LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. I

Studio Album, released in 1983

1. Sad Jane (9:55)
2. Pedro's Dowry (10:26)
3. Envelopes (4:11)
4. Mo 'N' Herb's Vacation (27:51)

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I tabs

- Frank Zappa / guitar, keyboards, vocals, arranger, composer, producer
- Ed Mann / percussion
- Chad Wackerman / drums
- David Ocker / clarinet
- The London Symphony Orchestra / Orchestra

Rykodisc #10540/41

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I Music

Apostrophe (')Apostrophe (')
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Waka/JawakaWaka/Jawaka
Uncle MeatUncle Meat
Freak OutFreak Out
Zappa Records 2012
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe LP - Discreet NR-MINT RECORD VG COVER US $0.99 [3 bids]
36m 57s
Any Way the Wind Blows by Frank Zappa CD, Jul-1991 2 Discs Foo-Eee Records rock US $40.00 [0 bids]
37m 40s
Frank Zappa/ Mothhers - Roxy & Elsewhere Double LP NR-MINT / EX 2DS 2202 US $13.45 [5 bids]
40m 15s
frank zappa JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A. the turtles MINT 2012 cd ORIGINAL MIX US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 33s
70s classic rock,Frank Zappa, and the mothers of invention US $30.00 Buy It Now 43m 7s
frank zappa WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH the mother's of invention RYKO CD excellent US $10.99 Buy It Now 46m 50s
Dweezil Zappa, 12" PROMO, RARE, "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama", Frank Zappa US $5.55 [0 bids]
50m 12s
FRANK ZAPPA Mystery Disc 1998 Ryko CD 70s Rock US $14.39 Buy It Now 51m 27s
Frank Zappa A Token of His Extreme Soundtrack CD NEW/Sealed US $24.99 [0 bids]
54m 45s
Frank Zappa -Mothers Of Invention -"Weasels Ripped My Flesh" w/ US $15.99 [0 bids]
55m 58s
Frank Zappa Zapped LP 1969 VA Alice Cooper Capt Beefheart Tim Buckley Bizarre US $12.99 Buy It Now 56m 56s
frank zappa BURNT WEENY SANDWICH mothers of invention MINT oop RYKO CD 1995 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h
Sandy's Album Is Here at Last! by Sandy Hurvitz CD FRANK ZAPPA Essra Mohawk MINT US $1.29 [4 bids]
CONRAD AND THE HURRICANES PROMO 45 HURRICANE/ SWEET LOVE ERA 3130 Frank Zappa US $9.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS - One Size Fits All LP (US Pressing on DISCREET) US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
FRANK ZAPPA ONE SIZE FITS ALL WARNER BROS DISCREET DS 2216 RARE RECORD ALBUM LP US $21.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa the mothers of invention mothermania Rare compilation Bizarre Verve US $39.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa and the Mother Over-Nite Sensation LP Discreet Label US $10.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Joe's Garage Acts II & III US $5.00 [0 bids]
Absolutely Free by Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (CD, May-1995, Ryko) US $2.25 [3 bids]
Frank Zappa Lumpy Gravy Ryko Distribution US $0.99 [1 bids]
Roxy & Elsewhere by Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (Ryko) US $2.00 [4 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS - ONE SIZE FITS ALL, DS 2216 DISCREET US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison by Frank Zappa (CD, Sep-2011, Zappa Records NEW US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
October 10,1969 Frank Zappa, The Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Norman Greenbaum WB Promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Overnite Sensation Sealed Lp Rock Jazz Psych Original Ms 2149 US $99.99 [0 bids]
The Force Frank Zappa, Ron Wood, Randy Newman, Fleetwood Mac, John Sebatian US $2.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Apostrophe ' LP Original Release Vinyl Record DS 2175 NM Nice! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Looney Tunes Merrie Melodies Faces, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Kinks, Frank Zappa US $14.99 [1 bids]
NEW Frank Zappa 200 Motels 2 CD Discs SEALED Mothers of Invention Soundtrack US $64.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Frank Zappa - The Old Masters: Sampler - Vinyl LP - Barking Pumpkin - NM US $25.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka LP - In Shrink - MS 2094 - Blue Bizarre Labels US $19.99 [0 bids]
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $2.75 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-KENT NAGANO-LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL I-LP-VINYL-US-1ST PRESS US $12.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-KENT NAGANO-LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL II-LP-VINYL-US-1ST PRESS US $12.99 [0 bids]
frank zappa mothers absolutely free cd originsl 1995 release rock US $10.00 [0 bids]
frank zappa meets the mothers of prevention cd 1986 usa release rock US $15.00 [0 bids]
3h
FRANK ZAPPA-WAKA JAWAKA/HOT RATS-ORIG '72 BIZARRE REPRISE PSYCH LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
4h
Fillmore East: June 1971 by Frank Zappa(CD,May-1990,Ryko Distribution) Authentic US $36.75 Buy It Now 4h 21m
LENNY BRUCE - THE BERKELEY CONCERT 2LP WHITE LABEL PROMO BIZARRE FRANK ZAPPA US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE acts II & III DOUBLE ALBUM VINYL L.P. US $38.26 Buy It Now 4h 44m
MOTHERMANIA BEST OF THE MOTHERS FRANK ZAPPA ULTRA RARE ISRAEL ISRAELI LP HEBREW US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
FRANK ZAPPA - YELLOW SHARK NEW CD US $29.10 Buy It Now 4h 48m
FRANK ZAPPA - TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME NEW DVD US $20.30 Buy It Now 5h
Frank Zappa Joes Garage Act 1 Vinyl Record Pysche US $6.00 [0 bids]
We're Only in It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy by Frank Zappa (CD, 1986, Ryko... US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA / The Mothers Of Invention "Freak Out" ~ Original 1987 USA Ryco CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 5h 56m
FRANK ZAPPA YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS + 3 SEALED 12 INCH PICTURE DISC 780 US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (CD, 2012, 2... US $9.99 [0 bids]
Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $8.99 [0 bids]
MOTHERS OF INVENTION Why Don'tcha Do Me Right RSD vinyl 7" NEW Frank Zappa US $16.29 Buy It Now 7h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA I'm The Slime UK RSD green vinyl 7" NEW/UNPLAYED US $16.29 Buy It Now 7h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA JAZZ FROM HELL - USA CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart - Set of 2 Posters Size 84.1cm x 59.4cm US $22.82 Buy It Now 7h 47m
(KEITH-Adventures of Keith)-fascinating magnum opus/vocalist Frank Zappa-E4-LP US $16.98 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage- Acts II & III- Still Sealed US $30.00 Buy It Now 8h 59m
FRANK ZAPPA Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes APOSTROPHE US $22.82 Buy It Now 9h
FRANK ZAPPA Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes TOILET US $22.82 Buy It Now 9h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS Just Another Band from L.A. CD RykoDisc RCD 10515 US $6.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA APOSTROPHE! DISCREET WARNER BROTHERS DS 175 VINYL LP US $5.00 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA WAKA/JAWAKA HOT RATS REPRISE -BIZARRE 2094 VINYL LP US $20.00 [0 bids]
'Tis The Season To Be Jelly by Mothers Of Invention and Frank Zappa - FAST POST US $16.29 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Frank Zappa 45 "Valley Girl / You Are What You Is" US $4.49 Buy It Now 11h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch CD NEW US $20.10 Buy It Now 12h 10m
FRANK ZAPPA You Are What You Is CD BRAND NEW US $20.09 Buy It Now 12h 11m
Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention In The 1960's DVD NEW! US $13.75 Buy It Now 12h 19m
Son of Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1999, Ryko Distribution) US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Mothers Of Invention,Uncle Meat -2024 ,frank zappa,bizarre US $28.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
The Mothers Of Invention,Just Another Band from L.A ,frank zappa,bizarre,ms2075 US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts I,II,III - Cassettes - Excellent Condition US $12.99 Buy It Now 12h 54m
Frank Zappa / Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere 1st 1A/1B 1974 Press ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 12h 57m
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS FILLMORE EAST-JUNE 1971 RARE ORIG DIFF ISRAELI LP 1st US $120.00 Buy It Now 13h
FRANK ZAPPA Mystery Disc 35-Track Rarities CD Captain Beefheart US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cheap Thrills by Frank Zappa (CD, Apr-1998, Ryko Distribution) US $3.99 [0 bids]
You Are What You Is - Frank Zappa Remastered CD( RCD-40165 Rykodisc) US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA & MOTHERS OF INVENTION We're Only in It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA 45 I DONT WANNA GET DRAFTED RECORD 7" US $4.50 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Jean Luc Ponty King Kong Near Mint Rare LP US $58.98 [0 bids]
7"-Single GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - Can You Do It (1976) FRANK ZAPPA / GERMANY PS US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 45m
7"-Single GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Can You Do It (1976) Prod.by FRANK ZAPPA / GERMANY US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 53m
Frank Zappa- Mothermania US $30.00 Buy It Now 13h 58m
Frank Zappa NM Vinyl 45(1982)-Valley Girl/You Are What You Is US $7.00 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Frank Zappa/ David Bowie What's it all about 7" Atlanta radio spot promo only US $4.25 [2 bids]
Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $39.13 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Frank Zappa, Rare Meat Rhino Records RNEP 604 Del Fi Records 1983 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa-Lumpy Gravy-Verve 8741-STEREO US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 21m
1981 Frank Zappa Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar Some More LP US $18.99 [0 bids]
GEORGE DUKE "SHINE ON" / "POSITIVE ENERGY" 7" 45 FRANK ZAPPA MEMBER JAZZ R US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Frank Zappa-Cruising With Ruben & The Jets-Verve 5055-STEREO MOTHERS US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
2 CD FRANK ZAPPA JOE'S GARAGE ACTS I II & III US $13.99 Buy It Now 15h 31m
FRANK ZAPPA Sheik Yerbouti JAPAN 1st Press CD 1988 CP32-5661 3200yen US $49.00 Buy It Now 15h 33m
Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention-Mothermania-Verve 5068-STEREO US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 33m
Frank Zappa/Mothers Live Fillmore East 1971 ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 15h 39m
FRANK ZAPPA - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF JA) US $7.34 Buy It Now 15h 39m
Frank Zappa- The History and Collected Improvisations of Frank Zappa US $999.00 [0 bids]
US $1,599.00 Buy It Now

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I reviews

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars This album and its eventual successor (Vol 2; they were later combined into a single 2-disc release, though the first disc is not just Vol 1 and the second disc is not just Vol 2) have one of the weirdest histories of any Zappa release. In early 1983, Frank decided to take some of his classical compositions (some new, some that had been recorded already on Orchestral Favorites) and give them to the London Symphony Orchestra, figuring he'd get some good recordings out of them. Instead Frank had an experience that helped eventually drive him away from using real orchestras for his classical pieces for almost a decade. Supposedly, there were all sorts of issues that resulted from the various performers not initially realizing they'd be playing fairly sophisticated material and not wanting to put in the necessary extra time to get recording- quality takes, which obviously kinda cheesed Frank off. Frank himself criticized these recordings quite a bit over the years, so this makes me feel a little better about the fact that I don't get a lot out of this album.

I'm guessing, though, that the reasons I don't like this album aren't the same as the reasons Frank didn't like it. It's not that I dislike classical in general, and it's not that I have a particular dislike of 20th-century classical; my favorite composer continues to be Stravinsky (from whom Frank draws heavy inspiration), and my favorite classical piece has long been The Rite of Spring. The problem I have, which I fully admit could be because I don't have as much knowledge of classical as I do of rock, is that I'm not sure what should distinguish these pieces, for better, from other modern classical pieces. "Pedro's Dowry" is basically the same piece that bored me on Orchestral Favorites, only slightly longer, so that doesn't help much. "Envelopes" is novel because it was originally a non-orchestral 'normal' instrumental, but if I didn't feel thrilled about it on Ship Arriving, why should I care about it here? I do admit that "Sad Jane" has quite a few effectively dramatic stretches, but "Mo'Nerb's Vacation" just sounds like average movie orchestral soundtrack music stretched out over 20 minutes, so what's the point?

I mean, I don't hate listening to this album, but I just don't see why I would ever have any need to listen to this album if it didn't have the Frank Zappa name on it. Given the choice between Zappa the clever "lowbrow" musician and Zappa the largely average "highbrow" composer, I could never ever choose the latter, which is why this can't get a good grade despite few overtly terrible moments. For completists only.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#381487) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 17, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This was the first of Frank Zappa's "serious" orchestral albums. The album consists of three pieces. The first two, Sad Jane, and the three movement Mo 'n Herb's Vacation highlight Zappa fascination with a few twentieth century classical composers, particularly Igor Stavinsky and Edgard Varèse. The third piece is Bogus Pomp, in this case a more developed version of some of the orcestral music from "200 Motels".

The music is pretty good for avant-garde classical, although the rocording is plagued with inconsistant miking (some instrument sections sound quite far away), and at times (and Zappa had complained about this), the musicians just didn't take the music seriously enough.

The best part are the percussion sections. Zappa brough along Chad Wackerman and Ed Mann from his band, and they provide some excitement to the album.

As such, the album is not prog rock at all, but still gets three stars from me.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#412227) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 06, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "London Symphony Orchestra Vol. I"