SMILE A WHILE

Brainstorm Smile A While  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRAINSTORM Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Das Schwein Truegt (4:40)
2. Zwick Zwick (4:40)
3. Watch Time Flow By (1:29)
4. Bosco Biati WeiB Alles (8:59)
5. Snakeskin Tango (2:20)
6. Smile A While (15:34)
7. You Are What's Gonna Make It Last (live) (3:31)
8. Don't Forget (live) (0:25)
9. Thesen & Antithesen (live) (14:01)
10. Einzug Der Elefanten (4:09)
11. You Knock Me Out (3:03)

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While lyrics

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While tabs

- Eddy van Overheidt / keyboards, vocals
- Rainer Bodensohn / flutes, bass
- Roland Schaffer / saxes, clarinet, bass, guitars
- Joe Koinzer / drums
- Harold Wagner / bass on 7, 8 and 9

LP Spiegelei 28505 (1972)

BRAINSTORM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRAINSTORM Smile A While Music

Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)
AFM Records 2014
Funky EntertainmentFunky Entertainment
Tabu Demon 2013
BrainstormBrainstorm
Soundtrack
Varese Sarabande 1990
StorminStormin
Tabu Demon 2013
Unholy (+1 Bonus Track)Unholy (+1 Bonus Track)
Avalo 2000
Soul TemptationSoul Temptation
Metal Blade 2003
Journey to the LightJourney to the Light
1-2-3-4-GO! 2013
Brainstorm Hot For You 12" Single 1979 Tabu Shrink Vinyl Record US $3.79 Buy It Now 1h 51m
BRAINSTORM Soul Temptation CD 5 Track Promo In Card Sleeve GERMAN Metal Blade US $8.46 Buy It Now 2h 41m
BRAINSTORM Rock The House Move The Colours Help Me To Believe 12" MOBY 12YOBR24 US $12.90 Buy It Now 3h 4m
BRAINSTORM BISCUITS-Joey Ramone-DIGHAYZOOSE-Deliverance-DANIEL AMOS-The 77's/Cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
KIRSTY MACCOLL Tropical Brainstorm CD 5 Track Promo With Info Stickered Card Sle US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Brainstorm "M.R The special techno ep "Tribal techno"TECHNO ELECTRONIC EP VG+ US $4.76 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Brainstorm 2 "Tutti futi ep" TECHNO ELECTRONIC SINGLE SEALED NEW US $7.26 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Brainstorm ?- We're On Our Way Home US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Brainstorm - Stormin (Bonus Tracks) [CD New] US $14.46 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Symphorce - Become Death (CD 2007) BRAINSTORM GOOD COND US $4.83 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Symphorce - Godspeed CD 2005 BRAINSTORM FREEDOM CALL MYSTIC PROPHECY DOWNSPIRIT US $6.44 Buy It Now 8h 8m
BRAINSTORM-JOURNEY TO THE LIGHT +4-JAPAN CD D73 US $20.50 Buy It Now 8h 36m
SOUNDTRACK: Brainstorm (soundtrack & cast vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 10m
BRAINSTORM JAMES HORNER SOUNDTRACK NM DIGITAL JAPAN '83 christopher walken OST!! US $99.00 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Brainstorm by Young M.C. (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $1.99 Buy It Now 15h 51m
BRAINSTORM - EVERY TIME I SEE YOU, I GO WILD / LOVING JUST YOU 45 SINGLE VINYL US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h
BRAINSTORM-SOUL TEMPTATION-5 track snippet cd-2003 US $13.66 Buy It Now 18h 48m
BRAINSTORM SOUNDTRACK LP 474 US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 28m
BRAINSTORM TWO Earth Zero OZ CD NEW Prog Space Rock US $13.31 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Brainstorm - On The Spur Of The Moment (Fanbox Ed.) CD US $54.99 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Brainstorm - Smile A While CD US $20.79 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Brainstorm - On The Spur Of The Moment (Ltd. Digipack) [CD New] US $29.96 Buy It Now 21h 35m
FACTORY SEALED LP Brainstorm james Horner 1983 Varese Sarabande STV 81197 US $25.00 [0 bids]
"listen" BRAINSTORM - HOT FOR YOU 12" FUNKY DISCO 1979 US $6.44 Buy It Now 22h 10m
BRAINSTORM - MY STAR (3 TRK CD) (REF B1) US $4.83 Buy It Now 22h 49m
FREEMAN CHICO/BRAINSTORM - SWEET EXPLOSION - IORCD70102 US $19.48 Buy It Now 23h 41m
BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT - AFMCD360 US $20.51 Buy It Now 1 day
SFC Listen Up CD 1989 Brainstorm/Broken christian hip-hop rap sup the chemist US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TYRANT LEGIONS OF THE DEAD CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 cirith ungol omen US $1.29 [2 bids]
TYRANT TOO LATE TO PRAY CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 ruthless cirith ungol omen US $1.29 [2 bids]
Brainstorm / Downburst JAPAN+3 Helloween OOP!!!!! *E US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM SMILE A WHILE NEW CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm by Young MC (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.01 [0 bids]
Subway - Dangerous Games CD 1990 Brainstorm Aurophon Series US $89.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Clarence Reed & The Original Ensemble Press On Brainstorm 1508 7" 45 gospel US $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM JAMES HORNER SOUNDTRACK MINT VINYL DIGITAL STEREO LP RARE COVER US $49.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm CD Years And Seconds US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm Prata Vetra CD Vel Viena Klusa Daba US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm CD ????? ?? ?????? US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW* Brainstorm - We're On Our Way Home *REPRESS* Limited Pressing!! US $34.39 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM (FUNK GROUP) Wake Up And Be Somebody 7" B/w We Know A Place (pb0811) US $8.46 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM (FUNK GROUP) We're On Our Way Home 7" B/w Part 2 (zs85502) US Tabu 19 US $25.42 Buy It Now 1 day
DyeWitness ?- Brainstorm (MIDTOWN 1996)(GABBER/GABBA/HARDCORE)(VG+ CONDITION) US $16.13 Buy It Now 1 day
On the Spur of the Moment by Brainstorm (6~Metal '90s-'00s) (CD, Oct-2011,... US $5.00 [0 bids]
Squeaky Clean by Pushstart Wagon (CD, Oct-2004, Brainstorm Artists... US $2.00 [0 bids]
STEEL PROPHET Into The Void (Hallucinogenic Conception) CD BRAINSTORM ORG OOP 97 US $9.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM 'STORMIN' 1977 SOUL FUNK LP / RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Firesoul by Brainstorm (Vinyl, Apr-2014, AFM Records) US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Firesoul - Brainstorm US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LINGUA MORTIS ORCH. great BIG POSTER ! Rage/Unisonic/U.D.O./Axxis/Brainstorm/Dio US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE OSMONDS BRAINSTORM JAPAN PRESS with OBI / INSERT NM VINYL osmond brothers US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Game Insane Brainstorm CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - VARESE STV-81197 - "VERY RARE" - "SEALED" US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
~ BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT ~ MUSIC CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (PRATA VETRA) Cassette - RUSSIA US $5.90 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM ( Prata Vetra) Latvian BAND - UKRAINIAN EMI - COMP / a Day Before ... US $19.90 Buy It Now 2 days
New: ARCTIC MONKEYS - Brainstorm CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
SOUL 45 - BRAINSTORM - WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY - TOBU JB-10811 PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm Lovin' is Really My Game Tabu Funk Northern Soul R&B 45 Record 7" US $27.50 Buy It Now 2 days
KIRSTY MACCOLL 'TROPICAL BRAINSTORM' CD ALBUM 2000 US $1.60 [0 bids]
Polydor / Kolob Records The Osmonds BRAINSTORM lp,1976, NEAR MINT CONDITION TOO! US $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
SUBLIMINAL HYPNOSIS BRAINSTORM-BRAINSTORMING BRAIN STORM STORMING CREATIVITY AID US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Demolition,Catalepsy,CD,CD Club Pressing,Heralds of Oblision,Mutilage,Brainstorm US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Firesoul (Black Vinyl) [Vinyl New] US $25.98 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - THE OSMONDS (CASSETTE) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Melvin Moore "I've been watchin you - How does" Modern Soul R&B Brainstorm 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT [BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - NEW CD US $26.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Kirsty MacColl : Tropical Brainstorm CD (2006) US $4.55 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - JUST HIGHS NO LOWS - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.63 Buy It Now 2 days
On The Spur Of The Moment - Brainstorm New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.51 Buy It Now 2 days
(BOX ONLY) HAWKWIND California Brainstorm *UNUSED* GRIFFIN BOX SET BOX US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RESTLESS we rock the nation CD Rare hard to get Brainstorm Series Edit Victory US $45.00 [0 bids]
Brainstorm - Downburst [CD New] US $10.20 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" b/w don't le US $8.46 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" b/w don't let me catch you with your US $8.46 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" b/w don't let me catch you with US $8.46 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM (70'S POP GROUP) hot for you 7" promo b/w don't let me catch you with US $8.46 Buy It Now 2 days
SEVENTY SEVENS - TOM TOM BLUES (CD, 1995, Brainstorm) Classic Christian Rock! US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM,ALL THOSE WORDS,RARE/SALE CD SINGLE US $1.60 [0 bids]
Soul NM! 45 BRAINSTORM Hot For You on Tabu US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
James Horner / London Symphony: Brainstorm Soundtrack LP VG++ USA US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT NEW CD US $35.16 Buy It Now 3 days
"Downburst" by Brainstorm (CD, Jan-2008, Metal Blade Records) Heavy Metal! US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VARIOUS ARTISTS: Ultra Dance (RCA) Incs: Odyssey, Brainstorm, Charme, +++ US $6.06 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM Funky Entertainment TABU LP VG++/NM US $8.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM Journey To The Light TABU LP SEALED US $8.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM Stormin TABU LP NM/VG++ US $8.00 [0 bids]
Brainstorm - Liquid Monster (CD & DVD 2005) SYMPHORCE US $12.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Adam Again "Perfecta" CD 1995 Brainstorm - Gene Eugene Lost Dogs US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM STORMIN' Tested 8 Track Tape US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM - STORMIN' (CASSETTE) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT [BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - NEW CD US $15.19 Buy It Now 3 days
V/A- Reflections:A Brainstorm Companion (CD) 77s-Adam Again-Daniel Amos-441 US $5.24 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL BRAINSTORMING-BRAINSTORM BRAIN STORM- BRAINWAVE MEDITATION TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE THE OSMONDS BRAINSTORM RECORD LP VG+/VG++ shrink DONNY US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Manchester Orchestra-You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm CD EP NEW SEALED OOP 2005 US $39.99 [0 bids]
CHINCHILLA Madness CD: BRAINSTORM, SYMPHORCE, ELDRITCH, SQUEALER, PARAGON US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Lfo- Brainstorm- 12" Single- Dj Promo Copy- Techno US $4.85 Buy It Now 3 days
ICED EARTH Days Of Purgatory 2CD: HARROW, BRAINSTORM, IMAGIKA, CAGE, ENOLA GAY US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
IVANHOE Visions And Reality (CUT-OUT) CD ANDY B FRANCK: BRAINSTORM, SYMPHORCE US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy BRAINSTORM music online Buy BRAINSTORM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRAINSTORM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRAINSTORM Smile A While ratings distribution

BRAINSTORM Smile A While reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars BRAINSTORM were a German Canterbury band... that's right kids... a German Canterbury band offering very complex songs dripping with fusion flute and saxophones performances. I would not recommend this album to anyone who does not love fusion as this album is pretty heavy in its core fusion delivery. BRAINSTORM take dimensions of SOFT MACHINE and whip in elements of CARAVAN, John COLTRANE and NATIONAL HEALTH. "Smile A While" was their first release under the name of BRAINSTORM but they were originally know as "Fashion Pink". This album is full of dynamic and inventive jazz influenced progressive rock and membership in the band includes the zainy GURU GURU band Member Roland Schaeffer.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#30717) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This has been featured on a number of ‘worst album cover’ lists over the years, and you can certainly see why. At least The Mothers of Invention had the decency to mostly cover themselves and restrict their photo to the chest up when they had a similar cover. I wonder if this is where the Go-Gos got the idea for their first album cover? One of these guys ended up in Guru Guru, another band known for tasteless album covers, which is not surprising I suppose.

The music is Canterbury, or at least it is as near as I can tell. Sort of a slightly-mad fusion kind of thing going on, which is largely how I hear Canterbury, so I suppose that fits. The musicians seem to have a sort of self-deprecating sense of humor, so I’ll give them credit for that.

According to the band’s notes they were previously known as Fashion Floyd as a sort of sick tribute to Pink Floyd, but changed their names, probably to avoid confusion (not!).

Nothing really to get excited about for the most part. “Bosco Biati WeiB Alles” features a drum solo, which is pretty weird for a fusion album. And the opening of “Snakeskin Tango” sounds like a singer whose crotch is caught in the mic stand grip. There are also a few live tracks which are comparatively more straightforward upbeat jazz with some pretty decent guitar work and a lot more vocals in a rather funky vein.

But overall this is clearly something that hasn’t held up well over time, and is probably best relegated to the collections of fans of the band (if there are any). And yes – I’ll admit I was only interested in this album to hear what kind of music would be covered by such a gaudy picture. Can’t say I’m overly surprised. Two stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#127480) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Review by BaldFriede
4 stars Brainstorm were a German band that played fusion with a sense of humour. This can clearly be heard on this album. They certainly did not take themselves too seriously. While I would not say these guys defined the genre in any new way, one has to keep in mind that it was still a pretty young genre back then. I personally like their second album better than their first; my favourites are Bosco Biati Weiss Alles and the Snakeskin Tango, which has some outrageous vocals at the beginning. The cover is simply hilarious; I don't know about the CD version, but the vinyl version had a lot more photos of them in their costumes on the backside, in which they sometimes assume ridiculous poses. 3.5 stars for this album; since I have the feeling this album has been done some injustice I will round it up to 4.

Send comments to BaldFriede (BETA) | Report this review (#160191) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars OK, cover of this album is absolutely terrible, we all can agree on this simple fact. But we don't listen prog because of image, right ? And about music, I can say that it's standard prog jazz (or Canterbury if you want), nothing special. With few nasty surprises, Zappa-like (supposed to be like) features and shouts of craziness., but done in a way that I can't admire so much. I wanted, but for that, this music would have to be more deep and interesting, so far, it's just randomly (so even it's not predictable, it's still plain) changing styles.

3(-), no, this is not the way how it should be done.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#248869) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

4 stars I consider BRAINSTORM and EIDER STELLAIRE as my two biggest discoveries of 2011. I must admit that I wasn't expecting much when I purchased BRAINSTORM's two studio albums mainly because of the low ratings on this site, which by the way leave me somewhat baffled. They were a German Jazz / Fusion band who began as FASHION PINK before changing their name to BRAINSTORM. It was a fairly new concept back then this idea of businessmen brainstorming ideas and they liked the meaning of that name in relation to their music. These guys were all virtuosos, playing the most complex passages with ease. It was when they were called FASHION PINK that the guys discovered the music of SOFT MACHINE, Frank Zappa, CARAVAN and the like and so they started to make more complex music. The keyboardist especially liked the sound of Mike Ratledge and Dave Stewart's distorted keyboards and promptly did the same with his.They also used echo effects and decided that what little vocals they did use would be in English. Now the album cover is controversial no doubt about it. It's one thing to dress-up like women ala Frank Zappa and MAX WEBSTER album covers both of which are hilarious, but to dress-up in women's undergarments ? I should mention that Roland the sax player would go on to play with both GURU GURU and EMBRYO.

"Das Schwein Trugt" hits the ground running and you gotta love the distortion. It settles before 1 1/2 minutes as the sax solos tastefully. It kicks back in at 3 1/2 minutes as we get some nasty organ that comes and goes. "Zwick Zwick" opens with the drums, flute and sax standing out. It's just a pleasure listening to each one of these guys play. The distorted organ after 3 minutes brings SOFT MACHINE to mind. "Watch Time Flow By" is a vocal track and he really sounds like his singing has been influenced by Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair. A beat with flute helps out. "Bosco Biati Weiss Alles" is Jazzy with prominant bass, sax, drums and more. A drum show 3 1/2 minutes in then some distorted organ 5 minutes in followed by a calm with vocal melodies. Nice. It kicks back in again as contrasts continue. We get an intense finish.

"Snakeship Tango" has some crazy sax then vocal expressions as a catchy soundscape takes over. "Smile A While" has these deep bass sounds with atmosphere to start. It picks up 1 1/2 minutes in and builds with the sax leading then flute. This is great ! Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in are brief then the flute leads again. More fuzz after 6 minutes. Nice. A calm before 8 1/2 minutes then the sax starts to lead. It settles with flute after 10 minutes and we get reserved vocals before 12 1/2 minutes in this laid back section. It kicks in again as he sings "Smile a while" and we get more fuzz late. Killer stuff. "You Are What's Gonna Make It Last" is catchy with vocals and some guitar too. I like it ! "Don't Forget" is the very short closing instrumental. I have to mention the first bonus track called "Thesen & Antithesen" because it sounds amazing and it goes on for 14 minutes.

A very solid 4 stars and one that SOFT MACHINE and MOVING GELATINE PLATES fans might want to check out. Enjoy the cover boys !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#579345) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 01, 2011

5 stars Brainstorm were one of the very first German jazz-rock bands i ever knew about-living in Canada, where the band is virtually unknown, having Smile A While was like connecting with a needle in a haystack. But, boy, do i feel lucky I stumbled across this brilliant gem.Though with one of the worst a ... (read more)

Report this review (#874226) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really a god job! I was searching for some recordings simillar to music that Soft Machine did in their "classic" years and that was IT. Simillar and still - very innovative. "Smile A While" (actually I did smiled after taking a quick glance on nic kitsch cover) starts with a nice blast of "Das ... (read more)

Report this review (#643011) | Posted by b-side | Wednesday, February 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Blooarrghh! I'm sorry, that was me being sick all over my Mac after looking at the front cover. What on earth were they thinking on??!! Easily the worst record sleeve in the history of music. I mean, for crying out loud, what they're wearing is what I found in my mums washing basket when I ... (read more)

Report this review (#299722) | Posted by Dobermensch | Sunday, September 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRAINSTORM "Smile A While "