SMILE A WHILE

Brainstorm Smile A While  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRAINSTORM Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Das Schwein Truegt (4:40)
2. Zwick Zwick (4:40)
3. Watch Time Flow By (1:29)
4. Bosco Biati WeiB Alles (8:59)
5. Snakeskin Tango (2:20)
6. Smile A While (15:34)
7. You Are What's Gonna Make It Last (live) (3:31)
8. Don't Forget (live) (0:25)
9. Thesen & Antithesen (live) (14:01)
10. Einzug Der Elefanten (4:09)
11. You Knock Me Out (3:03)

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While lyrics

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While tabs

- Eddy van Overheidt / keyboards, vocals
- Rainer Bodensohn / flutes, bass
- Roland Schaffer / saxes, clarinet, bass, guitars
- Joe Koinzer / drums
- Harold Wagner / bass on 7, 8 and 9

LP Spiegelei 28505 (1972)

BRAINSTORM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRAINSTORM Smile A While Music

Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)
AFM Records 2014
Liquid MonsterLiquid Monster
Metal Blade 2005
Funky EntertainmentFunky Entertainment
Tabu Demon 2013
VECTOM "Speed revolution" ORG cd Brainstorm 90,Necronomicon,Darkness US $84.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Reflections, A Brainstorm Companion CD 1994 77s Lost Dogs Undercover Daniel Amos US $1.99 [0 bids]
ROY HYTOWER You Pleases Me / Your Good Man Is Going Bad 45 Brainstorm 127 US $5.00 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL HYPNOSIS BRAINSTORM-BRAINSTORMING BRAIN STORM STORMING CREATIVITY AID US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
BRAINSTORM-JOURNEY TO THE LIGHT +4-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 21m
1979 BRAINSTORM LP on TABU Funky Entertainment MOD SOUL BOOGIE FUNK US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
James Horner, "Brainstorm" Original - Motion Picture Score US $5.99 [0 bids]
Ambiguity by Brainstorm CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
Young Mc : Brainstorm CD PLATZ 3700 US $4.57 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Perfecta by Adam Again (CD, 1995, Brainstorm) US $8.90 Buy It Now 9h 20m
BRAINSTORM - FIRESOUL (BLACK) (VINYL) NEW VINYL US $33.10 Buy It Now 9h 29m
BRAINSTORM: Early In The Morning (soul vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 7m
MCCOY - BRAINSTORM NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 13h 28m
BRAINSTORM SOUNDTRACK LP 474 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 12m
BRAINSTORM - Memorial Roots, CD AFM 2009 Brand NEW Sealed US $9.00 Buy It Now 16h 24m
Brainstorm / Steppin' Out * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $15.97 Buy It Now 20h
THE EMOTIONS I Can't Stand No More Heart Aches NORTHERN SOUL 45 on BRAINSTORM US $7.99 [0 bids]
YOUNG MC - Brainstorm - Excellent Condition LP Record Capitol C1-96337 US $14.66 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAIN STORM CD A SEPARATE REALITY BRAINSTORM 1994 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Eurovision Song Contest CD - Latvia 2000 - Brainstorm - My Stará US $1.61 [0 bids]
RED HOT & WHITE 2 hardcore CD 1992 JONNY L SONZ OF A LOOP DA LOOP ERA BRAINSTORM US $5.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm: Memorial Roots CD 2009 AFM Icarus Records Import ICARUS 592 US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm: Ambiguity CD 2000 Metal Blade Records US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm: Liquid Monster CD 2005 Metal Blade Records US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm by Young MC (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.01 [0 bids]
NM RARE HOUSE DJ DANCE MIX 12" TONY CORBEN - ERIA FACHIN TIME / BRAINSTORM US $19.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM - HUNGRY NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - UNHOLY NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 1 day
SUBLIMINAL BRAINSTORMING-BRAINSTORM BRAIN STORM- BRAINWAVE MEDITATION TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Young Mc, Brainstorm Audio Cassette US $5.48 Buy It Now 1 day
ARCTIC MONKEYS : Brainstorm 10" VINYL shrink wrap US $14.99 [0 bids]
MAYDAY PARADE - Brainstorm:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $26.82 Buy It Now 1 day
70's Soul Funk 45 Brainstorm Hot For You on Tabu PROMO M- HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM "Lovin' Is Really My Game" 70s disco soul 45 on TABU orig nice! HEAR US $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Lfo- Brainstorm- 12" Single- Dj Promo Copy- Techno US $3.49 [0 bids]
Young M.C. - Brainstorm 1991 JAPAN CD+1Bonus W/OBI 34-2 US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM,ALL THOSE WORDS,RARE/SALE CD SINGLE US $1.61 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM - Overkill LP very rare German Metal 4 track EP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare CD DARKNESS-Death Squad 1st pres.Aurophon Brainstorm Series US $29.99 [1 bids]
Brainstorm ~ Stormin' LP ~ Tabu ~ VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM (2000'S ARTIST) maybe 12" 4 trk bth extended remix promo in special s US $8.14 Buy It Now 1 day
45 BRAINSTORM "HOT FOR YOU" US $1.99 [0 bids]
ARCTIC MONKEYS BRAINSTORM 7" UK US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
1979 12" Vinyl Record SINGLE : BRAINSTORM " Hot For You " TABU 2Z8-5515 US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - HEAT WAVES NEW CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 2 days
FUNK 45RPM -JIMBO JACKSON & VIOLATORS-BRAINSTORM 134 US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Unholy (Re-Issue) [CD New] US $18.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Ambiguity [CD New] US $7.48 Buy It Now 2 days
WESTWORLD everthing good is bad 12" 4 trk b/w brainstorm mix, original mix and h US $8.14 Buy It Now 2 days
WESTWORLD everything good is bad 12" everything good is mad b/w brainstorm mix, US $8.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Roy Hytower you pleases me/your good man is going bad 7" vinyl Brainstorm Record US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - AMBIGUITY NEW CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM: Hot For You / Don't Let Me Catch You With Your Groove Down US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
YOUNG M.C. - Brainstorm CD, 1991, old skool hip-hop,VG+ US $2.24 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM "LOVIN REALLY IS MY GAME" [MIRACLE] 1977 RED VINYL 12" US $16.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Farmer Boys [Tarja, Brainstorm]- The Other Side (Nuclear Blast Metal CD - 2004) US $4.88 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM "HOT FOR YOU"/ "DON'T LET ME CATCH YOU WITH YOUR GROOVE US $3.99 [0 bids]
Roy Hytower You Pleases Me / Your Good Man Brainstorm 127 Northern Soul Mint- US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - Firesoul LP New SEALED AFM metal black vinyl US $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM SOUL TEMPTATION SPECIAL RUSSIA EDITION FONO VERY RARE POWER METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM AMBIGUITY SPECIAL RUSSIA EDITION FONO VERY RARE POWER METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Daniel Amos Kalhoun 1991 Brainstorm Artists Christian Rock BAI US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IDOL KING Explosion 2.0.0.0 (2000) 1991 Brainstorm Artists Factory Sealed NEW CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Unholy (Re-Issue) CD US $20.12 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - SMILE A WHILE [BRAINSTORM] - NEW CD US $14.73 Buy It Now 2 days
LFO ~ Brainstorm ~ 12" Single US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
DA LICK CREW Da Lick 001 UK jungle drum bass Bizzy B Lionist Brainstorm US $19.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM MEMORIAL ROOTS SEALED CD NEW US $5.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Pushstart Wagon - Squeaky Clean (CD, Oct-2004, Brainstorm) MINT #Q443 US $3.99 [0 bids]
KIRSTY MacCOLL - TROPICAL BRAINSTORM 2000 UK REMASTERED CD * NEW * US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Russian Rock Sale - Bi-2 "Inomarki" CD Chaif Brainstorm O. Chexov US $1.50 [0 bids]
Soul Brainstorm Lovin' Is Really My Game Tabu 45 RPM From 1977 US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM - Downburst (CD) NEW SEALED US $10.39 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM Film Soundtrack LP 1983 JAMES HORNER Natalie Wood Chris Walken UK TER US $35.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Northern Soul 45 THE EMOTIONS Cant Stand No More Heartaches BRAINSTORM EX KILLER US $18.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm-Last Smile German prog psych cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm - Hungry (Re-Issue) [CD New] US $20.98 Buy It Now 3 days
On the Spur of the Moment by Brainstorm (6~Metal '90s-'00s) (CD, Oct-2011,... US $5.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM Journey To The Light Tabu Expanded Edition (CD 2013) bonus tracks NEW US $11.08 Buy It Now 3 days
OSMONDS - BRAINSTORM / STEPPIN OUT NEW CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Metus Mortis by Brainstorm (6~Metal '90s-'00s) (CD, Oct-2001, Metal Blade) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm - On The Spur Of The Moment [CD New] US $16.92 Buy It Now 3 days
?YOUNG MC Brainstorm 1991 Ft 'That's Way Love Goes'WEST COAST Rap Rare CD? US $0.80 [0 bids]
Rare Metal CD STEEL PROPHET The Godess Principle ORG Brainstorm Division US $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM-FUNKY ENTERTAINMENT +1-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM-STORMIN' +5-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM:ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT US $11.40 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM:SMILE A WHILE+3/PROG US $11.40 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm "Lovin is really my game" Modern Soul Boogie Tabu Records 45 US $10.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Ambiguity - Brainstorm (Metal) Promotional CD 2000 No jewel case US $3.00 [0 bids]
KIRSTY MacCOLL - Tropical Brainstorm (2000 13 trk CD album) US $8.14 [0 bids]
various BRAINSTORM BISCUITS alt rock CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Rare CD CARRION-Evil Is There! 1st pres. Aurophon Brainstorm Series US $29.99 [2 bids]
Brainstorm - Firesoul (ltd. + Bonus Live Cd) NEW CD Digi US $23.32 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm-Journey To The Light (1978) Tabu Re-Reborn 2013, Deluxe Edition, New US $8.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT NEW CD US $21.03 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm - Firesoul NEW CD US $21.02 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM**MEMORIAL ROOTS (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $22.26 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm ?- Hot For You 12" PROMO~NM~1979 TABU RECORDS US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Adam Again "Perfecta" CD 1995 Brainstorm - Gene Eugene Lost Dogs US $7.95 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy BRAINSTORM music online Buy BRAINSTORM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRAINSTORM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRAINSTORM Smile A While ratings distribution

BRAINSTORM Smile A While reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars BRAINSTORM were a German Canterbury band... that's right kids... a German Canterbury band offering very complex songs dripping with fusion flute and saxophones performances. I would not recommend this album to anyone who does not love fusion as this album is pretty heavy in its core fusion delivery. BRAINSTORM take dimensions of SOFT MACHINE and whip in elements of CARAVAN, John COLTRANE and NATIONAL HEALTH. "Smile A While" was their first release under the name of BRAINSTORM but they were originally know as "Fashion Pink". This album is full of dynamic and inventive jazz influenced progressive rock and membership in the band includes the zainy GURU GURU band Member Roland Schaeffer.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#30717) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This has been featured on a number of ‘worst album cover’ lists over the years, and you can certainly see why. At least The Mothers of Invention had the decency to mostly cover themselves and restrict their photo to the chest up when they had a similar cover. I wonder if this is where the Go-Gos got the idea for their first album cover? One of these guys ended up in Guru Guru, another band known for tasteless album covers, which is not surprising I suppose.

The music is Canterbury, or at least it is as near as I can tell. Sort of a slightly-mad fusion kind of thing going on, which is largely how I hear Canterbury, so I suppose that fits. The musicians seem to have a sort of self-deprecating sense of humor, so I’ll give them credit for that.

According to the band’s notes they were previously known as Fashion Floyd as a sort of sick tribute to Pink Floyd, but changed their names, probably to avoid confusion (not!).

Nothing really to get excited about for the most part. “Bosco Biati WeiB Alles” features a drum solo, which is pretty weird for a fusion album. And the opening of “Snakeskin Tango” sounds like a singer whose crotch is caught in the mic stand grip. There are also a few live tracks which are comparatively more straightforward upbeat jazz with some pretty decent guitar work and a lot more vocals in a rather funky vein.

But overall this is clearly something that hasn’t held up well over time, and is probably best relegated to the collections of fans of the band (if there are any). And yes – I’ll admit I was only interested in this album to hear what kind of music would be covered by such a gaudy picture. Can’t say I’m overly surprised. Two stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#127480) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Review by BaldFriede
4 stars Brainstorm were a German band that played fusion with a sense of humour. This can clearly be heard on this album. They certainly did not take themselves too seriously. While I would not say these guys defined the genre in any new way, one has to keep in mind that it was still a pretty young genre back then. I personally like their second album better than their first; my favourites are Bosco Biati Weiss Alles and the Snakeskin Tango, which has some outrageous vocals at the beginning. The cover is simply hilarious; I don't know about the CD version, but the vinyl version had a lot more photos of them in their costumes on the backside, in which they sometimes assume ridiculous poses. 3.5 stars for this album; since I have the feeling this album has been done some injustice I will round it up to 4.

Send comments to BaldFriede (BETA) | Report this review (#160191) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars OK, cover of this album is absolutely terrible, we all can agree on this simple fact. But we don't listen prog because of image, right ? And about music, I can say that it's standard prog jazz (or Canterbury if you want), nothing special. With few nasty surprises, Zappa-like (supposed to be like) features and shouts of craziness., but done in a way that I can't admire so much. I wanted, but for that, this music would have to be more deep and interesting, so far, it's just randomly (so even it's not predictable, it's still plain) changing styles.

3(-), no, this is not the way how it should be done.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#248869) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

4 stars I consider BRAINSTORM and EIDER STELLAIRE as my two biggest discoveries of 2011. I must admit that I wasn't expecting much when I purchased BRAINSTORM's two studio albums mainly because of the low ratings on this site, which by the way leave me somewhat baffled. They were a German Jazz / Fusion band who began as FASHION PINK before changing their name to BRAINSTORM. It was a fairly new concept back then this idea of businessmen brainstorming ideas and they liked the meaning of that name in relation to their music. These guys were all virtuosos, playing the most complex passages with ease. It was when they were called FASHION PINK that the guys discovered the music of SOFT MACHINE, Frank Zappa, CARAVAN and the like and so they started to make more complex music. The keyboardist especially liked the sound of Mike Ratledge and Dave Stewart's distorted keyboards and promptly did the same with his.They also used echo effects and decided that what little vocals they did use would be in English. Now the album cover is controversial no doubt about it. It's one thing to dress-up like women ala Frank Zappa and MAX WEBSTER album covers both of which are hilarious, but to dress-up in women's undergarments ? I should mention that Roland the sax player would go on to play with both GURU GURU and EMBRYO.

"Das Schwein Trugt" hits the ground running and you gotta love the distortion. It settles before 1 1/2 minutes as the sax solos tastefully. It kicks back in at 3 1/2 minutes as we get some nasty organ that comes and goes. "Zwick Zwick" opens with the drums, flute and sax standing out. It's just a pleasure listening to each one of these guys play. The distorted organ after 3 minutes brings SOFT MACHINE to mind. "Watch Time Flow By" is a vocal track and he really sounds like his singing has been influenced by Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair. A beat with flute helps out. "Bosco Biati Weiss Alles" is Jazzy with prominant bass, sax, drums and more. A drum show 3 1/2 minutes in then some distorted organ 5 minutes in followed by a calm with vocal melodies. Nice. It kicks back in again as contrasts continue. We get an intense finish.

"Snakeship Tango" has some crazy sax then vocal expressions as a catchy soundscape takes over. "Smile A While" has these deep bass sounds with atmosphere to start. It picks up 1 1/2 minutes in and builds with the sax leading then flute. This is great ! Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in are brief then the flute leads again. More fuzz after 6 minutes. Nice. A calm before 8 1/2 minutes then the sax starts to lead. It settles with flute after 10 minutes and we get reserved vocals before 12 1/2 minutes in this laid back section. It kicks in again as he sings "Smile a while" and we get more fuzz late. Killer stuff. "You Are What's Gonna Make It Last" is catchy with vocals and some guitar too. I like it ! "Don't Forget" is the very short closing instrumental. I have to mention the first bonus track called "Thesen & Antithesen" because it sounds amazing and it goes on for 14 minutes.

A very solid 4 stars and one that SOFT MACHINE and MOVING GELATINE PLATES fans might want to check out. Enjoy the cover boys !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#579345) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 01, 2011

5 stars Brainstorm were one of the very first German jazz-rock bands i ever knew about-living in Canada, where the band is virtually unknown, having Smile A While was like connecting with a needle in a haystack. But, boy, do i feel lucky I stumbled across this brilliant gem.Though with one of the worst a ... (read more)

Report this review (#874226) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really a god job! I was searching for some recordings simillar to music that Soft Machine did in their "classic" years and that was IT. Simillar and still - very innovative. "Smile A While" (actually I did smiled after taking a quick glance on nic kitsch cover) starts with a nice blast of "Das ... (read more)

Report this review (#643011) | Posted by b-side | Wednesday, February 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Blooarrghh! I'm sorry, that was me being sick all over my Mac after looking at the front cover. What on earth were they thinking on??!! Easily the worst record sleeve in the history of music. I mean, for crying out loud, what they're wearing is what I found in my mums washing basket when I ... (read more)

Report this review (#299722) | Posted by Dobermensch | Sunday, September 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRAINSTORM "Smile A While "