LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. I

Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Sad Jane (9:55)
2. Pedro's Dowry (10:26)
3. Envelopes (4:11)
4. Mo 'N' Herb's Vacation (27:51)

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, keyboards, vocals, arranger, composer, producer
- Ed Mann / percussion
- Chad Wackerman / drums
- David Ocker / clarinet
- The London Symphony Orchestra / Orchestra

Rykodisc #10540/41

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I Music

Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
The Grand WazooThe Grand Wazoo
Zappa In New YorkZappa In New York
Weasels Ripped My FleshWeasels Ripped My Flesh
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa & The Mothers- Fillmore East June 1971 LP EXC blue Bizarre original US $10.00 Buy It Now 31m 9s
Frank Zappa Tan Studio DiscReet Records DSK 2291 VG+/VG+ US $5.99 [0 bids]
33m 16s
One Size Fits All, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 34m 16s
FRANK ZAPPA-For President 2012-Licensed POSTER-90cm x 60cm-Brand New US $10.24 Buy It Now 35m 51s
FRANK ZAPPA Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar JAPAN 1st Press 1988 CD CP25 5000Yen US $99.00 Buy It Now 43m 17s
45rpm FRANK ZAPPA - VALLEY GIRL YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS PsychRock M- vinyl US $5.95 Buy It Now 47m 48s
FRANK ZAPPA - THEM OR US - BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS DOUBLE LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Frank Zappa Broadway the Hard Way LP Record Grade M- M- US $26.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Chunga's Revenge by Frank Zappa (CD, Jul-2012, UMe) US $10.19 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Absolutely Free, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Sheik Yerbouti, Frank Zappa, New US $14.10 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Frank Zappa "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" 7" Numbered RSD vinyl 2014 #4541 US $3.94 [5 bids]
Frank Zappa-IN NEW YORK 1977 PICTURE INNER SLEEVES, GREAT SHAPE! US $19.99 [0 bids]
mothers of invention were only in it for the money gold cd new mfsl frank zappa US $45.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS UNCLE MEAT, U.S. DOUBLE LP US $70.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Frank Zappa Zoot Allures LP IN SHRINK 1976 NM Mothers Of Invention US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA - Zoot Allures LP (1st US Pressing on WARNER w/"Burbank" Labels) NM US $6.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa LP Lot LOOK US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Mothers Of Invention: The **** Of The Mothers LP *NM/VERVE O US $11.95 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS + 3 SEALED 12 INCH PICTURE DISC 780 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
EU import TERRY BOZZIO Metropole Orkest Chamber Works CD Frank Zappa NEW Sealed US $29.98 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Frank Zappa Mothers Fillmore East USA 12" 33rpm ROCK Vinyl LP record Inner US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar - 2CD - (Universal 2012) US $23.23 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 29m
Frank Zappa - The Perfect Stranger - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Frank Zappa - Them Or Us - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Frank Zappa - Thing Fish - 2CD - (Universal 2012) US $23.23 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Frank Zappa - Playground Psychotics- 2CD - (Universal 2012) US $23.23 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark - CD Gatefold Card Sleeve - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Frank Zappa - MYSTERY DISC - CD - (Universal 2012) US $18.25 Buy It Now 5h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH ORIGINAL CASSETTE! US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Uncle Meat Frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention 2LP SEALED FREE SHIPPING US $39.99 [0 bids]
ROXY & ELSEWHERE Frank Zappa The Mothers of Invention 2LP SEALED FREE SHIPPING US $39.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Zappa In New York - 2CD - (Universal 2012) US $23.23 Buy It Now 7h 34m
FRANK ZAPPA - JOE'S GARAGE - DUTCH CBS IMPORT - ACT 1 - LP US $13.27 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Vol. 3-You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore [CD New] US $15.69 Buy It Now 8h 16m
rock - frank zappa - studio tan US $12.99 [0 bids]
rock - frank zappa apostrophe US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers [Frank Zappa] - Fillmore East, June 1971 - Vinyl LP Record Album US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa We're Only In It For The Money Orig Verve Exc Surfaces US $25.00 [1 bids]
dvd FRANK ZAPPA JOHN DAN AND ME - SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE US $32.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST, JUNE,'71 CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark (Ensemble Modern) 24HR POST!! US $12.44 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Mothers Of Invention,Burnt Weeny Sandwich,Matrix endings A1 & B1. Frank Zappa,LP US $34.86 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention,One Size Fits All,LP US $29.05 Buy It Now 10h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA APOSTROPHE 1974 ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP UNIQUE COVER/ BACKCOVER US $81.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA IN NEW YORK ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO 2LP N/MINT US $163.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
FRANK ZAPPA ZOOT ALLURES 1976 ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP US $28.69 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Frank Zappa Studio Tan PROMO 1st 1978 Discreet Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, A+ US $36.00 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Frank Zappa just another band from L.A. US $24.99 [0 bids]
The Grand Wazoo by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $19.99 [0 bids]
11h
FRANK ZAPPA Apostrophe 1974 Australia (Discreet) LP - Mothers Of Invention US $49.10 Buy It Now 11h 7m
OOR PRESENTS-LITERALUISTER PLAAT-FRANK ZAPPA/TIM BUCKLEY/CAPTAIN BEEFHEART VAN M US $49.95 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Zappa in New York by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Frank Zappa,Rare Meat,Mono pressing. 6 track mini-album,LP US $16.59 Buy It Now 11h 19m
You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 1-6 [Box] by Frank Zappa (CD, Jul-1992, US $86.00 [21 bids]
ROCK LP FRANK ZAPPA "JOE'S GARAGE" 1ST PRESS WITH AIR PLAY STICKER / SRZ 1 1603 US $99.95 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Frank Zappa,Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention (European Version),LP US $15.76 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Frank Zappa,Ship Arriving Too late To Save A Drowning Witch,LP US $15.76 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
FRANK ZAPPA YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON THE RADIO ANYMORE RARE SEALED RYKO SAMPLER CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
ROBERT CRAFT frank zappa edgard varese hyperprism destiny 21,5 lp edgar '83 WOW US $35.72 Buy It Now 12h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA Finer Moments 2013 180G Double Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $48.08 Buy It Now 12h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS - THE ARK- JULY 1968 (RARE LP) Live Boston 1968 US $28.00 Buy It Now 12h 29m
FRANK ZAPPA - 200 Motels (1971 Vinyl 2 LP) france liberty NM! US $37.50 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa (CD, Aug-1995, Ryko) US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA Mothers of Invention - Just Another Band From LA (1972 Vinyl LP) NM US $22.50 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Philippines MISSING PERSONS - Spring Session CASSETTE Rare NEW WAVE Frank Zappa! US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-Burnt weeny Sandwich (Very Rare Orig, Greek Gatefold LP) US $65.00 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Broadway the Hard Way by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $2.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 24m
Frank Zappa - Old Masters Box One LP PrOMO vinyl record sealed NEW RARE US $99.99 Buy It Now 13h 36m
FRANK ZAPPA-FRANCESCO 1984 BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS LP ST-74202 EXC. VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 48m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers LP Roxy & Elsewhere 1974 live double record US $15.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA HEAVENLY BANKACCOUNT / 2LP US $99.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Frank Zappa mr gene's greens US $19.99 [1 bids]
Frank Zappa Kill Ugly Radio Some More PROMO CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA / MOTHERS over nite sensation ( rock ) US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 45m
Frank Zappa Goblin Girl Picture Disk Vinyl - Near Mint Special Edition EP US $24.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa 1980 Zappa 12" 45rpm I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Vinyl Near Mint US $14.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Sticker Cut Vinyl Decal 2 piece Mothers of Invention Guitarist US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Make a Jazz Noise Here -Frank Zappa 1991 Barking Pumpkin First Issue NRMT US $24.95 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Zoot Allures by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 20m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS - UNCLE MEAT 2 LP Original Bizzare Pressing EX+ US $47.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention - "Just Another Band From LA" - LP PROMO US $22.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Does Humor Belong in Music? by Frank Zappa (1986, EMI Records) US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA FWT 38066 CASSETTE 1982 INCLUDES VALEY GIRL NEAR MINT CONDITION US $11.24 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Mothers - Over-Night Sensation - Discreet - Frank Zappa / Mothers Of Invention US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers Over - Nite Sensation Frank Zappa MS2149 LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 47m
LATHER Frank Zappa (Original 1996 Ryko/FZ issue) 3 CDs FAT BOY CASE US $48.99 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Frank Zappa Bobby Brown Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $83.02 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Frank Zappa Bobby Brown Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $116.24 Buy It Now 15h 51m
Frank Zappa Album Cover COASTER Set #1 US $11.61 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Frank Zappa Album Cover COASTER Set #2 US $11.61 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Frank Zappa - Clean Cuts From Sheik Yerbouti - Promo LP - MK 78 - 1979 US $15.99 Buy It Now 15h 58m
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE LP MOTHERS OF US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 3m
Frank Zappa - Rare Episodes - Various Artists US $4.15 [5 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA LP Overnite Sensation 1973 Rerpise mothers of invention progrock US $8.50 [2 bids]

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I reviews

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars This album and its eventual successor (Vol 2; they were later combined into a single 2-disc release, though the first disc is not just Vol 1 and the second disc is not just Vol 2) have one of the weirdest histories of any Zappa release. In early 1983, Frank decided to take some of his classical compositions (some new, some that had been recorded already on Orchestral Favorites) and give them to the London Symphony Orchestra, figuring he'd get some good recordings out of them. Instead Frank had an experience that helped eventually drive him away from using real orchestras for his classical pieces for almost a decade. Supposedly, there were all sorts of issues that resulted from the various performers not initially realizing they'd be playing fairly sophisticated material and not wanting to put in the necessary extra time to get recording- quality takes, which obviously kinda cheesed Frank off. Frank himself criticized these recordings quite a bit over the years, so this makes me feel a little better about the fact that I don't get a lot out of this album.

I'm guessing, though, that the reasons I don't like this album aren't the same as the reasons Frank didn't like it. It's not that I dislike classical in general, and it's not that I have a particular dislike of 20th-century classical; my favorite composer continues to be Stravinsky (from whom Frank draws heavy inspiration), and my favorite classical piece has long been The Rite of Spring. The problem I have, which I fully admit could be because I don't have as much knowledge of classical as I do of rock, is that I'm not sure what should distinguish these pieces, for better, from other modern classical pieces. "Pedro's Dowry" is basically the same piece that bored me on Orchestral Favorites, only slightly longer, so that doesn't help much. "Envelopes" is novel because it was originally a non-orchestral 'normal' instrumental, but if I didn't feel thrilled about it on Ship Arriving, why should I care about it here? I do admit that "Sad Jane" has quite a few effectively dramatic stretches, but "Mo'Nerb's Vacation" just sounds like average movie orchestral soundtrack music stretched out over 20 minutes, so what's the point?

I mean, I don't hate listening to this album, but I just don't see why I would ever have any need to listen to this album if it didn't have the Frank Zappa name on it. Given the choice between Zappa the clever "lowbrow" musician and Zappa the largely average "highbrow" composer, I could never ever choose the latter, which is why this can't get a good grade despite few overtly terrible moments. For completists only.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#381487) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 17, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This was the first of Frank Zappa's "serious" orchestral albums. The album consists of three pieces. The first two, Sad Jane, and the three movement Mo 'n Herb's Vacation highlight Zappa fascination with a few twentieth century classical composers, particularly Igor Stavinsky and Edgard Varèse. The third piece is Bogus Pomp, in this case a more developed version of some of the orcestral music from "200 Motels".

The music is pretty good for avant-garde classical, although the rocording is plagued with inconsistant miking (some instrument sections sound quite far away), and at times (and Zappa had complained about this), the musicians just didn't take the music seriously enough.

The best part are the percussion sections. Zappa brough along Chad Wackerman and Ed Mann from his band, and they provide some excitement to the album.

As such, the album is not prog rock at all, but still gets three stars from me.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#412227) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 06, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I"