LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. I

Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Sad Jane (9:55)
2. Pedro's Dowry (10:26)
3. Envelopes (4:11)
4. Mo 'N' Herb's Vacation (27:51)

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, keyboards, vocals, arranger, composer, producer
- Ed Mann / percussion
- Chad Wackerman / drums
- David Ocker / clarinet
- The London Symphony Orchestra / Orchestra

Rykodisc #10540/41

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I Music

One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti
Best Band You Never Heard in Your LifeBest Band You Never Heard in Your Life
FRANK ZAPPA MAKE A JAZZ NOISE 2 CD SET RYKO/ZAPPA US $9.99 Buy It Now 29m 43s
Son of Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1999, Ryko Distribution) US $7.00 [0 bids]
30m 35s
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $6.00 [0 bids]
34m 5s
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti 12" LP Rock Zappa Records SRZ-2-1501 US $8.99 [0 bids]
42m 49s
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention FREAK OUT! 180g HQ New Sealed VINYL 2 LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Frank Zappa You Are What You Is 12" 2-LP PW2-37537 Rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
William S. Burroughs Frank Zappa Philip Glass Allen Ginsberg YOU'RE A HOOK GPSlp US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
FRANK ZAPPA: I DON'T WANNA GET DRAFTED rare AVANT GARDE 45 clean NM US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DiscReet PROMO Avant Prog Psych Jazz LP STUDIO TAN Frank Zappa US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Trout Mask Replica Captain Beefheart CD Frank Zappa Produced US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Frank Zappa The Mothers "Just Another Band From L.A." 1972 Reprise Ex. Condition US $9.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - OVER-NITE SENSATION [FRANK ZAPPA] - NEW CD US $8.78 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe' (Cassette 1974 Discreet) Fusion, Psychedelic Rock Prog US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Frank Zappa [LP] Francesco Zappa *VG+* [ST-74202] (US; 1984) *w/ Insert* US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
"ZAPPED" Vinyl LP VA, Captain Beefheart, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Tim Buckley US $6.99 [0 bids]
RECORD ALBUMS FRANK ZAPPA GOT RATS LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
RECORD ALBUMS FRANK ZAPPA OVER-NITE SENSATION QUADRADISC LP US $9.99 [4 bids]
don't ever buy nothin' you don't dig ltd ed cd frank zappa grateful dead t. rex US $84.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Frank Zappa / Finer Moments / New Factory Sealed Double LP ** Audio ** Mint / NM US $29.99 [0 bids]
AUTOSALVAGE S/T Self-Titled lp Album '68 US RCA LSP-3940 Psych Frank Zappa VG++ US $26.69 [5 bids]
Frank Zappa [LP] Orchestral Favorites *VG+* [Discreet; DSK 2294] (1979) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Frank Zappa - Orchestral Favorites LP VG+/VG+ sleeve US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
FRANK ZAPPA -Zoot Allures ~ WARNER BROS 2970 "Black Napkins" w/Terry Bozio RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Frank Zappa "Saarbrucken 1978" OOP CD FOO-EEE Records/Rhino 1991 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Chunga's Revenge Bizarre Reprise MS 2030 US $14.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Mothers BURNT WEENY SANDWICH 1st POSTER US $24.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers (Frank Zappa), Cletus Awreetus-Awrighus on Bizarre, M- US $29.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa & the Mothers - Fillmore East June 1971 CD Ryko 1990 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
ROXY BY PROXY: Frank Zappa CD NEW and SEALED US $59.95 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Frank Zappa Strictly Commercial Best Of Japan Mini Vinyl 2 CD Set NEW Diff track US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Frank Zappa - "Over-Nite Sensation" 12" Vinyl LP US $6.00 [8 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - THING-FISH NEW CD US $29.77 Buy It Now 4h 36m
FRANK ZAPPA - LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA I & II NEW CD US $29.77 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Frank Zappa Strictly Commercial Best of 12" LP US $29.00 [0 bids]
5h
NEW & Sealed! Frank Zappa "Overnight Sensation" LP Vinyl Record (Free Shipping) US $28.98 Buy It Now 5h 9m
Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage: Acts 1, 2 and 3 - CD May-1995 2 Discs Ryko... US $28.50 [0 bids]
All You Need Is Glove -Aspects of the 1984 Tour, Frank Zappa (NEW) US $100.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa And The Mothers LP We're Only In It For The Money ORIG US PSYCH 1967 US $9.99 [1 bids]
The Frank Zappa Lumpy Gravy Lp Vinyl Album Verve Electric Symphony Orchestra US $13.50 [1 bids]
The Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa Absolutely Free Lp Vinyl Album Verve US $29.50 [0 bids]
6h
The Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa FREAK OUT! 2 Lp Vinyl Album Verve Double US $29.50 [0 bids]
6h
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY 1967 RARE CONCERT POSTER - LOOKS AWESOME FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 6h 30m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE 1968 CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 6h 32m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE 1970 CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe- NM US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Frank Zappa- Just Another Band From L.A. US $12.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Frank Zappa- 4 Song Picture Disk- 12 in US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE 1971 CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Frank Zappa- 2 Song Picture Disk-12 in US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 9m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE 1975 CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 7h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE 1978 CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 7h 14m
FRANK ZAPPA - HIGH QUALITY EARLY VINTAGE RARE CONCERT POSTER, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $15.51 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage Acts II & III US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage Act I US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Frank Zappa- Sheik Yerbouti US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Frank Zappa- Orchestral Favorites US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Frank Zappa- Studio Tan US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Frank Zappa- Zappa In New York US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Frank Zappa- Zoot Allures US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 48m
You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 by Frank Zappa (CD, Oct-2012, 2... US $13.55 Buy It Now 8h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage Act 1 SRZ-1-1603 Vinyl LP Original 1979 Gatefold EX/EX US $20.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA"DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW" RECORD STORE DAY 2014 7'' 45 BRAND NEW!!! US $14.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Frank Zappa - Studio Tan CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes CD US $15.23 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is CD US $15.06 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 5 - CD X 2 US $16.93 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Frank Zappa / Mothers - Ahead Of Their Time CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Frank Zappa / Mothers - Lumpy Gravy CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Frank Zappa Pierre Boulez - The Perfect Stranger CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 9h 20m
MISSING PERSONS "Words" OZ Capitol EX 7" 45 Frank Zappa & Mothers Terry Bozzio US $4.68 [0 bids]
Ruben & the Jets - For Real! cd 1973 Frank Zappa Mothers of Invention EDSEL NEW US $24.90 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Fraternity of Man - Get it On cd 1969 Little Feat Frank Zappa Captain Beefheart US $39.90 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Frank Zappa : Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger CD (2006) US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
CD FRANK ZAPPA CRUISING WITH RUBEN & THE JETS ~MINT!! 1995 RYKO US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
CD FRANK ZAPPA FOR COLLECTORS ONLY ~RARE!! 2002 DISKY US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Frank Zappa 2 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Frank Zappa 2 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Frank Zappa 3 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Frank Zappa 3 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Frank Zappa 4 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Frank Zappa 4 The Mothers Ryco iphone 4 4g 4s 5 & galaxy S3 S4 hard case cover US $22.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
FRANK ZAPPA - Overnight Sensation - tape / cassette US $14.08 Buy It Now 11h 8m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I reviews

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars This album and its eventual successor (Vol 2; they were later combined into a single 2-disc release, though the first disc is not just Vol 1 and the second disc is not just Vol 2) have one of the weirdest histories of any Zappa release. In early 1983, Frank decided to take some of his classical compositions (some new, some that had been recorded already on Orchestral Favorites) and give them to the London Symphony Orchestra, figuring he'd get some good recordings out of them. Instead Frank had an experience that helped eventually drive him away from using real orchestras for his classical pieces for almost a decade. Supposedly, there were all sorts of issues that resulted from the various performers not initially realizing they'd be playing fairly sophisticated material and not wanting to put in the necessary extra time to get recording- quality takes, which obviously kinda cheesed Frank off. Frank himself criticized these recordings quite a bit over the years, so this makes me feel a little better about the fact that I don't get a lot out of this album.

I'm guessing, though, that the reasons I don't like this album aren't the same as the reasons Frank didn't like it. It's not that I dislike classical in general, and it's not that I have a particular dislike of 20th-century classical; my favorite composer continues to be Stravinsky (from whom Frank draws heavy inspiration), and my favorite classical piece has long been The Rite of Spring. The problem I have, which I fully admit could be because I don't have as much knowledge of classical as I do of rock, is that I'm not sure what should distinguish these pieces, for better, from other modern classical pieces. "Pedro's Dowry" is basically the same piece that bored me on Orchestral Favorites, only slightly longer, so that doesn't help much. "Envelopes" is novel because it was originally a non-orchestral 'normal' instrumental, but if I didn't feel thrilled about it on Ship Arriving, why should I care about it here? I do admit that "Sad Jane" has quite a few effectively dramatic stretches, but "Mo'Nerb's Vacation" just sounds like average movie orchestral soundtrack music stretched out over 20 minutes, so what's the point?

I mean, I don't hate listening to this album, but I just don't see why I would ever have any need to listen to this album if it didn't have the Frank Zappa name on it. Given the choice between Zappa the clever "lowbrow" musician and Zappa the largely average "highbrow" composer, I could never ever choose the latter, which is why this can't get a good grade despite few overtly terrible moments. For completists only.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#381487) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 17, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This was the first of Frank Zappa's "serious" orchestral albums. The album consists of three pieces. The first two, Sad Jane, and the three movement Mo 'n Herb's Vacation highlight Zappa fascination with a few twentieth century classical composers, particularly Igor Stavinsky and Edgard Varèse. The third piece is Bogus Pomp, in this case a more developed version of some of the orcestral music from "200 Motels".

The music is pretty good for avant-garde classical, although the rocording is plagued with inconsistant miking (some instrument sections sound quite far away), and at times (and Zappa had complained about this), the musicians just didn't take the music seriously enough.

The best part are the percussion sections. Zappa brough along Chad Wackerman and Ed Mann from his band, and they provide some excitement to the album.

As such, the album is not prog rock at all, but still gets three stars from me.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#412227) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 06, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I"