KETTLESPIDER

Studio Album, released in 2017

1. The Climber (2:24)
2. Circus (4:34)
3. Samsara (2:31)
4. Break The Safe Pt. 1 (3:18)
5. Anubis (7:16)
6. Life (6:06)
7. Rebirth (7:01)
8. Break The Safe Pt. 2 (4:18)

Total time 37:28

- Geoffrey Fyfe / keyboards, production & mixing
- Colin Andrews / bass
- Simon Wood / drums, percussion, production & mixing

With:
- Fabian Acuņa / trumpet (2,5)

Artwork: Rob Cotton

CD self-released (2017, Australia)

FLAC lossless download - Bandcamp.com

Thanks to black_diamond for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

KETTLESPIDER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KETTLESPIDER Kettlespider Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
AvadanteAvadante
CD Baby 2012

More places to buy KETTLESPIDER music online Buy KETTLESPIDER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

KETTLESPIDER Kettlespider ratings distribution

KETTLESPIDER Kettlespider reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
5 stars Solid, polished, refreshing heavy prog rock from Down Under.

1. "The Climber" (2:24) the opening thirty seconds reminds me of some of the classic rock songs of the 70s--Damn Yankees or Loverboy or somebody like that--but then it switches at the forty-five second mark to something more complicated, more prog rock-like, more metal-like. (8.5/10)

2. "Circus" (4:34) the jazzy, delicate, melodic central third is the prize here. (9/10)

3. "Samsara" (2:31) opens with acoustic guitar being gently picked before keys and the rest of the band join in on the weave. They manage to maintain a nice melodic sense throughout this medium-paced instrumental. (9/10)

4. "Break The Safe, Pt. 1" (3:18) opens delicately but then becomes quite in your face in a kind of King Crimson way. Over and over they kind of "trick" you into relaxing and enjoying their beautiful sound groove before they bring in the distorted guitars and power chords. The final odd-time-signatured section is nice. (8.5/10)

5. "Anubis" (7:16) this one has quite a RUSH-like sound and feel to my ears (think of the excellent instrumental music of "Subdivisions"). The shift at the end of the second minute to a gentle and spacious section is quite unexpected and interesting. Steven Wilson comes to mind. Then comes the gun at 3:05 and they're off to the races, breaking into a heavy metal guitar-shredding section that tries to turn jazzy but then gets funneled back into the heavy prog world until 4:15 when another tricky, quirky, almost avant/RIO switcheroo tries to take hold. Just kidding! We're still heavy progging! But that trumpet is trying to say otherwise. Damn the influence of that Latin lover! I like this song because of its tricks and turns, surprises and maintained high quality and high entertainment value. Well done, arachnids! (9.5/10)

6. "Life" (6:06) Djent! Now they're getting into my comfort zone! (Don't know why I love those djenty guitar chords.) But then they turn sharp left in the second minute, trying to trick me again, but, no, it's just a short cut into some heavy prog, semi-djented. Nice work on the batterie, by the way, Simon. And props go out to precision bass work of Colin Andrews. Loving the fourth and fifth minutes: much more humane! And the guitar "ascending" from out of the birth canal effect is brilliant! My favorite song on the album! (10/10)

7. "Rebirth" (7:01) Oh, oh! Are we in for some Norse Black Metal? O Dark :30 and I'm still not sure. Even the delicate soft interlude at the one minute mark has me on pins and needles. 1:40: Here it comes. It's building! 2:10: Oh! It's so cute! It's just a big Totoro! 3:00: or is it the bad Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? We'll know soon. 3:45: He's leaving! He's not going to kill us or destroy our city! He likes Nature! 4:30: And video games. He's social! He has a family! And friends! Aww! He was just looking for his own kind! And they're going to live happily ever after! Such a cinematic gem! (9/10)

8. "Break The Safe, Pt. 2" (4:18) Safe. Solid. Unbreakable. Cohesive. Even pretty. And hypnotic. Cool Devy Townsend ending. Likable and yet unspectacular. (9/10)

A five stars masterpiece of instrumental progressive rock music. While I see lots of potential for improvement--both is sound and composition--these guys are definitely on to something!

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Kettlespider have released a new 2017 album called "Kettlespider", a followup to their successful 2012 debut "Avadante". The album has eight tracks to make up the 8 legs of the estranged spider. The cover sat on the kitchen table for a while and scared my wife several times as she caught sight of the crouching spider. The packaging is effective enough, replete with a cool booklet with schematics on how to construct your own mechanical arachnid in 100 easy steps. The band make an attractive centrefold, but they keep their distance; that's personal space for you. They've also hidden their 4 wheel drive but the tyre tracks are still evident. The next page is the money shot of the band, then a shot of a scruffy dog, and the next pages show the band recording in shadows, looking for a light switch. Behind the CD is another spideriffic schematic.

It is a completely instrumental album from end to end with some heavy sounds juxtaposed by quiet reflective passages. The musicians are well accomplished, and a very tight unit, having played together for some time on other projects and Kettlespider adventures. The band play on this album like their life depended on it; Fyfe on keys and squiggly bits, Ashburn and Boyd-Gerny on axes, Andrews on boom bass, and Wood on drums and banging devices.

Kettlespider explode out of the blocks with a dynamic metal crunching blaster, "The Climber". It blows the gasket off the carboretter with a ton of staccato guitar punches and a relentless rhythm section. It is followed by the more complex "Circus" with soaring lead breaks and synth swirls. The jazz trumpet sounds augment the soundscape masterfully. "Samsara" flows along beautifully with acoustic guitar flourishes and infectious rhythms.

"Break the Safe Pt. 1" is a bone jarring keyboard workout with guitar blasts and thunderous drums. "Anubis" locks into hypnotic drum beats and a melodic lead guitar riff. It flows from heavy prog to a light refreshing mood, and swings into odd time signatures. Then it submerges into soft keyboards and glorious trumpets. The awesome lead fills and sporadic tempo shifts that keep the metronome swinging in crazy directions make this one of the best on the album.

"Life" blasts out of the speakers with hammered ferocity. There are compulsive percussion and bass lines to create a fractured rhythm, then a sweeping orchestral keyboard ignites the darkness. Time meter changes and galloping guitars competing with syncopated drums make this a definitive highlight.

"Rebirth" chugs along frenetically and breaks through the prog prison into wide open spaces of free form synth pads and bass. The wall of sound permeates the atmosphere. Then the bass gets impatient and starts its own rhythm, accompanied by sporadic guitar strumming, and a lead break with hammer-ons and pull-offs and sizzling string bends. A chilling high pitched synth whine screams in with another adrenaline pumping time sig. It is a fabulous track.

The eighth leg of the spider is "Break the Safe Pt.2" closing the album wonderfully with uptempo drums and guitar vibrations competing over the retro keyboard sound. It explodes into a paroxysm of keyboard wizardry and guitar excellence. It is a great way to cap off the album.

Overall, "Kettlespider" is adventurous prog with some heavy guitar replenished by orchestrated keyboards and a relentless rhythm section. Being an instrumental album it is up to the listener to engage in whatever way they seem fit. It could be a great album to throw on to kick back to after a heavy day, or could serve as a way to fire up the imagination as the music lifts the spirit and always comes across as exciting. The musicianship is excellent and innovative so vocals are not necessary. I can recommend this album from these Australian proggers without reservation. Take the Kettlespider test and taste for yourself.

5 stars Wow!!! I hadn't heard of Kettlespider before, yet there is a Facebook music group site that specifically is for Progressive Rock acts here in Australia. I have made comments on there and I was observed by one member of Kettlespider who, thankfully, asked me to have a listen to their latest ... (read more)

Report this review (#1823604) | Posted by Malekmoprog | Wednesday, November 15, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars So I have been following kettle spider boys on there progressive rock journey for several years now, I still remember the first time I saw these guys at the espy at least five years ago. A unforgettable performance to say the least. I have been a fan of progressive music for a very long time sin ... (read more)

Report this review (#1818726) | Posted by majinjosh75 | Thursday, November 2, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Last Monday, I had a rather amazing experience listening to the new album by Kettlespider. Having just moved house - and dealing with all of the stress that such a process entails, I went for a walk to the beach to unwind and de-stress. It is here that I first heard Kettlespider's new body of wo ... (read more)

Report this review (#1817505) | Posted by kosmokman | Monday, October 30, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A Spider's Journey After thoroughly enjoying Kettlespider's first album, Avadante, a wonderful instrumental concept album that told a compelling story about the battle for a soul at the point of death, I have been eagerly awaiting a follow-up. Earlier this year, the band teased us with their " ... (read more)

Report this review (#1816122) | Posted by PlanetRodentia2 | Wednesday, October 25, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's been a long time coming, but Melbourne Australia-based prog outfit Kettlespider have released their second full length album, aptly self-titled. While "Avadante", their 2012 first album, was immensely enjoyable, KS have really hit their stride with this newest release. Production qualit ... (read more)

Report this review (#1815811) | Posted by proggybeev | Tuesday, October 24, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KETTLESPIDER "Kettlespider"