SMILE A WHILE

Brainstorm Smile A While  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRAINSTORM Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Das Schwein Truegt (4:40)
2. Zwick Zwick (4:40)
3. Watch Time Flow By (1:29)
4. Bosco Biati WeiB Alles (8:59)
5. Snakeskin Tango (2:20)
6. Smile A While (15:34)
7. You Are What's Gonna Make It Last (live) (3:31)
8. Don't Forget (live) (0:25)
9. Thesen & Antithesen (live) (14:01)
10. Einzug Der Elefanten (4:09)
11. You Knock Me Out (3:03)

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While lyrics

Search BRAINSTORM Smile A While tabs

- Eddy van Overheidt / keyboards, vocals
- Rainer Bodensohn / flutes, bass
- Roland Schaffer / saxes, clarinet, bass, guitars
- Joe Koinzer / drums
- Harold Wagner / bass on 7, 8 and 9

LP Spiegelei 28505 (1972)

BRAINSTORM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRAINSTORM Smile A While Music

Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)Firesoul (2CD digipak edition)
AFM Records 2014
1-2-3-4-GO! 2013
Memorial RootsMemorial Roots
AFM Records 2010
Brainstorm 45 Wake Up & Be Somebody / We know (Soul) NM US $8.00 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM (EURO ROCK GROUP) soul temptation CD 5 track promo in card sleeve (39 US $8.53 Buy It Now 7h 24m
BRAINSTORM rare soundtrack LP James Horner Aussie Festival press 80s sci-fi OST US $4.95 [0 bids]
TYRANT LEGIONS OF THE DEAD CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 cirith ungol omen US $1.04 [2 bids]
TYRANT TOO LATE TO PRAY CD BRAINSTORM DIVISION 1996 ruthless cirith ungol omen US $3.25 [3 bids]
Brainstorm - Downburst NEW CD US $14.04 Buy It Now 9h 53m
YOUNG M.C. -STONE COLD RHYMIN'+ I COME OFF+ BRAINSTORM---3 CD'S--DELICIOUS VINYL US $3.00 Buy It Now 9h 55m
BRAINSTORM Hot For You b/w Don't Let Me Catch You With Your Groove STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
KIRSTY MACCOLL tropical brainstorm CD 5 track promo with info stickered card sle US $8.53 Buy It Now 13h 3m
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - METUS MORTIS - NEW CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Tutti Frutti Tutti Frutti EP 12" Brainstorm 1993 US $20.50 Buy It Now 14h 47m
BRAINSTORM Smile A While CD Roland Schaeffer xtra traks US $17.99 Buy It Now 16h 18m
BRAINSTORM - Firesoul ((+2) Ltd POWER METAL 2CD-Issue/SEALED/Digipak/BRAND NEW US $6.99 [2 bids]
Brainstorm-1983-Original Movie Soundtrack-LP US $18.71 Buy It Now 19h 24m
Brainstorm ?- Hot For You 12" PROMO~NM~1979 TABU RECORDS US $2.99 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL BRAINSTORMING-BRAINSTORM BRAIN STORM- BRAINWAVE MEDITATION TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 20h 29m
Freeman,Chico & Brainstorm - Threshold 2012 [CD New] US $17.98 Buy It Now 21h 12m
Brainstorm by Young MC (CD, Aug-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.25 [0 bids]
DYNAZTY RENATUS JAPAN CD + 1 CRAZYLIXX BRAINSTORM H.E.A.T CRASHDIET XYZ DOKKEN US $22.00 Buy It Now 21h 49m
BRAINSTORM "Stormin'" LP (Funk/Soul) 1977 TABU PROMO 1st Pressing BQL1-2048 NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
James Horner Brainstorm OST LP Sealed TER1074 1983 UK US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY..U.K RCA RECORDS US $10.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Young Mc : Brainstorm CD (1991) US $4.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Journey To The Light Brainstorm E449410 Very Good Audio CD US $6.94 Buy It Now 1 day
THE EMOTIONS-I CAN'T STAND NO MORE HEART ACHES-ORIG. U.S BRAINSTORM RECORDS 45 US $20.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Brainstorm / ShockWave [2-track Demo] by Network Music (CD, 1993) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DISCO / FUNK 45 - BRAINSTORM - WE'RE ON OUR WAY HOME,PARTS 1&2 - 1978 - N / M ! US $1.59 [0 bids]
Brainstorm - Ambiguity CD 2000 NEMS 204 METAL RULES US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ARCTIC MONKEYS BRAINSTORM CD SINGLE SEALED 2007 RUG254CD Dance US $13.66 Buy It Now 1 day
BRAINSTORM - Wake Up And Be Somebody (2 Versions) (Promo) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE MOORE / MAJEURE Brainstorm NEW LP Vinyl PROG Tangerine Dream ZOMBI Goblin US $22.99 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM "WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY c/w WE KNOW A PLACE" LISTEN! US $34.19 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Young MC Cassettes~Brainstorm~Stone Cold Rhymin'~Hip Hop Rap~FAST SHIPPING!!! US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Stormin' (2013) US $11.12 Buy It Now 2 days
@ CD Brainstorm - Ambiquity / METAL BLADE RECORDS 2000 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - On The Spur Of The Moment CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Melvin Moore - Rain Go Away - BRAINSTORM RECORDS - Modern Soul US $8.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - We're On Our Way Home (Tabu AS 433) promo US $15.55 [2 bids]
CX- Hip Hop's Back / Brainstorm-12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
marvin YOUNG M.C(MC)Brainstorm-LOS ANGELES CA.Hip Hop/Rap/R&B/West Coast/TAPE US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM early in the morning / movin used 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Young Mc - Brainstorm (1991) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Firesoul [CD New] US $15.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm: Hot for you rare UK Tabu extended 12" US $5.83 Buy It Now 2 days
MITCHEL MUSSO - BRAINSTORM * [MITCHEL MUSSO] - NEW CD US $10.35 Buy It Now 2 days
Richard Grey Pres Brainstorm - Pissed Off Joia #173695 US $6.82 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - FIRESOUL NEW CD US $25.14 Buy It Now 2 days
TYRANT "Legions of the dead"ORG cd Brainstorm 96,Jag Panzer,Savage Grace,Omen US $74.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bizzy B- Brainstorm E.P. - Brain 1992 LISTEN US $34.19 Buy It Now 2 days
The Osmonds "Brainstorm" 1976 Pop LP, VG+, Vinyl US $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Brainstorm - Journey to the Light CD sealed OOP rare US $54.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MITCHEL MUSSO - Brainstorm - CD Mini-Album *8 Tracks* US $3.85 Buy It Now 2 days
BRAINSTORM - STORMIN - TABU BQL1-2048 US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
True Roll Model by Brotheredge 1993 WAL BAI Brainstorm Artists International CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Vinyl Record The Osmonds Brainstorm US $1.37 [0 bids]
BRAINSTORM-FUNKY ENTERTAINMENT +1-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM-STORMIN' +5-JAPAN CD D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT [BRAINSTORM (6~METAL - NEW CD US $13.67 Buy It Now 3 days
Raw A Brainstorm Compendium CD Undercover Deliverance Dig Hay Zoose XL with DBD! US $7.89 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM Journey To The Light Tabu Expanded Edition (CD 2013) bonus tracks NEW US $11.95 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM "A Day Before.." RARE UKR TAPE CASSETTE LATVIAN ALTERNATIVE BRITPOP US $4.49 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM**LIQUID MONSTER**CD US $8.82 Buy It Now 3 days
Kirsty Maccoll, Tropical Brainstorm Audio CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Firesoul - Brainstorm US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Firesoul - Brainstorm US $14.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Deliverance River disturbance - 1994 Brainstorm US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Brainstorm Atmospheric Ambient Grooves cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ARCTIC MONKEYS FAVOURITE WORST NIGHTMARE CD FLOURESCENT ADOLESCENT BRAINSTORM US $4.77 Buy It Now 3 days
THE OSMONDS "Brainstorm" DONNY Brain Storm 1976 VG++ LP US $12.95 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAINSTORM - ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK - LP - RARE PROMO!!! US $8.44 [0 bids]
CHICO FREEMAN / BRAINSTORM - THRESHOLD NEW VINYL US $25.26 Buy It Now 3 days
YOUNG M.C. / BRAINSTORM US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM ** Wake Up And Be Somebody ** UK RCA US $6.82 [0 bids]
Freeman,Chico & Brainstorm - Threshold [Vinyl New] US $19.39 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM SOUNDTRACK LP 474 US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM - DOWNBURST - SEALED LIMITED CD IMPORT 3D COVER BONUS TRACKS NEW US $8.75 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM - MEMORIAL ROOTS - AFMCD262 US $22.27 Buy It Now 4 days
Titchy Bitch & Fallen Angel - Brainstorm - 2002 #113574 US $5.11 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM. Best songs. Rare RUS VIGMA label. US $14.90 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM - FUNKY ENTERTAINMENT - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $21.67 Buy It Now 4 days
SOUL 45 - BRAINSTORM - WAKE UP AND BE SOMEBODY - TOBU JB-10811 PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ROY HYTOWER 45 YOU PLEASE ME - BRAINSTORM - SOUL US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MIDNIGHT DARKNESS "Holding the night" ORG cd Brainstorm 90,Stormwitch,Tyrant US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BRAINSTORM - Downburst (CD) NEW SEALED US $12.99 [0 bids]
Lost Dogs Little Red Riding Hood @1993 Brainstorm WAL CD US $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Brainstorm by James Horner (CD, Oct-1990, VarŠse Sarabande (USA)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Brainstorm By The Osmonds Vinyl 1976 (PD-1-6077) LP1404445 US $4.25 Buy It Now 4 days
Bloomsday "The Day the Colors Died" Gene Eugene Brainstorm Artists Int. MINT!!! US $6.79 Buy It Now 5 days
Disco Soul BRAINSTORM Stormin ORIG BQL1-2048 EB206 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Brainstorm - Hot for You 12" Single UK Disco NM- Tabu TBU 13 7341 US $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BRAINSTORM - EVERY TIME I SEE YOU, I GO WILD / LOVING JUST YOU 45 SINGLE VINYL US $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BRAINSTORM - Every Time I See You I Go Wild / Loving Just You 7" 45 SINGLE VINYL US $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CHINCHILLA Madness CD 2000 New & Sealed PARAGON ELDRITCH BRAINSTORM SQUEALER US $10.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chico & Brainstorm Freeman - Threshold LP Jacket Vinyl Record LP US $19.90 Buy It Now 5 days
BRAINSTORM - Hot For You - DISCO US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Brainstorm - Journey To The Light 1978/1995 CD 1st Press US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Brainstorm - Journey To The Light 1978 / 2002 CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Gravestone - 2 albums CD 1990 Aurophon Brainstorm West-Germany US $69.00 Buy It Now 5 days
BRAINSTORM - FIRESOUL - AFMCD468 US $23.12 Buy It Now 5 days
Roy Hytower Brainstorm 127 You Please Me and Your Good Man Is Going Bad US $7.20 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy BRAINSTORM music online Buy BRAINSTORM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRAINSTORM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRAINSTORM Smile A While ratings distribution

BRAINSTORM Smile A While reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars BRAINSTORM were a German Canterbury band... that's right kids... a German Canterbury band offering very complex songs dripping with fusion flute and saxophones performances. I would not recommend this album to anyone who does not love fusion as this album is pretty heavy in its core fusion delivery. BRAINSTORM take dimensions of SOFT MACHINE and whip in elements of CARAVAN, John COLTRANE and NATIONAL HEALTH. "Smile A While" was their first release under the name of BRAINSTORM but they were originally know as "Fashion Pink". This album is full of dynamic and inventive jazz influenced progressive rock and membership in the band includes the zainy GURU GURU band Member Roland Schaeffer.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#30717) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This has been featured on a number of ‘worst album cover’ lists over the years, and you can certainly see why. At least The Mothers of Invention had the decency to mostly cover themselves and restrict their photo to the chest up when they had a similar cover. I wonder if this is where the Go-Gos got the idea for their first album cover? One of these guys ended up in Guru Guru, another band known for tasteless album covers, which is not surprising I suppose.

The music is Canterbury, or at least it is as near as I can tell. Sort of a slightly-mad fusion kind of thing going on, which is largely how I hear Canterbury, so I suppose that fits. The musicians seem to have a sort of self-deprecating sense of humor, so I’ll give them credit for that.

According to the band’s notes they were previously known as Fashion Floyd as a sort of sick tribute to Pink Floyd, but changed their names, probably to avoid confusion (not!).

Nothing really to get excited about for the most part. “Bosco Biati WeiB Alles” features a drum solo, which is pretty weird for a fusion album. And the opening of “Snakeskin Tango” sounds like a singer whose crotch is caught in the mic stand grip. There are also a few live tracks which are comparatively more straightforward upbeat jazz with some pretty decent guitar work and a lot more vocals in a rather funky vein.

But overall this is clearly something that hasn’t held up well over time, and is probably best relegated to the collections of fans of the band (if there are any). And yes – I’ll admit I was only interested in this album to hear what kind of music would be covered by such a gaudy picture. Can’t say I’m overly surprised. Two stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#127480) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Review by BaldFriede
4 stars Brainstorm were a German band that played fusion with a sense of humour. This can clearly be heard on this album. They certainly did not take themselves too seriously. While I would not say these guys defined the genre in any new way, one has to keep in mind that it was still a pretty young genre back then. I personally like their second album better than their first; my favourites are Bosco Biati Weiss Alles and the Snakeskin Tango, which has some outrageous vocals at the beginning. The cover is simply hilarious; I don't know about the CD version, but the vinyl version had a lot more photos of them in their costumes on the backside, in which they sometimes assume ridiculous poses. 3.5 stars for this album; since I have the feeling this album has been done some injustice I will round it up to 4.

Send comments to BaldFriede (BETA) | Report this review (#160191) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars OK, cover of this album is absolutely terrible, we all can agree on this simple fact. But we don't listen prog because of image, right ? And about music, I can say that it's standard prog jazz (or Canterbury if you want), nothing special. With few nasty surprises, Zappa-like (supposed to be like) features and shouts of craziness., but done in a way that I can't admire so much. I wanted, but for that, this music would have to be more deep and interesting, so far, it's just randomly (so even it's not predictable, it's still plain) changing styles.

3(-), no, this is not the way how it should be done.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#248869) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

4 stars I consider BRAINSTORM and EIDER STELLAIRE as my two biggest discoveries of 2011. I must admit that I wasn't expecting much when I purchased BRAINSTORM's two studio albums mainly because of the low ratings on this site, which by the way leave me somewhat baffled. They were a German Jazz / Fusion band who began as FASHION PINK before changing their name to BRAINSTORM. It was a fairly new concept back then this idea of businessmen brainstorming ideas and they liked the meaning of that name in relation to their music. These guys were all virtuosos, playing the most complex passages with ease. It was when they were called FASHION PINK that the guys discovered the music of SOFT MACHINE, Frank Zappa, CARAVAN and the like and so they started to make more complex music. The keyboardist especially liked the sound of Mike Ratledge and Dave Stewart's distorted keyboards and promptly did the same with his.They also used echo effects and decided that what little vocals they did use would be in English. Now the album cover is controversial no doubt about it. It's one thing to dress-up like women ala Frank Zappa and MAX WEBSTER album covers both of which are hilarious, but to dress-up in women's undergarments ? I should mention that Roland the sax player would go on to play with both GURU GURU and EMBRYO.

"Das Schwein Trugt" hits the ground running and you gotta love the distortion. It settles before 1 1/2 minutes as the sax solos tastefully. It kicks back in at 3 1/2 minutes as we get some nasty organ that comes and goes. "Zwick Zwick" opens with the drums, flute and sax standing out. It's just a pleasure listening to each one of these guys play. The distorted organ after 3 minutes brings SOFT MACHINE to mind. "Watch Time Flow By" is a vocal track and he really sounds like his singing has been influenced by Robert Wyatt and Richard Sinclair. A beat with flute helps out. "Bosco Biati Weiss Alles" is Jazzy with prominant bass, sax, drums and more. A drum show 3 1/2 minutes in then some distorted organ 5 minutes in followed by a calm with vocal melodies. Nice. It kicks back in again as contrasts continue. We get an intense finish.

"Snakeship Tango" has some crazy sax then vocal expressions as a catchy soundscape takes over. "Smile A While" has these deep bass sounds with atmosphere to start. It picks up 1 1/2 minutes in and builds with the sax leading then flute. This is great ! Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in are brief then the flute leads again. More fuzz after 6 minutes. Nice. A calm before 8 1/2 minutes then the sax starts to lead. It settles with flute after 10 minutes and we get reserved vocals before 12 1/2 minutes in this laid back section. It kicks in again as he sings "Smile a while" and we get more fuzz late. Killer stuff. "You Are What's Gonna Make It Last" is catchy with vocals and some guitar too. I like it ! "Don't Forget" is the very short closing instrumental. I have to mention the first bonus track called "Thesen & Antithesen" because it sounds amazing and it goes on for 14 minutes.

A very solid 4 stars and one that SOFT MACHINE and MOVING GELATINE PLATES fans might want to check out. Enjoy the cover boys !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#579345) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 01, 2011

5 stars Brainstorm were one of the very first German jazz-rock bands i ever knew about-living in Canada, where the band is virtually unknown, having Smile A While was like connecting with a needle in a haystack. But, boy, do i feel lucky I stumbled across this brilliant gem.Though with one of the worst a ... (read more)

Report this review (#874226) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really a god job! I was searching for some recordings simillar to music that Soft Machine did in their "classic" years and that was IT. Simillar and still - very innovative. "Smile A While" (actually I did smiled after taking a quick glance on nic kitsch cover) starts with a nice blast of "Das ... (read more)

Report this review (#643011) | Posted by b-side | Wednesday, February 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Blooarrghh! I'm sorry, that was me being sick all over my Mac after looking at the front cover. What on earth were they thinking on??!! Easily the worst record sleeve in the history of music. I mean, for crying out loud, what they're wearing is what I found in my mums washing basket when I ... (read more)

Report this review (#299722) | Posted by Dobermensch | Sunday, September 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRAINSTORM "Smile A While "