THREESOME NO. 2

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Threesome No. 2 album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2002

1. Peaches en Regalia (3:38)
2. Willie the Pimp (9:16)
3. Son of Mr. Green Genes (9:00)
4. Little Umbrellas (3:04)
5. The Gumbo Variations (16:56)
6. It Must Be a Camel (5:15)
7. Big Swifty (17:22)
8. Your Mouth (3:12)
9. It Might Just Be a One-Shot Deal (4:16)
10. Waka/Jawaka (11:18)
11. The Grand Wazoo (13:19)
12. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) (6:06)
13. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (2:57)
14. Eat That Question (6:42)
15. Blessed Relief (7:59)

Threesome #2 collects Frank's mostly-instrumental, jazz-inflected releases - the very influential "Hot Rats (1969)," Waka/Jawaka (1972)," and "The Grand Wazoo (also 1972)."

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 2 lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 2 tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar (acoustic), guitar, percussion, arranger, guitar (electric), sound effects, vocals, producer, octave bass
- George Duke / keyboards, piano (electric), vocals, tack piano, ring modulated keyboard
- Jean-Luc Ponty / violin
- Paul Humphrey / drums
- Don Preston / piano, mini moog
- Sal Marquez / trumpet, chimes, flugelhorn, vocals, brass
- Shuggie Otis / bass
- Jeff Simmons / vocals, Hawaiian guitar
- Aynsley Dunbar / drums, tambourine, washboard
- Mike Altschul / clarinet (bass), flute (bass), piccolo, sax (Baritone), sax (Tenor), woodwind
- Captain Beefheart / vocals
- Max Bennett / bass
- Billy Byers / trombone, horn (Baritone)
- Joanne Caldwell McNabb / woodwind
- Ron Selico / drums
- Ernie Tack / brass
- Ian Underwood / organ, clarinet, flute, piano, saxophone
- Ernie Watts / saxophone, woodwind
- Kenny Shoyer / trombone, horn (Baritone)

Rykodisc #RCD 40583

Thanks to for the addition
and to Joren for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 2 Music

Freak Jazz Movie Madness & Another MothersFreak Jazz Movie Madness & Another Mothers
Multiple Formats
Sexy Intellectual 2014
DVD$13.10
Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
Freak OutFreak Out
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 32m 7s
Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation [Vinyl New] US $23.09 Buy It Now 58m 37s
Frank Zappa Them Or Us LP US $32.07 Buy It Now 58m 38s
FRANK ZAPPA ROCK HALL OF FAME MINT STAMP STRIP PAIR US $14.02 Buy It Now 1h
THE HOLLYWOOD PERSUADERS Drums A Go Go FRANK ZAPPA GROUP GARAGE SOUL ROCK RECORD US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA MAN FROM UTOPIA RARE ISRAELI PRESS LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Knebworth : The Tubes, Frank Zappa & Peter Gabiel : Concert Programme (1978) US $15.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa, Waka/Jawaka, CD, Ryko RCD 10516, great jazzy, George Duke US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Frank Zappa The Mothers-Fillmore East - June 1971 CD NEW US $15.39 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Frank Zappa Valley Girl ,You Are What You Is US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA - JAZZ FROM HELL [014431054921] - NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 1h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA - FRANCESCO ZAPPA [014431054624] - NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 1h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA orchestral favorites JAPAN mini lp CD US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA - MYSTERY DISC [FRANK ZAPPA] [014431058028] - NEW CD US $26.98 Buy It Now 1h 51m
FRANK ZAPPA - ORCHESTRAL FAVORITES [014431052927] - NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 1h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA--Ship Ariving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch--Import LP w/EP US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
The Mothers Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation - 238502 US $18.31 Buy It Now 2h 8m
FRANK ZAPPA POSTER "LICENSED" BRAND NEW US $10.47 Buy It Now 2h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA _WAKA /JAWAKA_ VINYL LP RECORD_ MS 2094_REPRISE_Near Mint US $35.05 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Them or Us Japan Double Vinyl LP with OBI Gatefold US $89.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
FRANK ZAPPA Over-Nite Sensation CASSETTE TAPE Ryko Analogue RAC 10518 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-I Don't Wanna Get Drafted-Pink Floyd Picture Sleeves US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $33.59 Buy It Now 3h 22m
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $27.18 Buy It Now 3h 22m
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $19.16 Buy It Now 3h 22m
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $14.35 Buy It Now 3h 22m
? FRANK ZAPPA ? atheist / quote typography poster art print - A1 A2 A3 A4 #1 US $22.37 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 EU 2 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 EU 2 CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA Official Merchandise Product SEW-On-Patch New ZAPPA US $8.80 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Frank Zappa-Mothers of invention-weasels ripped my flesh -LP-RSLP2028-a2b1-1970 US $16.02 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Lp Zapped VG++ Disc w Captain Beefheart, Alice Cooper, the GTO's US $7.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Palmdale..Rare Live 2 CD Phoenix USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $94.59 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Frank Zappa Swiss Chees..Rare Live 3 CD Basel Switzerland 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $126.66 Buy It Now 5h
Frank Zappa I Wanna...Rare Live 2 CD East Lansing USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $94.59 Buy It Now 5h
Frank Zappa Two Cosmic...Rare Live 3 CD San Carlos USA 1974 Lim. Ed.Japan CD US $126.66 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Läther by FRANK ZAPPA 3 CDS RARE ADVANCE PRESSING US $79.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA : OVER-NIGHT SENSATION (MS2149) - RARITIES US $8.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 11 FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION LP RECORDS HOT RATS ZAPPED US $78.49 [13 bids]
PROMO LABEL / FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT I / WITH OBI NM MINT- SUPERB US $299.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Frank Zappa-Mothers of invention-studio tan -LP-k59210-1978-a1b1 US $16.02 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Man From Utopia Japan Mini LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 55m
King Kong - Jean-Luc Ponty Plays the Music of Frank Zappa Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia - 238662 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Frank Zappa - Them Or Us - 238702 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes - 238892 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion - 238622 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka - 238482 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Frank Zappa - Broadway The Hard Way - 238792 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong In Music? - 238742 US $18.31 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Frank Zappa - I Don't Wanna Get Drafted 7" promo single (CBS - 1980) US $12.81 [0 bids]
The Mothers Frank Zappa - Over-nite Sensation NEW CD US $15.65 Buy It Now 6h 32m
The Mothers Of Invention Freak Out Frank Zappa Verve Release 2LP Set NM US $85.00 Buy It Now 6h 40m
The Lost Episodes by Frank Zappa (CD, Nov-2012, Universal) US $10.03 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Frank Zappa nd the Mothers - We're Only In It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy US $5.00 [0 bids]
Guitar by Frank Zappa *New CD* US $12.28 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Riccardo Tanki Fassi - Plays Music Frank Zappa [CD New] US $28.81 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Frank Zappa - Freak Out! [Vinyl New] US $28.94 Buy It Now 6h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHER OF INVENTION ŦFREAK OUT!ŧ CASSETTE RARE RYKO RAC 10501 US $13.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
MOTHERS OF INVENTION Why Don'tcha Do Me Right RSD vinyl 7" NEW Frank Zappa US $16.02 Buy It Now 7h 14m
FRANK ZAPPA I'm The Slime UK RSD green vinyl 7" NEW/UNPLAYED US $16.02 Buy It Now 7h 14m
FRANK ZAPPA I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Original US 45 w/ Picture Sleeve US $7.00 Buy It Now 7h 21m
FRANK ZAPPA lumpy gravy UK LP 1972 reissue MOTHERS OF INVENTION US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 27m
FRANK ZAPPA - CHUNGA'S REVENGE 2001 JAPAN MINI LP CD US $40.07 Buy It Now 7h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA - HAVE I OFFENDED SOMEONE? [014431057724] - NEW CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 7h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA - SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH - VINYL 12" ALBUM US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Mothers Of Invention and Frank Zappa Weasels Ripped My Flesh cd US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA - LP 24 Carat Gold Disc - SHEIK YERBOUTI US $208.42 Buy It Now 8h
FRANK ZAPPA-"RETURN OF THE SON OF KILL UGLY RADIO" RARE 1996 U.S. RYKO PROMO CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Project Object Lp No Tmoq Mudshark Billy Dexter Band Psych Rock US $33.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA Return of the son Kill Ugly Radio 1996 USA CAREER SAMPLER PROMO CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA WILD MAN FISCHER AN EVENING WITH RARE '68 BIZARRE REPRISE NM 2 LP !! US $169.00 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Pink Floyd Yes Camel Frank Zappa Progressive Rock Jazz Fusion Free Download US $13.60 Buy It Now 8h 31m
FRANK ZAPPA-FRANCESCO 1984 BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS LP ST-74202 EXC. VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Have I Offended Someone? by Frank Zappa (CD, Nov-2012, Universal) US $9.88 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Frank Zappa- Roxy & Elsewhere US $9.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Waka Jawaka Hot Rats 8 4 Track Tape psych rock Mothers Invention US $24.00 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Frank Zappa- Roxy & Elsewhere US $7.00 [0 bids]
Finer Moments by Frank Zappa (CD, Dec-2012, 2 Discs, Zappa Records (USA)) US $16.55 Buy It Now 8h 51m
FRANK ZAPPA Them Or Us LP 74200 GATEFOLD VG+ VG+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Frank Zappa w Captain Beefheart - Bongo Fury (1989 Zappa Records) CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Frank Zappa "APOSTROPHE ! " 1974 Discreet Pressing LP. US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
THE MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST-JUNE 1971 LP FRANK ZAPPA REPRISE RECORDS K-44150 US $8.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT 1 - ZAPPA RECORD - SRZ-1-1603 - LP - EX - GATEFOLD US $13.00 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Frank Zappa [LP] Studio Tan *EX* [Discreet; DSK 2291] (1978) US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Jazz from Hell by Frank Zappa (CD, Oct-2012, Universal) US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 200 Motels Soundtrack LP VG+ VG+ Mothers Of Invention MCA 2-4183 US $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA/MOTHERS OF INVENTION**WHY DON'TCHA DO MY RIGHT? (7 INCH)**VINYL US $7.16 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Here it is, The Music Vol 1 RYKO, FRANK ZAPPA, JIMI HENDRIX, DEVO US $5.88 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Apostrophe'/Overnite Sensation by Frank Zappa RYKO RCD40025 LN US $18.89 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Frank Zappa - 20 Extraordinary Renditions CD US $12.02 Buy It Now 10h 14m
FRANK ZAPPA - WAX FLAGS - LIVE AT UCLA NEW YEARS EVE 1977 - RARE 2 RECORD SET! US $31.99 Buy It Now 10h 43m
FRANK ZAPPA-HOT RATS-ROCK LP on BIZARRE US $50.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA Chunga's revenge Rare French LP US $45.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Reuben And The Jets Lp White Label Promo Prod Frank zappa US $5.50 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA**MEETS THE MOTHERS OF PREVENTION**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All [CD New] US $10.37 Buy It Now 10h 49m
2 CD FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS PLAYGROUND PSYCHOTICS FATBOX W/ JOHN LENNON JAM US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
Frank Zappa -Chunga's Revenge -Bizarre Reprise MS 2030 31107 LP 1970 PSYCH US $18.49 Buy It Now 11h 17m
FRANK ZAPPA**LOST EPISODES**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 11h 24m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 2 ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Threesome No. 2 reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars Threesome No. 2 is a boxset that consists of Frank Zappaīs most jazz/ rock influenced albums Hot Rats, Waka/ Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. Hot Rats was released in 1969 while the other two were both released in 1972. This is a great chance for jazz/ rock fans to get to know Zappaīs most jazzy moments.

Hot Rats:

Hot Rats is being praised here on Prog Archives as being one of Frank Zappaīs finest moments, and it is certainly unique in Zappaīs discography. When I first started listening to Frank Zappa it was one of the albums I purchased first and I thought it was really good. Itīs been a couple of years since I last listened to Hot Rats though and after listening to it a couple of times before this review I can honestly say that itīs one of the Frank Zappa albums I will never really be fully content with. Hot Rats is Zappaīs first real solo album if you donīt count Lumpy Gravy which had lots of Mothers of Invention songs incorporated into the classical music and the strange dialogues that made up that album.

Hot Rats is a jazz/ rock fusion album with lots of soloing both from Frank Zappa himself on guitar, Ian underwood on winds and Sugar Cane Harris and Jean-Luc Ponty on violin. The music is generally good, but not outstanding. The only song here that I would classify as a masterpiece is Peaches en Regalia which is a very beautiful song with several intriguing themes. This song is not a vehicle for soloing as most of the other songs are. Instead it is beautifully arranged with lots of winds.

Willie the Pimp used to be a favorite of mine when I was younger, but today I think it is badly arranged a pretty sloppy played. Itīs always a joy to listen to Captain Beefheartīs voice but thatīs not the main focus in this song. The Willie the Pimp theme which both starts and ends the song is really just an excuse for Zappa to play a 6 minute long wah wah guitar solo that gets boring after 2. I know most people really enjoy his solo in Willie the Pimp but IMO his solo skills were much better later in his career when he started using the vibrato arm extensively and played on the edge of feedback most of the time. I find his later solo style to be much more rewarding than this early attempt. Well I guess itīs an aquired taste and my bitching aside I still think the solo in Willie the Pimp is pretty good allthough a bit too long.

Son of Mr. Green Genes uses the theme from the Mr. Green Genes song from The Mothers of Invention album Uncle Meat. The theme is of course played with a different instrumentation and itīs arranged a bit differently but stays true to the original in terms of notes played. Son of Mr. Green Genes is just another vehicle for a Frank Zappa guitar solo though and again I feel the solo is way too long and again the wah wah style Zappa played at the time isnīt as rewarding to me as his later efforts on the guitar.

Little Umbrelllas is a little jazzy tune which is allright but nothing special to me.

The Gumbo Variations with itīs 16:55 minutes is clearly the longest song here and the problem for me is that itīs one long vehicle for sax, violin and guitar soloes that seems to go on forever. The sax soloing is pretty jazzy and I donīt enjoy it one bit while the violin and guitar solo is a bit better even though 16:55 minutes of soloing is way too much for me when itīs not better than this. Again itīs allright but nothing more.

It Must Be A Camel is a pretty good little song too, but again nothing excellent.

The musicianship is very good and Iīm especially impressed with Ian Underwoodīs contributions to the songs. Ianīs multiinstrumentalist abilities are used to the full on Hot Rats. Ian Underwood is by the way the only Mother present on Hot Rats which gives the album a very different sound and mood compared the Mothers of Invention albums.

The production is very good considering this is 1969 and once again Zappa proves that he is a unique producer as well as being a composer and musician.

I must say Iīm a bit disappointed about Hot Rats especially after reading the many reviews with high ratings on Prog Archives but I guess I just donīt share the general opinion about the album. Peaches en Regalia of course is a very positive thing on an otherwise average album but itīs not enough to make Hot Rats a 4 star album though. Iīll give Hot Rats 3 stars as I donīt feel this is a 2 star album even though Iīm not that excited about it.

Waka/ Jawaka:

Waka/ Jawaka was the first album with new material Zappa released after his near fatal fall from the stage in late 1971. Zappa had clearly heard Miles Davis Bitches Brew and wanted to make a jazz rock album himself. Zappaīs Hot Rats album is of course a jazz rock album but with Waka/ Jawaka Zappa got to work with a small orchestra of brass players as well as former Mothers of Invention collegues George Duke, Don Preston, Jeff Simmons, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Underwood and new man Sal Marquez on trumpet, chimes, flugelhorn and vocals. There is a whole cast of other musicians playing on the album but Sal Marquez needs a special mention as he plays a very central role on Waka/ Jawaka.

The music on Waka/ Jawaka is when it comes the two long pieces Big Swifty ( 17:23 minutes) and the title track (11:18) jazz rock with occasional big band tendencies. Itīs in those two songs were treated with Sal Marquez great trumpet playing. Jazzy but often bordering avant garde. His solo in Big Swifty is actually a transcribed Frank Zappa guitar solo played on trumpet. It sounds great. Big Swifty is of a jam like nature even though there is a structure in the song while Waka/ Jawaka is the most orchestrated affair on the album. There is some really menacing dark moods in that song. Great moog solo from Don Preston.

The two short songs called Your Mouth and It Just Might be a One-Shot Deal are more like avant garde rock that weīre used to from Frank Zappa. Lots of different styles and sections in each song. Your Mouth is great and for the first time we hear female background singing in a Zappa song but itīs with It Just Might Be a One-Shot Deal that weīre treated with a Frank Zappa masterpiece. We have everything from avant garde to country pedal steel solos to blues and jazz rock in 4:16 minutes. Iīm sold. Note that this is the songs where we for the first time hear Frank Zappaīs new lower voice. His Larynx was damaged during his fall from stage and after his recovery his voice had dropped a third.

The musicianship is excellent and again I have to point out how great a musician Sal Marquez is. He contributes so many intriguing features to this album. But Zappaīs guitar playing is also worth mentioning as itīs unpredictable as always. He supports the music with some really challenging tricks here and there. A great performance.

The production is astonishing and I really enjoy the mix with all the layers in the music hearable.

I think Waka/ Jawaka was a groundbreaking release from Frank Zappa. He was obviously venturing into unknown territory with this one and as usual got away with it in style. Zappa would soon assemble a much bigger big band with which he would also tour and release an album called The Grand Wazoo which is much in the same vein as Waka/ Jawaka just a bit more elaborate. Personally I have always enjoyed Waka/ Jawaka more than The Grand Wazoo. I donīt nesseccarely think that Waka/ Jawaka is essential for all prog heads but for Zappa fans this is a must and Iīll rate Waka/ Jawaka 4 stars. For fans of jazz rock this one will probably ( at least partially) please you too.

The Grand Wazoo:

The Grand Wazoo is the sister album to Waka/ Jawaka and it was released in 1972 the same year as Waka/ Jawaka. The music on The Grand Wazoo is also in the same mostly instrumental jazz/ rock style. The original LP has a different tracklist than the CD version which means that For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) is placed as track number one on the original LP while it is number two on the CD version. Iīm not sure what the reason is for that, but I guess itīs because the title track which is the song For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch- Hikers) changed places with better represents the general style on the album than For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) which is a very different song from the rest. I own both the original LP and the CD version but Iīll review the CD version as itīs the one Iīve been listening to the most.

The title track starts the album and itīs a 13:20 minutes long jazz/ rock jam with lots of soloing from both guitar, keyboards and brass. There are arranged big band like parts in the song too.

For Calvin ( And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) is more in avant garde rock territory. Fans of Henry Cow would be pleased with this one. There are some eerie vocals and some great flute playing in the song and the part with singing is actually pretty psychadelic. The middle part of the song is in classical avant garde style. Very great challenging part. There is the typical Frank Zappa conceptual continuity in this song too. The avant garde part in the middle of the song is also a part of The Adventures of Greggery Peccary from Studio Tan.

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus is one of those silly Zappa songs that I just canīt help liking. It features some humorous vocal performances and some western salon piano parts. Lots of brass in this song too.

Eat That Question is a jazz/ Rock tune with a great opening hard rock riff. Some nice soloing going on in this song.

Blessed Relief is my least favorite on the album. Itīs in jazz/ rock territory but itīs more subtle and features a theme that sounds a bit too close to the theme from M.A.S.H.

The musicianship is excellent on this album and besides Frank Zappaīs great guitar playing there are also lots of brass and woodwinds throughout the album. One of the best performances on the album is Aynsley Dunbarīs drumming though. He is such a powerful drummer yet sophisticated enough to play the technical parts with ease.

The production is very well done. Warm and pleasant.

The Grand Wazoo and Waka/ Jawaka will always stand as two very different albums in Frank Zappaīs discography. You can call them his experiment with jazz/ rock with a big band sound. I think he succeeded very well. I prefer Waka/ Jawaka but The Grand Wazoo is also a great album and it deserves 4 stars even though I usually skip Blessed Relief.

Conclusion:

Hot Rats was never my favorite Frank Zappa album but I greatly enjoy both Waka/ Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. 4 stars is well deserved for this boxset.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#186330) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 19, 2008

5 stars There's no excuse. A bootleg that unites these three masterpieces can't get nothing but five stars. Surely this is the famous "best trilogy" of Zappa's golden years, so don't exhitate, and buy them, together or one by one, but don't miss them, they are simply NECESSARY. Starting from "Hot rats ... (read more)

Report this review (#122196) | Posted by paloz | Tuesday, May 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Without going into great detail, if you want what are arguably the three best Zappa albums, buy this. Frank made a lot of bad-to-average albums, but these are not anywhere near average. Individually Hot Rats gets 5 stars, Waka/Jawaka 4, and the Grand Wazoo 4.7, but together I'm going to be a l ... (read more)

Report this review (#89349) | Posted by Howard the Duck | Saturday, September 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This unbelievable box got three amazing jazz/prog/rock albums and i think you should have them right away, now in cheap price because of the box its a great buy. Hot Rats is Zappa masterpiece without any bad song and great sound. Waka/Jawaka is nice jazzy proggy rock effort and i like it a lot. ... (read more)

Report this review (#30028) | Posted by | Saturday, February 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Threesome No. 2"