THREESOME NO. 1

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Threesome No. 1 album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2002

1. Hungry Freaks, Daddy (3:29)
2. I Ain't Got No Heart (2:35)
3. Who Are the Brain Police? (3:33)
4. Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder (3:40)
5. Motherly Love (2:45)
6. How Could I Be Such a Fool? (2:13)
7. Wowie Zowie (2:53)
8. You Didn't Try to Call Me (3:18)
9. Any Way the Wind Blows (2:55)
10. I'm Not Satisfied (2:38)
11. You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here (3:38)
12. Trouble Every Day (5:50)
13. Help, I'm a Rock (4:43)
14. It Can't Happen Here (3:56)
15. The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (12:17)
16. Plastic People (3:42)
17. The Duke of Prunes (2:13)
18. Amnesia Vivace (1:01)
19. The Duke Regains His Chops (1:52)
20. Call Any Vegetable (2:15)
21. Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young... (7:00)
22. Soft-Sell Conclusion (1:40)
23. Big Leg Emma [*] (2:31)
24. Why Don'tcha Do Me Right? [*] (2:37)
25. America Drinks (1:53)
26. Status Back Baby (2:54)
27. Uncle Bernie's Farm (2:10)
28. Son of Suzy Creamcheese (1:34)
29. Brown Shoes Don't Make It (7:30)
30. America Drinks and Goes Home (2:45)
31. Are You Hung Up? (1:24)
32. Who Needs the Peace Corps? (2:34)
33. Concentration Moon (2:22)
34. Mom and Dad (2:16)
35. Telephone Conversation (0:48)
36. Bow Tie Daddy (0:33)
37. Harry, You're a Beast (1:21)
38. What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body? (1:03)
39. Absolutely Free (3:24)
40. Flower Punk (3:03)
41. Hot Poop (0:26)
42. Nasal Retentive Calliope Music (2:02)
43. Let's Make the Water Turn Black (2:01)
44. The Idiot Bastard Son (3:18)
45. Lonely Little Girl (1:09)
46. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance (1:32)
47. What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?... (1:02)
48. Mother People (2:26)
49. The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny (6:25)

Total Time:
Threesome, Vol. 1 contains the first three albums by the "Mothers of Invention": "Freak Out!", "Absolutely Free", and "We're Only in It for the Money".

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 tabs

- Name / guitars
- Name / drums

Rykodisc #RCD 40582

Thanks to for the addition
and to Joren for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 Music

LatherLather
Zappa In New YorkZappa In New York
Freak OutFreak Out
FRANK ZAPPA apostrophe(') JAPAN MINI LP CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA - "DRAGONMASTER" (RARE SEALED 2 LP SET!) tmoq YELLOW US $149.90 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DAVID BOWIE GROUNDHOGS FRANK ZAPPA Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1973 US $20.17 Buy It Now 2h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA Brassiere Conspiracy Vintage Music Press article/cutting 1974 US $20.17 Buy It Now 2h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA 'SHEIK YERBOUTI' US IMPORT DOUBLE LP US $37.80 Buy It Now 2h 57m
FRANK ZAPPA - DUB ROOM SPECIAL [PA] - NEW CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 3h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA Interview Vintage Music Press article/cutting 1970 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA Godmother Interview Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1973 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA DONOVAN ROY HARPER FAMILY Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1970 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA over Europe Interview Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1972 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 54m
FRANK ZAPPA "Zoot Allures" Warner Bros BS 2970 1st Press Palms Label VG+++ US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
RUBEN & THE JETS Charlena GROUP FRANK ZAPPA GARAGE ROCK PROMO DJ 45 RPM LISTEN US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers of Prevention NM+ With Barking Pumpkin Order Form US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA - 24 Carat LP Gold Dis - HOT RATS US $235.33 Buy It Now 4h 55m
BONGO FURY (Frank Zappa / The Mothers of Invention + Captain Beefheart) RYKO CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Orig Frank Zappa-ROAD LADIES AMBER HUE/Mann &Weil-The Last Blues Song on QCA Rec US $11.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Them Or Us 2LP Israeli PROMO RARE US $89.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA CD - SON OF CHEEP THRILLS US $10.07 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Frank Zappa "Waka/Jawaka-Hot Rats" Oiginal LP Bizzarre US $23.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
FRANK ZAPPA "The Mothers" OVER-Nite Sensation LP Vinyl Excellent Condition US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Freak Out! by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Joe's Garage: Act 1, 2 & 3 by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko... US $35.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Frank Zappa I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Near Mint Condition 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Frank Zappa Beat The Boots 10 Lp VinylBox Set / T-shirt/ badge SEALED ! US $199.00 [2 bids]
ROCK & ROLL Hall Fame Tenth Induction cd Frank Zappa Neil Young Janis Joplin US $189.95 [0 bids]
Overnite Sensation Frank Zappa and The Mothers Quadradisc LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
FRANK ZAPPA ZOOT ALLURES CD 1995 RYKO USA COME WITH ORIGINAL GREEN JEWEL CASE US $13.29 Buy It Now 8h
Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention : Uncle Meat (2CDs) (2006) US $9.13 Buy It Now 8h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA 7" 45 "DANCIN' FOOL" b/w "BABY SNAKES" 1979 Near Mint US $1.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa -- Mystery Disc (Ryko CD) US $9.50 [0 bids]
Chunga's Revenge Frank Zappa CD Gas for everyone from Z Ryko Edition US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Anyway the Wind Blows Frank Zappa 2 CD Ike Willis Arthur Barrow Vinny Colaiuta US $99.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Frank Zappa, I'm The Slime/Montana #0842 7" Record Store Day RSD 2013 US $11.95 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA LP HOT RATS A1 B1 REPRISE GATEFOLD LP STEAMBOAT LABEL RARE VINYL US $58.81 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti RARE NM LP Record Album US $11.49 [2 bids]
9h
FRANK ZAPPA "Studio Tan" Discreet 2291 1st Press NM US $11.99 Buy It Now 9h
FRANK ZAPPA / PIERRE BOULEZ " Boulez Conducts Zappa" Angel 38170 1st Press NM LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Frank Zappa Barking Pumpkin Digital Gratification - Francesco Zappa NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong In Music? NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Frank Zappa - Broadway The Hard Way NEW CD US $16.41 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Frank Zappa - As An Am 1981 / 82 Live LP EX US $25.20 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 200 Motels LP Vinyl US S-9956 US $29.99 [0 bids]
You Are What You Is - Frank Zappa 1995 Remastered Near Mint CD Free Shipping US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Frank Zappa The Man From Utopia, japan import Vinyl w booklet US $40.00 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Fibonaccis - Tumor Slow Beautiful Sex Vinyl Record Frank Zappa Talking Heads US $12.95 Buy It Now 10h
Fibonaccis - Fi-Bo-Na-Chez Vinyl Record Frank Zappa Talking Heads SEALED US $19.95 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Frank Zappa's 200 Motels LP Vinyl NM- 1971 W/ Book Mothers Of Invention Sdrtk. US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Figures On A Beach ? Swimming Vinyl Record Frank Zappa Talking Heads SEALED US $35.95 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Frank Zappa "Broadway The Hard Way" with Insert & Inner Sleeve EX US $22.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Frank Zappa "You Are What You Is" with Insert & Inner Sleeve EX US $16.99 Buy It Now 10h 27m
FRANK ZAPPA: ZAPPED ~ Original 1970 BIZARRE Various Artists Lp US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Them or Us by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $4.95 [0 bids]
Guitar by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $9.95 [1 bids]
Weasels Ripped My Flesh by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (CD,... US $7.95 [0 bids]
Thing Fish Frank Zappa 2 CD Ryko Made in Japan Steve Vai Johnny "Guitar" Watson US $54.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA Sheil Yerbouti 2LP RARE ROBERT LUDWIG RL MASTERDISK US $9.99 [0 bids]
Roxy & Elsewhere by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (CD, May-1995, Ryko... US $9.99 [0 bids]
One Size Fits All by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (CD, May-1995, Ryko... US $7.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA HOT RATS LP GATEFOLD RS6356 US $41.23 Buy It Now 10h 56m
RARE Fleetwood Mac,Rolling Stones,Frank Zappa "The Force" WLP LP Record VG++/NM- US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Frank Zappa Apostrophe Discreet Canada Original St Alphonzos Yellow Snow US $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Frank Zappa The Mothers "Over-Nite Sensation" 12"LP Discreet EX/NM "Montana" US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA The Grand Wazoo Bizarre/Reprise 0598 1972 US $14.99 [0 bids]
Have I Offended Someone? Frank Zappa CD Ryko Gas for everyone from Z US $23.99 Buy It Now 11h 44m
Rare Meat - Early Works of Frank Zappa CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 12h 18m
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia. Rare Dutch Pressing VG+ US $25.69 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Frank Zappa: Son of Cheep Thrills [ECD] ~ Very Good CD (1999, Ryko (USA)) Cheap US $10.02 Buy It Now 12h 31m
STEVE VAI Greatest Hits 2CD Digipak BOX Best Photo Frank Zappa Whitesnake SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
FRANK ZAPPA YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS PW2 37537 US $10.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Hot Rats vinyl LP unplayed PICTURE DISC US $49.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
FRANK ZAPPA ZOOT ALLURES LP RARE PROMOTIONAL record vinyl US $27.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa The Mothers ?- Fillmore East - June 1971 LP Bizarre Records MS 2042 US $12.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION FREAK OUT! VERVE 2LPS NM GREAT COPY US $20.00 [8 bids]
THE NOVA CONVENTION WILLIAM BURROUGHS PHILIP GLASS FRANK ZAPPA JOHN CAGE 2LPS US $49.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA SHEIK YERBOUTI ZAPPA RECORDS 2LPS LUDWIG MASTEREING GREAT US $9.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa & The Mothers?- Just Another Band From L.A. LP Reprise ?- MS 2075 US $12.00 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-Lot of 2 magazine pictures US $5.03 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Frank Zappa 1970 Bizarre lp US $11.00 Buy It Now 14h
Frank Zappa 45 I'm The Slime Montana Special 2013 Edition RSD Un-Played BPR1222 US $9.97 Buy It Now 14h 6m
FRANK ZAPPA Zoot Allures 8 track tape 1976 WB Original US $13.69 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Frank Zappa 1972 Bizarre lp US $21.00 Buy It Now 14h 9m
Frank Zappa - Zappa En La Radio (Zappa On The Radio) CD NEW RARE OOP US $27.66 Buy It Now 14h 22m
NEW & Sealed! Frank Zappa "Overnight Sensation" LP Vinyl Record (Free Shipping) US $28.98 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Cruising With Ruben & The Jets Frank Zappa Audio CD US $25.97 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Uncle Meat Frank Zappa Audio CD US $20.62 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Baby Snakes Frank Zappa Audio CD US $25.97 Buy It Now 14h 28m
London Symphony Orchestra Frank Zappa CD US $29.03 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Jazz From Hell Frank Zappa Audio CD US $25.97 Buy It Now 14h 28m
Broadway The Hard Way Frank Zappa Audio CD US $25.97 Buy It Now 14h 28m
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 6 Frank Zappa Audio CD US $22.15 Buy It Now 14h 28m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 1 reviews

Review by UMUR
5 stars Threesome No. 1 is a boxset which includes the three first Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention albums Freak Out!, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money ( Lumpy Gravy was strictly speaking a Frank Zappa solo album). Three groundbreaking and essential avant garde rock albums from one of my favorite artists.

Freak Out!:

There are so many things to say about the debut album from Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention that I will probably forget some ( so please excuse me in advance). I have been a Zappa fan for the last 15 years and collected CDīs and original LPīs ( fans will know that there is a big difference between the CD versions and the original LPs) with anything Zappa related in that time, read biographies and I had the pleasure of attending the Yellow Shark performance in Copenhagen, Denmark with Ensemple Modern. I unfortunately never saw Zappa live as he died shortly after my interest began ( Iīll regret that ītill the day that I die), but I had the pleasure of attending Zappa plays Zappa a couple of years ago with Dwezil Zappa, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Steve Vai, Terro Bozzio and a couple of more of the old Zappa family. Well I guess I just want to emphazise how big a fan I am, so youīll understand that my reviews of Zappa might be a little coloured.

The debut album by Mothers of Invention is a rather strange collection of songs. Freak Out! consist mainly of fifties rhythm and blues songs with some exceptions. The rhythm and blues songs have pretty funny lyrics. Like a line in the song Wowie Zowie where Zappa sings: I don īt even care if your Dadīs a he. These songs are pretty cheesy in the music department but saved by the funny lyrics. When you know Zappaīs love for fifties rhythm and blues songs you īll know that he on one hand loved to compose and play these songs but on the other hand despised them for being simple and cheesy. I think his ambivalence shines through.

There are some songs that stand out from the rest for being more thought provoking and maybe of more interrest for the common prog head than the fifties rhythm and blues songs. Iīd say Hungry Freaks, Daddy?, Who Are The Brain Police? , Trouble Every Day , Help I'm A Rock and The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet are different from the rest of the songs. Hungry Freaks, Daddy? and Trouble Every Day are still pretty much rhythm and blues songs but the lyrics are very strong and even political. Who Are the Brain Police? is a really strange song. Still rock but very experimental and very prog in my eyes. Help Iīm A Rock has a krautrock rythm and is basically very repetitive improvation. In The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet Zappa shows his collage mixing skill for the first time, something he would use extensively in his future production.

This album is from 1966 and I am sure there was nothing like it back then, this is really strange as half of the album is basically rooted in the 1950es and the rest is kind of futuristic. Pretty bizarre and I know thatīs the way Zappa liked it. He wanted to make people think when they listened to music and not just consume. Personally I like everything on this album except for Help Iīm a Rock and The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet which is not to my liking. I know this is what makes this album prog rock, but I never liked the noisy part of Mothers of Invention, I always preferred the songs with intelligent lyrics, and there are fortunately plenty of them in Zappaīs discography. Some might say there is an overweight of the silly ones, but I think even the silly ones tells us something.

Itīs not a complete masterpiece but a sure 4 star album. What a brilliant start to an outstanding musical career.

Absolutely Free:

The second album from Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention was Absolutely Free. This is an even greater album than their debut Freak Out ! Which I think is an excellent album. Absolutely Free could be called a concept album even though more concepts blend together.

Plastic People starts the album of, but is in fact more in the same concept as the songs on side 2 of the LP version. This is political and social satire and itīs so well written both in the lyric department and in the music department. The rest of side 1 of the LP version is the Duke of Prunes concept. All the songs seque into each other and the lyrics are strangely enough about Prunes and Cabbage and our general relationship with vegetables ? Itīs so hilarious and a great contrast to the political and social satire presented on the other songs on the album.

On the Rykodisc CD version that I have there are two extra tracks just after the Duke of Prunes story and I canīt believe these songs were ommited from the original LP as Both Big Leg Emma and especially Why Donītcha do Me Right? are great songs that I wouldnīt be without. They are pretty basic rythmīnīblues songs with teenage lyrics but as always Zappa pulls it off in grand fashion.

Side 2 has some really great songs that ranges from the political Uncle Bernieīs Farm and Brown Shoes Donīt Make It to the more social satirical songs Status Back Baby and Son of Suzy Creamchease ( basically Teenage problems). The most exciting song here must be Brown Shoes Donīt Make it which is a great satire over american political and social life. Brown Shoes Donīt Make it has many sections of music and musical styles incorporated as it was typical for the Mothers of Invention.

This is one of my favorite Zappa albums from the Mothers of Invention days and a one of a kind album for sure. This is a masterpiece of progressive music. Put it into any genre you like, this is just great music. 5 stars is a matter of course with this album.

We're Only In It For The Money:

This is one of the best known Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention albums. Itīs a favorite of mine in his discography and if you havenīt listened to Zappa before this is one of the albums you should start with. This is one of the most progressive yet accessible rock albums from the sixties that I have heard. Strange sounds and tape recordings of conversations spliced together mixed with pop/ rock songs with memorable and even beautiful melodies. This is topped of by some of the most provocative and clever lyrics written for a rock album ever. This is simply put one of my all time favorite albums. Itīs fantastic! no less.

The lyrics are funny, provocative and clever as I mentioned above. A line like: Whatīs the Ugliest Part Of Your Body, some Say Your Nose, some Say Your Toes, But I think itīs Your Mind, sung in fifties style doo voop is just fantastic and the sexual explicit lyrics in Harry Youīre a Beast are so hilarious and I can only say tuché to the american womanhood. There is a kind of backwards sounding vocal part which is just beautiful to the twisted mind ( I am one). It seems like censorship noise but Iīm sure Zappa did this on purpose and to great effect I might add. The song starts with the vocal line: Iīm gonna tell you the way it is, and Iīm not gonna be kind or easy, your whole attitude sticks I say, and the Life you lead is completely empty. Iīll just let that stand there for a while. This was of course very provocative in 1968 as it is the american womanhood Zappa is talking about, but as bitingly sarcastic and provocative Zappa could be, he could be just as socially aware. Songs like Concentration Moon and Mom & Dad proves this fully. Thoughful and clever lyrics.

A lot of the lyrics are about what Zappa saw as fake hippy ideals, societyīs expectations to young people and Zappaīs favorite subject hypocricy and bigotry.

The music is for the most part little pop/ rock songs with lots of twists, there are a few examples of the more noisy avant garde side of The Mothers Of Invention in Nasal Retentive Calliope Music and The Chrome Plated Megaphone Of Destiny but the rest of the album is in a more conventional format. All the songs seque together though and the album ends up being a kind of concept album. There are also strong classical influences on the album even though there are no classical music parts as such.

The incarnation of The Mothers of Invention who played on various parts of this album was perhaps the best lineup they ever had. Frank Zappa on Vocals and Guitar, Roy Estrada on Vocals ( The high pitched notes) and Bass, two drummers in Billy Mundi and Jimmy Carl Black. Jimmy Carl Black also adds vocals, but they are mostly spoken. Don Preston on keyboards and the classical trained Ian Underwood on winds and keyboards/ Piano, Euclid James `Motorhead` Sherwood on winds and finally Bunk Gardner on winds. All very talented musicians who could play almost anything.

The production is worth a whole review for itself as it is fantastic and innovative. Frank Zappa was not only an outstanding musician but also a brilliant producer.

It seems I canīt praise this album enough, but Iīm sure you get the picture, without me going on about the many qualities this album have. All I want to say here in my conclusion is that this is a milestone album in prog rock and in Zappaīs discography and it deserves 5 stars more than any other album in prog archives.

Conclusion:

The idea to put these three albums out together is great and fully deserves a 5 star rating. I canīt think of anything that makes me more happy than these albums. To have them all in a boxset format is really great.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#186283) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 18, 2008

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Threesome No. 1"