YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 4

Good, but non-essential

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Live, released in 1991

Disc one
1. Little Rubber Girl (2:57)
2. Stick Together (2:04)
3. My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (3:20)
4. Willie the Pimp (2:07)
5. Montana (5:47)
6. Brown Moses (2:38)
7. The Evil Prince (7:13)
8. Approximate (1:49)
9. Love of My Life (1:58)
10. Let's Move to Cleveland (7:11)
11. You Call That Music? (4:07)
12. Pound for a Brown [Solos 1978] (6:30)
13. The Black Page [1984] (5:15)
14. Take Me Out to the Ball Game (3:02)
15. Filthy Habits (5:40)
16. The Torture Never Stops [Original Version] (9:15)

Disc two:
17. Church Chat (2:00)
18. Stevie's Spanking (10:51)
19. Outside Now (6:10)
20. Disco Boy (3:00)
21. Teen-Age Wind (1:54)
22. Truck Driver Divorce (4:47)
23. Florentine Pogen (5:10)
24. Tiny Sick Tears (4:30)
25. Smell My Beard (4:30)
26. The Booger Man (2:47)
27. Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy (6:28)
28. Are You Upset? (1:29)
29. Little Girl of Mine (1:41)
30. The Closer You Are (2:05)
31. Johnny Darling (0:52)
32. No, No Cherry (1:26)
33. The Man from Utopia Meets Mary Lou (1:16)
34. Mary Lou (2:14)

Search FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, vocals
- Steve Vai / guitar, vocals
- George Duke / keyboards, vocals
- Bruce Fowler / trombone
- Archie Shepp / sax (Tenor)
- Bobby Martin / keyboards, saxophone, vocals
- Arthur Barrow / bass, keyboards
- Captain Beefheart / harmonica, vocals
- Terry Bozzio / drums
- Napoleon Murphy Brock / saxophone, vocals
- Paul Carman / sax (Alto)
- Vinnie Colaiuta / drums
- Roy Estrada / bass, vocals
- Walt Fowler / trumpet, vocals
- Bunk Gardner / trumpet, sax (Tenor)
- Ralph Humphrey / drums
- David Logerman / drums
- Tommy Mars / keyboards, vocals
- Kurt McGettrick / sax (Baritone)
- Patrick O'Hearn / bass
- Dave Samuels / guitar, vocals (background)
- Motorhead Sherwood / sax (Baritone)
- Scott Thunes / bass
- Art Tripp / drums
- Ian Underwood / clarinet
- Ruth Underwood / percussion
- Denny Walley / vocals, slide guitar
- Ray White / guitar, vocals
- Albert Wing / sax (Tenor)
- Allan Zavod / keyboards
- Peter Wolf / keyboards, moog synthesizer, mini moog

Rykodisc #RCD 10567/68

and to Joren for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 Music

Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti
Roxy & ElsewhereRoxy & Elsewhere
Uncle MeatUncle Meat
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention-Freak Out!-Verve 5005-2LP STEREO US $39.99 Buy It Now 52m 35s
2 Frank Zappa / Mothers LP's - Apostrophe, Fillmore East June 1971 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention UNCLE MEAT 180g NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $36.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Frank Zappa : The Grand Wazoo CD (2006) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels on MCA Records MCA24183 Double LP US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Cheap Thrills [ECD] by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Frank Zappa - Sleep Dirt on Discreet Records DSK2292 CUT-OUT US $26.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
FRANK ZAPPA/ Joe's Garage Double Album, Gatefold, No Barcode, VG US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Frank Zappa Mothers Of Invention Weasels Ripped My Flesh Vinyl LP AudiophileUSA US $120.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACTS I, II, III- NM US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Frank Zappa : You CanT Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 5 (2CDs) (2006) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA**THE MAN FROM UTOPIA**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Frank Zappa-Waka Jawaka/Hot Rats WLP Promo LP w/Insert Near Mint US $98.98 [0 bids]
2h
Vintage 1971 LP Frank Zappa The Mothers Fillmore East - Psychedelic Vinyl Record US $18.27 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Frank Zappa | Lumpy Gravy | LP | UK press | Verve 2317-046 | Stereo | 1968 | VG+ US $54.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti 12" LP Rock Zappa Records SRZ-2-1501 US $8.99 [0 bids]
LEMME TAKE YOU TO THE BEACH Surf Bands Perform Music of Frank Zappa cd 2004 US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage Act I Vinyl Record LP - 1979 ZAPPA US $17.44 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers "Uncle Meat" Vinyl Record 2 LP - Bizarre 1969 - VG+ US $39.16 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention Over Nite Sensation Vinyl Record LP US $15.96 Buy It Now 2h 31m
frank zappa zoot allures lp US $6.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Don't Eat the Yellow Snow / Cosmik Debris 1974 rock 7" Discreet 1312 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank Zappa A Memorial Tribute cd Still Sealed US $199.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Fillmore East June 1971 Record LP Bizarre Psych VG+ US $16.00 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Frank Zappa-Studio Tan LP Still in Shrink No Cut Out..Near Mint US $24.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-Roxy and Elsewhere WLP Promo 2 LP Set Records Near Mint US $58.98 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX, NEIL YOUNG, VAN MORRISON, FRANK ZAPPA AND MANY OTHERS. LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
1983 FRANK ZAPPA ALBUM/RECORD "10 CENTS RARE MEAT" DEL*FI RECORD LABEL US $24.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-Lumpy Gravy 1st Press UK Import Nice Copy Near Mint Gatefold US $78.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa : Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch CD (1995) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Frank Zappa-Apostrophe WLP Promo LP w/Sticker Excellent Copy US $68.98 [0 bids]
One Size Fits All Frank Zappa Audio CD US $26.33 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III Frank Zappa Audio CD US $29.43 Buy It Now 3h 7m
The Man From Utopia Frank Zappa Audio CD US $26.33 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Tinseltown Rebellion Frank Zappa Audio CD US $26.33 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Frank Zappa-Chunga's Revenge WLP Promo LP w/Timing Strip Excellent Copy US $68.98 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa "Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar" LP VG++ BPR-1111 Mothers of Invention US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA DANCIN FOOL BABY SNAKES NM 7 in 45rpm INTL SHIP VEK 144 ACL US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA "Thing-Fish" 3xLp NM/NM Box Set (Dutch Press) + Libretto + Inserts US $46.55 [0 bids]
Absolutely Free Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa Rock Jazz Vinyl LP 1967 PUNK US $9.99 [1 bids]
Jazz from Hell by Frank Zappa (CD, Oct-2012, Universal) remastered US $4.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa and Dweezil Zappa~Sharleena~Unplayed 1987 Guitar Player Soundpage US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Frank Zappa, The Mothers, Cpt Beefheart - RARE 39 Album Lp Lot **NO RESERVE** US $68.79 [9 bids]
NM LP~FRANK ZAPPA~The MOTHERS~Over Nite Sensation~[REPRISE]+[Bonus DISCREET Iss] US $18.00 Buy It Now 4h
FRANK ZAPPA 7" 45 RPM GREEN VINYL LIMITED #'D RSD & MOTHERS OF INVENTION #'D NEW US $39.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA -STRICTLY COMMERCIAL -THE BEST OF -19 TRACK CD-1995-FREE FASTPOST US $20.43 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Frank Zappa ?Apostrophe (') 2001 1st Issue Japanese Mini LP Sleeve CD Import US $14.99 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (') Asian LP LM-2610 yellow label US $110.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
FRANK ZAPPA - DITTIES AND BEER RARE RYKODISC CD PROMO ZAP 2 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA/CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - BONGO FURY RARE CDZAP 15 5016583601522 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA - SAARBRUCKEN 1978 UK CD CASTLE COMMUNICATIONS ESMCD 962 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA - PEACHES EN REGALIA 3" USA MAXI CD SINGLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Frank Zappa - Ship Arriving Too Late To Save... Asian LP #1 JKA-5060 blue label US $80.00 Buy It Now 4h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS 1968 We're only In 4 the Money RARE DELETED LYRICS &INSERT US $78.72 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA UNCLE MEAT 2x LP SET HEAVY VINYL REMASTERED EUROPEAN EDITION SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA FREAK OUT 2x LP HEAVY VINYL EU REMASTERED PRESS GATEFOLD EDITION NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA One Size Fits All DISCREET RECORDS 1975 VG++ to Near Mint US $49.95 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Frank Zappa Jazz From Hell USA Cassette Tape US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Zappa's Universe - S/T CD sealed OOP rare Frank Zappa US $54.00 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Frank Zappa Joe's Garage Act 1 Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa andThe Mothers of Invention Original One Size Fits All Discreet US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers of Prevention Original Barking Pumpkin Records US $11.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Original Chunga's Revenge Bizarre Reprise Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Original Them or Us Barking Pumpkin Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Original You Are What You Is Promotional Copy Barking Pumpkin US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 4x LP Lot UNCLE MEAT ROXY ELSEWHERE FREAK OUT OVER NITE 7x VINYL NEW US $169.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Let It Rock VA LP GERMANY Led Zeppelin Frank Zappa Yes CSNY Moby Grape Faces '70 US $9.00 [0 bids]
frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention We're Only In It For The Money CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Cheap Thrills CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa, Hot Rats LP Test Pressing SS US $68.82 [5 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS Just Another Band from L.A.Ryko Disc Oop 1995 CD 70s US $31.47 Buy It Now 5h 54m
THE FRATERNITY OF MAN (Frank Zappa) SELF TITLED 1968 ORIGINAL 12"LP ABC ABCS-647 US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACT. 1 RARE LP ARGENTINA PROMO US $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat 2 CD US $8.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa. Orchestral Favorites. DSK 2294 US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 19m
FRANK ZAPPA DEATH CERTTIFICATE US $4.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF CLASSIC ROCK VINYL RECORDS FRANK ZAPPA LP ALBUMS US $12.99 [0 bids]
Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (Vinyl, 1969, 2 Discs,...NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 52m
FRANK ZAPPA BEEFHEART MOTHERS Bongo Fury Live LP Vinyl Discreet VG++ US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
FRANK ZAPPA Zappa In New York vinyl GF 2 lp Discreet PROMO VG++ 1977 US $42.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Uncle Meat ZAPPA RECORDS Sealed 180g 2xLP US $36.00 Buy It Now 6h 56m
rock - frank zappa apostrophe US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - WAX FLAGS - LIVE AT UCLA NEW YEARS EVE 1977 - RARE 2 RECORD SET! US $44.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
rock - frank zappa - bongo fury US $9.99 [0 bids]
rock - frank zappa - chunga`s revenge US $12.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa 200 Motels 2LP NM/NM France Import UAS 29.219 US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Penguins - Memories Of El Monte - Frank Zappa - Rare Doo Wop - Chief 45 US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA / uncle meat/ 1969 2 lp dj issue set US $189.99 Buy It Now 7h 20m
FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION "Over-Nite Sensation" LP Discreet Yellow US $7.99 [0 bids]
CD- Frank Zappa- Jazz from Hell- 1987 Ryko RCD 10030- Origin. tinted Jewel case US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA Valley Girl / You Are What You Is ROCK VINYL 45 VG+/NM US $7.95 Buy It Now 7h 35m
FRANK ZAPPA VALLEY GIRLS 45RPM 7" US $12.21 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Dr. Demento Radio Show November 21 22 1987 NM 87-47 Frank Zappa Arlo Guthrie Who US $150.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Dr. Demento Radio Show March 12 13 1988 NM- 88-11 Weird Al Yankovic Frank Zappa US $150.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Frank Zappa LP LOT Zoot Allures 1976, Sheik Yerbouti 1979, Joe's Garage Act 1 79 US $89.90 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Dr. Demento Radio Show October 10 11 1987 VG++ 87-41 The Young Ones Frank Zappa US $150.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Frank Zappa LOT Tinsel Town Rebellion, You Are What You Is Mothers Of Prevention US $89.90 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Freak Out 1966 Stereo 2 LP Verve V6 5005 Hot Spot Map US $74.90 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar by Frank Zappa 2 CD set RYKO 1981 1986 US $14.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars A rather hodge-podge collection, but the high points make this worthwhile. While it doesn't work as well as Volume 1 in terms of surveying Zappa's whole live career, it comes pretty close, and it never feels like just another 80's live album like Volume 3 sometimes did. There are some weird skits, some exercises in era-splicing, and some eye-opening surprises, and all of these good aspects make me overlook the less interesting moments.

One thing that this album also has in spades is a lot of extended instrumental workouts, and these don't always thrill me. "Let's Move to Cleveland-Solos (1984)" and "Pound for a Brown-Solos (1978)" just seem completely redundant to me, and I wasn't really clamoring for another version of "The Black Page," either. I do get some jollies out of the great guitar playing in "Stevie's Spanking" and "Truck Driver Divorce," though; I don't remember how similar the solos here are to the ones in the studio versions, but even if they're identical (which I highly doubt), the energy and power shown in them make them pretty breathtaking. There's also a nice rendition of "Filthy Habits" from 1988, and it's nowhere near as tedious as the original sometimes was.

The skits, as is usual for Zappa, are of mixed quality. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" features Ike Willis and Walt Fowler doing a disturbingly good imitation of the announcers for an Atlanta Braves baseball game, and capturing all of the hopeless ennui that came with rooting for the Braves in the late 80's. "Church Chat" is a fairly dumb anti-Church rant, and while I do admit that I crack up more than a bit at the line, "There is no hell, there's only France," it's not one of Frank's better bits. "Tiny Sick Tears" is a hilarious parody of Jim Morrison's Oedipal ramblings during performances of "The End," and "Smell my Beard/The Booger Man" is a leftover from the Roxy era where the whole joke just seems to be that it mentions boogers.

The rest of the music is of mixed quality, but good on the whole. The highlights come from unexpected places, and they give the album the "revelatory" aspect that's really the key to making albums like this worth it. The first disc features two tracks from Thing Fish, and I love both of the performances here. I always basically liked "Brown Moses," so it's not shocking to me that I find enjoyment here, but I sure wasn't expecting such a great rendition of "The Evil Prince," which I'd almost forgotten even existed. The singing on this track is great, full of what actually sounds like something resembling real emotional power. Who knows, maybe all I needed to appreciate this fully was to have it broken out of its original horrid context.

My other favorite of the album comes from the Bongo Fury era: the original version of "The Torture Never Stops," with Captain Beefheart on vocals. Originally, the track was far bluesier than it later ended up (and it had almost none of the denseness in the sound that the studio version later would), and while I hated Beefheart's singing on BF as anybody, I really think he sounds perfect in this context. Plus, he gets in a lot of fantastic harmonica soloing, and the whole product just reinforces the notion that Zappa should have been involved in more blues performances in his life.

The first disc doesn't really have many other standouts, though people who like the song more than I do will be glad to have a performance of "Montana" that comes from both 1973 and 1984. Most notably, the disc has abbreviated versions of several tracks from Zappa's past, and none are really helped by the shortening. I like the version of "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama," and the modified lyrics to "Willie the Pimp" amuse me (I can't help it, the line "Trying to buy some pussy with a third-party check" kills me every time), but I'd rather hear the originals. The second disc features nice versions of "Outside Now," "Disco Boy," "Florentine Pogen" and especially "Caroline Hard-core Ecstasy," as well as a version of "Teen-Age Wind" that's nowhere near as good as the original one. And finally, the album ends with a series of 50's/60's covers, some of which had appeared on previous albums ("The Closer You Are," "The Man from Utopia," "Mary Lou"), and some of which hadn't. They're fun and goofy and all, and they give an extra sense of diversity to the album, but they're not really necessary.

Overall, then, it's not spectacular, but it's another solid entry in the series. A Zappa fan who hasn't heard the best stuff from this album is a sad Zappa fan indeed. Don't get it before Vol 1 or Vol 5, but definitely get it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#279613) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Volume 4 of Frank Zappa's massive live collection seems to have quite a bit of filler. That doesn't make it not worth owning, however.

There seems to be a lot of throwaway song on this collection. Little Rubber Girl starts out the album in that vein. A doo-wop song, with Frank and Denny Walley appaently making up lyrics as they go along. Later on, there's Ike Willis doing a very funny parody of a baseball announcer on Take Me Out To The Ball Game. Church Chat starts the second disk with a Zappa rant. Tiny Sick Tears, a parody of 96 Tears mostly misses the mark. And the string of old rock & roll songs that closes the album are fun, but unnecessary.

But the good parts are excellent. there's a completely different version of My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, an excellent Willie The Pimp that segues into Montana. Archie Shepp plays a hot sax solo in an excerpt from Let's Move To Cleveland. I believe the version of Filthy Habits on this album is the best Frank released, and the original version of The Torture Never Stops, sung by Don Van Vliet is worth the price alone. The only true gem on the second disk is the version of Truck Driver Divorce that far outshines the original.

Still, a three star Frank Zappa album is better than most other band's best.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#477615) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4"