THE YELLOW SHARK

Frank Zappa The Yellow Shark album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Live, released in 1993

1. Intro (1:43)
2. Dog Breath Variations (2:07)
3. Uncle Meat (3:24)
4. Outrage at Valdez (3:27)
5. Times Beach II (7:31)
6. III Revised (1:45)
7. The Girl in the Magnesium Dress (4:33)
8. Be-Bop Tango (3:43)
9. Ruth Is Sleeping (5:56)
10. None of the Above (2:17)
11. Pentagon Afternoon (2:28)
12. Questi Cazzi Di Piccione (3:03)
13. Times Beach III (4:26)
14. Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America, 1992 (2:52)
15. Welcome to the United States (6:39)
16. Pound for a Brown (2:12)
17. Exercise No. 4 (1:37)
18. Get Whitey (7:00)
19. G-Spot Tornado (5:17)

Search FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark lyrics

- Hilary Sturt / violin, voices
- Friedemann Dähn / violoncello
- Thomas Fichter / contrabass, Fichter electric upright bass

Rykodisc #RCD 40560

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark Music

Weasels Ripped My FleshWeasels Ripped My Flesh
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Apostrophe (')Apostrophe (')
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Vinyl$24.98
Lemme Take You To The Beach CD - (Surf instrumental covers of Frank Zappa tunes) US $6.64 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 'MUSIC FROM THE PERFECT STRANGER' US 12" SINGLE PROMO COPY US $33.20 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Frank Zappa "Hot Rats" 1969 US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h
On Broadway: Covers of Invention - (Frank Zappa tribute) CD US $6.64 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Roxy & Elsewhere 2013 2x 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $38.94 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Frank Zappa - Guitar ZAPPA 6 UK 2LP 1st Press 1988 US $33.20 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore ZAPPA 7 UK 2LP 1st Press 1988 US $24.89 Buy It Now 2h 26m
JETHRO TULL Split THE MOTHERS 7" EP Eat That Question FRANK ZAPPA 45 1973 US $36.55 [13 bids]
Frank Zappa LP - Joe's Garage Act 1 - Mint US $33.22 [0 bids]
The Mothers Frank Zappa Weasels Ripped my Flesh 1st Bizzarre ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $44.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 3 - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.02 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Frank Zappa, Waka/Jawaka, CD, Ryko RCD 10516, great jazzy, George Duke US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
New Zappa on the Crappa! Frank Zappa Poster US $10.36 Buy It Now 2h 58m
New Zappa on the Crappa! Frank Zappa Poster US $20.33 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Frank Zappa Big Mother Is Watching You LP US $66.43 Buy It Now 3h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION - 4 x VERY RARE FRENCH LANGUAGE BOOKS US $58.13 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION - 3 x VERY RARE GERMAN LANGUAGE BOOKS US $49.82 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Freak Out 2012 Remastered Double CD NEW US $18.19 Buy It Now 3h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA CAPTAIN BEEFHEART NM- Bongo Fury PROMO DS-2234 Discreet Mothers US $76.46 Buy It Now 3h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA - SWISS CHEESE - 3 CD US $78.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Beat The Boots 10 Lp VinylBox Set / T-shirt/ badge US $650.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 'THE MAN FROM UTOPIA' DUTCH IMPORT LP US $33.20 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS OF INVENTION 'FILLMORE EAST JUNE 1971' UK LP A1/B1 US $33.20 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA / THE MOTHERS 'JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A.' UK LP MATRIX A1/B1 US $41.50 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS OF INVENTION 'BURNT WEENY SANDWICH' UK LP US $49.81 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA 'YOU CANT DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE' UK DOUBLE LP US $33.20 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS 'ABSOLUTELY FREE' 1967 GERMAN IMPORT LP VERVE 710006 US $83.02 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA 'STUDIO TAN' UK LP DISCREET A1/B1 MATRIX US $28.22 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA 'SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH' UK LP US $24.89 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Frank Zappa / Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere 1st 1A/1B 1974 Press ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 4h 37m
FRANK ZAPPA~ SELF TITLED~RARE PICTURE RECORD US $55.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Frank Zappa Strictly Commercial Best of 12" LP US $25.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa's Old Masters Box One 12" LP US $17.50 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS OF INVENTION FILLMORE EAST JUNE 71 LP US $19.93 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA**DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW/DOWN IN DE DEW (7 INCH)**VINYL BRAND NEW US $7.25 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - Sweden 1967 Beat the Boots CD RARE!!! US $17.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa : Burnt Weeny Sandwich CD (2006) US $9.98 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Rock FRANK ZAPPA Tinseltown Rebellion 2LPs NM! CBS-88516 HOLLAND EB150 US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
MFSL 24K Gold CD Frank Zappa We're Only in It for the Money Sealed Pristine US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA THING FISH CASSETTE RARE! BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS US $6.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA lot of 7 CD's! US $36.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - Freak Out! - CD Mothers of Invention Debut - Ryko FZ Dweezil list US $14.45 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Frank Zappa / Cheap Thrills - CD (1998) US $4.57 Buy It Now 6h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA : ONLY COVER SPAIN PRESS 1973 VERY RARE NEAR MINT US $35.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Original Chunga's Revenge Bizarre Reprise Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Original You Are What You Is Promotional Copy Barking Pumpkin US $24.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa andThe Mothers of Invention Original One Size Fits All Discreet US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Joe's Garage Act 1 Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Rock Promo 45 FRANK ZAPPA Don't Wanna Get Drafted on Zappa (Promo) US $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
EX !! Mothers Of Invention/Mother's Day/1973 Metro 2x LP Set/German/Frank Zappa US $54.80 Buy It Now 7h 16m
FRANK ZAPPA LP LOT "FREAK OUT!" "BURNT WEENY SANDWICH" WITH POSTER US $75.00 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Zappa in New York by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $7.68 [1 bids]
EX/EX- & Bonus 7" !! Frank Zappa/Ship Arriving Too Late To Save/1982 CBS LP US $54.80 Buy It Now 7h 21m
FRANK ZAPPA : BOBBY BROWN +1 RARE SPAIN 45 RPM 1979 CBS RARE US $19.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA'S 200 MOTELS OST 2 x LP SET G/F SLEEVE 1971 EXC US $31.54 Buy It Now 7h 32m
FRANK ZAPPA " I AM THE CLOUDS " - TOUR 88 ---- 8 CD SET US $75.00 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc PONTY Plays The Music Of Frank ZAPPA, World Pacific 1970 LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Tinseltown Rebellion, Frank Zappa, Good Original recording remastered US $11.41 Buy It Now 7h 47m
RUBEN AND THE JETS:(w/Frank Zappa)If I Could Be Your Love Again-U.S.7" MercuryDJ US $48.98 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Frank ZAPPA Studio Tan RARE 1978 DJ LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Läther by FRANK ZAPPA 3 CDS RARE ADVANCE PRESSING US $67.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
FRANK ZAPPA LATER WORKS 7 JAPAN MINI LP CD BOX SET + DOES HUMOUR PROMO BOX OOP US $275.00 Buy It Now 8h
Frank Zappa- Assault On New York 3xLP box set Live US $130.00 Buy It Now 8h 16m
Mega Rare 10th Annual ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction Promo CD Frank Zappa US $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Frank Zappa The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life 2 CDs Barking Pumpkin US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA CANADIAN PRESS LP L@@K CDN JOE'S GARAGE ACT 2 - 3 CANADA US $10.01 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Chunga's Revenge Stereo LP Bizarre Reprise Records MS 2030 WEA Music US $1.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Studio Tan CD Zappa Records Barking Pumpkin Records US $1.00 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - ZAPPA IN NEW YORK - UK 1ST PRESS A1/B1/C1/D1 1977 VINYL LP US $9.13 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa:YCDTOSA Sampler Promo Sleeve Only (Japan Mini-LP mothers invention Q US $38.00 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Frank Zappa: Jazz from Hell Promo Sleeve Only (Japan Mini-LP mothers invention Q US $28.50 Buy It Now 9h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS (OVER-NITE SENSATION) REPRISE MS4 2149 QUADRADISC US $8.29 [0 bids]
MOTHERS - FILLMORE EAST JUNE 1971 (FRANK ZAPPA) Inner sleeve MS2042 Bizarre VG+ US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
FRANK ZAPPA -zoot allures 1976 TURKISH PRESSING LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats -NEW PICTURE LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 9h 54m
THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE BY FRANK ZAPPA (BARKING PUMPKIN 1991) US $19.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa The Mothers Fillmore East June 1971 LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - STUDIO TAN NEW CD US $20.84 Buy It Now 10h 2m
VG+ Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa Freak Out MONO Verve V-5005-2 w/ Hot Spots US $67.49 Buy It Now 10h 6m
MOTHERS OF INVENTION- FREAK OUT RARE 1966 ORIG MONO STEREO PSYCH FRANK ZAPPA US $24.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 10x8 inch lab-printed glossy photo F7_1356 US $4.98 Buy It Now 10h 15m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTH - WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH [FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS - NEW CD US $9.14 Buy It Now 10h 19m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHES - Over-Nite Sensation (VG++/NM-) 1973 G/F Discreet US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Frank Zappa - Mother's of Invention Poster. US $83.04 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Broadway The Hardway Cd US $3.30 [0 bids]
Hat by Mike Keneally Cd Frank Zappa US $11.79 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Frank Zappa Chunga's Revenge Vinyl LP Gatefold 1970 MS 2030 Bizarre VG+ US $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 36m
FRANK ZAPPA 10x8 inch lab-printed glossy photo F6_1200 US $4.98 Buy It Now 10h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA- TOUR 88 - I AM THE CLOUDS - BOX 8 CD US $199.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage Act I - 8-TRACK TAPE Tested! New Pad. Plays Great! US $5.00 [1 bids]
Lemme Take You To The Beach CD - (Surf instrumental covers of Frank Zappa tunes) US $5.81 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD Apostrophe'/Overnite Sensation - Frank Zappa OUT OF PRINT TWOFER US $7.00 [16 bids]
THE MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST-JUNE 1971 LP FRANK ZAPPA REPRISE RECORDS K-44150 US $8.29 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa 10x8 inch lab-printed glossy promo press photo F2_363 US $4.98 Buy It Now 10h 52m
The Mothers "Over nite sensation" Frank Zappa Prog Rock Psych Disc Reet LP US $14.50 Buy It Now 10h 58m
The Yellow Shark by Frank Zappa (CD, Mar-2003, Ryko Distribution) classic rock US $0.99 [0 bids]
11h
Frank Zappa - Just Another Band From L.A. - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 11h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA BURNT WEENY SANDWICH (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) BRAND NEW US $59.99 Buy It Now 11h 6m
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS ~ JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM LA ~ CLEAN PLAYING PSYCH ROCK LP US $5.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA The Yellow Shark reviews

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team
4 stars Wonderful. Absolutely great. This is the definnative album for Zappa's "classical" music. Emsomble Modern does a wonderful job of playing, weather it is new or old. This is a very fitting farewell to Frank Zappa. Everything here is great. Food Gathering...is very great. Wonderful job by who ever did the speaking. Welcome To The United States is very funny. Peter did a fantastic job speaking. The best by far, on this album, would be G-Spot Tornado. Stunning! I am amazed how well they pulled off this song. Absolutly fantastic! All in all a wonderful album, desevered to be listen to by all.

Send comments to Man With Hat (BETA) | Report this review (#30013) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 28, 2005

3 stars I wished I liked orchestral/classical music more. This being Frank's last studio album before he died is special, it's just not my favourite style of music that's all. It does seem like he fulfilled a dream in doing these live concerts over in Europe.The best performances were taken and used on this album called "The Yellow Shark". A thick booklet comes with it detailing how this came about, the process, the concerts, interviews with those involved, pictures and lots more. I was surprised at some of the people who are thanked, different actors and famous people that I guess were friends and acquaintances of Frank and Gail Zappa. People like Jack Nicholson, Beverly D'Angelo, Yoko Ono, Tom & Roseanne Arnold, Matt Groening, Larry Flynt, Stephen Hawking, Johnny Carson, Dennis Miller and lots more including their kids Diva, Ahmet, Dweezil and Moon.

I really enjoyed what I thought was a similar album to this called "The Perfect Stranger" which it turns out has more in common with UNIVERS ZERO than "The Yellow Shark". I love how enthusiastic the audiences are during these live shows. And in the intro Frank tells them "Now lets get serious ladies and gentlemen..." and ends his opening dialogue by saying "If you feel like throwing underpants on the stage throw them over here". The first 3 tracks are orchestral, almost sounding like a movie soundtrack actually. Then we get to "Times Beach II" which I like a lot more as it is slower chamber music with different sounds coming and going.

More of this music on "The Girl In The Magnesium Dress" which was actually on "The Perfect Stranger". "Ruth Is Sleeping" might be my favourite as it is darker and almost UNIVERS ZERO-like to begin with. We get a ton of violin on both "III Revised" and "None Of The Above". More modern chamber music on "Questi Cazzi Di Piccione" and "Times Beach III". Both are highlights for me. The next 4 songs I can take them or leave them. There are some skits involved on a couple of them. Then we get to "Get Whitey" a cool,slow moving piece. The final song is "G-Spot Tornado" which was taken from the "Jazz From Hell" album. It's an uptempo and fun track.

This album isn't high on my enjoyment scale, but it is high on my admiration scale. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#161896) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008

Review by darkshade
COLLABORATOR Jazz Rock/Fusion Team
5 stars This review is based on the 2012 reissue.

The Yellow Shark is such a great album. It's breathtaking at times, and doesn't get all tense, scary, and nervous like the London Symphony Orchestra album does (which is a totally different beast of an album anyway). Frank comes out and tells the audience to "get serious, folks", even though he says to throw any panties off to the side of the stage.

The Zappa classics that get a makeover here are outstanding, and rival their earlier versions. I'm especially keen on the Dog Breath Variations and the Uncle Meat theme, because they translate so well to an orchestra. The sound is also outstanding, not only one of the best sounding Frank Zappa albums, but also one of the best sounding albums from anyone that I've ever heard.

Most of the tunes get a HUGE applause from the crowd, especially the final G-Spot Tornado, which itself is a remarkable rendition of a tune Zappa originally wrote for the Synclavier machine on Jazz From Hell, never meant to be played by actual musicians, but the crowd roars with cheers and applause, and apparently went on for over 20 minutes, and the fade out with the crowd still going crazy is a testament to that. I don't know if I've ever heard a live recording from any band or artist where the applause lasted so long that they eventually had to fade it out, as we do get to hear a good chunk of it. Another synclavier song that made it here is The Girl In The Magnesium Dress, which sounds cool because I think Frank wrote it with just his hands going up and down the keys of the synclavier keyboard, yet it got transcribed and played by this wonderful orchestra.

As for the new songs, they are also excellent. Some of them are minimalistic, as that seems to be the direction Zappa was going, but I believe the direction he took in the early 90s was, in part, due to his diagnosis of having cancer. Still, songs like Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America, 1992 and Welcome To The United States are some of the coolest pieces of music Frank wrote. The former brings some humor which was missing from a few tracks prior. The latter is cool because a form given to people entering the U.S. is recited over the music, which itself is very dramatic, and in classic Zappa form, reacts to what is being said by the performer. It reminds me of something Captain Beefheart would do, like on The Grand Wazoo from The Lost Episodes (not to be confused with The Grand Wazoo from the album of the same name; The Lost Episodes one is a completely different song).

The case it comes in is beautiful, and the pictures in the giant booklet are great; some are funny, some are just plain cool, but there's one that makes me sad, it's the last one, with some of the guys Frank worked with around that time, like producers and mixers, and they're sitting around him and everyone is smiling, but Frank clearly hadn't shaved for months, meaning the pic was taken not too long before he passed. He knew his time was coming.

I always put The Yellow Shark off because I wasn't ready for it and other orchestral albums because I just wanted the rock and fusion stuff back when I first got into his music. And then when the reissues started coming out and I started collecting them, I still held off on getting The Yellow Shark (and Civilization Phaze III still), but now I realize that was a major error on my part, and I've been keeping myself from listening to one of Zappa's last great works, and it really is one of the best projects he ever put together. If only he had even a few more months to cherish it. He always said he made music for himself, and if others liked it, cool. But us fans have had more time to digest those last couple of releases than he ever did, even though he wrote the music. Point is, The Yellow Shark is magnificent, and I only wish I got it sooner, but now I can listen to it whenever I want.

Don't hold off on getting this album if you are a Zappa fan already, this is an essential piece of music. I wouldn't recommend this to a Zappa newbie, but maybe after you've got 10 or so albums, maybe this would be a good intro to his orchestral work, though I'd argue that any of them are good to start with. This one, however, does have the best sound, with the best intentions from the performers. Masterpiece of prog, classical, of music.

Send comments to darkshade (BETA) | Report this review (#329276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 22, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars The circumstances surrounding this album are such that not really liking it is enough to make me feel a little guilty. This was the last Zappa album before his unfortunate passing, and it largely fulfilled one of his lifelong wishes: to have his "serious" music played by an orchestra that was up to the task and that would take his work seriously. I don't know a lot about Ensemble Modern, but I know that they have a good reputation amongst fans of late 20th-century classical, and they were probably the ideal choice to handle this music. In short, everything about this album exudes Big Symbolic Power (especially with Zappa conducting a small number of tracks), and a proper narrative of Zappa's career and life would consider this the definitive argument in favor of Zappa, the serious composer.

It's too bad, then, that I just don't like it much. I like a lot of classical music, and I even like a few composers who did much of their work in the 20th century. There's just a certain point, though, somewhere out beyond the borders of Bartok (whom I love) and Schoenberg (about whom I'm somewhat ambivalent), where my patience for stretching the boundaries of music wears thin. I remember reading a fascinating article in which the author responded to a claim by a defender of modern classical: the defender's statement was, essentially, that it was hypocritical for people to complain about not knowing what to expect when listening to a new classical piece, when people had no problem going to watch a soccer game without knowing in advance how it would turn out. The author's counter (I'm paraphrasing and rewriting parts of it, as I don't have the original link) was that this was a false comparison: somebody watching a soccer game might not know how the game would finish, but at least they'd know the rules of the game. They would know that the game would be played with one ball, not three: they'd know the goal of the game was to knock the ball into the opposing net: and they would know that the score might end 1-0, or 4-2, or possibly 8-1, but that it would not end with a score of Q to 7 or thereabouts. I simply cannot understand the kind of music that dominates much of this release, and given how relatively easy my assimilation into the world of classical music has been otherwise, I can't help but think that this isn't entirely my fault. Does my lack of ability to figure out what Frank and the Ensemble are doing on much of this album reveal a gaping hole in my artistic sensibilities? It probably does, and yet, I just don't feel a great urge to correct that deficiency, or like I'm missing out on that much. I can generally tolerate much of this as background music, and I do find it funny that "Girl in the Magnesium Dress" has been given a full orchestral treatement (making this an orchestral version of somebody running fingers randomly up and down a synthesizer), but enjoyment is something else entirely.

The album has some stretches that break the tedium in a decent way, though. There are some very nice renditions of various Uncle Meat tracks ("Dog Breath Variations," "Uncle Meat," "Pound for a Brown") that make me wish more of the album had been orchestral versions of existing tracks (and no, I'm not counting the orchestral version of "Be Bop Tango," oy). The album finishes with a GREAT rendition of "G-Spot Tornado," which retains all of the melodic and rhythmic wackiness of the Jazz from Hell version, but naturally with a more "organic" sound. There are also a couple of skits, and they're basically ok, though in a lot of ways they kinda strike me as tired imitations of the sorts of things the original Mothers might have done on stage back in the day. "Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America" features a woman reciting a poem over various orchestral parts, and while part of me wants to laud Zappa for bringing back his social satire side here, I can't help but think that it seems kinda amateurish. "Welcome to the United States" is a little better: it features somebody reading (in a really, um, "affected" vocal manner) excerpts from the questionnaire that needs to be filled out for immigrants to enter the US, while the orchestra plays relevant backing music for the question. So for instance, when a question is asked about drugs, there's psychedelic harp music: when a question is asked about having lived in Nazi Germany, part of a German march is played: and when a question is asked about terrorist activities, "Louie Louie" is played. A lot of the humor seems a little too forced for my tastes, but I like the track more than not.

I understand that a lot of Zappa fans will really enjoy this, and I can understand it. There are a lot of people who are well-versed in late 20th-century classical music, with a good grip on the various developments of the genre and of what separates the good from the bad, and those people may get a kick out of this (then again, maybe this is bad within the genre of avant-garde classical: how would I know?). As is, I'm happy to dig out the few obvious nuggets, and let the rest just kind of exist in its own sphere without my having to deal with it. A major Zappa fan will probably want this, but the rest of us probably won't.

PS: I feel it's important to add a brief addendum to this review, to clear up any confusion. I do not believe that it's a bad thing for classical music to continue to progress and morph into new and strange forms, and I certainly do not begrudge people the right to enjoy classical music as it continues to evolve. I also certainly do not have anything against having to expend some effort to stretch my sensibilities in order to enjoy music that I might not otherwise enjoy. That said, there's only so much work I'm willing to put into enjoying a musical piece before I decide there are better ways for me to spend my relaxation and leisure time. Since the time and work I put into such efforts is pretty substantial (it's not infinite, but I feel like I do pretty danged well), I do not feel much remorse in not enjoying music that I cannot enjoy after these efforts. This is what I mean when I say that music, past a certain point, tries my patience more than I'd like.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#449591) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 19, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album should be everybody's introduction to Frank Zappa's orchestral music. Better executed than the two London Symphony Orchestra album, and with short pieces, easier to digest than "The Perfect Stranger", this album it's an excellent way to discover Zappa's classical side.

It's good to know that in this concert, recorded in the final months of the master's life, he was able to have his music performed by a group of musician who "got it", who understood all of the different aspects of Zappa's music, even (maybe especially) the humor.

The music is a combination of Zappa classics ("Uncle Meat" seems to be quite well represented) and new works. The Ensemble Modern is up to the task of playing whatever Frank threw their way. In fact, the addition of the difficult G-Spot Tornado was the group's idea. And the pull it off marvelously.

The humor is most evident in Welcome To The United States where the music backs up a reading of a perticularly insipid U.S. Customs form. But those who know Zappa's music understand that some of the notes he throws into his compositions are meant to draw a laugh as well.

The sound quality is very good, although at many times the percussion section (important to Zappa's music) is too far in the background.

I suspect Frank was generally pleased with this performance.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#465777) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 20, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars An excellent little oasis in the desert of Zappa's post-One Size Fits All career, The Yellow Shark sees Zappa at long, long last finding an ensemble willing and able to play his orchestral pieces in the spirit they were intended. Miles away from the timid and lifeless performances recorded on the likes of 200 Motels or London Symphony Orchestra, here we are treated to an ensemble used to difficult and avant-garde work tackling some of Zappa's most challenging pieces. The inclusion of some spoken-word strangeness - which the performers deliver with gusto - proves that the Ensemble Modern share enough of Zappa's sense of humour to pull off his musical gags with gusto.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#609211) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars This is one of the first Zappa CDs I was able to acquire and was a real disappointment as it did not feature any of his complexity or humour, at least not in the vein of his reputable catalogue during the "You Can't do that on Stage" oeuvre of work. In any case there is still the Zappa classic material here such as Uncle Meat, The Girl in the Magnesium Dress, Ruth Is Sleeping, Dog Breath Variations and Pound for a Brown.

The music is rather subdued and laid back in many portions and Zappa works best when he spirals wildly out of control and veers into zany territory. The orchestral approach is really designed for die hard Zappaholics. It is too classical for its own good and really tedious in places. There are a few good tracks and the wind section is beautiful, but I rarely return to this album, he is capable of so much more. This is really a collectors album.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#714335) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 07, 2012

5 stars this is "THE" farewell record; he recorded it a few months before he died. Being this a postumous record, it shows the gradiosity of a man that crossed almost every boundary from rock, jazz, fusion, prog, punk, avant-garde and modern classic, to contemporary music. Being such a master derives ... (read more)

Report this review (#30011) | Posted by | Thursday, May 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The second best (after Civilisation Phase III) of Frank's Avant Garde musical outings. A must for modern classical enthusiasts, and a great introduction to avant garde music for the rest. There is lots of rock music here too but arranged in a classic idiom which throws an unexpected light on these e ... (read more)

Report this review (#30009) | Posted by | Tuesday, April 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "The Yellow Shark"