THREESOME NO. 1

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Threesome No. 1 album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2002

1. Hungry Freaks, Daddy (3:29)
2. I Ain't Got No Heart (2:35)
3. Who Are the Brain Police? (3:33)
4. Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder (3:40)
5. Motherly Love (2:45)
6. How Could I Be Such a Fool? (2:13)
7. Wowie Zowie (2:53)
8. You Didn't Try to Call Me (3:18)
9. Any Way the Wind Blows (2:55)
10. I'm Not Satisfied (2:38)
11. You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here (3:38)
12. Trouble Every Day (5:50)
13. Help, I'm a Rock (4:43)
14. It Can't Happen Here (3:56)
15. The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (12:17)
16. Plastic People (3:42)
17. The Duke of Prunes (2:13)
18. Amnesia Vivace (1:01)
19. The Duke Regains His Chops (1:52)
20. Call Any Vegetable (2:15)
21. Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young... (7:00)
22. Soft-Sell Conclusion (1:40)
23. Big Leg Emma [*] (2:31)
24. Why Don'tcha Do Me Right? [*] (2:37)
25. America Drinks (1:53)
26. Status Back Baby (2:54)
27. Uncle Bernie's Farm (2:10)
28. Son of Suzy Creamcheese (1:34)
29. Brown Shoes Don't Make It (7:30)
30. America Drinks and Goes Home (2:45)
31. Are You Hung Up? (1:24)
32. Who Needs the Peace Corps? (2:34)
33. Concentration Moon (2:22)
34. Mom and Dad (2:16)
35. Telephone Conversation (0:48)
36. Bow Tie Daddy (0:33)
37. Harry, You're a Beast (1:21)
38. What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body? (1:03)
39. Absolutely Free (3:24)
40. Flower Punk (3:03)
41. Hot Poop (0:26)
42. Nasal Retentive Calliope Music (2:02)
43. Let's Make the Water Turn Black (2:01)
44. The Idiot Bastard Son (3:18)
45. Lonely Little Girl (1:09)
46. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance (1:32)
47. What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?... (1:02)
48. Mother People (2:26)
49. The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny (6:25)

Total Time:
Threesome, Vol. 1 contains the first three albums by the "Mothers of Invention": "Freak Out!", "Absolutely Free", and "We're Only in It for the Money".

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 tabs

- Name / guitars
- Name / drums

Rykodisc #RCD 40582

Thanks to for the addition
and to Joren for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 Music

Hot RatsHot Rats
Freak OutFreak Out
Apostrophe (')Apostrophe (')
Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti
Double CD
Absolutely FreeAbsolutely Free
Zappa Records 2012
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE acts II & III DOUBLE ALBUM VINYL L.P. US $38.26 Buy It Now 30m 59s
MOTHERMANIA BEST OF THE MOTHERS FRANK ZAPPA ULTRA RARE ISRAEL ISRAELI LP HEBREW US $59.99 Buy It Now 32m 15s
FRANK ZAPPA - YELLOW SHARK NEW CD US $29.10 Buy It Now 35m 8s
FRANK ZAPPA - TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME NEW DVD US $20.30 Buy It Now 48m 23s
Frank Zappa Joes Garage Act 1 Vinyl Record Pysche US $6.00 [0 bids]
We're Only in It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy by Frank Zappa (CD, 1986, Ryko... US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA / The Mothers Of Invention "Freak Out" ~ Original 1987 USA Ryco CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 1h 42m
FRANK ZAPPA YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS + 3 SEALED 12 INCH PICTURE DISC 780 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (CD, 201 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $8.99 [0 bids]
MOTHERS OF INVENTION Why Don'tcha Do Me Right RSD vinyl 7" NEW Frank Zappa US $16.29 Buy It Now 2h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA I'm The Slime UK RSD green vinyl 7" NEW/UNPLAYED US $16.29 Buy It Now 2h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA JAZZ FROM HELL - USA CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart - Set of 2 Posters Size 84.1cm x 59.4cm US $22.82 Buy It Now 3h 34m
(KEITH-Adventures of Keith)-fascinating magnum opus/vocalist Frank Zappa-E4-LP US $16.98 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage- Acts II & III- Still Sealed US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes APOSTROPHE US $22.82 Buy It Now 4h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes TOILET US $22.82 Buy It Now 4h 49m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS Just Another Band from L.A. CD RykoDisc RCD 10515 US $6.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA APOSTROPHE! DISCREET WARNER BROTHERS DS 175 VINYL LP US $5.00 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA WAKA/JAWAKA HOT RATS REPRISE -BIZARRE 2094 VINYL LP US $20.00 [0 bids]
'Tis The Season To Be Jelly by Mothers Of Invention and Frank Zappa - FAST POST US $16.29 Buy It Now 6h 49m
Frank Zappa 45 "Valley Girl / You Are What You Is" US $4.49 Buy It Now 7h
FRANK ZAPPA Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch CD NEW US $20.10 Buy It Now 7h 57m
FRANK ZAPPA You Are What You Is CD BRAND NEW US $20.09 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention In The 1960's DVD NEW! US $13.75 Buy It Now 8h 6m
Son of Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1999, Ryko Distribution) US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers Of Invention,Uncle Meat -2024 ,frank zappa,bizarre US $28.00 Buy It Now 8h 24m
The Mothers Of Invention,Just Another Band from L.A ,frank zappa,bizarre,ms2075 US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts I,II,III - Cassettes - Excellent Condition US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Frank Zappa / Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere 1st 1A/1B 1974 Press ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 8h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST-JUNE 1971 RARE ORIG DIFF ISRAELI LP 1st US $120.00 Buy It Now 8h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA Mystery Disc 35-Track Rarities CD Captain Beefheart US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $3.99 [0 bids]
You Are What You Is - Frank Zappa Remastered CD( RCD-40165 Rykodisc) US $4.99 [0 bids]
9h
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS OF INVENTION We're Only in It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 45 I DONT WANNA GET DRAFTED RECORD 7" US $4.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Jean Luc Ponty King Kong Near Mint Rare LP US $58.98 [0 bids]
7"-Single GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - Can You Do It (1976) FRANK ZAPPA / GERMANY PS US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 32m
7"-Single GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Can You Do It (1976) Prod.by FRANK ZAPPA / GERMANY US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Frank Zappa- Mothermania US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Frank Zappa NM Vinyl 45(1982)-Valley Girl/You Are What You Is US $7.00 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Frank Zappa/ David Bowie What's it all about 7" Atlanta radio spot promo only US $4.25 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $39.13 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Frank Zappa, Rare Meat Rhino Records RNEP 604 Del Fi Records 1983 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-Lumpy Gravy-Verve 8741-STEREO US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
1981 Frank Zappa Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar Some More LP US $18.99 [0 bids]
GEORGE DUKE "SHINE ON" / "POSITIVE ENERGY" 7" 45 FRANK ZAPPA MEMBER JAZZ R US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Frank Zappa-Cruising With Ruben & The Jets-Verve 5055-STEREO MOTHERS US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 13m
2 CD FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACTS I II & III US $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA Sheik Yerbouti JAPAN 1st Press CD 1988 CP32-5661 3200yen US $49.00 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention-Mothermania-Verve 5068-STEREO US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Frank Zappa/Mothers Live Fillmore East 1971 ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 11h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF JA) US $7.34 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Frank Zappa- The History and Collected Improvisations of Frank Zappa US $999.00 [0 bids]
US $1,599.00 Buy It Now
RADIO FREE Cult Cuts CD RYKO/BMG Devo FRANK ZAPPA Residents YOKO ONO US $4.88 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA, Zoot Allures, Vintage Vinyl LP Disc RARE 1976 US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE (') NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong In Music? [CD New] US $12.13 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Frank Zappa - Yellow Shark [CD New] US $18.32 Buy It Now 12h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA - MAN FROM UTOPIA NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Frank Zappa: Drowning Witch: Toxic Shock Part 1 1981 Ozz-Good MGP-3001 LP EXC US $125.00 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Frank Zappa: Things Wayne Newton Never Told You 1980 Foolish P-3002 LP Shrink US $150.00 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Frank Zappa (Rycodisc CD Playtested Jack Bruce) Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation US $16.88 Buy It Now 12h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA, FILLMORE EAST '71 - GERMAN LP REP 44150 US $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA - LATHER NEW CD US $41.18 Buy It Now 12h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA - MAKE A JAZZ NOISE HERE NEW CD US $28.36 Buy It Now 12h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA LP Hot Rats 1969 Bizarre Captain Beefheart mothers of invention US $17.01 [6 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - UNCLE MEAT NEW CD US $28.36 Buy It Now 13h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA - ONE SIZE FITS ALL NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 13h 2m
Frank Zappa Records Lot 4 Albums LPS Vinyl Hot Rats Mother of Invention Bizarre US $25.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa -Why Doncha Do Me Right 7" vinyl 45 Black Friday Record Store Day US $12.55 Buy It Now 13h 7m
FRANK ZAPPA SHEIK YERBOUTI DOUBLE ALBUM 1979 ~ US $18.01 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Pink Floyd Yes Camel Frank Zappa Progressive Rock Jazz Fusion Free Download US $13.60 Buy It Now 13h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA - TINSEL TOWN REBELLION NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Beat the Boots 2 Frank Zappa 8 CD Complete Beret Swiss Fire NEW NEW US $999.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
MOTHERS OF INVENTION FRANK ZAPPA Fillmore East June 1971 BIZARRE record vinyl LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Alice Stuart Full Time Woman Frank Zappa Mothers Of Invention US $12.99 Buy It Now 13h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA IN NEW YORK -1st PRESS 2 LP G/F EXCELLENT 1977 US $29.99 [0 bids]
THE ROOTS OF FRANK ZAPPA [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $5.78 Buy It Now 13h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA-SHIP ARRIVING TO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH 1st GREEK PRESS US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures / TH Cassette US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers of Prevention 12" vinyl LP '85 rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 4m
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Magic Band Dbl LP Trout Mask Replica 1969 Straight frank zappa US $64.00 [8 bids]
Zappa in New York - Frank Zappa (LP) K 69204 US $32.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-IN NEW YORK 1977 PICTURE INNER SLEEVES, GREAT SHAPE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention-Freak Out!-Verve 5005-2LP STEREO US $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 24m
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka [Zappa Records CD ZAP 10] US $1.61 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention UNCLE MEAT 180g NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $36.99 Buy It Now 14h 47m
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels on MCA Records MCA24183 Double LP US $22.99 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Frank Zappa - Sleep Dirt on Discreet Records DSK2292 CUT-OUT US $26.99 Buy It Now 14h 57m
FRANK ZAPPA/ Joe's Garage Double Album, Gatefold, No Barcode, VG US $13.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
FRANK ZAPPA "Hot Rats" NM Tan Steamboat Gatefold LP Psych Prog Captain Beefheart US $49.95 Buy It Now 15h 11m
Frank Zappa Mothers Of Invention Weasels Ripped My Flesh Vinyl LP AudiophileUSA US $120.00 Buy It Now 15h 12m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 reviews

Review by UMUR
5 stars Threesome No. 1 is a boxset which includes the three first Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention albums Freak Out!, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money ( Lumpy Gravy was strictly speaking a Frank Zappa solo album). Three groundbreaking and essential avant garde rock albums from one of my favorite artists.

Freak Out!:

There are so many things to say about the debut album from Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention that I will probably forget some ( so please excuse me in advance). I have been a Zappa fan for the last 15 years and collected CDīs and original LPīs ( fans will know that there is a big difference between the CD versions and the original LPs) with anything Zappa related in that time, read biographies and I had the pleasure of attending the Yellow Shark performance in Copenhagen, Denmark with Ensemple Modern. I unfortunately never saw Zappa live as he died shortly after my interest began ( Iīll regret that ītill the day that I die), but I had the pleasure of attending Zappa plays Zappa a couple of years ago with Dwezil Zappa, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Steve Vai, Terro Bozzio and a couple of more of the old Zappa family. Well I guess I just want to emphazise how big a fan I am, so youīll understand that my reviews of Zappa might be a little coloured.

The debut album by Mothers of Invention is a rather strange collection of songs. Freak Out! consist mainly of fifties rhythm and blues songs with some exceptions. The rhythm and blues songs have pretty funny lyrics. Like a line in the song Wowie Zowie where Zappa sings: I don īt even care if your Dadīs a he. These songs are pretty cheesy in the music department but saved by the funny lyrics. When you know Zappaīs love for fifties rhythm and blues songs you īll know that he on one hand loved to compose and play these songs but on the other hand despised them for being simple and cheesy. I think his ambivalence shines through.

There are some songs that stand out from the rest for being more thought provoking and maybe of more interrest for the common prog head than the fifties rhythm and blues songs. Iīd say Hungry Freaks, Daddy?, Who Are The Brain Police? , Trouble Every Day , Help I'm A Rock and The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet are different from the rest of the songs. Hungry Freaks, Daddy? and Trouble Every Day are still pretty much rhythm and blues songs but the lyrics are very strong and even political. Who Are the Brain Police? is a really strange song. Still rock but very experimental and very prog in my eyes. Help Iīm A Rock has a krautrock rythm and is basically very repetitive improvation. In The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet Zappa shows his collage mixing skill for the first time, something he would use extensively in his future production.

This album is from 1966 and I am sure there was nothing like it back then, this is really strange as half of the album is basically rooted in the 1950es and the rest is kind of futuristic. Pretty bizarre and I know thatīs the way Zappa liked it. He wanted to make people think when they listened to music and not just consume. Personally I like everything on this album except for Help Iīm a Rock and The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet which is not to my liking. I know this is what makes this album prog rock, but I never liked the noisy part of Mothers of Invention, I always preferred the songs with intelligent lyrics, and there are fortunately plenty of them in Zappaīs discography. Some might say there is an overweight of the silly ones, but I think even the silly ones tells us something.

Itīs not a complete masterpiece but a sure 4 star album. What a brilliant start to an outstanding musical career.

Absolutely Free:

The second album from Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention was Absolutely Free. This is an even greater album than their debut Freak Out ! Which I think is an excellent album. Absolutely Free could be called a concept album even though more concepts blend together.

Plastic People starts the album of, but is in fact more in the same concept as the songs on side 2 of the LP version. This is political and social satire and itīs so well written both in the lyric department and in the music department. The rest of side 1 of the LP version is the Duke of Prunes concept. All the songs seque into each other and the lyrics are strangely enough about Prunes and Cabbage and our general relationship with vegetables ? Itīs so hilarious and a great contrast to the political and social satire presented on the other songs on the album.

On the Rykodisc CD version that I have there are two extra tracks just after the Duke of Prunes story and I canīt believe these songs were ommited from the original LP as Both Big Leg Emma and especially Why Donītcha do Me Right? are great songs that I wouldnīt be without. They are pretty basic rythmīnīblues songs with teenage lyrics but as always Zappa pulls it off in grand fashion.

Side 2 has some really great songs that ranges from the political Uncle Bernieīs Farm and Brown Shoes Donīt Make It to the more social satirical songs Status Back Baby and Son of Suzy Creamchease ( basically Teenage problems). The most exciting song here must be Brown Shoes Donīt Make it which is a great satire over american political and social life. Brown Shoes Donīt Make it has many sections of music and musical styles incorporated as it was typical for the Mothers of Invention.

This is one of my favorite Zappa albums from the Mothers of Invention days and a one of a kind album for sure. This is a masterpiece of progressive music. Put it into any genre you like, this is just great music. 5 stars is a matter of course with this album.

We're Only In It For The Money:

This is one of the best known Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention albums. Itīs a favorite of mine in his discography and if you havenīt listened to Zappa before this is one of the albums you should start with. This is one of the most progressive yet accessible rock albums from the sixties that I have heard. Strange sounds and tape recordings of conversations spliced together mixed with pop/ rock songs with memorable and even beautiful melodies. This is topped of by some of the most provocative and clever lyrics written for a rock album ever. This is simply put one of my all time favorite albums. Itīs fantastic! no less.

The lyrics are funny, provocative and clever as I mentioned above. A line like: Whatīs the Ugliest Part Of Your Body, some Say Your Nose, some Say Your Toes, But I think itīs Your Mind, sung in fifties style doo voop is just fantastic and the sexual explicit lyrics in Harry Youīre a Beast are so hilarious and I can only say tuché to the american womanhood. There is a kind of backwards sounding vocal part which is just beautiful to the twisted mind ( I am one). It seems like censorship noise but Iīm sure Zappa did this on purpose and to great effect I might add. The song starts with the vocal line: Iīm gonna tell you the way it is, and Iīm not gonna be kind or easy, your whole attitude sticks I say, and the Life you lead is completely empty. Iīll just let that stand there for a while. This was of course very provocative in 1968 as it is the american womanhood Zappa is talking about, but as bitingly sarcastic and provocative Zappa could be, he could be just as socially aware. Songs like Concentration Moon and Mom & Dad proves this fully. Thoughful and clever lyrics.

A lot of the lyrics are about what Zappa saw as fake hippy ideals, societyīs expectations to young people and Zappaīs favorite subject hypocricy and bigotry.

The music is for the most part little pop/ rock songs with lots of twists, there are a few examples of the more noisy avant garde side of The Mothers Of Invention in Nasal Retentive Calliope Music and The Chrome Plated Megaphone Of Destiny but the rest of the album is in a more conventional format. All the songs seque together though and the album ends up being a kind of concept album. There are also strong classical influences on the album even though there are no classical music parts as such.

The incarnation of The Mothers of Invention who played on various parts of this album was perhaps the best lineup they ever had. Frank Zappa on Vocals and Guitar, Roy Estrada on Vocals ( The high pitched notes) and Bass, two drummers in Billy Mundi and Jimmy Carl Black. Jimmy Carl Black also adds vocals, but they are mostly spoken. Don Preston on keyboards and the classical trained Ian Underwood on winds and keyboards/ Piano, Euclid James `Motorhead` Sherwood on winds and finally Bunk Gardner on winds. All very talented musicians who could play almost anything.

The production is worth a whole review for itself as it is fantastic and innovative. Frank Zappa was not only an outstanding musician but also a brilliant producer.

It seems I canīt praise this album enough, but Iīm sure you get the picture, without me going on about the many qualities this album have. All I want to say here in my conclusion is that this is a milestone album in prog rock and in Zappaīs discography and it deserves 5 stars more than any other album in prog archives.

Conclusion:

The idea to put these three albums out together is great and fully deserves a 5 star rating. I canīt think of anything that makes me more happy than these albums. To have them all in a boxset format is really great.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#186283) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 18, 2008

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Threesome No. 1"