SMILE A WHILE

Brainstorm Smile A While  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRAINSTORM Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Das Schwein Truegt (4:40)
2. Zwick Zwick (4:40)
3. Watch Time Flow By (1:29)
4. Bosco Biati WeiB Alles (8:59)
5. Snakeskin Tango (2:20)
6. Smile A While (15:34)
7. You Are What's Gonna Make It Last (live) (3:31)
8. Don't Forget (live) (0:25)
9. Thesen & Antithesen (live) (14:01)
10. Einzug Der Elefanten (4:09)
11. You Knock Me Out (3:03)

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While lyrics

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While tabs

- Eddy van Overheidt / keyboards, vocals
- Rainer Bodensohn / flutes, bass
- Roland Schaffer / saxes, clarinet, bass, guitars
- Joe Koinzer / drums
- Harold Wagner / bass on 7, 8 and 9

LP Spiegelei 28505 (1972)

BRAINSTORM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRAINSTORM Smile A While Music

Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)
AFM Records 2014
1-2-3-4-GO! 2013
AmbiguityAmbiguity
Metal Blade Import 2000
Young Mc : Brainstorm CD (1991) US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Brainstorm by Young M.C. (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
BRAINSTORM - SMILE A WHILE 72 GERMAN PROG JAZZ ROCK CD+3 LIVE 71 SWF RADIO TRKS US $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Soul Promo 45 BRAINSTORM Loving Just You on Tabu (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Game Insane Brainstorm CD US $4.02 Buy It Now 4h 33m
BRAINSTORM HOT FOR YOU RARE 1979 MONO/STEREO DISCO PROMO 45 US $2.99 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL HYPNOSIS BRAINSTORM-BRAINSTORMING BRAIN STORM STORMING CREATIVITY AID US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Various Artists Brainstorm Biscuits CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Kirsty Maccoll - Tropical Brainstorm NEW CD US $10.57 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Brainstorm by Young MC (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records US $4.90 [0 bids]
Isaac Hayes / Brainstorm (5)- Ashley Beedle Re-Edit Series 001 12" US $12.04 Buy It Now 9h
BRAINSTORM Original Movie Soundtrack LP VG++ In Shrink US $39.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
BRAINSTORM heat waves LP SEALED tender loving empire NEW single sleeve 2012 US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
BRAINSTORM LOVING JUST YOU 1978 MODERN SOUL PROMO 45 HEAR IT NOW US $2.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM EVERYTIME I SEE YOU I GO WILD & LOVING JUST YOU 1978 MODERN SOUL PROM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Lord Finesse - Hip 2 Da Game / No Gimmicks (Brainstorm Remix) 12" Promo Buckwild US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
BRAINSTORM-STORMIN' +5-JAPAN CD B00E1CPX9Qhirata4 US $44.57 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Young Mc : Brainstorm CD (1991) US $2.80 Buy It Now 12h 20m
PATHOS Katharsis CD Power/Thrash/Prog: BRAINSTORM, SOLIWORK, DARK TRANQUILLITY US $13.99 Buy It Now 14h 45m
@ CD Brainstorm - Ambiguity GERMAN METAL / PROMO / METAL BLADE RECORDS 2000 US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 2m
TYRANT TOO LATE TO PRAY CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 ruthless cirith ungol omen US $0.99 [1 bids]
TYRANT LEGIONS OF THE DEAD CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 cirith ungol omen US $0.99 [1 bids]
CICERO BLAKE/Shing A Ling-Brainstorm WDJ HEAR US $16.59 [0 bids]
Brainstorm 4 cds Liquid Monster, Soul Temptation, Metus Mortis, Ambiguity US $40.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM BISCUITS-Joey Ramone-DIGHAYZOOSE-Deliverance-DANIEL AMOS-The 77's/Cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NORTHERN SOUL/MODERN-BRAINSTORM-WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY-TABU US $8.29 [0 bids]
Brainstorm / Downburst JAPAN+3 Helloween OOP!!!!! *E US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm "M.R The special techno ep "Tribal techno"TECHNO ELECTRONIC EP VG+ US $5.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm 2 "Tutti futi ep" TECHNO ELECTRONIC SINGLE SEALED NEW US $8.71 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM-JOURNEY TO THE LIGHT +4-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - we're on our way home part 1 / part 2 - TABU US $4.99 [0 bids]
Reflections, A Brainstorm Companion CD 1994 77s Lost Dogs Undercover Daniel Amos US $1.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm - Stormin (Bonus Tracks) [CD New] US $14.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Symphorce - Become Death (CD 2007) BRAINSTORM GOOD COND US $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Symphorce - Godspeed CD 2005 BRAINSTORM FREEDOM CALL MYSTIC PROPHECY DOWNSPIRIT US $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM Liquid Monster Excellent Power Metal CD+DVD LIMITED DELUXE EDITION US $2.99 [1 bids]
PUSHSTART WAGON - Squeaky Clean (CD 1998) Brainstorm Artists Intl US $2.09 [0 bids]
SOUNDTRACK: Brainstorm (soundtrack & cast vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM Metus Mortis JAPAN IMPORT 3 bonus tracks Power-Thrash Metal US $9.99 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL BRAINSTORMING-BRAINSTORM BRAIN STORM- BRAINWAVE MEDITATION TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Metus Mortis by Brainstorm (6~Metal '90s-'00s) (CD, Oct-2001, Metal Blade) US $9.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM JAMES HORNER SOUNDTRACK NM DIGITAL JAPAN '83 christopher walken OST!! US $99.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM DISCO FUNK 12-INCH LOVIN' IS REALLY MY GAME / STORMIN' TABU RECORDS US $6.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm by Young MC (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM-SOUL TEMPTATION-5 track snippet cd-2003 US $13.66 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM TWO Earth Zero OZ CD NEW Prog Space Rock US $13.98 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM-HEAT WAVES CD NEW US $12.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm - On The Spur Of The Moment (Ltd. Digipack) [CD New] US $29.96 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - MY STAR (3 TRK CD) (REF B1) US $4.97 Buy It Now 1 day
FREEMAN CHICO/BRAINSTORM - SWEET EXPLOSION - IORCD70102 US $21.06 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT - AFMCD360 US $21.69 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - Journey To The Light - CD US $16.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm ~ Funky Entertainment LP ~ Tabu ~ boogie funk US $7.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm ~ Journey To The Light LP ~ Tabu ~ WLP VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm ~ Stormin' LP ~ Tabu ~ VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
FREEMAN,CHICO / BRAINSTORM-SWEET EXPLOSION VINYL LP NEW US $25.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Freeman, Chico/Brainstorm-THRESHOLD VINYL LP NEW US $19.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Subway - Dangerous Games CD 1990 Brainstorm Aurophon Series US $89.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Hot For You 12" US $3.32 [0 bids]
VARIOUS ARTISTS: Ultra Dance (RCA) Incs: Odyssey, Brainstorm, Charme, +++ US $6.63 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW* Brainstorm - We're On Our Way Home *REPRESS* Limited Pressing!! US $33.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DyeWitness ?- Brainstorm (MIDTOWN 1996)(GABBER/GABBA/HARDCORE)(VG+ CONDITION) US $16.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm-Second Smile German prog psych cd 1 bonus track US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BROTHEREDGE - True Roll Model - CD, Christian pop/rap on Brainstorm/WAL/Word US $2.49 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE OSMONDS BRAINSTORM JAPAN PRESS with OBI / INSERT NM VINYL osmond brothers US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Game Insane Brainstorm CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (PRATA VETRA) Cassette - RUSSIA US $5.90 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM ( Prata Vetra) Latvian BAND - UKRAINIAN EMI - COMP / a Day Before ... US $15.92 Buy It Now 3 days
New: ARCTIC MONKEYS - Brainstorm CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm Lovin' is Really My Game Tabu Funk Northern Soul R&B 45 Record 7" US $27.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Demolition,Catalepsy,CD,CD Club Pressing,Heralds of Oblision,Mutilage,Brainstorm US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm - Firesoul (Black Vinyl) [Vinyl New] US $25.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM / SHOCKWAVE [2-track Demo] by Network Music SEALED CD, 1993 US $9.00 [0 bids]
Firesoul [4/15] by Brainstorm (6~Metal '90s-'00s) (Vinyl, Apr-2014, AFM Records) US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Melvin Moore "I've been watchin you - How does" Modern Soul R&B Brainstorm 45 US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM - THE OSMONDS (CASSETTE) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT [BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - NEW CD US $26.98 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - JUST HIGHS NO LOWS - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.83 Buy It Now 3 days
On The Spur Of The Moment - Brainstorm New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.51 Buy It Now 3 days
(BOX ONLY) HAWKWIND California Brainstorm *UNUSED* GRIFFIN BOX SET BOX US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm - Downburst [CD New] US $10.10 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" b/w don't let me catch you with your US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" b/w don't let me catch you with US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" promo b/w don't let me catch you with US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM STORMIN LP VG++ Tabu (Disco Funk) US $5.50 [0 bids]
OSMONDS brainstorm LP 10 track (2391236) uk polydor 1976 US $17.40 Buy It Now 3 days
SEVENTY SEVENS - TOM TOM BLUES (CD, 1995, Brainstorm) Classic Christian Rock! US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambiguity - Brainstorm (Metal) Promotional CD 2000 No jewel case US $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Soul NM! 45 BRAINSTORM Hot For You on Tabu US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
James Horner / London Symphony: Brainstorm Soundtrack LP VG++ USA US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm "Journey To The Light" 1995 Motown Used CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT NEW CD US $36.93 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM JOURNEY TO THE LIGHT~VG++ WHITE LABEL PROMO~TABU~DISCO~FUNK~BREAKS US $22.00 [0 bids]
Brainstorm By Young M.C. CD, 1991 Limited edition US $10.44 [0 bids]
"Downburst" by Brainstorm (CD, Jan-2008, Metal Blade Records) Heavy Metal! US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm - Liquid Monster (CD & DVD 2005) SYMPHORCE US $13.27 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM SELF-TITLED TABU 1977 Soul Funk Disco R&B Rock US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Adam Again "Perfecta" CD 1995 Brainstorm - Gene Eugene Lost Dogs US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM STORMIN' Tested 8 Track Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy BRAINSTORM music online Buy BRAINSTORM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRAINSTORM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRAINSTORM Smile A While ratings distribution

BRAINSTORM Smile A While reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars BRAINSTORM were a German Canterbury band... that's right kids... a German Canterbury band offering very complex songs dripping with fusion flute and saxophones performances. I would not recommend this album to anyone who does not love fusion as this album is pretty heavy in its core fusion delivery. BRAINSTORM take dimensions of SOFT MACHINE and whip in elements of CARAVAN, John COLTRANE and NATIONAL HEALTH. "Smile A While" was their first release under the name of BRAINSTORM but they were originally know as "Fashion Pink". This album is full of dynamic and inventive jazz influenced progressive rock and membership in the band includes the zainy GURU GURU band Member Roland Schaeffer.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#30717) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This has been featured on a number of ‘worst album cover’ lists over the years, and you can certainly see why. At least The Mothers of Invention had the decency to mostly cover themselves and restrict their photo to the chest up when they had a similar cover. I wonder if this is where the Go-Gos got the idea for their first album cover? One of these guys ended up in Guru Guru, another band known for tasteless album covers, which is not surprising I suppose.

The music is Canterbury, or at least it is as near as I can tell. Sort of a slightly-mad fusion kind of thing going on, which is largely how I hear Canterbury, so I suppose that fits. The musicians seem to have a sort of self-deprecating sense of humor, so I’ll give them credit for that.

According to the band’s notes they were previously known as Fashion Floyd as a sort of sick tribute to Pink Floyd, but changed their names, probably to avoid confusion (not!).

Nothing really to get excited about for the most part. “Bosco Biati WeiB Alles” features a drum solo, which is pretty weird for a fusion album. And the opening of “Snakeskin Tango” sounds like a singer whose crotch is caught in the mic stand grip. There are also a few live tracks which are comparatively more straightforward upbeat jazz with some pretty decent guitar work and a lot more vocals in a rather funky vein.

But overall this is clearly something that hasn’t held up well over time, and is probably best relegated to the collections of fans of the band (if there are any). And yes – I’ll admit I was only interested in this album to hear what kind of music would be covered by such a gaudy picture. Can’t say I’m overly surprised. Two stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#127480) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Review by BaldFriede
4 stars Brainstorm were a German band that played fusion with a sense of humour. This can clearly be heard on this album. They certainly did not take themselves too seriously. While I would not say these guys defined the genre in any new way, one has to keep in mind that it was still a pretty young genre back then. I personally like their second album better than their first; my favourites are Bosco Biati Weiss Alles and the Snakeskin Tango, which has some outrageous vocals at the beginning. The cover is simply hilarious; I don't know about the CD version, but the vinyl version had a lot more photos of them in their costumes on the backside, in which they sometimes assume ridiculous poses. 3.5 stars for this album; since I have the feeling this album has been done some injustice I will round it up to 4.

Send comments to BaldFriede (BETA) | Report this review (#160191) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars OK, cover of this album is absolutely terrible, we all can agree on this simple fact. But we don't listen prog because of image, right ? And about music, I can say that it's standard prog jazz (or Canterbury if you want), nothing special. With few nasty surprises, Zappa-like (supposed to be like) features and shouts of craziness., but done in a way that I can't admire so much. I wanted, but for that, this music would have to be more deep and interesting, so far, it's just randomly (so even it's not predictable, it's still plain) changing styles.

3(-), no, this is not the way how it should be done.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#248869) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

4 stars I consider BRAINSTORM and EIDER STELLAIRE as my two biggest discoveries of 2011. I must admit that I wasn't expecting much when I purchased BRAINSTORM's two studio albums mainly because of the low ratings on this site, which by the way leave me somewhat baffled. They were a German Jazz / Fusion band who began as FASHION PINK before changing their name to BRAINSTORM. It was a fairly new concept back then this idea of businessmen brainstorming ideas and they liked the meaning of that name in relation to their music. These guys were all virtuosos, playing the most complex passages with ease. It was when they were called FASHION PINK that the guys discovered the music of SOFT MACHINE, Frank Zappa, CARAVAN and the like and so they started to make more complex music. The keyboardist especially liked the sound of Mike Ratledge and Dave Stewart's distorted keyboards and promptly did the same with his.They also used echo effects and decided that what little vocals they did use would be in English. Now the album cover is controversial no doubt about it. It's one thing to dress-up like women ala Frank Zappa and MAX WEBSTER album covers both of which are hilarious, but to dress-up in women's undergarments ? I should mention that Roland the sax player would go on to play with both GURU GURU and EMBRYO.

"Das Schwein Trugt" hits the ground running and you gotta love the distortion. It settles before 1 1/2 minutes as the sax solos tastefully. It kicks back in at 3 1/2 minutes as we get some nasty organ that comes and goes. "Zwick Zwick" opens with the drums, flute and sax standing out. It's just a pleasure listening to each one of these guys play. The distorted organ after 3 minutes brings SOFT MACHINE to mind. "Watch Time Flow By" is a vocal track and he really sounds like his singing has been influenced by Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair. A beat with flute helps out. "Bosco Biati Weiss Alles" is Jazzy with prominant bass, sax, drums and more. A drum show 3 1/2 minutes in then some distorted organ 5 minutes in followed by a calm with vocal melodies. Nice. It kicks back in again as contrasts continue. We get an intense finish.

"Snakeship Tango" has some crazy sax then vocal expressions as a catchy soundscape takes over. "Smile A While" has these deep bass sounds with atmosphere to start. It picks up 1 1/2 minutes in and builds with the sax leading then flute. This is great ! Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in are brief then the flute leads again. More fuzz after 6 minutes. Nice. A calm before 8 1/2 minutes then the sax starts to lead. It settles with flute after 10 minutes and we get reserved vocals before 12 1/2 minutes in this laid back section. It kicks in again as he sings "Smile a while" and we get more fuzz late. Killer stuff. "You Are What's Gonna Make It Last" is catchy with vocals and some guitar too. I like it ! "Don't Forget" is the very short closing instrumental. I have to mention the first bonus track called "Thesen & Antithesen" because it sounds amazing and it goes on for 14 minutes.

A very solid 4 stars and one that SOFT MACHINE and MOVING GELATINE PLATES fans might want to check out. Enjoy the cover boys !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#579345) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 01, 2011

5 stars Brainstorm were one of the very first German jazz-rock bands i ever knew about-living in Canada, where the band is virtually unknown, having Smile A While was like connecting with a needle in a haystack. But, boy, do i feel lucky I stumbled across this brilliant gem.Though with one of the worst a ... (read more)

Report this review (#874226) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really a god job! I was searching for some recordings simillar to music that Soft Machine did in their "classic" years and that was IT. Simillar and still - very innovative. "Smile A While" (actually I did smiled after taking a quick glance on nic kitsch cover) starts with a nice blast of "Das ... (read more)

Report this review (#643011) | Posted by b-side | Wednesday, February 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Blooarrghh! I'm sorry, that was me being sick all over my Mac after looking at the front cover. What on earth were they thinking on??!! Easily the worst record sleeve in the history of music. I mean, for crying out loud, what they're wearing is what I found in my mums washing basket when I ... (read more)

Report this review (#299722) | Posted by Dobermensch | Sunday, September 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRAINSTORM "Smile A While "