THE YELLOW SHARK

Frank Zappa The Yellow Shark album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Live, released in 1993

1. Intro (1:43)
2. Dog Breath Variations (2:07)
3. Uncle Meat (3:24)
4. Outrage at Valdez (3:27)
5. Times Beach II (7:31)
6. III Revised (1:45)
7. The Girl in the Magnesium Dress (4:33)
8. Be-Bop Tango (3:43)
9. Ruth Is Sleeping (5:56)
10. None of the Above (2:17)
11. Pentagon Afternoon (2:28)
12. Questi Cazzi Di Piccione (3:03)
13. Times Beach III (4:26)
14. Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America, 1992 (2:52)
15. Welcome to the United States (6:39)
16. Pound for a Brown (2:12)
17. Exercise No. 4 (1:37)
18. Get Whitey (7:00)
19. G-Spot Tornado (5:17)

Search FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark lyrics

- Hilary Sturt / violin, voices
- Friedemann Dähn / violoncello
- Thomas Fichter / contrabass, Fichter electric upright bass

Rykodisc #RCD 40560

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark Music

Freak Jazz Movie Madness & Another MothersFreak Jazz Movie Madness & Another Mothers
Multiple Formats
Sexy Intellectual 2014
DVD$14.84
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Freak OutFreak Out
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
The Grand WazooThe Grand Wazoo
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa-I Don't Wanna Get Drafted-Pink Floyd Picture Sleeves US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 3s
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $33.59 Buy It Now 48m 30s
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $27.18 Buy It Now 48m 30s
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $19.16 Buy It Now 48m 30s
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $14.35 Buy It Now 48m 30s
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $22.37 Buy It Now 48m 30s
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 EU 2 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 EU 2 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
FRANK ZAPPA Official Merchandise Product SEW-On-Patch New ZAPPA US $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Frank Zappa-Mothers of invention-weasels ripped my flesh -LP-RSLP2028-a2b1-1970 US $16.02 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Lp Zapped VG++ Disc w Captain Beefheart, Alice Cooper, the GTO's US $7.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Palmdale..Rare Live 2 CD Phoenix USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $94.59 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Frank Zappa Swiss Chees..Rare Live 3 CD Basel Switzerland 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $126.66 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Frank Zappa I Wanna...Rare Live 2 CD East Lansing USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $94.59 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Frank Zappa Two Cosmic...Rare Live 3 CD San Carlos USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $126.66 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Läther by FRANK ZAPPA 3 CDS RARE ADVANCE PRESSING US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA : OVER-NIGHT SENSATION (MS2149) - RARITIES US $8.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 11 FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION LP RECORDS HOT RATS ZAPPED US $78.49 [13 bids]
PROMO LABEL / FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT I / WITH OBI NM MINT- SUPERB US $299.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Frank Zappa-Mothers of invention-studio tan -LP-k59210-1978-a1b1 US $16.02 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Man From Utopia Japan Mini LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
King Kong - Jean-Luc Ponty Plays the Music of Frank Zappa Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia - 238662 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Frank Zappa - Them Or Us - 238702 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes - 238892 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion - 238622 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka - 238482 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Frank Zappa - Broadway The Hard Way - 238792 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong In Music? - 238742 US $18.31 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Frank Zappa - I Don't Wanna Get Drafted 7" promo single (CBS - 1980) US $12.81 [0 bids]
The Mothers Frank Zappa - Over-nite Sensation NEW CD US $15.65 Buy It Now 3h 58m
The Mothers Of Invention Freak Out Frank Zappa Verve Release 2LP Set NM US $85.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
The Lost Episodes by Frank Zappa (CD, Nov-2012, Universal) US $10.03 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Frank Zappa nd the Mothers - We're Only In It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy US $5.00 [0 bids]
Guitar by Frank Zappa *New CD* US $12.28 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Riccardo Tanki Fassi - Plays Music Frank Zappa [CD New] US $28.81 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Frank Zappa - Freak Out! [Vinyl New] US $28.94 Buy It Now 4h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHER OF INVENTION «FREAK OUT!» CASSETTE RARE RYKO RAC 10501 US $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
MOTHERS OF INVENTION Why Don'tcha Do Me Right RSD vinyl 7" NEW Frank Zappa US $16.02 Buy It Now 4h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA I'm The Slime UK RSD green vinyl 7" NEW/UNPLAYED US $16.02 Buy It Now 4h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Original US 45 w/ Picture Sleeve US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 47m
FRANK ZAPPA lumpy gravy UK LP 1972 reissue MOTHERS OF INVENTION US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
FRANK ZAPPA - CHUNGA'S REVENGE 2001 JAPAN MINI LP CD US $40.07 Buy It Now 4h 55m
FRANK ZAPPA - HAVE I OFFENDED SOMEONE? [014431057724] - NEW CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 5h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA - SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH - VINYL 12" ALBUM US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Mothers Of Invention and Frank Zappa Weasels Ripped My Flesh cd US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA - LP 24 Carat Gold Disc - SHEIK YERBOUTI US $208.42 Buy It Now 5h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA-"RETURN OF THE SON OF KILL UGLY RADIO" RARE 1996 U.S. RYKO PROMO CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Project Object Lp No Tmoq Mudshark Billy Dexter Band Psych Rock US $33.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA Return of the son Kill Ugly Radio 1996 USA CAREER SAMPLER PROMO CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA WILD MAN FISCHER AN EVENING WITH RARE '68 BIZARRE REPRISE NM 2 LP !! US $169.00 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Pink Floyd Yes Camel Frank Zappa Progressive Rock Jazz Fusion Free Download US $13.60 Buy It Now 5h 57m
FRANK ZAPPA-FRANCESCO 1984 BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS LP ST-74202 EXC. VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h
Have I Offended Someone? by Frank Zappa (CD, Nov-2012, Universal) US $9.88 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Frank Zappa- Roxy & Elsewhere US $9.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Waka Jawaka Hot Rats 8 4 Track Tape psych rock Mothers Invention US $24.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Frank Zappa- Roxy & Elsewhere US $7.00 [0 bids]
Finer Moments by Frank Zappa (CD, Dec-2012, 2 Discs, Zappa Records (USA)) US $16.55 Buy It Now 6h 17m
FRANK ZAPPA Them Or Us LP 74200 GATEFOLD VG+ VG+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Frank Zappa w Captain Beefheart - Bongo Fury (1989 Zappa Records) CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Frank Zappa "APOSTROPHE ! " 1974 Discreet Pressing LP. US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
THE MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST-JUNE 1971 LP FRANK ZAPPA REPRISE RECORDS K-44150 US $8.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT 1 - ZAPPA RECORD - SRZ-1-1603 - LP - EX - GATEFOLD US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Frank Zappa [LP] Studio Tan *EX* [Discreet; DSK 2291] (1978) US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Jazz from Hell by Frank Zappa (CD, Oct-2012, Universal) US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 200 Motels Soundtrack LP VG+ VG+ Mothers Of Invention MCA 2-4183 US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA/MOTHERS OF INVENTION**WHY DON'TCHA DO MY RIGHT? (7 INCH)**VINYL US $7.16 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Here it is, The Music Vol 1 RYKO, FRANK ZAPPA, JIMI HENDRIX, DEVO US $5.88 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Apostrophe'/Overnite Sensation by Frank Zappa RYKO RCD40025 LN US $18.89 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Frank Zappa - 20 Extraordinary Renditions CD US $12.02 Buy It Now 7h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA - WAX FLAGS - LIVE AT UCLA NEW YEARS EVE 1977 - RARE 2 RECORD SET! US $31.99 Buy It Now 8h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA-HOT RATS-ROCK LP on BIZARRE US $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 10m
FRANK ZAPPA Chunga's revenge Rare French LP US $45.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Reuben And The Jets Lp White Label Promo Prod Frank zappa US $5.50 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA**MEETS THE MOTHERS OF PREVENTION**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All [CD New] US $10.37 Buy It Now 8h 15m
2 CD FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS PLAYGROUND PSYCHOTICS FATBOX W/ JOHN LENNON JAM US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Frank Zappa -Chunga's Revenge -Bizarre Reprise MS 2030 31107 LP 1970 PSYCH US $18.49 Buy It Now 8h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA**LOST EPISODES**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 8h 50m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Can You Do It 1976 7" record 45 import Germany Frank Zappa US $14.95 Buy It Now 8h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA**AHEAD OF THEIR TIME**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 9h 10m
FRANK ZAPPA**PLAYGROUND PSYCHOTICS**2 CD SET US $12.58 Buy It Now 9h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA/MOTHERS OF INVENTION**ROXY AND ELSEWHERE (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $25.95 Buy It Now 9h 19m
FRANK ZAPPA**STUDIO TAN**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe [LP] 2014 Vinyl LP/ Sealed US $27.90 Buy It Now 9h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA / IN NEW YORK / 8 TRACK TAPE US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA ISRAEL LP SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE HEBREW ON LABEL & COVER NM Israel US $45.00 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Frank Zappa SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH LP FW38066 VG+/EX US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Act 1 1979 Cassette Rock NM US $3.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA / JEAN-LUC PONTY -LUC - KING KONG NEW CD US $16.31 Buy It Now 9h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA - FREAK OUT NEW VINYL US $41.70 Buy It Now 10h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA - OVER-NITE SENSATION NEW VINYL US $34.05 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Frank Zappa Orchestral Favorites 8 Track Tape TESTED US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 7m
NME 1993 DEC 18 BOO RADLEYS FRANK ZAPPA MEAT LOAF SUEDE US $14.41 Buy It Now 10h 23m
FRANK ZAPPA / THE MAN FROM UTOPIA / CASSETTE TAPE / EMI US $6.40 Buy It Now 10h 40m
Frank Zappa Studio Tan NM wax Discreet Cover VG+ US $30.60 Buy It Now 10h 42m
Frank Zappa Joe's Garage 2x LP 1979 USA !! US $9.20 [4 bids]
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Act 1, 2 & 3 (CD, 1987, 2 Discs, Rykodisc) US $16.95 Buy It Now 11h
FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY VERVE LP VG+ US $128.97 Buy It Now 11h 10m
8 Track-Frank Zappa/The Mothers-Just Another Band From L.A. - 1972 - SEALED! US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark reviews

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team
4 stars Wonderful. Absolutely great. This is the definnative album for Zappa's "classical" music. Emsomble Modern does a wonderful job of playing, weather it is new or old. This is a very fitting farewell to Frank Zappa. Everything here is great. Food Gathering...is very great. Wonderful job by who ever did the speaking. Welcome To The United States is very funny. Peter did a fantastic job speaking. The best by far, on this album, would be G-Spot Tornado. Stunning! I am amazed how well they pulled off this song. Absolutly fantastic! All in all a wonderful album, desevered to be listen to by all.

Send comments to Man With Hat (BETA) | Report this review (#30013) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 28, 2005

3 stars I wished I liked orchestral/classical music more. This being Frank's last studio album before he died is special, it's just not my favourite style of music that's all. It does seem like he fulfilled a dream in doing these live concerts over in Europe.The best performances were taken and used on this album called "The Yellow Shark". A thick booklet comes with it detailing how this came about, the process, the concerts, interviews with those involved, pictures and lots more. I was surprised at some of the people who are thanked, different actors and famous people that I guess were friends and acquaintances of Frank and Gail Zappa. People like Jack Nicholson, Beverly D'Angelo, Yoko Ono, Tom & Roseanne Arnold, Matt Groening, Larry Flynt, Stephen Hawking, Johnny Carson, Dennis Miller and lots more including their kids Diva, Ahmet, Dweezil and Moon.

I really enjoyed what I thought was a similar album to this called "The Perfect Stranger" which it turns out has more in common with UNIVERS ZERO than "The Yellow Shark". I love how enthusiastic the audiences are during these live shows. And in the intro Frank tells them "Now lets get serious ladies and gentlemen..." and ends his opening dialogue by saying "If you feel like throwing underpants on the stage throw them over here". The first 3 tracks are orchestral, almost sounding like a movie soundtrack actually. Then we get to "Times Beach II" which I like a lot more as it is slower chamber music with different sounds coming and going.

More of this music on "The Girl In The Magnesium Dress" which was actually on "The Perfect Stranger". "Ruth Is Sleeping" might be my favourite as it is darker and almost UNIVERS ZERO-like to begin with. We get a ton of violin on both "III Revised" and "None Of The Above". More modern chamber music on "Questi Cazzi Di Piccione" and "Times Beach III". Both are highlights for me. The next 4 songs I can take them or leave them. There are some skits involved on a couple of them. Then we get to "Get Whitey" a cool,slow moving piece. The final song is "G-Spot Tornado" which was taken from the "Jazz From Hell" album. It's an uptempo and fun track.

This album isn't high on my enjoyment scale, but it is high on my admiration scale. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#161896) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008

Review by darkshade
COLLABORATOR Jazz Rock/Fusion Team
5 stars This review is based on the 2012 reissue.

The Yellow Shark is such a great album. It's breathtaking at times, and doesn't get all tense, scary, and nervous like the London Symphony Orchestra album does (which is a totally different beast of an album anyway). Frank comes out and tells the audience to "get serious, folks", even though he says to throw any panties off to the side of the stage.

The Zappa classics that get a makeover here are outstanding, and rival their earlier versions. I'm especially keen on the Dog Breath Variations and the Uncle Meat theme, because they translate so well to an orchestra. The sound is also outstanding, not only one of the best sounding Frank Zappa albums, but also one of the best sounding albums from anyone that I've ever heard.

Most of the tunes get a HUGE applause from the crowd, especially the final G-Spot Tornado, which itself is a remarkable rendition of a tune Zappa originally wrote for the Synclavier machine on Jazz From Hell, never meant to be played by actual musicians, but the crowd roars with cheers and applause, and apparently went on for over 20 minutes, and the fade out with the crowd still going crazy is a testament to that. I don't know if I've ever heard a live recording from any band or artist where the applause lasted so long that they eventually had to fade it out, as we do get to hear a good chunk of it. Another synclavier song that made it here is The Girl In The Magnesium Dress, which sounds cool because I think Frank wrote it with just his hands going up and down the keys of the synclavier keyboard, yet it got transcribed and played by this wonderful orchestra.

As for the new songs, they are also excellent. Some of them are minimalistic, as that seems to be the direction Zappa was going, but I believe the direction he took in the early 90s was, in part, due to his diagnosis of having cancer. Still, songs like Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America, 1992 and Welcome To The United States are some of the coolest pieces of music Frank wrote. The former brings some humor which was missing from a few tracks prior. The latter is cool because a form given to people entering the U.S. is recited over the music, which itself is very dramatic, and in classic Zappa form, reacts to what is being said by the performer. It reminds me of something Captain Beefheart would do, like on The Grand Wazoo from The Lost Episodes (not to be confused with The Grand Wazoo from the album of the same name; The Lost Episodes one is a completely different song).

The case it comes in is beautiful, and the pictures in the giant booklet are great; some are funny, some are just plain cool, but there's one that makes me sad, it's the last one, with some of the guys Frank worked with around that time, like producers and mixers, and they're sitting around him and everyone is smiling, but Frank clearly hadn't shaved for months, meaning the pic was taken not too long before he passed. He knew his time was coming.

I always put The Yellow Shark off because I wasn't ready for it and other orchestral albums because I just wanted the rock and fusion stuff back when I first got into his music. And then when the reissues started coming out and I started collecting them, I still held off on getting The Yellow Shark (and Civilization Phaze III still), but now I realize that was a major error on my part, and I've been keeping myself from listening to one of Zappa's last great works, and it really is one of the best projects he ever put together. If only he had even a few more months to cherish it. He always said he made music for himself, and if others liked it, cool. But us fans have had more time to digest those last couple of releases than he ever did, even though he wrote the music. Point is, The Yellow Shark is magnificent, and I only wish I got it sooner, but now I can listen to it whenever I want.

Don't hold off on getting this album if you are a Zappa fan already, this is an essential piece of music. I wouldn't recommend this to a Zappa newbie, but maybe after you've got 10 or so albums, maybe this would be a good intro to his orchestral work, though I'd argue that any of them are good to start with. This one, however, does have the best sound, with the best intentions from the performers. Masterpiece of prog, classical, of music.

Send comments to darkshade (BETA) | Report this review (#329276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 22, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars The circumstances surrounding this album are such that not really liking it is enough to make me feel a little guilty. This was the last Zappa album before his unfortunate passing, and it largely fulfilled one of his lifelong wishes: to have his "serious" music played by an orchestra that was up to the task and that would take his work seriously. I don't know a lot about Ensemble Modern, but I know that they have a good reputation amongst fans of late 20th-century classical, and they were probably the ideal choice to handle this music. In short, everything about this album exudes Big Symbolic Power (especially with Zappa conducting a small number of tracks), and a proper narrative of Zappa's career and life would consider this the definitive argument in favor of Zappa, the serious composer.

It's too bad, then, that I just don't like it much. I like a lot of classical music, and I even like a few composers who did much of their work in the 20th century. There's just a certain point, though, somewhere out beyond the borders of Bartok (whom I love) and Schoenberg (about whom I'm somewhat ambivalent), where my patience for stretching the boundaries of music wears thin. I remember reading a fascinating article in which the author responded to a claim by a defender of modern classical: the defender's statement was, essentially, that it was hypocritical for people to complain about not knowing what to expect when listening to a new classical piece, when people had no problem going to watch a soccer game without knowing in advance how it would turn out. The author's counter (I'm paraphrasing and rewriting parts of it, as I don't have the original link) was that this was a false comparison: somebody watching a soccer game might not know how the game would finish, but at least they'd know the rules of the game. They would know that the game would be played with one ball, not three: they'd know the goal of the game was to knock the ball into the opposing net: and they would know that the score might end 1-0, or 4-2, or possibly 8-1, but that it would not end with a score of Q to 7 or thereabouts. I simply cannot understand the kind of music that dominates much of this release, and given how relatively easy my assimilation into the world of classical music has been otherwise, I can't help but think that this isn't entirely my fault. Does my lack of ability to figure out what Frank and the Ensemble are doing on much of this album reveal a gaping hole in my artistic sensibilities? It probably does, and yet, I just don't feel a great urge to correct that deficiency, or like I'm missing out on that much. I can generally tolerate much of this as background music, and I do find it funny that "Girl in the Magnesium Dress" has been given a full orchestral treatement (making this an orchestral version of somebody running fingers randomly up and down a synthesizer), but enjoyment is something else entirely.

The album has some stretches that break the tedium in a decent way, though. There are some very nice renditions of various Uncle Meat tracks ("Dog Breath Variations," "Uncle Meat," "Pound for a Brown") that make me wish more of the album had been orchestral versions of existing tracks (and no, I'm not counting the orchestral version of "Be Bop Tango," oy). The album finishes with a GREAT rendition of "G-Spot Tornado," which retains all of the melodic and rhythmic wackiness of the Jazz from Hell version, but naturally with a more "organic" sound. There are also a couple of skits, and they're basically ok, though in a lot of ways they kinda strike me as tired imitations of the sorts of things the original Mothers might have done on stage back in the day. "Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America" features a woman reciting a poem over various orchestral parts, and while part of me wants to laud Zappa for bringing back his social satire side here, I can't help but think that it seems kinda amateurish. "Welcome to the United States" is a little better: it features somebody reading (in a really, um, "affected" vocal manner) excerpts from the questionnaire that needs to be filled out for immigrants to enter the US, while the orchestra plays relevant backing music for the question. So for instance, when a question is asked about drugs, there's psychedelic harp music: when a question is asked about having lived in Nazi Germany, part of a German march is played: and when a question is asked about terrorist activities, "Louie Louie" is played. A lot of the humor seems a little too forced for my tastes, but I like the track more than not.

I understand that a lot of Zappa fans will really enjoy this, and I can understand it. There are a lot of people who are well-versed in late 20th-century classical music, with a good grip on the various developments of the genre and of what separates the good from the bad, and those people may get a kick out of this (then again, maybe this is bad within the genre of avant-garde classical: how would I know?). As is, I'm happy to dig out the few obvious nuggets, and let the rest just kind of exist in its own sphere without my having to deal with it. A major Zappa fan will probably want this, but the rest of us probably won't.

PS: I feel it's important to add a brief addendum to this review, to clear up any confusion. I do not believe that it's a bad thing for classical music to continue to progress and morph into new and strange forms, and I certainly do not begrudge people the right to enjoy classical music as it continues to evolve. I also certainly do not have anything against having to expend some effort to stretch my sensibilities in order to enjoy music that I might not otherwise enjoy. That said, there's only so much work I'm willing to put into enjoying a musical piece before I decide there are better ways for me to spend my relaxation and leisure time. Since the time and work I put into such efforts is pretty substantial (it's not infinite, but I feel like I do pretty danged well), I do not feel much remorse in not enjoying music that I cannot enjoy after these efforts. This is what I mean when I say that music, past a certain point, tries my patience more than I'd like.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#449591) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 19, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album should be everybody's introduction to Frank Zappa's orchestral music. Better executed than the two London Symphony Orchestra album, and with short pieces, easier to digest than "The Perfect Stranger", this album it's an excellent way to discover Zappa's classical side.

It's good to know that in this concert, recorded in the final months of the master's life, he was able to have his music performed by a group of musician who "got it", who understood all of the different aspects of Zappa's music, even (maybe especially) the humor.

The music is a combination of Zappa classics ("Uncle Meat" seems to be quite well represented) and new works. The Ensemble Modern is up to the task of playing whatever Frank threw their way. In fact, the addition of the difficult G-Spot Tornado was the group's idea. And the pull it off marvelously.

The humor is most evident in Welcome To The United States where the music backs up a reading of a perticularly insipid U.S. Customs form. But those who know Zappa's music understand that some of the notes he throws into his compositions are meant to draw a laugh as well.

The sound quality is very good, although at many times the percussion section (important to Zappa's music) is too far in the background.

I suspect Frank was generally pleased with this performance.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#465777) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 20, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars An excellent little oasis in the desert of Zappa's post-One Size Fits All career, The Yellow Shark sees Zappa at long, long last finding an ensemble willing and able to play his orchestral pieces in the spirit they were intended. Miles away from the timid and lifeless performances recorded on the likes of 200 Motels or London Symphony Orchestra, here we are treated to an ensemble used to difficult and avant-garde work tackling some of Zappa's most challenging pieces. The inclusion of some spoken-word strangeness - which the performers deliver with gusto - proves that the Ensemble Modern share enough of Zappa's sense of humour to pull off his musical gags with gusto.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#609211) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars This is one of the first Zappa CDs I was able to acquire and was a real disappointment as it did not feature any of his complexity or humour, at least not in the vein of his reputable catalogue during the "You Can't do that on Stage" oeuvre of work. In any case there is still the Zappa classic material here such as Uncle Meat, The Girl in the Magnesium Dress, Ruth Is Sleeping, Dog Breath Variations and Pound for a Brown.

The music is rather subdued and laid back in many portions and Zappa works best when he spirals wildly out of control and veers into zany territory. The orchestral approach is really designed for die hard Zappaholics. It is too classical for its own good and really tedious in places. There are a few good tracks and the wind section is beautiful, but I rarely return to this album, he is capable of so much more. This is really a collectors album.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#714335) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 07, 2012

5 stars this is "THE" farewell record; he recorded it a few months before he died. Being this a postumous record, it shows the gradiosity of a man that crossed almost every boundary from rock, jazz, fusion, prog, punk, avant-garde and modern classic, to contemporary music. Being such a master derives ... (read more)

Report this review (#30011) | Posted by | Thursday, May 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The second best (after Civilisation Phase III) of Frank's Avant Garde musical outings. A must for modern classical enthusiasts, and a great introduction to avant garde music for the rest. There is lots of rock music here too but arranged in a classic idiom which throws an unexpected light on these e ... (read more)

Report this review (#30009) | Posted by | Tuesday, April 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "The Yellow Shark"