TRANSCENDENTAL CIRCUS

Orpheus Nine

Orpheus Nine Transcendental Circus album cover

Buy ORPHEUS NINE Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Of Zygotes And Grace Notes (1:18)
2. Eightfold Way (6:47)
3. Fetish (8:31)
4. Hand Of Make-Believe (5:33)
5. No Illusions (4:24)
6. Age Of Rhyme And Reason (6:27)
7. Transcendental Circus I: Barcarolle Of Bedlam (5:31)
8. Transcendental Circus II: Hallowed Playground (4:14)
9. Transcendental Circus III: Intergalactic Clown Festival (3:00)
10. Transcendental Circus IV: Swimming In Our Four O'Clock Tea (2:51)
11. Transcendental Circus V: Not Within The Memory Of Elephants (3:01)
12. Transcendental Circus VI: Freak Tent Mausoleum (2:55)
13. Reaper's Carousel (3:47)
14. Sandcastles (6:01)
15. The Fall Of The House Of Keys (10:45)

Total time: 75:05

Search ORPHEUS NINE Transcendental Circus lyrics

Search ORPHEUS NINE Transcendental Circus tabs

- Jason Kresge / keyboards, lead vocals
- Matt Ullestad / guitars
- Tony Renda / bass, vocals
- Mark DeGregory / drums, vocals

CD Prog Cabin Records (2017 US)
CD Laser's Edge (2017 US)

Thanks to rivertree for the addition

ORPHEUS NINE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ORPHEUS NINE Transcendental Circus Music

More places to buy ORPHEUS NINE music online Buy ORPHEUS NINE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ORPHEUS NINE Transcendental Circus ratings distribution

ORPHEUS NINE Transcendental Circus reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
4 stars This is my first casual encounter with a transcendental circus! Obviously all went well so far. Eh ... I'm quite sure about that. Content-wise one will be faced with established figures like elephants, dragons, clowns, ghosts, wizzards and so on. Well balanced. No need to worry therefore. ORPHEUS NINE evolved from a solo vehicle, started by keyboarder/singer Jason Kresge, into a real band. Based on a heavy prog fundament their songs are showing diverse musical influences. And so it all developed into the approach to record an album which will offer a rock opera somehow. Which generally should live from, maybe let's say, entertainment, diversity, twists and turns, joy of playing ...

The album runs all around the epic title track, this visually appointed by the nice prog typical cover art. That song represents the planned core. And, not always with guarantee, you know, in this case the masterly highlight in the same way. Moreover one can say it's Jason's showpiece in particular, while being a Tour de force regarding his keyboard playing. A prominent cinematic respectively opera attitude, equipped with ambient and jazzy impressions, swirly synths, symphonic and classical sequences. Tricky! I would highlight the lovely excerpt Hallowed Playground first and foremost here.

One song may top this, in terms of more accessibility at least. Eightfold Way marks THE strong contender for spreading the word via diverse radio and internet broadcasts. A rather virtuoso finish, The Fall Of The House Of Keys then appears with classical and symphonic roots again. Excellent starter! While listening I'm feeling rather comfortable when occasionally visiting that intergalactic playground with all those festivals, mausoleums, carousels and sandcastles given. Sounds similar to Styx, Saga, Red Bazar in parts, but also further, I mean more eclectic bands in the vein of Tiles, Zip Tang for example. Now have a go at it!

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars A band that names the title of his album "Transcendental Circus" and where you can found some strange and funny titles in some of his songs must have a sense of humor that can only reflect in his music and lyrics. It starts with some bass lines and some upfront keyboards lines from master Jason Kresge. Then the music goes into an AOR/Neo-Prog vein before developing into more complex structures. We can hear many special effects coming from the keyboards. "Fetish" start like an acoustic Hackett style guitar just before bringing some guitar metal riffs with some classical arrangements. "Hand of Make Believe" has some guitar Rush/Tiles influences with some jazzy intrusions and again we are treated with some keyboards magic from Jason. "Age Of Rhyme And Reason" has some furious instrumental parts with a slow break that deliver some inspired Dream Theater parts. But the fun part of the album begins with that 22 minutes of "Transcendental Circus". The special effects of what we can hear in a circus are used and also the special keyboards sound of Geddy Lee in the song "Camera Eye", it can only be intentional... In this song, the band is trying to have the most fun possible by showing their craft and versatility with their instruments. We can hear tons of rhythms changes and Jason taking inspiration from Nathan Mahl, Glass Hammer, Keith Emerson depending on which sections the song is. There are some catchy riffs and some captivating drums fill throughout this epic and a music that goes to different moods from the dark side of metal and the lighter side of Jazz. Part V " Swimming In Our Four O'Clock Tea" brings again that acoustic Hackett guitar influence and some Hamydryad/Gentle Giant multi-part vocals style. The last song "The Fall of The House of Keys" is the only song where you feel that the band has slowed the pace down to take his time to develop the melody which gives more emotion to the music in this 10 minutes song. This is a strong debut from a band that has a lot of potentials, just hope for some more music soon.

5 stars I hate writing reviews but this is an underrated band that deserves more attention. A friend told me about their CD saying I would love the keyboards. I've heard enough shredders and figured I didn't really need another one in my collection, so I blew it off. Then a couple weeks later some guy o ... (read more)

Report this review (#1838927) | Posted by IStanBull | Monday, December 4, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ORPHEUS NINE "Transcendental Circus"