitar follows.

So yeah this is an excellent addition to your prog collection, and it will also make you want to break out some of his albums you haven't heard in a while.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#155945) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Strictly Commercial" is a compilation album by US experimental rock artist Frank Zappa. The album was released through Rykodisc in August 1995, 2 years after the death of Frank Zappa and it is the first posthumous best of Frank Zappa release out of many that would subsequently be released through Rykodisc.

The track selection concentrates on the most commercial and mainstream friendly tracks from Frank Zappa´s discography and there are none of his more experimental tracks featured on this compilation, which features material released between 1966 and 1988. There are several of classic Frank Zappa tracks featured on the album though and some of his most humourous as well like "Bobby Brown Goes Down". Oon the US version this particular track is not featured. It´s replaced by Tell Me You Love Me due to controversy over the explicit lyrics for "Bobby Brown Goes Down"). Other highlights include "Disco Boy", "Cosmik Debris", "Dirty Love", "Dancin´ Fool", "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" and "Muffin man". The most "experimental/different" tracks here are the phenomenal instrumental jazz rock track "Peaches En Regalia" and "Sexual Harassment In The Workplace" which is ultimately a vehicle for a Frank Zappa guitar solo. The rest is more or less what you would expect from a best of compilation. There´re only a few tracks from the Mothers of Invention days in "Let's Make The Water Turn Black", "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" and "Trouble Every Day", but that´s only natural as that part of Frank Zappa´s huge discography was never that commercially successful.

So if you´re interested in Frank Zappa´s most accessible tracks and don´t initially want to purchase his full discography to find out where those tracks come from this compilation is an easy and overall pretty good starting point. If you´re already a fan there´s nothing new for you here and you can safely pass this one by. The tracklist is really strong and even though the idea of best of collections is usually hard to appreciate "Strictly Commercial" serves it´s purpose well by making a good entry point for the uninitiated before delving into the more inaccessible parts of Frank Zappa´s discography. A 4 star (80%) rating is therefore deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#227239) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Whoot for Greatest Hits!

Yet another Zappa album, but it's nothing new. Certainly Greatest Hits albums are great, especially for me, who got this album to get my feet wet with Zappa's dozens of studio albums. The album has 19 of Zappa's better tracks, each being odd and creative, different from each other, fun, and imaginative. Vocal tracks often have humorous stories and vocals. Instruments used are used in creative ways, perfectly adding to the music where it should be.

Each track seems to have a mind of it's own, weaving in and out of Zappa's styles, from jazz fusion to "pseudo-disco" to progressive rock and so many other sub genres that he explored. The album most definitely is a good compilation album, compiling his best track, his better tracks, and is good tracks. Each track can be compiled as such: Peaches in Regalia (best), Don't Eat the Yellow Snow (best), Dancin' Fool (better), San Berdino (better), Dirty Love (good), My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (best), Cosmik Debris (good), Trouble Every Day (good), Disco Boy (good), Fine Girl (good), Sexual Harassment in the Workplace (better), Let's Make the Water Black (good), I'm the Slime (better), Joe's Garage (better), Tell Me You Love Me (better), Montana (better), Valley Girl (good), Be in My Video (good), Muffin Man (best).

ALBUM OVERALL: You can see that there isn't very many "best" tracks, because not many were put on the album. The album is good, but getting albums such as Freak Out, Joe's Garage, Apostrophe ('), or We're Only in It for the Money. All the songs are definitely good, but some aren't essential. 3 stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#307087) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 28, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars This was my second Zappa purchase back when it came out. Shortly after Frank died, I bought Hot Rats after reading an article about him in RollingStone magazine. That issue had Nirvana on the cover, and future issues had letters complaining that Zappa should have been on the cover instead. I agree. The mainstream press and audience generally ignored Frank his whole career. Presented here is some of his most mainstream songs. Only one being an actual hit.

Three of the songs are single edits. The original Mothers are represented by three songs. The version of this compilation here is the European one; it has a different cover to the American version and contains "Bobby Brown" instead of "Tell Me You Love Me". The instrumental "Sexual Harassment..." from Guitar is a strange choice. The only really essential songs here are "Peaches En Regalia", "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" and maybe "I'm The Slime".

This collection left me confused more than anything. After becoming acquainted with Zappa's discography, I can say that few of the songs here are among my favourites. This is a nice sampler I guess, but doesn't really give you a hint about how creative and important this man's music was. Zappa is one of those artists where you have to listen to whole albums to understand him. 2 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#380986) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 16, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This Franz Zappa compilation is not a "best of" collection. I suppose you could call it a "greatest hits" collection, as it does contain pretty much all of the songs that received moderate amounts of radio airplay. But those, like Peaches En Regalia, Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, Dirty Love and Valley Girl wouldn't comprise a full length CD. Radio programmers in Zappa's day just didn't have the guts to play much music of his caliber. Just imagine if Zappa were just flourishing now, with DJs and programmers having devolved down to spineless jellyfish, the difficulty in getting this music publicized. But I digress. How this album could best be descibed is a collection of Frank's more commercial, or accessable tunes.

There are hints of Zappa's amazing compositional skills. Zappa could not help but embellish most of his music with outrageous licks. But for the most part the songs stay relatively simplistic, the kind the mundane radio listener might be able to listen to without growing horns and going on a murderous rampage.

Be warned: Don't Eat The Yellow Snow and Montana are both castrated single edit versions. Otherwise, this set of radio friendly songs is good for initiating friends and family into the world of Zappa. Just be ready for thr time when Junior's grade school teacher asks you why he's singing songs about a poodle.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#442181) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 03, 2011

4 stars This CD was my first proper introduction to Frank Zappa. The only FZ song I had been even remotely familiar with before hearing this album was Valley Girl (the one song on this album where the compilation title applies most aptly), due to receiving some radio air-time when I was young. (It was an ... (read more)

Report this review (#222056) | Posted by catfood03 | Saturday, June 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Strictly Commercial"