YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 4

Good, but non-essential

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Live, released in 1991

Disc one
1. Little Rubber Girl (2:57)
2. Stick Together (2:04)
3. My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (3:20)
4. Willie the Pimp (2:07)
5. Montana (5:47)
6. Brown Moses (2:38)
7. The Evil Prince (7:13)
8. Approximate (1:49)
9. Love of My Life (1:58)
10. Let's Move to Cleveland (7:11)
11. You Call That Music? (4:07)
12. Pound for a Brown [Solos 1978] (6:30)
13. The Black Page [1984] (5:15)
14. Take Me Out to the Ball Game (3:02)
15. Filthy Habits (5:40)
16. The Torture Never Stops [Original Version] (9:15)

Disc two:
17. Church Chat (2:00)
18. Stevie's Spanking (10:51)
19. Outside Now (6:10)
20. Disco Boy (3:00)
21. Teen-Age Wind (1:54)
22. Truck Driver Divorce (4:47)
23. Florentine Pogen (5:10)
24. Tiny Sick Tears (4:30)
25. Smell My Beard (4:30)
26. The Booger Man (2:47)
27. Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy (6:28)
28. Are You Upset? (1:29)
29. Little Girl of Mine (1:41)
30. The Closer You Are (2:05)
31. Johnny Darling (0:52)
32. No, No Cherry (1:26)
33. The Man from Utopia Meets Mary Lou (1:16)
34. Mary Lou (2:14)

Search FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, vocals
- Steve Vai / guitar, vocals
- George Duke / keyboards, vocals
- Bruce Fowler / trombone
- Archie Shepp / sax (Tenor)
- Bobby Martin / keyboards, saxophone, vocals
- Arthur Barrow / bass, keyboards
- Captain Beefheart / harmonica, vocals
- Terry Bozzio / drums
- Napoleon Murphy Brock / saxophone, vocals
- Paul Carman / sax (Alto)
- Vinnie Colaiuta / drums
- Roy Estrada / bass, vocals
- Walt Fowler / trumpet, vocals
- Bunk Gardner / trumpet, sax (Tenor)
- Ralph Humphrey / drums
- David Logerman / drums
- Tommy Mars / keyboards, vocals
- Kurt McGettrick / sax (Baritone)
- Patrick O'Hearn / bass
- Dave Samuels / guitar, vocals (background)
- Motorhead Sherwood / sax (Baritone)
- Scott Thunes / bass
- Art Tripp / drums
- Ian Underwood / clarinet
- Ruth Underwood / percussion
- Denny Walley / vocals, slide guitar
- Ray White / guitar, vocals
- Albert Wing / sax (Tenor)
- Allan Zavod / keyboards
- Peter Wolf / keyboards, moog synthesizer, mini moog

Rykodisc #RCD 10567/68

and to Joren for the last updates

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 Music

We're Only In It For The MoneyWe're Only In It For The Money
Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti
Weasels Ripped My FleshWeasels Ripped My Flesh
Zappa Records 2012
Strictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank ZappaStrictly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa
Remastered
Zappa Records/Rykodisc 1995
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
Zappa Records 2012
FRANK ZAPPA Lumpy Grumpy LP BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS BPR77774 US 1984 Gatefold NM US $49.99 Buy It Now 32m 16s
Frank Zappa Original Them or Us Barking Pumpkin Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
33m 44s
Frank Zappa Shi arriving to late to save a drawning witch LP VG+ VG+ US $11.00 Buy It Now 33m 51s
Frank Zappa andThe Mothers of Invention Original One Size Fits All Discreet US $14.99 [0 bids]
35m 3s
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers of Prevention Original Barking Pumpkin Records US $11.99 [0 bids]
35m 54s
Frank Zappa Original Chunga's Revenge Bizarre Reprise Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
36m 32s
Frank Zappa Joe's Garage Act 1 Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
36m 55s
Frank Zappa Original You Are What You Is Promotional Copy Barking Pumpkin US $24.99 [0 bids]
37m 1s
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti Zappa Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
37m 6s
FRANK ZAPPA Worst Mothers of Invention Mint- lp US $39.99 Buy It Now 44m 1s
frank zappa 200 Motels Liberty 92854 gatefold 2 Vinyl Lp N/M US $19.98 Buy It Now 53m 21s
Frank Zappa Apostrophe Original 1st Pressing Discreet DS 2175 Record Album VG+ US $9.99 [1 bids]
56m 30s
HOT RATS BY FRANK ZAPPA - IMPORT - ORIGINAL 1987 RECORDING US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Any Way the Wind Blows by Frank Zappa (CD, 2 Discs, Foo-Eee ) LIVE IN PARIS US $89.95 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Have I Offended Someone? by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1997, Ryko Distribution) US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
L„ather by Frank Zappa (CD, Sep-1996, 3 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $39.95 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Rare FRANK ZAPPA THE BEATLES JOHN LENNON Sometime In New York City PHILIPPINES US $99.99 [0 bids]
THE YELLOW SHARK BY FRANK ZAPPA - ORIGINAL RECORDING - 1993 US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 16m
UNCLE MEAT BY FRANK ZAPPA - IMPORT - ORIGINAL RECORDING 1987 - 2 DISC SET US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat 2 CD US $8.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa/Mothers RARE 5 PROMO WLP Lot **NO RESERVE** Bizarre Verve Reprise US $51.00 [6 bids]
Frank Zappa Hot Rats Original 1st Pressing RS6356 Record Album US $10.49 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA DEATH CERTTIFICATE US $4.99 [0 bids]
? FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE (Discreet 2175) (with "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow") US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Frank Zappa- One Size Fits All US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Frank Zappa- The Man From Utopia US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION The Worst Of The Mothers lp Verve V6-5074X US $9.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa- Valley Girl- 12 in Single- NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Weasels Ripped My Flesh lp Reprise 2028 EX! US $11.07 [3 bids]
LOT OF CLASSIC ROCK VINYL RECORDS FRANK ZAPPA LP ALBUMS US $12.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Roxy & Elsewhere 2lp Live Double Album VG++ US $10.67 [4 bids]
Apostrophe/Over-nite Sensation by Frank Zappa (CD, 1986, Ryko Distribution) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
FRANK ZAPPA Pa's Nose Fell Off... lp Album RARE Gatefold Cheese Records VG+/VG++ US $19.99 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa- Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
RUBEN & THE JETS For Real lp Album Mercury SRM 1-659 Vinyl NM- Frank Zappa US $7.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 5 - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.69 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Frank Zappa- Tinseltown Rebellion US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA - 200 Motels 2LP 1971 US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Frank Zappa- Meets The Mothers Of Prevention US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA - WAX FLAGS - LIVE AT UCLA NEW YEARS EVE 1977 - RARE 2 RECORD SET! US $44.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Frank Zappa- Them Or Us US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Frank Zappa 200 Motels Record Lp Grade Excellent US $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Frank Zappa Jazz from HellRecord Lp Grade Excellent M- US $27.00 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Francesco Zappa - Frank Zappa CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
3h
Frank Zappa - Thing-Fish CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa ?- Beat The Boots! 10 × Vinyl LP Boxset Free Postage Rare 1991 US $558.60 Buy It Now 3h 4m
RECORD ALBUMS FRANK ZAPPA ZOOT ALLURES LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
frank zappa mothers of invention burnt weenie sandwich cd 1995 rock US $8.00 [0 bids]
You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 3 by Frank Zappa original 1995, 2 cd set US $10.00 [0 bids]
Any Way the Wind Blows by Frank Zappa 2 CD set 1991 frank in paris rock mint US $50.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - IN NEW YORK - USED 2 x VINYL LP (1978 DISCREET/WB 2D 2290) US $4.24 [3 bids]
4h
Philly '76 [Digipak] by Frank Zappa (CD, 2009, 2 Discs, Vaulternative) rock US $50.00 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA "ship arriving too late to save drowning witch" NM US $18.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Grand Funk Railroad 1976 MCA LP Good Singin' Good Playin' Frank Zappa Produced US $13.50 Buy It Now 4h 32m
MFSL 24K Gold CD Frank Zappa We're Only in It for the Money Sealed Pristine US $64.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
2 USED FRANK ZAPPA CDS - APOSTROPHE OVERNITE SENSATION - JUST ANOTHER BAND L.A. US $4.95 [0 bids]
The Mothers of Invention The Worst LP Promo MGM SE 4754 Yellow Label Frank Zappa US $34.99 [0 bids]
ALBUM COVER ONLY Frank Zappa Joes Garage acts 1,2,3 US $20.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa HOW'S YOUR BIRD? LP 10" clear vinyl 1998 Italy Abraxas Del-Fi 97 US $9.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa Hot Rats vinyl LP album record UK RSLP6356 REPRISE 1970 US $57.39 Buy It Now 5h 37m
FRANK ZAPPA uncle meat 2 lp '68 Mothers of Invention '73 re vinyl steamboat tan US $85.00 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Frank Zappa The Man from Utopia Japan Promo Label Vinyl LP w Cap OBI Shrink US $119.99 Buy It Now 7h 37m
FRANK ZAPPA ~'Broadway the Hard Way'~Original 1989 CD~CDZAPPA 14~Rare Jazz/Rock US $33.79 Buy It Now 8h 23m
FRANK ZAPPA & The Mothers Of Invention LIVE USA - German CD US $25.65 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Frank Zappa, Roxy & Elsewhere Audio CD US $22.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
PROPHETIC ATTITUDE LE CONCERT IMPROMTU & ROSSINI PLAY FRANK ZAPPA 1997 CD RARE US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
FRANK ZAPPA Mystery Disc. Advance press CD promo only from 1998 ! US $22.00 Buy It Now 10h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA Hot Rats Mega rare LP edition in the "Art & Music Collection" series US $235.00 Buy It Now 10h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA Broadway The Hard Way CZECKOSLOVAKIAN 1991 LP on purple vinyl US $85.00 Buy It Now 10h 35m
FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage Act 1 CZECKOSLOVAKIAN 1991 licensed LP on white vinyl US $85.00 Buy It Now 10h 35m
FRANK ZAPPA 'MUSIC FROM THE PERFECT STRANGER' US 12" SINGLE PROMO COPY US $33.79 Buy It Now 11h
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention LP great condition US $15.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Broadway The Hard Way ZAPPA 14 UK LP 1st Press 1989 US $21.96 Buy It Now 11h 53m
FRANK ZAPPA Roxy & Elsewhere 2013 2x 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $39.64 Buy It Now 11h 53m
Frank Zappa - Guitar ZAPPA 6 UK 2LP 1st Press 1988 US $33.79 Buy It Now 11h 53m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore ZAPPA 7 UK 2LP 1st Press 1988 US $25.34 Buy It Now 11h 55m
The Mothers Frank Zappa Weasels Ripped my Flesh 1st Bizzarre ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $44.00 Buy It Now 12h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 3 - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.03 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Anyway the Wind Blows Frank Zappa CD DISC TWO US $24.99 [0 bids]
New Zappa on the Crappa! Frank Zappa Poster US $10.55 Buy It Now 12h 27m
New Zappa on the Crappa! Frank Zappa Poster US $20.69 Buy It Now 12h 27m
FRANK ZAPPA CAPTAIN BEEFHEART NM- Bongo Fury PROMO DS-2234 Discreet Mothers US $89.95 Buy It Now 13h 7m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION Freak Out 2012 Remastered Double CD NEW US $18.51 Buy It Now 13h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA 'THE MAN FROM UTOPIA' DUTCH IMPORT LP US $33.79 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS OF INVENTION 'FILLMORE EAST JUNE 1971' UK LP A1/B1 US $33.79 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA / THE MOTHERS 'JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A.' UK LP MATRIX A1/B1 US $42.24 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS OF INVENTION 'BURNT WEENY SANDWICH' UK LP US $50.69 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA 'YOU CANT DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE' UK DOUBLE LP US $33.79 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS 'ABSOLUTELY FREE' 1967 GERMAN IMPORT LP VERVE 710006 US $84.50 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA 'STUDIO TAN' UK LP DISCREET A1/B1 MATRIX US $28.72 Buy It Now 13h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA 'SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH' UK LP US $25.34 Buy It Now 13h 22m
The Grand Wazoo by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa just another band from L.A. US $24.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Beat The Boots 10 Lp VinylBox Set / T-shirt/ badge US $650.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa:Ship Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch/Barking Pumpkin orig+inner sl US $8.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA~ SELF TITLED~RARE PICTURE RECORD US $55.99 Buy It Now 14h 15m
FRANK ZAPPA THIGH- 2 LP LIVE ON SHOGUN LBL. CVR. EX+/NM-; LP's EX+/NM- NO TMOQ US $44.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers Fillmore East 1971 Frank Zappa CD Ryko 10167 1st US CD Release 1990 US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-APOSTROPHE(') 1974 DISCREET RECORDS LP DS 2175 EXC. VG+ US $11.99 Buy It Now 15h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA-FRANCESCO 1984 BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS LP ST-74202 EXC. VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 34m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4 reviews

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars A rather hodge-podge collection, but the high points make this worthwhile. While it doesn't work as well as Volume 1 in terms of surveying Zappa's whole live career, it comes pretty close, and it never feels like just another 80's live album like Volume 3 sometimes did. There are some weird skits, some exercises in era-splicing, and some eye-opening surprises, and all of these good aspects make me overlook the less interesting moments.

One thing that this album also has in spades is a lot of extended instrumental workouts, and these don't always thrill me. "Let's Move to Cleveland-Solos (1984)" and "Pound for a Brown-Solos (1978)" just seem completely redundant to me, and I wasn't really clamoring for another version of "The Black Page," either. I do get some jollies out of the great guitar playing in "Stevie's Spanking" and "Truck Driver Divorce," though; I don't remember how similar the solos here are to the ones in the studio versions, but even if they're identical (which I highly doubt), the energy and power shown in them make them pretty breathtaking. There's also a nice rendition of "Filthy Habits" from 1988, and it's nowhere near as tedious as the original sometimes was.

The skits, as is usual for Zappa, are of mixed quality. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" features Ike Willis and Walt Fowler doing a disturbingly good imitation of the announcers for an Atlanta Braves baseball game, and capturing all of the hopeless ennui that came with rooting for the Braves in the late 80's. "Church Chat" is a fairly dumb anti-Church rant, and while I do admit that I crack up more than a bit at the line, "There is no hell, there's only France," it's not one of Frank's better bits. "Tiny Sick Tears" is a hilarious parody of Jim Morrison's Oedipal ramblings during performances of "The End," and "Smell my Beard/The Booger Man" is a leftover from the Roxy era where the whole joke just seems to be that it mentions boogers.

The rest of the music is of mixed quality, but good on the whole. The highlights come from unexpected places, and they give the album the "revelatory" aspect that's really the key to making albums like this worth it. The first disc features two tracks from Thing Fish, and I love both of the performances here. I always basically liked "Brown Moses," so it's not shocking to me that I find enjoyment here, but I sure wasn't expecting such a great rendition of "The Evil Prince," which I'd almost forgotten even existed. The singing on this track is great, full of what actually sounds like something resembling real emotional power. Who knows, maybe all I needed to appreciate this fully was to have it broken out of its original horrid context.

My other favorite of the album comes from the Bongo Fury era: the original version of "The Torture Never Stops," with Captain Beefheart on vocals. Originally, the track was far bluesier than it later ended up (and it had almost none of the denseness in the sound that the studio version later would), and while I hated Beefheart's singing on BF as anybody, I really think he sounds perfect in this context. Plus, he gets in a lot of fantastic harmonica soloing, and the whole product just reinforces the notion that Zappa should have been involved in more blues performances in his life.

The first disc doesn't really have many other standouts, though people who like the song more than I do will be glad to have a performance of "Montana" that comes from both 1973 and 1984. Most notably, the disc has abbreviated versions of several tracks from Zappa's past, and none are really helped by the shortening. I like the version of "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama," and the modified lyrics to "Willie the Pimp" amuse me (I can't help it, the line "Trying to buy some pussy with a third-party check" kills me every time), but I'd rather hear the originals. The second disc features nice versions of "Outside Now," "Disco Boy," "Florentine Pogen" and especially "Caroline Hard-core Ecstasy," as well as a version of "Teen-Age Wind" that's nowhere near as good as the original one. And finally, the album ends with a series of 50's/60's covers, some of which had appeared on previous albums ("The Closer You Are," "The Man from Utopia," "Mary Lou"), and some of which hadn't. They're fun and goofy and all, and they give an extra sense of diversity to the album, but they're not really necessary.

Overall, then, it's not spectacular, but it's another solid entry in the series. A Zappa fan who hasn't heard the best stuff from this album is a sad Zappa fan indeed. Don't get it before Vol 1 or Vol 5, but definitely get it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#279613) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Volume 4 of Frank Zappa's massive live collection seems to have quite a bit of filler. That doesn't make it not worth owning, however.

There seems to be a lot of throwaway song on this collection. Little Rubber Girl starts out the album in that vein. A doo-wop song, with Frank and Denny Walley appaently making up lyrics as they go along. Later on, there's Ike Willis doing a very funny parody of a baseball announcer on Take Me Out To The Ball Game. Church Chat starts the second disk with a Zappa rant. Tiny Sick Tears, a parody of 96 Tears mostly misses the mark. And the string of old rock & roll songs that closes the album are fun, but unnecessary.

But the good parts are excellent. there's a completely different version of My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, an excellent Willie The Pimp that segues into Montana. Archie Shepp plays a hot sax solo in an excerpt from Let's Move To Cleveland. I believe the version of Filthy Habits on this album is the best Frank released, and the original version of The Torture Never Stops, sung by Don Van Vliet is worth the price alone. The only true gem on the second disk is the version of Truck Driver Divorce that far outshines the original.

Still, a three star Frank Zappa album is better than most other band's best.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#477615) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4"